Why Ford Has to Bring Back the Ranger

I consider management to be the biggest factor when choosing which companies to invest in. The best products in the world will fail if the company is run by idiots. Ford (NYSE: F  ) has great management, but its decision to stop selling the Ranger in North America is a mistake. Trucks bring in the majority of profits for Ford and General Motors (NYSE: GM  ) , making it the most important segment to the Detroit companies. It's a segment Ford has long dominated, and killing the Ranger gives its rivals – like the Toyota (NYSE: TM  ) Tacoma – a chance to grow revenues. So far management has stuck to their guns and the Ranger is only available overseas, but I strongly believe Ford will change that – maybe as soon as this year.

You can look, but not touch. Meet the most impressive truck you can't have.

Photo source: Ford Motor

Downsizing
In the U.S. market the trend is vehicle downsizing, as pointed out in a survey by J.D. Power. They recorded that 27% of consumers purchased a smaller vehicle than their previous ride. Following that logic, we could potentially see a future rebound in the midsize truck segment, which has been in decline for years. Killing the Ranger eliminates the midsize pickup truck option for Ford's loyal customers and that's costing the company money.

Efficiency
Some argued that Ford's trimming of platforms to create a leaner operating structure is why the Ranger was killed. That couldn't be further from the truth. The Ranger is sold in 180 countries and will remain a core platform down the road. It's become a hot commodity in Australia and has a chance to be Ford's No. 1 seller in the country this year. It's also gaining popularity in parts of Asia and looks to play a role as that region's sales explode.

Competition
Ford defended its move by saying loyal customers would simply step up to the F-150. That was a bad assumption – as the Ranger made its market exit the market share of the Tacoma jumped 16% in 2012.

The fact is that not everyone needs or wants an F-150. For some it's just too big to be a viable option, or too expensive. There is the crowd that uses these trucks as tools for work; those consumers will always buy the large pickup. That said, there's a large crowd of people like myself who would like to own a smaller truck for the few times I need to haul something – while still having a viable ride in the city.

Currently the Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier are the only options for us, but GM confirmed that a redesigned Chevrolet Colorado will resurface later this year. When that happens, expect the Colorado to quickly take the sales lead in the segment and follow it up by sticking its tongue out at rival Ford. I then expect Ford to hastily set up a press release stating plans to bring the Ranger back to the U.S. market – maybe as soon as next year.

Bottom line
The Ranger model that is sold overseas is near the top of its compact class for towing capacity and has impressed in many different categories. With the current engine it's rated between 26-28 MPG and can still tow a payload of over 7,300 pounds. The Ranger has already been produced to comply with government standards in North America, leaving zero reason why it can't be brought back right away.

If gas prices ever go through the roof this truck could bring back sales the midsize segment hasn't seen in over a decade. If gas prices never go through the roof, I'm still convinced the Ranger – with EcoBoost engine options – would still sell very well. It wouldn't bring in quite as much profit per vehicle as the F-Series, but it's better than losing sales to competitors. As a Ford investor, I want the Ranger back in the U.S. and contributing to its revenues as soon as possible. I believe it isn't a matter of if Ford brings the Ranger back, but when.

Worried about Ford?
If you're concerned that Ford's turnaround has run its course, relax -- there's good reason to think that the Blue Oval still has big growth opportunities ahead. We've outlined those opportunities in detail, in the Fool's premium Ford research service. If you're looking for some freshly updated guidance to Ford's prospects in coming years, you've come to the right place -- click here to get started now.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 10:56 AM, belseware wrote:

I have to agree Ford should/will return Ranger to NA...it's good to know the global Ranger is already homologated for the USA, but what about production capacity?

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 11:05 AM, ricrane300 wrote:

I have a 2004 Ford Ranger and was really surprised when they stopped making them. I am at a point when I am starting to think about a new truck and the only one in my price range is the Chevy Colorado. I find the F150 too expensive and out of my price range. If I recall Ford sold more Rangers in its final year than Mustang but did away with the ranger any way. If they bring it back soon enough and I'm working I would certainly buy a new one.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 11:13 AM, nongolfer wrote:

I would like to see GM upside the Colorado to match the Tacoma. If they did that I would come off my 3/4 ton diesel in a heartbeat.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 11:35 AM, BradTallTexan wrote:

it only made sense to drop the current Ranger- to break the current mental ties people have to the appearance and styling- then to relaunch after a 2 to 3 year break with some new version.

Of course, I'm 6'7" it would be nice if SOMEONE would make a vehicle I fit in (other than my Nissan Cube) -I think last time I tried- I risk neck injury in all the base full size pickups when/ or if I ever hit a bump in the road- and simply don't fit at all in most vehicles- except the Nissan Cube and Ford Flex.

That said, with the trend toward the mini-vehicle jumping from Japan to the USA with our 55 mpg CAFE rules arriving soon- I'm looking at motorcycles for transportation in the future.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 11:37 AM, MuleDeerHunter wrote:

I was also disappointed about the Ranger's removal and agree it should be sold again in North America . . . immediately. While serving overseas I noted there were Rangers with diesel engines and when they're re-introduced this would be a HUGE selling point.

Go diesel Ford!

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 11:38 AM, bobthegoodone wrote:

I love my 2010 Ranger , I use it for tthe smaller loads up to 1500 pounds or so and use my big truck for those heavy loads 4 ton and up. I am getting anywhere from 24 to 28 mpg depending on the load and terrian

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 11:43 AM, rnatkin1 wrote:

As a Ford retiree, I to thought Ford should have continued the Ranger in North America and argued with Ford Top management in 2010 to do so.

Bottom line (and this came from the Ranger chief name-plate engineer), unless Ford can sell at least 150K units/year, it can not justify the tooling investment, and importing them from the current off-shore assembly plants would raise their prices above their U.S. market competitors, so unless enough market share is projected to be available, (150K units/yr), do not expect Ford to tool and produce the new Ranger in North America

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 11:50 AM, miztroll wrote:

Ranger is a great truck. We liked our son's 2001 so much, my husband recently bought a used 2005 Ranger when it was time to retire his '98 Dodge Ram behemoth. We were surprised to find out Ford stopped making the Ranger.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 12:03 PM, sovring wrote:

I am a used truck dealer of Govt vehicles. The Ranger is the best selling vehicle I sell. They sell quick. They last as long as Toyotas too almost. Dumbest mistake Ford ever made to stop making them. Nobody wants an 8 cylinder. Dumb.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 12:07 PM, sovring wrote:

Also. most sales are from parents for their kids. Fire the guy who couldnt make the math work on this truck.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 12:09 PM, grandparanger wrote:

My last Ranger I drove for 300,000 miles and never had a problem. When I baught another truck it was a Ranger, I paid a little more for it than I should because I knew that I could get the same long life as the last one. Some day I will buy anouther and I want a Ranger.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 12:19 PM, Charnros wrote:

I hope Ford bring the Ranger back. Ford seem to be good at making bad decisions. Such as expiring the Taurus, there were others, only to return it a few years later after failure of its successor, the Five Hundred. The F-150 is a big truck, just as the Dodge Ram 1500 that I own. It's nice and I'm happy to have it for hauling but I don't need that much of a pickup truck for commuting.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 12:44 PM, sashafrash wrote:

We currently own three Rangers and they are the best trucks ever. One has 300,000 miles and one of the others has 195,000. They've always been solid and reliable and easy to maintain.

Ford....please bring back the Ranger!

And offer it with a manual transmission!

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 12:57 PM, NMstacker wrote:

My '05 Ranger Edge is still immaculate, and aside from new brakes and new tires now at 70,000 miles, it is the best truck I've owned in 40+ years. The 3.0L V6 gets 20/24 mpg, and would probably get better if I kept my foot out of it.

If they got rid of the fake bolt heads on the fender wells, and put the 365hp/420tq Ecoboost in a top of the line model? I'd buy that race truck!

I keep my nice '79 F-250 for heavy work, but it is obviously not a daily driver. If they don't bring back a new Ranger, I'll keep this one 'til the wheels fall off. Tacomas are overrated ...

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 1:01 PM, indy06 wrote:

Ford didn't take lightly getting out of markets nor would any company. It's not just the Ranger, they also left the mini-van market. It's about profitability and cash flow.

The US auto industry is proof that being big doesn't always mean profitable. Selling vehicles just for the sake of selling vehicles is not smart.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 1:05 PM, cityperson wrote:

I have had two Ford Rangers and all had over 300, 000 miles on them when I sold or traded them away. I have Colorado only, because Ford did not offer one in the US with four doors. Big mistake for for the Ford Company getting rid of the Ranger. But this newer Ranger, I will hope Ford brings out a four door Ranger model this time around, like the Colorado.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 1:28 PM, HW247 wrote:

Im thinking the main reason we dont have the Ranger is because it was based on the full frame Explorer. Now that the Explorer is a front wheel drive platform Ford dont have any base for the Ranger. So, its going to have to be imported, talking to Ranger owners plus owners of other makes there IS a market here in the US for a small truck with a turbo diesel, which is in the Ranger in every country in the world with the exception of the US and Canada.Come on Ford, give us a 4 door Ranger with a turbo diesel instead of those high dollar eco boost things you are pushing on us.Oh, and by the way, leave out the My Ford Touch, which is junk.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 1:49 PM, cesisson wrote:

Please bring back the Ranger to the US! I would buy one today.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 2:00 PM, coastalcordage wrote:

The Ranger and if memory serves me correctly now the SportTrac is no longer available. Why is it that the F150 which is absolutely abyssmal in fuel economy is my first-line choice in Ford truck products? Decisions such as this only leads me to give more creedence to Fords competition when selecting vehicles. Ford is bringing to much of a "bells and whistles" mentality to their product line and less "it'll run hard for twenty years" mentality.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 2:02 PM, ralf914 wrote:

And Dodge quit making the Dakota. So my son buys an overpriced 1500 Ram. We tried to get him to keep the old Dakota longer or buy a used truck.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 2:03 PM, Mick1234 wrote:

Have a friend in Australia that owns the new Ranger Turbo diesel, says it blows the Toyota HiLux out of the water, which is better than the US Tacoma...if Ford brought it over here, it would tromp the Tacoma. Not sure why Ford doesn't realize that. Like many I do not need nor want a fullsize truck the midsize trucks are about perfect. Currently in a Tacoma, but looking for a new truck....Ford better hurry up or I am buying another Tacoma....Chevy's new Colorado that is coming looks good too!

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 2:09 PM, upcountryman wrote:

If you read Consumer reports reviews of the Ranger over the years, you'll wonder why anyone would ever want it to return.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 2:22 PM, Zonniwoop wrote:

I never really thought that the size of the former 'Ranger' pick ups was good; The competitions' were far more realistic in cab comfort, whether you rode or drove in an S-10, Colorado, Dodge Dakota or Toyota Tacoma, or even a Nissan Frontier!

The 'Ranger', the old ones at least, were far too small for an average height adult, in my opinion.

I knew many individuals who were formerly Ford buyers, but chose the Dodge Dakota, because the new 'Rangers' were too small and the F-150 was too big and too expensive. So, It also puzzled me when Dodge STOPPED selling the Dakota line -up of Trucks too. I now hear that there WILL BE a NEW 2015 Dakota and that it should go on sale mid 2014, which is only about a year from now! Maybe the New 'Ranger' will be better in size, when and if Ford returns it to the American market.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 2:35 PM, ProfMarty wrote:

I own my 3rd Ford Ranger.

LOVED it from my first sit-in

before they were even in production.

Perfect size for me. Good quality.

(Im 6'4', 265 pounds.)

ZERO interest in a larger truck.

I have a 2004 Ranger now, with 83,000 miles.

Let's see how long it will last. Perfect so far!

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 3:27 PM, paleghost1 wrote:

Dear FOMOCO, I had been a loyal Ford buyer for 30 odd years and three of those have been Rangers the latest an 07 xlt. I tend to vote with my checkbook that means your bottom line. I just replaced my car I did not even look at a Mustang I bought a Challenger, when my Ranger (good little truck that it is) passes on I will not look at an F-150 or the Ranger if you bring it in country. I understand that one person will not make or

break you and that's not the point, the point is this a couple million loyal buyer quit your products you will notice :-) Have a nice day.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 3:39 PM, Xipetotec wrote:

The new Ranger is available here in El Salvador and can be had for about $25,000 cash (minus rollbar, etc.).

It's a beautiful machine. Plenty of room inside and nice details. Looks pretty tough too. They are being made in South Africa. It's said that the US military has made large purchases of this model for use in the Middle East, which (if true) would attest to its ruggedness.

Buyers say that you really do get around the rated 25-28 MPG.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 4:08 PM, driveshaft4545 wrote:

the f150 has always been too big for my needs

both in size and price

i had a datsun truck in 1972 it got good fuel mileage i could live with

the problem with the current crop of trucks

is the people that need one cant afford to buy them

till there 15 to 20 years old

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 4:11 PM, nicolesdad wrote:

I had an 89 ford ranger from when I was 18 till I was 27. When I bought it, it had over 120,000 miles on it when I sold it I had surpassed 400,000 (trips to the outter banks and back) Only once did it leave me stranded (my own fault) I would gladly buy a new Ranger if Ford ever brought it back! Also the Ranger is still going strong as a farm truck on my fathers farm!

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 4:21 PM, BugsMalone wrote:

Will not buy another Ford truck until the Ranger or one the same size returns

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 4:29 PM, Galane wrote:

It's just Ford being non-competitive again. The original Thunderbird handily outsold the Corvette for three years. Then Ford threw away its huge lead in the sports car market in America by making the Thunderbird a 4 seater, or actually discontinuing the real Thunderbird and putting the name on a different car. The four seat "Thunderbird" sold better but the true T-Bird was only made three years. (See also the four door "Charger" made by Chrysler. Two too many doors!)

Ford hasn't made a Corvette competitor since and has actively resisted doing so for 55 years. The GT's target was hyper expensive European supercars, not the Corvette, and priced out of reach of even the range of most people with enough money to afford the bloated price of a new 'Vette.

Ford has failed to produce what its customers have wanted since 1933, a direct competitor to the Suburban. Ford has done smaller and larger (which was a big flop) but for inexplicable reasons will not build a truck the same size as the Suburban. The shorter and narrower Explorer prompted GM to hack a few inches out of the Suburban to make the Yukon/Tahoe. The Excursion failure was followed up by the Explorer XL. Finally got the form right but it's like a scale model of the Suburban. Still can't haul the people and payload the Suburban can.

A truck market that's really ripe for the picking in the USA is the really small pickup segment, which Ford abandoned in 1985 when they stopped importing the Courier. 'Course the "Chicken Tax" bill with its 25% import duty on light trucks had a hand in that. (That import duty is the only part of that law that hasn't been repealed.)

Ford could license build in the USA one of the trucks of similar size still being made elsewhere, as long as it could meet American safety standards. Or they could do some lobbying to fully repeal the "Chicken Tax" and import a small truck again.

Without any new trucks of that size available in the USA, the old Courier, Isuzu P'up, Chevy LUV, Dodge D50, Plymouth Arrow and the Mitsubishi version of those have held resale value and even get restored from rusted out basket cases.

Why? Because there's a pent up demand for a SMALL pickup in this country, a demand which the "Big Three" refuse to sell vehicles to.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 4:31 PM, Deltadon77 wrote:

Bring it back! The Ranger was just the right size for most urban drives who use it for small projects and a frugal drive to work.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 4:35 PM, wolflady53 wrote:

thats good to know if they do that, i want to know asap so i can go get one right away i have ben wanting anthor ranger but they are not that avalible around here n i am not interested toyota tacoma or nissan frontieror even the chevy colorado as it is now n then there not that easy to find right now either

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 4:37 PM, oddments9 wrote:

No kidding-- I couldn't BELIEVE Ford dropped the Ranger just when folks everywhere were buying smaller trucks. Small trucks absolutely dominate the highways in my city and are hard to find.

It took me a year to find a Ranger I wanted. Found an 09 with low mileage and I LOVE it. I've also driven an 85 Chevy Silverado for 18 years which I love but the gas was killing me. I do love the bench seat, standard cab and real METAL of my 85 Chevy. My 2-dr, standard cab Ranger is perfect.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 4:45 PM, frankie123456789 wrote:

I need a small truck that gets great MPG. I wanted to buy a Ford but they cut the Ranger for some bad reason. Now I have to buy a darn Tacoma because Ford is short sighted! If Ford brings back the Ranger they need to bring back the small Bronco with a fuel efficient motor as well. WAKE UP FORD!!!!!

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 5:02 PM, chuc0419 wrote:

I bought a new Ford Ranger in 1990 and it was the best truck I ever owned. I drove it for 16 years and the only thing I had to change on it was the radiator, timing belt and battery.

It always ran just like the day I drove it off the lot brand new. I even had a name for it "old Betsy"

It had a 2.3 liter engine with a 5 speed clutch, I had well over 200 thousand miles on it.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 5:28 PM, fortyniner1949 wrote:

What a great article. Everything I would say to the management at Ford. The Ranger Crew Cab, as sold in Australia, will be an incredible success story when it debuts for Ford in the U.S. Eco-boost engines combined with innovative option packages Ford will only add to current successes like the Fusion and Focus. After working for Ford over 30 years, I am proud to see what Alan Mulally and team have accomplished with Ford Motor Company. What we are seeing now is just the tip of the iceberg of plans begun many years ago. Don't blow this opportunity! Bring back a new, bold and exciting Ranger.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 6:00 PM, cheapskate63 wrote:

I owned 5 Ford Explorers before my last Ford which was a SportTrac. I loved my Trac and really wanted another when it came time to trade but that's when they stopped making them. I wouldn't buy a Tonka toy Ranger and there was no way I was going to go into a full size F150 because of the MPG and the cost factor. I went to Toyota for the Tacoma Double Cab model. After 1 1/2 years I am still not really happy with it but there aren't many options out there. Ford does need to bring something back to the US for the mid-size market!

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 6:04 PM, luckyagain wrote:

Ford has taken the short term view of the Ranger and decided that it was not selling enough trucks to keep selling it. This made sense since Ford was probably not making much money from the Ranger.

On a longer term view, it might turn out to mean that they lost a few million customers forever. Ranger customer base was not large but was devoted. Now most of them will go elsewhere.

Just remember Ford did the same thing with the Taurus and then changed the name of the 500 back to Taurus. In this case, no other Ford product is available to do a switcheroo.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 6:18 PM, RangerFord5 wrote:

Going back quite a few years, when the Ranger was first introduced, I was driving an S-10 4x4, 2.8 automatic that couldn't get out of it's own way .. GUTLESS, totally gutless, and the constant trans. shifting would drive you nuts ! My father-in-law had just purchased a new std. cab Ranger XL 4x4, 2.9 auto.., and let me try it out .. The first time I nailed the gas on that Ranger, and it " barked ", and took off like I'd just stolen it, I WAS HOOKED !!

Ranger # 5 sits out in my driveway .. '06 FX-4 Level 1, with most of the " toys ".. 55,000 miles, and counting .. I've owned two of the first generation, and one of each generation since .. Climbed into a new F-150 std. cab 4x4 recently, and was shocked by HOW SMALL it was inside.. Not much bigger than my Ranger inside ..

Comparable options to my Ranger, and a $37,000 price tag !! Ford, YOU SCREWED-UP !!

NOT EVERYONE, wants / needs, a crew-cab, 4x4, nor can afford a $30,000+ truck ! We buy (bought) Rangers .. Put your new 3.7 V-6 (300+h.p.) in your Asia/ Aus./Euro Ranger and SELL ME ONE !! Otherwise, " Bye,bye Ford ..... Hello Chevy / Toyota " !

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 6:23 PM, ritchie25 wrote:

I have seen these Rangers as pictured above,in the Philippines.They come with TURBO DIESELS,OPTIONAL!!

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 6:27 PM, opnyn8d wrote:

With the choice of EcoBoost or diesel engines and a size and price below full size pickups, this is just what customers need. A true back seat, which the Ranger never had, is a major plus. Give it some car-like touches for those who use it as a daily driver, and only occasionally haul things. Rename it the F50 (and maybe the F50 Ranger for the top model) and they add to the F-Series sales lead numbers. It looks like the hood slopes enough so a short driver can see past it for close maneuvering, which the full size trucks don't allow. I am gathering my down payment; hurry and import it.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 6:43 PM, CalGuy wrote:

One major obstacle that would prevent Ford from selling the new Global Ford Ranger in NA is "chicken tax". Unless Ford manufactures the pickup in the US, it will be subjected to a 25% tariff. I do wish Ford decides to manufacture and sell a smaller pickup for the NA market, however I would prefer Ford to build a compact pickup with a small diesel engine rather than import the midsize Ranger. If they used an existing RWD platform like the Mustang, Ford could build a car-based truck that ought to do well in crash tests. A small EcoBoost or diesel engine in a unibody pickup ought to deliver better than 35 MPG. As long as the truck had some sort of RWD, had a base price less than $20K, and could haul 4 x 8 sheets, I think it would sell very well.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 6:49 PM, ssmith66 wrote:

I have owned a ranger since 1998 (my second ranger) and Love the truck. It has 275,000 miles on it and is still plugging away. Sadly I will be replacing it soon and will not be looking at f-150. I do not want and will not buy a full sized pick-up. I use my truck for work as a field biologist and hate driving large vehicles in the field. rangers and the older/smaller tacomas are perfect work trucks, that have good maneuverability on unimproved dirt roads and trails and their light weight lets them outperform full sizes in sand and makes up for the lower power (as long as you don't need them for towing). Also, as someone who has dug my fair share of vehicles out of sand/mud and dragged a few out of mud with high lift jacks chained to trees I appreciate lighter weight vehicles!!!

I'm also not sure of the author's assumption that contractors and construction folks will always buy the f-150s and silverados. I've lived all over the country and when I see electricians, carpenters, landscapers, pool guys, pest control people, etc driving around they are often times using smaller trucks. To me the reason is perfectly clear. Try climbing in and out of the bed of a full size to retrieve tools/materials multiple times a day every day. It get's old fast. with a ranger, or the tacoma before it grew you could easily reach into the bed over the side to retrieve equipment. This is a huge plus if you don't need the power of a big truck to haul trailers or to move loads of sand/ concrete, etc. Of course the people that haul heavy construction equipment and materials and tow trailers will always need to big trucks but there are certainly lots of people using these small trucks as work vehicles. They are perfect contractor trucks for many. I think Orkin's decision to move over to toyota rather than step up to the 150 is a perfect example. Orkin has a fleet of nearly half a million rangers and until 2012 bought thousands a year. They apparently saw no reason to step up to the f150!!

Big mistake ford!!!

Here I am shopping for used rangers, and new tacomas/nissans. Either way ford dealerships aren't getting my business. I'm upset that I even have to try to shop for a truck now. It used to be so easy to just go to the ford dealer and buy my next ranger. Not anymore.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 6:55 PM, Mustang1993 wrote:

If FORD contiunes to let the IDIOTS in the design department continue,,FORD will die,,they killed the RANGER,,they are going to kill the MUSTANG with a freaking butt ugly design just like they did in the late 70's,,FORD does not have a car that I would buy as of right now,BUTT UGLY is what they are trying to sell,,same with GM,,keep building front wheel cars(UGLY CARS AT THAT!!! ) everyone wants us to buy a EUROPEAN looking car!! BRING back the Ranger,not everyone wants a BIG truck,,some one needs to take the so-called design engineers of today out into the woods and beat their butts with a big stick,, tired of the UGLY-UGLY cars they want us to buy!!!

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 7:15 PM, homelessgdog wrote:

I have never owned a Ford truck. However, I did manage to get one in 2006 as a company truck. I put 30k miles a year on her. V6 engine, single cab for union electrical work. My Dodge 3/4 ton Diesel got better mileage. Truck was very reliable with no mechanical issues!! I say bring it back with a decent engine. Most guys I work with are looking for Tacoma's. Just my two cents, IBEW Inside Wireman.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 7:32 PM, MnGemini wrote:

I had a 1997 Ranger that I bought in 1999 When I went to look for a new one in 1999, the Ranger was no longer available. I considered the Explorer but it was bigger than what I was looking for. I tried the Chevy Colorado but didn't like the cheap, tinny feel it had. I checked out the Tacoma and liked it but it was a little over my price range. I ended up buying the 4-door Nissan Frontier and can honestly say that I have enjoyed it. However, had the Ranger been available in the 4-door, I would have gone with it.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 8:23 PM, popeye1250 wrote:

And until they bring back MERCURY I'm not buying or leasing *ANYTHING* from them!

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 9:18 PM, sidewind5r wrote:

they need to bring the pricing back to what it was in 98. 12 grand for a ranger. you want to seel an entry level truck you need an entry level price. the last time I looked at the sticker for a new ranger is was just below a stripped down f-150. that is just plan stupid. bring back the ranger and a price that people can afford.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 10:20 PM, funkyagent wrote:

Bring back the Ford Bronco too! Miss it. Always bought one every two years.

• Report this Comment On April 13, 2013, at 11:58 PM, formerowner wrote:

I purchased a 01 Ranger on 02. I traded for a Tacoma in 11. I enjoyed the Ranger. I never had an issue. It was better in bad weather than my Tacoma, however got terrible gas mileage. I live in a mountainous rural area best I ever got was around 14 MPG. My Tacoma averages 18 MPG. It has a bigger motor 4.0 compared to 3.0. I also burn wood pellets and transporting them from the store to the house was an adventure in the Ranger. The Tacoma handles the load very well. If Ford redesigned the Ranger and included a 4 door option I would explore purchasing another.

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 12:32 AM, puppybone69 wrote:

The truck shown in the pic may be called a Ranger overseas, but it's actually the truck they used to call an Explorer here, and they stopped selling those here too. The Ranger sold here was a 2 door truck, it was never a 4 door truck. Compare the truck in the pic with the last Ranger and the last Explorer truck sold here, it's obvious which one it resembles!

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 1:21 AM, LungsOfSteel wrote:

Oh, so Ford sells this stuff overseas? Chances are it was built with safety (or lack thereof) in mind for something other than the US market.

Additionally, the Explorer was based on the Ranger, correct? Current Explorer is unibody, not body-on-frame, which is not considered ideal for a workhorse. Would it be possible to convince Americans that a unibody Ranger will be adequate? Possibly, but right now Explorer sales are in the crapper (due to a changing market), so it's possibly good strategy that Ford is using its resources elsewhere.

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 1:34 AM, dgeorge2 wrote:

A restyled Ranger with a manual transmission, maybe a diesel engine option, I would be sold. I think Chevy is considering offering a diesel in their new Colorado (I will not hold my breath) since they offer that option outside the U.S. I bought a Colorado back in 2006 because I liked the styling better than the Ranger, but it was a tough choice.

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 3:26 AM, btc909 wrote:

Don't price a Ranger like a Dakota and you have a winner.

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 8:26 AM, Queens5 wrote:

I love the Ford Ranger as well the Chevy Silverado truck,but I have to admit that what make the Ford Ranger different is this truck have two bars one on each side near the front passengers and driver. For must keep in mind that a lots of people have disable family and they need more space on the back for the reason that its not recommended that ,they are to seat in the front. like my son he mentally challenge but because he cannot bent his foot or legs he must seat in a car that have a lots of space .Also the motor vehicle even said because in the case of a sudden stop they cannot control their body on their own ,it could cause injuries,also the bar protects the wheelchairs on the back open ,easy reachable in the time of bad weather.

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 8:52 AM, twilso4 wrote:

IF new ranger is to come to U.S. soil, the truck should be built here, like in the past, so it can be the best small truck available again AND, built by U.S. workers! can no longer be built at its last home though, st.paul, twin cities mn. as that once historic assembly plant will be leveled during the next few months.

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 9:18 AM, BenHurtToo wrote:

Detroit has always been suicidial, letting executives make ridiculous decisions, instead of asking consumers outright what should we keep and what should we change. I liked the Ranger, but it didn't compare with the old Mazda B2000 which could haul elephants and get 30mpg. IF a truck could be built that well in the mid-eighties, why don't we have one even better today? Executives. That's why.

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 9:49 AM, oshuneer wrote:

US pick-up trucks have become ridiculously, some would say obscenely large. Few people need such trucks and those who do tend to be commercial operators. Most pick-ups seen on the road every day are hauling a single passenger plus air. The rest of the world does just fine with Ranger-sized trucks, including commercial users. Just as we ditched the oversized passengers sleds Americans will eventually lose their fuller than full-sized trucks.

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 1:11 PM, CommonScents wrote:

So <i>does</i> Ford have great management???? This decision looks like a massive blunder the way it's described here. Massive blunders don't make me think "that's a great management team."

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 1:53 PM, scotdo wrote:

How about the Mexican Ford Courier mini pickup? That is exactly what I would buy. Even the Ranger is bigger than I prefer.

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 3:31 PM, fisquid wrote:

I don't see where Ford management can possibly believe they're doing anything but walking away from that market segment. A person wanting a compact pickup like the Ranger will certainly buy a compact pickup from another make, rather than get some huge thing they don't need. That's a no-brainer right there, and it's no surprise that Toyota took that market share because Ford just walked away from it!

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 6:04 PM, oneofthemasses wrote:

The last rangers where getting so huge they were mere inches from a full size. Come on ford. Bring back a true mini pickup again. And don't mess it up by making it front wheel drive like dodge did with the little rams.

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 7:37 PM, uncoveror wrote:

GM killing the Chevy S-10 was epic stupidity. They handed the entire domestic compact pick-up market to Ford. I never imagined that Ford would monkey see monkey do such an epic blunder, but was I ever wrong! I underestimated the stupidity of senile senior executives and the yes men who tell them how brilliant they are in boardrooms. They break everything they touch! I own a '96 Ranger, and always thought I would replace it with another when it finally broke down. Now, I can't. My bed liner and cover had remained compatible with any new Ranger until they pulled the plug. I advise anyone holding Ford stock to sell. No corporate board this clueless deserves investors.

• Report this Comment On April 14, 2013, at 8:40 PM, JDerek40 wrote:

I have owned a '90 Ranger, 5spd 4cyl, '93 S-10, 5spd 2.8 V6 and an '04 Ranger, Auto, 3.0 V6. As well as an '01 King Ranch. The small trucks over the years got bigger and away from what they were originally intended to be. They work out great for small jobs around the house. They were good on gas and they were actually TRUCKS! You know, frames underneath and all. The Rangers all beat me to death and were underpowered. The S-10 walked that perfect balance for me. I saw lots of Ranger CREW CABS AND Diesels overseas and always wondered why they weren't available here? They fit a small niche that has been largely filled by Nissan and Toyota but even those have gotten bigger over the years. The small truck fits perfectly for the home owner that doesn't need a full size truck or something to drive everyday. That is what they need to get back to.

• Report this Comment On April 21, 2013, at 10:27 AM, kenob1 wrote:

Ford didn't kill the ranger,they re-designed it and moved it to Thailand.and sales are doing very well.the new look is way better than what was offered to the American public.and U.S. auto's sell very well in china also.in fact,our cars are preferred over the local variety there.

• Report this Comment On May 13, 2013, at 4:15 PM, navseawelder1 wrote:

Ford Directors did what they think was best for Ford. So when I buy a Tacoma, I will be doing what's best for me because they cut the Ranger. You cut the Ranger, I bought from overseas. OK

• Report this Comment On November 21, 2013, at 5:33 PM, BrainCitro wrote:

I had a 06 Ranger and loved it. I wanted to try something completely different. I have Nissan Leaf right now and like it alot. But i still want my Ranger back. I could see myself in one again and if ford doesnt bring it back I wont be afraid to buy a used one because i know they last.