More Bad News for BlackBerry Investors

BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY  ) shares have recovered nicely over the past month after falling off a cliff earlier this summer. As practically everyone knows by now, the company is officially shopping itself for a potential sale and has been doing so behind the scenes for more than a year. The problem is that there might not be anyone interested. The next-gen BB10 operating system isn't gaining the kind of traction the company will need to reclaim a meaningful place in the uber-competitive smartphone market, despite the launch of several sleek BB10 devices earlier this year. One of the most often-cited problems is BlackBerry's lack of pull with the developer community, which, as tech and telecom analyst Andrew Tonner explains in this video, might be worse than anyone realized.

As BlackBerry tries to find its way forward, the global tech world has been thrown into chaos as the biggest titans invade one another's turf. At stake is the future of a trillion-dollar revolution: mobile. To find out which of these giants is set to dominate the next decade, we've created a free report called "Who Will Win the War Between the 5 Biggest Tech Stocks?" Inside, you'll find out which companies are set to dominate and give in-the-know investors an edge. To grab a copy of this report, simply click here -- it's free!

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Oril wrote:

Uh, so what is the bad news?

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 6:57 PM, flori72 wrote:

Why is that "bad news"? an app is an app. Plus this app competition is like the pixels competition for digital camera. Just bringing a big number when people actually just use 20 apps.

But to end the discussion once and for all (I wish) about BBRY apps, all Android apps can be installed on it. So, where is the problem?

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 7:23 PM, CZZZZZZ wrote:

re: the company is officially shopping itself

That's a blatant lie.

They are executing a well documented plan right now and shopping the company is not in that plan now or in the distant future.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 8:31 PM, HelpIsHere wrote:

Not sure why anyone would even respond to an idiot like Tonner, his videos are too stupid to comprehend. Sad to see that this site has fallen so far these days.

• Report this Comment On August 24, 2013, at 10:56 PM, jd2167 wrote:

Where does the press get the Idea that BlackBerry is for sale? It has formed a committee to explore it's options moving forward. Yes that may possibly, POSSIBLY include a partnership or Majority buyout, but BlackBerry has never stated that they are for sale, It's obvious some wish they were though. Sign of intimidation guys. Long BB

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 10:24 AM, etgh wrote:

Will all the corrupt media out there, it there any wonder why only two player are able to survive. I was just over on the WSJ site and guess what, Windows phone is the new Blackberry.

I just read an article slamming WP while at the same time extolling the virtues of IOS. Look like Apple's now turned its marketing guns on MS. I just hope WSJ got their regular ad rate from Apple for this "article".

Blackberry has had to endure five years of targeted media bashing and I for one am tired of trash media that seems to be completely accepted in the US marketplace.

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2013, at 1:28 PM, CeBeans wrote:

Andrew - I disagree with the 'bad news' about the apps, the fact that a company created 47,000 apps for BB10 is actually good.

The Apple and Google app stores have the SAME program submitted by 100's of developers. This particular developer does changes with each app. So they are using some type of shell and creating a new app each time.

I work for Blackberry as an Inventor and also have personally written 9,500+ freeware apps for Windows Mobile phones and one thing I DON'T do is repeat the same app (100% same) twice. I do use the same shell instead of re-writing a large set of code. Also using this method the programs become bug proof.

Also to note that since the developer has built a code base they will improve on the quality (add more functionality) over time.

This is good news!!!! buy BBRY!!!

• Report this Comment On August 26, 2013, at 5:10 PM, Chippy55 wrote:

Folks, the Fool has a hardon for Blackberry, I listen to their nattering nabobs of negativity and dismiss it as I do any utterances by anyone in the administration in DC. Off to SeekingAlpha to get some coherent, fair and balanced analysis. And I'm still buying BBRY stock monthly irrespective of price or the constant illogical faux concern over apps. Begone Fool!

• Report this Comment On August 27, 2013, at 2:13 PM, KMCFOOL2013 wrote:

Buy BBRY! I, for one, hope that BBRY will hang in there for the next few years. I could trust my Curve to support me as I ran a busy business on-the-road - the hands free worked as it should, Blackberry Traffic was a dependable and robust app, and the tactile keyboard meant that I could type no matter what the Canadian weather.

Wait for me Blackberry! I will return as soon as I am eligible to exit this mobile contract. If Blackberry made a mistake, it was in not having the Q10 and Z10 ready for the 2012 Holiday season - a number of customers got tempted away with discounts and offers from Samsung and Apple, and are just waiting to return to dependability.