LISBON, Portugal (AP) -- Portugal's prime minister says his government will announce new spending cuts worth 1.2 billion euros ($1.6 billion) next week to compensate for austerity measures disallowed by a court and to unblock access to its bailout funds.
The Constitutional Court last week declared some of this year's tax hikes unlawful, leaving the government with a 1.3-billion-euro hole in its 2013 budget.
Foreign creditors who lent Portugal 78 billion euros in 2011 consequently froze a scheduled disbursement of 2 billion euros until the government comes up with alternative measures. The government needs that money to pay expenses such as salaries and pensions.
Prime Minister Pedro Passos Coelho told reporters Friday that his Cabinet will next week announce a 600-million-euro reduction in the government budget and prune the same amount from public services.
Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.