Bill Gates Is Only Partially Right About the iPad

Uh-oh, Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL  ) . Bill Gates says iPad users are "frustrated" because they don't have access to Microsoft's Office suite of productivity software.

Gates is right only in that users don't have access to Office. Otherwise, there seems to be little interest in using the iPad as a laptop replacement. Instead, it's become a preferred device for playing games and watching video, says Tim Beyers of Motley Fool Rule Breakers and Motley Fool Supernova in the following video. Gates is concocting problems where none exist.

And it's not like those who want to use the iPad as a business device aren't without options. Many Google (NASDAQ: GOOGL  ) apps function quite well on the iPad, Tim says, pointing to his own frequent use of Google Drive for creating and editing documents. Meanwhile, sales of Microsoft's (NASDAQ: MSFT  ) own Surface tablets have been mixed.

Do you agree? Please watch the video to get Tim's full take, and then let us know whether you believe Bill Gates is right about the iPad.

The next big iThing
Apple has a history of cranking out revolutionary products... and then creatively destroying them with something better. Read about the future of Apple in the free report, "Apple Will Destroy Its Greatest Product." Can Apple really disrupt its own iPhones and iPads? Find out by clicking here.

• Report this Comment On May 15, 2013, at 6:22 PM, Phil9906 wrote:

On this one for certain sections of users Bill Gates is right. I would like office for trip reports and spreadsheets and power points. Email and web news etc the iPad is great. I use my ipad everyday several times a day. However, sometimes for work travel I also carry my computer. I would like the office Microsoft products for my iPad.

• Report this Comment On May 15, 2013, at 7:28 PM, PaulApp wrote:

iPad is only good for students, children, and women! Yeah, wow men are in that group as well.

• Report this Comment On May 15, 2013, at 7:42 PM, Jae00187 wrote:

Tim,

I beleive Bill Gates was talking more in a gneralization of the ipad product. Sure you can find useful things to do with any device, but it is not like your going to issue an ipad for a call center user. It is a usefull device in some professions, but it will not replace a desktop.

• Report this Comment On May 15, 2013, at 8:17 PM, Mdc12a8 wrote:

The kicker is this: they have not promoted or even made fashionable the keyboard attachment. If they created a "pop culture-tech" campaign on this making it fun and fashionable where you could take it anywhere you go......then you have a mini computer that is easy to travel with and prop up as well making it close to an equal to the laptop or desktop in Bill Gates comment. As of now you can utilize many MS Office features on the iPad. I do not know what the patent issues are, but it is quite mystifying why apple has not created something close to MS Office. It's probably an MS gets this Apple gets this issue.

• Report this Comment On May 15, 2013, at 8:21 PM, r8iotom wrote:

I think BG is completely off the mark here. I use my ipad for work and am able to complete a whole host of tasks / projects on it with zero handicap. I too use google apps as well as iWork. In addition I use the MS skydrive app to work on things too.

Furthermore...I am seeing more and more iPads in businesses as well. Restaurants are using them as menus, seating software etc. Many stores are using them too. Burberry and Nordstrom use both iPads and iPhones for sales transactions as well.

BG is just hiding his head under the covers. His company is about as far from revolutionary as the earth is from the sun.

• Report this Comment On May 15, 2013, at 9:36 PM, higashione wrote:

i am not a fanatic about any brand and am still searching for just right small tablet that i can plug in my magic jack for phone calls...my daughter is happy with her ipad mini to play games and watch you tube but i am not happy to use one because i am not able to plug in with usb cord or view the hard drive to copy and past any files

DocumentId: 2433412, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 4/20/2014 7:52:35 PM