Why Windows 8 Might Not Save Microsoft

With mobile technology often seen as the future of computing, investors and consumers everywhere have waited anxiously for news on Microsoft's recently launched Windows 8 platform. Although numbers have been hard to track down, some of the data points that have emerged about Microsoft's big bet on mobile haven't been as encouraging as some had hoped. In the following video, our tech analyst, Andrew Tonner, sits down with Brendan Byrnes to break down how investors should look at these numbers amid a struggling PC market.

It's been a frustrating path for Microsoft investors, who've watched the company fail to capitalize on the incredible growth in mobile over the past decade. However, with the release of its own tablet, along with the widely anticipated Windows 8 operating system, the company is looking to make a splash in this booming market. In this brand-new premium report on Microsoft, our analyst explains that while the opportunity is huge, the challenges are many. He's also providing regular updates as key events occur, so make sure to claim a copy of this report now by clicking here.

• Report this Comment On March 23, 2013, at 1:12 PM, kjdfd wrote:

Are you a serious? Why do you think Microsoft needs saving. I am sure just the fact that Exchange, Office and SharePoint alone keeps the business healthy. Business can't survive without the software that Microsoft supplies. Write a better article next time.

• Report this Comment On March 23, 2013, at 2:45 PM, randomjack420 wrote:

they need saving because they are making stupid decesions. Im an avid gamer and was very much looking foward to micrsofts next console that is coming out this fall. however with the rumors that have been speculated about having an always on internet connection and not being able to play used games there are a lot of dedicated Xbox players that are already saying that under these terms they will be going to Sony PS4. if these rumors turn out to be true they look at loosing BILLIONS of dollars. Not to mention that anyone I know that has gotten their hands on windows 8 thinks its crap.

• Report this Comment On March 23, 2013, at 3:40 PM, DerkThunder wrote:

@mylove4life

" this guys an idiot. MS had record sales last year in server and Windows OS's"

You don't know what you are talking about. Last year Microsoft posted their very first quarterly loss EVER!

And I'm assuming these "record sales" that you are talking about is when Microsoft announced that they had sold "60 million" Windows 8 licenses.

But the thing is that number is complete bulls--t. The vast majority of those 60 million licenses were to OEM's to pre-install on their machines before they headed to retail outlets to be sold.

And the vast majority of those 60 million licenses are still sitting on store shelves and warehouses because consumers aren't buying windows 8.

Not to mention that Microsoft made similar announcements about how they were selling tens of millions of Windows Vista licenses. And when the dust settled and they could no longer hide the real numbers on Vista it actually came out that they had sold less than 10% of what they had previously claimed.

The real indicators (like w3 schools and other independent 3rd party trackers) all point to the fact that windows 8 is selling at about half the rate Vista did. And Vista is UNIVERSALLY recognized as a sales failure.

Long story short... This OS is terrible, and that's why it's not selling. Pure and simple.

• Report this Comment On March 23, 2013, at 4:19 PM, ativoj wrote:

@DerkThunder: As mentioned by mylove4life, MSFT took a $6.2 Billion loss for the acquisition of Acquantive. They took that loss only for that quarter. They made profits in FY12.

• Report this Comment On March 23, 2013, at 6:11 PM, bchbum57 wrote:

MS may have had record sales....but it wasn't due to Windows 8. I upgraded to Windows 8 and once the system rebooted - my PC could not recover from the upgrade. This resulted in me having to take my PC to a Windows store and spend over 6 hours while they restored my computer to a functioning state. I also had issues with some of the software that I had just purchased a year ago when I was running Windows 7 - guess what - not compatible with Windows 8 - money down the drain. I find Windows 8 extremely difficult to navigate around in and it appears that you lost a lot of quick functionality that now requires you to Google what you want to do in a Windows 8 environment. I for one will never purchase a Windows product of any type.....next PC or notebook....heading right to Apple. Windows 8 SUCKS.

• Report this Comment On March 23, 2013, at 7:11 PM, AlwaysRunning wrote:

@DerkThunder

"This OS is terrible, and that's why it's not selling."

Not true at all. The UI is terrible, and that's why it is not selling.

Vista was an awful OS. It was bloated, clunky and just didn't work right. Windows 8 is actually a very nimble, well designed OS, better than Windows 7. The problem is that Microsoft is trying to force an idiotic tablet interface on Desktop users. The fact that they blew off all calls to simply include the old Start menu as an option shows very poor decision making, no doubt; however it would only take a single update to fix the issue.

• Report this Comment On March 23, 2013, at 7:19 PM, DerkThunder wrote:

Did I say they lost money all year? No.

I said they posted their first quarterly loss ever. And yes I'm well aware of the reason for that loss. It was because Steve Balmer made a stupid deal to waste 6 billion on an ad network that wasn't worth anything close to that.

And this is the same genius who decided that it's a good idea to force a touch screen interface onto a desktop market that is 99% non-touch.

and @mylove4life

I don't use apple products you silly little nitwit. I use windows 7 and android. I'm not some hipster Apple fan who wants to be trendy. I'm a business owner with employees and we all have work to get done with our computers.

I'm a life long fan of windows despite their ability to consistently screw up every other release. Windows 8 is poorly designed and only impedes getting work done. It does not enhance it in any way.

But since you are one of those bottom of the barrel users who just wants to check facebook and read tweets you can't possibly understand why someone wouldn't like an operating system that glues two environments together, and forces users to switch back and forth between them to get anything done.

• Report this Comment On March 23, 2013, at 7:21 PM, DerkThunder wrote:

@AlwaysRunning

I completely agree with you that underlying the framework of windows 8 is probably fantastic and a true engineering marvel and that the poorly designed UI is why it's not selling.

But I don't think it's unreasonable to consider the UI part of the operating system. So it's more than fair to say that windows 8 is a terrible operating system if the user interface is terrible.

• Report this Comment On March 23, 2013, at 7:50 PM, ciaranobrien wrote:

Windows os jumped the shark after XP. 7 is a disastor and 8 is a joke

• Report this Comment On March 23, 2013, at 8:04 PM, AlwaysRunning wrote:

@DerkThunder

Yes, I'd agree that the whole should be judged by the sum of its parts, and the market is clearly speaking to that. However once you get past the Metro interface--and it is quick to get past--the usability of Windows 8 is perfectly fine, which is what I think a lot of people don't realize when they utterly blow off the system.

Windows 8 needs an update to bring back the old Start menu as an option, and I'll admit that I'm not letting it near my programming machine, but for most use cases and most people it's simply a matter of a really terrible first impression.

• Report this Comment On March 23, 2013, at 8:33 PM, Dvoraak wrote:

W8 is junk but I really wish it wasn't. I love mobility and don't mind spending a premium for it. This Sony Duo 11 I'm typing on is an amazing piece of engineering but the Windows 8 installed on it is a train wreck. I can't run any DAW software on it because the dll files cause Excel to crash..... which it does with no clues or error messages. It simply won't open. I had to diagnose the dll problem myself and it seems to have fixed it. As a long time iOS and Android user I've got no problems with Metro except that it's not integrated with the desktop. TWO versions of Internet Explorer? And one will run flash and the other won't. What a mess.

• Report this Comment On March 23, 2013, at 8:41 PM, techy46 wrote:

With mobile technology often seen as the future of computing - by who? Waht kind of computing are you guys talking about? Enterprises are not going to carry their enterprise applications and data centers around on their phones. Where do you think all the accounting, automation and content production is going to occur. Data centers, servers, are growing faster and larger everyday. Me thinks someone wants to pump and dump Google just like they finished doing Apple.

• Report this Comment On March 23, 2013, at 8:49 PM, tech4all wrote:

@ mylove4life - When you start referring to Apple as "crapple" you make yourself look like an immature idiot. You're just mindless fanboy and hater of Apple. Nothing more. Nothing less. A educated mature person can speak about all companies without resorting to name calling. I admit I did that as a kid, but I guess some people never grow up. I use Mac, PC and Android. I think iOS is boring and needs serious reworking by John Ive. I like Apple. I like Google. I like Windows 7. I'm not some mindless fanboy who acts childish by making stupid names. I grew up which more than I can say for you and some others here. Get a life.

@ Derkthunder -"I use windows 7 and android. I'm not some hipster Apple fan who wants to be trendy." If you think Windows 7 and Android doesn't make you a hipster or trendy, then you perception of society is laughable at best.

I read Mac forums a lot and thought those fanboys were insane. Guess it applies to both sides. You can't get anywhere in a debate with them because they have one-track mind.

iFanBoys, FanDroids, WinBoys or w/e you call them. All the same useless talk.

Anyone with half a brain can state the pros and cons of each brand without speaking useless dribble.

• Report this Comment On March 23, 2013, at 10:11 PM, thaymessedup wrote:

thay gave microsoftto china and thats how it got messed up

• Report this Comment On March 23, 2013, at 10:38 PM, pissed543 wrote:

All Microsoft needs to do to stay solvent is stop giving millions of unrelated search results and give ONE result that provides direct matching result for exact search phrase entered. By doing this they would gain thousands of users thereby enhancing their market share by an enormous percentage . the more users , the more advertisers!

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2013, at 12:03 AM, hump8389 wrote:

So most people agree that Windows 8 sucks. Pretty well known fact. I personally use and love windows 7. I am sure someone is already typing a response to this, but it's a simple fact that the majority of the population does not like windows 8. It has been more stable through all my overclocking ventures and video game and 3d rendering than any other os. So if this is their last chance to be successful, which I have no real clue how truthful this is, they are screwed. Trying to use an OS that is known to be terrible on phones isn't really going to lure people over. I remember windows phones in the past and I hated them back then. I can't imagine I would enjoy using a windows phone now with an os i do not like. Microsoft posted how poor the xbox is when it comes to their bottom line, so it sounds like their only real chance is to make sure no one ever develops a business suite like they have in office. Maybe they will get this os thing down again, but it sure isn't windows 8.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2013, at 12:24 AM, Bilbobaker wrote:

I didn't like Win 8 till I downloaded and installed a start menu.

Now it's just fine.

I think nearly every pc in the world still relies on Win x of some flavor.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2013, at 12:45 AM, higgsparticular wrote:

You seem to constantly run teaser stories attacking MSFT, often based on nothing more than impressions and anecdotal selective information. What would be more impressive would be a comprehensive review of the nature of Windows 8 in comparison to prior new Windows entries, and how that might affect the rate, trial and adoption of this technological leap for MS across different user groups (consumer, enterprise). As an expert in trend analysis, I can tell you that it was a mistake to expect a rapid adoption of Windows 8 for a variety of reasons. Various macroeconomic, business cycle, restriction on touch screen supply, hesitation by PC partners likely combined with the great satisfaction with the existing Windows 7 (in contrast to 7 coming in to replace the horrible Vista) as well as resistance to the new form factor of the live tile Start Screen, all combined to put a drag on early adoption. But several secular and developmental factors are likely to yield a gradually accelerating adoption of Windows 8 across platforms, especially in the enterprise as a new upgrade cycle kicks in and support for older Windows OS disappear (as in 2014) Once that reaches a critical mass, Windows 8 growth may well surprise you and exceed lowered expectations.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2013, at 1:03 AM, higgsparticular wrote:

Regarding the criticism of the Windows 8 UI, actually, once one understands the relationship between the Start Screen and the Desktop Screen, and how easy it is to customize each, this becomes less of an issue. I was able to figure out how to create icons on both the Desktop and on the Start Screen for access to the File Explorer, Control Panel and Computer screens--and get more direct access than through the old Start Button. In fact, the display of applications via the Start Screen, with the full screen presentation via icons of all the programs is far superior to the vertical alphabetical list found in Windows 7 and prior Windows. I also find the Windows 8 Start Screen apps a refreshing change and more useful and faster to read for browsing and reading news stories and technical articles. Finally, I think the design of a "catholic" or universal interface and OS across all platforms, from PC's through tablets and smartphones quite brilliant and game changing. I predict Windows 8 ultimately will cause serious agita for both Apple and Android platforms. Windows is arguably the gold standard and dominant OS for computers worldwide and the opening up of mobile will ultimately change the playing field profoundly.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2013, at 1:21 AM, 110254545yy wrote:

so many basic problems.

Softie has lost it's touch?

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2013, at 2:44 AM, DerkThunder wrote:

@ higgsparticular "Regarding the criticism of the Windows 8 UI, actually, once one understands the relationship between the Start Screen and the Desktop Screen, and how easy it is to customize each, this becomes less of an issue."

As a business owner and web site manager I have 3 employees. If I have to first take 6 weeks to get used to this operating system myself, and then try to train my employees on it by the time it's all said and done I've wasted about 5 months worth of productivity. And for what? What does windows 8 offer in return for this investment of time? Apps.... Yay. it's all worth while now! This is a joke, they could have still given a touch interface, and all those apps in a separate area WITHOUT removing the start menu and moving everything around.

Side note when I moved my employees from windows XP to windows 7 they required absolutely no extra training. I installed the software they needed and they immediately knew how to use the operating system. Duhhh?! Wasn't that the genius behind windows in the first place?

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2013, at 7:38 AM, Dvoraak wrote:

@myloveforlife - Read much? I didn't say Excel doesn't work on it. I said DAW dll files cause it to crash. They never did on W7. Since you don't reference DAW experience on W8 I'm going to guess you don't know what I'm talking about. I also mentioned that Metro and the desktop aren't well integrated. It's true and I guess you know it since you ignored that part.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2013, at 11:55 AM, higgsparticular wrote:

Dirk Thunder:

"Microsoft themselves say it takes about 6 weeks to fully get used to, and they are probably low balling it."

The term "fully" as in fully used to it is like saying, getting fully familiar with the Universe. One can never get fully used to Windows 8 as it is constantly evolving in it apps and capabilities. All I can say is that a friend of mine who is pretty much a computer bumpkin is now using Windows 8 on his new HP PC tower, with less than an hour of instruction and exploration. Microsoft is very conservative in saying you need 6 weeks here. Also remember this fact in adoption of technology trends, as more people learn the lay of the land, the shortcuts and the tricks, these get passed on to the novices, so the learning curve accelerates. This pattern is well documented by the vast number of "how to" blogs and even YouTube type how to videos that flood the Google, Bing and Yahoo searches. But a good of acceleration of competencies with the new OS involves direct help and counsel from friends, neighbors and co-workers. Beyond the concept of "getting used to Windows 8" others who experience it end up creating their own macros and apps once they grasp the new capabilities of the system.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2013, at 6:32 PM, Dvoraak wrote:

@mylove4life.... fanboy of what? The Asus G74Sx with W7 that I use for gaming? The Sony Vaio Duo 11 I'm typing this from with W8? The Galaxy Note 2 I use for a phone and occasional tablet? The iPhones I used previously but gave up?

I can have an informed discussion about most of the latest devices because I've owned or own them. I know informed discussions aren't what you're looking for though. Keep tossing names and insults. That's bound to convince everyone that you know what you're talking about.

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 7:31 PM, GrammieJean wrote:

I was AGHAST at the 'shiny things' approach that Microsoft had taken with this new OS and its fun-filled apps. I may do a reload of Windows 7, MS Office 2007 if this doesn't settle down. Two 'must install' BIOS upgrades have wiped out all my customized changes....twice. I started using Windows v2 when apps launched as DOS in a Windows frame. I'm old, not dumb or dead, definitely not a gamer, or a goner....yet! If the business community purchases Windows 8, I may be able to leave retirement, return at age 70+ to lead PC-lost out of this land of the 20-somethings!