Revealed: There Might Not Be a Huge Bubble Set to Explode (Our April Fool's Joke Explained)

It's time to come clean: We don't actually have a secret source in Davos, Switzerland, and we aren't producing batches and batches of Market Goggles.

Yesterday, April 1, was The Motley Fool's de facto annual holiday, and our special report, "The Hugest Bubble in History Set to Explode," was our April Fool's Day joke. We hope you enjoyed it. (Special thanks to the annoyed readers who, without realizing the day, wrote to chastise us over the word "Hugest" in the headline.)

Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble
With the S&P 500 wrapping up the first quarter at a record high, there are quite a few pundits, of course, who do believe we are experiencing a market bubble right now.

At the website Minyanville, an anonymous source talks of an impending credit crisis, and warns, "When the music stops, there will be no chairs." The economic forecaster Harry Dent is far more precise, and declares that we'll have another crash by this summer. And just last Sunday, David Stockman, President Ronald Reagan's former budget director, wrote, "When the latest bubble pops, there will be nothing to stop the collapse. If this sounds like advice to get out of the markets and hide out in cash, it is."

On the other hand, professor Aswath Damodaran, a valuation expert from New York University, recently attempted to value the entire stock market, and he came away thinking "there are good reasons why US stock prices are elevated." He notes that cash flows are high right now, and growth prospects are encouraging. After completing his valuation exercise, Damodaran intends to "stop worrying about the overall market and go back to finding undervalued companies."

So, are we in a bubble or not?

We have no idea. It's likely, however, that the pundits who are predicting a crash in the near future have no idea either.

How much does a chimp charge?
Philip Tetlock, a professor of psychology at the University of Pennsylvania, has studied the performance of pundits, and the results aren't encouraging. He found that forecasters performed no better than the "proverbial dart-throwing chimp," and he also discovered that "the more famous the expert, the less accurate his or her predictions tended to be."

Tetlock did learn that some pundits performed better than others. The better forecasters tended to be "self-critical, eclectic thinkers who were willing to update their beliefs when faced with contrary evidence." The less successful ones were more like our secret source: overconfident, persuasive, and committed to some big, overarching vision.

Insist on accountability
Motley Fool co-founder David Gardner has been talking a lot lately about how we must insist on everyday accountability -- whether it's on a stock pick or a market call -- from our financial media. Investors need to be able to know which financial predictions to value, and which ones to discard. That's why we should all insist on clear track records from financial pundits and forecasters, regardless of their experience or reputation.

In our April Fool's joke, we noted that our secret source had a great track record, though we didn't offer anything substantial to support that fact -- which should have been an obvious red flag. Another red flag: Our source drenched his forecasts in mumbo-jumbo, convoluted charts, and obscure metaphors (likening his forecasted bubble to the "Indonesian Rupiah crisis of '58").

Fortunately, our secret source's prediction that precisely three global banks will go kaput by April 17 will be pretty easy to track. We'll, ahem, report back in 17 days on how that call turns out.

Time to tune out
Investors might be wise to ignore financial pundits altogether. History indicates that most investors cannot consistently time the market. Motley Fool contributor Morgan Housel recently showed why investors cannot profitably jump in and out of the market on just the right days. Over long time frames, the worst trading days often occur during the same periods and same months as the best trading days. Do you really think an anonymous Swiss analyst can help you discover the correct entry and exit points? Can the television pundits do any better?

Many of us are still understandably scarred by the S&P 500's 37% decline in 2008. Those who exited the market during that year missed a 27% gain in 2009. And a 15% gain in 2010. Since the market's low in March 2009, the S&P 500 has more than doubled. In retrospect, the wisest response to the biggest financial crisis since the Great Depression might have been to do nothing.

There they go again
We might sound like broken records, but we believe the wisest investing strategy involves regularly buying shares of outstanding businesses for the long term. For many ordinary investors, our only edge is our ability to hold on to our shares when the market temporarily stumbles, and brings our companies down with it. Trying to match wits with the never-ending supply of pundits, forecasters, and ex-government officials is truly a fool's game. Never forget for a moment that they are all making money the old-fashioned way: via their speaking fees and book deals.

While we were trying to make a few important points about investing in our April Fool's joke, some of it was also just plain silly. Google Glass, for example, will likely be an amazing innovation. But it's very unlikely that Market Goggles will catch on anytime soon. And Hormel may well be a good stock idea with a tasty dividend. But we take back that line about Spam being tasty as well. (You couldn't pay us enough to eat its bacon-flavored Spam.)

As part of our joke this year, we also created a fake job ad for a "Deep Thinker." The prospective hire was supposed to come up with big ideas, and was only allowed to go online once a week. This role underlines a great takeaway from this year's joke. We all need to do a bit more thinking, while paying a lot less attention to the constant market chatter on television and the Internet.

Warren Buffett once said you should only buy "something that you'd be perfectly happy to hold if the market shut down for 10 years." That sounds like great advice to us. Imagine all the time and energy we could all save by not worrying about collapsing bubbles that may or may not lead to a financial catastrophe. Life is too short to be getting stressed out by an anonymous Swiss analyst.

link

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 3:05 PM, MelissainVA wrote:

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I like that the Fool's have a sense of humor AND this might have taken things a bit too far.

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 3:19 PM, Pr0metheus wrote:

Are you going to share the funny emails that were sent to bubble@fool.com?

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 3:21 PM, Darwood11 wrote:

Darn. and some of us really believed this? In my email to the fool on 3/31 at 11:16PM "I am really impressed: “Our insider likes to make predictions decades in advance so he and his clients have plenty of time to prepare.” I’m really into “planning and preparation” but this is way beyond my abilities!"

But I was hoping to get a pair of those goggles, to offer to my day trader friends for a very high price (Isn't capitalism wonderful?)

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 3:22 PM, TMFBane wrote:

@Pr0metheus, Yes, we're preparing a piece that includes some of the most "interesting" responses. It'll be up shortly, and we'll provide a link.

Foolishly,

John Reeves

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 3:32 PM, nicegirl10 wrote:

For a few seconds I thought, oh no the Agora Group has taken over the Motley Fool. Then I realized it was April 1 and must be the MF annual HAFD joke. I was still bothered by the use of "hugest" though but decided not to harang the fool about it.

See below for my email to them:

to BUBBLE

Great work, shades of the Agora group! LOL

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 3:46 PM, TMM69 wrote:

I don't mind an April Fool's joke, but say it in the article. You could kind of get an idea from the Goggle's to see through the haze, and the metals you selected as well.

I didn't expect something like that from MF, but I am just glad I didn't do anything based on the information.

I got fooled!

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 3:46 PM, Truth2Power wrote:

I actually went and applied for the "Deep Thinker" position: I figured, even though I know it's a joke, who knows? Maybe they'll hire me anyway!

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 4:10 PM, FoolTheRest wrote:

I particularly liked the picture of the crack team of TMF analysts pulling an all-nighter with Red Bull, Nutter Butters, and Scotch.

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 4:14 PM, jdp245 wrote:

My favorite MF AFD jokes were the eMeringue (that was just tops!) and the ZippyTrade 2000 (that one actually got me for a second). This year kind of fell flat for me. I kept imagining a poor soul who didn't understand it was a joke and started unloading equities.

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 4:19 PM, yipeee wrote:

A joke? Or some kind of market study?

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 4:26 PM, yipeee wrote:

It was obviously an overhyped an unrealistic article, but so are a lot of the others. I do support the bubble theory myself though....

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 4:55 PM, mill3417 wrote:

Not Funny. Lol. JK

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 5:47 PM, Cubsfan8107 wrote:

This was my first April Fools Day Joke on the website.

Loved it!

Cubsfan8107

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 5:57 PM, markso555 wrote:

Congratulations on the best April Fool's joke

out there. In regards to "say it in the article",

come on, invest in spam?????

Understanding that it was April 1 (at breakfast, my wife asked me straight faced how I got the big dent in the back of my car first thing), I don't think I got suckered, and the more I read, the funnier I thought you were (as opposed to "Not Funny"). But if

MF really thought that we were about to pop a bubble, is this how you would let us know?????

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 5:58 PM, navygupta wrote:

Like a true fool, I purchased the depressed value stocks that I wanted to buy.

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 6:05 PM, itsratso wrote:

the "special alert" email was a nice touch yesterday, made me laugh

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 6:24 PM, skat51 wrote:

As a new Pro I am such a fool: I sold everything when I got your report!

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 6:47 PM, MichaelHamilton wrote:

my brother died of a heart attack. thanks fool!!

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 6:50 PM, jdeleonardo wrote:

It was pretty obvious that it was a joke, but I think this falls under the category of, "Too Soon."

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 6:51 PM, brainvsmuscle wrote:

I heard about two weeks ago about the big market bust from another source.. then I get the April fools joke,I took it only half serious.. I go by the old rule that you should never invest anymore money that you can afford to loose... you will always be ok! Good one Motley Fool!

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 7:18 PM, QuarkHadron wrote:

LoL. I scanned the posting skimming by the big red bold parts and when I spotted:

"<i>Timing</i> is everything "

and

"in order to devise the most effective <i>trading</i> strategy "

I knew it was an April (f)ools post.

(F)ools don't do those things. :)

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 7:19 PM, johndog19 wrote:

The joke was good. I had a laugh when I read the secret source's track record in the article's opening sentences... "he predicted both the Tech and housing bubbles even before others knew bubbles were possible". That's about when I realized it was fake.

Still, the government should probably close the markets and banks on April 1 every year, just to protect people from themselves. Wouldn't hurt to shutter the gun stores, either.

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 7:22 PM, ThePumpkin wrote:

In Very Poor Taste - The Motley Fool has an obligation to understand that all levels of intelligence read and act on their reports. I can see the lawyers lining up now, has the first lawsuit been filed yet?

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 7:29 PM, oldndeaf wrote:

Gads - I hope when I become an old and deaf investor I won't be the sourpuss that some of your commentators seem to be. Oh wait - I am old and deaf but I still loved the joke!

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 7:32 PM, patsweeney0 wrote:

Good Going.

And I think anyone with the opposite sentiments needs to loosen up ... a lot.

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 7:32 PM, REG1934 wrote:

My first quarter report from a very conservative money management firm: total US bank assets $11.25 T. of which the 12 US mega banks control $7.8 T. The biggest 4 of these have $212 T. in derivatives assets (obviously 'hughest' leverage). Given the major missteps exposed in the news in the recent past with 'hughest' losses, there is some justification for worry...BUT I 'hugely' enjoyed the MF April Fulz farey tale. More to the point personal opinion: only the best managed companies selected by MF offer any/the best refuge! Sincerely!

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 7:33 PM, DavesHere wrote:

Grain in 1873, credit in 1893, equities in 1929, tech in 2000 and real estate in 2008 and municipal bonds in 2013 (ever hear of Stockton, CA?), together, teach one lesson. It will crash when everyone, including experts, is certain that there is no place to go but up. It will climb when everyone, including experts, is certain that there is no place to go but down. That is why Galbraith used the word "conventional" as a substitute for "worse than worthless" when describing collective wisdom.

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 7:34 PM, johndog19 wrote:

"11:38 a.m. EDT -- Our updated late-stage bubble-reversal forecast has resulted in new price targets for 96% of the 4,000 publicly traded companies we track."

LOL... 4% initial accuracy! After such a big correction to the model, it *has* to be accurate now. +2400% to correctness!

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 7:41 PM, Annisafool wrote:

Yea It was the nutter butters and scotch that fooled me. I thought if they eat and drink so bad while at work I should wait until the signal to sell!!!! YOU'RE A BUNCH OF BAAAD FUNNY FOOLS! GREAT JOKE.

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 7:43 PM, jvgfool wrote:

Every year I read too far before it dawns on me that this is an April Fools prank. Then I break out into a laugh at the article and myself. Thanks for making me think.

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 7:54 PM, mrmolar119 wrote:

If it had happened, I would have bought a car load of M&M's.

Candy always makes a good substitute for gold.

Even tho I would have lost a little money on each transaction, I would have made in up with quantity.

Yossarian

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 7:55 PM, josedv wrote:

You've outdone yourselves. The graphs were "Pixar" quality (especially the last one). Congratulations!

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 8:02 PM, nikeherc1 wrote:

Piss Poor judgement. Is this what I pay for??

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 8:28 PM, mikecart1 wrote:

I fell for a joke a couple of years ago when Motley Fool said they were going public on the market. I took out thousands of dollars from one of my accounts and had it ready to buy a ton of shares. The next day - April 2nd - I found out I was fooled and I was sad for about a week.

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 8:38 PM, legion264 wrote:

I predict Jim Cramer will soon be saying "There's always a bubble somewhere" Cash is always king but if you never invest it you will be the king of a bubblegum monarchy.

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 8:46 PM, gmclain wrote:

Personally, I thought it was in very poor taste. If people had not read all the way through, they might have sold everything! For a group that I think so highly of, it made me question my loyalty!

Gail M.

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 8:49 PM, fullmoonchaser wrote:

It's too bad that you have to post an explanation of your annual April Fool post.

Now, a gripe -- I was an hour late to work waiting for your post. I finally gave up and guess what? -- when I got home your post was just after I had left for work...

What took you so long to get it posted???

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 9:04 PM, jabcabtoo wrote:

To think that I paid good money to have this sh^^ sent to me. I do not think that was funny or professional at all. Yes. I did think it was a 4/1 joke, but there was not a disclaimer disclosed. SHAME ON YOU, YOU FOOL.

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 9:34 PM, KyleSanDiego wrote:

Another great one in the most foolish tradition.

One thing though. Don't we all know that part of the reason the market keeps going up is that the Fed keeps devaluing the dollar by excessive printing?

Cheers.

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 9:35 PM, Truth2Power wrote:

Wow...lots of upset commenters who seem concerned that someone else might have sold everything.

I loved the joke and I noticed that in every major "update," they explicitly warned people *not to do anything* until they "pulled the trigger."

If anybody sold everything they owned based on that vague article, despite being told not to, well, they deserve to get socked with the commissions they racked up.

Can't wait to see what y'all cook up for next year!

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 9:51 PM, FarmBoy2CityBoy wrote:

I thought it was just crappy advice. The Fools, too, make their money the old-fashioned way, selling subscriptions to news letters. If they are so smart, why aren't they wealthy like Warren Buffet? I think this about all the pundits on the internet. I really shouldn't be in the market because I don't do my homework. I buy what I think are good companies and hold on. I think this is about all anyone can do. If you pay attention to all the crap on the internet, you'll probably lose.

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 9:54 PM, NOTvuffett wrote:

Damn, I sold everything and put it in Spam, lol.

Seriously though, if you were fooled by their gag you shouldn't be picking stocks for yourself.

Monty Python- Spam!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_eYSuPKP3Y

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 9:56 PM, SeekingMaturity wrote:

I have subscribed to Forbes since about 1969 and am aware of the April Fools issue.

I would not be proud of this April Fools endeavor; actually if down grades you to the reader and exhibits poor maturity.

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 10:23 PM, PaintItBlue wrote:

I was reading on and hoping to hear about the big container of liquid soap...

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 10:34 PM, KKoleto wrote:

Educate Entertain Amuse!

My favorite was the lemon pie delivery company. I can't rmember the details but you caught a lot of victims on that one!

Fool On I say!

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 10:40 PM, TMFBane wrote:

@NOTvuffett, I loved the Monty Python clip. Hilarious!

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2013, at 11:16 PM, tomd728 wrote:

Again your April Fool joke was devised by two imbeciles...........With the results on most of the recent selections on SA.....I.E. NUAN,MAKO,TIBX,

ad nauseum the joke has been on subscribers for some time now !

Stop the hideous attempts at humor...pay attention to value and growth....or the MF will become even more of a DYI for it's members and that will not be a happy event for the merry pranksters.

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 1:07 AM, rt7998 wrote:

I can't believe that anyone would be so foolish as to fall for what was a completely obvious joke and clearly not intended to be real investment advice. Such individuals should obviously not be investing their own money.

Also, in what is most assuredly a completely unrelated matter, it seems I have just recently acquired 10,000 cases of delicious investment-grade Hormel Spam, which I now need to unload quickly, so if there are any interested buyers out there, please drop me a line.

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 2:11 AM, suntzu777 wrote:

I liked the attention to detail, the whiskey bottles in the photos made me laugh.

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 8:52 AM, JuneSmith wrote:

Your April 1 joke was as good a jolt as a tall cup of morning java!

My reaction to the first two paragraphs of the April 1 joke was "whatever!" and I switched to reading other articles, so I can not claim to have, or have not, fallen for it. BUT, having now read the joke, the above article and people's commentary, I am thankful that you continue to recommend fundamental analysis, vigilance, keeping our fear and greed in check, ignoring the pundits, and promoting the strategy of "fooling around" for keeps. This strategy has served me well.

Thanks again.

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 9:03 AM, pinechief wrote:

Talk about "junk" emails? You should stick to sending something worthwhile and leave to jokes to somebody else.

I suppose I am not "foolish" enough to appreciate that kind drivel from somebody I am paying for advice.

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 9:28 AM, DrDeVito wrote:

Excellent April Fool's joke. Definately fitting for the times!

Anyone who says this was in poor taste is too stupid to invest in the market themselves anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about them.

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 9:32 AM, riojames wrote:

I didn't appreciate the April Fools joke. Although it was easy to detect as a joke or spoof or whatever you want to call it, that is NOT what I would expect from someone I pay for advice. Maybe the "Revealed" article is just a continuation of "the joke". Not real happy with my investment in Motley Fool advise.

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 10:03 AM, Zinj wrote:

Really? You got fooled?

People, the jokes ARE NOT SUBTLE. They are big, obvious, and MANY in number. This year was pure unadulterated nonsense.

I really have to wonder about those who not only get fooled (hey, it happens!) but also are angry about it. -- The Motley Fool has been doing this on April 1 every year for almost 20 years (at least in my experience). Get over yourself.

If this year's joke actually caused you a lot of trouble, I suspect day to day life is going to continue to be difficult for you.

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 10:57 AM, alflarson wrote:

I'd like to see reader's comments that came in response to the request for defensive investment ideas on April 1. In addition to buying Hormel.

Enjoyed the joke. April Fool's Motley Fool.

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 11:13 AM, brucemgreene wrote:

What a sick joke! I'm CANCELLING my subscription

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 11:39 AM, notsosmot wrote:

Whaddya mean, "joke"? Now what am I supposed to do now with all this Spam? I want the Fools to buy it from me, and I want you to buy it right now!

Besides, the Spam video link made me fall out of my chair. Expect to hear from my personal injury lawyer.

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 11:42 AM, stumptownbro wrote:

@TMFBane have you posted a link to the most "interesting" responses to the April Fools article yet? I put a little effort into mine and want to see what others had to say as well. I'm not signed up for email updates so a public link would be much appreciated.

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 11:55 AM, kewlness wrote:

The joke was awesome. I saw the email and decided to take a look. I read the first paragraph and noticed the big bold red letters and was thinking WTF?!

Then I looked at the calendar and all became crystal clear.

Good job Fools! :)

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 2:12 PM, ziq wrote:

Every year I chide myself for having to read several paragraphs in before I realize what day it is.Not only were you advising ultra-precise market timing but it was from an anonymous source as opposed to a MF writer whose track record and holdings are available for all to see.

Yes, I did see David Stockman's article, prior to the prank. I believe he had it wrong back when he was selling trickle-down and the "Laffer curve", and he has it wrong now.

Anyone who would dump all assets in one day as a result of one article--even though the article advised not to do this but to stay tuned--has learned nothing. If there's one thing to take away from MF in general, and their pranks in particular, it's this: however good or bad you think the advice is you're getting, from MF or anyone else, your investment decisions are your responsibility and no one else's.

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 2:44 PM, will1946 wrote:

I took your joke seriously and sold over half my portfolio. I really don´t think you should play such jokes.

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 3:21 PM, Cruiser55N wrote:

Investors aren't being misled by distorted rates of interest hence they are making great decisions based on sound information. This will all work out just fine.

I agree with the article to the extent that we don't know exactly when the distortions will be wrung out of the system but it will be a damaging process for those left holding the financial paper bag (read bonds in particular).

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 4:17 PM, TMFBane wrote:

Here's the piece with responses from our readers:

Readers Respond: The 10 Best Ways to Play the Hugest Bubble in History

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 5:09 PM, len826 wrote:

Not funny....not LOL....

Lost a lot in the DotCom bubble.... now approaching retirement.....not sure I want to continue with Motley Fool if you think this is humerous

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 10:20 PM, shlitz wrote:

April fool,April showers,April bubble bust.

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2013, at 10:21 PM, shlitz wrote:

April bubble bust for sure.

• Report this Comment On April 04, 2013, at 8:43 AM, MoeSizlak wrote:

This article was hilarious, and as a Fool for several years, I truly looked forward to it. Thank you, Motley Fool, for having such a great sense of humor! But more important that a sense of humor, thank you for publishing your track record. I would not be a member if I could not validate your track record.

• Report this Comment On April 05, 2013, at 1:22 AM, len826 wrote:

To rt7998, Zinj, DrDeVito- Really, you thought this was funny? I have no problem with life, but your twisted sense of humor must give YOU problems on a daily basis.

This is my first (and last) April Fool's issue, so yes, I was taken, I admit it. I also admit that I am not such a pompous ass that I think that I know everything about investing, which is why I subscribe(d) to MF.

If you all know so much, why do YOU subscribe, instead of writing your own rag?

• Report this Comment On April 05, 2013, at 8:20 AM, spoutingrock1 wrote:

Idiots

• Report this Comment On April 05, 2013, at 11:27 AM, ctalkington wrote:

This inane attempt at humor proves you are a bunch of real fools! Please cancel my subscription.

• Report this Comment On April 05, 2013, at 2:21 PM, sept2749 wrote:

Funny as a heart attack.

• Report this Comment On April 05, 2013, at 2:35 PM, antfchi wrote:

This is too serious to be playing games. I really trusted what I read in that ugly day when I lost a lot.

I think you should be a litter more careful. I didn't paid for jokes.

• Report this Comment On April 06, 2013, at 8:36 AM, SpaceWxDr wrote:

"In retrospect, the wisest response to the biggest financial crisis since the Great Depression might have been to do nothing." - Motley Fool

"Alas, many readers (say, those who work in forecasting or banking) do not understand that the 'actionable step' for them is to simply quit their profession and do something more ethical."

- Nicholas Taleb (The Black Swan)

• Report this Comment On April 06, 2013, at 1:03 PM, KenInNH wrote:

Guys, with time at a real premium these days I think the best course of action is to dispense with the jokes. The only good thing I can see coming out of it was to remind people to question everything they read.

That is why I recommend dispensing with jokes on MF. When I get something from MF I want it to be actionable and save me the time to have to sort thru qualifying the information as hype or not. I pay MF for that luxury. I'll do my own thinking on the advice but don't want to spend that extra time thinking about the hype/joke/fuzz factor in materials coming from you.

• Report this Comment On April 06, 2013, at 11:29 PM, jlclayton wrote:

Excellent April Fools joke and a good lesson to boot. One thing that has been stressed at MF over the last few months is not to listen to all the pundits and all the predictions made about where the market is heading. Perfect AF joke to bring that lesson home!

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 7:41 PM, Sinawik0522 wrote:

It may be time for me to look for advice and guidance elsewhere.You sure fooled me.Poor use of space and time.

There is sooo much hype,talk, and info in the market place for me this site is a good STARTING PLACE TO GET RID OF THE JUNK.

Good-by Motley Fool.....

see you later ......maybe

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 6:55 PM, rovobo wrote:

I have been a member for a few years and have made a nice return on your advice,but I do feel you should stick to your task of financial advice and leave the comedy to comedians,I don't ask David Letterman or Jimmy Fallon what stocks to buy.

rovobo