I'm Sorry, Apple: I Switched

I joined the dark side on Wednesday. After going through three different generations of the iPhone since 2008, I went Android.

This doesn't mean I've soured on Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL  ) as an investment. This certainly doesn't mean that my next three phones will be Android devices. I just came to the conclusion that it's in my best interest to be mobile operating system-agnostic.

AT&T (NYSE: T  ) lets me upgrade my phone every 20 months. Other carriers let folks swap out their devices between 20 and 24 months after purchase. The carrier's hefty monthly bill -- steep because AT&T is subsidizing more than $300 off the price of a smartphone on contract -- makes me a sap if I wait.

I paid the stupid tax before. I would wait until the next iPhone would roll out, forgoing months of upgrade eligibility before that. All this did was the start the clock later on my next upgrade.

Enough.

My upgrade window opened earlier this month, and I went with the smartphone that seemed to best suit my needs. Right now, that's the Samsung Galaxy S4. I'm too early in the learning curve to give it a ringing endorsement, but I don't regret my decision.

I spend more time computing on my smartphone than using it as a phone, and the larger-sized phone appealed to me. I take more snapshots than I make phone calls. Nearly everything I used to do on my iPhone I can on Android. I never invested heavily in paid apps, and the bad news for both Apple and Google (NASDAQ: GOOGL  ) in the future is that I'm likely to start now that I've embraced the "best available smartphone" approach. Get wooed too deep into an ecosystem, and you wind up paying that dumb tax where you can wait as long as 15 months between iPhone releases.

I could've waited for Apple to make a phone with a 5-inch screen. Surely Apple would match if not surpass the S4's 13-megapixel camera in its update later this year. A rumor indicates that even Samsung is about to outdo itself with a 16-megapixel camera an an optical zoom lens in an upcoming S4 model. It certainly would've been easier to keep my few App Store purchases going instead of buying them again through Google Play.

I choose not to wait. If Apple's iPhone that rolls out in early 2015 is the best device on the market, that's where I'll go.

I don't think I would've strayed from the iOS and Android universe that commands the lion's share of the smartphone and tablet markets. Nokia (NYSE: NOK  ) has some pretty slick cameras in its Lumia phones, but I don't have faith in the long-term survival of Windows Phone as a mobile platform. I was initially impressed with some of the BlackBerry 10 features, but I have even more doubts about the long-term viability of BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY  ) . The developer support isn't there.

I have no problem giving up iTunes, but I use Spotify -- paired up to my car via Bluetooth -- for most of my musical consumption. There seems to be no indication that Spotify will offer a BlackBerry 10 app.

What does this all mean for investors? Well, I know I'm not the only one embracing agnosticism when it comes to mobile operating systems. AT&T and its wireless carrier peers charge too much to not play the field, and the learning curves get easier, one would imagine, as you hop from platform to platform.

I'm sorry we're breaking up, Apple, but it's not you. Let's blame this on a twisted wireless carrier system that encourages smartphone owners to play the field.

There will be blood
It's incredible to think just how much of our digital and technological lives are almost entirely shaped and molded by just a handful of companies. Find out "Who Will Win the War Between the 5 Biggest Tech Stocks" in The Motley Fool's latest free report, which details the knock-down, drag-out battle being waged among the five kings of tech. Click here to keep reading.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 2:44 PM, yahoouser4529 wrote:

instead of buying a new cell phone from the carrier just buy an unlocked cell phone from elsewhere. It is cheaper and there are no contacts. Sure the unlocked may cost more than carrier offering it with contract but your monthly bill will not increase. I have T Mobile and I was a fool before that I used to get a phone upgrade from them every 2 years. I don't do that anymore. since at&t also uses sim card you can just get an unlock device from anywhere.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 3:17 PM, k1moops wrote:

when you break up with a woman, do you break up because of a matter of differences, or do you break up because you want a 'better' woman? Few people want to be domineered by a friend, however compulsive he or she is. But breaking up because you simply want a new woman is not the way to be if you want to grow a relationship. Samsung GS4 is pretty and loaded with features, the prettiest and most loaded there is now, but let me tell you this, the iPhone is the steadiest, fastest, bug free, most versatile with 850,000 apps most of which are not fart apps but top quality apps in what they do. People put up with every other brand in quirks and deficiencies, but they do not put up even with the tiniest quirk when it comes to Apple, I am not kidding. Apple is the golden statute that everyone piss and spit upon.

You need to control your urges and control your binge in buying. iPhone is the gold standard just like your spouse whom you married. If you are divorced then your new spouse is the golden standard and you should refrain from jumping like a Mexican Bean looking for thrills.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 3:34 PM, k1moops wrote:

I am a have-been in cellphones/smartphones having owned nearly every make from Apple to ZTE since 1987 including Samsung. I am using iPhone, iPad, and MacBook for many very real and solid benefits expected from none but a handful of world class brands - Trust, Value, Longevity, Modern, Cool. The trust I placed in Apple is repaid 10 fold far surpassing even the Maytag machines in reliability and dependability. Apple saves me so much valuable time and hassles as I use iCloud to sync all my data, content, entertainment, photos and programs. Siri is absolutely astounding with absolutely no competition. I know I would grow old and gray with Apple because Apple simply grows better and dearer with me as time goes by, wherever and whoever I buy my Apple from.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 3:44 PM, HelpIsHere wrote:

You seem as though you are still into toys. Many of us need the best phone for messaging and blazing speed on the Net. I had to switch from Apple as they are so old and outdated. I tried Android and the OS is terrible compared to BlackBerry. BlackBerry has re-written the books on what a phone should do. Taking pictures and surfing slowly are something that teenagers like to do. I don't have time to miss emails and wait on my phone. That and I have all the apps in the world on my Android tablet, why would I choose the worst phone over the best? BlackBerry is killing Apple now and Android is for kids.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 3:45 PM, jswap1 wrote:

People who must have the latest phone are funny to listen to.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 4:04 PM, desertracer1 wrote:

Us Apple users did not need a fool in our midst. All my friends and kids and grandkids have Iphones and love them. Androids are just what they sound like...little robots running around trying to be like the real folks.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 4:09 PM, applefan1 wrote:

Individuals switching isn't a big deal. I know of several Android users that switched to an iPhone within the last few months. And?

I think that Android phones are meant for for little kids, or adults with the maturity of a little kid, since they like shiney things, even if it's not practical.

I'm sure he'll switch back. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 4:25 PM, larryw101 wrote:

Another worthless article from Motley Fool.

This site is becoming 100% useless. I have never read so many blitzed articles on here by authors who change their minds from day to day. Austin Smith, a Motley Fool writer is the worst. He's written 6 articles on Apple in the past week and nothing is consistent in his sentiments. And this guy here Munarriz writes about a new phone he trying out. What does that have to do with investing strategies? Useless information.

Motley use to be a good source of information but not anymore. Now it appears it is all about pumping out articles and advertising.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 4:26 PM, Mega wrote:

"The carrier's hefty monthly bill -- steep because AT&T is subsidizing more than $300 off the price of a smartphone on contract -- makes me a sap if I wait."

I'd say it makes you a sap if you stick with AT&T.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 4:32 PM, echodan wrote:

applefan, I have no problem with Apple products. But you may be surprised to know that, according to the WSJ, the world market for phones is 70% android, 22% IOS. So, I guess that means, according to you, 70% of all users world-wide are children. So, like so many Iphone elitists, you may have a few surprises coming from the competition soon.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 4:37 PM, CluckChicken wrote:

It is interesting to read these comments. 2 yrs ago when the iPhone was the most advanced phone all Apple people would say is how advanced it is and how nothing else could compare. Now that Samsung and arguably others have far more advanced phones the Apple crowd is like but the iPhone is the classic and has these apps (the best apps are across platforms and any of the others have something similar).

I must say anybody that compares a phone to a relationship needs to rethink how they think of phones. Anybody that thinks the majority of 850,000 apps are high quality or useful really needs to take a look at what is out there.

And the majority of you missed the point of this writing. The point of this was that there are plenty of free apps that will handle the overwhelming majority of things people want to use a phone for so switching is very easy. It was also a warning to Apple in that they need to make sure that their next iPhone has the physical features people want.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 4:40 PM, rsr1953 wrote:

I have used an android for the last few years. I just switched to Apple. Soooo sorry I did. There were thousands of free apps with Android and a few with Apple. I have paid for a dozen apps this week alone. Grrrr.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 5:08 PM, mikerosenstark wrote:

Just focusing on "raw number of megapixels" is a silly way to compare cameras. Unless you're printing 30"x 20" posters all the time, 12+megapixel photos are kind of a meaningless extravagance that just makes your upload times to sharing sites that much longer. It is easy to compare cameras by just counting the megapixels--but it hardly tells us anything about the *quality* of the pics you'll take.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 5:12 PM, butthead2u wrote:

That's too bad, you should have saved yourself some trouble and come home to Windows. You're all going to come back, it's just a matter of time, just like the last time when Apple was ahead with Macintosh. Come on, you know you have Windows Phone envy, they look so much better than those silly old fashioned phones you now have!

Why do keep letting your ego get in the way anyway? Is it cause you're a follow, an iSheep following the herd, try to be with the "in" people?

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 5:14 PM, VegasSmitty367 wrote:

After many generations of iPhones I went over to the dark side, Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 5:24 PM, Collectomaniac wrote:

It's a Phone...NO...it's a tablet!! By golly...it's a PHABLET!!!!!!

I love my Note...have the original...just got the Jelly bean update today....just converted another soul in the household today...and guess what! A Free NOTE from ATT...and I added a refurbed Galaxy Tab 8.9 for $99.00.

OOH OOH OOH...can't touch that<G> Samsung Rocks!

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 5:24 PM, lbcjay530 wrote:

I've had an iphone for my past 3 phones. The 3, the 4, and the 4s. My renewal came up this month and last week I traded in my 4s (which I've had for about two years) for a Galaxy s4. It was so hard to do. I was planning on waiting for the next iphone because the current one out (the 5) doesn't really appeal to me. It seems like they just made the 4s longer and that's it. So I made the change to the Galaxy S4 and have to tell you after about a week and some serious time to get it set up how I want it - it's a waaaay better phone than any of my previous iphones. I'm sorry apple fans (I used to be one for the past 6 years) but apple has fallen far behind in their ability to innovate and put out a "must have" mobility device. The galaxy s4 is pretty awesome.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 5:35 PM, fuzzynormal wrote:

I'm ready to bail right now because iTunes suuuuuuucccckks.

Being tethered to that POS software is reason enough to kick the whole thing to the curb.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 5:37 PM, Sweetloulv wrote:

HTC One best phone out.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 5:41 PM, k1moops wrote:

There are reports out there saying how a person is more liable to divorce than to let go of their smartphone in use.

Now, is that not a relationship between the person and his or her smartphone or what? Add Siri to the relationship and we have quite a situation here.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 5:42 PM, ViewRoyal wrote:

Rick, you don't need to apologize to Apple. I'm sure that Apple has never even heard of you. ;-)

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 5:43 PM, k1moops wrote:

iPhone is the gold standard. If iPhone sucks in your opinion, then I suggest you do not even bother getting a smartphone.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 6:05 PM, ALLPAPERNOTECH wrote:

I was in Luv with Mac since it's inception then alas she became too materialistic & sold her soul to the devil. Now I stick with Android & get all the gadgets my ex offered & more. But Apple is still my 1st love but her snobby attitude turned me off, after all a phone is a phone is a phone....unless one is a total narcissist.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 6:15 PM, lkmd98 wrote:

I switched too! It was great for about a week...fortunately I was able to take it back and get

a real phone, iphone5. Uh, feels great again.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 6:31 PM, Fladiver wrote:

K1moops = ultimate fanboy

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 6:31 PM, starrbuck1000 wrote:

One of the Best new Android tablets so far this year is the Icoo 7GS - 3G -- available through a site called TabletSprint -- this new 7 Inch Android tablet compares to the current $300 Nexus 7 3G edition, with most of the same features, but sells for about $200 -- and features a Quad Core processor, WiFi, an HD 1280X800 IPS screen, GPS/Bluetooth and 3G HSPA+ with internet and phone call connection through any GSM carrier, including AT&T and T-Mobile -- TabletSprint also offers a promotion that includes the 3D game Shadowgun, and an Office Suite with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and also offers a few other well priced tablets with the latest features that launch in late May and early June --

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 6:42 PM, lsoffel wrote:

Did the exact same, was an iphone user since 2008 and just switched to Galaxy this week and happy I did. It's a much better phone and u dont realize how tiny an Apple screen is until u use the Galaxy for a while. I will say I still think itunes is better than Google play plus the autocorrect on the iphones makes texting easier than on the Galaxy but I've only had the phone 2 days so maybe there is an app I can download to make texting easier but overall VERY happy I switched. Also U dont lose any songs, contacts etc, they make it so easy to transfer all ur data not sure why Samsung doesn't advertise this. That was main reason I didn't want to switch.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 6:58 PM, Letsthinkaboutit wrote:

Lets think about this echodan and everyone else that uses the statics of market share. Android is free software therefore any maker and any carrier can use it. It can be put on any shitty phone out there. If you would rather use garbage software that is hack and full of bugs go for it, or just use something that not broken(iOS). I get sick of the people saying you can't customize it or or the iPhone is too expensive. It cost no more than half the garbage that moto,lg Samsung,pantech and htc puts out. As far as the big screens and the NFC or quad core processors go why? Are you programming and editing movies on your phone? Fing idiots is all I can say

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 7:11 PM, Staggered wrote:

LOL, it's very funny to read about how I phones are cutting edge, and the best. It's been quite a few years since they have been the best. So in essence it is a breed of created consumer ideals that bind you to the world "best". They sold you the farm and told you it was the best thing you could do. And you are sticking with it because you have put an investment into it. When in reality I have yet to see many real world users of Iphone products actually happy with their phone for legitimate reasons. Longevity in smartphones is like Having Longevity with a computer. Though it may last, the first 3 months you own it their is something better on the market. And all things that come with it are updated. Or a better way to put it, a Computer that can run windows 98 with the Windows 98 Operating system has proven it's longevity. Sadly it also means it is severely outdated and pretty useless. I can do a few things like any computer but can never really be compared to the machines that are currently available.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 7:21 PM, daslive wrote:

naaaa post sponsored by Samsung

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 7:48 PM, Oril wrote:

This article says it all about what kind of a sap the writer is.

He likes apple as an investment but he wouldn't put his own money in it. He likes Blackberry but won't buy the phone because he is not sure it will be around long enough. Lol.

He whines about the high cost of his carrier and then locks himself into another two year contract because he doesn't use the phone much but likes the large screen. Lol, lol. Why not just strap a laptop to your stomach?

And then he goes on to give advice of sorts to investors but admits that he doesn't have an interest in any of the stocks mentioned. He then adds the standard blurb at the end trashing Canadian stocks in general. When someone is that concerned about the cost of his cellphone contract it is understandable that he doesn't have any money to invest. He should think twice about Giving advice of any kind.

I hope the penny or so that you get from my clicks help you out with your "phone" contract.

You are welcome.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 8:35 PM, criticalfool wrote:

You got android, now I can hack you.... hehehehe. I have a Z10, try hacking me... no way.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 8:40 PM, criticalfool wrote:

I just hacked you Rick, your bank accounts show you have a total of $376. Hope you make good money, say around $50 for this article so you can pay for your silly phone.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 8:41 PM, criticalfool wrote:

heheheheheheheheheheehehe, just kiddding

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 8:42 PM, criticalfool wrote:

just kidding Rick, but you sound so desperate. BBRY is about more than stupid apps and US is not the entire world.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 8:59 PM, eidsonb wrote:

Love my new Z10...best and most innovative phone out there and the whole Apps argument is lame...what do you want that you cant get from BB or Ported???

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 9:23 PM, doorsx11x wrote:

I switched to the unlocked Nexus 4 earlier this year after having Iphone for years and I'm glad that I did so. Dumped the traditional carriers and went to Straight Talk with an AT&T sim card so I have the exact same service as with iPhone but at $90 a month cheaper. Overall I'm totally happy with both moves.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 9:45 PM, k1moops wrote:

iPhone and iPad with their growing collection of C and HTML based apps are the leaders of the pack, Android based smartphones with their growing collection of Java and HTML based apps are a strong competitor. iPhone and Android developers are the key drivers of the new technology generation. In today's tough economic climate, perhaps some developers would try their hands at becoming an Android developer and make some money using Java and Netbeans or Eclipse, but for the professional and marquee developers who are taking serious switch to mobile devices they have no choice, they have to develop on the robust Xcode platform which provide industrial strength development toolset and support. The much diversified Android is not a professional choice, other platforms like Windows Phone and Blackberry are far too weak and incomplete unable to compare with Apple and even Android. Whenever Apple delivers a new offering it is a logical branch of the Apple Foundation that grows the Apple Family of products and services, this is very important going forward similar to the use of your family name and history. Android does not grow as each Android fork goes its own way, Windows Phone 8 is disjoint with Windows Phone 7.5. BB10 is brand new totally disjoint with anything previously Rim / BB7 or older. Developers love Apple Xcode, developers continue to grow the Apple Family and some Android and some Windows Phone, but developers would quite possibly not develop for Blackberry BB10, and Blackberry will not make Android phones. This is the reason I stay with Apple. Mobile is the future closely tied to the laptop past. Apple has the stranglehold on the laptop, iPhone pioneered the touchscreen mobile apps and devices. With iOS as the pioneer and torch bearer in touchscreen computing, and Siri being the pioneer and torch bearer in highly intelligent non-touchscreen assistant, my best choice is to stay with the Apple Family using iPhone and iPad, with iPad quickly replacing iPhone as the key member of the Apple Family.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 10:05 PM, AdamChew wrote:

Who cares?

Anyway a big screen is great for the older folks with poor eyesight and fat fingers.

Great that you are admitting your age.

• Report this Comment On May 11, 2013, at 11:35 PM, theslater wrote:

seriously, why do people still buy iphones, dumb ignorants, its becoming sad now that people buy outdated and overpriced phones

• Report this Comment On May 12, 2013, at 12:00 AM, tychicum wrote:

So if you are smart phone agnostic .. you are unsure if smart phones exist?

You will listen to arguments from either side but need to hear an argument that there actually is something which could be described as a smart phone before you believe?

Get a dictionary.

• Report this Comment On May 12, 2013, at 12:01 AM, deevs wrote:

i have been a fan of samsung devices for a long time. in fact, most of the phones i have owned in my life have been samsung devices. i've owned samsung devices like the samsung blackjack back in the windows mobile days to the samsung fascinate (the original galaxy s on verizon) and i currently own the samsung galaxy s3 on verizon. even though i am a fan of samsung phones, i have always criticized samsung and their (excessive) use of plastic in their phones. that is one thing i truly hate about my s3. everything else about the device is amazing. the battery life is amazing, lasts all day without a hesitation. the camera takes great photos. the screen is GORGEOUS. now then the s4 came out, i can say that i was truly disappointed about the phone. especially the build quality. i know that you're on att and if you still under your 14 day return period, i highly recommend you try out the HTC One. that phone is absolutely stunning. the best build quality on this side of a iphone. it has a truly innovative camera that takes great photos, especially in low light. the 1080p display on it the best in the industry, bar none. i promise you that you wont be disappointed. if you want to make a switch the android, i recommend you use the best android has to offer

• Report this Comment On May 12, 2013, at 5:15 AM, Sw1tcharoo wrote:

Why the need to be apologetic?!? Just kick the *ugly* habit, and move on.

Let them mint their own millionaires-cum-copycats on some other ignoramus' dime--I'm no longer part of it for this arrogant fruity company.

• Report this Comment On May 12, 2013, at 6:37 AM, disankey wrote:

I don't get all this hype and I sure don't get why people get caught up in this concept that they just have to have to newest gadget. I have always had an android. When my kids became old enough to buy their own they switched to iphones. The phones are similar and let's admit it, a phone is a phone. Keeping a phone to function as a pc and hold all my personal data has never been my goal and I find it one of the worse practices out there. With my android I can switch out my phone every year if I want to but, I think that is silly. I never have issues with the device or my carrier. One huge thing I have noticed is my kids seem to constantly have to upgrade and there's been so many new versions, they have had major issues with dropped calls and a few other functions over the years whereas my android remains steady and reliable.

• Report this Comment On May 12, 2013, at 9:27 AM, Bart36 wrote:

To state that you fear for the "long term viability" of BlackBerry" and that "the developer support isn't there" are hypothetical statements designed to undermine the company and it's products. The evidence is that millions of BlackBerry Z10 & Q10's are being sold around the world. In some areas half the buyers have switched from Android & iOS systems to BlackBerry. They have great confidence in and are enjoying the superior products that BlackBerry have rolled out this year.

• Report this Comment On May 12, 2013, at 1:16 PM, k1moops wrote:

I have a strong feeling Blackberry will get out of the smartphone business, and downsize into NOC operations only for niche companies that only deal with character messages for a low monthly fee, an alternate network.

• Report this Comment On May 12, 2013, at 1:24 PM, Sabrfan30 wrote:

I have never owned an I-phone. I have always been a Motorola person when it comes to cell phones. I never have had problems with reception & they all held up very good. Loved the Razr phones. When the smartphones started coming out I bought the Motorola Droid X. After that; Samsung came out with the Galaxy S3. I read up on it, along with many other cell phones. Even the I-phone. I ended up purchasing the Galaxy. I absolutely love it. Nothing wrong with it. My service provider is Verizon. Well; when the I-phone 5 came out, my best friend bought it. He was like I had been. Never owned an I-phone.

He called after he had used it for a couple of months & he truly loved it. I started reading up on it. I knew my contract end date wasn't until May of next year. By then I knew another I-phone would be out. But after really reading & studying everything there was to know about the I-phone 5; I had some extra pop money (blow money) in my savings, so I took the plunge & ordered the I-phone 5 from the Apple store.

I still have have my Samsung & I have no plans on getting rid of it. From what I have read & after listening to others talk; the Galaxy 3 is still better than the 4. As for the I-phone. I absolutely love it. I'm having so much fun on it. And LTE with Verizon is blazing fast when I'm away from WI-FI. So I can relate to this person switching. It's all about which cell phone you like best & mainly which one suits your needs the best.

• Report this Comment On May 12, 2013, at 3:55 PM, Gaeseki wrote:

No kidding! The iPhone feels like a little toy Mp3 player in my hand now after getting so used to using the Galaxy Note2 everyday.

Overall Galaxy Smartphone puts iPhone look like a half-assed products.

• Report this Comment On May 12, 2013, at 3:56 PM, Gaeseki wrote:

"NEWS: Pentagon Approves Samsung Devices for Military Use-- 5/032013.

Samsung Galaxy S4, other Knox devices approved for U.S. Dept. of Defense

networks---5/02/2013

"The DoD security requirement guidelines for mobile operation systems are one of the

highest security standards in the world and this marks the First Time for Android-Powered GalaxyS4 device to meet such high security requirements."

"While the military didn’t specifically mention Apple Inc.

AAPL)’s products in the statement, it said several mobile devices and operating systems are going through the military’s security review and approval process."

• Report this Comment On May 12, 2013, at 4:04 PM, Gaeseki wrote:

I see lot of brainwashed iSheep cult are foul crying here as well~~most of these idiots are still holding their APPLE Stocks,

No matter what~these iTards will always in denial !!

• Report this Comment On May 12, 2013, at 4:28 PM, demodave wrote:

It sounds like your problem is not with the iPhone, but rather with the carrier subsidy model (whose bogus charges I also don't like). It's a weak basis for a claim against the iPhone, but saying that you switched phones because of cell phone contract timing doesn't make a very eye-catching title, does it?

• Report this Comment On May 12, 2013, at 10:39 PM, Chippy55 wrote:

Folks, go google the article about the 10 things the Z10 has that iPhones do not have. As for these people who claim 700,000 apps make Apple a great buy, thats 1,900 per day you could download for 365 days, what's the purpose? I'm convinced that the majority of Fools are stuck with Apple shares that they bought all because if one analyst who said it was headed to $1,111 and rumors of Apple TV and gosh, even a an Apple wrist watch that might tell time. Last I heard Blackberry had DoD clearance and 470,000 users there and is coming out with Q10 in the U.S. later this month with the R10 set to debut later on, and 3 more devices this year. Apple won't be coming out with essentially an upgrade until the fall or the first Q next year. And AAPL stock is only shorted by 2%, vs over 33% for BBRY, which means AAPL can never have a short squeeze and the stock will gradually erode. There's no prospects for growth so it's a dividend play, but you can make better than 2% elsewhere with less risk.

• Report this Comment On May 13, 2013, at 8:52 AM, cbglobal wrote:

No developer support for Blackberry? Since almost all well written Android apps can be quickly tweaked to run on BB10; Blackberry may end up having the largest possible App list; when you add all the Android apps to ones written for just the Blackberry.

You really think developers are going to pass up all that revenue by not spending the extra two seconds it will take to tweak their apps for BB10?

• Report this Comment On May 13, 2013, at 11:52 AM, Jim98122x wrote:

Another article that illustrates why getting investment advice from Motley Fool is about as useful as getting it from Nikelodeon.

• Report this Comment On May 13, 2013, at 2:32 PM, BlackberryIsKing wrote:

@InfoThatNeedsHelp: I guess you are too stupid to realize that NONE of your comments are being posted. Hahahahaha.

Blackberry is king. The iPhone is becoming the joke phone and the Z10 and Q10 are now the phones everyone wants. Blackberry rules supreme. Apple is dead. Long BBRY!!

• Report this Comment On May 13, 2013, at 2:34 PM, BlackberryIsKing wrote:

The iPhone is a piece of crap. Gold standard? Only if it is fools gold. lol. The new standard are the BB10 phones. They run circles around both the iPhone and the S4. Both can't keep up. Blackberry is the future. Apple is history.

• Report this Comment On May 13, 2013, at 6:39 PM, bchgrl128 wrote:

The iPhone 5 is my third AT&T phone, and I love Siri (and my ipad), especially overseas. It works gr8 in metro areas, but I now travel extensively around the US in an RV and the only the Verizon folks have coverage at many places I stay. Soo, I'll go to Verizon & an android when my contract is over.

• Report this Comment On May 13, 2013, at 7:43 PM, tleach10 wrote:

I subscribe to the Motley Fool for investment advice not so so idiot can talk about his use of phones.

• Report this Comment On May 16, 2013, at 8:45 PM, hportofino19 wrote:

and to think this guy Rick endorsed Apple to the end of the world during the "good days" and now cough's up this switch to Android article of hilarious....whatever dude.

• Report this Comment On May 17, 2013, at 7:09 AM, NickD wrote:

I have no idea what kids will buy in 10 years I have no desire to invest in this stuff.

• Report this Comment On May 17, 2013, at 12:45 PM, mrTpitiesMe wrote:

iTards, hee hee. Gaeseki said iTards. That's a good word.

• Report this Comment On May 17, 2013, at 1:28 PM, Orthonormal wrote:

That is not logical. You are paying for the cellular plan no matter what. What the carrier does with that money does not affect the cost/benefit analysis of purchasing a new phone. The only things that matter are the price of the new phone, the amount and frequency of the discounts you get on the phone, and how much benefit you get from the new phone.

Basically you are saying that if you don't buy a new phone every time the carrier offers you a significant discount, then you're a sucker. What do you do when the PennySaver arrives each week? At the end of the year, do you visit the hospital and get surgical procedures done so you can burn through the remainder of your deductible and make sure that you're not paying less in premiums than you're getting back from the insurance company? Because if you paid all those premiums and didn't make the insurer spend at least that much on you, what a chump you would be!

But you know, in America it's not how much you spend, it's how much you SAVE.

See also: good money after bad, and the concept of marginal utility vs. marginal cost.

• Report this Comment On May 17, 2013, at 1:36 PM, aqua97 wrote:

Gosh .. so few comments on the really important "investing" articles, and so many on a useless "about me and my phone" post :D omg..

actually as more as I browse the site, i start to realize that it's less about investing and more about "free talk" .. kinda like a forum or blog.. so many different blogposts, each one of writers with different points of view, that sometimes even contradict each other...

i think there should be a strict separated area for 'talk' and for professional 'research and investment ideas/strategies/conclusions'

• Report this Comment On May 17, 2013, at 3:32 PM, AmcnFndrs wrote:

I had the opportunity to try a droid thru my company and after using the clunky, clutterd box of a phone for a year, I switch back to the elegant, sleek, and seamless iphone that is a delight to use - I'm back Apple...I'm back!

• Report this Comment On May 17, 2013, at 3:37 PM, johnp725 wrote:

I have been reasonably happy with my iPhone, EXCEPT that it doesn't display FLASH. Why ? It seems to be some egotistic reluctance to embrace other software that Apple didn't invent.

Well, it is either Goodbye Flash, or Goodbye Apple.

Flash seems to continue to be used by the vast majority of independents.

So, HTC or Samsung ?

• Report this Comment On May 19, 2013, at 12:21 AM, HurricaneJohnson wrote:

I've had a dozen phones since 1993.

The last pre-SmartPhone was the Motorola Razor - which had absolutely stunning phone audio.

I then got a Motorola Que which ran Windows Mobile. It was fine. I don't miss it.

I then bought the HTC Incredible with Andriod. Nice phone. OS was stable after the first upgrade. 3G.

I bought the iPhone 5 in November to get to 4G, and I'm very happy with the purchase.

I'm a tech-guy, but not a gadget guy. The iPhone seems to have covered everything when they designed this phone - it is very solid, the audio is good, the screen is nice and bright, the battery lasts and lasts, the apps seem to be mature - but I don't those silly goofy apps. The camera is also good and beats my Sony Sureshot.

Me and my iPhone - we're (literally) joined at the hip.

• Report this Comment On May 19, 2013, at 12:38 PM, Nellysmart wrote:

If you pay upfront for your phone, Droid or Apple, and have a "No contract" plan, it is much cheaper in the long run and you can switch when a better deal comes along such as the new T-Mobile plan. I had AT&T and Verizon and got the shaft from both over lost phone being replaced by junk after you pay for insurance, extra unforeseen charges and the like. That $99 phone costs $4000 when you sign a 2 year contract. You have 15 days to cancel the contract after purchase but don't see all of the extra fluff charges that are added on to the bill for 30 days. I have Virgin Mobile and It is $50 month, no contract = No brainer

• Report this Comment On May 20, 2013, at 11:56 AM, JesseCoats wrote:

Its rather sad how we think that phones and other technology are so important. A device with a touch screen would be completely unthinkable about a century ago. People somehow managed without them and interacted a lot more socially.

One reason so many people are always clamoring for the latest and best technology is because they are really only interested in the thrill of owning the newest thing for a little bit, showing it off, and using as barely more than an entertainment device.

People who buy their phones and tablets and pc's for working purposes don't seem to have this techno-phobia. They don't have to keep up with the Jones's spending lots of money to do so, and whats more they almost appear to be content.

Be happy with what you have, desiring more won't help. Focus on others instead and the selfishness runs.

Sincerely written,

Jesse Coats

• Report this Comment On May 21, 2013, at 8:04 PM, mountain8 wrote:

Aw shucks, guys. I've had the same "land line" phone for 12 years now. It cost $59 total. I pay about $40 a month for unlimited calls. When I use it, I don't kill people in car wrecks. I don't embarrass everyone by yelling at my kids over the phone at the grocery store. My boss can only find me during working hours and most of the time less than that. The government can't track me with GPS. Anything I want to do on the internet can wait until I get home. I don't need a fart app.

Granted, I'm a bit out dated but I get everything I need without buying a new $500 phone every 6 mo. Progress has a price I'm unwilling pay.

If you want a look at the future of all this technology, Watch the five part British series called, "the Last Enemy." 1984's just late. Oh, you can find it on Netflix.

And yes, before you mention it, I'm paranoid a bit. But being practical, I also own a bunch of Apple shares I bought at a laughingly low price.

• Report this Comment On May 25, 2013, at 7:42 AM, FoolSolo wrote:

The author has a very narrow list of needs from a smart phone. Ironically, the one most important feature of a smart phone that everyone needs, but was not listed by the author, is batter life. I have an iPad-4 and Google Nexus-7. The iPad can literally run for weeks on a charge, whereas the Nexus dies in a couple of days, even if I don't turn it on. Similarly, my iPhone 4S will run an entire day, sometimes even 2 days on a single charge, whereas my coworker's Samsung GS3 will die in half a day if he doesn't plug in.

There is also a difference in load times and speed within the apps, but that pales in the face of the fact that apps on iOS are far superior to apps on Android - take the Bloomberg app for example and compare the two, like day and night difference. To almost every app I have, the iOS experience is far more feature rich than the Android. This may not be Android's fault, but every developer who codes for Android wants to reach the broadest set of consumers, so they code to the lowest common set of capabilities, instead of coding specifically for the GS4 or whatever the best Android phone is.

But the author is reaching for the freedom to choose, which is where I believe he has simply missed the mark. Choosing a smart-phone is more than freedom to switch, it is much more about an ecosystem that suits your lifestyle. The apps are the extension of this choice, then there is the portability and interactivity across your other electronic needs, such as file exchanges across multiple devices, connectivity and interactivity with your home phone, your TV, your home network, etc. And finally, what about your business needs? Do you have business apps on your phone? Are they built for iPhone or Android? If your company has requisite business software, maybe software they developed themselves, then think about whether that will work on either platform.

• Report this Comment On May 30, 2013, at 8:25 PM, MatiasR wrote:

Come on, I know you can write much better content than this. A short anecdote about how you switched from an iPhone to an Android doesn't cut it. This undermines the other content in TMF and gives readers material to criticize. I suppose this kind of article belongs to a personal blog, not an investment site.