This Will Be 3-D Printing's Next Security Crisis

If two MIT students have it their way, physical keys are about to become a thing of the past. At the recent Def Con Hacker Conference, these students announced they've developed a piece of software that enables Schlage Primus keys – the de facto standard of security keys – to be easily replicated with a professional 3-D printer.

Not only does this have far-reaching implications for the world at large, it puts a target directly on the backs of both 3D Systems  (NYSE: DDD  ) and Stratasys  (NASDAQ: SSYS  ) . In the video below, Fool.com contributor Steve Heller gives 3-D printing investors the details they need to know about this development.

With the European debt crisis and slowing growth in China many investors are worried about heady growth, but fear not because the future is made in America. Domestic manufacturing is poised to once again become the investment driver of the world, and all because of one disruptive technology. You can uncover the three companies that will become the American Steel of tomorrow in The Motley Fool's new free report. Just click here to read more.

• Report this Comment On August 14, 2013, at 8:33 AM, DfenceCtr wrote:

There are already fairly simple solutions to this problem that already exist. Cypher locks or, gasp, some sort of high tech 20th century electronic keypad /sarc. This really is a big nothing-burger. Well, unless you're in the business of making keys...

• Report this Comment On August 14, 2013, at 10:04 AM, hwpbnj322 wrote:

You fools need to stop scaring me and making me happy through articles MULTIPLE times a day.. I cant tell you how many times you guys have ruined my positions in the 3d printing world.. I pay for your adcvice because i trust it.... I AM LOSING TRUST QUICK!! One week you guys hype the next is misleading HEADLINES...Im pretty much telling myself now dont look what they have to say just stand your position. THANKS FOOLS

• Report this Comment On August 14, 2013, at 10:05 AM, hwpbnj322 wrote:

• Report this Comment On August 14, 2013, at 10:13 AM, eyeknonothing wrote:

This was a great article. Thanks Fools. I think 3D is going to take off to the $tar$

• Report this Comment On August 14, 2013, at 10:14 AM, hwpbnj322 wrote:

TO MANY ARTICLES ABOUT 3D PRINTING ...FOR EVERY 1 HAPPY ARTICLE YOU HAVE 3 THAT SAYS STAY AWAY!

• Report this Comment On August 14, 2013, at 10:16 AM, hwpbnj322 wrote:

im not sayying this article.... I saw an article yesterday that pretty much told me to back out....i backed out of 3d printing stocks 3 times because of the fools articles when there was no need to... i as well think it will take off. and i will not be looking at these articles anymore

• Report this Comment On August 14, 2013, at 10:20 AM, hwpbnj322 wrote:

sorry to say the 2d printer lead to alot of things people were worried about.... FAKE EVERYTHING COULD BE PRINTED...who needs a key just kick the door down...especially your talking about future i wouldnt be surprised if house keys turn electronic DONT WORRY PEOPLE

• Report this Comment On August 14, 2013, at 11:24 AM, ScottAtlanta wrote:

hwpldkjd99s.....or what ever.

You sound hysterical and if indeed you sold 3 times after three articles...you are no Fool but a fool.

My advice....step away from your money, turn any money you make over to others....and let them manage it. You comments suggest you will lose your money otherwise.

• Report this Comment On August 14, 2013, at 11:36 AM, ScottAtlanta wrote:

Yes, I do think some regulation is necessary for 3D printing....depending I suppose on the product. It brings up interesting questions....like printing keys. Do you forbid it? Or does the industry that relies on keys switch to another method? I think the later.

But what about liability for other products...if you print something with poor design and are injured...who is responsible? Does it matter if Nike designs it or if it's just a design from a web site with disclaimers? OR will we follow the model that ifyou can design and build it on your own...you assume all liability? But what if public is being harmed by this? I can't build a shed on my property without a permit. Am I going to print something that can injure people...am I going to provide faulty plans so others can print faulty objects? What objects will need safety overview....to protect the public?

Now I'm sounding hysterical. 3D printing will be here to stay....but how these issues will be addressed....another Q.

• Report this Comment On August 14, 2013, at 1:33 PM, Jon0617 wrote:

hwpbnj322, you have to do your own due dilligence. You cannot mindlessly, automatically follow another and have any reasonable expectation of success.

The power of the Fool is not one genius investor making all the right moves; it's many investors sharing ideas, collaborating research and at times fiercely arguing over disagreements, so that each participant arrives at a more informed decision than he could on his own. All come in with the understanding that every investment carries risks, and hopefully with the desire to understand those risks.

Articles telling you why to buy, and articles telling you why not to buy, aren't a flaw. Presenting multiple sides of a disagreement means it's working.

• Report this Comment On August 14, 2013, at 2:27 PM, TMFTopDown wrote:

@Jon0617,

You hit the nail on the head.

The Motley Fool isn't intentionally trying to be conflicting. We believe that considering a diverse range of insights is what makes us all better investors, even if they are counter to one's personal opinion. That's what makes us "Motley."

Thanks for commenting!

-Steve (TMFTopDown)

• Report this Comment On August 15, 2013, at 9:10 AM, hwpbnj322 wrote:

i got crap yesterday for the happy and unhappy articles that is thrown at 3-d companies....new article this morning "sell xone becaues its a bubble not because of the market". I remained respectful in not responding to you atlantaasdglhsdkghasdgn

• Report this Comment On August 15, 2013, at 9:19 AM, hwpbnj322 wrote:

Thank you but having an article saying buy xone now...and than saying the 3d stocks are a bubble the next day...Id say the advice can be misleading...i am successful enough i am not the king of this..but i do well enough to satisfy myself... so i dont respect comments like hand over my money to someone else....gain some respect cause im sure over the past year you fell into some of these articles.....Or hey youre the king of stocks and i should hand my money to you...?? I just tend to listen to advice maybe a little more than i should...........

• Report this Comment On August 15, 2013, at 9:26 AM, hwpbnj322 wrote:

Article above has wonderful numbers by xone. "dont worry about the price dropping its a time to buy" article right underneith horrible numbers.. "its a bubble, if the price drops dont mistake and keep buying" thats all im saying... Fool on

• Report this Comment On August 15, 2013, at 9:28 AM, hwpbnj322 wrote:

and i chose this article to release my article angers out.. this article has nothing to do with what i am talking about.. i have seen many comments that agree with what i am saying

• Report this Comment On August 15, 2013, at 8:33 PM, hvancura1 wrote:

what a bunch of hooey, any crook with a hunk of brass, a jewelers saw and file can make a duplicate key, no 3D printer required.

• Report this Comment On August 15, 2013, at 10:14 PM, TMFTopDown wrote:

@hvancura1

Why bother with all that when all you need is a good picture of a key to create a 3-D rendered model, which you then send off to a professional 3-D printing service like Shapeways to take care of the rest?

With this approach, very little skill is required, not to mention, you never need the physical key in your possession to make a duplicate.

Thanks for your comment.

Steve (TMFTopDown)

• Report this Comment On August 17, 2013, at 8:00 AM, MM704 wrote:

@Steve (TMFTopDown),

It would be much easier if one could have a clear advice by Team David or Team Tom.

There is too much "noise" out there because of this diverse range of insights.

I'd like to be able to distinguish between the opinions of Stock Advisor and the MF community. And that's not always easy...

Kind regards

Michael

DocumentId: 2593435, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 4/17/2014 2:29:52 PM

Today's Market

updated Moments ago Sponsored by:
DOW 16,439.87 15.02 0.09%
S&P 500 1,867.68 5.37 0.29%
NASD 4,105.86 19.64 0.48%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Data delayed up to 5 minutes