Even After iOS 7, I Still Might Switch to Android

Even as Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL  ) is enjoying rave reviews and huge adoption for iOS 7, Fool contributor Tim Beyers says in the following video that he's still thinking of switching to Android.

Why switch? Tim is a heavy user of Google's (NASDAQ: GOOGL  ) productivity apps, and he has plenty of company. More than 425 million users were on Gmail as of June 2012. By now, that total is surely past a half billion. Google CEO and co-founder Larry Page has said there are 5 million businesses using Google Apps.

Tim says these numbers reflect a growing opportunity for Google more than a genuine threat to Apple, especially with the Mac maker having sold 9 million new iOS 7-powered handsets last weekend. Some 200 million updated their existing handsets to iOS 7 over the same period.

Can Google investors expect similar growth on the Android side of the ledger? What about the rest of the business? Tim answers these questions and more in the video below.

Five stocks enter, only one leaves
Google is one of a handful of companies that shape our digital and technological lives. Will it always be this way? Our analysts examine the possibilities in a new free report: "Who Will Win the War Between the 5 Biggest Tech Stocks?" Go inside the knock-down, drag-out battle being waged by the five kings of tech. Click here to get your copy now.


Read/Post Comments (16) | Recommend This Article (4)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On September 25, 2013, at 7:19 PM, zippero wrote:

    Google spies on all your Google docs and Gmail and knows more about you than the NSA. They are your HAL 9000. Enjoy!

  • Report this Comment On September 25, 2013, at 7:31 PM, tangos88888 wrote:

    So let us get this straight...you are switching to Android because you love Apple so much? Because you don't even own any Android hardware but own iPad and an iPhone? Now, pray tell us, where and how did you get struck by this intuitive bolt of lightning? And then you say "no please don't listen to me, because I am only one person". Really? No really? So modest. I would be worried if there were more of you. Thanks for the entertainment and good luck with your financial blogging career. You are off to a flying start.

  • Report this Comment On September 25, 2013, at 7:57 PM, thethreestooges wrote:

    Hey Tim,

    Since you are a heavy user of Google productivity apps and Gmail, you don't have to switch. You don't have to because you don't even own an iPhone! You almost got us thinking that a heavy man Google user like you using an iPhone for Google apps instead of Apple apps.

    BTW, why do you write the article yourself as though someone was writing about you? It almost makes you sound like some sort of celebrity.

    No one really care if you switch or not, but don't pretend you even own an iPhone.

  • Report this Comment On September 25, 2013, at 8:30 PM, Shawn097 wrote:

    I fail to see the logic behind your video. You love apple, and therefore IOS, but plan to switch to an android product? I would stay with the premium apple product.

  • Report this Comment On September 25, 2013, at 8:36 PM, moofer1972 wrote:

    At least you could upgrade. You won't get that luxury on Android. If you want the latest OS, you gotta buy it OEM and then wait 4 years for an update from your carrier that's two revs old. Oh, and good luck with the Android Market and their minefield of malware.

  • Report this Comment On September 25, 2013, at 9:09 PM, Dannes2013 wrote:

    Who cares if you switch, even care bare don't care!

    You said your not committed to google hardware and your heavy user of google apps, google apps are all in iOS.

    I think your too old for this to have a common sense.

  • Report this Comment On September 25, 2013, at 9:11 PM, Jason91789 wrote:

    Why do the Fool always talk negative about Apple are they all Shorting the Stock? I see a lot of them talking negative about Apple. Are they angry because Apple sold more than 9 million phone in just two day? More is coming there will be big Squeeze when there earning come out. I'm glad I don't pay to be a member at the Motley Fool you guy don't seem educated.

  • Report this Comment On September 25, 2013, at 9:24 PM, rcloud0 wrote:

    Which part of your iPad and iPhone are not good for your apps? Which part of your imaginary android stuff would be better for you? You sounded not very logical person comes to choose a product but when you tried to give an investment advise in the same breath, you may be an canning one trying to fool a few. There is always a hidden agenda somewhere.

  • Report this Comment On September 25, 2013, at 9:25 PM, JHawkinTexas wrote:

    Really Tim!? I should give a rat's ass that you might switch to Android because...

    I think you were bored today and knew this would score a few clicks and comments from the Apple intelligence. Well, there are 7, yes SEVEN, comments in front of me. Seems most people didn't bother. LOL!

  • Report this Comment On September 25, 2013, at 9:41 PM, rcloud0 wrote:

    One good thing come to this site is to read comments. The readers are much smarter and they make those FOOLs even less creditable. Backfired, fool.

  • Report this Comment On September 25, 2013, at 10:19 PM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

    @thethreestooges,

    >>You don't have to because you don't even own an iPhone!

    Yup, I do. A 4S.

    Thanks for writing and Foolish best,

    Tim

    --

    TMFMileHigh in CAPS and on the boards

    @milehighfool on Twitter

    http://about.me/timbeyers

    http://timbeyers.me

  • Report this Comment On September 25, 2013, at 10:21 PM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

    @JHawkinTexas,

    >>Really Tim!? I should give a rat's ass that you might switch to Android because...

    You *don't* have to care. All I'm offering is my perspective as an iOS device owner with a heavy investment in Google's apps and services.

    Thanks for writing and Foolish best,

    Tim

    --

    TMFMileHigh in CAPS and on the boards

    @milehighfool on Twitter

    http://about.me/timbeyers

    http://timbeyers.me

  • Report this Comment On September 25, 2013, at 10:24 PM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

    @tangos88888,

    >>So let us get this straight...you are switching to Android because you love Apple so much

    Nope. Maybe watch the video again?

    I'm thinking of switching because, while the Google IOS apps are good, I'm tempted by the integrated experience of a device like the Moto X with Google Now.

    >>Thanks for the entertainment and good luck with your financial blogging career.

    Thanks! 10 years in and going very well -- I appreciate it.

    Foolish best,

    Tim

    --

    TMFMileHigh in CAPS and on the boards

    @milehighfool on Twitter

    http://about.me/timbeyers

    http://timbeyers.me

  • Report this Comment On September 25, 2013, at 11:35 PM, ScottAtlanta wrote:

    Tim....you don't deserve your Apple products you ungrateful s.o.b.! If I saw you with them, I'd smash them and say....NO! These are not for you...you are UNWORTHY of them!!!

    Learn some loyalty and then perhaps....just maybe, we'll start you back on an ipod...with like 16 Mb of memory....for 1 year. If you handle that well....and apologize to Apple....then ...well, let's just see what happens. Now go to your room.

    No dinner either.

  • Report this Comment On September 26, 2013, at 12:24 AM, JAVKO wrote:

    SO SK just paid you a retainer to keep bashing!

    Another biased article from the Truly Fool.

    Keep at it: satisfy short term revenue from your SK paymasters for long term stability.

    GLTU

  • Report this Comment On September 26, 2013, at 8:16 AM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

    @ScottAtlanta,

    Outstanding. (Claps.) Very well played, sir :-)

    Foolish best,

    Tim

    --

    TMFMileHigh in CAPS and on the boards

    @milehighfool on Twitter

    http://about.me/timbeyers

    http://timbeyers.me

Add your comment.

DocumentId: 2654588, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 4/17/2014 3:00:54 PM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...


Advertisement