A Fool Looks Back

McDonald's (NYSE: MCD  ) disappointed investors after posting negative store-level comps for February, but its largest franchisee is holding up just fine. Arcos Dorados (NYSE: ARCO  ) -- the franchisee of nearly 2,000 McDonald's restaurants across Latin America and the Caribbean -- posted healthy quarterly results on Friday.

Net income did slip, but revenue moved higher, fueled by an 8.6% systemwide comparable sales increase. That's a welcome contrast to McDonald's on a global basis. Late last year, Mickey D's posted its first month of negative comps in 10 years. But Arcos Dorados appears to have coasted through the global softness last quarter.

Arcos Dorados -- whose name is Spanish for "Golden Arches: -- may be a rare play where the franchisee is the smarter play than the concept owner.

Briefly in the news
And now let's take a quick look at some of the other stories that shaped our week.

  • Facebook (NASDAQ: FB  ) is redesigning its news feed. The social-networking website's users will now be treated to larger photos and videos as well great customization. Oh, no! This is how MySpace started. Be careful!
  • Arena Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: ARNA  ) is still waiting to introduce its approved anti-obesity drug, but it did post a larger loss than Wall Street was expecting in its latest quarter. A loss may be great news for those who take Arena's Belviq, but investors see big losses differently.
  • SolarCity (NASDAQ: SCTY  ) darkened after posting its first quarterly report as a public company. The solar installer posted a much larger loss than analysts were targeting, and revenue also fell well short of Wall Street projections. Maybe the sun will come out tomorrow?

A new investing idea
The amount of data we store every year is growing by a mind-boggling 60% annually! To make sense of this trend and pick out a winner, The Motley Fool has compiled a new report called "The Only Stock You Need to Profit From the NEW Technology Revolution." The report highlights a company that has gained 300% since first recommended by Fool analysts but still has plenty of room left to run. To get instant access to the name of this company transforming the IT industry, click here -- it's free.


Read/Post Comments (11) | Recommend This Article (0)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On March 09, 2013, at 7:05 AM, RSRdriver wrote:

    You know, mentioning a stock (ARNA) just to get trained, brainwashed moron clicks can backfire on you

    Ask Flagboy over at Seeking Alpo. He has been trying to lose his connection to the Areniac fiasco for about his last 5 "articles". This after spending the last year or so blatantly pumping ARNA every other day!

  • Report this Comment On March 09, 2013, at 8:44 AM, arbo99 wrote:

    I find it very interesting that you comment negatively on ARNA. BUT YOU DO NOT COMMENT on the very poor launch from VVUS or that a group of disitant shareholders are trying to replace the board of directors currently serving VIVUS. SO what is your motive. "FOOL".

  • Report this Comment On March 09, 2013, at 8:58 AM, Walsher wrote:

    Rsdriver is a known Arna short and is well known on the seeking alpha and yahoo boards. Don't expect a reply to your post Arbo because he has nothing to offer but to bash Arna. The one thing I will say that rsdriver and the rest of the shorts have firm control of the stock but that will change soon with the launch on he horizon and when solid sales data comes in. This will not happen overnight but it will happen!

  • Report this Comment On March 09, 2013, at 1:42 PM, RSRdriver wrote:

    Get real! The reason that ARNA has remained in the top shorted list is because it is obvious that the run up was a mega con job and the drug is useless!

    Just as the answers that Arena can only resubmit to the EU CHMP will fail, so will a drug that works 1/3 as well and costs 40% more than it's competition.

    The DEA scheduling is not written in stone yet either!

    Why don't you research 2C serotonin receptor drugs or the ADCOM before spouting off BS just to save face. Anyone on the long end of this trade at this point is either brainwashed (Areniacs) or has their head up their ...!

  • Report this Comment On March 09, 2013, at 3:22 PM, biogemfinder wrote:

    RSdribble and his short buddies are finished. Finally the hedegescums and so called WS investors walking upto the fact that VVUS drug is the biggest con of all times and after dismall performance they are trying to replace the board of thieves and con men.

    With the looming Belviq launch their lies are about to come to light. No matter how much bashing and misinformation they spread..fact will always remain a fact. Its not what you say counts RSdribble and Adumb Fartstain, its what the FDA decides, its how the DEA classifies, and its how the obesity specialists view the safety and efficacy of Belviq.

    If you are keeping scores...the so called areniacs have been right about ARNA and the so called WS analysts have been wrong and continue to beleive somehow they will be proven right. Its not going to be.

    Do you remember any analysts, including adumb fartsatin being right before the adcom about Belviq? He was way off. So based on the history..you and your short buddies are likely to be wrong about CHMP is opinion about belviq. Think for a second, if EU was really concenred about the safety of Belviq..why would they approve testing belviq in pediatric population? They denied that for qsymia.

    I am so sick and tired of your dribble..I really hope the belviq gets the final ruling soon and the launch happenes right away...I am sure you will have loser's excuse even when the sales are better than what ws expects and even when EU approves..

    I am sure you will say it was all conspiracy by the arenaics to bribe the eu..right? If DEA does grant the waiver..the final ruling is likely to be next week....

  • Report this Comment On March 09, 2013, at 3:57 PM, Walsher wrote:

    Rsdriver is getting more desperate by the day with his I know you are but what am I comments about Arna. Probably drives around in a corvette to compensate for his small johnson as well. The clock is ticking to cover your short!

  • Report this Comment On March 09, 2013, at 7:59 PM, RSRdriver wrote:

    Typical Areniac responses to the facts about Belviq! Everyone knows your up to your eyeballs in worthless calls and this pathetic nonsense is all you have.

  • Report this Comment On March 09, 2013, at 8:15 PM, CorruptedSoul wrote:

    RSRDriver - typical VVUS-cleft palate pumptagrd is too stupid to understand VVUS' about to get flush in the toilet (next quarter). Stop bashing ARNA and start worrying about your bank account SON

  • Report this Comment On March 09, 2013, at 11:35 PM, Walsher wrote:

    How about responses from actual Arna stock owners that believe In the company and the future of the stock.........come on RS just admit your a short! You had your time now its about to swing back to us longs who get to double dip after the run right after approval!

  • Report this Comment On March 10, 2013, at 11:15 AM, gazoo99 wrote:

    The main reason RSRdriver's so bent out of shape is that he was caught with his pants down buying VVUS at $30.00. Now he's in the ditch at $12.00. It's really pi$$ing him off. LMAO!

    To get him to own up to this is impossible..... all he does is bad mouth the new & effective "real novel drug" which is going to market in days. He's so mad that he has purchased and Shorted ARNA..... OOPS there's another mistake huh RSRdriver???

    Looks like you're in for a DOUBLE WHAMMY in your pocket book. Hope you have lots of swamp land in Florida to cover your loses.

    No wonder you should be taking ANGER MANAGEMENT!

    By the way...... in case you haven't noticed................

    WE ARE ALL ON TO YOU AND YOUr ANTICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Report this Comment On March 10, 2013, at 11:17 AM, gazoo99 wrote:

    Oh.....By The Way...... RSRdribble...............

    First Manhattan wants to replace "8" board members of VVUS.

    First thing that comes to mind is:

    The Dumb@$#es running the company now can't sell there way out of a wet paper bag. They are going to spend it's cash at stupid ways of marketing. For examlpe,

    Giving it away for trial.

    Cutting the price so deep there's no return on investment for the company / shareholders.

    And last but not least, an APP, that doesn't even work properly, come on guys..... that's a bit much don't you think.

    I smell desparation..............

    That's why First Manhattan wants control....

    Also why others with large stakes in this company want to try and salvage what they have left in funds before the whole thing goes broke.

    Wait for the dillution..... more share offerings to fund this dead horse. "VVUS"

    Interesting....very interesting......

Add your comment.

DocumentId: 2303237, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 4/19/2014 11:15:26 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...


Advertisement