The Pentagon needs fuel. Fortunately, it's found a few companies willing to slake its thirst for oil.
On Tuesday, the Department of Defense awarded some $2.3 billion worth of contracts for "aviation turbine fuel." Most of the major oil and refining companies came away with contracts, including:
- Royal Dutch Shell (NYSE: RDS-A ) subsidiary Equilon Enterprises, which claimed the largest award at an estimated $474.1 million in maximum value.
- Valero (NYSE: VLO ) , winner of a nearly as large contract valued at up to $456.4 million.
- ExxonMobil (NYSE: XOM ) , winner of a $405.1 million contract.
- Chevron (NYSE: CVX ) , which won $391.4 million.
- Western Refining (NYSE: WNR ) , awarded a $268.7 million supply contract.
In addition, four other, smaller companies also won contracts. All nine contracts state June 30, 2014, as the deadline for delivery.