Does the 2014 Corvette Stingray Live Up to the Hype?

A historic look at the Corvette Lineup. Photo: General Motors.

Only a few special vehicles can reach the legendary status of an iconic American muscle car. Those special rides give the brand what is called a "halo" vehicle -- a unique ride that draws consumers to the dealership. Because of the attention those vehicles garner, they mean much more to the brands than the sales they produce.

In that elite group are muscle cars such as Ford's  (NYSE: F  ) Shelby Mustang and General Motors' (NYSE: GM  ) Chevy Camaro and Corvette. There's been a lot of hype surrounding the redesigned 2014 Chevy Corvette, but does it live up to the lofty expectations? More importantly, is GM screwing it up by not allowing every dealership to have its halo vehicle? Here are the details, and what it means for consumers as well as GM investors.

Expectations and overview
"The convertible has been a part of the heart and soul of Corvette since the very beginning in 1953," said Ed Welburn, GM vice president of global design. "With the all-new Corvette Stingray, we designed and developed the coupe and convertible simultaneously. As a result, the Corvette Stingray offers an open-top driving experience with no compromise in performance, technology, or design."

As Welburn mentioned, there's no sacrifice in performance, as the 2014 Corvette stingray is estimated to put out 450 horsepower and 610 newton meters of torque. If you're comparing, that makes it the most powerful standard Corvette in its long history.

All the horsepower is produced by the Corvette's 6.2L V8 engine, and its advanced combustion system obviously commands enough raw power and torque to embarrass any tricked-out Honda Civic rolling around your neighborhood. On top of embarrassing Fast and Furious wannabes, what's even better about this generation of Corvette is the interior design.

While the outside of the Corvette has always screamed for attention with its aggressive styling, the interior design left much to be desired. With years of complaints from consumers and critics alike, Chevy designers finally placed the bulk of their attention on the interior issues. Consumers can rest assured that the interior is much improved. The interior offers carbon fiber and aluminum trims with hand-wrapped leather.

Interior of the 2014 Corvette. Photo: General Motors.

You can see the dual 8-inch infotainment screens that feature the Chevrolet "MyLink" system. The interior also boasts a nine-speaker Bose audio system that's typically found in luxury models. Here are some of the other features for standard models, not including premium options.

• Seating with lightweight magnesium frames for exceptional support, and eight-way power adjustment.
  • A five-position Drive Mode Selector that tailors up to 12 vehicle attributes.
  • A new seven-speed manual transmission with "Active Rev Matching."
  • A carbon fiber hood on all models, and a carbon fiber removable roof panel on coupes.
  • Advanced high-intensity discharge (HID) and light-emitting diode (LED) lighting.
  • Keyless access with push-button start.
  • Power tilt/telescope steering wheel.

While those features aren't necessarily anything to write home about, the premium features listed on the Corvette website are impressive -- you just have to pay up for them.

"The 2014 Corvette Stingray perfectly embodies Chevrolet's mission to deliver more than expected for our customers," said Chris Perry, vice president, Chevrolet marketing. "The Corvette Stingray delivers a combination of performance, design, and technology that very few manufacturers can match, and none can even come close for $52,000."

Investing takeaway
Ultimately, this is the most complete, powerful, and aggressive styled Corvette in history -- offering a big bang for your buck. That said, will it be enough to salvage the drastic decline in sales?

Data from Automotive News Data Center.

Only time will tell if the sales rebound, but I'm skeptical that the much-hyped 2014 Corvette will do anything for GM's top or bottom lines. Moreover, there is a big hiccup in the plans for GM's halo car: Not all the dealerships are getting the vehicle. What's the point of a halo car if you can't have one sitting at every dealership to draw in consumer traffic?

Chevy has a list of requirements for dealers to meet before receiving the Corvette's, and only about one-third of dealers are going to qualify when sales begin in the third quarter, according to Edmunds.com. After nearly a year, and jumping through hoops of buying special tools and additional training, the rest of the dealers should be eligible to sell the flashy ride -- but it won't be without many ruffled feathers and tested dealer relations.

The seventh-generation Corvette is a unique specimen, to be sure, as well as a powerful iconic ride. It's not enough for me to move past a test-drive, if it's even available at a location near me. What about you? If the newly designed Corvette going to be parked in your garage, tell me why in the comments below. I'm curious.

Is General Motors and its Corvette good enough to bring huge returns for your portfolio? A recent Motley Fool report, "2 Automakers to Buy for a Surging Chinese Market," names two global giants poised to reap big gains that could drive big rewards for investors. You can read this report right now for free -- just click here for instant access.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 1:30 PM, al8603 wrote:

There's only one thing preventing me from considering buying this car. Government Motors.

I personally cannot forget that this so called corp. Is gov't owned. Screwed all their investors and closed dealerships based upon the political leanings of the owners of those dealerships.

That is un-American. Keeping our pre-gov't Escalade and pre-gov't 'vette until the wheels fall off.

Screw'em!!!

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 1:35 PM, pksloope wrote:

If I had more disposable income than I had plans, I would trade in my 2005 Corvette for one. I purchased it used and it was worth the money. The new vette is a beautiful performance machine and will be purchased by those who love to drive and want to be part of this American icon. It is expensive, but not more than some of the upscale SUVs and believe me, it is far more fun to drive. The only thing I don't like is what they did to the tail lights.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 1:43 PM, jamesdan567 wrote:

the Tesla S model has similar performance, zero emissions and far more advanced technology than any Corvette ever produced. The Tesla S model puts the Corvette to shame. The highest rating EVER given to any American car EVER, is to the Tesla S model. A $70K Tesla will cost you $21K less for fuel than the Corvette over a 150K miles life, making the $70K higher quality Tesla less expensive to own than Corvette. 0-60 in 5.4 seconds for the Tesla, versus 0-60 in 4 seconds for the Corvette. If you ask anyone, 5.4 is just fine. Plus you can get 7 passengers into the Tesla!

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 2:01 PM, dragonslayerhd wrote:

I have two Vettes a 2012 and 1962...Hype? No way.This car is a beast and head turner.It performs on the street and that where its driven. I tested one, and nearly put BOTH of my other Vettes on the market to buy one!

Corvette owners are kind of different now. I bought my first new one for $3,500 If you cant afford a Rolex, dont have an accountant and a Platinum AMEX its probably not the car for you..but if you can its going to make ya smile!

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 2:02 PM, motorbobb wrote:

Tesla a better car?? Spoken like a real eco-nerd. Anyone who says 5.4 and 4.0 0-60 is "the same" should be posting on another topic, like the Prius or "my Honda minivan is amazing" boards. The new Vette looks to be an amazing performer, offering acceleration and handling rivaling real exotics. Its a tribute to American performance design. As for the quality of the interior, I will have to see it to believe it. GM has been promising a quality interior for about 20 years...

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 2:10 PM, TMFTwoCoins wrote:

@dragonslayerhd

Pretty high praise, but I have heard some great things from many consumers.

@motorbobb

I'm with you on this one. The Tesla might be the car of the future, or more likely the technology trend of the future, but not right now. As it becomes more mainstream you better believe Ford/GM/Toyota will have the finances to develop technologies to rival Tesla.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 2:10 PM, jamesdan567 wrote:

Corvette's sales figures speak very well for the piece of crap that it is and always has been.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 2:18 PM, kyivguy82 wrote:

I was considering the 14 Convertible since I just sold my CTS V but I chose the Jaguar F Type. Maybe next time on the Vette.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 2:58 PM, Petronilus wrote:

The Tesla Model S gets to 0-60 in 4 seconds in the performance model. Things for this first generation sedan will only get better.

The reason Model S is far superior is that it's a car you can actually drive more efficiently than even a Prius with more space than a Mercedes, more technology than a BMW and reliability that should be superior to any gas car having complex transmissions, combustion engine etc. Even the brake pads will last much longer just because you use regenerative breaking most of times.

And it's a car that for most people gets you where you need without ever going to a gas station.

However, the Model S doesn't look as cool as the Stingray and it doesn't make the loud noise either.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 3:54 PM, EricBryce wrote:

The price of automobiles has really gone up over the years. Corvette was my dream car and once I was out in the workplace and could afford my first new car I was going to buy a Corvette in 74. I was still under 25 and was afraid the insurance was going to eat my lunch so I bought a fully loaded Monte Carlo Landau instead. By today's standards it was poorly made. The Corvette was $6200.00 only $400. more than the top of the line Monte Carlo. Who knew that 40 years later a new Corvette would cost $52,000.00. In those days you could buy a Rolls Royce was $20,000.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 3:59 PM, rms45011 wrote:

I've had 5 vettes in the past and they were fun cars but I can't bring myself to buy another or for that matter any GM car because of the way they screwed the share holders in the past.

I'll stick with Ford or some of the foreign car makers.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 4:34 PM, pauljsx wrote:

There's a California company that sells a retrofit kit to convert the new vette into a wagon, stick some wood panels and a chrome roof rack on it, and I'm all in...at 52

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 5:42 PM, rtichy wrote:

Tesla's racing program doesn't fare very well. Can you think "5 hour pit stop" ?! You can put numerous BMW models in a race, but a Tesla is never going to race...

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 5:56 PM, bcweir wrote:

Yet another reason to skip this worthless, overdone, "too big to fail" government owned carmaker. Bad enough they've mistreated and cheated their own customers for decades - they don't even treat their own dealers with respect.

Case in point. If I wanted to buy a BMW M5, I can buy one from ANY BMW dealer in the country. Period. Ditto for Porsche 911 and Porsche dealers. Ditto for Viper at Chrysler. Ditto for Audis. You get the picture. I'm not forced to drive across the state to buy the model I want just because GM has this faux-elitist philosophy that only "select" dealers can sell a Corvette. BS. Aren't ALL Chevy dealers Chevy dealers??

Bad enough they overdid the car. Bad enough that the car has a shockingly tiny amount of cargo space for such a large vehicle.

Sure it's pretty. Sure it's fast. But I can't see myself buying this car from a company that treats neither its dealers nor its own customers with any respect.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 5:57 PM, 1972novaSS wrote:

Eco-friendly much? Anyone that is able to afford one of these new vette's probably isn't to worried about what kinda gas mileage he's gonna get. It's about time to revive true "American Muscle". This is a sleek ride that shoukd be driven to be appreciated.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 6:00 PM, Rolland wrote:

Of course it lives up to the hype, It is a CHEVY. Gee what a shame GM just didn't go into the waste heap

like half the people write on here. Get over it. GM is making some nice cars. Would you really only want Fords on the road? Of course not.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 6:05 PM, bcweir wrote:

I also laughed my head off at the "Fool" who said that the Tesla can seat 7 people. For the record, the Tesla Model S officially seats FIVE people.

I don't think I want to know where that individual thought they would seat those other two people.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 6:07 PM, bcweir wrote:

No, but the new Fusion is a far better vehicle than the new Malibu, and Americans are not limited to just Ford and GM when it comes to choosing a competent new car. Let me introduce you to some of the other brands you probably hadn't heard of, such as Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Kia, Hyundai, Chrysler, Dodge... I think you get the rest.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 6:12 PM, pwkrp wrote:

@al8603, you might want to turn off Fox news, they paid it back in 2010, six years ahead of time. And what is wrong with keeping people working, keeping other companies in business, keep these people working and paying taxes were they live, spending money were they live. And the unions too pay cuts, retirement cuts. it was good for us all. Even the Japanese car companies took bailouts and the people in Japan don't know if they will get their money back or not, all they want is to keep their country men and woman working. They work together, not like the USA were we only think what is in it for me, The USA of ME. Even Ford took out loans and a line of credit with the government.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 6:51 PM, bcweir wrote:

To pwkrp, the government still has a 61 percent stake in GM.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 6:56 PM, pwkrp wrote:

@bcweir, show me some news from this year, you know 2013, GM paid it back and the Government is selling GM stock at a profit and tax payers will make a profit. Your story is from 2010

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 6:57 PM, bcweir wrote:

PWKRP's statements are so full of holes and mistruths I don't know where to begin to debunk them. Ford didn't take government bailout money. They did borrow money in 2007 (what major company in the world DOESN'T??) , but that was a bank loan. Not one cent in taxpayer money was involved in that, and it was NOT a bailout.

The bailout funds were placed in an escrow account. It wasn't really a payback, but rather a return of funds GM didn't spend out of the total bailout package. It doesn't address at all the 61 percent stake the US government STILL has in General Motors.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 6:59 PM, bcweir wrote:

The government sold SOME stock, not all of it.

The U.S. government has sold $3.2 billion worth of General Motors stock so far this year.

The Treasury Department says in its monthly report to Congress that it sold $611.4 million worth of stock in May.

That's on top of $1.64 billion worth of stock sold from January through April and another $1.03 billion from a public offering last week.

The sales mean that the government has recovered about $32.4 billion of the $49.5 billion bailout it gave the Detroit automaker. But taxpayers are still $17.1 billion in the hole.

Treasury officials say they sold 58.4 million GM shares from January through April for an average of $28.05 per share.

Shares being sold in June are going for $34.41 each. That offering is slated to close Wednesday.

The share price and the number of shares sold in May were not released in the report.

In exchange for the bailout, the government got 60.8 percent of GM's stock. The Treasury Department has been shrinking its stake, cutting its holdings to under 14 percent with the public offering last Thursday. After the sale closes Wednesday, the Treasury Department will own 189.2 million shares.

The government says it wants to have all the shares sold by April of next year.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 7:00 PM, bcweir wrote:

That story above is from June 10, 2013. So GM will still be a taxpayer-owned company through at least next April.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 7:01 PM, cliffvettej wrote:

@jamesdan567--Your post is full of insane nonsense. First of all, I challenge your "cost of gas over 150k miles" assertion. I have a deep history of experience with the Corvette and I can tell you with over 20 years of selling (and owning) the car and representing and sponsoring two Corvette clubs. I have NEVER in all my experience even SEEN a Corvette with 150k+ miles on it. Do you think people use these cars as everyday drivers? If you do then that is the first thing that would tip me off that you are nuts. Most of the cars have low mileage on them. I used to take in Corvette trades that were 4 years old and only had 4,000 to 8,000 miles on them. That was the rule not the exception. Second, your 0-60 times further let me know that you are clueless on why people buy performance cars. Now, two big advantages the Corvette has over the Tesla. The cost of insuring a Tesla would be considerably more than insuring a Corvette. I closed many a Corvette sale when my customers checked on the cost of insuring the Vette against their competitors. What about getting your Tesla worked on by a factory service technician? Tesla dealerships are so far and few between that when (not IF) it breaks down there is a good chance the car would have to be hauled on a flat bed a couple of hundred miles to get to the nearest dealer. What about parts? I guarantee you repairing a Tesla would be as expensive as servicing a Ferrari. Not so on the Corvette. The cost of maintenance is no higher (hourly shop rate) than any other Chevrolet. I looked up the cost to lease one of these cars and the lease price is exorbitant. To purchase one is not much better. Using Tesla dealership website information the payments are $916 a month plus taxes, license and fees. This is for 72 months and assumes that you can secure a loan for 72 months at 2.95% (Tesla has no manufacturer financing arm so you are on your own. Good luck on securing 2.95% interest rate for 72 months. My guess? Not gonna happen.) This also has factored in a REQUIRED 15% down payment. I could write a book on this and I almost did but the point is you can have your Tesla. I might want to drive over 200 miles at one time WITHOUT having to FIND a place to recharge my car batteries. A Tesla over a Vette? You must be joking!

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 7:05 PM, bcweir wrote:

I love it. The news article says the taxpayers are still 14 billion dollars in the hole after the sale, but PWKRP still claims the taxpayers earned a PROFIT.

The shares were sold at $28.05 per share, when stocks sold in June are selling for 34.41. That means the government basically LOST $6.36 on every share sold.

How does selling a stock for six dollars less than its value translate into a PROFIT for the taxpayers?

Maybe selling at a loss translates into a profit on the planet you're from, but on this planet, we add and subtract, and you don't MAKE Money by selling something for less than its' worth!

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 7:08 PM, cliffvettej wrote:

I hear all of the grousing about the billions that the government gave GM that they are paying back. Now, what I want to know is how many BILLIONS of dollars did the government GIVE to Tesla that Tesla will NEVER repay?

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 7:22 PM, foolnmyself wrote:

The new gen Vette will be fun to drive, but enough to prop-up sales ???? Does G.M. make a vehicle were ALL the lights work?

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 7:59 PM, holland1992 wrote:

To answer the question yes Ford took a government loan and they are the only US automaker that still hasn't paid back their government load. Just the facts man!!!

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 8:11 PM, pwkrp wrote:

@bcweir, here is some news from today, not 2010.Back in January, Akerson wasn’t so cryptic when he revealed that GM was poised to achieve the rating by the end of 2013, later supported by the company’s treasurer. Since that time, the automaker has continued to prosper, reporting more profitable quarters, posting shares at the highest level in more than two years, and even recently announcing its plan to rejoin the Standard & Poor 500 Index.

Now, as GM works to stem losses in Europe and eventually buy back the rest of its shares from the U.S. Treasury — expected to be completed by April 2014

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 8:11 PM, rtichy wrote:

@bcweir-

So in 2 minutes of your time, the government stake in GM dropped from 61% to 14%; you could try harder to write factual things in your arguments before you post... instead of waiting to see if someone else catches you in your mis-truths.

@cliffvettej-

I believe that Tesla has repaid the loans it got from the government; the "crime" would appear to be that Tesla didn't have to cough up any ownership in return for getting a loan at rates well below what any sane investor would give them at the time. (see: http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2013/05/tesl... )

@foolnmyself-

I know what you are talking about, but truthfully, I see that problem more frequently on many other GM cars than I do on Corvettes. The C5 and C6 Corvettes were probably significantly better produced than other contemporaneous Chevy models. (I haven't checked Consumer Reports to back up my statement though.)

I think everyone should be willing to agree that most Corvettes are not driven for the same purpose that a Tesla Model S is driven; once you agree to that it is difficult to compare those two cars effectively. My joke about "racing" Teslas was pointed right at that difference. Teslas have a purpose that fits the driving habits of many people but not all people. If they continue to work at it (and they will, I am sure) Teslas may be able to meet more of the driving needs/wants/habits of other consumers in the future.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 9:15 PM, LungsOfSteel wrote:

I realize we all can have opinions and express them but, fellas, if you know nothing about cars, why bother showing your ego to the rest of us?

Ditto for Idaho-resident wanna-bes who think the Corvette is a social experiment by the government.

And, yes, keep on thinking Ford didn't accept money from the government . . . your ignorance is in full display here.

That being said, the new Vette is *purported* to be a great car on every level. There's certain subjective issues that many of us have with it, but to see it in person is the first step in appreciating the car. It's a veritable performance bargain and a cool alternative to different engineering philosophies.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 10:08 PM, sabebrush6 wrote:

I love it. I will probably buy one. I am currently on my 5th Corvette and it is time for a new one.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 11:18 PM, vmi332 wrote:

I love the Tesla its truly amazing what can be done with heaps of cell phone batteries. However you have to understand that they were also given millions in a government bailout and so far have only recored 1 quater with a profit. The S is horribly unpredictable and breaks down constantly. This has been reported from owners, top gear and several magazines. It has never delivered the numbers reported as far as distance and even with the quick charge stations takes 2 - 3 hours to charge if you can even find one. While yes this is a zero emission vehicle as far as operational value then you are correct. Dont forget though this vehicle uses something like 800 batteries that only have a shelf life of 5 years. Consider the environment impact of of production of those batteries. The ore is mined in china shipped across the ocean to be refined (i think in canada) where its shipped back across the ocean to be assemble in japan who then ships to california where the packs are assembled then purchased by tesla. The total green footprint of the vehicle is far worse then anything on the road today. This also goes for alot of hybrids.

If you truly want to save the environment go diesel and do the bio fuel swap. Free fuel and exhaust smells like popcorn.

Or just buy a used car and stop consuming a bunch of crap you dont need.

• Report this Comment On June 15, 2013, at 11:40 PM, predfern wrote:

The corvette is not a muscle car. The pontiac GTO was a muscle car. The lead sled is the only true american sports car. The Camero and Mustang are not in the same league. I am glad they are bringing back the stingray.

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 12:41 AM, BillD64 wrote:

Yes, it does live up to the hype. Sales will come back as the economy comes back. They didn't lose sales to competitors they lost them due to people having to put food on the table Vs buying a toy. Some people had issues with the interiors but they really weren't any worse than any other car in that market. Have sat in plenty of M3s that had worse interiors especially after a few thousand track miles. What people didn't think of when complaining about the interiors was the really good race car inspired drivetrain and suspension that was out of sight under the car. The chassis, engine, drivetrain are all world class and pretty much at the top of the scale. You just don't get that stuff in your Toyota or Honda daily driver piece of crap. The biggest complaint about the Vette's interior was the lack of lateral support the seats provided in very hard cornering. Needless to say this wasn't even noticed among the run of the mill drivers that didn't use one tenth of its capability.

Bill

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 1:56 AM, LungsOfSteel wrote:

I am not sure what a Camero is, but a Camaro is a vehicle made by Chevrolet. Some people think they're not muscle cars - they're Ponycars - but what's a Ponycar with a big engine? Yep, a muscle car.

Likewise, a Corvette with a certain motor is a muscle car. Perhaps a 327/300 is not the fastest thing on the street, but a 327/375 Fuelie is a muscle car, as well as any big block Vette through the early-1970s. To suggest a Corvette isn't a muscle car because it lacks two seats in the back is kinda like saying an AMX is not a muscle car for the same reason. Considering it's really a ponycar (Javelin) with two fewer seats, perhaps I understand why some don't think that's a muscle car either. :-p

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 3:15 AM, Rowlandville wrote:

I grew up in Michigan. And so when the morons posting here go on about "Government Motors," it makes me want to take them out in the alley. Our government let Wall Street damned near destroy our economy. It still isn't making those who destroyed the jobs and lives of millions pay for the crimes they committed against innocent AMERICANS. But GM is the bad guy?!

So you want to punish GM? They employ millions of workers both in-house and through suppliers. Even Ford said that if GM had gone under they might have, as well, because they all use the same folks to help bring them their parts. (And Ford would have tanked, too, BTW, if they hadn't just so happened to have taken out a loan just before the crash. Pure luck Ford wasn't involved. They've said so.) Back to GM: So you think some free market principle was worth more than the lives of the men and women who feed the U.S. car makers parts? Worth more than their family's lives? More than the country as a whole? Ridiculous!

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 4:38 AM, VintageV12 wrote:

Other than Johnny Carson, you always see the wrong people in Vettes.

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 6:42 AM, dfontanese wrote:

Yes, I plan on buying the 2014 Corvette. I've previously owned a 74, 75, 84, 89, 92, 98 and 01, My 74 was $7,400 sticker price. My 01 was $49,700 sticker price. So, $52,700 (ok, base price...) doesn't seem so bad, given what you get for the money. One problem with the 'Vette is that, due to it's low volume of sales, most dealerships don't have a clue how to service them. Also, these cars have been the most expensive Chevy (or GM for that matter) offered, yet dealerships treated you (and your car) like it was just another Chevy. I lost track of how many times my "Vette was poorly or incorrectly serviced, and I bought it from a fairly high volume Corvette sales dealer in Los Angeles. So, limiting dealers seems to make sense - until you want to buy one - then who you 'gonna call for service?

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 8:00 AM, eliot65 wrote:

The biggest cost is a car ownership is not gas, repairs or insurance. It is DEPRECIATION! Telsa says their Model is will be worth 50% of MSRP after 3 years, that means I will only loose $50,000 over that time span or $16,666 per year PLUS insurance and maintenance issues. A well equipped Corvette should cost around $65,000 and I am sure would be worth more than $33,000 after 3 years. BTW GM is offering $3000 GM card rebates on the 2014 Corvette. The order backlog is so great, it will be over a year wait if you get in line today according to my local high volume dealer Criswell Chevy so I just ordered a 2014 Jaguar F-type scheduled to arrive in August.

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 10:28 AM, AcuraT wrote:

Besides its method of propulsion, what is the biggest difference between the Corvette and the Tesla? You can drive one across the country without stopping more then 5 minutes to fill the tank. For that matter, you can drive more than across three states in the Midwest.

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 10:47 AM, TMFTwoCoins wrote:

There is a lot of misconception about bailouts and government loans between Detroit's Big Three in these comments. Too much for me to correct in a comment, but I'll definitely be writing a full article displaying who took what, when, and the end result. It's something that definitely should be covered and understood by the masses.

Long story short, Ford took no bailout or TARP funds during the financial crisis. It took its own loans out in 2006 to fund its own turnaround. It's paid that off with interest. What Ford did take in later years, was a few billion ( around 6 if I remember correctly) in government grants to develop electric vehicles. What Ford did with that money is mostly speculation, but they have since developed such vehicles -- see the C-MAX.

Now, everyone else also took these grants, so no one is exempt. Tesla took them, GM took them, etc.

I won't get into what GM took, suffice to say its probably more than you'd like to know. Including $50 billion in tax write-offs for profits ( GM paid about 0% taxes on profits last year ).

Anyways, look for the future article for more details.

Thanks for reading all.

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 11:21 AM, alcentral wrote:

What I would like to Know is how the hell did the Telsa even get into this conversation with 2014 Vett, its not like they are compareable to start with & fuel mileage is not a big concern with any vett owner. it's all about HP power torgue & handling. the Tesa has none of this & sure as Hell is not considered a sports car. Least wise not in my world.

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 1:56 PM, jamesdan567 wrote:

Tesla S - 95mpg EPA rated.

here is a nice quote for you all

"the sport-tuned Model S can accelerate from 0 to 60 in just 4.3 seconds -- pretty darn quick. Earlier this year, Automobile arranged a test for its magazine, and the Model S topped a 560-horsepower BMW M5 in a race to 100 MPH."

and it can go 150K miles without a tuneup. GM has been in business 100 years. Tesla's first car is better than GM has every built, after spending trillions of dollars. Just imagine the S-2, in three years....

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 1:58 PM, jamesdan567 wrote:

The Government loaned Tesla $465 million just a few years ago. Tesla paid it all back two weeks ago with interest. At the same time, the Gov loaned Ford $5.9 billion...not paid back yet.

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 1:59 PM, jamesdan567 wrote:

All race cars will ultimately be electric too. But Tesla has no interest in racing....

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 2:37 PM, pwkrp wrote:

@Rowlandville, Your right and most of these people who complain about the bailout are people who can only think of "Me, what in it for me"

The Japanese car companies took bailout money from their government. Will it get paid back, don't know. I live in Hawaii and have talked to several Japanese tourist here and asked about the bailout. You know what they say. Don't know don't care if it is paid back because it keep people working, it keep the country going. This is what we use to do in the USA, work together. Now it is becoming a country of ME, what is in it for me, I only care about me. I don't care if the bailouts keep people working, I need to know what is in it for "ME" And don't forget the UAW took pay cuts and cuts in retirement. To bad we don't work together as a country any more. ME,ME,ME, I want my share of the bailout,and only me.

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 6:31 PM, holland1992 wrote:

I hope when TMFTwocoins writes his article he will take back his misinformed statement that GM took a loan for electric cars. Ford was on that government loan band wagon, but GM later declined to take it. By the way Ford still hasn't paid it back. The government took stock in GM, their call, if they lose on it bad call by the government. They could have taken it as all loans, not GM's problem they took that road.

• Report this Comment On June 16, 2013, at 7:25 PM, TMFTwoCoins wrote:

@holland1992

You're right, I remembered incorrectly. After digging up my info it shows this (in addition to what Ford received as mentioned in previous comments).

"The other ATVM recipients were Nissan ($1.6 billion), Tesla Motors ($465 million), Fisker Automotive ($529 million) and the Vehicle Production Group ($50 million), a start-up company promoting a handicapped-accessible van that runs on natural gas."

But don't say Ford was on the government loan bandwagon, that's silly. Ford borrowed $6 billion for the ATVM purposes, roughly the same amount GM borrowed from the bailout/TARP funds and repaid. Yet GM was able to wipe massive debt off the record books, where Ford paid theirs down diligently. I hope when you say " Ford was on the government loan bandwagon" you clearly portray who took how much, and when. Also consider that GM was gifted $50 billion in tax write offs allowing it to pay a corporate tax rate near 0% last year.

• Report this Comment On June 17, 2013, at 9:11 AM, holland1992 wrote:

TMFTwoCoins

I never said GM was not on the TARP bandwagon, but saying the $6 Billion Ford got is silly. Based on your numbers, they received over 65% of the funds paid out at a very low interest rate. Not too shabby of a loan. Probably why they haven't paid it back yet. I also never stated anything saying GM didn't get a great deal from the government. But people keep saying that GM owes the government billions of dollars. It's like me taking stock in a company for a debt they owe me and then when their stock doesn't go up all of a sudden they owe me. I took the risk, just like the government did with GM Stock. If they would have set it up as a loan then GM would owe them, but they didn't. So they gambled in the stock market and lost taxpayers money.

• Report this Comment On June 17, 2013, at 11:01 AM, Nemadji wrote:

I find the import car buyer either ignorant or selfish. I have very little respect for them

• Report this Comment On June 17, 2013, at 11:49 PM, LungsOfSteel wrote:

True - it's my place to judge how someone spends his/her money.

• Report this Comment On June 27, 2013, at 11:30 PM, railin wrote:

I am quite frankly baffled that anyone would try and compare a Tesla to the 2014 Corvette...are you kidding me?

The Tesla S may go 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, now lets look at some additional facts. The Tesla S price is $105K versus the Corvette at $52K, gee maybe from a price perspective we should be comparing a ZR1. Continuing, the Tesla weighs 4,766 lbs., this thing is a bloated pig compared to even the 2013 corvette which tips the scales at 3,200 lbs. so the Tesla is about 50% heavier than a corvette. Lateral grip on the Tesla S is .92g, the corvette comes in at 1.02g. All the extra weight and lack of grip and the Tesla S completes the Motor Trend Figure Eight test achieving .70g while the corvette achieves .82g.

Real sports car drivers don't care about mpg or just 0-60 times, its the whole package and from a handling perspective the Tesla S is a beached whale. Put both of these cars on a tight twisty road or on the race track and difference is obvious. Just for the record, I am not the casual observer commenting, I have a Porsche CaymanS in the garage now and have owned M3s, Z06s, 911s, and road racing motorcycles and yes I will be buying a 2014 corvette. If you are a true sports car enthusiast there is no comparison here, the Tesla S is a cool concept and a big leap forward but it can't compare to a corvette from a sports care perspectives

• Report this Comment On June 27, 2013, at 11:38 PM, railin wrote:

Correction to above post the Tesla S Performance has a list price of $87,400 for the base car.

• Report this Comment On June 28, 2013, at 8:45 AM, elybarnard wrote:

I was a "bow tie" guy all my life, owning many Chevys (including a 1976 Stingray) ... but when Government Motors took over I traded my Malibu in for a KIA Forte and never looked back. My Uplander was next to go and has been replaced by a KIA Sorento. When it came time to buy my son a car to go to college ... we drove past the Chevrolet dealership and went another 30 miles and bought him a Scion at the Toyota dealer.

I will never own another Corvette ... until Kia or Toyota makes them!