What to Expect From Microsoft's Next Windows Release

Microsoft  (NASDAQ: MSFT  ) launched Windows 8 last October with radical ambitions in mind. The Start menu was gone, and in its place was a tile-based interface that was a dramatic departure from what Windows users had grown accustomed to over the past 17 years, dating to the introduction of Windows 95.

Anytime you overhaul the user interface of something as long-lived and pervasive as Windows, there will be loud user complaints. Some level of users will always be resistant to change.

However, the steep learning curve on Windows 8 has made it a difficult transition, especially for larger companies whose users are accustomed to older versions of Windows. With the company looking to release a major update named Windows 8.1 that should be released later this year, let's take a look back at Windows 8 to date and what should be expected from Microsoft's major overhaul of the operating system.

Why go tile?
Microsoft's reasoning for the dramatic changes to Windows was simple: Past versions of Windows didn't translate well to the touch-based devices such as tablets that are exploding in popularity. By creating a tile-based interface, the company could make Windows relevant for both PCs and tablets, rather than create a separate version for tablets.

The Windows 8 tile interface. Not your father's Windows.

To date, results have been middling. At the start of May, Microsoft announced that it had sold more than 100 million Windows 8 licenses, but little traction has been gained in tablets. More painfully, the slide in consumer interest around PCs continues. In the first quarter, PC shipments declined more than 11% according to industry tracker Gartner.

Microsoft admits mistakes, but sticks to its guns
While Microsoft isn't ready to throw in the towel on its vision for the future of Windows, it is admitting to some bumpiness in Windows 8's launch. On a blog post from earlier this month, Tami Reller, who serves as both CFO and CMO for the Windows division, acknowledged that  Windows 8 is a "big, ambitious change." She further noted that "change takes time."

Further admission that Windows 8 might have pushed users too far out of their boundaries comes from its upcoming Windows 8.1 update, due out later this year. Up until recent weeks, Microsoft had dribbled out hints on the update but now appears ready to talk. Most of the talk centers on the return of a familiar Microsoft icon: the Start button.

Bring back the Start button! Kind of.
As CNET notes, Microsoft's Windows 8.1 update will come with a "Start Tip," which sits in the lower left corner and allows users to return to a Start screen. This won't return you to the Start menu you're familiar with, but the Start screen will be customizable in a way that allows users to create a listing of applications that's similar to the Start menus of past Windows versions.

Windows 8.1. More personalization; enough change?

For the most ardent critics of change in Windows 8, the 8.1 update is delivering something long-clamored for: an option to boot directly to the desktop. The fact that current versions of Windows 8 forced users to boot up in the tile-based interface has been the subject of much of the Windows 8 controversy.

More Microsoft products
Beyond the design compromises that allow users to go back to a more "traditional" experience, the other big change in Windows 8.1 appears to be more integration with Microsoft products. We've come a long way since Microsoft was almost split up for bundling Internet Explorer in Windows. The changes come not only in Microsoft's dominance of computing, but also in the acceptance of bundling software with an operating system.

Back in the late '90s Microsoft controlled upward of 90% of computing devices, which at the time were largely just PCs. However, across the past five years, the explosion of smartphones and tablets means Microsoft controls less than 25% of "connected devices" today, thanks to Apple's (NASDAQ: AAPL  ) and Google's (NASDAQ: GOOGL  ) dominance of that mobile growth.

Also, in the highly competitive mobile world, bundling services is no longer perceived as the anti-competitive threat it once was, but more something that enhances the user experience. Today, on iOS and Android, most default services such as Maps and media services such as iTunes or Google Play come bundled with the operating system. Microsoft is using this changing landscape to integrate more of its existing services into Windows.

On Windows 8.1, Microsoft is more closely bundling SkyDrive as a Web storage service. Also, a new version of Internet Explorer will come as a default with Windows 8.1. Whether or not PC users like it, Microsoft is responding to the changing landscape around it. When Microsoft shelled out $8.5 billion for Skype, it was evidence of how serious the company was about building up services it could bundle across all its products: Windows, mobile, Xbox. The future of Windows isn't just Microsoft's owning the operating system, but also the key software and services on top it.

Happy Windows users?
Will Windows 8.1's changes be enough to satisfy most dissatisfied users? Probably not. The tile user interface remains at the center of the experience, even if booting to the desktop is now an option. Moreover, many of the changes to make Windows 8.1 feel more similar to Windows versions rely on customization. With many users complaining about a "steep learning curve," making users customize the experience doesn't exactly scream of simplification.  However, the changes could go a way in getting more adoption of Windows 8 in a key market: corporate users. While consumer interest in PCs has been cratering, corporate PC buying has been a far more steady force. Enabling options like booting to the desktop could lessen headaches for IT departments and persuade them to begin using Windows 8.

Like it or not, Microsoft is committed to an operating system that's touch-friendly and features heavy integration with its other services. How much more will Microsoft compromise and return to the look of the Windows feel of old? That will depend on whether the company can stomach declining Windows sales across the next year, or whether Windows manages to rebound.

Microsoft is in a battle with not just Apple and Google, but increasingly on the look out for innovative giants like Amazon and Facebook. Find out "Who Will Win the War Between the 5 Biggest Tech Stocks?" in The Motley Fool's latest free report, which details the knock-down, drag-out battle being waged by the five kings of tech. Click here to keep reading.

• Report this Comment On June 02, 2013, at 10:04 PM, normgarry wrote:

Windows 8 felt like it was designed by a LEFTY MAC-user who wanted revenge on right handed Windows users. The entire thing is backwards. The function menus on the right instead of the left. The IE address bar on the bottom rather than the top... It's a MESS.

I'm not sure what's going on at Apple and Microsoft, but it's like everyone suddenly started making garbage simultaneously.

• Report this Comment On June 02, 2013, at 10:56 PM, rightnwrong wrote:

I have a laptop, not a tablet and Windows 8 isn't a learning curve, it is a total screw up! Tired of hearing that everything new takes time getting used to...sorry but I can't get used to closing down by having to go to a "charms bar" or not being able to access Word, Outlook or other functions without having to go to "Start" and then to Apps and using a slid bar to scroll all over to find what I need which has been labeled differently and so on. User friendly? NOT!

• Report this Comment On June 03, 2013, at 12:04 AM, daverhall wrote:

I have a desktop that uses Windows 8 and have tried to use it several times but always get frustrated. Some things will be ok but most of the others are very hard to work with and causes great frustration. This is only a couple of months old. I have decided to wait for 8.1 and if that is no better then will opt for replacing with Windows 7 pro. I am using Windows XP pro and like that. I had hoped Microsoft would have done a different job of setting it up that they did. I do not have a touch screen monitor. What a waste of money for Windows 8 software.

• Report this Comment On June 03, 2013, at 12:39 AM, techy46 wrote:

I've got a Lumia 900 phone running WP7.8 and a Lenovo Z400 Touch laptop and it took about 15-30 minutes to learn the phone and the laptop was less since I already know Active tiles and classic W7 desktop. The whole consumer confusion is totally amazing. Are there really that many dumb Windows users that can understand touch jestures and Charms control panel? Or maybe just that many Apple and Android bigots that want to knock anything Microsoft releases.

• Report this Comment On June 03, 2013, at 1:10 AM, thatsnopun wrote:

Invest in Stardocks "Start 8", Its 4.99 for life. Puts the start button right back where it was. Right back where it belongs!!!

• Report this Comment On June 03, 2013, at 1:21 AM, Computerworgen wrote:

I love how Ignorant "Fools" always try to defend windows 8 by saying people are "Resistant to change" or "dumb". These seem to come from people who only use their computers for Facebook & Poon. I know how to use Windows 8. Why do I hate it? It's not because I don't know how to use it. It's because i have no need for a User Interface designed for Social Media Addicts using touch Displays on my Home PC that has no Touch display. I Don't have a Touch Screen & this lame-o Tile UI is in my Way & I don't want it in my way. Yes, I can install Third Party Tools to get the start Button/menu, but I refuse to support Windows 8 & the stupidity known as Windows 8. There simply is no reason to Update to Windows 8 if you don't have a Touch Display.

• Report this Comment On June 03, 2013, at 3:33 AM, zforce67 wrote:

Just download a free third party start button and all is good. I like iobit start menu.

• Report this Comment On June 03, 2013, at 5:24 AM, Slogg76 wrote:

"Past versions of Windows didn't translate well to the touch-based devices..." and Windows 8 does not translate well to a mouse and keyboard which millions of people still need to use.

• Report this Comment On June 03, 2013, at 8:15 AM, Stakeouttoo wrote:

anyone who would buy and use Win8 is a 'fool' oops.. sorry bout that.. no disrespect intended :)

Win8 is just a pile of junk for newbies just starting out with a PC who do not know any better or those who are tablet-eers.. who only care about tablet-txting ..emailing ..googling and are not PC power users..

why would anyone want to perform 4 steps just to do what you want to do with one step in Win 7 or for that matter Vista or XP..why would I want to do my image editing with thousands of pics on a greasy smudgy monitor.. absolute madness... Ballmer must be losing it... thought he would score the big one for MS.. instead he fell flat on his face with Win 8.. 8.1 won't help more of the same garbage using smoke and mirrors... give us back our Windows OS enuff is enuff then again there is always Linux.. or dare i say it.. APPLE

• Report this Comment On June 03, 2013, at 10:46 AM, toph36 wrote:

There is a lot of ignorance when it comes to Windows 8, or even Windows in general, and some of the comments here show it. Most applications that run on Windows 7 run on Windows in the Desktop environment. When you are in the Desktop in Windows 8, it all looks (and functions) very similarly to Windows 7, sans the Start Button. One key thing I think that Windows 7 users fail to take advantage of is “Pinning” applications to the Taskbar. If you do that for the applications that you use most often, you do not need to use the Start Button very often. I personally rarely click on the Start Button, maybe once a week to logoff my Windows 7 laptop at work. The TaskBar works the same in Windows 8. If you Pin your desktop applications to the Desktop TaskBar from the Start Screen or “All Apps” view, you will not need to go to the Start Screen every time you want to open a Desktop application. As for the lack of a “Start Menu”, with the return of the Start Button in Windows 8.1 coupled with the option to go straight to the All Apps view (instead of the Start Screen) when clicking the Start Button, and the fact that you can also boot directly to the Desktop, this should all make the transition smoother for new users. If people are still not happy, please try one of the many Start Menu replacement programs (as others suggested) available from 3rd party providers.

• Report this Comment On June 04, 2013, at 1:14 PM, tangoev wrote:

The power of the web and internet applications and services should render the OS close to redundant. It should just happen. This is the fundamental beauty of the iPad. There is no real OS and very few options or settings to play with.

This is direct contrast to the classic PC where you have to interact with the OS to load and stop applications, install stupid device driver, manage pesky printers and join wireless networks. Win 8 does not make any of this easy.

Microsoft tried to combine a mouse driven desktop OS with a finger driven touch based tablet OS and have created Wn 8 that does neither very well.

Until they have two distinct flavors - one for touch and one for mouse they will never keep customers happy. This goes a lot deeper that a Start button.

• Report this Comment On June 04, 2013, at 5:02 PM, gcsmithbmc wrote:

Microsoft screwed the pooch when they implemented Windows 8. It was hubris run amok. The idea that they went to such lengths to change the way I interact with the OS is ludicrous. I've been using Windows for years. Every new release brings some new quirks but they've always allowed me to go back to the "classic" interface. The Start menu is a standard reference point. Removing the Start menu is like having a an automobile company remove the steering wheel. So before I can learn to drive the car, I need to figure out how to do the things I used to do starting from the Start menu. I recently purchased a laptop with Windows 8. When I first tried to use it, I was completely lost. I couldn't do anything I'm accustomed to doing. I was livid. After trolling the internet, I found enough information to put things back to a state that I'm comfortable with. I don't care the Microsoft built a new interface. What makes me angry is that they went to great lengths to prevent me from using my computer in a way that I am familiar with. They want to teach me a new way. I don't want to learn a new way.

I'm happy with the old way. It seems to me that they are paving the way to make Windows 8 work naturally with touch-screen devices. That's OK, just don't screw up the interface for folks who have no interest in using those kinds of devices. Like I said: Hubris run amok.

I found a nifty little program called "poki" that changed the interface back to something more like earlier versions of Windows. I'm using that and the only time I have a problem is when I inadvertently mis-swipe and select some app that I have no interest in running. The problem is that some app takes over the screen and there is no apparent way to close it out. That drives me up a wall (not literally). Microsoft would do well to recognize that there are lots of users who are not interested in bleeding edge change. For those users, the old interface works fine and they should make it easy for those users to revert to the "classic" interface.

• Report this Comment On June 04, 2013, at 5:08 PM, TheRealRacc wrote:

I use Windows 8 and being a lifelong XP user, anticipated difficulty. The transition required nothing but patience and at this point (8 weeks in), I love it.

I feel sorry for all the disapprovals. At least I can do real work with my Surface.

• Report this Comment On June 04, 2013, at 5:09 PM, CorsairVelo wrote:

Did the Change introduced by iPads take time? Uh, I don't think so .... they ran off the shelves and continue to. The MS apologists have a nice career path for the next few years... kind of like they did when Vista came out. Yes, MS will get a more Win7-like option working with Win8.1 and since corporations are still trying to get to Win7 (from XP) and won't entertain Win8 for another couple years, this hiccup won't matter to them so much. They saw this same screw-up with Vista, and by the time they get to Win7, these headaches will be worked out.

I do feel for all the non-techie users out there who find the interface annoying and confusing. Don't blame the victim on this one, MS screwed up big-time.

I also agree with the comments that express frustration with trying to force a tablet touch interface on desktop users with non-touch screens. We'll see how this plays out and what Apple does.

I honestly think an "upgrade" from WinXP to a Mac is easier than moving to Win8 for most people. Start button? now use Finder. Explorer? now use Finder. Office? use Office for Mac. Photoshop? use Photoshop for Mac. Browser? Take your pick as long as it's not IE. Done.

(not trying to create a Mac thread out of this, honestly, just making the point about Win8)

• Report this Comment On June 04, 2013, at 5:18 PM, xetn wrote:

The main reason MS has sole so many copies of MS8 is because it comes loaded on new PCs. What we haven't seen is how many xp and ver 7 have upgraded.

• Report this Comment On June 04, 2013, at 5:43 PM, andybrwn wrote:

I wonder if anyone has studied the concerns about lost productivity with the GUI changes for both the Win8 OS and Office.com. It's my largest concern and why my office will be paying MORE to DOWNGRADE to MS7pro on new machines coming in with MS8 as the OEM OS install. Its really disruptive to an office environment to lose time and money for a change on a critical tool that does not provide much (any?) value added from a functionality standpoint.

• Report this Comment On June 04, 2013, at 5:47 PM, eldetorre wrote:

"The power of the web and internet applications and services should render the OS close to redundant."

Yes for baby tools like browsers and web apps this is true. For computer power users this is laughable.

• Report this Comment On June 04, 2013, at 5:47 PM, maccdw wrote:

WIN8 sucks. The digit-heads at MS think for some reason that hiding icons and forcing you to waive you cursor around the screen, or forcing you to simply start typing into a mostly blank space, is somehow more helpful that allowing you to see all of your icons and selecting what you want to use.

As we have long known, MS considers the market (us poor unfortunate schmeebs who spend good money on MS software) as Bill Gates' personal beta test site.

Message to Bill Gates: try beta testing your stuff BEFORE you sell it to us and use us to do the beta testing you should have done.

• Report this Comment On June 04, 2013, at 5:55 PM, valueseekinguy wrote:

All designed by teenagers!!! Where did the old geesers go?

• Report this Comment On June 04, 2013, at 6:54 PM, SteveSwlabr wrote:

Sounds like there are a lot of Luddites out there. Get the Ludd out, folks. Windows 8 is awesome on phone and tablet, though a little clunky on laptop. 8.1 will eliminate the clunkiness.

And no, I'm not some kid who only uses FaceBook/Twitter/YouTube. I'm a 58-yr old software consultant who has used computers since I was 18, from mini to mainframe to the original desktop PCs to laptops to tablets (Windows 8, Android, iPad) to smartphones (Windows and iPhone). Windows 8 isn't perfect, but MSFT got quite a bit right and it will continue to improve.

• Report this Comment On June 04, 2013, at 7:19 PM, AskYouThis wrote:

Greetings. Up until a few days ago, I took all of this Windows 8 bashing as the gospel. I figured that if everyone thinks Windows 8 is bad, then it must be bad. I was wrong.

I purchased a Windows 8 touch-screen desktop this past weekend and have spent some time trying to figure out how it works. Yes, it is different. Yes, it is not as intuitive as people would like it to be. Is it potentially revolutionary? Absolutely.

I honestly think that Microsoft got it right. The interface is slick. The interface is cool. In my humble opinion, it is going to change the way people are going to interact with their computers in the future.

Perhaps I would like it less if I did not have the touch screen. But, I do and it makes Window's 8 a joy to use.

And before anyone tries to label me as a Microsoft fanboy, this particular comment is being typed on an iMac because another member of my family is using the new Windows 8 machine.

• Report this Comment On June 04, 2013, at 7:30 PM, ch1ckster wrote:

If I learned nothing else as a result of years in computing and database development and usage, Customer Requirements are the prime consideration. Ignore them and bad things happen not just in the computing world but others as well. Ingenuity and creativeness are paramount also. For whatever reason, companies age and in the process, abandon much of that and are surrendered to the professional bean counters.

• Report this Comment On June 04, 2013, at 8:06 PM, airpurifier wrote:

I bought a new computer 2 weeks ago with Windows 8. I knew absolutely nothing. Also singed up for 52 weeks, one hour per week, one on one personal training. Took it home, messed around. On my first one hour personal training I learned a lot. It is EASY! If this computer Know Nothing can do it... what can I say? Yes, I have a few more things to learn. 51 weeks to go. The trainer took me by the finger and started from zero. It is totally Fantastic!!

• Report this Comment On June 04, 2013, at 9:27 PM, SteveSwlabr wrote:

@ch1ckster, I agree that customer requirements, ingenuity, and creativity are all paramount. But Windows 8 is hardly a surrender to the bean counters. I'd say it's a combination of all three elements you tout ... a rather brave, creative new interface that is an investment in the future. It will pay off in spades down the road as they work out the kinks.

• Report this Comment On June 04, 2013, at 9:37 PM, Waynemartin wrote:

More often than not, the primary reason products fail in the marketplace has to do with ease of use. I am amazed that a company as sophisticated as MS has produced a product that was so poorly thought out from a users perspective. How about hiring some Human Factors people to help create an easily useable product to start with?

• Report this Comment On June 04, 2013, at 10:32 PM, Saintmark01 wrote:

After two years of using an I-Pad I decided to return to the Windows environment. I purchased a Surface Pro that runs Windows 8. Although it is less intuitive than the I-pad once you get the hang of it Windows 8 is easy to use. It took me about an hour to begin easily maneuvering around the machine and as I have explored the software more fully over the past several months I am delighted with its performance.

My chief complaint is the lack of Apps for the Surface Pro. The I-pad has a much more robust library from which to choose. My only other criticism is the plug-in. a USB type of attachment is simple and elegant; the Surface Pro's requires me to find my glasses, turn on the light, and spend a frustrating five minutes trying to line up the pins.

All in all I am happy with the change and would do it again in a heartbeat.

• Report this Comment On June 05, 2013, at 12:19 AM, whahoppened wrote:

Internet works faster! There! Don't like picture transfer, doc. storage, notebook, paint and other strange little quirks. I've lost my scanner and a number of programs won't load.

It came on a rebuilt Dell or I would never bought it. I'm going to have to revive an old XP to be happy! I'm sure that's how misfit got their high sales numbers.

• Report this Comment On June 05, 2013, at 12:55 AM, Rocketmn wrote:

Purchased an Envy X2 with Win 8. Terrible experience. HP s tech support was the only part of the experience that was OK. Win 8 was not intuitive, example: on the IPad push and hold the back space key it will wipe out an entire email address. First of all with Win 8 you get nothing even though you stick your finger in the search field. So HP tech support remote controls and puts an "Onscreen" keyboard on the screen working with the tablet undocked. Now hit the backspace key and it goes back one character. Most tech support people do not understand it! It's for folks that want a cheap laptop.

• Report this Comment On June 05, 2013, at 2:45 AM, EdGrey wrote:

How many new cars would they sell if every few years all the pedals and knobs got moved around, and people who didn't like it were called "afraid of change" and "backward fossils"?

• Report this Comment On June 05, 2013, at 4:51 AM, WuTangInvestment wrote:

Haswell will allow for tablet makers to use full Windows 8.1 on tablets.

The new Microsoft Surface Pro (when finally announced and eventually released) will act as reference hardware for full windows tablets. Unfortunately RT is DOA, at least until people are used to 8/8.1.

More importantly, Haswell will allow pc's (macs included) to take back some of that market share that the long battery and fluid touchscreened tablets had taken.

• Report this Comment On June 05, 2013, at 8:50 AM, mishka53 wrote:

I'll be happy to have the old desktop back on booting up the machine, but I don't use my Win8 machine much. Just don't like it. It's slow, for one thing. And iTunes doesn't work right. After being a PC person since Gateway days, I'm gravitating toward using a Mac. It will be hard to get me back.

• Report this Comment On June 05, 2013, at 9:04 AM, ziq wrote:

It's not just Windows. A very similar controversy arose recently in the Linux world over "Gnome 3".

The interface we all know well--the "desktop" with icons and a "start button" you click with a mouse to shut down--is not by any means the be all and end all. There is plenty of room for improvement. However, changing how humans interact with a device radically, all at once, and possibly in the wrong direction, is a mistake. A lot of it has to do with the arrogance of programmers.

An interface ("Metro?") designed around social media is guaranteed to piss off people who have to do serious work on a computer.

• Report this Comment On June 05, 2013, at 10:07 AM, tonyg1234 wrote:

Tami Reller is right when she says "change takes time." It took me an hour to change my OS from Windows to Linux.

• Report this Comment On June 05, 2013, at 10:39 AM, chumchingee2 wrote:

I think it is a disease. I am a member in good standing of the trailing edge of computers. Yes I use XP a lot.

Mostly I use a trailing edge version of Ubuntu called Edubuntu. It uses Unix vs C plus Plus and it is much faster on the same hardware that windows uses.

They went to a tile screen too. It is called UNITY.

No one really likes it. I prefer Gnome. regular desktop.

They will be a victim of the Ketchup bottle syndrome.

In the 50s all ketchup bottles had small mouths on the bottle. Difficult to get ketchup out. One company widened the bottle entrance. They went broke! Everyone complained but no one wanted to change to a wide lip bottle.

The ketchup companies got smarter. They increased the size 1/8 inch per year so no one got concerned.

Microsoft needs to learn the trick.

Change in small doses.

The big trouble with 7 was not all devices worked on the new system. Like half your usb devices may not be seen.

Customers must feel comfortable with the new changes. Without it you may go out of business.

But maybe that is what they have in mind . . .

• Report this Comment On June 06, 2013, at 7:42 AM, mikecart1 wrote:

From Best to Worst if you "Must" use Microsoft:

XP

2000

Windows 7

Windows Vista

Windows 8

Windows ME

Note: Vista, 8, ME are only included for completeness. I don't seriously recommend either of those failures. :)

• Report this Comment On June 07, 2013, at 1:12 PM, twm219 wrote:

Can you say "New Coke?"

• Report this Comment On June 07, 2013, at 2:56 PM, mfd2013 wrote:

In April I bought a Dell laptop with Windows 8, still have'nt used it and considering selling it or install Windows 7. Windows 8 is awful, I am also considering going MAC and using Parallel which is a program that allows you to run several versions of Windows.

• Report this Comment On June 08, 2013, at 6:32 PM, ChrisBern wrote:

mikecart1 is right, Windows XP is the best OS Microsoft ever released (and Server 2000 or perhaps 2003 on the server-side). Otherwise it's been downhill for over a decade. In fact, Office 2003 is better in my opinion than any more recent variations of Office. And I'm not resistant to change, either. In the past few years I've gotten a Mac for my work computer for the first time and occasionally try out different distros of Linux just to stay relatively current on things.

• Report this Comment On June 09, 2013, at 5:55 AM, SorrySkeptic wrote:

I read the consensus arguments about Windows 8 with amazement. Love it, it's increased security and robustness. I run a single Window Live account on a tablet, laptop and desktop, sharing settings. The tablet can run mouse, keyboard, two external monitors, 4TB of disc drives and a couple of scanners.

In my small city, it is impossible to buy new higher end Windows 8 computers, they fly off the shelves too fast. Combine that with recent company dividend increases and share price increase, I wonder at the consensus. Have they actually tried Windows 8?

• Report this Comment On June 09, 2013, at 9:23 PM, oceanview02 wrote:

Been using Win8 for several months on a new HP desktop. I tried really hard to adapt to the Metro tiles but gave up and downloaded a patch to get back to the original Win7 start screen. Its still not as clean and Metro rears it's ugly head when the cursor goes to certain sides of the screen like when you want to hit the back button on he browser but go just a little bit too far into the upper left corner. They have dumbed the interface so far down that it feels like a kids game. The best part of Win8 is the boot time which is dramatically better, and that, and only that has kept me from dumping 8 so far, but maybe not much longer unless 8.1 is a vast improvement. I was convinced to buy this over a Win7 version by a salesman who said I might as well go for it cause I would have to eventually anyway. Well, no I don't Bill G, I can always choose your competition.

• Report this Comment On June 10, 2013, at 3:31 PM, miteycasey wrote:

Ever notice how all the positive Windows 8 users have only commented on Windows 8 articles and done nothing else on this site?

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 12:25 AM, benddon wrote:

In evaluating a new OS check how many keystrokes or mouse clicks or screen movements it takes to do something....

Wiindows 8 consistently takes twice as many commands to do the same thing in Windows 7 or XP.

Until MicroSoft makes an OS that works BETTER and easier, there will be a lot of resistance and most people do not know why.

Just count the keystrokes.

• Report this Comment On June 17, 2013, at 11:57 PM, 650nm wrote:

Not likely anyone's going to read this, but I was told of a simple solution to the 8 dilemma: the windows button. Press it and you're back to normalcy. Not being an 8 user myself, I don't know what the conditions are that must be met to have this work, but I've tried it at Best Buy and it does seem to work just fine.

AND I have to say that it's the biggest reason keeping me from buying an 8-equipped PC.

The BEST reason for going 8 is that touch-PCs innately are designed to have wide viewing angles. Colors are more consistent, too. Walk down the aisle at your local BBY and you can tell which ones are touch-based just by that fact alone.

• Report this Comment On June 18, 2013, at 2:32 PM, kellenbmiller wrote:

I really like Windows but I have not had a use for the Metro style layout. The search page is unorganized hard to find things just by looking and I need folders. The layout is fine but I would also like pages beyond a unending row of Icons. Icons that I have not been able to customize. I might add. I thought W 8 was going to be something I could get custom themes for. But it is locked into a one page row of apps. Stupidly why can't I search for a app? They do not have a search field for apps. You have scroll thru them. And they are not organized enough. Just venting.

• Report this Comment On June 18, 2013, at 2:47 PM, kellenbmiller wrote:

With Windows I should be able to have my OS look how ever I want. And it should be supported. Entitlement? Maybe? I am not asking for anything for free. But their are a world of themes and adaptations they could allow to run on Windows 8. Multiple Pages should have been a no brainer. Multiple layouts and themes, What are they waiting for? With W8 they took things out of W7 and gave us a Metro page. That should have been Metro Pages with a thousand different ways to customize it. The Metro page just feels 0ne dimensional. In a multi dimensional world they need to act more like the competition than trying to be just the opposite.

• Report this Comment On June 18, 2013, at 10:59 PM, Alknoy wrote:

No pop3 in Mail. What were they thinking? IMAP is wonderful. A majority of computer based email program users are on pop3. Is Microsoft trying to tell us what's good for us or providing a easy of use service? They did not have users in mind when they did not provide pop3 in Live Mail.

• Report this Comment On June 20, 2013, at 3:46 AM, jlandale wrote:

I almost wished there had been these kind of boards (and I was old enough to read them) when Windows 95 came out - a total ground up UI redesign compared to Windows 3.1 - you would be the same people complaining - it makes me chuckle,

On the pop3 post - it is so you buy Office 2013 which includes Outlook which supports pop3 - plus gmail / Live mail are all very popular mail services that guess what - they support IMAP. Finally to all you Apple lovers at the Fool - leave your biased views at the door! Give it a try like you did with iOS for the first time - you will be surprised just how easy and consistent the experience is. Keep up the lively debate though - I enjoy it - all the best from the No. 1 #WindowsNerd