You Won't Believe Who the Largest Homeowner in America Is

In the following video, host Chris Hill sits down with Motley Fool analyst Austin Smith to talk about housing trends in the United States. Austin tells investors about the huge surge in private-equity homeownership and discusses the one company that's the largest homeowner in the United States. He then tells us how this correlates to a huge increase in home rentals over individual homeownership, and he gives us a few of his picks for how investors can play a spike in single-family home rentals.

Millions of Americans have waited on the sidelines since the housing market meltdown in 2008 and 2009, too scared to invest and put their money at further risk. Yet those who've stayed out of the market have missed out on huge gains and put their financial futures in jeopardy. In our brand-new special report, "Your Essential Guide to Start Investing Today," The Motley Fool's personal finance experts show you why investing is so important and what you need to do to get started. Click here to get your copy today -- it's absolutely free.

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 5:21 PM, don1941t wrote:

Where is the transcript of the video?

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 6:01 PM, JePonce wrote:

Without looking one can guess it is Fannie Mae.

Housing arm of you know who, and a primary player in the demise of our housing and credit markets.

When the Treasury and when the bipartisan Congressional Budget Office warned Congress to take control or privatize Fannie or there would be an economic disaster, the Fannie Foundation made mega 6-figure donations to Congressional campaigns, with the largest going to then Senator Obama. In essence, Fannie bought them off.

It is a matter of public record.

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 7:08 PM, Dadw5boys wrote:

Blackstone buying single family homes to rent and evenutally sell ! How can they afford the Insurance on them all ?

Do they get some kind of break the Private Home Owner does not ?

Are the Self Insuranced ?

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 7:46 PM, xyzxyzxyza wrote:

Since it seems quite obvious that JePunk is not a fan of our current President and that since he is so smart (lol) that he didnt bother to listen to the first minute of the video. People like that should not be allowed to comment. Regardless of what you feel or think about the President, I believe he has done a decent job of bringing this country back from the brink especially considering the effectiveness of the Republicans in both Houses of Congress. Way to work for Americans, boys!

• Report this Comment On July 20, 2013, at 11:13 PM, ceh4702 wrote:

Saying that people who disagree with the president should not be allowed to post is Hate Speech. The president has no clue what a budget is or what it means to earn money. He is just some hood trying to use Chicago thug politics to run a country. He does not even believe in free speech or a free market economy. How long has the federal govt been counterfeiting money to buy back bonds? This is Corporate welfare. Romney was right about many things including the 47% statement he made. The chickens are coming home to roost.

• Report this Comment On July 21, 2013, at 12:09 AM, xyzxyzxyza wrote:

Actually, JimBob ceh4702, since you assumed incorrectly that I referred to the previous Bubba hating the President - I was referring to him not knowing what was said in the video since he wasnt smart enough to take 60 seconds to listen. But you have really responded the same way with hate toward the President - because you dont like him either. Get over it, he won twice, and I have prospered as the country is recovering. I am OK with where we are because I can not imagine where we would be with Johnny and the half-Governor. God Bless the United States of America.

• Report this Comment On July 21, 2013, at 12:48 AM, Bobbyp2255 wrote:

I didnt watch one second of the video nor am I overly politically in the know, but when you hear that the president of the United States of America earned his senate seat through the very people that he condemed during the first campaign I really dont know who to trust anymore. Definatley not a politician, and surely not the liberal media. (by the way I am a registered dem but consider myself a true moderate)

Anyway to the point, this housing crunch that we went through has many many many fingers that can be pointed with and at. The real question is what is being done to prevent it from happening again and what is being done to ensure that the market becomes stable, strong and real. I lost a house and have been fortunate enough to be able to buy again but I surely dont want to ever have to go through that again. My home is my long term investment. If I cant sell my home for what I paid for it who is to blame?

• Report this Comment On July 21, 2013, at 1:03 AM, grahamsway wrote:

Dadw5boys,

I don't know for a fact but I'm guessing that they are probably self-insuring. Given the different locations its easier for them to setup or they probably already have a subsidiary just for insuring their other investments.

I think you're right about them having a selling intent. I don't know their properties specifically but I looked up some other institutional buyers portfolio's and was very surprised at the age and relatively low prices they paid for their supply.

Assuming Blackstone's similar, I'd tend to doubt their willingness to hold these properties long term.

• Report this Comment On July 21, 2013, at 10:59 AM, regopark wrote:

Oh - I thought this article was about Oprah.

DocumentId: 2547229, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 4/16/2014 9:35:14 AM