A Gamer's Perspective on Microsoft Earnings

Everyone knows that tech giant Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT  ) didn't have a very good earnings announcement the other week. Though investors focused on the poor performances of the Surface RT and Windows 8, all eyes should be on the underappreciated gaming division. After all, the new Xbox One will be Microsoft's next big product rollout, which means the more investors learn about it now, the more they can profit later.

In this video, Motley Fool blog editor Mark Reeth dives into Microsoft's earnings to give you the scoop about what's happening within the company as the Xbox 360 fades out and the Xbox One comes into the limelight. Mark also talks about Microsoft's console competitor Sony (NYSE: SNE  ) and how the company looks heading toward the release of its new PS4, as well as how Nintendo's (NASDAQOTH: NTDOY  ) newest console can't seem to pick up steam.

It's incredible to think just how much of our digital and technological lives are almost entirely shaped by just a handful of companies like Microsoft. Find out "Who Will Win the War Between the 5 Biggest Tech Stocks?" in The Motley Fool's latest free report, which details the knock-down, drag-out battle being waged by the five kings of tech. Click here to keep reading.

• Report this Comment On July 27, 2013, at 10:19 PM, normgarry wrote:

Isn't it funny that whenever corporate executives are in charge - rather than experts in the field - that whatever is being run is forced to become cheaper and show profits - only so the entire company can be run into the ground and a select few can retire comfortably with golden parachutes?

I am 32 years old and I've been a gamer since 85. I HAVE NEVER seen more conjecture and corporate rambling about video games than I have with the Xbox1 vs. PS4 war.

Now we're dealing with a situation where media giants are using "microtransactions" (selling us DLC at every turn) to keep their cash flowing and profits record-breaking.

Now we have to listen to corporate talking heads yammering about every single fart Microsoft made.

They screwed up with Windows8 and its cost the market big time - to the point every other day there is a piece about "The Death of the PC" (which will won't happen so long as Microsoft Office and hardcore gaming PCs are required).

Microsoft's decision to use more DRM is merely a way to cater to the game producers who want their cut of game sales secured, but due to piracy and leakage can't. XBOX360 had far superior games to the PS3. (Gran Turismo was PS3's highest seller with under 11 million units). If DRM is a way to ensure better games instead of sequels and rehashes then I WELCOME IT.

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2013, at 12:20 AM, truedats wrote:

with as many stories Montley Fool does on Microsoft I have to believe they are getting kickbacks from them for advertising.

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2013, at 12:30 AM, truedats wrote:

"In the old days, companies like SEGA and NINTENDO fought to get their products to market - innovating at every turn to coax money out of my parent's pockets. It was survival of the fittest and games either got better, or the companies behind them went extinct and had their doors shuttered. "

Not exactly true the first console wars was with Atari and Celeco Vision. with Atari winning a court settlement against Celeco for copy write infringement. when Celeco created an adapter that could play Atari games on there console. this also was the beginning of the downfall of P2P file sharing 20 plus years prior to the internet.

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2013, at 2:32 AM, Vitabrits wrote:

Just because a company back-peddles on a policy doesn't mean they won't reinstate it. M$ft would NEVER say that due to liability reasons which means it will happen post-launch.

Any "adult" gamer with sensibility would be "foolish" to fall for that PR ploy.

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2013, at 2:43 AM, Bunnyking77 wrote:

With the self publishing friendly platforms of all 3 major console manufacturers, I hope that the business model in gaming changes soon.

Developers need to find ways to cut out these middle man publishers who pay out millions to their CEOs while the real talent (game developers and artist) get paid a tiny fraction.

DRM is just another way to control content and one more way for publishers to stick it to consumers.

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2013, at 2:43 AM, stefanog1 wrote:

How good games are is really an opinion. I think the PS3 has better games compared to Xbox because I hate COd and Halo. I like Final Fantasy and Uncharted. Nintendo is even better with Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Pikmin and the legendary Earthbound but that's just my opinion. A company to sell their hardware need software that appeals to the consumer. If u aren't selling what the consumer wants in software they are not gonna buy the hardware. It's simple and an easy rule to follow and everyone can shut and focus on what a game console is for maybe the Ps4 and Xbone would look more appealing.

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2013, at 3:25 AM, mikeonewpatz42 wrote:

a non gamer insulted gamers in his first sentence, then trashed "steam"s summer sale for no clear reason since it was great this year. I bought 10 games for less than $50 that would have otherwise cost me closer to $200. also note that many of Steam's games are Microsoft exclusive or at least heavily favor Microsoft on one level or the other.

this site has a terrible habit of not properly citeing video game properties. either by as in this article citeing a precived lack in steam sales during a sale as a blow against Microsoft, or by calling WoW an ActivisionBlizzard game rather than the correct Blizzard game. one produces hard copies of games, the other produces intellectual property. they are two distinct but overlapping beings.

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2013, at 4:49 AM, Asmodeus1971 wrote:

normgarrySorry I call BS you are 32 and saying you have been a gamer since you were 4? More likely today but doubtful in the 80s. I'm 42 and got my first game system in 83. Parents just didn't put that kind of money out in electronics for four year olds. Parents don't really today because today most parents grew up with the suff and just use the 4 year old for an excuse to get it but that wasn't the case in 1985.

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2013, at 6:27 AM, iggy452001 wrote:

Yeah, I'm almost 35, I've got an older brother, and we both started on the Atari 2600. So I can honestly say, I've been around for a while.

Gaming is not always about Innovation, take the Sega Saturn for an example, it had all the markings of the Xbox 360 and PS3 generation, but was ten years too early, including online capabilities.

As far as the flip flop of M$, yes I would be weary. I was one of those who was hit in 2008 by the M$ ban campaign, where anyone who modded their system got the axe. Luckily I was within the first round, so my hard drive was left intact, unlike those who got hit during the second round. The thing that drove the Xbox, and made people look at the 360 was the fact that you could alter it very much like a computer, and Sony had a machine that was too tough to crack. Then mid-game a new policy hit, and our machine's were thrashed by the company. I paid my XBL fee, so I paid, as well as for the system.

This generation, with all the changes in direction M$ has made, the PS4 and Xbone look almost identical, with the exception being the PS4 is slightly more powerful, and the Xbone is packaged with the Kinnect. It should also be noted that the PSeye can be purchased for 50 bucks, so that the total price difference is actually 50 dollars in favor of the PS4.

As far as exclusives, PS3 has gone out of their way to develop a large line-up of exclusive IPs, from every genre. M$ has their own, but the numbers are dwarfed by PS3. I would site just this year alone in the number of exclusives launched, and those coming. Whereas the other team seems to be winding down and switching over to focus solely on the next gen.

To each their own, and I"m quite tired of all these M$ articles. It was funny at first, but now its gone on too long, and become too ridiculous.