SodaStream Is Not a Fad

Now that the buyout chatter surrounding SodaStream (NASDAQ: SODA  ) appears to be dying down, we can get back to analyzing the strength of the model itself.

One of the things I love about being a Fool is that we encourage opposing opinions. I started the Dueling Fools feature in the mid-1990s on the premise that two educated dissenting opinions are more valuable to an investor than a single bullish or bearish diagnosis.

It's in that spirit that I enjoyed reading Fool blogger Sam Mattera's post over the weekend, calling out SodaStream as a fad.

I disagree with the conclusion. I wouldn't be a shareholder if I didn't. However, I enjoy coming across well-argued perspectives that are different from my own.

SodaStream has for years been called a fad, but that argument been debunked by now. Let's explore some of Sam's more reasonable points.

He begins by describing how the kitchen-appliance landscape has been unchanged for decades, so why should SodaStream break the mold of the ice cream maker, juicer, and waffle iron that's often banished to the back of the cupboard after the novelty wears off?

Well, reality shows us that even traditional appliances do get disrupted. The toaster is still the toaster, but how many people still replace their drip coffee makers with new drip coffee makers? Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (NASDAQ: GMCR  ) -- a company that often gets compared with SodaStream, given their somewhat similar razor-and-blades beverage models -- has revolutionized the way we view coffee brewers, with its Keurig single-cup systems. It has penetrated just 13% of the domestic households, but its brewers continue to be the industry's top-selling coffee makers.

In short, kitchen appliances do change.

Comparing SodaStream with crepe makers and George Foreman grills is also not fair. Folks consume soda daily. There may be something wrong with you if you're popping down two or three crepes a day.

Then we get to assessing the faddishness of the Foreman grill or Margaritavilla frozen-drink maker. It's pretty clear for these gadgets that sales stop happening. SodaStream thankfully provides a wider range of metrics, because it generates revenue with every use. As folks use the machines, we see the metrics of consumables. As long as that's growing -- just as Green Mountain's K-Cups -- we know that the appliance is gaining in popularity.

So how's that carbonated pet rock and hula hoop doing? SodaStream's been entrenched in Europe for years, and it's still mustering double-digit growth. Closer to home, where SodaStream made a big splash in retail distribution three years ago, growth has been even stronger. Stateside unit sales of soda makers, gas refills, and syrups rose 78%, 101%, and 119%, respectively, in SodaStream's latest quarter.

If this is a 2010 fad, why are starter kits still growing at a 78% clip in this country? If folks aren't using them, why are the carbonators and flavor bottles growing even faster?

SodaStream also has just 1% of household penetration in this market. Clearly, we're not at Keurig levels here, but why are we near the ceiling (if this was a fad) instead of the floor (if this isn't) when SodaStream has had greater success in regions where it's been doing business longer?

SodaStream has at least 10% of the household markets in four countries, and we consume more soda in this country than anywhere else.

There have been faddish systems in the past that added fizz to flat water, but they never had the retail distribution, whereas most of the leading retailers around the country now sell SodaStream consumables, and many will swap out your empty carbonator at half price.

All washed up
Sam's final argument is that folks will continue to enjoy canned and bottled soda despite the convenience of home-based carbonated beverages because the bottled-water industry shows that folks are willing to pay up for something as a substitute for something that's nearly free.

Is that why folks really drink bottled water? No. They consume bottled water because they think it's better. They don't trust the rusty water fountain in the office building. You don't get any fresher than making soda on the spot, and as the SodaStream flavors expand and evolve -- just as Green Mountain's K-Cup lines have expanded through third-party partnerships with great beverage brands -- it will make the argument to buy and use a SodaStream that much more convincing.

SodaStream isn't the next microwave, but it's certainly not the next hand-cranked ice shaver.

SodaStream's carbonation technology sounds simple, but this razor-and-blade company offers an intriguing opportunity for growth that could very well disrupt the soda industry. The Motley Fool's premium report on SodaStream explains the opportunities as well as the risks in the company. The report comes with a year's worth of updates, so just click here to get started.


Read/Post Comments (5) | Recommend This Article (2)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On June 12, 2013, at 2:02 AM, seattle1115 wrote:

    You may be right, but I'd be surprised. I'm not sure SodaStream has even risen to the level of a fad - I would be more inclined to call it an obscure novelty. I know a small handful of people who own the machines, but none who actually use them.

  • Report this Comment On June 12, 2013, at 8:55 PM, Mark1Wagner wrote:

    "There may be something wrong with you if you're popping down two or three crepes a day."

    You may be right and this statement says a lot about our society and how it consumes soda. However, I suggest that something is likely wrong with you if you're consuming two or three *sodas* a day.

  • Report this Comment On June 13, 2013, at 1:36 PM, vuccna wrote:

    Motley Fool employees need to get your "facts" straight. Is it a fad or not a fad? On June 8th an article comes out from you all saying SODA is a fad. Today an article comes out saying it isn't. I don't think you do your research prior to writing these articles. It is more like a blog than an article.

  • Report this Comment On June 13, 2013, at 2:03 PM, Risky88 wrote:

    For all the people out there that think

    Sodastream is a fad

    put your money where your mouth is

    Short it

    That's exactly what I did

    Bought it!

    P.S.

    Our family and wifes family each use our sodastream at least every couple of days.

  • Report this Comment On June 19, 2013, at 2:50 PM, OnTimeAirFilters wrote:

    Hilarious. I bought my SS about 5 years ago. I use it at least once/day if not 2x. I have "sold" about 50 of them to friends and given more as gifts. And, none of us really uses them for soda. We use them for more exciting water (sometimes with a drip or two of lemonade). Nothing is more faddish (except maybe crepes) than water, as we all know.

    I own both GMCR and SODA from a ways back. IMO SODA crushes GMCR b/c it solves two additional problems: (a) it is hyper environmental...reusable bottles, recyc canisters; (b) it saves you having to carry something annoying, bulky and heavy...sparkling water. GMCR wins on partner strategy, no doubt.

Add your comment.

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2484131, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 8/30/2014 2:20:39 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...


Advertisement