5 Rumors on the Next iPhone: Fact or Fiction?

On September 12th of last year, Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) unveiled the iPhone 5. So, it shouldn't come as a surprise that its now being widely reported that the next iPhone is set to be unveiled at a September 10th event, almost exactly a year after the last iPhone.

As with all Apple product announcements, the rumor mill will be in full swing across the next few weeks ahead of the product's announcement. In the following slideshow, we're looking at five more prominent rumors about the next iPhone and handicapping whether or not they're likely to pan out.

To see a full run-down of what investors should expect on September 10th, just click on the slideshow below. Also, if you're looking for more information on investing in Apple after its recent share price spike, check out our newest report named "Apple Will Destroy its Greatest Product." Can Apple really disrupt its own iPhones and iPads? Find out by clicking here, its free!

• Report this Comment On August 18, 2013, at 7:54 PM, plcfischer wrote:

How about an iPhone 6 rumor?

The iPhone 6 will have a clear aluminum display.

So you think I am joking. The sapphire home button is just another name for clear aluminum home button. So is corundum. It is all Al2O3. The price is getting to the point where it could happen.

• Report this Comment On August 20, 2013, at 9:48 AM, mikecart1 wrote:

Mark this post: I predict that Apple will reveal something that hasn't been discussed yet at all in the public. You think Carl Icahn put up over $1 billion to invest in Apple shares for the iPhone 5s? I would hope Carl was smarter than that.

Oh no. I believe Apple is holding a full house while the next best hand at the table is grinning at their Ace-high flush. Apple is likely to shock the world in less than a year and the shares will go just as Icahn predicts - way past $600/share!

Disclaimer: Yes I own Apple lol

• Report this Comment On August 20, 2013, at 2:41 PM, BlueinTexas wrote:

If Apple does nto make their screen bigger to compete with Samsung they are making a big mistake just an opinion.

• Report this Comment On August 20, 2013, at 5:25 PM, chilero wrote:

I was hoping for another row of static icons.

• Report this Comment On August 20, 2013, at 5:54 PM, WizAmNot wrote:

At this point Apple really needs to produce an inexpensive phone and a new iPhone that has a larger screen with the availability of widgets like Android. I own Apple stock, have a MacBook, and a iPad but am still using my Android phone Samsung S3. When I am up for a replacement phone I will consider the iPhone but it has to be more than a faster processor to make me change.

• Report this Comment On August 20, 2013, at 8:07 PM, ItinerantRick wrote:

The announcements will include the Gen-5 iPad.

• Report this Comment On August 20, 2013, at 9:30 PM, stevews99 wrote:

Who the freak cares? I love my Samsung Note 2 :-).

• Report this Comment On August 20, 2013, at 10:17 PM, taoiseach wrote:

Who - Samsung or Apple. - will stumble on immutable fact that original generation of pure computer users, non-techies, have failing eyesight ?

How to make smaller larger ?

Has it been done already and then discarded ?

• Report this Comment On August 21, 2013, at 4:09 AM, JeffParrel wrote:
  • Report this Comment On August 21, 2013, at 10:59 AM, XXF wrote:

I am pretty sure that the iPhone 5C will be TD SCDMA only meaning it will only work in select 2nd world markets including on China Mobile, which will allow AAPL access to that 700MM user market and allow them to maintain their high price/high margin strategy in the first world without cannibalizing new device sales. We'll see what happens, but that makes the most sense to me.

• Report this Comment On August 21, 2013, at 1:34 PM, BernieLee wrote:

Apple is an easily enjoyable company because of all its costumer friendly products. They have high customer satisfaction because of their convenience with iMessage that is accessible by most their products, but they need to do more than add memory and speed to keep their customers. They need to make their products more durable via Liquidmetals LQMT. Customers are demanding a bigger screen too. They need to make big moves, and judging by Carl Icahn's investment, something big will happen. It's not a question of if, but when.

• Report this Comment On August 23, 2013, at 12:58 PM, Trumpace wrote:

Look for the iwatch, new phone, internet and mobile devise announced. JMHO.

• Report this Comment On August 23, 2013, at 1:17 PM, rcjackson0926 wrote:

I got tired of waiting for the next big thing from Apple because it doesn't seem that it is going to happen, so I switched to a Galaxy S4. I love it so far. It makes the iphone look and feel really dated.

• Report this Comment On August 23, 2013, at 2:24 PM, ellerykurtz wrote:

Biometric start button. They do own a patent for this type of fingerprint technology. If not this coming model, certainly the one after that.

Also some new type of glass...flexible. Gorilla glass is pretty good, but when you finally see Corning's flexible Willow Glass you will begin to envision various design changes that will come to the mobile device. How about molded screens in different shapes?

Not a fantasy. It will happen.

• Report this Comment On August 23, 2013, at 3:36 PM, berylost wrote:

If Apple were really smart, they'd make a good camera , phone and computer all in one. A better camera that takes better pics, in especially low light situations would be a huge improvement. the I5 lacks a good camera vs competitors.

• Report this Comment On August 23, 2013, at 4:39 PM, BindingSuccess wrote:

New integrated features? Bring it on!

When I was younger, I liked fidgeting and tweaking all of my tech toys. I must admit I had contempt for Apple products. "They make it too easy", I would gruff. Over the years, I have become more mature in my views on time spent being productive rather than time spent being the product owner of a vast array of non-integrated, clever but not intuitive gadgetry that waste my time trying to keep them all up to date and in sync. So, I have an iphone and ipad a mac airbook and a mac mini. They all work in harmony together without me lifting a finger. They find each other when one is lost. Oh, and all of mine sans the phone were purchased and are very old yet (5+ years for some) still work together flawlessly and still run the latest OS/IOS. Try that with the disparate array of tweaked android os's over the past few years, windows, linux, etc..

I may not buy the latest revision of the iPhone 5, but I will definitely welcome and buy more integrated Apple products as they become available. I can't say I ever had the same loyalty for any other manufacturer and I've tried.I'll go one further. Take at a simple product like a cable box and a blue ray player and ask yourself you, the consumer, need to re-learn navigation from a blue ray player and a cable company? If Apple OS was the OS on those platforms and it integrated with my Apple products I would pay for that service provider and that blue-ray player over anyone else's product.

I get hours of my life back with the ease of use and convenience Apple products deliver. I'm never going back.

note - posted from an old HP PC (waiting for the new mac pro to come in) haha!

• Report this Comment On August 23, 2013, at 5:56 PM, ejmudra wrote:

Screen you can read in the sun!

• Report this Comment On August 23, 2013, at 6:52 PM, csandvig wrote:

Three years ago iPhones might have been worth their premium price. However Android phones have improved dramatically while iPhones have stagnated. The Samsung S4 blows away the iPhone 4 with a larger screen, higher screen resolution, faster processor, microSD slot (allows additional 64GB memory for about $55), easy to use Android Jelly Bean, thousands of free apps, Google Maps, longer battery life, etc. Not to mention its lower price.

Apple better come up with more than a gold colored case if it wants to keep the cash machine running. My wife looks at my gigantic s4 next to her toy-like iPhone 4 and its obvious that Apple has at least one customer about to jump ship.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 4:37 PM, shockmeee wrote:

One commenter said that Apple must make their screen as big as the Samsungs. I vehemently disagree. Those big Samsungs are awkwardly big, look ridiculous, and my friends who own them are forever charging them midday.

For several years I've been hoping Apple releases a SMALLER phone. Much smaller. Everyone has a tablet now, so you don't need a huge phone too. You need a small phone that invisibly goes everywhere with you. Save the huge screen for your iPad!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 4:55 PM, lfarrar wrote:

Eric, please understand the agreement between Apple and LiquidMetal, LQMT, gives Apple the exclusive right to use LQMT in consumer electronics in perpetuity. This agreement absolutely does NOT end in 2014.

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 11:34 PM, Tsharp1947 wrote:

My rumor is that, like most rumors, at least half of these will prove to be wrong. These stories are a waste of time!

• Report this Comment On August 28, 2013, at 6:26 PM, archy wrote:

Probably more than half these rumors will prove false, at least September 10; but that doesn't depreciate the fun of reading them, nor their stimulating additional, more imaginative ones!

• Report this Comment On August 29, 2013, at 6:13 PM, rianjones1983 wrote:

Great insights provided in this WWDC 2013 Transcript @ http://www.earningsimpact.com/Transcript/82995/AAPL/Apple-In...

• Report this Comment On September 01, 2013, at 9:12 PM, fmshamim wrote:

I have a strong distrust on Samsung. Just after 2 months my Samsung galaxy note 2 died due to motherboard problem. I ruined a lot of money due to this stupid Samsung phone. I also using iPhone 3gs from last 3 years with excellent and solid performance. Apple is the best as per my appraisal.