Verizon Edges in on AT&T and T-Mobile

Better late than never. Following a leaked internal document earlier this week, Verizon (NYSE: VZ  ) Wireless has made its new Edge program official. Edge is Big Red's new early upgrade program that hopes to compete with T-Mobile (NYSE: TMUS  ) Jump and AT&T (NYSE: T  ) Next.

Verizon Edge is fairly straightforward. There are no contracts or fees, and Verizon is offering a payment plan to finance the device. Customers can upgrade after six months so long as they've paid for 50% of the retail price. There is no subsidy to speak of, and Edge is geared toward customers who shun service contracts. The new plans launch at the end of August.

Verizon doesn't explicitly mention trading in the used device, but this is a given. If you've only paid for half of the device, you can bet Verizon wants it back so it can resell it. Verizon's plan is more similar to AT&T's in that there's no monthly fee just to participate, and that the only requirement to upgrade is that you've paid a sizable portion of the device cost.

AT&T spreads out the device's price over 20 months, while Verizon splits it into 24 monthly payments. Neither program requires a down payment, undercutting T-Mobile in upfront costs. AT&T effectively requires customers to pay for 60% of the cost (12 months out of 20), while Verizon will accept 50%.

Verizon says you can upgrade after six months, but if you do so, you'll find yourself on the hook to pay the difference. After six months, you've only paid 25% of the price, so you'll need to pay the difference out of pocket if you want to upgrade. On a $600 smartphone, that'll cost you $150 if you want to upgrade immediately after six months.

The real kicker is the service plan. T-Mobile now unbundles the service cost from the device cost. AT&T and Verizon are hoping that customers stay on the pricier service tiers, which are priced to include a subsidy recovery. If customers choose the pricier plans, even on a month-to-month basis, AT&T and Verizon effectively get to charge higher prices without shelling out a subsidy.

On the prepaid front, excluding device costs, it's a little more even. Verizon and AT&T both offer unlimited talk and text plans with 2 GB of data for prepaid customers for $60 per month. T-Mobile's comparable $60 plan includes 2.5 GB of high-speed data, although it allows unlimited data beyond that at slower speeds.

Big Red's move signals the third carrier to adopt a new early upgrade program, and now Sprint is the only national carrier left to unveil a similar offering. With all other three rivals launching upgrade programs, Sprint will inevitably follow suit.

If you're an investor who prefers returns to rhetoric, you'll want to read The Motley Fool's new free report, "5 Dividend Myths... Busted!" In it, you'll learn which stocks provide premium growth, and whether bigger dividends are better. Click here to keep reading.

 

Read/Post Comments (1) | Recommend This Article (1)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On July 19, 2013, at 10:30 AM, AceOfSaves wrote:

    "After six months, you've only paid 25% of the price, so you'll need to pay the difference out of pocket if you want to upgrade. On a $600 smartphone, that'll cost you $150 if you want to upgrade immediately after six months."

    If 25% is paid and one is to pay the remaining 75% on a $600 smartphone, shouldn't it cost that person $450 (instead of $150)?

    - AoS

Add your comment.

DocumentId: 2545276, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 4/19/2014 1:22:59 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...


Advertisement