Who Are the Latest Winners and Losers in the Smartphone Market?

The mobile revolution continues to gain speed. A new survey from Pew Internet Research arrived on June 5, and it revealed that the majority of the U.S. population owns a smartphone. But while some companies are tapping into this trend, others are starting to lose their footing, even as the number of total users gets bigger.

Who's the latest winner in the battle of the smartphones? Has Apple's iOS smote Google Android? Are sales of Nokia's Lumia and its Microsoft  (NASDAQ: MSFT  ) Windows Phone OS waning in comparison to BlackBerry  (NASDAQ: BBRY  ) ? And does being a loser in the smartphone market necessarily make a company a bad investment? Motley Fool contributor Caroline Bennett has answers to these questions and more in the video below.

It's incredible to think just how much of our digital and technological lives are almost entirely shaped and molded by just a handful of companies. Find out "Who Will Win the War Between the 5 Biggest Tech Stocks?" in The Motley Fool's latest free report, which details the knock-down, drag-out battle being waged by the five kings of tech. Click here to keep reading.

Read/Post Comments (5) | Recommend This Article (1)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On June 12, 2013, at 5:41 PM, HelpIsHere wrote:

    Thank goodness not all of us make our investment decisions on really old data! Thanks

  • Report this Comment On June 12, 2013, at 5:48 PM, Hoopaholic wrote:

    OMG!!! You cannot find someone better to put in front of a camera than that!!! I don't want to work at that company, lol....

  • Report this Comment On June 12, 2013, at 6:09 PM, KtheJ wrote:

    28 % Android, 25% iOS, 1% MSFT, 4% BBRY total equates to 58% of the market - what?? Where is the rest of the 42% of the market. This is the third major survey I've seen in the last 30 days. How come they're all so far off from each other. The last report had MSFT Market share up from 2.5% to 6%. Now you're saying that with all their advertising, market share actually fell. I suppose this is US data only, which is also misleading, it's not like the US owns the market for Smart phones. Why don't you just give us the report or the link to the report and we'll deciper ourselves what the data means? Thanks Kj

  • Report this Comment On June 12, 2013, at 10:25 PM, k1moops wrote:

    BYOD is only an iceberg. Within 5 years BYOD would be part of your résumé. Companies would simply have clusters of Apple Mac Pro servers that run Windows and OSX apps using a short list of acceptable devices which the employees and contractors being to work. All terms of employment would be tightly bound to the device usages. iOS will be the standard for USA, others would likely be Android, and perhaps Windows. This essentially shuts the door to devices that are non iOS, Android, and Windows.

  • Report this Comment On June 13, 2013, at 5:55 AM, Oril wrote:

    Unless ones operating system has the security features of a company like Blackberry behind it, one needs to be extra cautious about downloading videos from the Internet. Considering how misleading many of them are, particularly from this site, one has to ask themselves 'is it really worth the risk?'

Add your comment.

Compare Brokers

Fool Disclosure

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2482718, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 9/30/2016 4:26:40 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Today's Market

updated 7 hours ago Sponsored by:
DOW 18,143.45 -195.79 -1.07%
S&P 500 2,151.13 -20.24 -0.93%
NASD 5,269.15 -49.39 -0.93%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Better investing starts with a watchlist. Now you can create a personalized watchlist and get immediate access to the personalized information you need to make successful investing decisions.

Data delayed up to 5 minutes

Related Tickers

9/29/2016 4:00 PM
BBRY $7.94 Down -0.39 -4.68%
BlackBerry CAPS Rating: *
MSFT $57.40 Down -0.63 -1.09%
Microsoft CAPS Rating: ****