Look Out, Apple: Here Comes BlackBerry

BlackBerry has rolled out its Z10 smartphone with the new BB10 operating system. In this video, Andrew Tonner reviews this product launch and the future launch of the Q10 smartphone. The Z10 has a touchscreen that may not appeal to BlackBerry loyalists, so the future launch of the Q10 with a keyboard may be a more critical launch, since it should appeal to these customers. The Q10 will reportedly sell for around $200 with a three-year contract.

Andrew says this series of product launches may help BlackBerry in the short run, but many analysts are bearish on the company's long-term prospects. Check out the video for more details.

There's no doubt that Apple is at the center of technology's largest revolution ever and that longtime shareholders have been handsomely rewarded, with more than 1,000% gains. However, there is a debate raging as to whether Apple remains a buy. The Motley Fool's senior technology analyst and managing bureau chief, Eric Bleeker, is prepared to fill you in on both reasons to buy and reasons to sell Apple and what opportunities are left for the company (and your portfolio) going forward. To get instant access to his latest thinking on Apple, simply click here now.


Read/Post Comments (33) | Recommend This Article (10)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 9:06 AM, Jjkiam wrote:

    BBRY is unfortunately DONE. The space in mobile is moving too fast with refresh timelines of @ 9 months or less. The new offerings lack some of the most important apps and the specs compete with last years models. The new QNX based OS is still working out it's bugs. And now the latest rumors are about customer returns which the company vehemently denies only making them stronger. I just don't see how they overcome these problems given the very limited capital they have in comparison to Apple or Samsung. Too bad. They simply waited too long to respond and now it's too late

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 9:44 AM, eidsonb wrote:

    @Jikiam...its amazing to me how one little analyst from one little group can purposely impact a stock price to make a position come true. The company didn't deny the rumors the fought them head on and when the so called analyst wont show you the research then it all smells funny, It is all an attempt to justify the short.

    Its funny yout alk about refresh becasue the beloved iToy has yet to really refresh itself. Just bigger and better whistles. It is still teh same phone that it was in 2007 when released. Apple no longer is the innovator.

    BB10.1 will be out with the q10 releases which will bring more functionality to it and the z10. They are listening to the users to make changes. Are there things that were in 7.1 that I miss yes,,,,but the whole experience of BB10 makes up for it ten fold.

    I would not call 3 Billion in Cash and zero debt limited capital. The fact is that BB does not have to pull a Pinky and the Brain and take over the world just continue to grow share and subscribers and the rest will take care of itself. It is my opinion that BB10 will be second withing two or three years. Slow and Steady,

    Funny you mention Samsung becasue they are trying to run as fast as they can away from that Buggy, Security nightmare Android.

    Apple could release iOS 27 for iToy 34 and it will still be the same as it is now as long as it is based on UNIX....

    BB10 and QNX changes things from mobile communications to mobile computing...its that good.

    Typed from my Z10...

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 10:43 AM, Rockthebest wrote:

    Oh JjKiam you sounds like a 12 year old. Do you want some ice cream.

    On a side note: how many find it hard to type comments with their iPhone. Man the keyboard is so weak, drives me nuts.

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 11:38 AM, Appleisdead2014 wrote:

    Hey it's not jikaim or Jizaims fault or however you say it .. Who cares actually lol... But like I said its not his fault. When your bred to work in a variety store and your whipped into believing the bs you are told its hard to think outside the box. We know he can"t possibly be shorting the stock because the reality is it would take sales of 3000 slurpies just to buy 100 shares of BB lol

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 11:48 AM, jelp2 wrote:

    For all of those who never used a Z10 and just read articles about it, you're out if the loop. BBRY has surpassed everything on the market right now. This device is smooth,fast,efficient etc. Anyone comparing hardware specs is clueless. You don't need a quad core chipset to run this phone with QNX. Therefore you don't need a car battery to run it. If you haven't used the phone, please don't quote the anti fanboy articles, because they're wrong. Try it for yourself and welcome to the future!!!

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 12:07 PM, SyDVooh wrote:

    There wouldn't be any rumors of poor sales and high returns of BBRY phones, if BBRY itself released exact figures on both of those numbers. By not doing so, and instead whining and crying about critics, it appears BBRY is trying to buy some time, hoping that sales will pick up, before they have to release dismal sales numbers and high phone returns numbers, next quarter.

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 12:59 PM, Smartphone wrote:

    SyDVooh,

    I have read your type of suggestion before. It sounds logical but it really doesn't make much sense. Blackberry should only provide its data at times it feels appropriate and in conformance with regulatory rules. If it responded to Detwiler's report with numbers, it would set itself up to have to respond to all sorts of basher reports, as those bashers would say that Blackberry already did it once, so why not again and again. That would waste valuable time for Blackberry.

    Better to focus on getting to the root of the problem, which Blackberry has done -- have the Detwiler report investigated by government agencies who can determine if the report was totally fallacious, used data which was cherry picked using only negative data collected from the field (assuming any data was collected, which I am not sure occurred) and not normal or positive ones, or was not thorough enough to release without disclosing how little backup work was performed. Also, if the Detwiler report was inadequate and purposely misleading, the government agencies could punish Detwiler, which would discourage wrong reports from being issued in the future without adequate backup data, which seem to move the markets much more than any positive report that can be issued. Thus, Blackberry's move to contact government agencies was the right step to take for a long range effect, than giving up data (which Detwiler and others would undoubtedly respond to by nitpicking about how it was inadequate).

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 1:06 PM, eidsonb wrote:

    I would not call it whining....if there was any truth to the nonsense BlackBerry would protest but take no action. By going to the regulatory boards and making an issue I think that speaks volumes about their case...

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 1:44 PM, SyDVooh wrote:

    @Smartphone: The root of the problem is that BBRY did not, and therefore could not respond with facts that would have dispelled all questions. So they decided to obfuscate the issue, hoping to provide good news later, because they can't provide good news now.

    @eidsonb: Going to regulatory boards and making an issue (whining) isn't illegal. Posting false good numbers is illegal, so BBRY didn't do that, because they don't have "real" good numbers.

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 2:09 PM, Smartphone wrote:

    SyDVooh,

    You stated -- "The root of the problem is that BBRY did not, and therefore could not respond with facts that would have dispelled all questions."

    Totally an unsupported opinion on your part, which leads to your obfuscation comment. I think, following your logic, that you should first prove your statement that Blackberry does not have facts to disprove the Detwiler statement. If you can, then I will second your request that Blackberry release their data.

    Looking forward to your response. I'm looking forward to seeing your proof.

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 2:22 PM, SyDVooh wrote:

    @Smartphone: If BBRY had the facts to disprove Detwiler Fenton's statements, then BBRY would have released those facts, to prove Detwiler Fenton wrong. BBRY didn't release any such facts, because those facts don't exist. The real facts, that BBRY is sitting on, actually prove Detwiler Fenton's report is correct. There is your proof! BBRY does not have the facts to disprove Detwiler Fenton's statements, because BBRY didn't produce those facts. Anyone of even average intelligence could figure that out. It's called ratiocination.

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 2:36 PM, Smartphone wrote:

    "If BBRY had the facts to disprove Detwiler Fenton's statements, then BBRY would have released those facts, to prove Detwiler Fenton wrong."

    That's still your OPINION, not mine and probably not that of most people. People recognize that it is not worthwhile for Blackberry to go down the road of disproving what allegations are made against it, as it would lead to them spending a great deal of their time doing so. Bashers like you would not believe anything Blackberry had to say anyway, and would come back with a related countercharge, trying to get Blackberry into a debate about it. Better to let the government authorities deal with it and punish Detwiler if they feel it is appropriate.

    This is starting to take up too much of my time. Your charge is not substantiated and can never be substantiated.

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 2:49 PM, SyDVooh wrote:

    @ Smartphone: Gee, what possible reason wouldn't BBRY want to disprove the allegations of poor sales and high returns?!? Are you serious? Really, really , really? Can you really be that deluded?

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 3:34 PM, Smartphone wrote:

    "The root of the problem is that BBRY did not, and therefore could not respond with facts that would have dispelled all questions."

    The root of YOUR PROBLEM is that you don't know, and seemingly can't understand, the difference between a FACT and an OPINION. A FACT is that Blackberry did not respond to Detwiler with facts that they then backed up. An OPINION is that they could not respond to Detwiler with facts they could support. You don't know if they could or not, so you are making a statement about your opinion.

    Did you graduate from high school? Probably not. It shows because you can't understand the basic difference between a fact and an opinion, which is really basic. You have made a fool of yourself to everyone who has read this thread, showing your lack of intelligence.

    Why don't you just move on and go back to bashing BBRY on all the websites you can, constantly changing your username. I am not going to waste any time with you, as you're obviously not very smart.

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 3:47 PM, TimKnows wrote:

    Andrew, the plan will be for 2-years in the US and that's after millions are sold to everyone else in the free world. The phone will be a huge success and it is clearly eating into Apple's consumer base. Who cares what sell-side analysts think goof. You need to get your head out of your ass and start doing some research.

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 3:59 PM, SyDVooh wrote:

    @Smartphone: My opinion is based on the fact that BBRY did not release any facts to counter the claims of Detwiler Fenton. That's a fact!

    Perhaps, if you could give some rational explanation, as to why BBRY didn't issue facts that could have easily countered the critics claims, other than the facts in BBRY possession actually prove the critics claim, then we would all be interested in your opinion.

    P.S. It is considered to be just fine to be a fool on this website.

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 4:54 PM, eidsonb wrote:

    @SyDVooh Why in Hades name would BB release numbers outside of a quarterly release...no one else does...its like asking the question does you mama know you use drugs...

    If they did not have any facts on thier side they would have whined and said its not true and stomped their feet and left...

    But by going to the regulators the last thing they want to do is be wrong...

    Typed again from my Z10

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 5:12 PM, SyDVooh wrote:

    @eidsonb: Releasing facts to prove that claims made against them are false, is easy to do if BBRY had those facts. If the facts that BBRY has prove their critics claim, then of course BBRY wouldn't release them. It is that simple.

    There are no consequences for BBRY going to complain to regulators, if BBRY is wrong, even knowingly wrong. So, it proves nothing, but implies that BBRY has no facts to counter their critic's claims.

    BBRY can't be damned for releasing facts that prove their critics wrong, though they will be damned for not releasing said facts, because it is assumed that the facts they aren't releasing, proves their critics correct.

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 5:33 PM, eidsonb wrote:

    Why...BB a special case....sells figures are part of quarterly release....sorry...

    This is like in the 1980's when the Democrats were convinced that the First President Bush flew on an SR71 to Iran before the inauguration to work out a deal to hold the hostages till Carter was out of office and the Great One was President. They had no facts but by Gawd they wanted to investigate...

    Adhere to Corporate Standards...if you dont then every one of these that come from the Shorties you will have to answer....

    BTW does you mommie know you use drugs??

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 5:34 PM, eidsonb wrote:

    would anyone ask Coke or Yum or Any company to release figures ahead of the quarter... NO

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 5:45 PM, SyDVooh wrote:

    @eidsonb: Your personal attacks show your desperation here. Coke and Yum aren't being questioned, BBRY is. There is no rule that they can't issue correct numbers, at other than quarterly report time, especially when their numbers are being questioned. It would seem the good public relations work would obligate them, on behalf of their investors, to correct the claims of their critics by releasing correct numbers to prove their critics wrong. BBRY hasn't done that. My conclusion is that they can't refute their critic's claims. I don't see how anyone could conclude anything else, unless they are some investor in denial, such as yourself.

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 6:17 PM, eidsonb wrote:

    Dude relax...There is no personal attack there....it was a question to illustrate my point that there is no way BB can answer the question correctly. Again if they answer the question now, outside of published corporate standards would open themselves to many such questions...Like does you mommie know you use drugs....

    If some two bit analyst from a institution that had been so wrong about them in the past was to say Coke had lost 25 percent of volume for the quarter I know Coke would not publish sales figures until the next quarterly release. It just does not happen in the real corporate world outside of such analysts who live in their patents basement.

    If some analyst was to say HD same stores sales were down based upon the research...they would not answer with actual sales figures....it just does not happen.

    I actually dont have a Dime invested in BB...just a fanboy who enjoys their products and do not like iToys or Andorids and think the cult of apple is scary...

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 6:23 PM, eidsonb wrote:
  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 7:07 PM, SyDVooh wrote:

    @eidsonb: Don't know what "does your mommy know you use drugs," has to do with it. And I do believe Coke would respond with real facts, and that if they didn't, then their main investor Berkshire Hathaway, Warren Buffet would be on the phone, telling them to do exactly that, and set their critics straight.

    Regardless of how you try to spin it, BBRY not responding promptly and accurately with the facts, is at best lousy public relations, to at worst, covering up the facts that prove their critics correct.

    If you have no skin in the game here, then why are you wasting everyone's time on this thread, when you don't know what you are talking about? Get a Life!

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 7:30 PM, Edecisions wrote:

    Well, don't know about everyone else, I decided to visit as many Verizon stores as I could this weekend, I picked up a Z10 and held it and played with it at every store I went to. I then asked to Speak with the manager, I asked what sorta returns they were having, and they seemed to know nothing about the reports about returns, most of the stores had no returns, one or two stores reported similar returns as other devices.

    They also offered up that a lot or new users were coming from the iPhone.

    I believe walking into 30+ stores beats all this BS and bad talk, the area I visited was Sacramento ca. Davis, woodland, Elk Grove, rancho Cordova , Rocklin.

    Talk to a store manager, see what's going on in the real world!

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 8:06 PM, jelp2 wrote:

    VZ already offered up the information that they are not having high returns of Z10. They said its all in line with every other platform to date.

    @Sydvooh, BBRY doesn't nor should they release any numbers to prove their point. Involving the SEC will first, show that BBRY knows the truth. They're not going to open an investigation to be proven wrong. Second, it should help to send a message to the "analysts" and "authors" of these outright misleading polls and articles that enough is enough. It's obviously an attempt to help cover the short interest since everything they were hoping to happen, didn't. Hopefully there will be fines involved. Hit them in the wallet, just like they're trying to do to BBRY.

  • Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 8:51 PM, eidsonb wrote:

    @jelp2...my point exactly....

    @Syd...kinda ironic I watched Toy Story tonight dont cha think...just becasue I have yet to invest money in BBRY doesnt mean I cant comment on things involving Technology...

    The point is that there is not an yes or no answer to every question...

    And as shown this one analyst has been anti BB and proven wrong several times...

  • Report this Comment On April 15, 2013, at 8:53 AM, Johnnys57 wrote:

    @SyDVooh Just curious, why is it that BB needs to release facts and figures to make you happy, but Detwiler doesn't need to release thier methodology and data sources?

  • Report this Comment On April 15, 2013, at 10:16 AM, infektu wrote:

    @SyDVooh

    You just don't want to get it, do you?

    If DF or whoever comes out with a claim, they should be able to prove it, not BBRY.

    BBRY reported 1M Z10 sales at the QR, this is their obligation, nothing more.

    Now Verizon stated that the return story is a complete fabrication. What else does a normal person expect?

    If somoe lunatic claims that your wife cheats on you, should you have to provide daily snapshots of your bedsheets, or should he prove his allegations and if not capable, pay for it?

  • Report this Comment On April 15, 2013, at 1:29 PM, SyDVooh wrote:

    @Johnny57, infektu, and eidsonb: BBRY should release the accurate figures as they are the only one who has those figures. If BBRY has numbers that refute the claims of Detwiler Fenton, then they can prove them wrong. What don't you get about that?

    Detwiler Fenton put their names to the article, and showed how they arrived at their conclusions. It wasn't some rumor from nowhere, such as the false claims that 2 million BBRY phones were sold to the Chinese military, or that some unknown buyer ordered 1 million phones in advance.

    And eidsonb, you just watched Toy Story? Figures.

  • Report this Comment On April 15, 2013, at 1:41 PM, trybeforeyoubash wrote:

    Why are Americans so Hateful towards Blackberry and why are they so afraid of this little Canadian Company.

    They bash the handset calling it unfriendly and unintuitive. Let me just say if my wife can use this phone for making phone calls, texting and yes even use Facebook this phone must be one of the simplest devices out there. She wasn’t able to do have the stuff she is doing on the other device she had.

    As for QNX it must be a pretty stable platform since it is used in the military for mission critical device you know the stuff that cant afford to go down, its also in 60% of all automobiles produced worldwide, Nuclear power plants because they could not be trusted running Windows or Apple for that matter.

    There is plenty of room out there in the world for all device including Apple, Android and yes Blackberry.

    So stop being a bunch of Big American Babies and learn to play nice in the sandbox.

  • Report this Comment On April 15, 2013, at 1:49 PM, eidsonb wrote:

    Oh and Syd.....

    Shut the Front Door will you..

    http://blackberryempire.com/verizon-backing-up-blackberry-z1...

  • Report this Comment On April 15, 2013, at 2:49 PM, SyDVooh wrote:

    @eidsonb: Did you even read your link? "If it comes to an investigation, BBRY is likely to have that information." Ya Think? And if they had info positive to them, then there would be no need for an investigation at all. They would prove their critics wrong, Right Now. So it's probable, that the info that they are hiding, is Negative News for BBRY.

Add your comment.

DocumentId: 2362258, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 4/20/2014 2:26:26 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

TREND TRACKER: Get Rich When the Web Goes Dark

It's time to say "goodbye" to your Internet! One bleeding-edge technology is about to put the World Wide Web to bed. And if you act right away, it could make you wildly rich. Experts are calling it the single largest business opportunity in the history of capitalism… The Economist is calling it "transformative"... but you'll probably just call it "how I made my millions." Big money is already on the move. Don't be too late to the party – find out the 1 stock to own when the Web goes dark.


Advertisement