Ford's Risky 2015 Mustang Could Alienate Loyal Fans

Artist rendering of the 2015 Mustang. Photo credit: Autoguide.com. Read more here

Ford (NYSE: F  ) has a big year coming up in 2014. The company will launch next-generation designs of its body and soul -- the Mustang and F-150.

Ford sits between a rock and a hard place when approaching the redesign of its iconic muscle car, as sales of the Mustang have crashed and haven't been able to regain much momentum. This will be Ford's attempt to kill the retro styling and bring the car into the 21st century as a lighter and faster sports car.

Graph by author. Information cred: Automotive News DataCenter. 2013 estimated with sales through July.

In addition to reviving sales in the U.S., Ford needs to expand its sales to the global market -- a tough balancing act.

"Ford wants the car to appeal to a global market, but the last time the company tried to make a global Mustang, we ended up with the Ford Probe," Andrew Stoy, digital editor of Autoweek, told me. "Any time a halo vehicle as quintessentially American as the Mustang is re-engineered for broader markets, the risk of alienating the car's core audience rises. That risk is even more acute in the face of the Mustang's strong domestic competition -- namely the Chevy Camaro."

Stoy hit the nail on the head. Ford has to avoid the worst-case scenario of losing its core U.S. consumer with a modern design, yet if it doesn't evolve enough to appeal to a new global audience, it will fall short of Ford's sales ambition.

Simply put: For the Mustang to succeed overseas, it needs to shed a few hundred pounds and shrink in size.

'Stang on a diet?
The current Ford Mustang weighs in at 3,523 pounds, and according to Edmunds, Ford is working with lighter materials to remove a minimum of 400 pounds for the 2015 model. To provide the smaller vehicle necessary to sell overseas, it's believed the next-generation Mustang will be as much as 15 inches shorter and 6 inches narrower.

For those worried that the weight loss will make the muscle car any less "Ford tough," there's nothing to worry about. "They are going to use more aluminum, better structural engineering in terms of spot welds, and so on and so forth, basically using less material and making it stronger," an unnamed source said, according to Edmunds.

There are rumors that the Mustang will receive an EcoBoost engine, which left some 'Stang loyalists puzzled and anxious. I doubt there is anything to worry about, as Ford has a lot of engine flexibility that will help it sell well here in the U.S. and overseas. A turbocharged EcoBoost would help sell the muscle car in Europe, while the power-hungry U.S. consumer will no doubt have a top-of-the-line V-8 option. Also to the delight of U.S. loyalists, the pony car will finally kick the live rear axle in favor of an independent rear suspension.

Investing takeaway
Ford's had an excellent run of success with vehicle sales lately, and that's helped boost Ford's stock price up 70% over the past 12 months, as of this writing. Ford set a July record for sales in China, topping over 72,000 in wholesale units -- good for a 71% gain over last year. Ford's year-to-date sales are up a staggering 50% in China through July versus last year. Ford is also increasing its market share in Europe amid an industry still in decline -- pretty impressive.

That recent success is due to the Fusion, Fiesta, Focus and Escape, which continue to sell well globally. Ford now looks to bring its Mustang to the global lineup in hopes it will bring yet another surge in sales and market share.

One thing is for sure: Ford is on a hot streak of designing successful vehicles, and that's brought the company back strong from the brink of bankruptcy. For that reason, I expect the 2015 Mustang to be yet another hit here, and abroad -- much to the delight of Mustang loyalists and investors alike.

The best investing approach is to choose great companies and stick with them for the long term. The Motley Fool's free report "3 Stocks That Will Help You Retire Rich" names stocks that could help you build long-term wealth and retire well, along with some winning wealth-building strategies that every investor should be aware of. Click here now to keep reading.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 10:22 AM, susanbrand1970 wrote:

Please, say it isn't so! Why do so many car companies just completely butcher a vehicle with their redesign? I don't mind changes and updates, but please leave the Mustang alone!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 10:27 AM, sabebrush6 wrote:

The Mustang is a great little car. However, it's NOT a sports car as the media keeps calling it. It's a factory street rod. It's cool as is but needs some updates to modern day. Leave it at what it is and what it represents.

Street cool.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 10:30 AM, ponchoman49 wrote:

Looks like something out of the Fast and the Furious. Those rubber band wheels look silly.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 10:53 AM, fpl1954 wrote:

The Mustang, like the Camaro, competes for a narrow segment of customers. The target is NOT the type of men who buy sports cars, who love driving fast just for the thrill of pitting themselves against the road. The target is men who use their car to make a statement. They don't seek satisfaction driving, it's all about style and appearance. They want car that most people who can afford would never buy. It's a car that says "look at me, I'm willing to spend this much money just to make a statement". Not the car for me, but I know plenty of men who love them. I'm a sports car guy, I don't care who sees me or if anyone does, in fact a day without seeing another car on a road with too many curves to pass is ideal for me.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:05 AM, mrsb78 wrote:

YUCK!!!!!! and I thought Chrysler was the only car company that would make that big a mistake. When Chrysler came out with the Charger they got so much flack they had to bring back the Challenger I'm not sure there is any help for this thing. If Ford really thinks this is good they really need to be hit over the head with a 2x4 wake up and fire who ever designed it. This is just plain ugly! I would never buy that car and I own a Mustang!!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:07 AM, raptorred wrote:

And, if Ford is expecting to expand that segment, the new design direction will be a well-calculated next step. The Camaro is also in the process of being redesigned to reflect emerging changes in prospective customer tastes. I would argue that the Chinese market is not driving this change, but, rather, the buyers in our domestic market.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:11 AM, Jayz929RR wrote:

This Mustang looks like the front end is being merged with the Fusion to help them save money being able to use on part for 3 different vehicles and the rear end looks wider to give it a look like the GT or something, it just looks like a freaking MESS to me, not attractive at all. Change is sometimes good, but that is a catastrophe.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:11 AM, debug013 wrote:

I don't know, the more I look at the artist drawing the more I like it. It looks lean and mean. It's not the look of the Mustang, but more like a shark. If it's 400+ pounds lighter than the current stang and they still drop in the coyote V8 that thing would be fast. And with the independent rear suspension, it would not only eat up the 1/4 mile but it would handle the curves as well.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:12 AM, overunder27 wrote:

@fpl1954, sorry, but I'm calling BS on that. You clearly have a bias for your choice in cars and backed it up with some insults towards the very character of people who don't share the same interests. We can't take anything you say as being serious, and you sure as hell don't speak for the people who purchase, get their hands dirty working on, and enjoy driving those types of cars.

And for the record, the implication of the Mustang, Camaro, etc class of cars as being just for "looks", the Camaro posted a run under 8 minutes at the vaunted Nurburgring. Making that 4 cars for GM under 8 minutes at the be-all, end-all track for automotive testing. I'm sure when the Mustang sheds some weight, they'll post a -8.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:13 AM, 2manystangs wrote:

As an owner of seven retro stangs, I have to say I hate the rear body look, so cartoonish. But, love the idea of a turbo mustang. How about making a throw back to the Fox body with turbo like the SVO? Smaller, lighter, better handling, 2.3 liter turbo. What's not to like??? Come on Ford, LISTEN to your loyal following.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:15 AM, cage102609 wrote:

Looks like a winner to me.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:18 AM, Gordon2525 wrote:

Epic FAIL.

Step right up, ladies and gentlemen. See the iconic Mustang jump the live shark...coming in 2015 !

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:19 AM, excelscior wrote:

Looks good to me, considering last years version looked terrible. At least this direction seems worth the time. Just don't lose the front face the Mustang is known for. Make those side air scoops functional on the rear quarter panels and that will make it look even more awesome!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:23 AM, bcweir wrote:

Just when you thought Ford had learned their lesson from the awful 1974 to 1978 Mustang II (as well as the thankfully aborted attempt to put the Mustang name on what became the Probe), product planners too young to remember either car seem intent on repeating the mistake.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:25 AM, afig367 wrote:

I love the rendering at the top of the page, but I'm also not the typical Mustang buyer.

This looks incredibly aggressive and I love the smooth European-like lines. It's somewhat similar to a V8 Vantage or Audi RS5 and, in my opinion, that's a big compliment.

I would buy this car and I've never owned an American vehicle.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:25 AM, dksmoothe77 wrote:

Take a look at the spy photos and you'll see they have homogenized the Mustang with the Fusion. Mustang is dead on arrival. The Camaro will reign thanks to Ford's horrendous misstep.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:26 AM, ocheewah wrote:

One more reason not to buy another Mustang. As much as I loved the look of my 2005 coupe, it was a mechanical money pit and was a very uncomfortable ride. If Ford wants to sell more Mustangs in the US, they need to look at reliability and comfort, areas in which my Camaro beats my Mustang hands-down, and leave the body style, which is a solid selling point, alone.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:29 AM, EvanBuck wrote:

Eh, the wheels aren't that great, but other than that I personally don't think the new Mustang is as bad as several commenters on here are making it out to be. It's all a matter of personal taste and preference.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:36 AM, AeroDesign wrote:

I think the 2015 Mustang looks BADA$$! It has the look and flavor of my 2012 Volkswagen Golf TDi especially with the short tail. I have an original owner (me, still have the window sticker) 1986 Mustang 5.0 GT 5-Speed which got bumped with an outrageous suspension, 4-wheel disk brakes and a 395 horse 331 Cubic Inch Stroker motor and close-ratio Tremec 5-speed and 3.73:1 heavy duty rear-end. The New Mustang looks like a cross between the Golf (which is like a roller-skate with a turbo (240 ft-lbs of torque) and rides on rails with a clean looking American muscle car. The '86 Four-Eye is fun to spook tuners with but lacks the aerodynamic sophistication which the new one could possess.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:38 AM, jeff7232 wrote:

Ford keeps changing things on the Mustang to try to compete with the Challenger and Camaro and keeps coming up with the short end of the stick. The Camaro is ruling the sales of these three and will continue as long as Chevy doesn't do a Ford.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:41 AM, KazooKitty wrote:

Hellloooo!!! I happen to be a 65 year old woman who LOVES Mustangs! I think when updating the Mustang they should keep it the similar style it has always been. Way cooler looking and forget those stupid wheels that look like bicycle tires.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:43 AM, StockgeniusII wrote:

As an owner of a Mustang fastback back in the 60s; I welcome the new next generation Mustang. I have gotten use to a more luxurious car interior and all the amenities associate with cars like the BMW 6 series and Audi R8.

Just hoping that the new Mustang will be more modern and have 4 wheel drive as an option.

Picture looks great if that is true rendering.

But based on past Ford Mustang models; I think Ford will revert back to the retro look of the 60s still and have substandard interior as usual.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:43 AM, tmeyer37 wrote:

The above picture is just a render not a production model picture. The current Mustang is already faster than a M3 around Laguna Seca and thats with a live rear axle. Just wait you will all be proven wrong when this car is released.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:45 AM, joverclock wrote:

built hundreds of engines. I think this car looks awesome. I highly doubt the production model will look this good. Just like the wrx concept. Based solely on just exterior looks. I would highly consider that mustang. Plenty of old boxes out there for the people who love previous looks BUILD IT EXACTLY LIKE THAT PLEASE!!!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:46 AM, Cuencanolenny wrote:

It is quite a list of Mustangs I have owned dating to 1968 with my first 1965, another one of those in Hi-Po version. A 1968 Mach 1 on through to a 1989 5.0L short deck version. I thought that last one outperformed all of the previous versions as it would turn and stop. The Mustang is fun to drive, like all pony cars it is a dry pavement vehicle too prone to swap ends when it is wet. I like this rendition, I think it is sexy and aggressive looking.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:47 AM, Firechicken427 wrote:

I think Ford is making big mistake here. Yes styling needs to be freshend up ever so often, but this is too extreme. A better approach would be to give Europeans their own car suited to their taste. Independent rear axles don't live too long on a dragstrip or for a leadfooted maniac like me.

The EcoBoost engine is a bad idea also. I have been around turbo's long enough to know they work well above certian rpms but suck off idle due to lag. Blowers work much better in a street car. Turbo's also do not live too long and are very expensive to replace after the warranty runs out. Ford has a good thing going, but I am afraid they are about to blow their foot off.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:47 AM, Tuite300 wrote:

I like the new look. It's showing up at the right time for me. I feel the retro look served it's purpose and now it is time to move on.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:50 AM, Browntreecat wrote:

Awesome modern look. Should sell well in Europe. Now as for the old die hard Ford-tang people, get over and on with it.

That retro look has run it's course twice now.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:51 AM, RainyDayV8 wrote:

This new car looks terrible! I drive a Mustang now and I love my car! Sales are going to crash again like they did in the past if this design is used. Keep the street/muscle with the original Mustang look. This new design looks ridiculous. Come on now!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:51 AM, BubbaTee wrote:

1) You are Motley Fool if you think that rendering is the new Mustang - that drawing has been kicking around the Internet for last few years. The actual spy photos do not show this shape.

2) Mustang sales pretty much crashed with the Great Recession as did the entire industry. Ford has sold over 1,000,000 Mustangs since the new 2005 model arrived. The upward trend, for an outdated design, has increased in sales since 2011.

3) The weight drop is about 300 lbs.

4) The new V-8 that is going into the Mustang will have 450-475 horsepower with clean emissions and good gas mileage. Can you say Corvette killer? 0 to times will be in the 4's and the quarter mile will come in around low 12's or high 11's. Needless to say, it will be the best Mustang ever.

5) Other engines will be kicked around for the average driver and the new platform will allow the Ecoboost engines to be stuffed into some American-Made Mustangs. Though those engines will be mainly requested in global sales. The American V-8 will still be the top dog even without turbo or supercharging.

6) The new Mustang does not go on sale until the Summer of 2014. As usual, the car will sell over the sticker price. The greedy Ford dealers will price gouge the Mustang fans for the first 6 months or so.

7) The GT model and other performance versions will be extremely expensive for people under the age of 25 to insure. This buying group will end-up with a 4 or 6 cylinder. If they want a V-8, they'll be looking up to $5,000 a year to insure. Plus, car payments.

8) The Mustang has had a world-wide following since 1964. Numerous Mustangs have been sold in Europe since the beginning. The global frame structure will allow overseas sales to offer a variety of engines to fit the needs of whatever country they go to.

9) Finally, this will be the best Mustang ever built. It will certainly surpass the Japanese cars in quality, performance, reliability and looks.

10) For those that fear a "ricer" look, no worries about that. The designers' primary mission is to please the American people first. You will know it is a Mustang. It will fit in well with older Mustangs and Mustang heritage will be used throughout the car. It is a car that will please just about everyone.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:52 AM, mobadthangood wrote:

Who's making it Toyota?

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:55 AM, betdon2 wrote:

I would not even call it a CAR ....... CARS quit existing in the early '80s . Al;l vehicles have become SO UGLY that only people with BLURRED vision would by them. Government neeeds to step aside and let the people decide what a CAR should be !!!!!!!!!!!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:56 AM, dede123 wrote:

WTH is that??? Funny I've always hated fords design and in the last few years I was really likening as a matter of fact we are planning on getting truck although we want a older model. I was really likening the Mustangs look but what the hell is up with the rear of that UGLY ASS car

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:59 AM, biggdawg49 wrote:

I've owned three Mustang's: '72, '82 and '88GT, and I have to say that I like this new look. That's one mean looking pony! It could be my fourth!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:59 AM, RailraodMike wrote:

Steve McQueen, where are you when we need you.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:04 PM, Jshphrd wrote:

Look at the peak in 2006-2007, that's when I bought my "Retro" look Mustang. Don't understand why they have mess up a good thing! I just hit 100,000 miles in mine, I'll drive it till it dies. Won't buy the revised version . . . thinking maybe a Challenger.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:04 PM, PlasticRobotoid wrote:

The problem is that this is an "artists rendering" and there are more than a few of them floating around right now. Either way, they all look like a massive improvement.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:04 PM, thanlannt wrote:

I love the new styling direction. Ford has to change or die...and of course, Ford wants to goes on to build cars and they chose to change...That's it and that's all folks...:)

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:07 PM, TMFTwoCoins wrote:

Yes, definitely keep in mind this is a Rendering by an artist. Ford has kept its new look under tight lock and key, although some spy photos have been released giving some details of the front end -- which is similar to this rendering.

As a shareholder of Ford, the author of this piece, and an owner of a 2010 Mustang GT -- I don't think the rendering looks THAT bad. If the actual 2015 Mustang looks similar, I'd still consider buying.

That said, the comments here prove why every redesign faces a significant risk -- people are either going to love or hate it.

Thanks for reading all,

Daniel

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:09 PM, CTNEMISIS wrote:

Looks like an Audi.

Thanks for the laziness Ford.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:10 PM, screenname100 wrote:

Just call it the Mustang II, like in the 70s.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:16 PM, wonsuni12 wrote:

Disappointed. Good thing I purchased my 2014. The mustang was one of the few cars that kept the look of a muscle car.

Recently Dodge and Chevrolet were following suit.

The new mustang looks like a Fusion on steroids.

Safe your money and purchase a fully equipped Fusion for less!!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:19 PM, Zochin wrote:

I think it will look a lot better in convertible guise.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:24 PM, badsheep wrote:

What is with the American muscle car hybrid kick? First, Chevrolet is making the Corvette look like the Camaro; now Ford wants the Mustang to morph into a Focus on steroids. Folks, simple is always better. Go with the look that sells, and give it cleaner lines, not a full facelift. When Ford came out with the new/old-look Pony for 2005, they had a winner. Bottom line: Ford, stop fixing what isn't broken! That is all.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:25 PM, lierlaky wrote:

I am a female who drives a 2007 Mustang and I have to say thank you! Thank you for making my car become a classic, because this new Mustang is UGLY! I don't think I will have a problem reselling my mustang when it is time to move on, people that love Mustangs will appreciate my models "classic lines". Since Ford has decided to make this years Mustang look like a Japanese econo car!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:25 PM, theomdude wrote:

Both GM and Chrysler are more in need of shaving pounds from their pony cars than Ford. The current Mustang has done well in comparison tests against the Camaro and Challenger mostly because it's based on a dedicated chassis shared with no other Ford, and comes out hundreds of pounds lighter already in consequence. The GM and Chrysler ponies both are based on large sedan platforms and cannot be slimmed down. Both will be doing the same thing Ford is doing with their Mustang soon. Chrysler is even contemplating reviving the Barracuda name for a smaller pony car.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:26 PM, Eds2468 wrote:

These manufacturers have a hard act to balance. #1 they have to meet all kinds of foolish govt. regs, #2 They have to appeal to a much youger demographic #3 They have to appeal to the geezers that still want the 65 Mustang they couldn't afford when they were kids. The Camaro reminds one of the old ones but it's actually not even close. Dodge is pretty close but......... We'll see what these Stangs will do once they hit the showroom and track.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:30 PM, kmshew wrote:

I don't like it but my husbands does, it looks to much like the Camaro, and that has it's own look which shouldn't be messed with either. But if Ford is smart it will go back to the purest look again. They can't stay away for it for too long because when they do they loose their following. People love their cars because of not only how they preform but also how they look.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:30 PM, jeffreycourtney wrote:

I love the Ford company and congratulate their successes. Being an owner of both 1965 & 1966 Mustang fastbacks, I appreciate the efforts to get weight out of the new model of the Mustang. I think the current Mustangs, while quite the performance cars, are big and ugly, compared to the first Mustangs. The new seems an improvement, however I think the wheels are ugly, and I wish that car manufacturers will go away from the big wheel fad, and go back to reasonablly-sized wheels/tires: 18 inch diameter wheels the max, 17 inch even better. This will improve the overall performance and cut the weight down further.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:30 PM, kca124cain wrote:

Love it.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:37 PM, slim1969 wrote:

I never liked the Mustang, until now. That looks way better.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:37 PM, Bobt1892 wrote:

The new proposed vehicle looks good to me. Very 21st century. Still has the "stang" front end and the rear wheel wells looks very modern. Now to get it into the REAL 21ST CENTURY it should offer a hybrid version. Instead of the 4 cylinder hybrid version Ford offers now, they should couple it up with a V6 version. I own a Milan hybrid and have never been happier with a vehicle.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:38 PM, kca124cain wrote:

The Mustang has always been a sporty, affordable 2+2 car to appeal toward singles and young families. While young families have gone onto minivans and suv's for the most part, The Mustang has held true to its original style (maybe excluding the 71-73, but even that was in this category at the time).

Love the car. I will buy one.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:38 PM, ElijahFox69 wrote:

IMO the last good Mustangs were the 68 and 69's.Never liked the new ones...the Vette,Challenger are the only ones I would consider buying.Though I feel this one looks like all the other Hondas,Nissans ect.on the road.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:39 PM, BloviationNation wrote:

Uh oh, here we go again. Like 1974 all over again. The 74 Mustang was significantly smaller, lighter and uglier. In that one year Ford essentially buried the Mustang. The damage would take over 30 years to correct. I'm a Chevy man but I feel for you Mustang guys. The future isn't looking so good for you.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:42 PM, sgraves73 wrote:

Looks like a cross breed of the Mercury Cougar and a Ford Mustang. I just don't think it looks right.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:45 PM, kca124cain wrote:

Eds2468, most of us old guys could easily afford the 60's mustangs when we were kids. And mny of us had them. You could easily pick up a 5 yr old mustang in those days for just a few hundred dollars. And even new, they were pretty reasonable, jut like now.

When I drive my daughters 06, it reminds me of my 67, but without the problems and much more comfort.

I will get a 2015.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:45 PM, AlfredMBA wrote:

The one on the picture looks great, I don't know why everyone is being dumb about it. Oh, it might be because you are proud owners of Ferraris and Lamborghinis? Please! You probably drive a cheap car to begin with.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:48 PM, kca124cain wrote:

Someone mentioned it looked like an Audi. I suggest they see an eye doctor ASAP

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:49 PM, kca124cain wrote:

There is enough primary design here so that anyone would recognize it as a Mustang.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 12:53 PM, nelsonsmoke20 wrote:

I will keep my 65 Ford keep your 2015

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Holechaser69 wrote:

People have to wake up! The only reason that the Mustang,Camaro, & Challenger were redesigned to the vintage look is because Ford, Chevy, & Chrysler were desperate to sell cars! If it weren't the case, it never would have happened. Does everyone expect them to keep that same model look forever? Consider them collectors items because change is happening again.

I recently bought a new F150. They had new Mustangs on the showroom floor. I asked the dealer how sales were, and he smirked and said "Every 18 year old kid walks in with hopes that his father will buy him one". He went on to say that sales weren't really there. The ford focus is the hot seller.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:01 PM, mrfixxer25 wrote:

Will I see ford drop the ball on this one I can see sells sinking already on 2015 mustang its was bad when the rear got rounded and look like it came off a boat now the front end looks like its off a BMW. Its a MUSTANG made in the USA its should not look like a car made overseas. lets not make a new mustang II. if someone wants a smaller car then let them buy a KIA.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:02 PM, jroxx1121 wrote:

i like it, why all the bad comments? its called change, nothing stays the same. if you like the old models, buy an old one. if you like the new one, buy a new one. simple as that.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:03 PM, nelsonsmoke20 wrote:

Ford is this an American car or a Chinese

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:03 PM, FriscoLou wrote:

Front end looks more Mustangy than the back.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:04 PM, luckyagain wrote:

Losing 400 pounds and still have a big V8 is the ticket to a better Mustang. I really doubt if anyone buying one will put a Mustang on a scale and ask where the extra weight is.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:05 PM, nelsonsmoke20 wrote:

remember the Mustang ll where did that go Ford

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:05 PM, Hanklash wrote:

I love the rendering, its time to keep up with the latest in style

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:12 PM, boccci wrote:

Ford could care less about anything but making money. In '64 the number one ride at the New York World's Fair was a Mustang at the Ford Pavilion. iacocca scored big...Ford made millions...and at some point the design and performance went south.

They're doing it again.

In the interim Ford owned Jaguar, which should have given them a leg up in design and engineering but the best that came out of that Jag, Rover, Aston period is the Aston front end look on their bread and butter car.

Same with Camaro. They messed it up...revived it and came out with a horrible, uncomfortable, Cacamaro

American design!...Azteks are starting to look good. Which brings up another question....Why would anyone name a car after a proctologist?

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:13 PM, mitymo66 wrote:

YES! Finally Ford designs a sports car especially a mustang I can get behind. This design is fresh, new (although I see inspiration from the Aston-Martin series....which I love!). This is a kitty designed to purr. People need to stop crying and complaining and give this car a chance. After decades of wondering what the designers at Ford were smoking, I am excited about this car and would finally buy a mustang. I honestly don't get half the comments on this site. Some people need to just put down the home made deer jerkey go back and finish 8th grade spelling or learn how to use spell checker, some need to focus and stop blaming the chinese for everything (see comment about aston-martin...a english design. diff continent from china.), or just plain get used to and accept change. Change is goooood, ignorance baaaad.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:16 PM, gadeko wrote:

The Hilljacks will hate it. Anyone with any taste in cars will love it. Problem is, 'merika is full of Mustang lovin' Hilljacks.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:16 PM, Holechaser69 wrote:

I see people are complaining that it looks foreign like an Audi or BMW?

Audi and BMW are selling...the current Mustang isn't.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:20 PM, flagellum wrote:

All these cars are getting to look pretty much the same. No originality.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:27 PM, Sauns944 wrote:

Personally, I'm SO SICK and TIRED of the old style Mustang.... "IF" they release one like is depicted above, I might be interested in buying one. IF they choose to re-hash the old, tired design.... they can keep it. All those who complain about Ford changing the out of date design should go out and buy a 60's version of your favorite model Mustang and let Ford upgrade it's design.... either that or bury it already!! Time for something new!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:29 PM, 2mustang2 wrote:

I have had mustangs most of my adult life and I have always been proud to show them off. If Ford produces this version, I will not be buying a new one in the future. What did they do to the back end, and those wheels? OMG....

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:30 PM, Alericc wrote:

Next they will cut the engine back to a 6 cyclinder like they did in the 80s and wonder why sales are dipping even more.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:31 PM, khatmandu wrote:

Admitted, it IS a bit of a change from the "traditional" body style of Mustangs-past (tapered hood & nose plus a stretched-out rear with the axle pushed back for better stability (independent suspension). But if you want to make progress AND be competitive at the same time...you MUST accept change...albite it COULD be radical. The redesigned rear (for the fully independent rear suspension) is a VERY smart move by FORD. The live axle in older models led to a lot of "chatter" on dry pavement on curves AND handling instability in bad weather (skidding in the rear). Their re-design is right from the Formula-1 playbook, and it looks like a win-win combination!!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:42 PM, jmlancelotjr wrote:

the sales chart at the top to me coincides with when gas prices started skyrocketing around 06/07.

i owned an '09 and an '11. gas mileage sucked, but hey i didn't buy them for gas mileage. the sales start to improve when they replaced the engines with more powerful/better mpg engines.

having said that, technology upgrades, emissions/mpg improvements and so on are fine.

this redesign for a global market is i think a terrible mistake. the mustang is an american muscle car, therefore it should look and SOUND like an american muscle car.

putting a 2.5 with a turbo in the hopes that they will sell in europe seems like a huge stretch to me.

at the same time, making it look like a german car doesn't have much appeal to me considering all the german cars already on the market.

oh well, bye bye mustang

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:43 PM, fatboy46 wrote:

Wow! Just because you have an idea, doesn't mean it looks good. the rear wheel well flares are UGLY- and look like some Wal-martian attempt to make the car look 'sporty'. Where is the 2x4 and plywood rear spoiler?

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:44 PM, messbythedoor wrote:

What they should do is take a poll of what the all time favorite make and model mustang was and create it as close to original form as possible with a few slight advantages current technology can give..well either exactly duplicate it or take the car body and rod up the engine a little with modern tech as if we were going back to that time with current knowledge you could call it the retro gt or something

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:46 PM, DannyGos wrote:

I think it looks cool. Just like the new Corvette, I like it. I think fans of these cars should send in their artist rendition of what the new model should look like on any model car, be it the Camaro, the Corvette or the Mustang. Car and Driver should dedicate a whole or maybe a special edition mag to this idea, and allow voting via the internet to take place, then they can submit the idea(s) to the manufacturers and the designers can finish the finer points.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:48 PM, preds303 wrote:

I understand that the photo is just a rendering, but the rear 1/3 of the car is about ugly. Only the Aztec has an uglier rear end. ugh!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:50 PM, kosteckit2 wrote:

first off I have to say I love ford all different kinds of them but the mustang has a special place for most ford fans and besides the ugly duckling 80's models this has to be the worst I've seen!!!! AS most folks here keep saying sports car this car is not nor ever has been this car has it's own category just like the Camaro and corvette and dodge superbee and charger and that category is true American muscle car .....the mustang and this whole list of cars ...some still being made ...and there are many others that fit in this list ....but sports car is not and never shall be the list ....the list is AMERICAN MUSCLE MADE IN AMERICA FOR AMERICANS JUST BECAUSE WE CAN

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:53 PM, Holechaser69 wrote:

Expect Camaro and Challenger to follow as well, unless they've already stared redesigning already.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:54 PM, billyraayn wrote:

Looks like Ford is finally using their stake in Aston Martin for something.....I like it!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 1:58 PM, george6772 wrote:

I love the mustangs, currently I have a 69 428 mach 1 in my garage love it. But in saying that I also like the rendering of the new mustang. Reminds me of an Austin Martin. In the automotive industry whether it is hot rodding or muscle cars or sport cars you cannot keep doing the same old thing. If you like classic mustangs then do what I did buy a classic mustang. But I just have to say it again I like the new mustang.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:01 PM, Sonny1965 wrote:

OK. Now to add my 2 cents. The new Mustang styling Sucks, simply put! THIS particular design has been out for 5 almost 6 years by now. What I'm going to say Will piss off Americans; and I was when I heard it myself: This is as close to what was said as I can remember from a 2005 meeting: "For us at Ford to compete on the Global market, our design team Cannot be here in America. The U.S. is not a 'typical representation' of the world market but more of a niche market. Since most of our Globally accepted styling cues have come from Australia, that's where our designs will be penned from now on; for the Global market. This is just a relocation of assets, not a departmental elimination." Sad to say this was a meeting that included those of us from Caterpillar who supplied Ford with injector design and engine testing. The rendition as we all know by now, named The EVO, has slowly been incorporated into the Fusion and Taurus. The direction they are headed is to have 2 front fascias and 3 rear per platform. Basically 3 sub-compacts, 3 compacts and 3 mid-size models while just using 3 chassis designs. There were 2 questions that were put out there for Ford Corp to answer: #1 "Since the designs are moving out of the country, why does the Pride in American design have to be eliminated? #2 Why can't America have the UTE (their version of the Ranchero) brought here to the states since there has been more than ample means for profit over the transportation costs?" To that I was politely asked to leave and escorted out. Americans are sadly turning into mindless wimps buying what is offered and NOT putting pressure in our OWN companies to design, build and market what WE want instead of giving us the worlds leftovers. The truth is that most of the Big 3 cars were NOT designed here. Yes they were designed by our employees but not here in America. Our citizens are becoming stepchildren to our own companies.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:03 PM, ChargerGirl wrote:

I think the tires/rims is the ONLY thing that makes this car look remotely appealing. I have always loved Mustangs, until I owned the Dodge Charger Daytona Edition. The first thing I thought when I looked at this car was, Fusion. I like the Fusion, but not as a Mustang. Bad idea FORD.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:04 PM, TD2Guy wrote:

Ford has been known to stray away from the their original vehicle's category. Just look at the Thunderbird. Originally conceived to be a direct competitor to the Corvette in the mid 50's. It transformed into a 4 door sedan in the late 60's. At the same time, the Vette already built a reputation for its track monster Grand Sport. Now they're attempting to do the same for the muscle mustang, to turn it into a rice rocket compact. Consistency anyone?

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:04 PM, 1970mike wrote:

WOW...that's a big change. It looks like a cross between a Volvo C30 and a German only VW Scirroco... but on a bigger scale. that's one of those things you might have to just see in person before judging...but first impression is yuck. It reminds me of the mustang II disaster. the only thing good from that era was the front end which ended up on hot rods. Sorry Ford

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:05 PM, red2million wrote:

Previously I would have never considered a Mustang. My favorites for Mustangs are the late 70's early 80's style, and the late 90's early 2,000 style. Don't like the current "retro" version at all.

However, this is one sharp looking car. For the price range, there's not much out there that turns my head. I would seriously consider buying this car.

To each his own obviously. That's why there are all different kinds of cars available. I hope Ford does end up putting this car in production.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:07 PM, juggernautxtr wrote:

PLEASE!!!!!! BRING THAT OUT!!!

retro is dead, quit living in the past and get with the future. i am 40 yrs old, want an older looking stang go buy one,plenty available sitting in the used car lots.

THE MUSTANG IS A SPORTS CAR WHETHER YOU LIKE TO CALL IT THAT OR NOT! SVT(special vehicles team)

the retro look is crap, so dime a dozen and generic looking, not to mention heavy and not much room for improving.

The Cobra is ready to strike. call it what you like, but is totally better looking than the generic retro follow the heard designing.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:10 PM, thedude47 wrote:

nismo meets mustang. it's not bad looking, and they can always go retro again in a few years.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:23 PM, Zeytellem27 wrote:

1st...Why do I have to scroll all the way to the bottom to comment?(stupid)

2nd Some of you are blind... yes I have been a Mustang Fan since I could walk and I have only seen about 4 different body styles.. but if they are looking to appeal the global (oversea) market then they hit the jackpot on this design.. I love the new look only thing is now it dosnt look like the Muscle car they wanted it to be... now it looks like a SuperCar... Now they need to upgrade the power that this bad boy deserves and the fans deserve...

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:23 PM, NyteFyre22 wrote:

The car looks awesome, but it's no Mustang. It's going to alienate Mustang fans in a big way. They would be just as successful with using it to launch a newly named car, or resurrect an old name like the GT40. That fits on this way better than the Mustang.

Bad form Ford. Bad form.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:27 PM, Halftrak1 wrote:

My 1st car was a 65 Stang! Loved it, but the Mustang Ghia, yuck, and you can keep that Brittish mtr too..Been a Ford Tech for 36 years, and when someone puts Probe in the same paragraph with Mustang, my heart goes real low..

Shelby & Roush Stangs..BEAUTIFUL!!! Just don't let the Europeans influence you guys, American Ideas are not dead, and very capable of keeping the Mustang and Chevy Camaro competition going world wide! Just got to use our heads and our style to show what can really be done!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:28 PM, Amberyerno wrote:

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Seriously, Ford? THIS is what you come up with? Are you even LISTENING to your consumers? People WANT the retro-styling. It's what makes it LOOK like a Mustang. This looks like where pretty much every other car on the road is going (which is why the mid-90s 'Stangs kind of flop).

Of the three main "retro" cars; the Mustang, Challenger and Camaro, the least-generic and best-looking of the bunch is frankly the Challenger. Because it LOOKS like the classic Challenger.

Ford should make the Mustang MORE retro, not less.

And they should chop the price. What made the original Mustangs so special was that even the top-line models were actually affordable to the average consumer. $40,000+ is not.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:29 PM, orourke08 wrote:

Thats awesome, GREAT LOOK! Ford is the freshest line up out of all the car brands. Love to see a Mustang powered with the 2.0 ECO BOOST.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:31 PM, Howie47 wrote:

Mustangs of the last ten years have been butt ugly. That whole muscle car image sucks. Get me some sweet feminine lines. loose all those angles and creases. I'm a man who wants to drive and ride a female. NOT no homo that wants a penis extension, to drive around in. And drop some weight and size. Bigger is only better if your a Neanderthal.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:31 PM, chustro wrote:

Looks like a oversize Dogde Dart!!!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:34 PM, biglefty35 wrote:

WTF !!!!! it looks like two cars put together y can they look back to the 1990 ford mustang gt 5.0 slick look and pure muscle

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:34 PM, mande6 wrote:

Actually I like it! I have never been a fan of the newer side style, I have always liked the side style of the cars up to 1998, but I like the overall look of this one. I agree that the skinny tires need to go and I think the front end is a bit short. Also it needs a spoiler. But I am no expert, that is just my opinion.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:35 PM, skibryce wrote:

You call that a Mustang. You must be joking. Ford, get a life!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:35 PM, Rod333 wrote:

I dont think its that this is a awful looking car as much as the fact that there's not much "MUSTANG" left in it... I agree with a couple of the commentors above ..Remember 74-78? and It does look a bit "fast and furious".. I'm not even saying that it won't have a certain amount of appeal and it does have a taste of "super sexy" about it, but it's definitely "Mustang of the Future" ..I barely see the "Mustang" in it.. Its maybe 20% Muslang and the other 80% looks like an "asian import".. Sorry thats just how I feel.. I think it will sell, I just don't think people will look at it like a "TRUE MUSTANG"... It jumped the time warp to fast Scotty! She's breaking apart ! ...

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:45 PM, 1oldschoolguy wrote:

Everyone can have differing opinions. I myself have never been a fan of Ford vehicles. I have seen many different versions of the Mustang. The only two I would have considered buying were the old MACH 1 fastback and the Shelby Cobra. The small versions such as the Mustang II seemed to me to be wimpy ladies cars. Few large cars can pull off the sporty look but there are exceptions such as the old Road Runner, the old Mustang Mach 1 Fastback, the Chevelle SS 396/454 ,and some others, and the new Porsche Panamera. All that being said IF I could afford to buy this new version of the Mustang I would. It looks powerful aggressive and sporty all rolled up in one package. The tires seem a bit too thin and the rims way too large but if these tires could hold up at high speeds and improved the handling it would not be an issue. Thumbs up Ford I LIKE IT!!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:46 PM, helpfindacure wrote:

Have had mustangs got one now but not this crap..............ford did ok in 2000 until now I just shake my head that they pay good money to people to ruin things.........

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:48 PM, Rod333 wrote:

Im not going to lie.. You take the Horse out of the Grill and I would have thought it was a Misubishi .. Sorry.. It looks like it would be an updated version of a Mistsubishi Eclipes or some kind of Z car... It looks very "asian" to me.. Like it's lost ALL OF What was AMERICAN about it.. Maybe that was the intent.. Like everything elsoe in this country... You took the football, hotdogs, Oscar Meyer and XXX right out of it... Thats just how I feel..

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:50 PM, scelzisays wrote:

That is NOT, I repeat, NOT the new Mustang!!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:50 PM, didntdoit wrote:

I don't know about anyone else, but I thought that the Corvette looked like a junk box ever since they molded it European. Now the new Corvette they are coming with (just my opinion) look a lot more "American." Hey Ford !! Wake up and learn a lesson! Change it, and your gonna lose a lot of Mustang Customers. If I wanted European, I would go there an buy. I hate everything about this new design. You DO need to refine what you have. Come on....get innovative! There is soooo much that could be done to what you have that could make it look really awesome. The rear wheels on the new design look like they are ready to pop out of the back of the car! Terrible!!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:50 PM, cdt1950 wrote:

Seriously???? What on earth is that a picture of? Good luck Ford trying to sell this Mustang! It looks like the you put the front end of one car together with the rear end of something else. Can't tell what either of them are!!!!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:54 PM, Line3 wrote:

Did anyone tell Ford that the Chevy Camaro was a flop?? Thats what this looks like or a new version BMW. Come on give us some mussel put your big boy pants back on and take off that thong. I Own three Mustangs and my kids love them too dont make me go looking again like you did in the 80's.

The Horse Rules!!!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:58 PM, Distillerman wrote:

Please bring back the Pinto and the Maverick. Put some HP under the hood, and those beauties will be flying out of the showroom.

Note to GM: Ever thought of retooling the Vega?

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 2:58 PM, Godisgood15 wrote:

I say yes its different, doesn't look like the mustang we know and love,but it still does have that " I Want that Car " look. The next Mustang will probably have wings and fly lol. We can't be scared of change. The front end still has the old Mustang look. Don't like new look I'm sure the old 1 will always be around.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 3:05 PM, friendofbear wrote:

Looks like a copyright lawsuit from Disney.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 3:18 PM, dsl417 wrote:

I saw a picture of an extremely similar vehicle on the American Muscle site only without the Mustang logo. It was captioned "2011 Ford Evos Concept Car".

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 3:19 PM, nickyKW wrote:

The middle aged Mustang lovers are no longer interested in "high speed" My 2003 stang is just enough for me at this age. Maybe a little more bling & glitz and not so much speed would be nice for us ole' farts that LOVE our old ponies.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 3:25 PM, drodda wrote:

A mustang and a probe fell in love and had a baby.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 3:27 PM, Rod333 wrote:

GisG... I agree to a certain extent but if I bought it , It wouldn't feel real " Mustangy" to me..I dont even dislike it so much as much as I think it doesn't have much mustang left in it. I may be one of the few, but I thought the ones from the mid 90's on up until recently were improving the "mustang" feel again.. They looked or were starting to resembe the originals modified for the "American" future.. I think that the economy has kept the mustang from selling more than anything and the fact that its just not very practical now days as far as use wise. I would probably buy this one but not because I felt it was really a mustang but because I thought it was a "sharp" out there sports car. I don't think there's enough money out there for the true Mustang fans to support the habit in this country any longer so ford, chevy , dodge and the rest have starting shooting for "global" appeal.. The market is opening up with the"Globalization" plan.. They have to appeal to the international market now or they won't survive.. North America is not America of the past.. Our ethinic population is changing fast along with their taste.. America of the future, even in the auto industry is catering to an "ethinic" mix now. . They are keeping in stride with the times without regard to the "old boys club" mustang fans of America. Its being updated for a global market. As I said before.. It looks very "mitsubishi" / asian / european / a touch of American. Its got a "Globalized" selling appeal. Personally I believe it will sell.. Maybe not to the die hard "old school" fans but , as bad as it is to say, that market is dying with the generation. Those mustangs are relics of "OUR" past.. Collectables.. Old mans toys. The only way you will bring back old "American Mustang" is with a VERY PRICEY price tag.. Sell to a certain market / clientel that can afford it and these days, theres not a lot of money in that market.. Mustang was the "poor mans" sports car to a certain extent. .. To keep it that way they will have to globalize the market. Its an UGLY WORLD we live in ( ha). The asians are out selling us on our own soil.. We are going to have to make "their" cars and sell them to ourselves and to us to keep our own auto industry abreast with the rest of the world. Thats the truth of it. Ford, Chevy and the rest can't just sell to the appeal of the American market any longer. If they dont create univeral appeal, they will die like many others gone before. Its a dog eat horse world....

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 3:32 PM, cascadesvc wrote:

I would NEVER buy a Ford again. It's all JUNK after 60K miles. And DON'T dear tell me anything different. I am a test engineer, of which I do testing and failure analysis day in and day out. Nothing has changed with Ford. Design obsolescence is king. Sub-components and assemblies will always be designed to fail within 100K or 7 years. With that said, this is why I buy Toyota or Honda products. If you've ever been to Japan, you'll understand that they think different than Americans. In America, the Dow and NASDQ are God. In Japan, honor and integrity are God. Are you listening Ford? Of course not, just make a new commercial and talk about quality because us Americans are too stupid to know fact from fiction. The Mustang is Junk. Always has been and always will be.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 3:33 PM, michelclim1955 wrote:

come on people, I'm sure that when you see this car in person and see the advantages that ford will build into it, you will love the car. Do we really think that a car will not progress with the times? Ford is going in the right direction. F40 lines on the horizon.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 3:34 PM, cascadesvc wrote:

JUNK!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 3:35 PM, Theprofessor24 wrote:

This clinches it for me. I will keep my vintage mustang, but my next car will be a Tesla!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 3:40 PM, Theprofessor24 wrote:

The Japanese culture may value honor and integrity. But I am not sure that their large industrial overlords are any different from ours. All international industrialists. I am still planning on getting a TESLA before they become too large and greedy.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 3:49 PM, OldManSunshine wrote:

Why do all the auto companies think that eventually we all join street gangs or have the desire to drive these low ridin' sports cars? Leave the Mustang alone. It took years for you to get it right again, don't screw it up again! Leave the rice burner looking cars to the Japanese!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 3:50 PM, jamesinkeys wrote:

Looks like a poor mans Aston Martin......

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 3:51 PM, Ryan117 wrote:

You have to love how out of touch the media and Ford both are with the CORE mustang enthusiasts. The 03-04 Cobra had IRS. WE ALL scrapped it for the MUCH more dependable 8.8 Solid Axel. Sorry people but the Mustang GT is and always should be a Drag racer. If you want a fast track car, Get a Roush or Saleen Mustang. The GT should never come with IRS. I have worked on many of the new Camaros. One of the biggest aftermarket changes for an SS Camaro is a FORD 9" solid axel swap. Same thing with the mew Challenger. IRS rearends are horrendously weak compared to a well built Solid Axel.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 3:53 PM, CousinVint wrote:

If a sleek, fast and well handling aggressive looking Mustang sells poorly world wide Ford can easily go back to the old bloated poor handling boat it used to be.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 3:59 PM, patrickaj wrote:

To be honest. I like the design. I definitely agree that it's not what I think of when I think of a mustang. It looks a lot more like an Aston Martin Zagato. But it's a good looking design

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 4:05 PM, brokeinTX wrote:

I stopped reading when they said something about narrowed and shorter.

The Mustang is an AMERICAN car. Don't make it into a world car. You've lost buyers once that happens... I wouldn't buy one if it were "world-ified". Do not mess with an American classic.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 4:07 PM, cascadesvc wrote:

Tesla? Good God! That's for copykat people. Get a real car for gods sake.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 4:13 PM, Kilibreaux wrote:

I don't expect the average goob American to appreciate Ford trying to bring the Mustang from 1965 up to 2014...just like the average goob American would prefer the 1954 Corvette over the much more capable, more Internationally competitive model we see today.

Yes the Mustang started out as a "style" ride with a slant six and 3 speed on the floor...but it also got an original 327 V8 that gave it some teeth to cavort about on weekend nights along the "main drag" of every U.S. town.

Granted the Mustang II was an abysmal failure created in the days before computer controlled systems and the modern grasp of how to make powerful engines deliver pretty damn good fuel economy. But since the "new retro" Mustang hit the market a few years back it's been all golden for Ford and the Marque known as Mustang.

It's really TIME for Ford to being moving the design forward...as with all brands it either moves forward or dies on the vine - despite our domestic goobers who still think they made 'em better in 1969.

The REASON European cars are rated so highly by the entire world is because they start with the foundation and build up...they may not slap on fancy sheet metal but they build cars that are nimble, quick as a thought, and capable of precise driver control combined with engines ranging from pretty potent to rip-snorting, rampaging maniac power. America has been playing catch-up with Europe for decades when it comes to taut, quickness that defies definition...but we KNOW IT when we drive it. VW isn't known for the most stylish cars...neither is Audi or Volvo, but they ALL build cars that are a pure driver's experience...

What Ford MUST do is not simply cobble up a fancy, "powerfully styled" exterior, it must give that exterior meaning..."form following function" as it were. Where those rear fenders flare to contain the massive tires there should be REAL vents to pump cooling air to the massive rear brake rotors...not fake vents...REAL vents. Any hood scoops or fancy intake treatments need to connect to REAL intake components...not "window dressing" to impress the goober crowd.

Ford SHOULD INDEED make the Mustang smaller and lighter...a tiny Lotus Elise with a mere 120 ponies can run circles around the current Mustang...why? Because it's HALF the weight, smaller, with a more taut suspension meant for those who know the difference between poseur and perfectly balanced!

When it comes to American cars EVERY aftermarket tuner starts with the suspension, brakes, tires, wheels, and steering...'cause America knows how to drop in a hugely powerful V8, but it comes up lacking in how to make everything else work WITH that V8...the Europeans don't have that deficiency.

So I applaud Ford for starting to infiltrate edgy, modern styling into it's perrenial sports platform...just as Chevy has done with Corvette...they'll lose some dweeb-wads, but they'll gain the people who actually have the MONEY to spend on performance IF they show they can deliver at a price-point that generates sales.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 4:15 PM, tiger023 wrote:

Notice that Mustang sales have declined since the last redesign, which was a real downer. Best recent styling was the 1999-2004 version, and Ford would do well to copy some of that muscle into its newest iteration.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 4:17 PM, kstallworth wrote:

I have been a mustang person since 2003 and I don't drive nothing but a mustang. If they change the car look I need to start walking. I don't like how It look and I would not drive It. I had a wreck in my mustang and they was going to total It out I cried like a baby to let me keep my car. They told me I could and I fix It and me and car is moving like fire I would not give up my mustang for no other car on the market. I like ford car because they are hard to break down. Since I had my car I have never had to put it in the shop. I want to say to the company please don't change the look of the mustang.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 4:22 PM, Kilibreaux wrote:

BTW, solid rear axles are WAY PASSE for competitive sports cars....they're great for drag-racing gumbas, but can NEVER, EVER, EVER compete on any course with a bend in it!

Solid axles are GREAT for JEEPS intended to actually go rock-climbing because they can articulate wildly...are cheap, strong, easy to modify...but all modern sports cars use Independent rear suspension.

What Ford SHOULD do is say F*c( 0## to the "bad boy image bunch" and go clean sheet with the Mustang...big bulging front grills are ALL about "image" and nothing about performance...a huge front grill seems to make the average puny-penis dude feel strong and powerful when he's tailgating someone, but serves no proper aerodynamic purpose...if it DID we'd have huge grills on the front of fighter jets!

I personally LIKE the way Chevrolet has morphed the Corvette into a more international form...and it's capable of running with the international "big boys" now too! Ford needs to go the same way with Mustang.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 4:27 PM, kstallworth wrote:

If I had the money I would buy another mustang I love a mustang car. I like the look they have now the new look don't give the mustang justice. They need to keep the front look and change the back look. And then I would buy it that way the mustang keep It look.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 4:29 PM, btc909 wrote:

I'd fill in the stupid 2nd row porthole window but otherwise it looks nice. The current car looks like a massaged 2 door sedan.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 4:29 PM, LungsOfSteel wrote:

Comparing the Mustang with the Corvette is like comparing the Mustang with a Ferrari - why do people insist on comparing the two? One's a sporty car with humble underpinnings while the other is a full-fledged sports car.

As far as the spy pic is concerned, it is nothing new, and the Mustang won't be debuting till April anyway so to ask for my opinion on something that's not concrete is rather moot.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 4:29 PM, nutbush1 wrote:

My first car was a 65' mustang because I loved the striking new design. It was unlike anything else being made at the time. This new mustang has lines that are very attractive. I like it. Fortunately for all the haters there are an array of alternatives. Happy shopping !!!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 4:30 PM, btc909 wrote:

Lose the stupid side view mirrors and install cameras. Screens on the left & right sides of the inside of the vehicle.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 4:31 PM, jmonticalvo54 wrote:

I don't like it..it's getting away from being a muscle car...

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Keeperofthekey wrote:

I keep my CTS, thank you.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 4:40 PM, greyfalcon2112 wrote:

Okay... So it looks like an Aston Martin knock off. If Ford wants to follow suit with a car along these lines, fine. Go for it. But to keep the fans who are loyal to the 'outdated' muscle car, (like the people who LOVE the Challenger) leave the Stang alone and find a new name for the new platform. Personally, I'd throw down the money for a V-8 Falcon XB like the lucky Aussies get to sport around.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 4:40 PM, poboxster wrote:

I like it, except for the rear side window. I think recent Mustangs have not sold because they have been so ugly.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 4:59 PM, jb80538 wrote:

That's not a Mustang. That's a Focus with stupid looking rubber band tires.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 5:03 PM, 1styrstangowner wrote:

I was a first yr stang owner for $2300.00 actually it was mid year. Have been a loyal stang fan since. That makes me 74 yrs old. But this is the 21st century boys and girls and if that's the new stange it's worthy of the 21st century styling. .....Bravo Ford, there's still the stange aroura but 21st century styling. I maybe buy a first yrs edition of this awsome looking car with it's American Euro looking car. HOT! HOT! HOT! bring on the flack kiddies and die hards. LOL Ford, all the way to the bank.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 5:05 PM, jimmyj79 wrote:

Not sure what's up with all the hate on the redesign. It is clear that the retro look is old and not selling for Ford. Heck the only reason for the retro look was for the baby boomers to buy a new Ford product. It worked, for a little while. The Camaro has outsold the Mustang and while there are cues to the cars past it has a modern look....it sells, something the Mustang isn't doing.

As for making the 2015 Mustang smaller, has anyone compared the 1964 Mustang to a 2013 model? The newer car dwarfs the original. Mustang can go on a diet.

And I really don't think a turbo 4 will sell in large numbers (in America), the original SVO sure didn't, though it was a different time so hopefully I'll be wrong on that one.

Lastly, when a lightly optioned Mustang GT is just below 40k, that is lower premium car market territory not muscle car (affordable w/a lot of power) territory. The Mustang is not a muscle car nor is it a sports car, it's a pony car. Heck it created that market with the Camaro, Firebird, Challenger, Barracuda.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 5:06 PM, Mega wrote:

Ugly

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 5:10 PM, iefbr14 wrote:

The Mustang is not a sports car, as it (at least nominally) has more than two seats, nor is it truly a musclecar in the classic sense. It's a ponycar; that is, a downsized musclecar with lots of power, and it is the originator of that segment. The idea is to be sporty, attractive, fast, and affordable. It's for people who like the stoplight grand prix and the highway on-ramp, but will never learn heel-and-toe downshifting in a million years (i.e., people like me). So inasmuch as the focus is on the thrill of acceleration, getting rid of the live rear axle in favor of IRS does nothing more than add cost and complexity, in exchange for a slight bump in cornering most of us will never notice or use. Spend the money on the powertrain, that's my suggestion.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 5:11 PM, limegold wrote:

I like it! i am a mustang enthusiast. I have owned and restored many mustangs, shelbys and boss mustangs. from 1965 thru 1971. I have also bought new fox body gt. mustangs and curently have two 2012 mustangs that i am very happy with. This rendering looks very cool and appealing to me. As i understand they are going to have a 4cly. cobrajet get ready to rumble boys!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 5:16 PM, Baddasss wrote:

I'm not a mustang guy, but this is a Pretty nice looking car. I love the way the back looks and the front. It's due time they did this makeover @mustangwinner.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 5:24 PM, autobaht383 wrote:

Funny how that graph doesn't mention the decline of the entire auto industry during those years and the recession of well, everything.

Anyway, Mustang sales have not been in such disastrous shape as has made to be, especially when people think the Camaro is the champion. Camaro had the lead since it came back from its extinction years, but probably because of a gimmick-type effect. Mustang sales have beaten Camaro's for a while now (http://www.usatoday.com/story/driveon/2013/07/03/ford-mustan....

But yes, the pony car genre is a niche market. It represents a lot even though the majority would never buy one. The Mustang is an icon and will always be, and every redesign has had its naysayers and its fans.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 5:31 PM, autobaht383 wrote:

Also, no mention of the increase in sales since 2009 as the graph says. It's not that the Mustang isn't selling. That's not the reason for a redesign at all. Ford has wanted to something for the car's 50th anniversary, a redesign, which happens every 6-7 years for the car, was desired.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 5:47 PM, rsf3612 wrote:

I'm reminded of what Chevy did to the Chevelle in 1973. Yuck.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 5:54 PM, FoolforaFord wrote:

Are you kidding me? I am a die hard Ford lover and a Mustang driver until I die. I have loved them since my Dad bought his first, a 64 1/2 and parked it in our

driveway in San Diego. Except for the silly mistake

with the Mustang II I have found a way to love every body style put out there, however when you make it to start looking like a Toyota or even worse a Honda product I am dumbfounded. Part of Ford's allure is their "Made in America" look. Please please please go back. I am heartbroken. While I was looking to buy a new Mustang soon. I now sadly will be buying used at best or may just keep the one I have. After all it is a 2002 has only 120k on it and has a Cherry

body and interior. Why switch if the options are a step down? Such a sad sad day at my house!!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 6:05 PM, reallyterrible wrote:

people always baggin' on the mustang II's of the 70's. where else would we get the independant front ends for our real hotrods?

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 6:15 PM, VicnMic wrote:

Shame on Motley Fool! You provoked negative comments with your headline. Ford should restrict you from purchasing the Mustang forever just for trying to bring out the negative, controversial comments!

I like it and have saved this in my favorites to show my son who is a serious Mustang fan. Unfortunately he is only 14 and won't be able to afford one or the insurance for a long time.

Nice car!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 6:17 PM, GaryIndiana wrote:

To me, the Logical Next Stop of a "Next Generation" of the Mustang would have been a New Mach I

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 6:33 PM, GaryIndiana wrote:

Saw comment on the Ford Turbo-4 cylinder engine.

My Brother-in-Law had 1984 Capri RS Turbo that had 175 hp & still did ok, but now great, Saw where that engine could be boosted to 260 hp easily & one kit could get it to near 300 hp...

Saw where Ford says the Stock Turbo-4 will be 300hp right out of the factory

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 6:33 PM, ducphil wrote:

I have always loved the Mustang and will to the day I die. I feel the move to retro looking was a set back for car. The vehicle styling was headed in such a great direction then came the "I want to get back some of my youth" movement. Why cant they incorporate some of the styling of this new vehicle with the 2000 model year car instead of trying to keep the past in the present? How bout a all wheel drive Mustang? I hate to say this but what about an electric "green" ride. Come on America let put the muscle back into the common mans muscle car.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 6:48 PM, DOUGHGIRL62 wrote:

Yuck! I have an 01 GT, guess my next Mustang will be used!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 6:50 PM, memarc wrote:

all american respected by all nations no v8 gone turbo bust

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 7:16 PM, hawkhell wrote:

Looks like a Ford Fusion mixed with a mustang as fan art. When the 5.0 came out with with over 400hp it surprised me and made me respect ford for the first time in my life. Now looking at this they are back on the same track.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 7:25 PM, cchattey wrote:

Looks un-American. Even 4th-gen ponies look better than this. Hope this is someone's idea of a joke - sure looks like it is!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 7:49 PM, fisquid wrote:

The front end is good solid work. But the back end is wrong for anything called a "Mustang," and the weird lines in the back throw off the front. Fix the problem out back and the whole look of the car should be a lot better. If it's necessary to have two back ends (a longer one for USA and this snub one for Europe) then go ahead and spend the money and make it happen, because as it stands the car is half-awesome and half-terrible.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 7:56 PM, suzibeaarc wrote:

My first car was a 1965 Ford Mustang, It was an awesome car, I loved it. Mustangs have changes so much over the years to the point that the new mustang doesn't even look like a mustang. I hate the changes, I think you need to make the old style again. Like the 65.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 8:11 PM, mediterraneanway wrote:

Looks like the Starsky & Hutch car! LOL

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 8:15 PM, mediterraneanway wrote:

Looks like the car from Starsky & Hutch! LOL

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 8:15 PM, Benibiker wrote:

That is a beautiful Mustang, that I would buy!!!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 8:29 PM, Eytch5 wrote:

FoMoCo Please, tell me this is simply a Auto Show prototype. After totally dropping the ball on the remake of the Thunderbird, You NAILED it with the Mustang. For several years now, it has been the Mustang could hang it's preverbial blue oval hat on. Now you start making a oddly shaped mustang, tesla, Ferrari hybrid like this is insanity! Follow the cue from Porsche, if you have a winning body style (IE the 911) stay with it for decades continually making it leaner, meaner, faster, bolder and better.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 8:55 PM, kilroy50 wrote:

That looks more like a Prius (puke!) than a Mustang.

Ford needs to take a look at what its U.S. CUSTOMERS want and quit trying to be Toyota...

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 8:59 PM, snailmartyr wrote:

"The current Ford Mustang weighs in at 3,523 pounds, and according to Edmunds, Ford is working with lighter materials to remove a minimum of 400 pounds for the 2015 model."

About the average weight of the type II diabetes afflicted American who would purchase this monstrosity...

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 9:29 PM, cars1970 wrote:

just remember the Mustang put the firebird the trans am and the camaro out of business. How long did it take for chevy to find away to bring the camaro back,,you chevy fans seem to always forget that go FORD..

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 9:43 PM, Kummin wrote:

Nice looking car. Now, if you could just SEE out of it, wouldn't it be grand!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 9:50 PM, humbleO wrote:

All you car aficionados...Did you go to the north american car show?

This is a copy of the Shelby Snake Mustang without the black stripes, not the one you will by from Ford. Relax people.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 10:09 PM, 06ultraclassic wrote:

Can anyone say 1974 ????? That's right remember when the long nosed 73 was redesigned and the little 74 model appeared and all Mustang sales tanked ?? Apparently the execs at Ford seemed to have forgotten all about it and how it took years and years for Mustang lovers to come back. I had a 66 when I was a kid and REGRET ever getting rid of it, but have always had a passion for the Mustang and what Ford has done to it over the years. The last few years have been the best since the 64 1/2 to 73 days and now they can't see the forest through the trees. If Americans didn't get so Damn bored so quickly the auto companies would be able to build a car for longer periods of time, resulting in better prices, because they wouldn't have to re-tool their assembly lines every few years for the American eye candy they have to make to produce more sales. Most of what car manufacturers do is strictly outer cosmetics and interior changes, the drivetrain stays the same for many years and STUPID customers don't even realize this. Well, that is it, I am off my soapbox now.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 10:38 PM, spiceyweasel wrote:

First off....this is nothing more than an old Mustang image poorly photo shopped. The new Mustang will please some, horrify others, and make many say, "Meh".

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 10:44 PM, gtapp wrote:

Finally!!!!! The Mustang has been the ugliest sports car in America since 1972. It has always looked like a bathtub! This is a much needed upgrade!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 10:48 PM, BlueVistaGT wrote:

If you look carefully at the graph, it's no coincidence that sales plummeted around 2007, which was the beginning of the U.S. recession, while the unofficial end was around 2009 when sales began to rise again. This is according to the National Bureau of Economic Research. As a faithful owner of several Mustangs including a 1992 5.0L LX and my current 2006 Kenne Bell supercharged Mustang GT, I would not be interested in the vehicle shown in the artist rendering since it looks too European and like the 2007 Giugiaro concept. If I want to purchase an American Icon, I would not buy a European looking car. I think I would pass if this is Mustang's future look.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 10:53 PM, tslghtr wrote:

I love the classic Fords, but with aggressive stylings of the Camaro, and other sportier cars on the market, the Mustang is boring. I like this design. it reminds me of the Aston Martin Vanquish

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 10:57 PM, 05redfire wrote:

I'll stick with my 2005 gt. It's a winner. Loosing weight is a great plan and wish they'd have done it years ago. The artists rendering looks like a cartoon car. Ford did a big boo boo in 2010 when they screwed up the back of the car. They've gone through these things before. Remember the mustang II? Yeah, I'd like to forget too.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:15 PM, Olie71 wrote:

LOL to all that are making fun of this car, Hats off to FORD, yeah I also like to say that I'm a proud owner of a 1967 Mustang GTA Fastback w/ factory big block optional 390 motor. My car came stock w/ 325 hp and tips the scales around 3000 #'s... I'm really glad that FORD is moving forward and updating this pony car, who knows what this car will do, but I'm sure that a lot of people are going to take a double look when it goes by them on the road... GO FORD !!!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:17 PM, drdave16666 wrote:

In my opinion, the Mustang that appeared in the beginning of the article really looks slick! I would not mind being a test driver to give a straight up opinion of the car. I feel that FOMOCO has a good handle on the car and it WILL turn heads!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:23 PM, dwduke wrote:

Big risk Ford will lose. The rear wheels and 1/4 panels are not right for the pony car.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:46 PM, jeepdude911 wrote:

Too much emphasis has been put on the "global" aspect of the American way of doing things. America is not a "global" nation, and the pony cars (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger) are not "global" cars. They are uniquely American. They are brutes, made to smoke tires and sing a song that only Detroit iron can sing. Automotive writers too often forget this. Yes, the last time Ford tried to make a "global" Mustang, we got the Probe, a pathetic example of "global" thinking. Ford, keep it American. Keep it real.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:52 PM, andrewlail76 wrote:

I have a 68 mustang...and if I were to buy a new car, it wouldn't be a mustang. The back seat has basically disappeared. Make the car the same size as the old ones and give it some back seat. I'd get a Challenger before I even thought of a mustang. They got a real backseat...just like the old one did

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 11:54 PM, andrewlail76 wrote:

I should add...this car looks sweet...just doesn't look much like a mustang...also...looks like a 2-seater

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 12:18 AM, kimmiej77 wrote:

My mom had 2 fastbacks during my childhood and I now own a 91 mustang foxbody style thats carshow worthy... i am a stang fanatic and all i can say about this model is CRAP!!! UGLY and looks like a combination of about 4 different cars!!! i don't know who comes up with these new versions but this one i have to say is by far the dumbest looking... some classics should not be messed with and this happens to be one of them... I can dig updates on classics but REALLY??? gimmie old school any day!!! i wouldn't pay 50 cents for this thing!!! As I know we all have different views but come on... please leave the Stang alone!!! smdh!!!

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 12:36 AM, rw93003 wrote:

Boy, that's one ugly Mustang. Maybe they should have just retired the Mustang and called that thing the "Eurocar" or something like that--Although I'm not a Ford guy I've had plenty of Mustangs (have one right now)--at least one sometimes as many as 5 of each generation except the Mustang II...Looks like I'll be skipping one more besides the Mustang II

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 12:43 AM, Cardweezy wrote:

We know there is a lot of engineering going into the new design. We also know, that the concept you used to show the "new" Mustang, isn't even remotely close to what the new Mustang will look like. C'mon people.

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 12:52 AM, Alchemist87 wrote:

It looks like Ford is trying to merge an Aston Martin Vanquish with a Mustang.

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 1:09 AM, ladi55 wrote:

What's the big deal? 2014 Mustang design is not a duplicate of any '60's Mustang - change happens and it can be very good - CANNOT WAIT TO GET ONE OF THOSE NEW 2015 DESIGNS - you cannot be living under a rock always!! All those who "hate" new design, did you notice you did not use a feather and ink in inkwell to write your comment? Just saying. Have wonderful day.

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 1:18 AM, btrueutah wrote:

The sales graph tells the story. Ford had to do something to bring those numbers up. It's a big departure from recent models (I'm sure they're saying it's edgy) so they better make sure it's faster and handles better than the model it replaces.

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 1:23 AM, stevenatorr wrote:

ford always has and always will be JUNNNNKKKK

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 1:36 AM, Layla22052 wrote:

My first car was a 67 mustang convertible

orange with black vinyl seats and top

what a beauty she was

I also had a 69 Mach I and Mustang Shelby

All I can say about the new 2015 design is REALLY ? ?

I would highly suggest a new design team

Try going back to the late 60's with your design and I might consider a stang again

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 1:37 AM, bedr1 wrote:

That graph is misleading. The exact time Mustang sales went downmarket the economy tanked and I believe GM needed a bailout or it was going out of business. By the way, GM where is our money?

I don't like the new global Mustang, unfortunately Americans are not exactly like Eurotrash or the Chinese. Corvettes don't sell well globally yet do well here, If you want to sell the Mustang in other countries put a smaller different engine in it. If I want to buy a Euro style car,I'll buy a BMW, if I want to go American I go Mustang, and I don't mean the ultra heavy Camaro for those guys that love mullets.

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 2:17 AM, therealmagnum wrote:

looks like a Kia optima mated a Mercedes-Benz CLS550. Please say it isn't so.

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 2:54 AM, donnoh1 wrote:

This Mustang rendering looks cool and would interest me as long as it's not Honda Civic or Scion FR-S sized. The long hood, short rear is classic sports or muscle car. If the proportions are long and low that's great. I still want a convertible version, as well. Updated tech and modern engines are fine with me as long it goes. No Mustang II world car please. I'll buy one if it looks like the rendering and doesn't get too tall.

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 2:56 AM, donnoh1 wrote:

Ford has to get the little things right, too. No questions in the showroom like why aren't HID headlights available on the Fusion?

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 3:02 AM, Galane wrote:

2005 was the first Mustang to look like a Mustang since 1978. 1979 and up was a box until Ford sanded the edges off in 1985 when it looked like first cousin to all the Mazdas. The 1994 design was a blob which still had some pieces of structure dating all the way back to 1979.

1974 was an almost clean sheet redesign. It shared very few pieces of structure with the Pinto. The rear floor beneath the seat cushion and the front crossmember, which was actually designed for the Mustang and shared with the Pinto - which was altered a lot for 74. Not even the rear springs were the same, Mustang's were longer with rubber isolated mounts at the axle.

Mustang sales did NOT take a dive in 1974. That was the 4th best year of all time for the model with 385,993 sold. No year since have as many Mustangs been sold, with only 1979 coming close.

So stop the lies about the Mustang II! It was NOT a sales failure. It was NOT a "reskinned Pinto". What it did was keep the name attached to a rear wheel drive vehicle that was as good of a performance vehicle as the government would allow to be made in the 1970s.

Without the Mustang II Ford would have likely "brought back" the Mustang name on a crappy little front drive like Chrysler did with the "Charger" as a FWD Mitsubishi.

Ford's biggest mistake with the Mustang II was the decision to not have a V8 in 1974. While sales stayed above 100,000 a year through 1978, the car didn't recover from the false perception that a V8 wasn't available.

The "eco" turbo 4 cylinders only get good MPG in the EPA tests that are biased towards grandma or soccer mom types of driving. As Ford discovered in the 80's, people will try to make a turbo 4 run like a V8 and with that turbo running almost all the time the efficiency drops way down. Ford axed the 2.3L turbo because in real world use it got less MPG than the 302 V8.

The first nearly clean sheet redesign of the Mustang since 1974 was in 2005. The 05 likely has the least in common with another model of Ford, with the Mustang II not far behind. The 1964 through 1970 have a large amount of structure in common with the Falcon and the 1979 through 1984 really are just shortend and reskinned Fairmonts.

IMHO Ford has been making a huge mistake with the Mustang since 1994. All Mustangs since then have been either semi-fastback (like the second year, 1965) or convertible. There have been no fastback or notchback coupe Mustangs since 1993. The rendering at the top of this page is a fastback style where the roofline continues unbroken to the rear. 1964-1/2 was only a notchback or convertible.

To me, the notchback style has always been the best looking, even in the FoxBox years of the 80's, but the style has never gotten any love from Ford (with the best options typically reserved for the convertible and semi-fastback, fastback (aka Sportsroof) or hatchback) or from the car magazines.

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 3:33 AM, MercuryDon wrote:

My last two new cars were mustangs and if this is what the mustang is going to be, I guess the next new car I buy will be a Challenger !! By the way, I have an 04 Cobra with the independent rear and the IRS sucks ! Too much wheel hop and it spits out axles !!

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 3:50 AM, truedats wrote:

NASCAR is going to be pissed. nationwide series mustangs will look nothing like the showroom car.

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 4:06 AM, Ballistical wrote:

I'm so sick and tired of people saying that the Mustang has to look a certain way, particularly those who are in their teens and twenties, whose point of reference only goes back to the schlocky (but excellent) 2005 to current generation. These people forget that, once upon a time, before "retro" was even a thing, Mustangs were actually penned to be modern and of the times. Shocking, I know! In fact, the original Mustang was heavily inspired by European design cues in order to give it the sex appeal that allowed it to fly off dealer lots. Look at the Fox bodied Mustangs and you'll notice that the design philosophy was modern for its era and abandoned the heritage-inspired cues such as the vertical tri-bar tail lights and redundant rear fender scoops. And yet, nobody cried foul in those days.

Nowadays, if you're a Muscle car and you lack optional Pep-Boys vinyl graphics or a countenance plagiarized directly from a 40-year old design, you're branded a sell-out. How did this happen? What happened to respecting the past but always pushing towards the future with innovation? Give me something new for crying out loud. I want to see what the Mustang can be to a new generation. I've already seen what it looked like 40 years ago. Show me what it'll look like in 2015. Just reading the replies on this story make me shake my head in disgust. If the Mustang had anymore cute nods to the past it would look like "The Homer" that put 'ol Unkie Herb out of business.

The Mustang has been retro-tastic for far too long. It's time for something new.

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 4:23 AM, evmo wrote:

Whine, Whine, Whine...

Seriously people? Does the Air Force still fly F-4s? Are we watching Leave it to Beaver on a black and white 11" TV? NO! This is a 2015 model. That's TWENTY FIFTEEN! The future is now if you haven't noticed.

This car looks amazing! Ford is absolutely going the right direction with this. The throwback look was novel for a little while but is completely played out now. This car will be packed to the gills with the latest technology to make it faster and better handling than it's ever been.

Trying to recreate the glory days of the 60s will only work for so long, and nobody's fooled any more. The reality is that the younger generation will eat this up.

Besides, what's the big deal? If you want a retro Mustang, then buy one. There's tons of them out there.

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 4:38 AM, Riggerwo wrote:

Ford needs to make the Mustang apeal to more buyers in order to keep the brand alive. The "loyal fans" want it to stay the same....this will lead to the end of the Mustang...they need to keep changing and evolving with the markets....As fuel gets more expensive and the environment restrictions get tighter the V-8 gas guzzler is doomed....So it is change, adapt..or go out of business..this is the law of any kind of business.

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 4:45 AM, ericday wrote:

I don't see what all the negative fuss is about. I think this rendering looks amazing.. I wouldn't call the current Mustang a "sexy sports car". It's ok I guess, but if one pulls up to a light, I don't even give it a second look.

The whole "retro" thing was cool for a minute, but it's time to move on. This is a 2015 model.

Based on appearance alone, I would pick the Camaro over the current Mustang hands down.

The wight of over 3500 lbs of the current model is embarrassing as well for a "pony car". More like a Clydesdale. The original 1965 Mustang weighed less than 2,600 lbs.

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 5:36 AM, bokassa wrote:

IMHO this car would be a great choice. Current Mustang and Camaro cars are OUT-dated! The die-hard fans of these prehistoric cars are a dying bread! The mentality of the global 'muscle' car buyer is evolving towards more modern technologically advanced vehicles. This redesign would maybe cost Ford quite a few customers in the USA, but would open doors in EU and China among others... Please Ford have the guts to do it! Falling sales give me right!

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 7:48 AM, renrdedios wrote:

ca we call it "MUSDONGKY"???

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 8:23 AM, mememe1795 wrote:

love love love it is it rear wheel drive five speed ? if its not another poorly done retrow like camaro ugly ugly camaoro might as whell be hot like futuristic

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 8:25 AM, mememe1795 wrote:

camaro is so dang fugly and has bailout stench all over it thumbs up to mustang nice modern look

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 10:22 AM, cirej2000 wrote:

If that were a totally different model from Ford, like the "Ford, Volvo sportster", I'd say, "Hey, interesting!". But this? DAMMIT!

Let's go ahead and take the iconic Mustang look and Eurotize it! Great job. At least it's not an eff-up like the good ole Mustang II from which it took almost 30 years to recover. But...DAMMIT!

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 12:48 PM, fordfocused wrote:

This design is AWESOME period!

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 3:50 PM, mogutzdenbrains wrote:

sales graph mirrors economic down turn 2006 thru 2009. camero was introduced, and many improvements in dodge challenger. very mis-leading.

• Report this Comment On August 26, 2013, at 11:05 AM, Carioca58 wrote:

Excellent design! Much better than the current design. Twice I have refused the Mustang from Hertz because the passenger seat is lower than the windshield line, and can barely see outside. This one seems to have fixed the serious design mistake.

• Report this Comment On August 28, 2013, at 7:34 AM, DBcoaching wrote:

i enjoy both the change of new styles and the retro of old. i really like the versions where you can see the combination of both styles coming together. It's good to see comments that respect of each opinion. To that the 2013's are incredibly awesome looking blend of old and new.

DocumentId: 2608535, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 4/16/2014 3:08:26 PM