General Electric Is Going Big in 3-D Printing: Morris Technology

The additive manufacturing industry can be extremely tricky for investors to gain a firm grasp on. The publicly traded companies in the industry include 3D Systems (NYSE: DDD  ) , Stratasys (NASDAQ: SSYS  ) , and ExOne (NASDAQ: XONE  ) . These three may be the only pure-play additive manufacturing companies that investors can purchase stock in, but there are other large players with significant influence that investors should be paying careful attention to, namely General Electric (NYSE: GE  ) and Germany-based EOS.

2013 AUVSI Unmanned Systems Conference

For those new to the world of additive manufacturing, GE went all-in with a purchase of industry specialist Morris Technology in November 2012. Since then there's been little news of the newly minted partnership... until now.

At this year's AUVSI Unmanned Systems conference in Washington, D.C., Motley Fool analysts Blake Bos and Rex Moore checked in with GE's additive development center marketing manager Mike Cloran to see just who Morris Technology is and how it's fitting in. Investors in any additive manufacturing company should take note, as GE's Goliath-like presence will surely change the industry. Watch the video below to get the inside scoop.

3 Other Exciting Global Opportunities
With the American markets reaching new highs, investors and pundits alike are skeptical about future growth. They shouldn't be. Many global regions are still stuck in neutral, and their resurgence could result in windfall profits for select companies. A recent Motley Fool report, "3 Strong Buys for a Global Economic Recovery", outlines three companies that could take off when the global economy gains steam. Click here to read the full report!

• Report this Comment On August 21, 2013, at 8:08 PM, IrieInvesting wrote:

I feel like Sigma Labs (SGLB) deserves mentioning in this article. GE Aviation recently signed an additive manufacturing cooperative agreement with Sigma Labs, where I haven't heard of any GE deals with the companies mentioned here.

• Report this Comment On August 21, 2013, at 11:25 PM, 110254545yy wrote:

You mean the one to repair wind Turbine hardware?

Everyone and their mother is jumping into using the name 3D for everything they do, just to join the bandwagon of excited investors, the next generation of losers.

With your money, be cautious.

NEVER TRUST EVERYTHING YOU READ HERE,

I will stick with name recognition.

• Report this Comment On August 22, 2013, at 1:44 PM, TMFBos wrote:

@trielinvesting

Sigma is too small of a company to mention in an article on our site; i believe they are a penny a share last time I checked. The Fool doesn't comment on penny stocks and/or company's <250M market cap. I'd advise caution in any penny stock as shareholders are subject to pump and dump schemes and shareholder dilution.

Stay Foolish,

Blake

• Report this Comment On August 22, 2013, at 5:14 PM, crikescrikes wrote:

Blake

Thanks for posting the video.

I appreciate getting bits of information here and there about the industry from major players -- keeps solidifying by belief in the industry and in my investments.

I can't believe you don't own any 3d stocks!!!

Fool On

crikescrikes

• Report this Comment On August 22, 2013, at 5:39 PM, TMFBos wrote:

Thanks crikes!

I'm biding my time before I pull the trigger on my choice of companies. I'm a big value guy so I have a hard time wrapping my head around the valuations in the sector right now. Definitely a fun sector to watch with big potential.

Cheers,

Blake

• Report this Comment On August 23, 2013, at 12:51 AM, gerard wrote:

I wonder about what 3D covers. If it is just 3D printing for every owner of a personal computer, i have no ned for such things as plastic knives, or other replicas; If it is for industry, we look at robotisation and there is a lot. I personaly own some shares of Dassault Systemes, which is important in industrial 3D software, as I believe the 3D brain is the key. Do you track foreign exchanges?

• Report this Comment On August 23, 2013, at 9:21 AM, TMFBos wrote:

@GP000

I'm familiar with Dassault and I agree with your logic. The big barrier right now in industrial and consumer markets seems to be the expertise on designing products that take advantage of the design possibilities 3D printing enables. I've heard a few companies comment how prospective customers would love to use their printers but the lack the expertise to design for them. If you're referring to 3D systems; the cover everything in the kitchen sink but are primarily focused in plastics but do have a presence in metals with their Phenix systems acquisition.

Cheers,

Blake

• Report this Comment On August 26, 2013, at 5:02 PM, WineHouse wrote:

Even the most conservative investors tend to "dabble" in attractive risky stuff with money they feel they can afford to lose (assuming they have enough "other money" to make up for it). After reading some Foolish advice about a year or so ago about 3-D printing and looking into it myself, I decided to split a $15K "risky wad" roughly equally among DASTY, 3D, and Stratasys. I have no intention of doing anything with those shares except watching their market values yo-yo like crazy for the next several years. If my whole portfolio were invested in stuff like this, I'd be (and be going) crazy.