Chevy's New Silverado Goes to Battle in Texas

Pickup trucks are big business for all of the Detroit automakers, and more pickups are sold in Texas than in any other state. That's why General Motors (NYSE: GM  ) is starting the rollouts of its all-new Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra in Texas, with a five-month campaign that will include dozens of events.

Pickup sales have been booming lately, and GM's big marketing push for its all-new trucks looks likely to add fuel to an already blazing fire. In this video, Fool.com contributor John Rosevear looks at GM's latest launch plans – and at why Ford (NYSE: F  ) , the leader in pickup sales, is delighted to welcome its archrival to the Texas pickup wars.

China is already the world's largest auto market – and it's set to grow even bigger in coming years. A recent Motley Fool report, "2 Automakers to Buy for a Surging Chinese Market", names two global giants poised to reap big gains that could drive big rewards for investors. You can read this report right now for free – just click here for instant access.

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 9:04 AM, AcuraT wrote:

So... the market is going to grow, the Ford F-150 is on everyone's shopping lists, GM spends market dollars for Ford - everyone is happy. This is insightful? You would hope the market would grow and that in most cases, the company spending the marketing will get more of the sales. I guess it is a question of "how much" but is it really that big of a deal? They all want to sell trucks(GM, Ford, and to a lesser degree of success Toyota, and Nissan) - the market will figure itself out.

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 3:13 PM, LMAOLOLLOLHAHAHA wrote:

I HAVE HAD 3 DIFFERENT GENERAL MOTORS VEHICLES AND NONE OF THEM MADE IT OVER 100K MILES. BAD CHOICE TO BUY A GENERAL MOTORS VEHICLE (THATS FROM THE HEART).

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 5:15 PM, wileydcoyote wrote:

I don't know what the guy before is talking about because I own a construction company and buy 30 silverado's every 4 years.

The all run 275,000 miles plus before I sell them. If you change the oil they all run that long . I have to say the other guy above is full of it.

I have a personal use 03 2500hd 6.0 my wife drives. It has a 165,000 .

All have changed is the u -joints battery.

I don't have any reason to tell you different. I don't care what you buy. Just a little info from my side.

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 6:16 PM, glt6208 wrote:

Mr Rosevear is quite a Ford fan and seems to c olor all of his reporting to make them look good. Are any of Motley Fool reporters required to be unbiased? Perhaps his reporting should be identified as "editorial", not factual.

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 6:32 PM, bluto1925 wrote:

@wileydcoyote ,@ glt6208

I agree on both points I have 2 GM pickups an 03 and 06 both have been mostly trouble free aside from maintenance , tires, 2 batteries and one starter,

I have some friends with similar Ford models that wish they could say that!

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:27 AM, KBlackLT4 wrote:

I also have owned several GM Pickups. I think I have sold more than a lot of salesmen. I can honestly say that the Ford and Dodge guys like their trucks ok, but they have and complain about the issues with them. I have had this last one, a duramax for over 11 years now. And the more people that ride in it want one.

I was surprised that my buddy who sales at one of the bigger dealers in Ft Worth, told me, "I don't know why, but I can sell every chevy PU we get, and some used ones for more than I can a new Ford." I told him there were several reasons, but I love my truck, and when it gets unreliable, if that happens, I will get another one. He also told me they mark theirs up so much, that when they knock off 10-12k or more, they still make a ton of money. So it looks like you are getting a good deal, but they are taking people to the cleaners. Talk to owners, I did, and service managers (SMs) before buying. I did when I was willing to buy Ford or Dodge, it was the owners and SMs that sold me, and they were right. I just think there is some bias in reporting.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 9:35 AM, TMFMarlowe wrote:

@glt6208: It's not a question of "bias". The Fool tells me to call it as I see it, so I do. This is not "reporting", it's analysis and commentary. I give credit where I think it's due. As I say at the bottom of every article where they're mentioned, I am a Ford shareholder. I think they have (mostly) done very well over the last few years. But I've been critical where due, too -- look up any of my recent articles on Lincoln, for instance, or on Ford's launch troubles with the Escape and Fusion last year.

As for GM, I am also a GM shareholder and increasingly impressed by current management, though I've been more critical of them over the last few years -- again, because I think it's due. I think the new trucks are good. Are they great? We'll see.

If you have specific disagreements with anything I've said, post 'em here and we'll talk. I am always happy to hear opposing arguments when they're based on facts, and I am not afraid to change my mind in public when it's warranted. As I said, they pay me to call it as I see it, and I try at all times to be fair -- but I will always tell you what I really think.

For what it's worth, and I suppose it's relevant if you're looking for my biases, my daily driver is a GM product, a Cadillac CTS-V. My wife drives a Ford. Over the course of my 46 years, I have owned vehicles from all three Detroit automakers, Hondas, BMWs, and one ferocious vintage Aston Martin. I have liked most of them, and I've found things to dislike about most of them. I probably liked the Aston most of all, and I'll probably have another one in the not-too-distant future.

John Rosevear