How Annaly's Executives Fleece Shareholders

Over the last two weeks, I haven't pulled many punches when it comes to Annaly Capital Management (NYSE: NLY  ) and its executives' flagrant attempt at maximizing their own fortunes at the expense of transparency and accepted norms of corporate governance. I'm referring here to a proposal up for vote at the upcoming shareholders meeting to externalize Annaly's management structure. If you're not familiar with this and you own shares of the high-yielding mortgage REIT, then check out either or both of the following articles: Annaly Has a Credibility Problem and/or How Annaly Is Obfuscating Facts to the Detriment of Shareholders.

In response to these articles, I've gotten one of two reactions from readers. Some express gratitude for the information, presumably because they believe being aware of facts is better than being ignorant of them. Others can hardly contain their disdain, question my motivations, and/or suggest that I'm ignorant of what I'm talking about. To those of you in the latter group, I'm writing to address the overarching argument that Annaly's executives deserve impunity from criticism because of the performance of the company's shares over the last few years.

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, the issue here concerns the integrity of the top executives at Annaly -- and, for that matter, its publically traded subsidiaries Chimera Investment Corporation (NYSE: CIM  ) and CreXus Investment Corporation (UNKNOWN: CXS.DL.DL  ) . Over the last few years, they've justified their exorbitant compensation packages by claiming that the payments are predicated on performance. Here's how Annaly frames it in a recent proxy filing (emphasis mine):

[W]e pay for performance by structuring compensation so that the majority of cash compensation is comprised of discretionary bonuses linked directly to the value of our stockholders' equity. ... However, the growth of our stockholders' equity is dependent on our ability to regularly access the capital markets. We do not believe we will be able to regularly access the capital markets on favorable terms unless the markets believe our financial performance, and our executives' management of risk, warrants it.

As you can see, Annaly is drawing a direct link between "performance" and the ability to "regularly access the capital markets on favorable terms" -- that is, issue new shares. But here's the problem. Over the past 10 years, Annaly's outstanding share count has grown by more than 1,000%. Meanwhile, its total return to shareholders over this same time period is a much more modest 153% compared to the S&P 500's 122% return. Thus, any claim that Annaly's executives have earned their patently egregious payouts by dramatically outperforming the market or because they're merely getting paid for otherwise superior performance, simply isn't true.

NLY Total Return Price Chart

NLY Total Return Price data by YCharts.

It also isn't true that Annaly's executives are somehow industry sages who know how to position the company better than the leadership teams at other mortgage REITs. This was the opinion offered recently by a colleague of mine to justify the $25 million payout to Annaly's CEO last year. Unfortunately, the data doesn't support this. In fact, the opposite appears to be the case. The metric proving this is the constant prepayment rate -- that is, the proportion of principal in a loan portfolio that's paid off prematurely over a designated time period. In a low interest rate environment, a high CPR decreases a mortgage REIT's earnings, and vice versa. Well, it turns out that at the end of last year, Annaly's CPR was 19%, while American Capital Agency's (NASDAQ: AGNC  ) was 11% and ARMOUR Residential's (NYSE: ARR  ) was 12%. Thus, if anything, Annaly appears to be the worst positioned of the major players in its industry.

Look, at the end of the day, the issue isn't technically about how much Annaly's executives are paying themselves. While that is certainly relevant, the broader point concerns the way in which they've portrayed these payouts to shareholders. They claim their outrageous compensation packages are conditioned upon performance when that's only true in the most tangential sense. And they fuel the misplaced impression of their brilliance through quarterly pontifications on their conference calls in lieu of serious analysis. It's almost as if they're trying to hide something. Which, of course, they are.

If there's any doubt about this, Annaly's management externalization proposal, which is on the ballot for the upcoming shareholders' meeting in May, should smother any remaining questions. By proposing to outsource the management of Annaly to a private company owned by Annaly's executives, these individuals will no longer have to even create the illusion that they're being paid for performance, as any disclosure requirements will no longer plague their obviously compromised consciences.

Want to learn more about Annaly Capital Management?
There's no question Annaly Capital's double-digit dividend is eye-catching. But
can investors count on that payout sticking around? With the Federal Reserve keeping interest rates at historically low levels, Annaly has had to scramble to defend its bottom line. In The Motley Fool's premium research report on Annaly, senior analysts Ilan Moscovitz and Matt Koppenheffer uncover the key challenges the company faces and divulge three reasons investors may consider buying it. Simply click here now to claim your copy today!


Read/Post Comments (5) | Recommend This Article (4)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On March 28, 2013, at 3:25 PM, meddguy wrote:

    What you say makes sense, but the way you say it makes it seem like you have an axe to grind.

  • Report this Comment On March 28, 2013, at 3:42 PM, GreatOdinsRaven wrote:

    Agreed, and thanks for continuing to write about this concerning issue. NLY was my #1 REIT but I can no longer justify such a large position. Are they talented? Absolutely. But their income should be tied to outperformance in the sector and since that's clearly not happening, their outrageous salaries are unwarranted. Reducing my position in NLY to rebalance into AGNC and ARR.

  • Report this Comment On March 28, 2013, at 4:34 PM, JohnMaxfield37 wrote:

    meddguy -

    You make a valid point. Just to be clear, I actually don't have an axe to grind. I also don't have a position in Annaly either short or long.

    Absent these issues and others, I believe that I would own it, because I like the agency mREIT model. But the behavior of Annaly's executives raises too many red flags. It ranges from endemic nepotism, to accounting incompetence, to obfuscating the metrics underlying their compensation.

    Thanks for reading!

    John

  • Report this Comment On March 29, 2013, at 12:24 AM, techy46 wrote:

    Why is Annaly's CEO's $25 miiliion compensation such a big deal? Look at the compensation of these traders at banks and hedge funds that have been x4 to x10 times that $25 million. Look at Jamie Dimon's pay while JPM loses billions of depositors money on whale trades. Look at the banks that went belly up and the FDIC had to pick up the tab and no CEO's or CFO's were prosecuted under SOX. I've owned anywhere from 10,000 to 20,000 shares of NLY over the last 4 years and have recieved great dividends. I may do so for any year or two until the bond bubble bursts and real interest rates explode. Please write an article aboy why Ken Lewis isn't in jail for defrauding Bank of America shareholders.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 9:33 AM, invafl wrote:

    Another article made ref to another company that to consider pref stks. Safety etc. NLYPD and IVRPD. 8 to 8.6%, is this a really "smart" move?

Add your comment.

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2336753, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 11/26/2014 8:57:28 PM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...


Advertisement