Toyota Gets Aggressive With Its New Corolla

Toyota's new Corolla, shown here in sporty "S" trim, is much more sharply styled than its predecessor. Toyota announced aggressive pricing for the new Corolla this past week. Photo credit: Toyota

Toyota's (NYSE: TM  ) Corolla is one of the world's best-selling cars, and the company hopes to build on that success with this all-new version, which will be at U.S. dealers soon. The company announced U.S. pricing for its mainstay compact this past week, and to no surprise, Toyota appears determined to offer good value -- and to undercut the Corolla's biggest global rival, Ford's (NYSE: F  ) Focus.

Will the new Corolla help Toyota regain lost ground in the U.S.? In this video, Fool contributor John Rosevear looks at how the new car stacks up -- and gives his thoughts on whether it will succeed in what has become a fiercely competitive market segment.

Ford shareholders have already been rewarded as the Blue Oval has gained ground on Toyota this year. But for Ford's stock to really soar, a few more critical things need to fall into place. In The Motley Fool's special free report entitled, "5 Secrets to Ford's Future" we outline the key factors every Ford investor needs to watch. Just click here now for your free report.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2013, at 7:04 PM, Vitabrits wrote:

The recent RAV4 remodel was a step backwards for Toyota and I expect this to be a similar outing.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2013, at 8:13 PM, Twinpilot001 wrote:

I have owned =since new- a 2006 Corolla!Now having 140,000. miles on it - I absolutely hve never -READ=NEVER!!=Had any problems with this car ! Buy a ford-NEVER EVER!! I have owned fords in the past -never had any luck with any ford car,truck -new or used ! Totota is my Brand now -they are totally Bullittprof! I know a Toyota mechanic also -a friend - he tells me the only repairs they do in dealership is usual maintaence -brakes, air & oil , easy & very inexpensive things! never any engines or trannys ! - except some standard trannys that the younger crouds do abuse!! Thats it ! Buy TOYOTA!!

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2013, at 9:01 PM, Merlin402 wrote:

Must second Twinpilot's post...I have a 2007 Corolla with 198,000 miles on it. It feels like I just drove it off the lot. I've done the basic maintenance and that's all. Both of my two previous cars were Ford Escorts, neither made it past 130,000. I'm really looking forward to this new Corolla, my son can have the one I now have...Buy TOYOTA!!

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2013, at 9:05 PM, Iforgot2013 wrote:

Hey Twinpilot001 and Merlin402...you know the reason those cracker jack boxes last...there made from recycled American made Coors cans

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2013, at 9:33 PM, VRSEFgold wrote:

We've 2 Lexus and love them.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2013, at 10:11 PM, ramonesnut wrote:

I can't stand comments on articles like this cause its like people with sports teams....cheerleading. I will start out by saying I'm objective. OK now that's out of the way car company's quality changes from year to year. To hate a given car company based on what happened to you a decade ago is silly. Ford has made alot of strides in the past 4-5 years ( and so has GM), yes Toyota's are good cars as well(all three mentioned are currently in the top 10 in quality). That said Toyota has slipped 2 spots in the past 3.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2013, at 10:14 PM, Niklas99 wrote:

This car is UGLY! Glad I bought a 2013 Ford Focus: manufactured by an American based company so the profit stays in the United States when I made my purchase. I bought the Focus because a friend used to own a Corolla, and the car was also always at the shop for repairs on a regular basis. My Focus Titanium hatchback is a beautiful car, with enough ammenities that it should be considered a luxury car. I will never support a Japanese-based manufacturer. Go Ford! Go USA!

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2013, at 10:38 PM, gmvalentine wrote:

I recently had to junk my beloved 1990 Corolla. It had 325k + miles on it when it blew a head gasket. The repair was more expensive than the car was worth, so I had to get rid of it. So sad. The car was an absolute gem. I ended up getting a used Camry to replace it, but there will always be a special place in my heart for Corollas.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2013, at 10:44 PM, luckyagain wrote:

At one time I owned 4 Chev Novas (re-badged Toyota Corollas). Two of the 4 blew a head gasket at about 110K. They were good cars but far from perfection. The most reliable vehicle that I ever owned was 95 Ford Ranger that I bought used and drove for about 10 years with almost no repairs. It had about 160k miles when I sold it.

n most cases reliability is more a function of the owner than the car. Almost every car that I have ever owned went over 100k without any major motor problem. These were GM, Ford, Chrysler and Toyota vehicles. So change the oil and anti-freeze on schedule and you will avoid most problems and should be able to drive over 150k if you want to keep it.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2013, at 11:02 PM, loismechaca wrote:

buy American

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2013, at 11:05 PM, Nohurry1 wrote:

Are we deciding on whether to buy a Toyota over a Ford here? Well, that's totally a matter of personal preference. If you think one brand is totally better than the other, you are not only no automotive expert, but you're frankly absolutely clueless about autos in general. That is to say, you know where to put the fuel in and then you put it in gear and steer as needed.

Toyota makes fine vehicles, but if you're convinced Ford doesn't, you have no idea what you're talking about. With 25+yrs experience in the auto industry, I have no question these vehicles are on a level playing field at very least.

Having had Toyotas(my 1st was a 1969 Corona, before most of you Toyota fans were born) and Fords, they're no better either way. Needless to say(to those who do know vehicles), repairs are going to be needed for any brand.

Anyone claiming otherwise for more than 150k miles probably hasn't actually owned a vehicle covering that many miles in real life. Autos are made largely using "wear items" as parts of the whole. If it moves on its own while the vehicle is running or being driven, it's a wear item and it WILL break at some point, no matter who made it.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2013, at 11:18 PM, apalmerjr wrote:

The front end on the Toyota looks like it was copied from the ford Escort of a year or two ago...

• Report this Comment On September 01, 2013, at 12:04 AM, mikio067 wrote:

The Corolla shown is too "Ricky Racer." The restyled Elantra is still ahead of them. The taillight config on the new Camry is downright ugly by way of its disproportionality, and yes, I agree, the new Rav4 is not what I was expecting, but I am glad they did away with the external spare tire.

• Report this Comment On September 01, 2013, at 8:06 AM, Tonenine wrote:

Looks like a Jetta me too product, no worries, it's still no match for my Spyder

• Report this Comment On September 01, 2013, at 10:41 AM, ramonesnut wrote:

Good point nohurry. And I'd like to add a fyi...ford hasn't made a escort in (in the u.s. anyway)10 years.