DC vs. Marvel: 2015 Can't Get Here Fast Enough

DC may have found its Joss Whedon. No, not Christopher Nolan -- though there had been speculation that he would shepherd a series of films featuring DC Comics characters -- but rather Man of Steel director Zack Snyder and screenwriter David S. Goyer.

According to Deadline.com, both men have signed on with studio parent Time Warner (NYSE: TWX  ) to make a Man of Steel sequel while Goyer is on board to write Justice League, a DC Comics superhero team-up film scheduled for 2015 that will compete with Whedon's Avengers sequel.

Having Snyder and Goyer stick with the Superman franchise for another film is smart. But having Goyer stick all the way through to Justice League is even smarter, says Tim Beyers of Motley Fool Rule Breakers and Motley Fool Supernova in the following video.

Why? First, he's established audience-grabbing bona fides by helping devise the storylines for all three of Nolan's blockbuster Batman films. Second, he knows the genre, having worked on comic book films since the 1998 surprise hit Blade.

Teamed with Snyder, he might deliver just the sort of scripts Warner needs to challenge Walt Disney (NYSE: DIS  ) and make Justice League a legitimate alternative to Avengers 2, Tim says.

Do you agree? Please watch the video to get Tim's full take, and then let us know whether you've seen Man of Steel, and, if so, what you thought of the film .

Socking it to the small screen
For as much as Disney and Warner are helping to change big-ticket filmed entertainment, others are reinventing television. New entrants such as Netflix and Amazon.com are disrupting traditional networks and unleashing new profit in the process. Care to learn more? The Motley Fool's new free report "Who Will Own the Future of Television?" details the risks and opportunities in TV. Click here to read on.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 9:16 PM, pawsaint wrote:

I am 58yrs old, and have seen every Superman ever produced. From the first till now, and watched its transformation. I like all the super hero movies for each ones unique way the character is portrayed. I am glad to have lived long enough to see my oldest super hero's story displayed the way it was meant to be seen. You could say, I loved it and cant wait to see the next 2 movies. The Batman was well done also. But Man of Steel was super! Good job.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 10:08 PM, lsr18 wrote:

I think Disney has done a fine job developing this series of Marvel movies.

Although Time Warner has a nice hit for themselves with this new Superman, and Batman has done quite well, I don't think TimeWarner has developed the Justice League well enough. Disney had done Hulk, Captain America, and Thor movies almost as advertising for The Avengers.

The Justice League needs more development.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 10:13 PM, masterimmortal wrote:

I agree that they need more development. I think Warner is trying to rush things too much.

Jumping straight into Justice League right after starting over with Superman is a terrible idea.

It's doubtful they'll get Bale back for it so you'd be introducing audiences to an almost entirely new cast all at once.

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 12:13 AM, fuzzbud120 wrote:

There has to be more movies for wonderwoman, aquaman, flash and cyborg if they are using the new 52 justice league. Christian bale said he would only be batman again if Nolan was involved and green lantern......well that might need a redo or a really good sequel. They do need to push justice league back and concentrate on the people that don't really read comics that much so they can get to know these characters. That was one of the good things about the avengers, we already knew the characters.

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 12:23 AM, Duriel408 wrote:

Man Of Steel was a great movie! I can't wait for the Justice League movie. I watch the Justice League animated series on Netflix & i'm a big time fan of that. It made Man Of Steel that much more enjoyable for me & I understood the movie more. They have some time between now & Summertime of 2015 to get ppl familiar w/ the Justice League characters other than Batman, Superman & Green Lantern. Hopefully they do so. Justice League alone will do great just because of ppl's familiarity w/ Superman & Batman. I just hope they use this guy that played Superman in Man of Steel, Chris Bale as Batman & Ryan Reynolds as the Green Lantern. And Green Lantern wasn't so bad. I enjoyed it. They gotta make him more bad a** though.

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 12:46 AM, rdpulfer wrote:

I'm a huge comic book fan, though I haven't seen "Man of Steel" yet. Anyway, I don't think David Goyer is Joss Whedon's equal, and I suspect that might cost Warner in the long one. At this point, DC is running to play catch-up with Marvel's franchise-building, and while 2015 will be an exciting year for comic book fans, DC's approach to franchise-building might prove to problematic.

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 2:24 AM, vcrpro3 wrote:

We're halfway through 2013...They better get on the ball with movies featuring The Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, J'onn J'onz if their going to use that character, and straighten out the mess that Green Lantern was...just Superman and Batman don't a Justice League make.......

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 8:17 AM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

@vcrpro3,

>>just Superman and Batman don't a Justice League make.......

Right, we'd have to call that one "World's Finest."

:-)

Foolish best,

Tim

TMFMileHigh in CAPS and on the boards

@milehighfool on Twitter

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 8:23 AM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

@rdpulfer,

Thanks for writing.

>>Anyway, I don't think David Goyer is Joss Whedon's equal ...

Perhaps not, but does he have to be? Warner needed a storyteller capable of constructing an integrated, appealing DC Cinematic Universe.

Goyer has the credentials for the job, though asking him to do in 2 years what it took Marvel four years to achieve *is* problematic.

I'll be seeing "Man of Steel" with my family today and will plan to weigh in with more thoughts afterwards. Stay tuned!

Foolish best,

Tim

TMFMileHigh in CAPS and on the boards

@milehighfool on Twitter

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 9:11 AM, rtichy wrote:

Either that, or go "old school" on the team up movie and make the "Justice Society of America" with a completely different cast. Then you can dump Ryan Reynolds' Green Lantern, go period piece, lock-out Superman and Batman and play up Dr. Fate and the Spectre!

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 9:15 AM, rtichy wrote:

Doing IMAX 3D at 9:10am with my family for Father's Day!

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 10:21 AM, AcuraT wrote:

The biggest problem facing this franchise is that they don't have Disney backing it up but Warner Brothers. WB has had a history of not investing enough in developing a franchise and having it tank on it. While Disney (Marvel) has taken the time to develop each character with its own movie, WB is rushing to put out its own "Justice League" without developing many of its members with its own movies. While this will lead to a successful outing, I would be stunned if they are about to outdraw a second Avengers movie - as the movie going public will not be as invested in the WB alternative. Just human nature.

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 10:41 AM, WayneDeath1047 wrote:

They are fast tracking a Man Of Steel 2 but it would seem like according to reliable sources that they would do a World's Finest first while re-establishing Green Lantern and establishing (or maybe not) The Flash and Wonder Woman and hopefully Martian Manhunter as the last two may not be able to hold a film on their own.

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 11:01 AM, WayneDeath1047 wrote:

They can find the tone that is so distinctly lacking. Goyer did an awesome job with Johnathan Nolan and if anything perhaps Johnathan should be given the gig as he is truly a comic book fan.

With that said I have faith in Zack Snyder. If can bring the tone of Watchmen to the DC Universe as I remember the scene where the scene where Rorschach was beating down the police which is what Batman has had to do in many incarnations early in his career as well as the tone of the scene where they saved the kids from the burning building and Silk Spectre dropped in very reminiscent to the way Batman used to drop in through skylights in Batman 1989 and Batman Forever the we will have ourselves a winner.

We need to stay away from wanting Darkseid to be the villain of the first Justice League film because it will be nothing but a redux of Avengers as Parademons are the equivalent of the Chitauri. IMO I think we need to have Lex Luthor a full businessman secretly against Superman in Man Of Steel 2 funding Cadmus and make the main villains Metallo finding and perhaps unleashing Brainiac. If they do a World's Finest film they should do a Joker/Lex team up with Lex going after the presidency winning and have that movie based loosely on Public Enemies and Lex being infected with the Brainiac virus and being impeached from office. Use the SOURCE material. No Alien Invasions first go around. Use The MULTIVERSE and have the League fight the Injustice League. Do something RADICALLY different then go for the easiest villain which would be Darkseid.

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 11:39 AM, JasonNotDa13th wrote:

Saw Man of Steel last night and I have to say that I was very pleased with the work put into it. Very well done. However, I bothered by the idea that DC (WB) is even thinking of putting out a Justice League movie without introducing ALL the pertenent characters. This would be a big fail on their part. There is no chance of competeting with Avengers 2, none at all. So why try when you haven't put together all the pieces to be successful in your first "League" movie.

Thinking back to when WB had "Smallville" going, they brought up the notion of developing a Justice League theme after that series had worn out, but that never came to fruitation. If it had, I'd see the possibility of a successful JL movie. WB is infamous for their "all talk, no action" mentality, and i'm infuriated by that to say the least. What happened to Wonder Woman? Green Arrow series is, as my teenage son calls it "terra-bad"...Green Lantern needs a redo or as previously suggested, one heck of a better sequel.

My suggestion...and only my two cents, take the time to put out products that will help the fan base understand what you are putting out (the characters), instead of rushing just to compete to something that is so massively successful. If you put out unsat products, you'll only get unsat returns, setting yourself up for failure, in turn heading back to the drawing board. I think Man Of Steel was a total success, build on that. Give us something on Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Flash, Aquaman, hopefully another go at Lantern....Don't put the cart before the horse...build into it.

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 2:07 PM, CA1976 wrote:

I've been a fan of superheroes for many years. Both DC & Marvel. I'm more of a DC guy though. I'd really like to see a Justice League movie. As a matter of fact, I would like a Justice League movie based on the animated series. So yes that means John Stewart as Green Lantern and not Hal Jordan. I'd also like for another GL movie to be made and it to feature John Stewart over Hal Jordan. I've always appreciated the GL Corps because of its diversity in the corps. and I think the world is ready for other nationalities to be heroes other than physically fit caucasian men/women. I don't have a problem with Hal Jordan per say, but if you can have Triple X with Vin Diesal and then Triple X the sequel with Ice Cube, then there's room to add John Stewart and i'm sure Hollywood can find a big name actor to play that role. Diversity and change adds to ratings considering how Hollywood movies have become so monotonous.

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 3:23 PM, CA1976 wrote:

In my post statement I forgot to add that although I favor DC over Marvel. DC has only been making animated movies while Marvel has been putting out every major player that they have. News flash DC/Warner Bros. Superman and Batman alone will not help you compete. You must establish credibility of the other characters like Marvel did with the solo appearances of the Avengers prior to them teaming up. So that means that you're going to have to make a Flash movie, a Wonder Woman movie since she is your female lead character and the third member of the league. Green Lantern needs a stronger sequel as I favor John Stewart over Hal Jordan, although we all know that Hal will return. And give Aquaman a shot. Marvel hasn't gone to a water based hero. For diversity's sake, Shayera Hol/ Hawkgirl should be a hispanic woman. There should be 8 founding members of the league: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Hawkgirl, Aquaman & the Martian Manhunter that they should just make into a CGI character with an actor that can just do a voice over. Like they do in animated films.That's just my opinion and that's how i'd do it.

Perhaps a compromise for a Green Lantern sequel, have both Hal Jordan and John Stewart. There's just so much potential for the DC Universe not to evaluate thinking outside of the box, and if DC plans to compete with Marvel, then thinking outside the box like what was done with "Man of Steel" is necessary. Speaking of "Man of Steel" I absolutely loved the new costume and him doing what he never did before...take a life. I liked how they ended the movie with him becoming Clark Kent the reporter and not the usual flying above the Earth smiling at the audience as the credits roll. As much as I love Batman, the next time I want to see him is in the Justice league movie.

What made the Avengers so good, was not only were the same actors retained, but their solo movies Captain America, Thor and Iron Man gave vast audiences a chance to see them as that hero. Years ago when Batman came out, to go from Michael Keaton, to Val Kilmer, to George Clooney, the image of Batman lost its validity. However if Warner Bros./DC Universe can stick with Henry Cavill & somehow bring back Christian Bale at whatever the cost, then you stand a fighting chance. Nothing against Ryan Reynolds, but I would've cast him as the Flash before I would GL. We need a change of the guard as GL and what would help is my idea of John Stewart who I cannot stress enough. Perhaps Idris Elba or Will Smith or a young rising star. As Hawkgirl perhaps Eva Mendes, Michelle Rodriguez, Zoe Saldana, Sofia Vergara or another young rising talent. The point is if DC/Warner Bros. wants to compete, they had best think outside the box!

• Report this Comment On June 22, 2013, at 3:01 PM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

@rtichy,

>>"World's Finest" would be a great way to start, instead of trying to reach the JLA by 2015! I think a movie with a single credible threat to both characters interests and a plot that focused heavily on these two trying to find a way to cooperate would be a better path to an eventual JLA anyway.

Good idea. Also, I'd love to see that sort of film. "World's Finest" was one of the few Superman comics I bought regularly as a kid.

>>Trying to go "head to head" with Avengers for the public opinion, is a mistake in my opinion.

Yep. But I do admire Warner for setting the bar so high.

Foolish best,

Tim

TMFMileHigh in CAPS and on the boards

@milehighfool on Twitter

• Report this Comment On June 22, 2013, at 3:04 PM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

@WayneDeath1047,

>>I would hate to break it to the writer of this article but there is no way they are going to be able to make a Justice League by 2015.

Warner has already said publicly that its aim in JLA by 2015. Pushing the date back in order to create a legit DCU would be a better strategy, I think. Most of you seem to agree.

Thanks for writing and Foolish best,

Tim

TMFMileHigh in CAPS and on the boards

@milehighfool on Twitter

• Report this Comment On June 22, 2013, at 3:12 PM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

@WayneDeath1047,

>>If they really wanted a solid team to write the Justice League films they need to get the teams from Injustice, The Arkham Asylum games and the Batman/Superman/Justice League/Justice League Unlimited Animated which both are heavily relied upon Paul Dini and company.

Interesting idea!

I *love* Justice League Unlimited. At one point, a fan strung together four or five of the last episodes of season one (written by the late, great Dwayne McDuffie) into a movie entitled "Question Authority." The sequence hung together really well.

So yes, get Bruce Timm and Paul Dini together in a room with Len Wein and Marv Wolfman. You'l have a great JLA story arc in no time.

Foolish best,

Tim

TMFMileHigh in CAPS and on the boards

@milehighfool on Twitter

• Report this Comment On June 22, 2013, at 3:15 PM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

@JasonNotDa13th,

>>Green Arrow series is, as my teenage son calls it "terra-bad"

Really? I've come to like it, and I;m a big fan of the Denny O'Neil-Neal Adams-Mike Grell Green Arrow.

>>I think Man Of Steel was a total success, build on that. Give us something on Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Flash, Aquaman, hopefully another go at Lantern....Don't put the cart before the horse...build into it.

Agreed.

Thanks for writing and Foolish best,

Tim

TMFMileHigh in CAPS and on the boards

@milehighfool on Twitter

• Report this Comment On June 22, 2013, at 3:18 PM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

@CA1976,

>>Lastly, I'd like to see an Aquaman movie made. So many people have turned him into a joke to the point that he can't be taken seriously, and no one would watch him for free let alone pay to see him. However if you made the movie darker and serious, borderline rated R, while incorporating much of his comic book history, then perhaps people would look at him as the true king of Atlantis and not a filler character like Booster gold.

Good thought. While I've stopped reading the Geoff Johns-Ivan Reis run on Aquaman in the "new 52," I do like the overall direction they took with the character and the book. Much more in line with what you suggest.

Foolish best,