The 2014 Chevy Impala Is a Game-Changer

2014 Chevrolet Impala. Photo: General Motors.

The financial collapse in 2008 threw a wrench into the plans of Detroit automakers, and the subsequent drastic decline in auto sales forced bankruptcies upon General Motors (NYSE: GM  ) and Chrysler, while Ford (NYSE: F  ) scraped by after taking out loans that totaled more than $23 billion. Reality immediately changed for executives of Detroit's Big Three automakers; they realized that vehicle development couldn't revolve only around SUVs and trucks. Since then, Ford has produced several successful small vehicles: the Fiesta, Focus, and Fusion.

Finally, GM has the beginning of a big success story of its own in the 2014 Impala.

High praise
Consumer Reports magazine has been praising domestic automakers recently, which is a big improvement from decades past. It recently named GM's 2014 Chevrolet Impala its top-ranking sedan; it's the first time an American vehicle has held that spot in 20 years. Only the Tesla Model S and BMW 135i coupe have scored higher -- and both come at a much higher cost than the Impala.

"The Impala's performance is one more indicator of an emerging domestic renaissance," Jake Fisher, director of Consumer Reports automotive testing, said in a statement, according to Detroit News.

GM's Impala also received the highest possible five-star overall vehicle score from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's new-car assessment program.

"Safety is a key consideration for all car buyers, and Impala sets a new benchmark for Chevrolet's flagship sedan," said Gay Kent, GM general director of vehicle safety and crashworthiness, in a GM press release. "The 2014 Chevrolet Impala is designed to provide excellent crash safety, and offers customers several safety technologies not previously available in Chevrolets."

Highlights
The 2014 Impala has an all new interior and exterior and packs enough technology and options with a competitive price to make a splash in the market. The interior has more front and rear legroom and hosts an 8-inch touchscreen with the Chevrolet MyLink infotainment system. The Impala also has three powertrains that can deliver a range between performance and efficiency with a quieter ride on the interior to boot.

Interior of a 2014 Chevrolet Impala. Photo Credit: General Motors.

The all-new exterior has a bolder design, with a sleeker frame and body, HID headlamps, and LED daytime running lamps -- on LTZ models. Additional features available include:

• Remote start.
  • Keyless starting.
  • Heated steering wheel.
  • Power tilting steering column with memory.
  • Dual-zone climate control.
  • Heated and ventilated front seats.
  • Extra storage options.
  • Bose surround-sound audio system.

Investing takeaway
The 2014 Impala is going to be a game-changer for GM for a couple of reasons. Last year the bulk of Impala sales -- nearly 70%, according to Automotive News -- went to rental and fleet customers, which aren't as profitable and lower the resale value of the vehicle. The new Impala, which launched in April, is going to reverse that trend and was designed for the retail market, which means that GM will improve its profitability and resale value going forward.

GM also expects the large sedan to steal some sales from the luxury and mid-size segments. GM desperately needs successful small and large sedans, because the Malibu and Impala saw the two largest declines in U.S. sales out of the 20 top vehicles sold. Sales of the Malibu are down 21.4% through June, and the Impala is down 15.3%. It's even worse for GM, as crosstown rival Ford has churned out popular fuel-efficient rides in the Focus, Fusion, and Fiesta.

The Impala looks to change that in the second half of 2013 and will probaby surge up the ranks next year -- much to the delight of GM investors anticipating that new vehicles will bring sales and market share back.

Investing in the automaker best poised for a rebound could bring you large profits. There's one future trend that will set certain automakers apart, which is explained in a recent Motley Fool report, "2 Automakers to Buy for a Surging Chinese Market." It names two global giants poised to reap big gains that could drive healthy rewards for investors. You can read this report right now for free -- just click here for instant access.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 10:35 AM, dragsno wrote:

Go ahead...buy one...drink the coolaid of consumer reports and support the Obama Stimulous which GM is still spending. And remember that Ford has better engines better technology

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 10:37 AM, sabebrush6 wrote:

I went shopping for a new car for my wife and the first place I went was to see the new Mopars & Fords. I thought I might as well take a look at the new Chevy's also. Chevy Impala's and Malibu's have them hands down. No contest. That new Impala is awsome. I hope they come out with a 2-door sport coupe. I will buy one of those for me also.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 10:39 AM, TMFTwoCoins wrote:

@dragsno I'm a Ford guy, and always will be. But that said, regardless of the bailout, their new vehicles are a vast improvement from old GM.

@sabebrush6 I heard bad things about the Malibu but haven't checked it out personally yet. But I was impressed with the new Impala for sure. They still have some work to do with new models and cross-town rival Ford has yet to have a dud in its new vehicle lineup.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 10:45 AM, E85Prices wrote:

Agree the 2014 Impala is a great car.. for the Money there isn't anything even close.

It feels like a luxury car not a middle class sedan..

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 10:55 AM, sabre992 wrote:

I think the term "game changer" should be banned from the english speaking world, along with "gun violence", and my personal favorite, "kick the can down the road".

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 11:03 AM, calkool wrote:

New Impala is pretty kool car. Awesome interior and muscular exterior look...I bought it a month ago my first GM car...Enjoying best ride ever...I liked the most its infotainment system..big screen in front...GO GM

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 11:09 AM, camike1948 wrote:

I have a 2011 Chevy Impala and I love it. It has all the extra's and is much less expensive than the luxury cars. It is like having a luxury car but not paying the price.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 11:16 AM, RFN98 wrote:

My wife had a Honda Accord, great car. Then she got a job that included a company car - a Ford Fusion, which was an even better car than the Accord, we both loved it. Last summer, I had a Malibu as a long-term rental for a work assignment, I was extremely impressed. My wife changed jobs, we needed a car for her and ended up with a Chrysler product. I think its great that Americans have the choices we do, but we are back to "All American" with our autos, I am proud of the quality that has been restored to Ford/GM & Chrysler.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 11:23 AM, normgarry wrote:

I just bought a brand-new Chrysler SRT8 with the 392 HEMI 6.4-Liter.

I like the Impala because it has more interior space. Unfortunately there's almost no performance in it at all unless you wait for the SS.

The Impala is a lower-end Cadillac XTS.

Pricing seems fair. The lack of all-wheel-drive will hurt sales though.

Right now CHRYSLER has the most well-rounded fleet of full-size cars under $50,000. Whether it's the Charger or the 300 you can get them with all-wheel-drive, a strong V6 with 8-speed, AWD, a V8 or a high performance V8.

youtube.com/watch?v=SjfeO72cuPU

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 11:29 AM, cinnamoncolbert wrote:

I test drove the Impala on Thursday, Aug 1 2013

terrible visibility thru rear window

Boat like ride

wierd sort of leather like interior with a lot of stiching and overlapps at the seams that to me are dirt magnets, ie impossile to keep clean

but the biggest thing here, which no one bothers to talk about:

we know that an accord, camry or avalon will run forever - 10 years with minimal maintenence

we can't know how reliable the impala will be for another few years, so it should be a lot cheaper: you have to pay for expected extra repairs

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 11:29 AM, mystyblue wrote:

Nice car! Love everything it has. My chevy Malibu Maxx has a remote start, I can't live without it. So, what is the gas mileage on this new car? Will a 6ft 4" 300 pound man fit in the front seat and be able to drive it? the problem with todays cars, is they are designed BY and therefore FOR short people with short legs. The car company's may have better sales if they keep in mind there are a lot of very tall people that CAN'T fit in their cars. Lesson 101 as to why truck sales and large SUV sales are booming.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 11:32 AM, alandicho wrote:

I think this is just politically driven. Consumer Reports you have been kissing Toyota's behind for years/decades and all of a sudden have a change of heart?

Is this Obama's work again????

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 11:32 AM, lonerebel wrote:

funny american made ,nope sorry new impala 2014 made in canada ,,watched a documentary..so there goes ur americam made car ...

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 11:36 AM, gweir wrote:

I buy American and own a 2006 Impala SS, with the 5.3 V8 (305 hp / 326 ft/lbs torque engine) with the 'Displacement On Demand' that drops to 4cyl mode when cruising down the freeway, or even on city streets. This isn't new (came out in the 80's), but it's been perfected and I don't even feel the transition between 8/4 cyl modes. On freeway driving I can get mid-high 20's mpg, and generally get 20-22 mpg with combined city/hwy driving.

Nonetheless, it's been a reliable car, is loaded with all the options (that all work), is fast and will out-run most sedans on the road, including the BMW's. I'm not sure if it still is, but was rated as the most powerful front-wheeled vehicle. I would have preferred it to be a rear-wheel drive, but have learned to accept that it isn't.

As an owner of an Impala, I'm now interested to see this new model, and have heard nothing but good things about it. Glad to see all American car companies stepping up their game, including Ford and Chrysler.

BTW, I also own a 19 year old Ford Bronco and it runs and looks great (even though the mpg isn't so good).

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 11:43 AM, wscarp1 wrote:

The Impala sounds good, but the big question is how well it holds up. Reliability is unknown.

Also,the base engine isn't powerful enough for such a large car.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 11:44 AM, seufert wrote:

I love it!!! Nissan continues to be the red-headed step child of the Japanese automakers. Has anyone looked at the 2013 Altimas??? All I can say is wow!!! 38 mpg with a 180 hp engine or if you like speed you have the 270 hp V-6 engine that gets 31mpg. All the options listed on the Impala have been on the Altima for years. Give the Altima a try and you won't be sorry. Oh yeah it is cheaper than the Impala!!

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 11:45 AM, wscarp1 wrote:

GM is finally in the right ball park. It took near collapse before they started making competitive cars. They will have to prove their reliability before I would ever buy one again.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 11:47 AM, rbreau1 wrote:

Reminds me of the junk Chrysler made years ago. Shiny tin but no substance....I bought my last GM in 1983 and wonder if the salesman is still laughing at my complaints!

Those German and Japanese cars I had after that GM junk provided me good service and if I had even the smallest problem the dealer fixed it almost immediately.

Nothing but Ford or foreign products in my life!

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 11:50 AM, normgarry wrote:

The impala is a large car but it's really nothing more than a lower end Cadillac XTS.

CHRYSLER has a more well-rounded line of full-sized cars for less than $50,000.

They have a strong V-6 engine available with an eight speed transmission and AWD.

They have a strong V-8 engine available with an eight speed transmission and AWD.

And they have a high performance V-8 engine in rearwheel drive (SRT8).

I just purchased a brand new CHRYSLER SRT8 after trading in my first-generation SRT8. Although the 6.4 L engine is a gas guzzler - this car is fantastic!!!

I'm just glad that the American companies are back on their game!

Take a look at my SRT8 and my STROKER 440 engine on youtube:

watch?v=SjfeO72cuPU

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 12:13 PM, lauren9551 wrote:

The problem the impala is it looks alot like the taurus! Take a step back and look. If you want a large car with try SHO-Taurus!! The Taurus has more leg room and trunk space. Another time GM tries to model itself after a ford to compete and it just doesn't.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 12:18 PM, reallyterrible wrote:

Seems to me no matter how fuel efficient, more horsepower, ammenities all the new cars have over the classics. I just cant see anyone 50 years from now going to a swap meet looking for a heated steering wheel for their "restored" 2014 Impala

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 12:38 PM, Bshannon76 wrote:

I bought the 09 Impala It is the single biggest p.o.s I have ever bought I will never buy Chevy again.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 12:43 PM, ponchoman49 wrote:

I love all the misinformation and anger driven comments in here. As the owner of two Impalas over the years a 2000 and now a 2008, I would buy another in a heartbeat. The 2000 had over 170K miles and my current 2008 has 110K. With but a battery change, alternator, tires and brakes etc both have been problem free and very reliable. The bull that American made cars don't last is pure bogus and anybody that listens to posters like dragsno are missing out on one of the best sedans on the road.

BTW my folks also have a 2008 and my best friend has a 2006 with well over 100k and both have been reliable and run perfect. Why else do you think law enforcement uses these cars and they last and last through years of abuse!

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 12:46 PM, ponchoman49 wrote:

Lauren9551 the current Taurus does not have more legroom than the new Impala. Go look it up and get your facts straight. Also get a pair of glasses because this looks nothing like the fat tall dumpy Taurus. Also the goofy Taurus has a massive space robbing front console that kills what front seat space this car has so the Impala ends up roomier up front also.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 1:08 PM, vicdoc wrote:

So Ford borrows $23 billion to stay in business, while it costs the taxpayer a net $25 billion to bail GM out in the Obama bankruptcy arrangement. And the bond holders of GM were screwed to pay for the union pensions. If a car company gets $50 billion in bailouts from the taxpayer, they had better make some good cars. I already paid into GM and Chrysler by the force of government. I'm going to get a US made car, like a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry... Note: GM sells 1400 Volts a month, at a net cost to the taxpayer of $100,000+ per car... GM should resurrect the Pontiac Aztek, they'd make more money on that steaming heap!

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 1:12 PM, greyhound44 wrote:

And, where are the components made?

China? Mexico? Canada?

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 1:14 PM, yahoouser4529 wrote:

I agree. I'm a Toyota owner all my life but the 2014 impala sounds and looks very impressive. Tremendous improvement in front leg room. Remarkable comeback by GM

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 1:18 PM, greyhound44 wrote:

I'll keep my 2002 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon (purchased new in June 2001 for cash and $500. off MSRP) with 37,790 mi this AM for another decade.

ret expat MD

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 1:22 PM, Vaporiz wrote:

Ford makes crappy motors

1993 Mustang GT 5.0L only 205hp, is this Muscle?

1995 Oldsmobile 88 your grandma's V6 200hp

1998 Camaro Z28 327hp underrated

1998 Mustang GT 225hp

2009 Mustang GT 300hp weaker than Camaro 12 years ago

2010 Camaro V6 315hp V6

It took Ford until 2009 to get 300hp from 4.6L for Mustang but GM 4.6L OHC made 300hp in 1992, called northstar

The New mustangs tear themself up trying to make power. peak piston speed is 82.58mph @redline faster than a Formula1 engine @17,000rpm with forged titanium rods, like some camaro engines

Ford still uses sintered rods in Mustang like they used in 1987 Ford Escort 1.9L, while Chevy Drop Forged & ball Peen Forges rods. Ford has to order those kinds of rods from Manley to make a BOSS engine. BOSS engine takes 2.5 hours of machine work on the head & aftermarket internals to get to 444hp but loses torque

but LS3 is only a camshaft away from 525hp & gain a lot of torque. 525hp LS3 with better cam part #19301360

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 1:25 PM, Vaporiz wrote:

Ford can't even make a GT500 engine block, they have to order them from Honsel in germany

Ford can't even make the critical internals for GT500 or BOSS, they have to order them from Manley & Mahle, while Chevy makes the same type of parts in house at much lower cost

Remember the 2002 ZL1 with 720hp, without a supercharger or 2011 ZL1 750hp

GM even designed the supercharger on GT500, Eaton manufactures it but GM has the most patents

Ford has no engineering talent or skill

2013 GT500 @15psi Boost is 11.6L effective displacement

2013 ZL1 @7psi 580hp

2013 ZL1 @15psi makes 790hp with performance package

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 1:26 PM, Tughillbill wrote:

They surely have taken notice of the Hyundai designs. I think the Impala looks like a "spittin' image". I'll stick with the Koreans !!!!

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 1:31 PM, av8tionut wrote:

@greyhound - the answer is D: all of the above.

I'm glad GM is shaking the 80s, 90s and even 00s crap they put out. The last GM vehicle I purchased was in 94, and that was a Pontiac Firebird Trans Am (my third one). I outgrew it (or grew up), and wanted a fun to drive, powerful mid-sized sedan that was rear wheel drive. GM and Ford had nothing to offer in that class - it was all front wheel drive crap. Traded that car in on '99 BMW 535i, which was later traded in on back-to-back Infinity G sedans, the second of which I'm still driving. Point being, had GM or Ford (or even Chrysler) offered a mid-sized RWD platform like this, I'd have given them a serious look instead of spending the last 15 years buying foreign. For decades American manufacturers tried copying European and Japanese engineering, innovation, and quality, but always came up short. Welcome back America!

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 1:33 PM, gweir wrote:

Sure, Japanese (and even Korean) cars have come a long way from being those disposa-cars they used to be. Still, there's an old saying with 'car guys'; the THINEST book in the world is the book on collectible Japanese cars. Okay, the Z-cars and GT-R from Nissan, the Supras from Toyota,and NSX from Acura may be in that book, but not many others.

I buy American, and as former aircraft technician, do most of the repairs and maintenance on my cars (and rarely take them to the dealer). My 2006 Impala SS (5.3 V8 - 305hp/326 ft-lbs of torque) will snap your head back and will out-run most sedans on the road. Unlike those 'whiney' rice-burners, it has that deep, 'throaty' V8 sound coming out of the dual exhaust. Plus, it's comfortable, roomy and fits my family, yet is as 'hot-rod' as a family sedan can be.

And, my 1994 Ford Bronco still looks and runs great (mpg aside on the truck), and know Ford make a great product, particularly trucks. But, it's about keeping up on the maintenance, and I've always gotten high-mileage out of all my American cars. While the cost of parts for foreign cars have come down, they still tend to be more expensive than for American vehicles (which I find easier to work on too).

Nonetheless, you're always going to have those people who refuse to try American cars or claim to have had 'bad luck' and other issues, and bad-mouth them so they choose to own nothing but foreign cars (partly for prestige too).

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 1:57 PM, al12345678912345 wrote:

It looks just like a Hyundai Sonata but will cost you 7 to ten thousand more depending on model and extras.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 1:57 PM, StockgeniusII wrote:

Chevrolet and apple pie! American made and rated the best in the world. World class call the way! Chevrolet Impala! Better then any European or Japanese cars costing $90,000 or more!

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 2:03 PM, shawnm64 wrote:

Chevy has always had more horsepower than Ford,and has always been much less dependable,and has never got the power to the ground as good as any Mopar product, even with that extra horse,seems as if many mechanical people on here know about shop work and still don,t care that We the People had to save this junk company as Ford made profits because of it,s better design team and technological advancements in dependability overall .

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 2:30 PM, DAK11 wrote:

I've been in the car/truck business for year. The new 2014 Impala is not really as much as "Game Changer". What it is, however, a vastly improved vehicle. The previous model was old and a bit outdated technology. The new model is far more modern technology from GM. This will all help GM bottom-line and may gain customers.

Some people insist on insulting foreign made vehicles from Germany and Japan. It has been my experience that both foreign manufactured vehicles are some of the finest manufactured vehicles available.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 2:35 PM, ScottNort wrote:

As a mechanic, I have my reservations about this car, as it is so new. I service all kinds of cars and have seen my share of Chevy products over the last 4 years. Enough to the point that I question whether or not the Impala will be reliable. Maybe it will be reliable, but I can assure I service more Chevy and Hyundai cars than anything else, with Dodge right behind them. In terms of reliability, which is all I can speak on based upon experience, I would caution people. As I looked at the specs, I would also be very concerned about the engine size for this car. It seems small and this will almost certainly create problems down the road.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 2:50 PM, speculawyer wrote:

Three messages mentioning Obama. Jeez, let it go! Obama has nothing to do with this story at all. The right has got to stop having paranoid conspiracy theories about everything.

GM is on a roll lately . . . this highly rated Impala looks nice. The Chevy Spark EV is a peppy little EV available for less than $20K after incentives. Go USA.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 3:03 PM, herride wrote:

I bought a 2014 Impala in June without having checked any reviews. In fact I wasn't car shopping, and no, I was bamboozled by a smooth talking salesman. I had to actually get someone's attention to talk to me about the Impala. The design/stance is what first caught my eye, safety features second, interior roominess and trunk space third. The test drive clinched the deal. I live in a mountainous area and this Impala is no "gutless" wonder. Depending on the day, duties or mood I have 3 GM products to choose from: Silverado, Corvette and now Impala. GM, I trust them.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 3:09 PM, emjayay wrote:

It's a bit frustrating that this site doesn't have a "reply" function, so here's a group reply:

Commenting about how all Fords have less power or how some Impala from years ago sucked or you'll never buy whatever again because of some car you had years ago or Ford has "no engineering skill or talent" (really?) or how the Impala reminds you of "the junk Chrysler made years ago. Shiny tin but no substance" based on a photo apparently and how you bought your last GM car thirty years ago......all totally irrelevant and/or baseless and all wasting everyone's time.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 3:11 PM, bugmenot wrote:

Never buy GM junk. How is this POS Impala going to be a game changer? All those features are commonly standard in mid-size sedans nowadays.

Their previous Impala was a complete POS that had dashboards falling apart, oil leaking, and radiators breaking from overheating. Their FWD V8 was so slow that even a V6 Toyota Camry could outrun it.

There's a reason why the Japanese follow the Kaizen theory: which is philosophy or practices that focus upon continuous improvement of processes in manufacturing, engineering, and business management.

Another disposable cars from the desperate Government Motors.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 3:13 PM, emjayay wrote:

About where the Impala is built: GM's Detroit-Hamtramck, Mich., and Oshawa, Ontario facilities. I think the Ontario production started first. But even the most American built and designed vehicle, the Ford 150 pickup, has various parts from Mexico and Canada and other foreign countries. It's the way things are these days.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 3:17 PM, bobpier60 wrote:

As a driver for one of the "rental customers" I drive many different models every week. The moment my co-workers and I got into one of these new Impalas we knew it was going to be a nice ride. The driver that day is a 6' plus 300 lb guy and he fit in the car nicely, so size is not an issue. The rest of us piled in and the car was very nice and roomy for everyone. It drives great, has all the bells and whistles, and is much less expensive than many of the same size cars offered by other companies. This car is a definite winner!!

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 3:21 PM, emjayay wrote:

When did Impala last or ever have a FWD V8? Not lately.

"Another disposable cars from the desperate Government Motors."

Some recent GM models don't seem to be disposable, as they are rated highly for reliability by Consumer Reports and J D Powers.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 3:28 PM, emjayay wrote:

Japanese kaizen and other management practices were mostly learned from the late American management guru Deming. His ideas fit in well with Japanese culture. American companies have picked up on most of those ideas since then.

On the other hand, those excellent practices did not keep Nissan from having to be saved by Renault of all companies, or Mazda having to partner with Ford for a while.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 3:31 PM, emjayay wrote:

Again, sorry there isn't a reply function. Anyway, my question was when did Impala have a FWD V8? That was referring to "Their FWD V8 was so slow that even a V6 Toyota Camry could outrun it."

Maybe they did back in the day, but I couldn't find it.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 3:34 PM, johnw57 wrote:

GM IS NOT PERFECT NOR ANY AUTO MAKER BUT I KNOW GM IS ONE OF THE SAFEST ON THE ROAD AND FORD DOES NOT HAVE A BETTER MOTOR THAN GM AND A MOPAR IS THE MOST UNSAFE AND FORD NOW USES A GM TRANS IN THEIR PICKUPS AND NOBODY BEATS A GM TRAN,AND GM ALSO PAYED BACK THE MONEY TO GOVT,SO QUIT WHIPPING THAT DEAD HORSE,THE ONLY SAFER CAR THAN GM IS A VOLVO,BUT I BUY U,S, CARS

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 3:35 PM, royblizzardiii wrote:

I long for the days of brilliant car designers which gave us classic designs not turtles on wheels. The 57 T-bird, The Camaro, The Mustang, The Chargers, The original Corvettes, the 61-64 Impalas, 57 Chevys etc etc.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 3:37 PM, bugmenot wrote:

@emjayay:

Yes it's true that the Kaizen theory was based on American business management, but there's a reason why it is also successful in Japan.

I never claimed that Kaizen theory was perfect. It won't save any Japanese company from failure. I don't even think Nissan or Mazda was following the Kaizen theory.

Toyota was one of the biggest manufacturers today that still follows the Kaizen theory.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 3:42 PM, emjayay wrote:

To quote the J D Power website:

"2013 Vehicle Dependability Study Results

This car reliability study measures problems experienced during the past 12 months by original owners of three-year-old (2010 model year) vehicles, includes 202 different problem symptoms across all areas of the vehicle."

In that studyof 2010 models done this year, the Buick Lucerne was the top large car. Cadillac CTS was number three in Entry Premium cars. Buick LaCross came in number three among midsize cars. Chevrolet Camaro was number one in Midsize Sporty Cars. Chevrolet HHR was number two among MPVs.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 3:44 PM, bugmenot wrote:

@emjayay:

Do you even know what FF layout is? There you go.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 3:45 PM, emjayay wrote:

FOR SOME REASON USING ALL CAPS READS LIKE ALL SHOUTING TO MOST PEOPLE.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 3:48 PM, bugmenot wrote:

Midsize Premium Crossover SUV

2010 Lexus RX

Midsize Van

2010 Toyota Sienna

Sub Compact Car

2010 Scion xD

^^^^ You forgot to add those. LOL!

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 3:55 PM, dabouv wrote:

American cars have made a comeback and are now competitive. I was so badly burned in the late 70's and 80's that I quit looking at Amercian vehicles.

It's interesting that any American would not cheer the resurgence of one of the greatest if not thee greatest American company names.

Sure the bailout cost money but the total cost of the GM bailout to the taxpayers will be about the cost of a few weeks of Iraq. Saving jobs means less unemployment, Medicaid, food stamps, etc... Thankfully we had adults in leadership who did what was needed.

I looked hard at the Volt. I opted to get another car because I needed a little more room. I work with a guy who has one and he is averaging 160 mph over the 10 mo. he has had it. It might not be for everyone but it is a game changer and anyone who thinks that standard petroleum cars getting 20-30 mph will be the future is a damned moron.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 4:24 PM, emjayay wrote:

Hate to be boring with fairly pointless details, but I didn't know Impala had a V8 SS option in the recent FWD models (not the 2014). I guess I didn't search with the SS or something. Anyway, most sources give it 0-60 5.7 seconds, quarter mile 14.3 sec/97.7 mph. Camry V6 was slower in 2006 but got a new V6 in 2007, and that model registers very close but a few tenths slower 0-60, and in some tests almost identical quarter mile times.

I have an 800 pound heavier Sienna with that V6 and it is amazingly fast for a minivan.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 4:57 PM, dcsteg wrote:

dragsno...Please be informed. GM paid back the stimulus with interest. The government made money.

What GM is spending now is their own money.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 4:58 PM, vicdoc wrote:

If saving GM was good then we should go ahead and print another $5 trillion to make jobs for the 9 million other people who want jobs.

Who thinks petroleum cars will be getting 20-30 MPG when the average mid-sized car already gets 30-40 MPG, and improving? BTW: A Volt gets it's power from gasoline or our rickety, stressed out electric grid, which in this country is supplied by dirty coal, Greenhouse gas producing natural gas, and mutant making nuclear power.Petroleum is where it's at, and it will be for a long time.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 5:35 PM, jmrj914 wrote:

I just drove a new Impala as a rental car in Dallas last week. Overall I liked it very much. It is a huge improvement over the previous model. It is a very LARGE car, but drives and handles nicely. The interior has nice fit and finish, with nice materials almost everywhere (there are a few cheap hard plastic parts, but just a few and not very visible). It's not by any means a sports car, but the engine is big and powerful and the car responds nicely to the gas pedal. My only complaints are below. I hope GM reads this and makes improvements:

- The suspension and handling is WAY too soft. It is almost numb and reminds me of 70's big cars.

- The bluetooth connection with my phone had too much noise and distortion. It was practically useless to try making a phone call while driving on TX-121 at 75 mph, my wife could not understand me.

- The voice commands are a very nice feature and very well thought. Very impressive. But the system takes too much time to respond.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 6:05 PM, dcsteg wrote:

Just bring our jobs back home. No need to print more money.

vicdoe...got any idea who in DC is holding back rebuilding our infrastructure, against solar energy and alternate energy sources?

For those who want RR Drive, a SS Impala with a detuned Corvette 6.3 will be out late fall. I think around 400 HP is safe to say. They will be scarce at first. There is one on order at our local Chevrolet dealer.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 6:08 PM, marine167 wrote:

GM stopped making cars in 1995 when they stopped making the Fleet wood ,the Road master and 98 Olds,all rear wheel drives with good eng. and trans.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 6:18 PM, marine167 wrote:

I wish someone would build a good ol'fashioned station wagon; rear wheel drive V8 auto with power and comfort

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 6:40 PM, Leatherdaddy10 wrote:

GOD PLEASE MAKE IT A COUPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 9:30 PM, fangzamillion wrote:

"Game changer"? I don't think so. I am a person who owned - and loved - GM products in the past. Then, for more than a decade, GM built nothing but junk. I got away from the worthless trash they were building, and will never go back. Are they better today? Maybe, but I'm not risking any money to find out.

Furthermore, I would prefer a domestically produced car. Since Impala is an import ( built in Canada, which is NOT the 51st state!) I would be more likely to buy an American-made vehicle like Toyota or Honda.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 9:45 PM, Rolland wrote:

Well it looks sharp. I hope they sell all of them right off the lots. To all the nay sayers out there. Go Chevy Go GM.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 11:14 PM, Chevyisajoke wrote:

Ah Chevy... the laughing stock of the automotive world... Anyone know why Chevy hids behind other brands? (Opel, Vauxhall, Saab, Holden) Because, and this is from a guy who used to live in Germany and the UK, Chevy = Crap everywhere else in the world. Why is Ford (I'm not even a Ford guy, I am a CAR guy) the leading carmaker in the WORLD? Just sit back and think about it. Fanboys will always be fanboys... If you threw every carmaker into a pot and compiled a list of reliability numbers, the only thing worse than a Chevy is a Yugo.... I would rather buy a Toyota who recalls their cars twice a week than a garbage Chevy.

• Report this Comment On August 03, 2013, at 11:28 PM, 602e23 wrote:

I just now returned from a test drive of the 2014 Impala. Rather than tell you what you can read on every other page (quoting others, listing specifications, etc.), here are some critical impressions.

Exterior fit and finish is every bit as good, or better, than the Japanese counterparts. Panel gaps are even and tight. Chrome trim looks good and is aligned properly. Nothing looks cheap. Even the paint job was good - minimal orange peel in the three colors I examined in direct sunlight. Not too shabby. I was expecting worse.

From a design standpoint, yes, it's a full sized sedan. It's a big car with a tall belt line. But it doesn't look it, at least not as much as the Taurus. It's very curvy and contoured and looks much better and more complex in person than the photos would have you believe. The front end, when put in the context if Impalas of yore, looks 'right' - it looks like part of the family. Someone was paying attention to the heritage factor. The tail lights are the weakest link - but upon closer examination you see the three elements, with the outer two parts referencing the '68 shapes and the overall layout again fits in context. The rear wheel 'arch' is another nice touch, again referencing the '67 and '68. it's a clean design. I think the wheel designs are okay, just a bit busy, but they looked high quality.

The interior is, for a Chevrolet product, revelatory. I've never seen this much quality and attention to detail in a GM product. Ours had the brown interior which seemed odd at first, but it's got a wonderful warm feeling. Don't rule it out. There are lots of pieces and parts and curves but like with the exterior, it's all well aligned, solid, and works as an integrated design. No flashing lines, no exposed fasteners, nothing. The stitching in the leather is gorgeous. The headliner is solid. The controls are easy to find and understand - dials!! - in addition to a touch screen that was quick and easy to navigate. The sunroof is alarmingly huge and has a power inner cover - a nice touch. This is a car that people could drive and operate without a second thought, unlike some Fords and Hondas (so many buttons!). The leather is soft and supple and doesn't feel like plastic, as it did in many domestic cars in the last few decades. And they're comfortable - very comfortable. Power controls for passenger too, heated and cooled, and a lumbar support that adjusts vertically as well. Other nice touches: the secret compartment behind the touchscreen, the power parking brake, and the first well finished trunk I've seen in a Chevrolet product ever. Only complaints? Small glovebox, some controls on the back side of the steering wheel, and the trunk is a bit high - rear visibility is compromised.

The drive? Well, this isn't a sport sedan, but it's not a boat by any means. It's controlled, very quiet, and confident. I spent about 3000 miles renting the last generation of Impala which was not only inferior in every possible metric to this car, it felt like it was utterly out of control at highway speeds when the road began to twist. Terrifying. The new model is plenty fast, feels to have very good brakes, and not once felt like it was losing composure. I can confirm the ride quality you read and hear about - it's impressive.

So what do I know, anyway? I went from a 2012 Maxima to a 2013 Altima. This Impala doesn't have the same mission as the Maxima, but it has a better ride. It's quieter and roomier and easier to get in and out of. The interior is hands down better and more comfortable. And compared to my Altima? Well, it makes the Altima feel cheap in many ways. Sure the Altima is faster, but it doesn't feel buttoned down on the road like the Maxima or this Impala. And again, the interior is superior in the Impala. Everything feels solid. Not so the Altima. After a year, I can see the compromises made to keep the price down and the 3.5 as sweet as it is.

The '14 Impala is a winner, pure and simple. It's so much better than the previous car that it's hard to believe. The unknown is, as ever, reliability. I have to believe that GM, who wants to be in business and wants to sell cars now, put the money into R&D and relibility, not just into styling and the interior.

And for many of you, it's time to move on. It's not the 80's anymore and nobody cares about what junk you had then. Many Japanese makes have their full share of problems and recalls. As for bringing up Obama - really, don't you have anything better to do or contribute? I like the thought of a resurgent domestic automobile industry producing quality products and providing good jobs. It's about time.

At least someone brought up Deming. Did you know he was laughed out of Detroit?

He wouldn't be today.

Go drive the thing, and let's cross our fingers when it comes to reliability.

• Report this Comment On August 04, 2013, at 12:13 AM, proseiden wrote:

It's front wheel drive.....not remotely a game changer. Impala SS with a 400cu inch V8 and rear-wheel drive....That's a game changer. On the other side of a "game changer, GM was a fool to let the V8 G8 go along with Pontiac, the G8 platform WAS the game changer all along that GM blundered. Sold everyone of them out in the fastest pace ever in GM history. GM brings back the G8 platform, there's hope for GM and the tax payers get all their money back plus interest.

• Report this Comment On August 04, 2013, at 12:50 AM, lovechevy wrote:

I been a GM man for 56 years and CHEVY cars and trucks have been outstanding, so with that being said, you ford, found on road dead drivers, keep on buying your ford junk[backwards] driver return on foot and I will keep on buying good Chevys and GM products. thats the real deal!!!

• Report this Comment On August 04, 2013, at 1:14 AM, emjayay wrote:

The 2014 Impala is built in Ontario and Michigan. It is 66% US/Canada and 17% Mexico content. I've seen more detailed breakdowns before but I couln't find them now. Mexico is the primary foreign supplier of parts for American cars and some are built there as well as some Japanese brand cars. That is no doubt one of the big reasons why unemployment is now low in Mexico and illegal Mexican immigration into the US is way down.

The chart I found is on the nhtsa government site.

• Report this Comment On August 04, 2013, at 1:18 AM, emjayay wrote:

Oh, I didn't forget the high JD Power reliability ratings for other cars. I was only listing the GM cars in the top 3 for various types of cars since there were all these claims about all GM cars being crap. Japanese cars are still generally but not in particular more reliable, but in general American cars have greatly improved in the last decade.

• Report this Comment On August 04, 2013, at 1:21 AM, emjayay wrote:

Like I said twice, the new Impala is not just made in Canada but also Michigan. And US made Japanese cars generally have a farily high Japanese content. German cars made here generally have a much higher German content than that. It's all on the nhtsa chart.

• Report this Comment On August 04, 2013, at 5:37 AM, Chevyisajoke wrote:

Hey ah... emjayay..... i think those rankings were the cars with THE MOST problems.... the 4+ reports I read had BUICK dead last in reliability, Chevy somewhere in the high teens out of 20 Manufactures and cadillac not even in the top ten. The top 5 Where Porsche, Lexus, Mazda, Nissan, and Ford.... Those where 4 or five DIFFERENT sources... I even have the Car & Driver mag, and the Motor Trend mag [Motor Trend by the way gets money from GM to make their cars look good] and BOTH showed the reliability charts... Chevy.... what a waste of time and money...

• Report this Comment On August 04, 2013, at 11:59 AM, tzcs4f wrote:

Greyhound44- It is funny, first you posted a note asking where the components are made, China, Mexico or Canada? then you posted a second note saying you owned a Subaru WRX, first note shows you support American automotive industry (good), but then in your second note you shows your real face buying Japanese car. I live in Mexico and I own a Malibu 2011 and a Traverse 2012 both made in USA, so I can say I support more the American industry than you do.

• Report this Comment On August 18, 2013, at 10:14 PM, chikinhammr wrote:

Same lame design cues that Chevy has been puking forth since the Lumina in the 90's. Boring beyond belief.

• Report this Comment On November 18, 2013, at 11:24 PM, bunbun wrote:

What is wrong with you people? I just got a Chevy Impala as a rental vehicle while my 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis is at the auto body shop.

The Impala sucks! I can't beleive anyone would pay money to drive this POS. The handling is horrible, winter driving is scary, and there is no headroom. I hit my head getting in and out everytime and if I hit the brakes my forehead hits the visor.

Horrible, horrible car.