Is "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." Marvel's Hero for Disney?

After a super-powered debut, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. suffered weaker ratings in its second episode. Walt Disney (NYSE: DIS  ) investors shouldn't worry about the drop, says Fool contributor Tim Beyers in the following video interview with the Fool's Mike Finarelli.

Last Tuesday's episode drew 8.4 million viewers in an episode that featured a cameo from Samuel L. Jackson as S.H.I.E.L.D. director Nick Fury. Fans will remember him from last summer's The Avengers, among other Marvel movies.

Yet even with him the show's ratings fell 34% from its debut, no doubt thanks to the strength of CBS (NYSE: CBS  ) hit NCIS. The Navy drama drew 19.3 million viewers. More important than the gulf, Tim says, is Jackson's on-air appearance, which suggests Disney is giving Marvel space to be, well, Marvel.

Tim expects fans to tune in so long as that remains true. And over the long term? What can Disney investors expect from Marvel and related properties in the years to come? Please watch the video to get Tim's full take, and then leave a comment to let us know where you stand.

Every super-powered show deserves a super-powered stock
There's no such thing as an invulnerable stock, but The Motley Fool's chief investment officer believes he's found one that gets close. Find out more in our new special report: "
The Motley Fool's Top Stock for 2013." It's free for the asking -- just click here to start reading now.

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 8:54 AM, SuntanIronMan wrote:

I sure hope Disney doesn't let "Star Wars be the way Lucas and the geniuses at Lucasfilm really see that universe playing out." I've seen what the "geniuses" have to Star Wars. Just purely as a Star Wars fan, this is one case where a little Disney interference would be greatly appreciated, haha.

Marvel can be left alone. No problems there. But Lucas Films... not so much.

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 8:55 AM, SuntanIronMan wrote:

*have done to Star Wars.

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 9:46 AM, seriouslydumb wrote:

Motley Fool must have bought a truckload of Disney stock...because every single day is another shameless puff piece on Marvel. Never mind that the SHIELD show isn't very good, and that Wheadon rarely pulls off successful TV shows.

I'm waiting for tomorrow's article, "Jesus Describes Marvel TV as Bigger Than Him, God In Awe of Avengers Spinoff"

• Report this Comment On October 09, 2013, at 11:42 AM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

@seriouslydumb,

>>Never mind that the SHIELD show isn't very good, and that Wheadon rarely pulls off successful TV shows.

OK, let's forgive the typo. Also, you're entitled to your opinion of the show. Just note the ratings disagree with you.

But you can't just make up facts. Whedon "rarely" pulls off successful TV shows? Either you're delusional or just choosing to avoid the record.

How many shows get seven seasons, as Buffy did? How many successful spinoffs get five seasons, as Angel did? How many shows so engaged fans that, despite just 14 episodes, informed a movie *and* a packed-house cast reunion at Comic-Con 10 years later, as Firefly did?

I think you see where I'm headed. Yes, I'm a Disney shareholder. Look at the numbers and the franchise potential and you'll see why.

Foolish best,

Tim

TMFMileHigh in CAPS and on the boards

@milehighfool on Twitter

• Report this Comment On October 10, 2013, at 6:46 PM, SuntanIronMan wrote:

seriouslydumb's "rarely" would be an incorrect word choice, but Joss Whedon is literally 50/50 with successful TV shows (with 4 TV shows that are his shows). I'm not counting S.H.I.E.L.D. yet since it is still too early to definitively declare that his 5th TV show will be a success. Although it does seems likely that it will be a successful TV show with many seasons.

Buffy and Angel were successful. I watched the heck out of both shows back when they were on. Loved all of that. Team Spike!

Firefly and Dollhouse were not successful. I thought Firefly was great and I wish more people watched it. Too bad that didn't happen. Come on, America! Watch good shows! It did spawn a big screen movie, but unfortunately the franchise was not TV successful.

And Dollhouse had a lot of problems. It had a few good episodes (like that episode with the extended alleyway fight scene!), but the series overall was a disappointment.

So, 50/50.

• Report this Comment On October 22, 2013, at 5:54 PM, earlyseller wrote:

Ever since the advent of "TV Guide" many folks, including viewers, asked "Why is this show being given the same air time as the GREAT show on another station?" e.g. Shield Vs the #1 NCIS = STUPID STUPID STUPID. I am so glad that DIS is a well diversified entertainment company. My short Puts and long Calls are doing fine making $ for me.