Is the Ford Ranger Coming Back to the U.S.?

There's a trend that is happening across the U.S. auto market – vehicle downsizing. Recently, consumers have more often been trading in their gas-guzzling Hummers for smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles. If that's the case, wouldn't it hold true for the highly profitable truck segment as well? It would sure seem that way, but I have some numbers that show otherwise. There was some backlash from dealers when Ford (NYSE: F  ) decided to kill the smaller-sized Ranger pickup in the U.S., while at the same time boasting about its high expectations for the truck globally. Let's see what Ford's reasoning is and ask if the decision will hurt Ford's sales -- and investors' profits.

Why kill it?
Killing the Ranger could come back to haunt Ford if the midsize pickup segment rebounds as people shift away from larger vehicles. However, that hasn't been the case yet, and may never be. When the Ranger was discontinued Ford still had a 25% market share in the segment. While Ford said those consumers would simply opt to buy an F-150 instead, some dealers argued that Ford "just gave the sales away" to competitors. Toyota's (NYSE: TM  ) market share seems to validate that claim to some degree. The Tacoma market share went from 38% in 2011 to 54% in 2012 as Ford's Ranger made its exit.

In Ford's defense
At the moment, full-size pickup sales are surging in the United States. In contrast, compact pickup sales in 1994 were at 1.2 million units and in 2012 it was a meager 264,197 units. That puts in perspective what Ford means when it said it was exiting a "shrinking" market. When Ford made this decision to stop producing the Ranger, it assumed that loyal buyers would simply step up to the new fuel efficient V-6 F-150s. After seeing the Tacoma's market share surge, you have to wonder if Ford is questioning its ability to ever step consumers up to the F-150.

The fact of the matter is, not everyone needs a Ford-tough towing machine – like the F-150 or other models. Some prefer a useful vehicle that is needed on rare occasions, yet can still offer great mileage for the average daily driving. That said, I think Ford is correct in their decision to kill the Ranger. If you look at the quantity of Ranger sales alone, a lot of sales were from fleet purchases buying purely off the low price. The Ranger had those sales then, because current models such as the Fusion and Focus didn't have the fuel efficiency and quality they possess today.

Long-term vision
Right or wrong, Ford seems to be sticking to its guns so don't expect the global version of the Ranger – that's selling well – to make an appearance back in the U.S. market. Ford is going to focus on the F-Series to juice profit margins. Rather than having the Ranger as an entry-level truck, it's going to do all it can to position the F-150 with EcoBoost options to fill that spot.

The EcoBoost engine now gives Ford the flexibility to position the F-Series for different types of consumers, and it knew those options were on the way when they canceled the Ranger. If the Atlas concept comes through as expected – hitting CAFE standards out to 2025 – it's possible it would have rendered the Ranger obsolete. The other side of the coin is that the Ranger filled a niche in the market, and if vehicle downsizing moves into the truck segment it could be a decision Ford regrets.

When it comes to investing in Ford, a decision like this won't have much impact at all. Ford's vehicles are selling incredibly well, and not having the Ranger won't stop the sales momentum Ford is enjoying. Ford hasn't made too many mistakes since Alan Mulally became CEO, so I'll stand by the decision to kill the Ranger. What do you think? Let me know in the comments below..

Worried about Ford?
If you're concerned that Ford's turnaround has run its course, relax -- there's good reason to think that the Blue Oval still has big growth opportunities ahead. We've outlined those opportunities in detail, in the Fool's premium Ford research service. If you're looking for some freshly updated guidance to Ford's prospects in coming years, you've come to the right place -- click here to get started now.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 9:10 AM, jkarpins wrote:

I purchased an F150 in 2011, and hope that the Ranger will return in the next few years. I will no longer have a need for anything as large as the F150, and would like to hold out for another smaller Ford. If necessary, I will go to another manufacturer for a smaller pickup, as I am sure many others will, also.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 9:13 AM, shoes15a wrote:

While I agree that the end of the Ranger won't hurt Ford's business model, I miss the midsize option for a pickup. A full size Ford F-150 won't fit in my garage where as a Tacoma 4 door model will. Thus Tacoma it is.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 9:29 AM, BigFED wrote:

For me it is about the SIZE, not the milage. At my age I am more comfortable using a smaller pickup. I had a 1998 Ranger and enjoyed the heck out of it. Then I bought a 2000 F-150 regular cab and enjoyed it. Finally in 2010, I got THE truck, an F-150 Super Cab which was just about ALL that they were making then. A couple of years and it got just too big for me to feel comfortable driving, maneuvering around a parking lot and getting in an out of.

By the time I decided smaller was better, the Ranger was no more. Alternatives from Nissan, Toyota, Chevy/GMC just didn't appeal to me. Dodges were not even in the running (no pun intended) with the quality issues.

I would venture that a Ranger size with an "Eco Boost" 4 (I prefer a V6 or small V8) would take over the market. I want the utility of the pickup without having to hoover size!

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 9:29 AM, 67Goat wrote:

I purchased a F150 in 2011 and love the ride comfort.It feels like I''m in a luxury car compared to the stiff suspension of the Ranger. I had purchsed a 2005 extended cab 2 door Ranger in 2005. The Ranger had the 3.0 motor and did terrible when it comes to fuel economy. They are smaller but the plates cost the same. The salesman in 2011 told us the Ranger line would be disappearing soon because it was holding Ford back in regards to all of their products being able to hit the mark regarding a combined mpg requirement the gov''t. set.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 9:45 AM, Folornhope wrote:

I end up towing a fair amount...the Ford Ranger was enough for my needs in that department. When they quit producing them I went with a Dodge Dakota. Not sure I'd move to a F150 on my next truck, or stick with Dodge since they are no longer producing the Dakotas.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 9:48 AM, Freddbe wrote:

Ford does best at taking what works best and replacing it with wishful thinking. The Ranger made a name for it's self as being a great little truck, now it may take years to get that same truck to be as good as it was. Sometimes they need to just let things alone.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 9:48 AM, jbrown4520 wrote:

I agree with BigFED... it isn't about fuel economy and price, and an optionless, gutless V6 full-size land barge just doesn't fill the same niche. I had a 2000 Dodge Dakota, loved it, even though it had the big V8 and was a gas-guzzler. Traded it in 2007 for a full-size, which was still a nice truck, but was just too large for everyday use. If I wanted to go back to a mid-size, my options are Toyota, Nissan, and Chevy, which are all outdated and overdue for major redesigns themselves.

In my opnion, the biggest thing hurting mid-size sales isn't the full-size trucks, it is lack of new product. Keep in mind,in addition to the above, the Ford Ranger that was cancelled in 2011 hadn't been significantly updated since 1993 or so. So you tell me why a 20-year-old truck with no true 4-door option was losing market share in a segment full of 10-year-old competitors...

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:01 AM, ABN2nds wrote:

The Ford ranger sold in Australia looks great! I woiuld buy one for sure.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:04 AM, isee3dtoo wrote:

If Ford would sell the Australian Ford Falcon, an "El-Camino" type vehicle with a luxury front end and a bed, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I visited Australia and when I saw a Falcon I walked into a Ford Dealership for the first time in my life.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:07 AM, jtc2000 wrote:

My first truck was Ranger, it was a great truck... I was in Thailand about 2 months ago and they have New Rangers running around there. They are kind of styled like a smaller F-150 Raptor, had a little Baja look to them with a sharp nose ... but very nice kinda badass look if you put on some large tires.

We need them back in the US.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:11 AM, TMFTwoCoins wrote:

Very interesting! I didn't quite expect so many pro-ranger comments. It definitely makes me wonder if Ford will reconsider at some point.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:13 AM, wrevansii wrote:

As a 20 year automotive Ford Service Director, I can tell you that the Ranger was bullet proof and the owners loved them. The jump to a F150 was to great a leap for a person that had no need for the additional capacity. The alternative was another manufacturer.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:14 AM, jtsocci wrote:

There is more to killing the Ford Ranger than previously stated. The fact is that the Ranger was a poor example of a midsize pick up, just as the Chevy Colorado continues to be. Both are mechanically troubled and offer little in increased MPG one would expect from a smaller truck. Both were greatly in need of a re-design. Chevy has opted to re-design their small truck. Ford has opted to kill theirs. A re-design is an expensive endeavor and these two automakers have chosen opposite paths. One, willing to sacrifice market share while saving some money, the other willing to invest in the hope that they will re-coupe and eventually gain market share. Time will tell which made the better decision, but my belief is that Chevrolet is on the right tract.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:15 AM, illybilly wrote:

Ford getting rid of the Ranger is as dunb as Honda getting rid of the Element

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:17 AM, illybilly wrote:

that said the fuel economy of the V6 ranger sucked. To me the only way to go was the 4cyl, like the Element has

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:19 AM, jimisready wrote:

I wanted a 6 foot bed on a small pickup as it fits in the small garage. I bought the extra cab 4x4 in 2011 for that reason. I looked at Chevy Nissan and both had 5 foot beds The day I was out looking Toyota was out of stock. Toyota salesman wanted $500 deposit to bring one in to see so thats when I moved on to ford. I am disapointed in the mpg I think the f150 is the same mpg just to big for my garage. One other disapointment is ventalation heat can only work with outside air and all the pollution and smells that go with. Jim

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:19 AM, bobthegoodone wrote:

I have a 2010 Ford Ranger with 21,000 miles on it a 4.9 engine I have been hauling top soil for my garden and haul 1500# at a time I am still getting 25 + miles to the gallon with this load ! 4 loads so far . My GM pickup can and does haul much more but the mileage sucks big time !

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:23 AM, PhoenixJack wrote:

Ford did a dumb, dumb, dumb thing when they stop making the Rangers.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:28 AM, belseware wrote:

Two things...

First, Ford has the option of bringing the global Ranger to NA--just homologate it, and shazaam. So if market conditions change, the flexibility is there.

Second, The [Explorer] Sport Trac was a super niche vehicle between the F-150 and the Ranger. Aside from its premium pricing, I expect it would do very well.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:38 AM, ricker78 wrote:

I had two Rangers and ran the wheels off of them. They never let me down. In my stupidity I decieded to move up to an F150. It wasn't half the truck the Ranger was and the gas mileage was terrible. I wish they never left. If they can make them for other countries why can't they make some for us?

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:39 AM, newguy217 wrote:

I love my Ranger. It serves my needs and fits in the garage with my other car. Something I don't think the f-150 could do. I have the 4 cylinder and though it doesn't win at the races it does get 20 plus to the gallon. To be fair they are correct in saying sales were down. But look at a ranger from 1994 till the last one made they were the same truck from the front doors to the tail gate. They never spent any money updating it, didn't give it the newer more advanced engines and they wonder why sales dropped off. You have to keep up with the market if you want to stay competitive.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:45 AM, z56 wrote:

In my family, we have several trucks, I have a older F150 Lariat, ext. cab 4x4 , 5.4 Triton, that is the workhorse. (NICE TRUCK). A Ranger FX-4, for size reasons. And a few others, My daughter's family is growing, and they have a family size car, and a standard cab, V-6, F150. They wanted to trade in the truck for a 4 door smaller sized truck. For mpg's and still fit their growing family. He really likes my Ranger, but needed a full 4 door truck. Since Ford quit making Ranger instead of making a 4 door version, he traded for a Chevy Colorado 4 door. It seems to me that Ford missed the market there, Dumb move on Ford's part.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:48 AM, Geoffs777 wrote:

The Ford F-150 is just too big to fit in my 1-car garage. I don't need a truck that's that big. I'd like to see a Ford Ranger crew cab with an Eco boost engine. I'd be one of the first people interested in buying it.

Ford basically let the Ranger die off years before they stopped making it. The 2011 Ranger looks almost the same as the 2001 Ranger and is mechanically nearly identical.

The Toyota Tacoma is very overpriced and gets poor gas mileage.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:55 AM, antiverse wrote:

Who cares? Used them many miles for my employer. Very uncomfortable and prematurely end up as junk.

This media location is just a Ford advertising

outlet.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:57 AM, Backroadswonder wrote:

I have a 1989 Ranger with a 2.9 liter engine 6 cylinder. This little gem has started everyday except once in all the years I have owned it. It has never had any major issues. No one believes I still have my Ranger after all these years. The only issue now is rust from living in the harse Michigan winters. I was shocked to hear Ford stopped making this truck. I love my Ranger and would buy another one in a minute!

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:58 AM, BRUNOWOLF wrote:

I wrote Ford when I first read that they were discontinuing the manfacturing of the Ranger in the USA. I own a ranger and in my small town you can't go 10 feet without passing a Ranger. I wouldn't give mine up (1999) for nuttin'. An immensely popular pickup, I felt it was really stupid and a shortsighted business decision. Hope Ford has finally gotten its' head out of its' gluteus maximus.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 11:02 AM, fenderless33 wrote:

I have owned ford rangers since back in 84 when I bought my first new one. I have had good luck with every one of them, a total of 6 trucks. Every truck I owned got good gas mpg, even the v6. When my current truck hits the 150k I will be forced to go to another manufacture because I will not be pushed into buying a full size truck for which I have no need for. Ford has lost a lot of future customers by not restyling the ranger and continuing to sell it.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 11:09 AM, pjlmel wrote:

Between my son, who uses his truck for work and myself we have owned five Rangers over the years. His last one was still going well when he had a chance to pick up a "new" used 2010; the old one, a 1996, had 320,000 miles on it!

My present 2007 Ranger has only 30,000 miles on it and looks like new as it is stored winters.

Ford has always had the ugly habit of discontinuing a model after perfection has been achieved. They did that well with the Ranger. Are they really customer oriented?

As for myself I cannot back a full sized pick-up into my angled garage and a small truck or suv is the way to go.

Bring on a new Tacoma!

Also, I wish that when you purchase a new vehicle that you are given a specific name to call for completments or complaints.

PJL

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 11:11 AM, buckshot9335 wrote:

Every since 1967 I have purchased a full size Ford Pick Up about every four years. When I retired I wanted to down size to a smaller truck. Ford only had the F-150 and the Ranger was not available. I now drive a Toyota Tacoma. Not a smart move by Ford.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 11:14 AM, chevy1racing wrote:

Ford makes you wonder about what is going thru their heads, Several companys including Auto Zone- O'Reilley auto parts and even the company I work for uses Rangers for deliveries we own 17 Rangers 2004's to 2012's now with Ford not producing them we have to make a decision the F-150's are to BIG, so now it has to be Toyota or Nissan. & its to bad because we would rather support American automakers and keep the $$$$ here, not overseas.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 11:15 AM, fordpintodriver wrote:

I have been driving a ford rangers since the 80s, it is a very tuff little truck, I do not care for a full size truck and the rangers I had over the years always did the same work and then some ,very comfortable on long trips and far gas mileage, wish they would have made a diesel ranger the last year because I would have bought it , ford lost out when they ended the ranger , if they read this comment all I can say to them I will not buy a full size truck,

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 11:17 AM, uncoveror wrote:

I own a 96 ranger, and always intended to replace it with another. I don't need an F-150 penis compensator, and it wouldn't fit in my garage anyway. When GM killed the Chevy S-10, I thought Ford would never be stupid enough to monkey see monkey do that move, but I underestimated the idiocy of old men in boardrooms. No individual is as stupid as a committee. If they bring back the ranger, I may forgive them, but it is less likely if my bedliner and clocking cover do not fit the bed any more. It is crazy how shareholders let these executives rake in millions when they break everything they touch. They wouldn't be earning minimum wage.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 11:21 AM, reprokerpro wrote:

As an owner of two previous versions of the Ford Ranger, I was shocked at Fords decision. I would have to think that had Ford Invested half as much into the Ranger as they had the F-150 they would have captured a larger segment of the market. The Ranger had a few items that sat well with me, the manuverability, 4 WD option that allowed me my hunting and fishing, and the height of the truck bed. As a 5'7" male I have no use for full sized trucks, the truck bed is pretty much unusable for me in an F-150, I can't reach anything except items long enough to reach the back of the bed. The failings I encountered are obviously the reasons Ford decided to discontinue the model. Terrible gas mileage considering its size and the propensity of front wheel bearings to fail, I had to replace the front bearings on three occasions on my last Ranger before 125k miles. I had been told that they had been engineered for 15' tires and when they were upsized to 16' standard size, bearing failure took a jump. I think you screwed up Ford, but time will tell. But for the record, I won't be buying a F-150, I will never buy a foreign vehicle, but I may have to go to Chevy, something I swore I wouldn't do

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 11:25 AM, momaredcat wrote:

Too bad if they don't bring it back. My Ranger is a 1999. I decided to get a new one starting in 2013 and started looking in 2012. It had everything desired including a 4-door model with the unfortunate caveat that it would not be sold in North or South America. I regularly haul gravel, landscaping rock, tow my motorcycles on a flatbed, etc. Mileage on the 1999 is still at 25+ while a F150 stinks at maybe, if the creek doesn't rise, a measly 15-17. Still have the Ranger and will keep it til the wheels fall off but my go-to-town vehicle is now a Nissan. Ford blew this one.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 11:47 AM, parkerd11 wrote:

Discontinuing the Ranger was a mistake, just as discontinuing the s10 for Chevy. The assembly line was set up, the distributors were known, the service manuals were written, the customers were their. It was not like inventing a new vehicle. While the body style was a bit dated, customers kept buying them, just like customers kept buying the S10 with only cosmetic changes in 12 or more years. Even with a reduced sales number, the cost of production was low and was a known quantity. When I looked for my last Ranger, the year they were discontinued, I found that Ford, like Chevy, was loading them up with all the bells and whistles and pricing them out of the market. I wanted a rather basic truck to commute to work and but some lumber, furniture, yard clippings in it every now and then. Even with equal fuel economy, the F150 is too big (and getting bigger). What a shame.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 11:52 AM, parkerd11 wrote:

I went back and saw a few comments about keeping our dollars here in the good old USA. Look at where Ford/Chevy/Dodge are assembling a lot of there vehicles, and also where are they getting the parts.

Mexico, Yugoslavia, Canada, etc.

Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyundai, Nissan, etc are doing most of their assembly and making many of their parts here in the US of A. Want to keep our dollars here? Buy foreign, you will keep more people at work.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 12:19 PM, seabeesol wrote:

300,000+ miles, needs work, but, will not go to F-150, too D***n big. plenty of power, milage around 15 mpg city. will buy when comes back

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 12:22 PM, Sully9173 wrote:

Since Ford started to build pickup trucks as the Model "A" I believe they have continued to make them larger and larger, until you reach the large 1 ton equivalent vehicle. Then they start over again time and time again building the smaller models.

I suspect eventually they will do so again. The small model pickup truck has a place in the American market and in Americans life style. The Monster Trucks as even the 150 has grown to, has a limited following. Space in cities even villages is limited as is garage space in these places. Sooner or later Ford will come back to earth and build a small version of the Ford Pickup whether they name it Ranger or not is another matter.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 12:27 PM, peteysa wrote:

How many people would line up to buy a midsize trunk with a 4 cyl diesel that had huge torque and good mileage?

Wish someone would do it.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 12:41 PM, anthonylizardi wrote:

I totally agree with the some of the comments here. Except for the Tacoma, there is not a good mid-size pickup in the market. Toyota is really enjoying this. For me, I love the Tacoma utility and reliability on the other side the looks are just to truck like for the people looking for a dual purpose vehicle. Also, the economy is not the best on the Tacoma. I think Toyota would do better importing the Hilux, specially the diesel. I am not a fan of making a smaller vehicle look like its bigger brother. The Australian Ranger looks great. I hope is not a unibody truck. This truck can be big hit if the economy is good, reliable, comfort ride and interiors, and powerful enough to tow and carry enough for the weekend warrior.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 12:42 PM, luckyagain wrote:

I owned a Ranger for 10 years and it was probably the most dependable vehicle that I have ever owned. I used it mostly to commute to work and it would get almost 25 mpg with the 2.3 motor. It sat outside and would start when it was -20F. It was only 2 wheel drive but would still go through 6 inches of snow without too much trouble. It rusted out after 14 years but I sold it to a guy who was a welder and he fixed it up and drives it still.

The vast majority of trucks drives uses their vehicle for commuting and seldom haul anything very heavy. So having a smaller pickups just makes it more convenient than a bigger one.

What the truck needed was a more efficient motor. Of course Ford did not design the Ranger, it was designed by Mazda. I looked on the Mazda website and they no longer make a pickup. My guess that this was the major reason that it was discontinued.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 12:44 PM, herman48 wrote:

I had a Ranger and would have liked to replace it with a new one after I sold it (it was old and worn out, after a long and heroic career), but Ford only quit selling Rangers in the U.S. (they still produce them for the foreign market). So I bought a 2013 F-150. For some of my needs a 4WD pickup is necessary. But I will use it sparingly, and use my 2008 Ford Escape most of the time to save gas. I think that if Ford had really wanted to kill the Ranger, it would have quit producing it altogether. But Ford is still tooled up for the Ranger and can reintroduce it on the U.S. market again at the drop of a hat if needed. In the meanwhile, it's selling the bigger 150's and reaping more profits on their also bigger price tag. Definitely, not a foolish move on Ford's part.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 12:51 PM, sashafrash wrote:

Just buy an F150?

The V6 Eco-boost F150 costs neatly ten thousand dollars more than a fully loaded 4x4 Ranger did. Not to mention the maintenance, and additional insurance costs of a full size truck.

Hello! Everything on a full size truck costs more to fix. Brakes, tires, etc...

The only way Ford will ever be redeemed is if they import the Australian Ranger and offer it with a diesel engine.

And bring back the manual transmission!

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 1:02 PM, cityperson wrote:

The Ford Ranger is cheaper to run and maintain then the Toyota. I would kike tomsee a little design change , but the old design is good for what I need the truck for. A four door model would be nice, that I see in Mexico.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 1:02 PM, NthrnNYker wrote:

I had a 1999 Ranger regular cab fleetside 4-banger for years and years. Bought it new, and retired it just a couple years ago with 230,000 miles on it Got around 24-28 MPG.

I now have a 2007 f150 crew cab with a 4.6L v8....getting around 16-20 MPG depending on the load.

Yup, the f150 is far more capable in the towing department....but I use my trucks to haul wood pellets and wood......and that little Ranger was almost able to carry as much payload as my F150 is now.

For the difference in purchase cost, and fuel economy....GIVE US BACK THE RANGER !

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 1:04 PM, NthrnNYker wrote:

If not, I think my next truck will be a Dodge Dakota.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 1:08 PM, dlancer wrote:

After reading the article I went to the website of Ford Austrailia to see the version sold there. You can not tell me the Ford would not sell a boat load of these here in the US. Sales of the last Ranger were sinking here only because they had not updated the thing in nearly twenty years. Ford decided to drop the Ranger simply because they want buyers to buy the much more expensive F150. It all comes down to greed. Why sell someone a $25K to $30K truck when you can get them to buy a $30K to $50K+ truck. As someone who can't afford that I will opt for a different make. Sorry about your luck Ford.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 1:30 PM, peteysa wrote:

Australian Ranger Diesel is 25 city and 30 highway mpg

200hp

346 ft lbs torque

I would buy it instantly if something like this appeared at Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota, Kia, Yugo whatever.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 1:38 PM, Switchdriver wrote:

As a person who lives in a moderately sized city and has owned two Ford Rangers and one F150, I feel ford made a big mistake in cancelling the Ranger. For use in the city the Ranger is far superior to the F150. The four cylinder in the Ranger achieves better fuel economy than the V6 in the F150. Manuverability in tight parking spots is much better in a Ranger than it is in an F150. Addititionally, in my experience, the Rangers were far more reliable than the F150. This year I was in the market for a new vehicle. Ford not having a Ranger forced me to turn to one of their competitors for a compact truck. Had Ford still made the Ranger I would have purchased another Ranger.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 1:43 PM, johnson56301 wrote:

how about a hybrid truck!! that gets 50mpg! and has 4x4 with a bed and can tow a 3000 lb trailer!

throw an ecoboost in to a ranger and see it go, add hybrid and get the MPG.

keep the truck under $30k base and 35K loaded and you got a winner.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 1:45 PM, peteysa wrote:

hybrid didnt work in a truck. I think the hybrid tahoe got 1mpg better than the petrol.

did see the 2.2 diesel in the australian ranger a little better gas mileage.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 1:46 PM, TMFTwoCoins wrote:

There's some really good points in these comments, exactly what I was looking for. I think I'll write a strong pro-ranger argument and maybe Ford will start listening!

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 2:20 PM, Jerry75044 wrote:

Part of the problem with the decline in sales of compact pickups is that they stopped being compact and have actually become as large as1987 models of the full size trucks. Take for example, a 1987 Chevy regular cab with 6' bed, it measured 191.3" long while a 2013 Toyota Tacoma regular cab measures 190.4 inches. This is a difference of less than a single inch!!! In 1987 the Tacoma measured 184" so it grew over a half foot! Meanwhile the 2013 Chevy truck grew 13.7 inches to 205" overall.

I'd love to find a small pickup sized like the old Toyota Tacoma but no one makes such a thing. A rack for the truck's bed would make it very useful for transporting long items like ladders. I wish Huyndai would make such a truck as the current Tacoma is TOO EXPENSIVE!!!

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 2:29 PM, tncarnut1 wrote:

I just bought a brand new Nissan Frontier. It is American-made by American labor in Tennessee, so I didn't feel guilty about doing so. But I really would have preferred to buy the new Ranger. The F-150 is a great truck, but it is simply too big for my tastes and needs. Also, Ford decided to eliminate the manual transmission from its truck offerings. I do not drive automatics because I actually enjoy driving as opposed to simply steering.

Since my dad is retired from Ford, I could even have bought an F-150 at employee prices. Unfortunately, Ford simply threw away the sale it would have had from me. I know I am not the typical buyer, but I can't help but think they have handed Nissan and Toyota many other sales they could have kept by simply letting us have the same new Ranger that the rest of the world gets to buy. I'm truthfully insulted that we don't have the option of a smaller truck from my favorite US manufacturer.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 2:53 PM, Jerrbob wrote:

I am a life long Ford enthusiast and retired Ford Technician. I have never bought a new vehicle that was not a Ford until now. I want a new Ranger but I can't buy one so I'm going to have to resort to buying from a different manufacturer. Ford is wrong, I don't want or need a giant F-150, just a smaller Ranger style truck. Bye, bye Ford, I guess it may be time to do the unthinkable, that's to buy a Toyota!

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 3:03 PM, FORD4vr6202 wrote:

Put a full back seat in this great truck and see what happens....they'll sell like mad!

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 3:12 PM, Kay10 wrote:

Ford needs an engine in their small trucks that gets better mileage than their F150 to be successful in the market place. This engine also has to be powerful enough to handle 4 wheel drive. Eco boost 4 cylinder or 3 cylinder turbo diesel. If they can't they won't.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 3:36 PM, JoeMiddleclass wrote:

Is this a paid for "news" story by Motley Fool to get clients? I have noticed that since the "NEW" yahoo home page has started there are dozens of these "news" stories from Motley Fool which end up promoting their financial advice. SHAME ON YOU YAHOO!!!!

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 3:37 PM, JoeMiddleclass wrote:

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 3:49 PM, ranger9804 wrote:

my first truck was a 98 ranger, loved it. looked for one for a month here. hard to find because people hang onto them. i have an 04 edge now and dont want or need a bigger truck. was a mistake for ford to get rid of the ranger.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 3:56 PM, RVFulltimer wrote:

As a full timer in a RV, I had been planning on purchasing a Ranger in 4wd as a tow vehicle. I was very disappointed at their decision to do away with the smaller, lighter, towable pick. I don't want to tow a full sized pickup behind my RV, so I will have to look elsewhere like so many others. Even GM has followed suite in dropping their Colorado.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 4:27 PM, spclfxtx wrote:

I'm on my second Ranger with about 127,000 miles. I have no interest in a big pickup and this Ranger does everything i need it to do. I live in the city but have a place in the country so packing a big truck around here is difficult. Wish my Ranger had a small diesel but it's OK as-is. Really stupid of Ford to discontinue the truck. I see them everywhere and what did it cost Ford to make them? All of the tooling and R/D had to have been amortized years ago. I don't know what i'll do when this one wears out (which i doubt will be soon) but it would still be nice to have the option of a new one at some point.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 5:09 PM, frankbeisel wrote:

my 2002 Ranger gets good mileage at 20 to 21 on the highway. The 4.0 liter OHC v-6 is powerful but the truck needs to be updated to be competitive in this market segment. Ford would need a new drivetrain and better suspension. I will always choose the smaller truck when I dont have a large load to carry. Looking for a new truck in 2014 but the Toyota is a dog my ranger is faster than a new Tacoma, the Nissan maybe a better choice except that I only buy American vehicles to keep the engineers and developers working so our country can own the next new technology that is developed, assembling an other country's product only creates assembly line jobs when need to create jobs for engineers too! I would buy another Ranger if it were updated, a four cylinder turbo diesel would be excellent.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 5:16 PM, moradosdaniel wrote:

Yes its good to us that Ford Ranger will return to the market!

I realy like that sized pick-up, and it works great.

Thanks for the FORD MANUFACTURER.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 5:17 PM, supersolid8 wrote:

You know you are passionate about something if you sign up to a website just to make a comment.

With exception of my first vehicle which was a hand-me-down, every one I've owned has been a small pickup. I DON'T NEED anything larger. Don't want it. Don't want to drive it, park it, and I certainly don't want to pay that much for it.

I've owned 2 Rangers and driven them darn near off their wheels. The one I'm looking to replace, which has over 200,000 miles on it and still runs great (because of great care and maintenance), I bought with the intention of replacing it with a new Ranger when the time came. Thanks to Ford's massive misstep, I will be looking elsewhere.

I commute to work and use my bed for big items when needed. I love the versatility of having a truck when I need it and one that's small enough to take the same space as a car with fuel efficiency that doesn't match new cars but is still miles better than a monster truck.

Ford has also alienated another vehicle shopper I've not seen on this list of comments in addition to day to day user, fleet user, RV-towing, weekend warrior etc., etc. I am a FEMALE who drives a truck. Always have. I would says "Always will" but with the small pickup market shriveling, that may have to change.

The Toyota Tacoma comes close to what I NEED but the price has kept me driving my 11-year-old extended cab ranger. Even used they are out of my range. I might to buy a *gasp* crossover SUV. But the first time I have to carry anything bigger than the cargo area allows, I'll be shaking my fist at Ford Motors for being so short-sighted and greedy.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 5:32 PM, TMFTwoCoins wrote:

Glad you signed up to comment, interesting insight!

Even more so after going through the comments I think Ford is definitely losing some incremental sales to the Tacoma and others. If vehicle downsizing continues, I think it definitely makes sense to bring back the Ranger. Especially since Ford is planning on trimming its number of platforms, if the Ranger is selling everywhere but here, why not sell it here? It just doesn't add up to me.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 5:43 PM, BATMAN7732 wrote:

My first new vehicle was a 93 Ranger and it was a good truck . I always wished they had made a King Cab not just the extra cab version . I bought a Sport Trac in 05 and its exactly what I wanted. A Ranger size with 4 doors and a small bed. Now they quit making the Sport Trac too!!! I don't want an F-150 ,had 1 as a work truck and its cool but too big. Not sure what I'll buy next .........

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 6:43 PM, Dweezil56 wrote:

My father had one for 18 years and when he died my Mother sold it to their pastor for 200. Dad said it was the best vehicle he'd ever owned. Never gave a moment's trouble.

BTW: the Ranger was NOT designed by Mazda as was claimed by an earlier poster. The Courier was build by Mazda in the 70s for Ford so that they could compete in the mini pickup segment with Toyota, Nissan [then Datsun] and Chevy's Luv pickup, made for them by Isuzu IIRC.

What a shame. The last vehicle I got excited about was a 2006 Ranger 5 speed manual,2WD, rubber floor covering, crank windows and no frigging console !!! What a treat. Had a bed cover and fancy wheels but that was it. Total utility and simplicity in that truck. Purpose built to be a simple and economical tool, not a rolling condo or a vibrator on wheels !

Ford: you missed the boat. Could foretell the start of a lot of misfires after such a good run.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 7:11 PM, Raydar1971 wrote:

I've got 250k on my 2000 4.0 Ranger. I bought it because I wanted something smaller but would function as a truck when I needed to haul something (firewood, yard of topsoil, etc.).

While it's been bulletproof, eventually I'll need to replace it and I will want to replace it with a similiarly sized vehicle. About all that is out there is the Frontier or the Tacoma.

What I'd really love to buy is a decent looking (no fugly F-150 angular stuff) extended cab Ranger with a flare-side bed, manual tranny, and the above-mentioned diesel from the land down under. Keep it at ~$20k for a stripped model with the diesel and I'll be the first in line at the dealer.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 7:43 PM, DavidX308 wrote:

A friend had a 1994, 2.3 with a stick. After he put 280K on it, he gave it to a friend who is still driving it. It is gutless and cramped as a standard cab, long bed, 2wd. I do think they are quite reliable, because they are so simple at this level.

However, one thing that no one here has mentioned is that they may not meet, or can be modified to meet, current Federal crash and roll over standards. You can see the latter in all the thick pillared cars on the road today, so the updated Ranger would have to carry much more weight and lose that fuel economy everyone bandies about.

The old 2.3 is even more out of date than the truck, dating from the Fox platform Mustang, Fairmont, and Capri days, a derivative of the old German Ford Cologne motors of the early 1970s.

It was very much time to put it to pasture for Ford to be able to use the profitability of the F series to spend the R&D dollars on a new small truck if sales and the business case could be made for it.

There are a lot of decent used ones out there, so it isn't really a huge loss.

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 9:37 PM, wolflady53 wrote:

I think ford was foolish to discontinue the ranger some people do not like the big boat of a truck like the f150 the chevy calorado is another that some people do not want and some others do not want toyota's tacoma etheir and the ranger fit right in nicely so now i would not own a ford or any other foregin vechile i always owned the ford ranger the truck it so economical some people say that it was time to put the ranger out to pasture should go there themself's and there is no other truck out that could fit in like the ranger was

• Report this Comment On April 07, 2013, at 10:04 PM, Dadw5boys wrote:

seems like they are making cars that use more fuel and to bring back the ones that use less fuel they can then raise prices like they will for the Mini Vans that people love.

• Report this Comment On April 08, 2013, at 1:01 AM, dgvb55 wrote:

Maybe I'm the biggest fool here, but I own a 1993 Ranger. I've been perfectly happy with it all these years. If Ford ever decides to bring 'em back to NA, fine. Not sure I'll buy one though, because if the one I have still works, why bother?

• Report this Comment On April 08, 2013, at 7:42 AM, militarydave wrote:

I've never liked the F-150's past the 1990's. Big, bulky, and just... never were really that attractive to me. I own a 1989 2.9L Ranger XLT. Standard Cab, 7ft long bed, 5spd. It's had it's issues (fuel pumps, eletrical problems, etc) and it's maintenance items (brakes, clutches, filters, tires, etc). granted the A/C has not been working since 1999, but that's what the manually cranked windows are for.

the paint is fading, and window tint has started to peel, but as soon as I turn the key - fires right up. 189k miles later. all original. all motorcraft parts.

yes the newer trucks are user friendly, and park assist and all that crap. Perhaps back in the 80's and early 90's people gave a crap about their jobs?

i'm sorry but the quality in new vehicles now are just scary. in other words: they're not built like they used to. this goes for totyotas, nissans, chevy's etc.

I hope Ford brings back the Ranger and sticks to it's core purpose: a low horsepower, high torque, fuel efficient small truck.

I would then sell my 89 XLT for a new Ranger, only if it had a 5 or 6 speed in it....

.... as apparently i'm the only one that drives a stick shift (not including muscle cars) to work in traffic on a daily basis.

• Report this Comment On June 17, 2013, at 2:56 PM, steven1948 wrote:

I agree with the pro-Ranger comments! The Tacoma is pretty expensive and fuel hungry. The Dakota is gone, as are the Colorado and Canyon. I think a U.S. made and branded small truck still has a place in the market. It would also fit in my garage without folding the mirrors in and having to let the passenger out before pulling the truck in. Lots of homeowners need a truck to haul a little mulch, a lawnmower, some tree trimmings, etc. and a full size is bigger than needed. An I-4 with variable valve timing and a 5 speed automatic would also make a great daily driver.

• Report this Comment On August 28, 2013, at 10:25 PM, GinBoy2 wrote:

Don't get confused about what the current Ranger is. I own a Ranger in Thailand. Its a 2.2 Diesel Dual Cab, nothing like the old Ranger that was sold in the US (I had one of those). The new Ranger is somewhere in between the F-150 and the old Ranger. It gets great mileage. A full tank delivers 900km range. Big and roomy, its a great vehicle, I cant believe it wouldn't be a hit in the US

• Report this Comment On September 25, 2013, at 1:05 PM, kita92 wrote:

I have a 2007 ford ranger 4wd that we are selling. anyone looking for one. my number is 8083542514 will explain more if interested. also in the watertown ny area.

• Report this Comment On October 08, 2013, at 8:58 AM, TheLedzep wrote:

The price of gas hammers away at us consumers relentlessly. I own a Ranger 2002 and need a refresh. Retired and wiser there is no way I'm going to invest my kids heritage into a monster gas guzzlin hard to park, space hog F150. Time to shop for a Tacoma.

• Report this Comment On October 27, 2013, at 8:30 AM, Maillady wrote:

Hi there! Here's my two cents worth. I'm a rural mail carrier with the United States Postal Service. I've been doing the same job for 25 years. In those years, I have used a '78 Olds Cutlass, a surplus right hand drive mail Jeep, a '90 Ford Ranger, '99 Ford Ranger, '06 right hand drive Jeep Wrangler, and a last model year 2011 Ford Ranger. I still have the '99 and the '11 Ranger for what I believe to be obvious reasons. If you know anything about delivering the mail or know someone who does, you know how important a vehicle is to a mail carrier. I alternate between the '99 and '11 Ford Rangers. The '99 has chrome steel bumpers, '11 has painted plastic or composite bumpers. Where is the chrome in today's vehicles? Before I traded in the RHD Jeep I researched my options for four months. Every vehicle I looked at could not be driven from the right side (console in center, trans sifter in center). Ever noticed what kind of vehicle mail carriers drive. A lot drive the sedans, 4 doors, paint long gone, but they have a BENCH seat in the front and not a console. A lot of carriers drive the older RHD Jeep Cherokees. You see carriers have to safely drive from the right side. That means gas, brake, headlights, turn signals, parking brake must be done with their left hand and left foot. Trust me, it's harder than it sounds, but you adapt. I am a three brand new Ranger owner. Sure I've had problems, but I've gone back to the RANGER. In my office there are four RANGERS in service. The Ranger is narrow enough to sit in the passenger seat, with seat belt fastened and still reach all controls, not comfortable but still reach them. I am a 5' 10" female. I have bed covers on both the '99 and the '11. Actually, I took the bed cover off the '90, repainted it and put it on the '99. I need the cargo bed to carry packages. The cover keeps them safe and dry. I traded the '06 RHD Wrangler, tranny gone @ 56K on the '11 Ranger. Waited 4 months for Jeep to find me a tranny. Not enough cargo space in the Jeep, but would turn on a dime. I personally was hoping the overseas version would make it to the good ol' USA. You know kinda like when Mustang and Camaro were brought back. Lots of hype! I can just see it now! All these words for the non USA version that probably has a huge console, sifter and cup holders. I will keep my Rangers, repair them, wash, wax and give them my TLC. Oh, Ford there are around 113,000 rural carriers that need a vehicle to safely drive and deliver mail 6 days a week. Thank you for the opportunity to post here.

DocumentId: 2348785, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 4/20/2014 8:12:09 PM