If the Wii U Fails, Is It Time for Massive Changes at Nintendo?

The following video is from Wednesday's installment of The Motley Fool's Weekly Tech Review, in which analysts Eric Bleeker and Jason Moser look at the biggest stories driving the tech sector this week.

This week, an analyst from Jefferies initiated coverage on Nintendo (NASDAQOTH: NTDOY  ) at "buy." The analyst's buy thesis, says Eric, is that the company is going to miss upcoming earnings so badly -- thanks in large part to lagging Wii U sales -- that the company will be forced to change its strategy. Wii U has struggled out the gate as developers haven't flocked to the system -- choosing to develop for Microsoft  (NASDAQ: MSFT  ) and Sony's (NYSE: SNE  ) consoles first. 

The analyst reasons that once Nintendo changes strategy, it'll be able to succeed in other areas such as smartphones and tablets, as well as make better use of its intellectual property. Is this a crazy buy thesis? In the video, Eric and Jason examine Nintendo's prospects.

It's incredible to think just how much of our digital and technological lives are almost entirely shaped and molded by just a handful of companies. Find out "Who Will Win the War Between the 5 Biggest Tech Stocks" in The Motley Fool's latest free report, which details the knock-down, drag-out battle being waged among the five kings of tech. Click here to keep reading.

The relevant video segment can be found between 3:34 and 8:28.


Read/Post Comments (27) | Recommend This Article (5)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On July 14, 2013, at 12:55 PM, laethyn wrote:

    It's really simple:

    Nintendo needs to push out games. Their staples and big draws.

    Games like Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Yoshi, etc.

    Their current game choice is extremely lacking. Every time I head to a game store, once a month the U game shelf grows by 1. Take away the games I can get for another system, and there is very, VERY, little left.

    Some of the games they DO have are amazing. The SuperMario Bros U and Legocity: Undercover for example.

    But I want my Yoshi's Yarn, and Mario Kart (they pushed this back to next year! Missing Christmas? Whose stupide choice was that??), Mario 3d. They should also be pushing out something like Super Mario Galaxy or similar.

    I mean geez, my console game shelf is bigger than the WiiU game shelf at gamestop.

  • Report this Comment On July 14, 2013, at 1:26 PM, Darrgoth wrote:

    @Laethyn - You are correct to a degree about those games but that isn't is what is hurting them so bad. The lack of third party titles about killed their system now they are embracing.

    I think their problem is literally the platform itself. While it was a semi cool idea this overactive gaming only targets children and very casual gamers. Wii U doesn't even target the main chunk of gamers anymore. They really need to drop the motion controller and the Ipad controller and go back to being a pure gaming machine.

    Also their first party titles haven't been all that great, a few of them are hits but several are misses. Especially Mario Kart, it's sad that Mario Kart of the gamecube is the best. The Wii Maro Kart was a disaster and Wii U MK is looking to turn out the same.

    They just need to get back to making seriously fun mario/zelda titles and other first party things and come targeting their original demographic.

  • Report this Comment On July 14, 2013, at 1:33 PM, stephen1671 wrote:

    Guys, yall do know that Nintendo does have the 3DS (current-gen gaming machine) which is currently outselling everything right? So if that is the case, even if the Wii U has not sold up to par (which that argument itself has not been accurately represented), How can a company who has the number 1 selling game machine on the market not be succeeding. Sounds like the dummy calling the genius stupid if you ask me...

  • Report this Comment On July 14, 2013, at 1:42 PM, stephen1671 wrote:

    @ Darrgoth:

    Nintendo titles are not great...have you ever even owned a Wii?

  • Report this Comment On July 14, 2013, at 1:49 PM, JimothyBishop wrote:

    Not trying to be rude to whoever wrote this article, but I'm just going to tell you right now that you are wrong. Nintendo has more money then Microsoft and Sony combined. They could not make a single sale for decades, and they wouldn't be bankrupt. And this isn't the first time that a Nintendo console had this game-drought problem. May I remind you of the 3DS? The 3DS didn't have any good games up until 9-12 monthes after it was released. (Kid Icarus, Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time, E-Shop Support). Everyone was saying how the 3DS was going to flop and Nintendo would be destroyed. WRONG, becaused 3DS is selling like a boss right now all around the world. Why? Because good games came out. Well, same is going to happen to the Wii U. I'll tell you some good games that are coming out soon between Late 2013 to 2014: Super Smash Bros for Wii U, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Wii Fit U, Wii Party U, The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Yoshi Yarn, and EARTHBOUND (yes, earthbound) for the VC. And those are only the exclusives. The 3rd party games multi-releases coming out are Rayman Legends, COD Ghosts, Just Dance 2014, Metro: Last Light, The New Adventure Time, Angry Birds (YES, the last 2 are good sellers for casual gamers), and Batman: Arkham Origins. Not to mention the already released Nintendo Land, Lego City, Batman Arkham City, Mario U, and Scribblenauts. And really, that is more exclusives and 3rd party releases coming out then the Wii had in it's first year, then the gamecube, n64, and snes. Not to mention, PS3, didn't sell well due to bad lineup, and still managed to make 75 consoles sold. So before you go and criticize the Wii U, just because you are a sony or Microsoft fanboy (not hating on either, just saying it bugs me when you Microsoft/Sony fanboys hate on the Wii U because it's more casual), just remember that Nintendo is Nintendo, and they will sell games better than anyone, just like back in their NES games, SNES, N64, Gamecube, and Wii days. They have nintendo magic, and they will comeback. Give it until Summer 2014 before you criticize anything else, okay?

  • Report this Comment On July 14, 2013, at 2:02 PM, stephen1671 wrote:

    Amen Jimothy. It is good to see a good sound case made with facts and history to back it up.

  • Report this Comment On July 14, 2013, at 2:11 PM, asmcint wrote:

    As it stands, Nintendo just needs to do two things to put them ahead of the XBOX One and the PS4. It's really quite simple. Upgrade their graphics capabilities, and push out some games. People are especially looking forward to the new Smash Brothers game, so they should definitely get that out there as incentive to buy either a Wii U or a 3DS.

  • Report this Comment On July 14, 2013, at 3:19 PM, EJDimera wrote:

    No company deserves to fail more than the out of touch Nintendo company. A company that has been betraying and dissapointing their fanbase since the end of the excellent SNES era. N64 era had some bright spots but otherwise sucked and its only been downhill from there one disaster after another for the core Nintendo audience who ultimately had to move on to consoles with more and better games as it was apparent Nintendo was never going to correct it's lack of marketing much less lack of games that did not appeal exclusively to toddlers and soccer moms. Nintendo has also allowed the hack no talent Jimmy Fallon of Japan known as Eiji Aonuma to ruin the Zelda series for over a decade now beginning with the abysmal and horrible embarassment known as Majora's Embarrassment and on to the worst betrayal of a fanbase in videogame history Celda: Wand Wacker. Rather than give Aonuma his pink slip for the widely panned Celda disaster the out of touch Shigeru Miyamoto and company continued to praise him up and allow him to continue to ruin Zelda on into the future. Thus now we gamers have no choice but to rightly declare Nintendo is the past and must stay there. They must go third party for the good of the gaming industry and have their Zelda franchise sold or at least licensed out to be developed by a competent company such as Bethesda since the minds at Nintendo simply aren't up for the challenge of creating an epic Ocarina Of Time or Link To The Past like experience anymore.

  • Report this Comment On July 14, 2013, at 3:21 PM, poornamelessme wrote:

    Nintendo did make a mistake with the U, but using underpowered graphics, yet not selling the console cheaply ... which they really can't, due to the cost of the controller.

    They don't need a major overhaul, but what they probably should do is:

    Pay off 3rd party developers to make more Wii U titles.

    Reduce the cost of the Wii U, so it's around $250 for the deluxe set (plus maybe freebie game) for Xmas. They won't sell many if it's $350 and the PS44 is $399.

    Possibly consider a console revamp sooner than later. Maybe next year release an upgraded graphics version.

    Also consider selling a paired down version without the expensive tablet add-on, for less than $200.

    If they do some of those, they may be able to find their niche in-between the Xbox and PS4.

  • Report this Comment On July 14, 2013, at 3:45 PM, jesterisdead wrote:

    Agree with poornamelessme. The Wii U's problem is the hardware capabilities and lack of a hook/gimmick. Expanding on the original Wii's capabilities would have been a smarter move than trying to come up with something completely novel. People are not going to buy the new system not only because of the lack of games, but because of the high cost of ownership for something that otherwise looks like a Wii with a useless, overpriced tablet controller. Third party developers would be more inclined to develop for it if the cost came down, design simplified and graphics increased all by abandoning the pricey, clunky tablet controller

  • Report this Comment On July 14, 2013, at 4:13 PM, D2KPrime wrote:

    @Jimothy: That is incorrect. While Nintendo has more wealth than Sony, Nintendo's 10 billion dollar cash stock plus their 15 billion market cap is nowhere near that 200+billion market cap of Microsoft. They could buy and sell Nintendo 10 times over.

    The point is that Nintendo needs new leadership. Saturo Iwata is not the CEO Nintendo needs as it is clear that he has no idea on what he is doing. The Nintendo DS was in development before he took over as CEO so he cannot get credit for that. The Wii was the most successful console of the 7th generation but it's success was built on on hype. The Wii brought an entirely new audience into gaming, but once the core gamers got bored with motion-control and the casual gamers moved on to tablets and smart phone, the Wii was dead in the water.

    The 3DS and Wii U was deliberate attempts to cash-in on "what popular right now." There wasn't any real innovation there. The 3DS is very successful and the fastest-selling console of all time, but the Wii U after having a record-breaking holiday launch of 3.06 million in 45 days has slowed to a crawl. Largely due to the fact that the vast majority of the games available on the Wii U are game people already have on other consoles or can purchase on other consoles they already own.

    There isn't that definitive game that gives you a unique experience you cannot get anywhere else on the Wii U like you had with Wii Sports on the Wii. Nintendo was banking on NintendoLand to be that game but it is not nearly as straight-forward as Wii Sports which is a turn-off ot novice and casual gamers. Also. a large number of games on NintendoLand require a Wii-Mote or 2 players and if you do not have these things you cannot play the games. Not a good strategy considering someone could be purchasing a Wii U and never owned a Wii so they don't have a spare Wii-Mote laying around.

    While the Wii U is said to be "underpowered" that is an incorrect assumption. That Wii U is very powerful but the archtectural set-up of it's CPU/GPGPU is so complex that developer have a hard time figuring it out and in this current economic climate time is money and studios don't have time to be screwing around. They need to get games out there and out there quick. That is a major reason why developer pass on developing for the Wii U.

    Yes, it is a lazy excuse but rather than admit to being lazy the "underpowered" excuse is more useful to keep the public at bay that are wondering why their studio is not bringing games to the Wii U.

    As I said eariler, Saturo Iwata is NOT the right CEO for Nintendo. He knows how to do a few thinsg really well. Platformers and party games. Coincidentally that is why you see so many of them on the WIi and Wii U. HIs whole strategy to "save" the Wii U is to bombard the public with a bunch of platformers and party games this holiday season. I have no doubt that the Wii U sales will pick up during the holiday, but what about after? And what about people who don't want to play those games? Where are the first-person shooters, third-person shooters, survival-horror, racing simulator, RPGs, fighting games, action-adventure, and other genres as such? Since 3rd parties aren't going to make these games for the Wii U, Nintendo needs to be doing ti themselves and is seems as if they aren't even thinking about it.

    When you ask a NIntend executive why these games are not on or coming to the Wii U they just give you some hazy response loaded with spin like..

    "We wouldn't rule out such games in the future....."

    "We are looking into it....."

    "Some of our partners could bring these games to the Wii U in the future.."

    and other comments that tell you nothing.

    I have news for you Nintendo. It ain't sweet no more. You are in trouble. If Saturo Iwata (whom has publicly admitted he doesn't know what to do next and is constantly apoloigizing to investors and games for making the same mistakes over and over again) cannot handle the CEO position he must step down. Nintendo needs a CEO more in touch with the western-market and the modern gamer. It's not too late to fix Nintendo but they are running out of time. Stop being so secretive about what games are in development and just tell the public. Start making games in different genres like you did back in the 1990s. Stop holding back on hardware specs. Making the Wii U less-powerful did absolutely NOTHING to help you because the Wii U still sells at a little bit of a loss while the PS4 which is much more powerful will sell at a profit! That in and of itself would be enough for me to call for a motion of Iwata removal as CEO if I were an investor.

    All and al, stop making excuses and START making games Nintendo. That is all.

  • Report this Comment On July 14, 2013, at 4:14 PM, stephen1671 wrote:

    The only problem with making a revamped version is that the graphics for PS4 and XBOX ONE are not that much, and are barely noticable to the human eye ( and yes, I have seen the difference). The WiiU is the more economic, more bang for your buck console. The only mistake Nintendo made was not shelling out the first-party titles. It is laughable that anyone would say (this is a jab at actual critics and articles) that anyone would think having solid first-party IPS is a bad thing. Sony and Microsoft do not have as many, and many of the games that come out for those systems still come out for PC at a cheaper price. After looking at these proven facts, the one who believes that first party titles are a weakness is made a fool (no pun intended). As long as Nintendo has these strong exclusive IPs, they will always be a strong contender in the video game world.

  • Report this Comment On July 14, 2013, at 4:17 PM, stephen1671 wrote:

    @D2K Prime

    You do realize that Microsoft makes profit from other things totally not related to gaming right. All in All, you werent comparing apples to apples. Come to think of it, the art of fair comparison is a lost one, even amoung professional critics.

  • Report this Comment On July 14, 2013, at 7:01 PM, goliath480 wrote:

    @stephen1671 - He/she was comparing Nintendo against another direct competitor in the same industry. How is that "apples and oranges"?

    You are right, however - the art of fair comparison is long lost. Your own comment dismissing the argument and inserting a strawman is a good example of it.

  • Report this Comment On July 14, 2013, at 8:57 PM, stephen1671 wrote:

    Ummm...I have too much dignity to respond to that. To say Nintendo and Microsoft are both apples...I guess now you want to believe rooster's lay eggs?

  • Report this Comment On July 14, 2013, at 11:34 PM, asinglecomment wrote:

    @stephen1671

    The apples are how much revenue each company rakes in using only video game technology.

    Captain Obvious, out!

  • Report this Comment On July 15, 2013, at 1:59 AM, sypoth wrote:

    @stephen1671 I've read many of your comments and frankly they are laughable at best. 3DS, the handheld that is the single worst selling Nintendo handheld ever produced and having little to no game library to show for it outselling everything? I'm sorry, but nentendon't fanboys like you need a reality check. Do you realize just how much Nintendo has ripped off of other companies? Outside of the NES and the useless glove controller they have literally ripped every last one of their innovations off, that includes the Wii mote which they got sued over, which is why for months there wasn't a single Wii on the shelves.

    Nintendos problems cannot be pegged down to any one thing but their eagerness to push what is literally the same hardware you can get in a PS3 and a 360 as "next Gen" when, and the majority of the gaming community will agree with this, the Wii U is current gen and is simply late to the party. Nintendo is on a gimmick spree, trying to be the first to jump on something that sounds neat but is functionally useless, ever own a Wii? Ever notice it's got a nice coat of dust from non-use on it? The majority of Wii owners do and they've already traded it in. The reason they bought it is the motion controller.

    Nintendo has also isolated 3rd party developers by forcing proprietary codes and certifications onto them in order to develop for the company which is expensive and Nintendo still holds the right to reject the game for release unless they get a say in what it contains and how it should be played. They also have to meet a quota, and developers are tired of this, again most games on the Wii are just clones of other games, seriously how many Wii sports, dance, karaoke, and bejeweled clones do you see on the console versus something that is actually entertaining? Sony and Microsoft have laxer restrictions and not having to map for a motion controller that only gets used half the time is much easier.

    Next is the lack of care Nintendo gives it's customers, the last time the company listened to it's customers and paid attention to the industry led to the creation of the Playstation when they got greedy with Sony over the Nintendo CD. Every thing they have done afterwards was either to add a new gimmick or try and stay in the market in the face of harsher competition and very little effort was made in those aspects. Sony, Microsoft, and yes even Sega when they were still in the running were pushing for the game console to do more than sit there and play games, the Wii is the first of Nintendos consoles to do this by integrating netflix, but Nintendo consistently only puts out what is already on the market and already available to gamers everywhere, they are not inovators or leaders they are followers and they are too blind on how far behind they are it's not funny. Each generation of consoles has had at least one defining advantage over the last that is consistent between every console and manufacturer, the third was 8 bit graphics and locking of 3rd party developers out unless they had a license to produce, fourth was 16-bit graphics and a focus on games for all audiences and not just kids, the fifth was the integration of memory modules to save games on, the sixth was the total use of disk drives, the seventh was HD graphics and multimedia applications, and the eight so far has been blue ray support, online integration, and player interaction. The Wii failed to meet the standards of the seventh gen and the Wii U fails to meet the standards of the eighth generation.

    Nintendo needs a wake up call, either they need to restructure their console market and delivery entirely or retire to the only market they have ever excelled at but only because competition is so sparse they don't really have much to compete with, handhelds. Either that or pull a Sega and just go straight up software only.

  • Report this Comment On July 15, 2013, at 4:34 AM, midarkmind wrote:

    Let me throw out some real knowledge here. I am old enough to remember when the super Nintendo was the hottest ticket on the planet and it was the golden era of gaming. Why? It wasn't the console and features like the power glove. Yeah those were iconic, but iconic is not would sold the system. So that means they were superfluous. When you whet to a friends house to play, the question was this... WHAT GAMES YOU GOT? Nintendo has been playing third fiddle for a long time. The reason is that with the game cube and the 64, they couldn't make either RPGs or similar action based RPGs. If Nintendo, can do what it did before in the 90s, it will give the entire gaming industry a 360 and Nintendo you be laughing all the way to the bank. Its not a risk to invest heavily in games. Fans are tired of waiting. If Nintendo doesn't drop R and D on pushing out serious games. Not graphics mind you. Because you can have a great RPG without xbox 360 graphics. Then Nintendo might as well call in the undertaker, because they would have disappointed people for the last time including themselves. If Nintendo does this and still is not making sales, I know loyal fans will drop the cash and jump into help by staying loyal. Look at what happened Black berry. People hated the brand because after year they were tired of being disappointed. The under taker is coming for them. Nintendo, you will go the way of Sega if you don't push games. Bring back the era of the RPG and you will not only save your company but the faith of gamers. Last chance guys!

  • Report this Comment On July 15, 2013, at 8:42 AM, stephen1671 wrote:

    First of all (trying not to have a heart attack while laughing), you can't call the 3DS the worst selling handheld of all time because...wait for it...ITS STILL ON THE MARKET. By basic principle, you cant weigh in on the verdict of product that is still on the market.

    As to your statement about the game library...you can research numerous game and statistical sights and on can see you are...in a word...WRONG.

    And I am not a Nintendo fanboy. My favorite console for a long time (and on of my favorites to this day) was the original XBOX. The PS3 has done alot of amazing things, especially starting with a rough launch and now surpassing XBOX 360 in units sold worldwide. That in itself is amazing. The gameplay for that system is awesome as well. I have considered buying a PS3 for a long time now. I just can't afford it. The fact is that Nintendo has played third Fiddle in just the home console market. But their continued success in the handheld market has always made their company a top contender in video gaming as a whole. I look at the whole picture...not just what you want to see.

    @midarkmid- Have you ever hear of Super Nintendo?

    @asinglecomment-No...they werent. Basic reading comprehension can tell you that.

    Captain Obvious-WRONG

    Fanboy...not hardly. Just a presenter of facts. Your inability to accept them is yalls problem, not mine.

  • Report this Comment On July 15, 2013, at 2:48 PM, sypoth wrote:

    @stephen1671 Oh yes, a nearly $100 price drop nearly three months after it's release and consistently being outsold by it's predecessor and sales similar to it's main competition the Vita which also has lackluster sales constitutes a success. Both are wait for it... STILL ON THE MARKET despite both of their sales and adoption rate being the lowest of all handhelds.

    Super Nintendo also lost it's generation of consoles to the Genesis which had been out for three years longer and the Wii was the first console to actually make a profit since with Nintendo coasting purely on what it earned from the NES and SNES days as well as their handhelds and the Pokemon franchise, they have admitted this and had the Wii not sold as much as it did they wouldn't be in the console market right now, but it's a case of fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me with consumers right now. Everyone still remembers the fabulous promises of the Wii and the zero delivery on those promises so the consumers having been screwed abandoned the console and don't want to go back to them.

    And reading comprehension and knowing what apples and oranges refers to places any discussion of video game hardware as simply a comparison of apples, apples and oranges would be comparing Nintendo to Ford, apples to apples is Nintendo to Xbox or Playstation, and I am quite well versed in reading comprehension having been reading since I was two. Though comparing Nintendo to Apple is surprisingly accurate as well since both believe in locking their hardware and software to the extent of absurd pointlessness and their proprietary formats, disks, cartridges, controllers, and lack of support for anything 3rd party puts them at a tie for proprietary king.

    The reason the 3ds is still on the market is the same reason the Vita is still on the market, they are pushing for it to be a success by no longer offering the older hardware as a new purchase forcing individuals looking to either replace or upgrade into a little or no choice situation.

    That you are supporting and fighting tooth and nail with only speculation and no real world evidence or facts to support you in favor of Nintendo makes you a disillusioned Fanboy with no sense of reality. Face it, Nintendo is a terrible company with terrible products that don't sell well and they need a massive restructuring to continue to support themselves. As for my real world evidence, something you are unable to provide. Just replace the (dot) with a .

    forbes(dot)com/sites/jasonevangelho/2013/01/30/nintendo-cuts-sales-projections-by-17-based-on-sluggish-wii-u-sales/

    ign(dot)com/articles/2013/03/13/vita-outsells-3ds-in-japan-strong-sales-continue

    gamespot(dot)com/news/nintendo-3ds-will-really-take-off-in-2013-6407176

    note the dates, all of them from 2013.

  • Report this Comment On July 15, 2013, at 3:29 PM, stephen1671 wrote:

    @sypoth

    You know I never said anything about Ninendo not have hurdles or the SNES winning its generation. I never said anything about 3DS not having a bad start. Please show some dignity and not accuse me a stating things that I did not state. Your articles are outdated a couple of months too.

    It is low that you believe this some how justifies argument. That obviously makes you PS3 or XBOX fanboy. If you have a problem with Nintendo and there success personally...go to their website and go to the contact link. Everyone does have right to there own outlook, but do not use outdated data from 4 months ago. I thought this sight actually had comments from informed individuals. Apparently I was wrong.

  • Report this Comment On July 15, 2013, at 5:52 PM, sypoth wrote:

    @stephen1671 I hate the 360 since the new interface and cosntant raping of the customers by not fessing up to their mistakes and find Sony's policies consistently adding new restricting on the PS3 to be bad business practice. I have no intention of getting the eighth generation of consoles. and if I were to be a fan boy of any console it would be the Sega consoles. As for Nintendo being a success? They are as much a success and K-19's maiden voyage. Their stocks are in the toilet and if you believe Nintendo themselves that they are successful then perhaps you also believe that Skylanders is the most profitable game ever and everyone want to buy one rather than go to the store and see the visible layers of dust on the packaging for yourself. You're just butt hurt that someone brought real world facts into your opinionated fanboy fantasy world. That my articles prove you wrong even at four months old and the fit you are throwing is proof enough that the only thing rattling around in the head of yours or have you not been seeing what is going on in the market?

    At this time their sales are -1.09% and they have been on a downward slope for the last four years. Truth is, nobody is buying gimmicks that neither serve a purpose, nor have any real support. With the way things are going Nintendo will be gone from the console market within 8 years and playstation and xbox will be holding on by a thread as pc systems that connect to the TV like the TI-99/4A will once again gain in popularity which is what we are already seeing with the Ouya.

    Now go and crawl back in your little fanboy closet and suck your thumb while having fantasies about Pokemon and telling yourself how great Zelda is when clearly it has just become an overrated jumbled up poorly selling mess.

  • Report this Comment On July 17, 2013, at 1:46 PM, Stealth2k wrote:

    This guy is a moron on nintendo

  • Report this Comment On July 17, 2013, at 1:46 PM, Stealth2k wrote:

    @@stephen1671 your an idiot

  • Report this Comment On July 17, 2013, at 2:24 PM, kevindf wrote:

    They should feel ashamed of themselves for giving this stupid advice. No matter how bad things get for the Wii U, Nintendo still makes billions of dollars in profit annually off their 30% cut of third party software for Wii U, Wii, 3DS and DS. They still have $10 billion in cash piled up, not to mention the fact that just one first party release nets them anywhere between $100 million-$500 million in pure profits. Not even talking about the yen weakening, thus giving them a chance to lower Wii U's price. Advising people to spend money investing on such bad advice like this without doing any research is absolutely shameful and anyone who believes this is an uninformed dolt, simple as that. Not trying to be rude but this is so far out of reach with reality that it is mind boggling. You guys need to do real research and not associate yourselves with garbage like this. This is like saying that Disney should axe the Disney channel and make pilots for FOX, NBC, Nick, despite the fact that they'd lose out on so much money from commercials/advertising.

  • Report this Comment On July 17, 2013, at 6:22 PM, shinta125 wrote:

    Short term profit, long term brand degradation. That's what you're asking Nintendo to do? These are wildly different markets and the F2P model only lasts so long. Games that are F2P in the mobile market will only last about a year before dying off because the whales are bored and gone. Look at Zynga or GREE. GREE is a japanese mobile game company that will be downsizing and will be shutting down all of their UK operations because they are bleeding money on their operations outside of japan. Zynga, well they're doing terribly all over and they are horribly mismanaged. There's a great article on USgamer on how Nintendo succeeds with Animal Crossing and how vastly different their approach is compared to those in the mobile market. That game could never work on iOS or Android without a high price tag and a different philosophy.

    Animal Crossing Succeeds Where Social Games Fail

    http://www.usgamer.net/articles/animal-crossing-succeeds-whe...

  • Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 3:34 PM, stefanog1 wrote:

    Stop the fighting just stop. Fanboys of all companies just listen. There is no stocks in the toilet no companies are gonna fail so just think for a second because I have news for all fanboys groups. Xbox guys u need to see that graphics aren't what makes a console so just stop using it as an excuse to hate other consoles and that the 360 was successful yes but why? Because first person shooters are in and 360 had tons and so it might be the same way with the Xbone. But it might change because the times change people might not like shooters any more and move on. Sony guys the PS3 was successful for a different reason and that is exclusives like Uncharted and Infamous the blu ray player and the PSN network that let u play old play station games. The PS4 might have that same PSN store and release PS2 games which made the PS2 the greatest console of all time. The PS4 will probably be successful because of this. Nintendo guys including me Nintendo has been around since the 80s and has been successful ever since because of its fun exclusives and imaginative gameplay and so it will pick up with speed soon enough Earthbound the greatest rpg came out and pikmin 3 is on the way so the WiiU won't fail it will live so Sony and Microsoft remember this Nintendo invented video games and the Xbox and play station would not exist without them. That is all enjoy playing games!

Add your comment.

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2535225, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 10/26/2014 2:30:12 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...


Advertisement