The Motley Fool Wins Gold, Silver, and Bronze

We'll keep the horn-tooting and self-back-patting brief, but we're pretty excited here at Fool HQ!

The Hulbert Financial Digest recently ranked the performance of 200-plus investment-advisory services over the last five years (ending June 30).

Topping those 200-plus, Motley Fool services ranked 1, 2, and 3:

1. Motley Fool Inside Value
  2. Motley Fool Rule Breakers
  3. Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Sorry, proponents of technical analysis, market timing, and day trading... this is one more bit of evidence favoring long-term, fundamentals-based, buy-to-hold investing. That's the kind of investing the masters of investing use (see Warren Buffett, Peter Lynch, Philip Fisher, and Ben Graham) and it's the kind of investing we do here at the Motley Fool.

To read Mark Hulbert's full write-up, click either of these links:

The Wall Street Journal (may require subscription)

MarketWatch

And finally, to celebrate, our advisors have put together a free report with the top stock pick for new money from each of the three top-ranking services. Just click here to get a copy. Thanks for reading, and Fool on!

• Report this Comment On August 05, 2013, at 11:33 AM, Bonsaiscrooge wrote:

Reviewing my experiences with prior advisors (Berneckers Actienbörse, Jim Cramer and others), timing techniques, options trading etc. and their comparably poor results, I can only confirm that the buy-and-hold principle is the only one that has produced a very worthwhile yearly (although volatile at times) profit over those last five years, since I've turned Foolish.

Congratulations, and carry on Fooling!

• Report this Comment On August 05, 2013, at 11:34 AM, OceanJackson wrote:

How many of the other services were based on Technical Analysis, Market Timing, or Day Trading?

Hey, congratulations, but being brief while tooting your horn doesn't mean humility, either does a claim of superiority over something like Technical Analysis based on service rankings.

• Report this Comment On August 05, 2013, at 11:54 AM, stockdissector wrote:

Congratulations!

• Report this Comment On August 05, 2013, at 1:17 PM, Landsman55 wrote:

The money I have spent over the years on MF services is the best money I have ever spent. Congratulations to the whole team. There a lot of intangiblles on this site that add value to ensuring an investing mentality. One nit--I liked the old format on the CAPS site better when you could see All Stars in the commentary section, can we go back please?

• Report this Comment On August 05, 2013, at 1:18 PM, DufferWD wrote:

I'm worried. Hulbert's is big. I subscribed to them for years. MFSA was the first newsletter I purchased that was NOT on Hulberts. I always felt that I'd found that special secret fishing hole that hardly anybody knew about (OK, maybe a bunch of 10's of thousands knew about it.)

Now everyone knows! Will the siren song of the hedge fund world be singing to Tom and David (even more loudly)?

Semi-Congratulations MF.

• Report this Comment On August 05, 2013, at 6:03 PM, TMFTomGardner wrote:

DufferWD,

We are going to be here, indefinitely. We are going to launch new services and solutions as we go. But we have spent the last 5+ years feverishly buying out our venture investors. . so that we can stand as a wholly-owned, private and independent voice continually.

We love picking stocks and building portfolios in the way we do in our membership services. Expect it to last, Fool. And I hope you'll be with us the whole way through!

Best,

Tom Gardner

• Report this Comment On August 05, 2013, at 6:53 PM, motleyfooluser08 wrote:

I am trying to reconcile Hulbert's statement that Inside Value, Rule Breakers, and Stock Advisor "produced average annual returns over the (5-year) period of 18%, 16% and 15%, respectively" with the apparently non-annualized numbers of 30.15%, 71.98, and 127.59%, respectively, shown on fool.com's front page.

I saw a statement on MF saying that "The Motley Fool is in the process of implementing time-weighted, annualized total return calculations for all of its services." When will that be completed?

Thanks, and congratulations on the news.

• Report this Comment On August 05, 2013, at 10:43 PM, KKoleto wrote:

Congratulations guys! I can recall reading your early columns on AOL (or was it Prodigy?) many years ago. Maybe you both had hair then--I don't recall.

Anyway I have certainly learned a lot and by all means Fool on!

Ken, Fool

• Report this Comment On August 06, 2013, at 5:30 AM, FooLawson wrote:

Great job Fools

• Report this Comment On August 06, 2013, at 6:37 AM, TMFOpie wrote:

Mfuser08,

We continue to be looking through a better way to display our service returns in a transparent way on Fool.com. Nothing definite yet as we explore ways to present that data for the various services, that have different goals and benchmarks, and I don't have a timeline. But it is something I have been talking to Fools about.

Thanks,

Andy

• Report this Comment On August 06, 2013, at 9:04 AM, sorensantiago wrote:

Thanks guys!

I joined MF a year ago, and have made a 33,7% return. Yes, it will probably bounch up and down on the way - but thanks for showing me great companies, and learning me about how to invest on the long term!

Thanks

Soren

• Report this Comment On August 06, 2013, at 11:24 AM, mikecart1 wrote:

This was inevitable. Although I have never used any of the paid Fool services, I knew from day 1 as a member of this site almost a decade ago that Motley Fool was going big. It comes down to quality and the willingly to prove the big players wrong. As with any up-and-coming company, it is the hunger that leads to greatness. Stay hungry Motley Fool and rankings like this will not be a surprise - they will be expected!

:-D

• Report this Comment On August 06, 2013, at 5:15 PM, EquityBull wrote:

Awesome and congratulations to everyone at the Fool involved in those services. I subscribe to Hidden Gems, Stock Advisor and Rule Breakers. Well worth my investment every year. Would have never found so many of my biggest winners without them. ISRG, CMG, CELG and quite a few more.

Give yourselves a pat on the back. Your hard work getting the recognition it deserves among the frantic investment world that just never seems to get it.

• Report this Comment On August 06, 2013, at 5:19 PM, JadedFoolalex wrote:

Congrats, Fools!!!

I have always found good ideas for investments from you guys, even when I was parsing your picks from your ads! To be fair, I promise to be a paid up Fool for the next 25 years!

Fool on, You Big Old Fools, you...

• Report this Comment On August 06, 2013, at 5:24 PM, DanHazelwood wrote:

I've been a long term fan, since my mother gave me your book and said this is a good way to learn something about the market. Years later, I've done very well thank you. Fool on. But not blindly.

• Report this Comment On August 06, 2013, at 5:55 PM, brigidl wrote:

250% over 4 years,..... thanks & long MF.

• Report this Comment On August 06, 2013, at 6:22 PM, GuessingFool wrote:

A guy at work pointed out the Motley Fool back in the late 90's. Been reading for a long time.

Now I have my oldest son turned onto reading the MF.

I wish it were still my secret fishing hole too!

Fool On

• Report this Comment On August 06, 2013, at 6:47 PM, umpirechuck wrote:

Bravo Zulu, MF!!!

• Report this Comment On August 06, 2013, at 10:06 PM, enginear wrote:

Good work, and keep it up! You match pretty well what I always thought, and I only wish I had been more of a skinflint (wives only allow you to go so far down that road) and invested more. Still worked out very well.

Congratulations - Fool on!

• Report this Comment On August 06, 2013, at 10:08 PM, ramansoman wrote:

I have been a paying member since 2008. And every year I have made at least 10 times the cost of my subscription.

And along the way I have learnt so much if value investing. Now my children have started to benefit from your advice too. Thank you MF. Hope your service continues for generations.

• Report this Comment On August 07, 2013, at 12:28 AM, physicsisphun wrote:

In response to motleyfooluser88: The two sets of numbers actually agree. For example, an 18% annualized return over 5 years gives you a *total* gain of 129%. (i.e. raise 1.18 to the 5th power and you get 2.288.) I agree I'd like to see the numbers annualized, but I'd also go further, and ask that they be compared *annually* with a suitable benchmark, so that we could see the comparison on a yearly basis. I think that comparison would put MF in a pretty good position.

• Report this Comment On August 07, 2013, at 5:12 AM, bourse wrote:

Now it is official what we long term fools know for years! congratulations!!

• Report this Comment On August 07, 2013, at 9:49 AM, morningg wrote:

I noticed you have not mentioned Teledyne..TDY which is up 151.98%.

• Report this Comment On August 09, 2013, at 1:24 PM, ffampuero wrote:

I have been a member/follower/fan since 2000 and have no complaints just praise for all of you guys (ALL FOOLS). I thank Tom and David for their passion, the staff at The Motley Fool for their incredible skills, fun way to communicate and amazing results, as well as each and every one of the contributors/followers/fools for their intelligent insight EVEN in the event of down markets. I hope to be here for many, many years. FOOL ON !!

• Report this Comment On August 09, 2013, at 2:17 PM, bdamark wrote:

Congrats

Motley Fool Inside Value

Motley Fool Rule Breakers

Motley Fool Stock Advisor

however, these are services requiring me to pay $200+ a year for advice. I can't invest money in these services and get those returns, can I? I have to do the work on my own.

In contrast, I have money in Motley Fool Funds - "Independence Fund", "Great American Fund", and "Epic Voyage Fund", but I don't believe they match the advice or returns of the above award winning 'services' (although I'm very pleased with the services).

Any chance you can setup a fund to match each above service and just let me put some money in it and trust you to do the hard work?!

• Report this Comment On August 09, 2013, at 4:03 PM, clbjblk wrote:

Give me something I don't know not mad but there has to be something that will build a fire that last again Iam not mad.

• Report this Comment On August 10, 2013, at 10:34 AM, rayzle wrote:

MF has been my investing teacher

Love the long-term BnH approach

Old School Masters are Reinforced

A little anxiety of the new services/solutions to building wealh

Fearful of the losing the original mission focus

Congrats & Fool On

• Report this Comment On August 10, 2013, at 10:43 AM, jpmartin2 wrote:

What first attracted me to The Motley Fool in 2001 was the way you guys talked to me. You kept the inside lingo to a minimum, and used a common sense approach in describing your recommendations. You answered the questions of a newbie with respect and warmth. And you admitted when you were wrong, and explained why that happened. Next month, I'm going to retire, at the age of 59, in no small part to your investment advise over the past 12 years.

Thanks, and keep up the good work.

• Report this Comment On August 10, 2013, at 3:48 PM, jaybird43 wrote:

Congratulations. It is nice that your work is appreciated. Keep it up. I have been a Fool for about 4 years and needed the support of others who did not say I was a fool for buying and holding. So far I'm only 1/2 a fool as I still believe you need to be paid a dividend for buying a company. After you pluck down money for shares it's a partnership. So keep those great picks coming out but let's see more money for us dividend re-investors. Thanks again for all your hard work and support.

• Report this Comment On August 11, 2013, at 8:33 PM, yutert wrote:

Congratulations! Motley Fool has been a great teacher, mentor and advisor. I love the Stock Advisor.

• Report this Comment On September 15, 2013, at 11:49 AM, RedEyedDoc wrote:

Very satisfying to finally see that The Fool is getting some respect.

... and have to agree with Rayzle about mission creep and loss of focus.

It seems to me that Fool has gotten away from its roots: initially, the brothers were all about talking/discussing stocks and staying away from high pressure stock/mutual fund salespeople who charge too much for their advice. Now, every time I open my e-mail acct, there is another ad from Fool trying to get me to subscribe to this service or that service or, heaven forbid, buy new mutual funds.

This does not lessen their achievement and I'll continue to subscribe to Stock Advisor until I'm 3 days dead.