Why Windows XP Still Matters

Although Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT  ) Windows XP may be long in the tooth, it hasn't stopped businesses from keeping it around. According to CLSA, 35%-40% of businesses are still using Windows XP, a 12-year old operating system! Motley Fool contributor Steve Heller believes that the number of businesses running Windows XP could decline by the end of the year. Check out the video below to hear his thoughts on the topic.

It's been a frustrating path for Microsoft investors, who've watched the company fail to capitalize on the incredible growth in mobile over the past decade. However, with the release of its own tablet, along with the widely anticipated Windows 8 operating system, the company is looking to make a splash in this booming market. In this brand-new premium report on Microsoft, our analyst explains that while the opportunity is huge, the challenges are many. He's also providing regular updates as key events occur, so make sure to claim a copy of this report now by clicking here.

• Report this Comment On April 23, 2013, at 8:42 AM, catcher10 wrote:

I still use XP and will do so as long as possible. In fact I bought a netbook last year with windows 7 and stripped it out and put XP on it. It is easy to use, relatively secure and I like it. I have 3 laptops and 2 desktops and all have XP.

• Report this Comment On April 23, 2013, at 9:30 AM, M0Self wrote:

XP was the last reliable OS Microsoft produced. I've has so many problems with Vista, and Win7 that I've lost track and count of them. Win8 belongs in the barnyard manure pile.

• Report this Comment On April 23, 2013, at 9:30 AM, BERTHACRACKER wrote:

Windows XP is like an old reliable car and one I use daily. Linux Ubuntu 12.1 is a free open spource operating system that also is very much like Windows XP but lacks the huge secondary software base that XP has, but still it is a good OS also.

• Report this Comment On April 23, 2013, at 9:43 AM, duudaa wrote:

I stopped using windoz back in 2003.

• Report this Comment On April 23, 2013, at 9:59 AM, freethinker2001 wrote:

I fully agree with catch10, last reliable windows stuff was XP, and the worse thing that they can do is taking it out of the market of discontinue it because they will end up entirely upsetting their customers. I have my desk pc with xp and like catch10 the first thing I did when I bought my laptop was to remove W7 and install XP. Absolutely happy with it. I only wish tablets would actually work with windows XP. Finally the cool things W7 and W8 would have are not very important if the world keeps on spinning with XP. Besides, why spending in defectful products?? They don't give you the money back! MS Guys, if you were a little smart you would release soon Windows XP for tablets, and the world will thankfully respond! Watch the market signs!!!

• Report this Comment On April 23, 2013, at 10:18 AM, spanishgrass wrote:

The PC is far from dead. Ever hear of Paltalk, justintv, younow.com, secondlife and a host of other sites that users stream from.

• Report this Comment On April 23, 2013, at 10:57 AM, portscanner wrote:

I think is bogus that they going stop windows xp

xp has been the best OS they have made..I think they want to stop XP so we can go buy some os we dont really need or want...So I need to say once they do that I will uninstall every windows I have and dont use them anymore...So i honestly i rather them keep xp going has the platform works great....MY laptop has windows vista and the other has windows 7 my pc has the xp...Microsoft dont be dum and stop xp we all want it..Thanks

• Report this Comment On April 23, 2013, at 11:23 AM, banjerpicker wrote:

The problem with making a big splash is that it's always followed by the sinking of the rock that caused it.

• Report this Comment On April 23, 2013, at 11:53 AM, RobertLB1 wrote:

I have PC's with XP, Windows 6, and 7, but I like my XP because it supports all of my software. WordPerfect business works great on it, and my my MS business works on it. Open Office works great on XP. As long as a computer will load XP and my software. Do I really need to up grade? To upgrade software, it will cost me thousand of dollars. To replace a computer that will operate XP is coming down, and there are plenty of people out there who can solve my XP problems. With that said, my next new pc will be a Mac. I am just tired of slow MS-OS.

• Report this Comment On April 23, 2013, at 12:19 PM, reddwarfone wrote:

I had Windows XP and it worked fine. When my computer finally quit on me,I got a Windows 7 PC and had all my files down loaded from a web site that all my programs backed up. My Windows 7 is working great with everything I had on my old XP computer. Microsoft has announced that Windows XP will only be supported for a limited time before the plug is pulled on it. Of course,at the last minute,Microsoft could change their mind. But I doubt it. Windows 8 is not doing well in retail sales right now. I like my Windows 7 and will use it for several years until something new that I like comes along. I prefer a PC to a smart phone and have no intention of getting a smart phone any time soon. It is all about choices.

DocumentId: 2376617, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 4/19/2014 8:56:03 PM