Wal-Mart Drops Paula Deen, but Who Cares?

In a recent story, Bloomberg reported that Wal-Mart (NYSE: WMT  ) will be the latest company to drop Paula Deen as a result of her derogatory racial remarks. Most of corporate America is running away from Deen as fast as possible, but her fans are mounting a protest throughsocial-media channels that could have investment ramifications. While the story continues to develop, investors will want to see what influence, if any, Web traffic can have on the outcome.

In the following video, Fool.com contributor Doug Ehrman discusses the situation and looks at the investment side of the scandal that has left one of the more recognizable personalities in food out in the cold.

To learn about two retailers with especially good prospects, take a look at The Motley Fool's special free report: "The Death of Wal-Mart: The Real Cash Kings Changing the Face of Retail." In it, you'll see how these two cash kings are able to consistently outperform and how they're planning to ride the waves of retail's changing tide. You can access it by clicking here.

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 10:47 PM, frellmedead wrote:

That's okay, I didn't shop at Wal-mart before this and if I did, I wouldn't continue to do so. I have no use for companies that cave into racists who feel they have the right to say a hateful, derogatory word, but others don't.

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 10:52 PM, betoniecy wrote:

why is everyone making a big deal out of this? So the hell what she used the n word 26 years ago. Rappers use the n word in almost all of their songs. Black youths call each other the n word.Paula Deen should not lose he job!! Really.... if that is the case then millions of records should be pulled off the shelf. It should not be used by anyone black or white Give that woman back her job and just stop this insanity. I will still buy your products Paula.

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:09 PM, mickihess wrote:

They are dropping Paula Deen for using the N word.

But they are selling rappers that uses the N word and plus make mean remarks about women and white people.

This is much of bs.

Put Paula back in the store!

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:10 PM, VegasSmitty wrote:

Checkout the rap CD's that Wally World sells, most will contain the "N" word many times.

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:19 PM, tophat1963 wrote:

leave her alone it happen 7 years ago. well about those other people call us white people is that not bad thing to say too.i hate people complaining makes me dame sick just leave paula deen alone please????????????????

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:19 PM, Onlyme40 wrote:

If you really think Paula said derogatory statements only 26 years ago you are sadly mistaken. The sad thing is all races, including black, do not understand the magnitude of racist comments or language. Rappers of today are idiots and so is Paula. We all just need to take a walk to the slave showrooms in Charleston and understand why the past should never be forgotten or swept under the rug because it makes people uncomfortable. And we wonder why we are losing our status among other nations.... When you get a chance download the invisible knapsack .

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:22 PM, baffled1 wrote:

Where does a person begin with the ignorance that is happening??I cannot believe Paula Deen is being punished for something that happened so many years ago! Lets air the dirty laundry of alot of the other Bjg names,,, lets ban all the rap crap from these stores,,,,oh wait its ok for the blacks to use the N word,,its part of btheir everyday vocabulary! And yet they can say racial remarks against white and nothing is said or done! I have almost stopped shopping WalMart over the last several years and now I think I will stop completely. They can hire drug heads and meth heads to work in their stores and thats ok,,,,NOT! Paula Deen my family and I love and support you and enjoy all your shows. I hope people will stand up and boycott The Food Network and all the places that are cutting ties with Paula Deen.They deserve what they get! This is complete ignorance

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:23 PM, giwi18 wrote:

1. Deen got a bit narcissistic it seems and perhaps thought she was invincible; however, the crux to this issue is her pattern of lack of integrity and the 'helpless female' crying in interviews.

2. She didn't reveal her diabetes while cooking fattening dishes, until a pharmaceutical company paid her for her endorsement of a medication. That was a bit deceptive.

3. On the "Today" show she had the opportunity to tell the truth to Lauer about her use of the "n" word, but opted to be untruthful. That's a serious lack of character.

4. A term such as the "n" word is demoralizing, because it projects negative ethnic judgment onto an entire race.

5. Several comments mentioned that Black artists often use the "n" word in songs. Someone explained to me that somehow saying the word with an A at the end, rather than an ER, makes it an affable term or a term of endearment. Go figure. Makes no sense.

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:24 PM, Pman1957 wrote:

well if walmart will not take all of its racist music off of there shelves them maybe we all should go there and remove it for them and show them we as americans will not put up with walmart behavior,after all walmart does not have the best rep with its employees,if Paula must go then I say we do our best to drive walmart stock down so far they will go out of business,walmart your corp heads are 2 faced they fire Paula Dean but embrace racist music for a profit I say we remove the racist music by force

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:25 PM, Onlyme40 wrote:

Paula has a right to free speech...I would rather know how people really feel rather than wearing hoods and burning crosses in the night. Be honest and the truth will set you free...sometimes.

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:25 PM, Screwyjohn62649 wrote:

I have watched Paula Deen with my wife a lot of times. This only proves it is alright for the African Americans to call each other the name or the Whites names such as whitey, honky, etc. But call someone who assaults you and you use such a name to lose all they have worked so hard for because of it. Maybe she should sue the network, suppliers and especially the one who caused it all in the first place for all the revenue she has lost due to his actions to start with. I really hope she does for this assault to her character which anyone can lose their temper under such conditions and say something they may regret. He got exactly what he wanted to do and it worked for him.

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:29 PM, Southernraised wrote:

Usually the people who are throwing stones are the ones who are the most guilty. Maybe the CEO's of these business who dropped Paula should be asked if they ever said a racist thing. That would be interesting to hear. Do these companies think that Paula's fans cannot make an impression on their business? Ask JC Penneys. They are almost bankrupt due to their BIG CEO who told them he knew what he was doing.....WRONG....people have spoke and if JCP doesn't change, then the JC Penneys that was, will be no more....Hang in there Paula.... let your fans speak for you.

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:30 PM, Onlyme40 wrote:

Oh leave Walmart alone...no one was saying anything when their workers were underpaid and they were rumored to be using sweat shops ....I guess Paula trumps that...Priorities people....

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:34 PM, JosephYam wrote:

Come on, if you think Paula Deen truly hated Blacks, then would she have promoted that Black lady suing her to manager? Quentin Tarantino uses the N-word repeatedly in all his films had gets Academy Awards for it. Paula said it 26 years ago when describing someone who robbed her at gunpoint and she gets crucified by companies, whose CEO's probably use it all the time.

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:34 PM, hagar2935 wrote:

This PC nonsense is getting ridiculous and WAY WAY WAY over the top for an incident that was MANY years ago!

How about dropping all the products related to the Black Racists as well! NO?? then you are the racists... not the rest of us who are Christians and Americans!

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:34 PM, Onlyme40 wrote:

If your people were oppressed for hundreds of years they may let a honkey or two slip out. Paula just let hers slip out in public...whoops! Just like I teach my kids with every action there is a consequence. Suck it up Paula. We know you is who you is:)

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:35 PM, fedup1299 wrote:

i'm fedup with corporate america ,you did not get the correct story on the paula deen case ,an you dropped her ,myself an my friends are dropping the companies that dropped paula,we can buy her product from her website ,your lose.

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:36 PM, Onlyme40 wrote:

Paula was smart to hire a black manager to help her out of this sticky situation. Good thinking...

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:38 PM, Onlyme40 wrote:

Those companies will still make money even if we stop buying our eggs and socks there. Paula will take your money elsewhere and I'm sure she doesn't care what color you are when she is taking it;)

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:41 PM, Onlyme40 wrote:

Quentin Tarantino used that word the way it was used back then, in context. I am sure it was uncomfortable for people to see how it was really used. Maybe that's why people are upset with Paula, just maybe....hmmmmm.

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:43 PM, ZenCatOne wrote:

To those who say that the U.S. is losing "clout with/favor of/ground with/respect from/blah blah blah" other countries because of our racist attitudes and discrimination, do you know anything about the world and all the tribes and ethnic groups that make up each nation around the globe??? There has been and still is so much race hatred, discrimination and ethnic cleansing in many other countries. Oh my goodness! Do your homework, people! Racism and discrimination is alive and thriving everywhere! Read all about France and the Muslim population there. Pick a country...any country and you'll find all the race hatred you think is unique to the United States.

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:45 PM, cap1968 wrote:

What disturbs me is the phony outrage over this use of the N word that took place years ago, or even more recently (who knows). Bad to use it yes, but can those corporate hot shots say in truth that they have never used the word? If they do make such a statement they are lyyyyying! Let's stop the hypocritical behavior corporate America. I have been in it and I can tell you that racism runs rampant, even what I call economic racism.

Paula I like your show. I think you are a genuine person and I will limit my shopping at the stores and businesses that have set you adrift.

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:52 PM, ZenCatOne wrote:

And yes, I have marked off each one of the corporate hypocrites who have dropped Paula Deen. From WalMart to Random House. Putting my $$$ elsewhere. Gotta love Amazon!

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:53 PM, Onlyme40 wrote:

Focus....racism is rampant in the United States, but ask anyone you know and they will not admit to being a racist. Other countries don't hide their true colors...that's the difference. Be honest like Paula.

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:56 PM, Onlyme40 wrote:

What do I have to do for someone to buy my book... I am going to put all this buying power to good use...Paula is showing me the way...offend people and cry about it later...taking mental notes....

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:57 PM, 2smartforlibs wrote:

I'm not Deen fan but I see Wal Mart Target what ever as hypocrites. They sell cd with horrid lyrics on them and no problem Deen a good bleeding heart lib herself say something 30 years ago and they run like gutless cowards. Long live the minority

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2013, at 11:58 PM, Onlyme40 wrote:

Paula's business strategy may not work for me though...

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:02 AM, abentwookie wrote:

hagar2935, did you seriously just imply that only white people are christians and americans? lol

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:02 AM, Onlyme40 wrote:

Thank you for your honesty English Kipper! I love it when people are honest about how they feel about other races. My business parties would be so much more interesting with people like you:) forget whispering I say speak! It makes us look so much smarter with good folks like you around.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:05 AM, abentwookie wrote:

@Kipper Wow, a racist with atrocious spelling and grammar? I am shocked, shocked I tell you.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:05 AM, birdlady66 wrote:

It might not make much difference to Walmart, but I have stopped shopping there because of their shoddy treatment of Paula Deen. Maybe if enough people would do the same, they might notice.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:08 AM, Onlyme40 wrote:

Walmart notice? Please...put your money towards a teacher's, fireman's, or police officer's salary and I promise people will notice...priorities people....

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:08 AM, tafproduction wrote:

I AM MAD, that so many people will comment on a subject they know nothing about. You are getting on black people and don't even realize, it is a white person who has brought the suite against Paula. As usual black people are minding their own business, but as always, white people jump to the conclusion that it has to be the fault of a black person when things go wrong. SMDH. Find out the facts before writing a comment so you won't seem so stupid when you write it please.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:09 AM, tbetter1 wrote:

I am an African American woman and I could care less if Paula Deen is or is not a racist. I do know that she makes the best cornbread in the world and I will continue to visit her restaurant when I am in Savannah, GA. Regarding the beef with Wal Mart, I don't have a dog in that fight. Mrs Deen got herself in this mess and I am certain she will find a way to get out of it. Exactly as I intend to patronize her restaurant, I will continue to shop at Wal Mart.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:11 AM, OurAmerica wrote:

I don't believe that all the antagonist against Paula are saying or have mentioned the fact that Lil Wayne allowed the American Flag to hit the ground then stomp or dance all over it. No respect but no attention given. Then we have the Martin case and our president endorsing what appears to be a thug. PS George is more Hispanic than white yet media does everything they can to make it out to be white downgrading a black.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:12 AM, abentwookie wrote:

Soooo conservative people didn't care when WalMart was paying people slave wages, destroying local businesses, being involved with sweatshops and the countless other unethical business practices but the moment they stop selling products from a racist, the conservatives are in an uproar. Ahhh those conservative values.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:12 AM, yankintx132 wrote:

Paula is not being dropped because she said the N-word so many years ago. Heck Al Sharpton is willing to forgive her for that... No, it's simply dollars and cents and the companies no longer see Paula as an asset. This is just a good excuse to let her go. Check out the thoughtful article that addresses her departure in terms that actually make sense.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:14 AM, Onlyme40 wrote:

Lil Wayne is an idiot and if you are using him to prove a point stop...just stop. I am begging you to please stop buying his album myself... One problem solved.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:15 AM, abentwookie wrote:

OurAmerican, a thug? Why because he beat up some creepy guy who outweighed him by over 100 lbs for stalking him around a neighborhood in the middle of the night and provoking a fight? Yeah, what a thug. lol How would you react in that situation?

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:15 AM, abentwookie wrote:

And Zimmerman also has a history of questionable behavior, including domestic violence. But he is an upstanding pillar of society right?

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:17 AM, Onlyme40 wrote:

I agree... If it don't make dollars than it don't make sense...honest Paula is alright with me but she would not be the spokesperson for my goods and services....

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:18 AM, tbetter1 wrote:

In response to the comment by Trailer Trash Dog. Thank you for your racist comments. By your own design, you are perhaps the most miserable person in the world. I hope that all that hate and sickness you have in your heart gets you exactly where you need to be. SMH!

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:20 AM, Onlyme40 wrote:

Zimmerman is a stalker plain and simple...if he jumped out of the car with a gun after he had been following me around asking me why where I was going I would defend myself too...can you say Chester the kidnapping molester?

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:22 AM, getrhonda wrote:

I won't be shopping at Walmart, Target, Sears, J.C. Penney, or Home Depot. I also don't think I'm the only one. No Food Network either. Shame on all of them.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:28 AM, Onlyme40 wrote:

Race is here to stay...I know you are tired of being sensitive to others because that stuff is in the past but that's life. Just unfair sometimes...

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:28 AM, judisa3 wrote:

Walmart has lost my business and any other company who has severed ties with Ms. Deen.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:30 AM, Onlyme40 wrote:

Poor companies...I'm sure they will miss you...sniff sniff...

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:32 AM, Junquegirl17 wrote:

Why hasn't someone questioned the person(s) at Food Network and all the others who have dropped Paula about their own conduct. Who are the people who made those decisions. And, have they never said something that should not have been said? If their background was investigated, would they lose their jobs too?

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:33 AM, LarryTrickett wrote:

Decisions to punish people should be made by the courts nd no one else. You don't destroy someone's life over something they said 26 years ago.

There's more to this than meets the eye.f

This is not right.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:35 AM, bdabest wrote:

Didn't Martha Stewart spend time in prison for misuse of the stock market? Whoa, but no one has quit endorsing her products! Let someone say something ignorant and uncalled for, and they get crucified by our messed up society.

If book sellers are refusing to carry her latest book, maybe they should also review all of their authors and check out their backgrounds thoroughly to see if they measure up to their NEW standards! Wow!

And what about racial slurs on other groups of people. Italians have long been referred to by using the "w" word. Mexicans have been referred to by the use of the "s" word. Asians have been referred to by the "c" word. Pretty soon we'll need a code dictionary so we can keep up with all the offensive terms that should not be used. Actually, the "f" word is one of the most offensive words I can think of and it crosses all racial and ethnic lines.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:38 AM, tbetter1 wrote:

trailortrashdog. Thank you for your racist comments. By your own design, you are, without a doubt, among most miserable, ignorant, racist people still living and breathing. My wish for you is that all that hate and bigotry gets you exactly where you need to be.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:46 AM, taug99 wrote:

Read the book,

KNOCKOUT GAME,

and pass it on to a friend.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:46 AM, Onlyme40 wrote:

Believe me Paula will be alright...with all you customers, I mean good people, standing behind her...

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:47 AM, Onlyme40 wrote:

Read the article Invisible Knapsack...it's a quick read....

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:49 AM, Onlyme40 wrote:

The n word will always be offensive...no dictionary needed...

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:50 AM, Onlyme40 wrote:

How can you fuss about Obama when Bush invented a war? Hush child and eat some of that Paula Deen cornbread....

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:52 AM, buzzsawblade wrote:

There is no such thing as the N word. It is stupid to say that phrase, because the instant that you say it , the actual word that it represents, pops into your head. In fact it probably repeats itself many times more, than if you just said the word out loud ! Other commenters on here have stolen my thunder, but I agree that WAL-MART and K MART are hypocrites if they don't pull every HIP HOP AND RAP cd IN THEIR STORE , THAT USES THAT WORD ON IT'S COVER , OR IN THE MUSIC AS WELL ! It's time we make a stand ! Check your kids music too !

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:55 AM, Onlyme40 wrote:

If you think there is no n word please visit the slave trading house in Charleston ,SC. You might change your mind after reading was done....just sayin...

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:58 AM, Onlyme40 wrote:

Please do not buy rap music....there I said it...stop using that as your main example...now let people do what they want with their businesses and you do what you want with your money...enough with that already...

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 1:28 AM, freeloaderfred wrote:

We don't really need another conspiracy theory on anything, but looking over the Paula Deen situation, I'm beginning to wonder. Why are these Board Room vigilantes so eager to take her down - in concert, so quickly, and with so little reason? Sure she used racial slurs - 30 years ago, and mostly in anger. That is nothing that hasn't happened to most people. Are we supposed to accept what these corporations are doing without questioning them? I think not! This sounds more like an extortion attempt, or maybe someone feels like it is time to bring down a well-to-do person? Nothing has been proved in this alleged lawsuit - only allegations of behaviors that are not proven. Next thing you know there will be a finger in the chili (that is about where the credibility lies - ask Wendy's). If you really want to flush out the truth, how about some protest "Flash Mobs" in or around these hot-shot stores?

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 1:30 AM, tatzen8 wrote:

Paula Deen's just another bad person who used to work for Smithfield ... http://www.humanesociety.org/news/press_releases/2010/12/smi...

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 1:45 AM, swisscoach7 wrote:

Jesus Christ was not a racist, and knew ALL people were children of God. Paula Deen needs to make a rap album so all her racist fans can listen to her in hell! A "real" Christian is Christ-like....not deen-like!

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 1:46 AM, michasmi01 wrote:

Wow what a circus this has created. Doesn't the old saying go"sticks and stones may break my bones, but words never hurt me"? Find me one Black or White person who hasn't used the N word. What a joke. Considering Blacks are by far the most racist people on earth too this does not make any sense. We were easier on Mark Fuhrman than we are with Paula Deen. If this is the way the world is going to work from now on that we are going to dig through ones past to try to find a character flaw then lets dig through the past of the Accuser. Guarantee there is some use of racial words such as Honky or Cracker. Thus is nothing more than a shake down because one person can't keep his or her mouth shut. I hope all her Black employee quit because they can't be trusted. They are all going to jump on the soapbox and come up with fictional stories of racism to make a buck or two. My thoughts are Paula is not racist, but a realist. God knows that we here that N word everyday in music, BET Channel, and on the streets. And who uses the N word most of all, Blacks do. I wish Black people who listen to Bill Cosby and get them selves together. Get the chip off your shoulder about slavery some 140+ years ago and move on so you can be equal.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 1:58 AM, TPuschka wrote:

The comments in support of pure blatant racism that so many of you have made on this story reveal volumes about the state of America and its race relations- it's no wonder republicans are able to succeed in keeping the country in shambles. As for Paula Deen- what person in his/her right mind wouldn't think she's a racist?

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 2:03 AM, tigersixtyeight wrote:

This is ridiculous I agree with over half the people they don't want the N word then don't use it anywhere.. I am Hispanic and I listen to a bunch of racial slurs thrown my way,, I am 1) man enough to ignore it 2) I make fun about it.

I cant believe they sell the cd's the way they do and the stuff on the radio my God ...I cant believe you all let kids listen to this

I don't know how now bush and Obama got into this but I fought in desert storm and Iraqi freedom I pulled 6 yrs in a combat zone for humanity. lets look at details again before we jump into the blame game.

what was said in the past 7 plus yrs now you want to drag someone in the mud.

to me that is wal marts lose and who ever follows I will go on amazon if I have to and buy her stuff to support her.

and if she came out with her own rap cd she would probably make more money with sells from the cd then what she would with pans. the way everyone listens to that music. and by the way

swisscoach7 even 80 to 90 percent of your rappers say they Christian. go bug someone else.

on my way to amazon to show my support

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 2:21 AM, tigersixtyeight wrote:

trailortrashdog.

I have to say I support you as well even though like I said before I am Hispanic and I earned the right to be next door. and reading your comment made me laugh but also don't forget other comments I hear like wetback spick ect... I heard it all and sometimes I just got to reach down and check my balls because I am a man to stand up and face the music. people don't like me and I can give a rats ash...lol

at least I live happy and care free.

Man up either catch the boat back or catch up with me on my next inner tube ride across the river

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 3:02 AM, LouellaMarie wrote:

I"m with the fans who want Paula Dean back!!!!!!!! What she said years ago she has apologised for and meant it, this is rediculous, Shame on Walmart!!!!!!!!!

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 3:11 AM, LouellaMarie wrote:

I am going to boycott the food network in our home. Sorry, I am not accepting that someone can use those words, but please, something some woman said 26 years ago? Something is just stupid about all of this, what is REALLY going on here?

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 3:27 AM, dow40 wrote:

Yes, there is racism everywhere. Yes, Yes , Yes. No race is more racist than the black race. They sold their own people into slavery. Today, they use the issues surrounding their slavery at every opportunity to inflict guilt. I don't recall Plato or even Aesop blaming their plight on a word or even on those who used it I don't think we'd even remember that the Jews were slaves if we didn't have the movie, "The Ten Commandments." I know words can inflict hurt but I don't believe what was said by Ms Deen is any more hurtful than cracker, or honky or mick, or spic or wop or wetback or any other racial slur. If corporate America, especially Walmart and Random House want to back off, it will ultimately be their loss.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 3:36 AM, dow40 wrote:

I hope the next time I hear from Miss Deen she's sipping tequila poolside and has a waiter or two at her beckoning.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 3:54 AM, justifiedharlan wrote:

Who cares lol Walmart,Target, Home Depot, and Sears and J.C. Penney should after hearing how racist they are by dumping Paula Dean my family and I have totally stopped doing any business with any of these stores and have cancelled my line of accounts with any of stores the listed and are telling our friends to get on the band wagon.

Come on America we the people !!!!

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 3:58 AM, kammom wrote:

I am African American and although I don't think paula should have used the racial slurs I also don't believe you should be condemned for a lifetime. I believe all races at some point have referred to others in a derogatory term while joking or in anger/ffrustamration. Plus in this case the most interesting thing is that the lady suing her is White. So all of you posting about the black lady suing her you are incorrect.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 5:12 AM, DrGoldin wrote:

I'm enjoying all the comments about how Paula Deen is being "punished"--as though she had some kind of God-given right to have her products sold at Walmart. When you get involved with corporate sponsors, you ought to know that they're going to drop you immediately if they think their association with you has become a liability.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 6:21 AM, mom196831 wrote:

When I was six I used the n word at school. It was a word I heard used and didn't think much about it. My teacher didn't make a big deal about it she just sat me down and told me it wasn't a nice word. She asked me what it meant. I said a black person. She said no. It was a stupid person. A n word can be black or white. She said I could be a n word. This was 37 years ago. And it stuck with me. Back then the word wasn't uncommon. It was still used on tv. The world has changed today. Today a child using that word at school would be different. This word shouldn't be used by any one. Black or white. The word holds to much power. So does a lot of other words. Stupid, retard, and lots of others. Paula could have lied and said she had never used that word but she didn't. She was honest. Food network dropped her cause they don't won't people thinking they are racist. How many black people do you see on that channel? Do you think Paula will be replaced by a black lady? Some of the best southern cooks are black. Punishing some older white lady isn't going change the facts food network. Now how would y'all like to be replace.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 7:21 AM, lm1b2 wrote:

Why is their no rating on these comments?This campaign against this woman for using a word what now is considered "Politically Incorrect" has been become a "Witch" hunt ! Especially considering the word is part of the English language,and used everyday by the Black race,and other races,and its use comes under Freedom Of Speech which is protected under our Constitution. I don't understand why they are out to get this poor woman for what they consider a offense took place place years ago,Christ said those of you who have not sinned,throw the first stone,are you people Anti-Christ also?

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 7:43 AM, quisqueyo64 wrote:

First of all: to all of the white people who keep bringing up rappers that use the N word. There is an entire generation of blacks (I am 48) that cringe when they hear it. so to make a deal that blacks use the word is like putting the small group of whites that live in a trailer park as the face of whites.

To the one who said let's stop patronizing racist black companies: I don't think we have a problem with that. The one's resisting with these arguments are undoubtedly people with issues.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 8:40 AM, makayla52 wrote:

I say if the lazy white southern folk would have stayed away from Africa before the civil war and wouldn't have brought the blacks here in the first place they wouldn't be here now, therefore we wouldn't have all this hate and name calling now.

sure i agree that god created all people equal but if one group is going to call another group names ie. the blacks calling the whites honkie or whitie than turnabout is fair play but there are way too many black crybabies therefore they get their own way.justsayin

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 8:58 AM, michaelkj77 wrote:

A great number of the rap and hip-hop CDs on the music department shelves are more profane and racially hateful than Paula Dean's 26-year-old racial slur uttered with a gun to her head during a robbery. I don't see Walmart dropping any of those artists. Spent my last dollar with the Walton clan.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 9:10 AM, glanda wrote:

Of course they have a place for comments on thise over written story. We've said enought here already. Paula amitted she may have said a racial slur in the pass and every black racist in this country are getting their rocks off on it.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 9:12 AM, glanda wrote:

Why not let us comment on the story about the law enforcers scaring those to collage girls to death and MAKING one spend the night in jail for something they caused! Sorry rotton law !

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 9:33 AM, asiandomination wrote:

I LOVE YOU PAULA!!!!!

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 10:17 AM, Taurus1970 wrote:

Paula has some great cookware and books ! Her products are to good for the junk from China that Wal-Mart carries. I would like to see her products in other stores so I can continue to buy them. She is my favorite of all the celeb chefs. Being a native of North Carolina her cooking reminds me of being at my grandmother's house.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 10:17 AM, graytim77 wrote:

African Americans can say and do as they please without any repercussions. 3 months ago I punched my next door neighbor in the mouth for walking up to me and saying "what up my ni**a". Got arrested for battery and a hate crime. The charges were dropped by the District Attorney because she saw it for what it was! Over the weekend they had "black day at the park". What if we had white day at the park, the NAACP and media would be all over it. Why is it ok for some but not all? A guy at work drops the "n" bomb with every other word and it makes him look ignorant and sound very uneducated. I've never liked Paula Dean but what she did years and years ago shouldn't even be an issue. If people were offended then they should have brought it up when it happened. When asked about it she was honest and said yes I did say some things. Sometimes you just need to keep your mouth shut and say nothing. Paula Deen and Lance Armstrong would both be in better shape for it!

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 10:52 AM, r3d2 wrote:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Walmart for showing their true colors. Since it is their right by the Constitution of the US to reject any product and accept any product or personality, I will also use my rights to take my business to Target or other organization that does not penalize somebody for defending themselves some 20+ years ago by using any means necessary including bad language.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:04 PM, johndoe23 wrote:

since we are taking out all the rap cds, lets shutdown everyone in Hollywood, that uses nigger in their movies. if i was white, i wouldn't wanna say nigger, also i would not be jealous because black people use the word. i can use the word cracker but i don't want to, even tho i hear other white folks calling each other nigger. stop trying to analyze blacks, our plight was different than those of you who came here as free immigrants. walk a mile in our shoes and then analyze us. rap doesnt have a damn thing to do with her using the n word, lets blame her ignorance, i disagree with the firing, but even she agrees with her ignorance.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:55 PM, CookBitch wrote:

ok,this is where da Butter gets Spread.

1st and foremost this is all bullsh*t.This woman is being punished more than severely for a word from 0 years ago? what does this say about Wal-Mart and the Food net work,Im almost 100% sure 30 years 80% of white people USED the N word,a lot has changed in society in 30 years,black people have came so far in 30 years as well as whites and others,I would expect this if she said it on air or in a public place,but this was when no one even knew her,Madonna posed naked years before she was famous,it came up during her Like a Virgin years and only made her more famous and sold more records,so why is it Paula is being discimated by walmart? I worked at wal-mart when I was 19 I HEARD the district manager call black & mixed employees the N word,in Raleigh NC, And they have the nerve to do this,its like the pot calling the kettle black.Wal-Mart has very racist managers,I know this from personal experience and from being an ex employee,I left walmart after 3 months and moved on,Walmart doesnt even carry as many black Barbie dolls anymore,in fact they cut half out of their ordering from corperate,simply by agreeing black Barbie's dont sell.This is fact and happening in recent years,Paula Deem should be not be nailed to a cross for something she said 30 years ago,she was woman to explain the situation,and apologized on national tv.A racist would never do that! She was sincere and had her heart in her hand,I know she has suffered dearly,lost her job,half her business,all that for something 30 years ago??? The world has gone to hell and the people with it! big businesses are nothing but demons,Wal-Mart especially!!!

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 12:56 PM, froglips7846 wrote:

DISGRACEFUL, DOUBLE STANDARDS IS WHAT AMERICA IS ALL ABOUT NOW, ESP WITH OBUMMER IN OFFICE...HATS OFF TO PAULA, THERE ARE ALOT OF US WHO ARE WITH YOU, & MOST SOUTHENERS HAVE USED THE "N" WORD & OTHER WORDS FOR BLACKS, SO GUESS WE ALL WILL BE BOYCOTTED....AS FAR AS WALMART SMITHFIELD, I WILL BOYCOTT THEM, CAUSE THEY SUPPORT BREEDERS/FARMERS/SLAUGHTER HOUSES, COMPANIES, PACKING HOUSES WHO ABUSE ANIMALS IN DREADFUL WAYS...BET OLE MAN WALMART IS TURNING IN HIS GRAVE...OR NOT, THE DOLLAR, CHINESE DOLLAR & PRODUCTS THAT THESE COMPANIES BUY FROM CHINA ARE AWEFUL, KILLING, NASTY STUFF IN OUR FOOD, ASK WALMART ABOUT THE SHRIMP THEY BUY FROM CHINA. NO WONDER WALLYWORLD IS MAKING SO MUCH MONEY, & DON'T PAY THEIR AMERICAN CITIZENS SQUAT!!!! UNETHICAL IN MY BOOK! THE REASON THIS STUFF KEEPS BEING BROUGHT TO LIGHT, IS THE BLACKS, MAYBE NOT ALL OF THEM, THEY JUST DON'T KNOW WHEN TO LEAVE IT ALONE. LOVE TO KEWEP IT STIRRED UP, GOOSD GOSH, BLACKS THIS IS 2013, IT'S TIME TO LET IT GO & MOVE ON...IF THAT'S ALL YOU GOT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT, WELL YOU ARE DOING BETTER THAN MOST AMERICAN CITIZENS, MOST WHITES DON'T GET THE FREEBIES!!! Thank You!!!!!

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 1:16 PM, tori1123 wrote:

I am sure she said that word recently. That is why she got fried. I am glad that they fried her. Now people should stop buying all these rap music with that word in them. And stop listen to it. Stop making these people rich while you are getting poorer. None of these people care about you.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 3:02 PM, yrsolmte wrote:

Let's talk facts for a sec . I know alot of you Trailer park , knuckle dragging conservatives would love to do nothing more than cry out double standard . Whether it is or not . It don't condone her behavior whether it was 30yrs ago or yesterday . If black person said it . Shame on them too . I notice alot of backlash being thrown at the black community . But I haven't seen one major black leader campaign against her as a matter of fact Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton has came to her defense . Everybody in my circle says it's unfortunate what she said but it's a none issue . As black people we have more pressing issues to confront than a name somebody called us years ago . Plus her accuser is a white woman , none of her lost endorsements came from black owned companies Walmart, The Food Network , Target , Sears , etc.... Since black people were the ones victimized by what she so-called said . Why are we being victimized ??? It looks like we have a case of self guilt because alot of you on here might of said the same thing she said and don't want to feel guilty about it like she does now that the rug is being pulled from up under her .....

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 6:46 PM, juju191 wrote:

Is their anyone in the US that can say, that they have never used the N word?

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2013, at 10:04 PM, smokinog wrote:

Who cares!!??? Paula Deen cares Fool!