Obamacare's Irrational Exuberance?

Where some see problems, others see opportunity.

That's happening now with the launch of the health insurance exchanges established by the Affordable Care Act, commonly known as Obamacare. Exchanges operated by the federal government as well as those run by several states experienced multiple technical problems on the first day of operation.

Optimists pointed to these problems as a good sign, because the heavy volumes mean heavy interest. Health insurance stocks were up on the news, particularly WellPoint (NYSE: WLP  ) , which is participating in exchanges in every state where the company operates. Even insurers that are taking a more cautious stance, such as UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH  ) , saw shares climb on day one of the Obamacare exchanges.

In the video below, Fool analyst Max Macaluso talks with contributor Keith Speights about why there could be a case of irrational exuberance with respect to the initial reaction to high traffic volumes on the exchanges. Watch their discussion to find out if the bad news about glitches really means great news for Obamacare.

Obamacare opportunities
Obamacare is rewriting the rules for the health-care industry, and in the process of doing so, it's creating massive opportunities for investors to profit. How? By investing in a handful of specific health-care stocks. In this free report, our analysts walk you through these opportunities and the companies that are positioned to exploit them. The informational edge contained in it is invaluable, but can only be exploited profitably while the rest of the market remains in the dark. To access this free report instantly, simply click here now.

• Report this Comment On October 02, 2013, at 6:50 PM, bosoxinny wrote:

I think a lot of it is simply curiosity. Speaking for myself, I already have employer sponsored health insurance, and I'm perfectly happy with it. I was just checking out (or trying to) the site because I was curious. I had no intention whatsoever of purchasing through the exchanges. Simple curiosity, and I believe that holds true for a lot of that traffic the other day.

• Report this Comment On October 02, 2013, at 7:43 PM, tbarbar90 wrote:

I only wanted to sign in to see what was wrong with it.

I didn't get very far.

When I finally did get through (4 tries), I encountered a security bug on page two. Makes me question whether this was tested at all.

• Report this Comment On October 02, 2013, at 9:43 PM, TBayLightningFan wrote:

I see lots of people walking around in malls..........not many with bags. Doesn't mean they're buying. Lots of folks are just curious, and lots are probably going to see the premiums and go "heck no!!"

• Report this Comment On October 02, 2013, at 10:12 PM, RFTECH3000 wrote:

That's just me but could it be that they intentionally keep the site down so they can pretent there is a high level of interest ?

• Report this Comment On October 02, 2013, at 11:05 PM, lightnin001 wrote:

The irrational exuberance is on the part of the Yellow Dog Obama Groupies, who are desperately hoping this doesn't blow up in their Messiah's face! It is extremely unlikely that anything created by that unqualified community agitator or his political flunkies will succeed.

• Report this Comment On October 02, 2013, at 11:14 PM, gulfcoastrebel wrote:

At Motley Fool, there's always a black cloud in front of every silver lining.

• Report this Comment On October 02, 2013, at 11:59 PM, loserPOTUS wrote:

It is so great that capitalism is working and the wealthy will be able to make some money on the backs of the middle class.

• Report this Comment On October 03, 2013, at 1:40 AM, TexRoth wrote:

One thing was sure yesterday that the INSURANCE companies MAKING A KILLING.

OBAMACARE = PROFITS