Why the 2014 Corvette Stingray Isn't Good Enough

The all-new seventh-generation 2014 Corvette is now starting to arrive at dealers. But what kind of audience will it find? Photo credit: General Motors.

The reviews have been very positive: In terms of the overall driving experience, the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette is a definite improvement over its mostly well-regarded predecessor.

It's lighter. The frame is stiffer, something that matters a lot with a sports car. The interior is well finished, something that couldn't be said of the outgoing model. The revised V8 engine is both more powerful and more fuel-efficient.

Today's iteration of America's Sports Car is a high-tech wonder -- one that General Motors (NYSE: GM  ) still manages to offer at a price much lower than rivals'.

But the Corvette still has a big problem -- one that GM, for all of the new Corvette's prowess in road tests, may not have solved.

The Corvette isn't a young guy's car
The problem is this: The Corvette's audience is getting old.

Actually, that's not the best way to describe the problem. The real problem is that GM hasn't been able to attract younger buyers to the Corvette, despite years of trying.

According to figures from market-research firm Strategic Vision, the median age of a Corvette buyer is now 61 years old. That's up from 54 years old a decade ago.

It's the same crowd, in other words. The same folks who were buying Vettes a decade ago are the ones buying them now. They're getting older, and soon they'll be hitting the point in life where a low-slung, hard-riding sports car doesn't make sense.

That doesn't bode well for the Corvette's future. Or really, for its present.

And it means that no matter how well it performs on the track, the new Vette may fall short of its rivals where it matters most -- in sales and profits.

Why don't younger folks crave Corvettes?
Apparently, because they're not cool. But what does that mean?

We know that today's young adults -- the so-called "millennials" -- aren't engaged by cars in the way that their predecessors were. There are a lot of theories that try to explain why, but the facts are the facts: Among twentysomethings, interest in (and sales of) new cars are down.

But there's still plenty of demand for sports cars, among younger folks and somewhat older folks as well. Porsche's best-seller these days is the Cayenne SUV, but the German firm is still selling plenty of Boxsters and Caymans and 911s -- most at prices quite a bit steeper than the Corvette's.

The company's demographics are a lot better than the Corvette's: Plenty of Porsche buyers are in their 40s. And Porsche is finding success in China, where a surge of youngish professionals are driving a boom in luxury-brand purchases. The Porsche brand is a global status symbol, and the cars' appeal crosses generations.

Like Porsches, the latest Corvette shines in performance tests. But it doesn't have the same kind of cross-generational appeal. And it's certainly not a global status symbol.

At least not yet. And that's where I'd argue that GM hasn't succeeded with the new car.

The Vette's formula isn't getting the job done
The new car is a fine achievement, a solid improvement on its predecessor. But it's nothing more than that, and as I see it -- and I'm a former Vette owner myself -- that's the problem.

GM didn't rethink the Corvette formula this time around. The last model, the sixth-generation Corvette, had styling inspired by Stealth fighter planes -- as did its predecessor. The new car plays more riffs on that theme, with some added elements that might have been inspired by video games.

The classic curves that made the 1960s Corvettes into style icons weren't part of the brief. The new Vette is a flashy car, not an elegant one -- just like the last Vette.

The old Vette is a classic. Will the new one ever have the same status? Photo credit: General Motors.

The new Vette's styling is dramatic, but I think it's going to look dated pretty quickly. And I think it's safe to say that it's not a look that will appeal to the sweet spot of today's luxury-car demographic.

How do I know that? Simple: Look at the cars that do: Tesla's Model S, the latest Maseratis, BMW's coupes, and so forth. For that matter, look at the classic -- timeless -- cool of recent Aston Martins. The Vette is a very different animal. And I think that difference is going to limit its audience, and its sales.)

Also contrast the new Vette with the approach that Ford (NYSE: F  ) took with its last Mustang: a "retro" look that still managed to appeal to younger buyers. Like the Vette, the Mustang is an old-school formula executed with some modern technology. But unlike the Vette, the current Mustang managed to find a broad demographic appeal.

I argue that the Mustang's success has had a lot do with its classic, gimmick-free styling.

From some angles, the new Corvette's styling is more jarring than beautiful. Photo credit: General Motors.

GM went for flashy over cool, for striking over classic, with the new Vette. That's a subjective call, and it was surely a carefully calculated decision by GM. GM says it wants to attract younger folks to the Vette, of course. But first and foremost it doesn't want to alienate loyal Corvette buyers.

That decision might have been a mistake.

What GM needs to do next time
Nobody wants to alienate a loyal customer base. And GM shouldn't turn the Vette into something radically different.

But consider this: Those 1960s Vettes, the ones with timeless-yet-cutting-edge styling, are the ones that made such a big impression on today's 61-year-old Vette buyers, long ago.

This new Vette is a nice car. But it's not timeless, just formulaic, flashy. That might work one more time with those old-school customers.

But I don't think it's going to win the new customers that GM needs for its halo car. I think that after the initial rush of interest, we're going to see Vette sales head slowly downhill.

And that means that the next all-new Corvette -- if there is one -- is going to have to be very different.

What do you think?
What do you think? Am I off base here? Is the new Vette one that will have enduring appeal? Can it win new fans among luxury-car buyers in China? Or is it more of the same, and doomed to decline further?

Scroll down to leave a comment and let me know.

One auto market that's revving up
There's good reason to believe that the most successful investors over the next few decades will be those with exposure to China's massive and growing population of domestic consumers. And there are few things that these consumers are likely to purchase with more enthusiasm than cars and trucks. In this brand-new free report, our analysts get out in front of this trend by identifying two automakers that are poised to surge along with China's middle class. If you want to be among the smart investors who get rich from this growing trend, then you'd be well advised to instantly download our free report on the topic by clicking here now.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 1:47 PM, mylife67 wrote:

Put several in the next fast and furious movie

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 1:52 PM, NASTASI wrote:

The on class of vette that I hear younger generations oh-and-ah'ing over are the late 70's to early 80's C3. WIth the higher wheel wells and the thinner streamline body. GM should look at moving more to that body than they already have. Thin it out but most importantly raise the wells, it gives the aggressive look younger crowd likes.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 1:59 PM, CrankyOldGuy wrote:

How is the younger crowd going to afford ANY car that costs 2X as much as a nice BMW coupe or a BRZ, 350Z, etc. I don't see the younger crowd swarming to buy new Porsches in this price range either. Back in the day, a Vette cost 2X what a Chevelle or Camaro did. Same is true today, but that spread is now $30k or more, not $2000. It would be a mistake for Chevy to aim for the $25K market with the Vette, that is what the Camaro is for.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 3:23 PM, zoom22 wrote:

I agree with everything in the article. It's also expensive to insure. Their 61 year old customer always say nonsense but they aren't paying the same rates and have never been bothered by the vette's price. It's not cool and it's not good looking. It looks like a custom with random thrown on vents and body kit. It's too busy and the camaro tail lights don't help. Custom looks are subjective and don't have wide appeal. The Mustang isn't a great looking car but it's ok and does have cohesive design.

Corvette has always been a turn off to me not only due to styling but the arrogant customers they attracted. People that don't know why someone would buy a used celica or civic when new corvette is only 50k. Or the person that doesn't care for losers with cars that only have a 135 mph top speed. Seriously, why have a car that goes close to 200 only to mock those that with cars that go 150 and then I pass you on my bicycle. This is something that goes back to grade school and continues to this day. I've never figured out how a car with X more HP or Top speed is Infinity times better than all other cars, especially since we are for the most part going to drive under 90. Corvettes are in parade mode when driven by seniors. Ironically rarely seen going over 25 in a 40 zone. Just another turnoff. It's a hey looks at me car and that's it's problem.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 3:37 PM, rouge997 wrote:

Well John, I do think you're off base on this one and I'm evidence of that. Though I'm no spring chicken I am the demographic GM is after with this car. At age 46 my last three cars in no particular order were a 911 Turbo, BMW M3 and E Class. It should also be noted that I'm from Northern CA (import country). I was just getting ready to purchase a used 997S when this car came to my attention. This comes from a guy that would not pay 20K for a new loaded C6. I'm not interested in numb steering, no feedback, no confidence or feel in corners, no visibility over the hood, floppy seats, a plastic interior and holding a steering wheel that came from the Cobalt SS.

I don't believe GM catered to loyal Corvette customers at all with this design. If they had they wouldn't have so many upset about the fresh tail light design. You are right that Corvette was on the last time buyer program until this model came out. What you have not taken into consideration is what GM has done with Cadillac over the past 10yrs. They too were on the last time buyer program and I know a successful 24yr old insurance broker than just leased a CTS and loves it. That would never have happened 10yrs ago. Going after BMW's market took taking their cars seriously and testing them at the Nurburgring among other things.

We all know about the massive improvements GM has made with this car's race bread design, quality of materials, handling feedback, dynamics, fuel efficiency etc. Car & Driver just rated the steering higher than a 911S. That has never happened in the history of GM and is quite an accomplishment. This car is something different and mark my words over the next year as sales data comes in on the average buyer age and total sales...it will be a major hit around the world and that grey haired gold chain image will drop with it.

By the way, I ordered a torch red Z51 package with the red brakes and black wheels in a 7 speed of course. I also met Bob Lutz when I used to work for DaimlerChrysler in Auburn Hills. Now that's an impressive individual.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 3:57 PM, Historyshowsus wrote:

This isn't just a problem with Chevy.

Has anyone noticed the high performance sports car from Ford?

How about Chrysler?

Yep, there aren't any.

The concept of an automobile that only seats 2 and costing $60k, no matter what a great deal it is, doesnt play well in this economy.

Ford found out with the return of the T-Bird and the GT40 which both failed. Young people want cars that have both class AND functionality. They hope to have families and a 2 seat sports car isnt going to cut it. With people spending way more time employed before actually retiring the older generation doesnt have that kind of money either.

A 1967 corvette cost $4240. The inflation cost for 2013 is a little less than $30k. I'm sorry, that car has become way over priced. I don't care how much less it is compared to a Ferrari or Porsche. They are way more expensive than they need to be as well.

There is nothing about this that is surprising.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 4:27 PM, TMFMarlowe wrote:

@rouge997, I'm also 46 and I own a CTS-V, so I'm right in the demographic and of course I know exactly what GM has been doing with Cadillac. I'm just not seeing that they've made a big enough leap with the C7. I could make space in my garage and my budget for one of these if it seemed like a compelling proposition, but so far it doesn't.

But I hope you enjoy yours, and if my mind changes after I get some seat-time in one, I'll tell you all about it.

Thanks for stopping by.

John Rosevear

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 4:35 PM, dcamanara wrote:

I could jot disagree more. I have never seen more Europoean car fans interested in or buying a Corvette in my life. I was at a car show just today with a large European car fan crowd and the Stingray was THE talk of the day. This new Corvette is a game changer even if the Euro crowd doesn't like it. BTW...PLEASE check your stats before "Porsche flag waving" the new Boxster and Caymans aren't selling period. Porsche has sold about 1800 Caymans in the US ALL year and with a brand gen car. The new Stingray will outsell all 3 Porsche sports car models combined in the US in the first 9 months.

Euro fan boys please take note: the game has changed.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 4:55 PM, dcamanara wrote:

Wow, I just read this article again. Man I won't even continue to argue the inaccurate facts...I just think you have a "vette axe to grind". Hey, good thing your CTS-V has Vette engine ! You should send Tadge's engineering team a big "thank you ! ".

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 5:09 PM, rouge997 wrote:

@TMFMarlowe. I appreciate your feedback and am going to bet after you get some seat time in the Z51 Stingray you'll end up changing your view a bit and may even put one in your garage. This is coming from a guy that hasn't even seen the car yet. I'm still a bit shocked I'm buying this car sight unseen and undriven! I just have to go with the numbers and 99% of those that have seen and driven it have said everything I want to hear. That includes our mates on the other side of the pond at Top Gear in the UK which usually hate Vettes and American cars in general. When they say this car is astonishing and that nothing can touch it at twice the price I'm sold.

Do let us know if you get one.

@dcamanara. I couldn't agree more.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 5:12 PM, Petricca wrote:

Love the new look

Love the price

Loved my 1980

Will love this one!

And of course I'm 64...

Saw one the other day

Totally blown away.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 5:43 PM, rouge997 wrote:

@dcamanara. Though I haven't seen the recent Porsche Car sales figures but I'm sure you are spot on there. I was at a Porsche dealer recently and they said 991 sales have been slow. Though I love those cars, I really believe they have reached the tipping point in diminishing returns. It seems every new generation is 10-15K more than the last and they are just not exotic enough to demand that kind of pricing.

I do know this, the new Stingray is got to have them scared and on notice because it's going to put a major dent in their U.S. sales figures.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 6:26 PM, LowUFO wrote:

I am on my 6th Vette (Z06). Each one has been better than the last. The C7 is the best looking yet. Not every one can afford them and few can really appreciate the adrenaline rush you get when ticking sub 20 second miles. It is an acquired taste. Few can justify spending upwards of $100K on a vehicle you only drive when the sun is out. The new styling is awesome and the interior upgraded to perfection. The interior is reminiscent of the leather in my '09 GT1. As far as the new C7's, I have but two problems. The small engine and the GM brand. I hope the future will bring a Z06 or ZR1 model but unfortunately, the GM logo will stay. The Government Motors tag will leave a foul taste in my mouth forever.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 6:27 PM, MichAgain wrote:

I've never been a vette fanatic... until now! The C7 is a stunner and arguably the most improved vette vs. its previous version.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 6:55 PM, quincyqb wrote:

Hi. So. Age being the point of debate, gonna say first; I'm 16, almost 17.

I'm restoring my dad's old hot rod, it had a '68 Corvette 327, and I replaced it with a 2013 Corvette 350, let me just say, this engine at least is AMAZING. A short block putting out 290 horsepower (well more than that with a tunnel ram intake) is pretty damn impressive, then put in the fact of cost? 2,000 dollars for a brand spanking new engine in a crate. Oh, and of course aftercost, fuel? Gets better mileage by a long shot. Now, granted, this is the 2013, not the 2014. But looking at the new one, that's a great car. I love my cars, but let me just say, I love this car. It's a good 'ol American sports car. And the new style is great, maybe it doesn't have the curves, but it has that old agressive look. That was what made it, it always looked sleek, and agressive. This car is a beast, and deserves to be respected. Not to mention, for those of us race fans, Corvette has put down race stats like they never have before. Their still not up top, but they actually keep up with some of the Ferrarri racers now. Long story short, this car is just fine.

Vroom vroom.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 7:00 PM, 67elcaminoDan wrote:

I'm a 24 yr old car enthusiast. I believe your article to be very wrong. I've heard all of my friends & family say look at the new vette its awesome. The issue at hand is none of them say they would be willing to put up that kinda $ for the car. as niether would I. me myself i will not buy a new car as i am more into the 80's & older. I own a 1967 El Camino & a 1981 c10 stepside pickup. My dad(mid 40's) raised me on old cars such as his 1966 Chevelle Malibu & other cars of the 60's. I did however buy my wife a new 2011 Caliber a fews back. The only reason i bought it was because the deal was too hard to pass(new for 14,800 on a car worth 19,800 according to NADA). the new vette is very nice. if i had that kinda money though id rather find a 30's coupe & cruise in that. younger sports car drivers are into the older cars as well as newer ones. the issue that most face is the cost & MPG. they want a sporty car that is fast while still being great on gas. I say that you can only have one or the other. i would sacrafice a few mpg for a more HP & torque anyday. the cost is def the biggest issue. my sister loves vettes & wants a new one, while she cannot afford this, but instead saved money & bought a 300hp v8 s10. EVERYBODY WANTS SPEED. EVERYONE WANTS LOOKS. BUT MOST WILL SETTLE FOR LOWER COST IF IT MEANS THEY CAN AFFORD TO DRIVE IT. me myself ill buy it & drive it as long as its 3 things; 1-FAST 2-looks great & 3-older than 1985.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 7:03 PM, guy202020 wrote:

I'm not sure about some of the opinions presented in this article. I purchased my first corvette when I was 22. A brand new 2008 C6. Every time I went to the drag strip, guys my age and younger would stand around and talk about the car. They had even more to talk about when I ran a 12.05 @ 118.25 that night with a stock corvette. Young people don't buy these cars because they are very expensive. And even those who can afford them don't buy them because they probably figure they have better things to do with $56,000. When I used to belong to car clubs (mainly GM cars) the corvette was the most sought after by the younger crowd. Unfortunately because of their price, they would settle for camaros, TAs, GTOs, G8, or used CTS-Vs. As far as styling goes, GM will not use retro styling because their race car is based on the production corvette. The shape of the car is what it is to achieve the least amount of drag. Goofy retro styling drastically increases the drag coefficient and that's not what the corvette race team is after.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 7:08 PM, mottledtool wrote:

When I was barely walking I saw our neighbor drive his new '57 Vette out of his driveway and instantly fell in love. A few years later I rode home from the Chevy dealer in my father's new '65 Stingray and thought life had gotten about as good as it could get. I promised myself that I'd get a Vette when I grew up. Then the '70s, '80s and '90s happened and I fell out of love with the Corvette. Not really with the mechanicals, but with the look and style of the car and what it seemed to say about it's owners. The C6 was starting to win me over just a bit and gave me hope that the C7 might finally be a new Vette worth buying. I strongly dislike the gimmicky styling of the new car. It is trying SO hard that it has the look of a woman with brightly dyed hair, collagened lips, augmented breasts, tight dress and too much makeup. This new Vette is a tart. I might take it for a few laps on a dark track somewhere, but I wouldn't want to be seen in public with it.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 7:18 PM, prs3 wrote:

I agree about the price. I always wanted a vette and could finally afford one when I was 55. All the kids and young guys just drool over corvettes. They just can't afford one. It's always been that way. As times get harder and the work force gets less skilled and educated, fewer will be able to afford a vette. Too bad.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 7:50 PM, sr2Corvette wrote:

A well written article. I have owned Corvettes since I was seventeen with my first purchase of a '58 in 1966. The age demographic, back then, and progressing into the 70s, was a much younger crowd.

The real problem, I think, is that GM pooched the brand starting in the 70s until the introduction of the Z06 in the early part of this decade. Starting with the early 70s the car was simply a caricature of itself.

Companies like Porsche, year after year, were improving the breed where GM was simply leveraging off the name by selling an uninspired overweight, underpowered, and, in most cases, a three speed automatic. You can't fool everyone forever and they lost a potential following over the years by sinking to something less than full blown mediocrity.

I guess George Romney hit it on the head when he once said (of the Big 3): "The most dangerous thing in business, is the belief in entrenched success".......

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 7:52 PM, YOUNGcorvetteFAN wrote:

This is one of the dumbest articles ever written in journalism...and that's saying a lot! We LOVE Corvettes, but simply can not afford them. The same people are buying because the same people have wealth. If wealth were to change hands some of mine would go to a Corvette dealer... Corvette's are that just out of reach dream car for many younger people. It's the true American icon sports car, and every red blooded American I know wants one of every make and in all their favorite colors. If I had the means by which to afford Corvettes, I'd collect them. Now may my work pay off and I'll help yours do the same. Amen.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 8:09 PM, bigyakman wrote:

The new vette is an impressive looking car in person. But like all modern Vettes, it is too big. Shrink it slightly, lose a hundred pounds, then call me. Stand right in front of it and you will see just how big the front end really is.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 8:19 PM, bragusa wrote:

I think you're off. I'm 40 and just waiting for my build to complete. The technology and styling in these is amazing and should definitely help bring in a younger crowd.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 8:34 PM, me109g1967 wrote:

Your the fool Jack. This car rocks and relives the 1963s introduction so get back in your smart car and go looking for your yugo.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 9:53 PM, RickZ51 wrote:

I don't drive my C6 convertible to impress anyone. I drive it because it's a thrill. It's something I always wanted, and I could afford it at 59. I could never do that before while raising a family. I've never owned a sports car or a convertible, and the combination is truly wonderful. People really enjoy riding in it with me. It's not something I'm after, but I find that people are impressed by it and they regularly come up to me and tell me so. It's not an inexpensive car, but it's truly a great value and a unique and iconic American car. True to form, I'd rather buy a restored '62 C1 convertible than a C7, and I probably will. It you don't like it, kindly keep it to yourself and go spend your own money however you like. I couldn't care less what you do.

• Report this Comment On October 06, 2013, at 10:52 PM, d49j12cx4not wrote:

It is a Corvette folks, reality is that it is a great sports car and a much improved automobile. Perception is king. Most prospective buyers in the 25-45 age bracket that are successful and in a financial position to purchase a vehicle in this prince range would not want to admit it to their peer group, therefore they will not buy it. Corvette is a great brand but I believe at times that GM holds onto their various prestigious brand heritages at the detriment of revenue optimization. In example, Malibu is a tremendous heritage brand (and a good car) but compare that to the Ford Fusion or Honda Accord brands. Excite the buying market with re-branding to capture the actual innovation of the product and you not only get the legacy buyers but you also propel the product image into the new buyer domain (previously untapped demographic segments) where legacy brand equates to boring and "uncool". It is truly a shame when branding and related marketing and messaging do not allow an innovative product to recognize its true revenue potential.

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 12:40 AM, erniemink wrote:

Really? Lighter? It means that if you get in an accident the car will be damaged worse than if you were hit in a heavier metal car like those made in the 50's through the 70's. This is one reason why I will never drive a vehicle in my life, and instead take the bus, walk, cycle, what have you. It is much safer than being in your own car blowing down the highway at 55 to 70 miles per hour. There is way too much risk and there are thousands killed every year in vehicular accidents. And just because it has not happened to you, does not mean it never can. Why take the risk and even waste more money, when you can use that money for something more beneficial, even savings. In this economy, especially in the last 20 years, it is just not really smart to invest in vehicles at all.

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 1:43 AM, Jason87467 wrote:

I really thought the writer had a legitimate gripe of the actual car/ But, I find it takes an idiot to write something like this and wonder why there is a problem selling the Corvette to the younger generation.

I guess when someone can not find something wrong with a car, they have to find something else to complain about.

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 1:48 AM, JohnnyFlash wrote:

Nastalgia can sometimes kill a brand off when it's clientel dieS off. Just like rouge997 and tmfmarlowe, I am in the mid forty bracket at 45. I have went from my 91 300z in in 93 to my 91 NSX in 95 and then to my 99 C2 996 911 in 2007 (AND LOVED EVERY ONE OF THEM) to finally selling it of to try to attian a 07 V8 Vantage.

I like the Vette because it is american but I don't like the Vette beause it seems to be the same ol same ol since it left the late 60's design. Yes, it is a beast but I would not go buy one (or any one) because of the long nose and the typical big and flat american butt on it. Now, I do like my females with a big back end but it's gotta have some curves to it and the Vette just doesn't have it.

You want new clients you need a new design.

If I had my way I would move the whole cockpit up 18" to shorten the nose. Transverse the motor in a mid ship design. Narrow down the back end just a bit and all wheel drive that B!+(H!!!!!! Then you would have and car would that not only out perform everything but you would have something that the rest of the world would have to respect out of beauty and fear at the same time. And true not everyone would be able to afford that. But that would make me very proud of the Vette and buy one. Especially if the Germans, Europeans, Italians and Brits all poked their heads out with disbelief and said "THE AMERICANS DID WHAT???"

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 1:57 AM, Rockut wrote:

The problem with younger drivers buying this car is not that they dont want it . Its that its simply not as affordible as it was in its hayday in the 60s.

Back then it cost 4000 some odd with the average salery at 15000. Now it cost 100000 with the average salery down to 24000 from the mid thirties. in fact after working a few summers and saving his money a kid could afford a good used model.

When the 1984 c4 came out the price shot up to 30000 much more than the average salery at that time. The first person I saw driving the c4 was an older man with white hair. Gm has made unafordibility a tradition of the corvette and that was thier mistake.

It is also a mistake to copy a less legendary cars looks. When the camaro came out it copied the corvetes taillights. Copying the camaros rear end is annother mistake.

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 2:20 AM, TBK247 wrote:

What made the second generation Corvette Stingray popular was the fact that it was small, nimble, powerful. The second generation Corvette is a true example of what the Stingray really is. Over the years the Corvette has become bigger, and bigger, and bigger, and more bloated in size. the Corvette was known for its power its handling and its small compact size.

In the late or early 70's the rush for cars to become bigger and faster and more powerful influenced a new generation of Corvette that became bigger and more bloated in order to keep up with the trend of the day, rather than stay true to its roots.

if you look at the most popular sports cars what do they have in common? Answer. They're all smaller, nimble cars. For example Porsche 911, Porsche Boxster, BMW 3 series, Mercedes roadster, Scion FRS, Subaru BRZ, and earlier sports cars like Pontiac Fiero, Toyota MR2, Toyota Celica.

the first and second generation Corvette was in that same class- That perfect niche market of nimble small fast sports cars. After the second generation Corvette it became not a sports car but a muscle car and that's where the change in interest started happening.

the 70's are over and even though some of the influences of 70's sports car design has made its way into modern sports cars that fad of huge car is not the most popular sports car platform.

Chevrolet can't take an oversized monster of a car and put the Stingray name on it and expect people to accept that car like they did the original small, nimble, powerful, stingray of the past.

What Chevrolet should have done is make two versions of the Corvette--The evolved muscle car (and don't call it a stingray) and reto one -- A small, nimble two-seater stingray. If they did that I guarantee you that the small stingray would beat out the large bloated Corvette many times over in sales.

Chevrolet just can't get it out of there head that the Corvette needs to be this large monstrous car and that's where the problem lies.

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 6:55 AM, aja7 wrote:

I'm 25 years old and I must say this car is absolutely gorgeous. I'd buy it...if it weren't WAY out of my price range. It's just not worth it. I make a decent living, but buying this car would be financially irresponsible when I can get a camaro or mustang for half the price. I believe that is why people my age don't buy corvettes; they're well known to people my age as the really cool looking car that only our parents can afford.

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 7:31 AM, jepaul wrote:

I have loved the corvette since I was a kid in the 60s. There is a lot of truth in this article. Corvette needs to look to the Euro market for inspiration on body design. Jaguar and Aston Martin both have figured it out, sharp hard lines are out, soft gentle sexy curves are in!

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 7:43 AM, southernmom01 wrote:

I feel like Chevrolet is copying the Dodge Viper's appearance with the 'new' Corvette!

If a car company as big as GM can't come up with a more original concept...I have no respect for them. Although, I lost all respect for Chevrolet when they took money from Obama...now they are Government Motors...sad really!!

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 8:47 AM, s266123e wrote:

I have to agree with this article completely. For some reason I have never been able to fall in love with a vette like I have a Mustang. I am in my 40's and still can't afford a sports car without sinking myself into large quantities of debt. I owned a Mustang in the early 2000's (debt king), loved it always wanted another, the price is just out of reach these days. The vette has no appeal and as you stated and will all GM editions they date so very quickly. Sure it goes fast and looks flashy, but there are others that go just as fast but hold their looks. Heck my motorcycle will blow the doors off any vette and it only cost $11K new. Perhaps this is what they want or the car manufactures wouldn't be who they are today. Yet with how much they cost now, they are truly investments that can return reward yet you have to go back in time to when these models began to reap your reward. This new vette is far from a luxury buyers garage and will only live in the vette enthusiast heart and collections forever.

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 9:43 AM, karlkalisso wrote:

It is a real pity US born males do not appreciate some US cars. This Vette is the only US car I would buy. When you read auto motor und sport, they have been praising the Vette forever. Even in Germany is a "cheap" car compared to a Porsche 911 turbo. And they love it, they do not bitch about the plastic or whatever. A Corvette is to be enjoyed in the Autobahn along Ferraris, Porsches, BMWs, Mercedes AMGs. Period. It is a great car.

Young guys do not buy it since it is very expensive, totally unaffordable, just that. If you were a generous Bill Gates and would give 1000 Vettes out, you would have millions of applications to get one.

It is just a great car, its only problem today is, it is manufactured by Government Motors...

Read any car magazine and you will find excellent reviews. I bet even in China (I cannot say, I do not speak/write/read Chinese, but I can speak/write/read German, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian and Portuguese. And in those places, even the French, car fans love Corvettes. They cannot be all wrong, can they?

But not everybody has one, it is expensive and guzzles lots of gas (very expensive in Europe). Ditto for Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.

This is truly the only US made car which is revered the world over.

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 10:00 AM, BrainCitro wrote:

35 and have always been a Ford guy but I'm always willing to look at new cars. I do say I like the look of the new Vette. The Camaro tail lights are kinda of a turn off though. Maybe you guys can tell me if things have changed. My parents bought a new vette in 1991. By my Senoir year 1996 the doors on the vette were already starting to need help getting up into the door jam. I had a 84 Tbird and the doors still shut like a new car.

I think people are just trying to be smart with there money now. I really wanted to pull the trigger on the 2012 GT500. When I started figuring in a new set of rear tires every year, Insurance, and the higher likely hood of tickets I opted out. Plus I wanted to try something different. I ended up with a Leaf.

I still have my Sport bike for speed thrills and for far less cost. I guess I want to retire younger then have a sports car right now. Maybe ill pick up a Vette or something when I'm 50 :-)

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 10:20 AM, BFHolcombe wrote:

#1 reason youger people aren't buying vette's is their income will not enable them to buy. I own a C6 (been a great car) and in line to buy a C7. I know many of the younger set that would have one EXCEPT for the money issue. The C6 is my third 'vette and the C7 will be my forth. Younger people are into the Smart phone and Video games (which can cost as much as my first car). Looks like they are selling good to me!

Isn't that the point? A product that sells!

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 10:57 AM, mbbnsb wrote:

I think you are way off base, I own a C6 and I had the chance to sit in the new Vette and I think it is very nice. You are always going to have people that complain about the Corvette. There are people that complain about the C6 even though the car is fast, comfortable and gets 30 MPG on the highway, and it's made in the USA.

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 11:07 AM, dcamanara wrote:

Wow lots of opinions flying here and many agreeing with me. The new car is refreshing, bold cutting edge etc. I stand by what I said...our friend the author has an axe to grind with Corvette. There are the "haters" out there and i find this especially when it comes to the east and west coast auto media elitist. Who will fall over themselves to "euro flag wave" and never appreciate anything we do here even when we finally build an amazing new car at any price. The Vette is an American icon and it's OUR American icon and thank God we still have it !

As far as the new Vette, I was just in a dealer this weekend. Twelve people looking at the new car and NOT ONE was over 50 yrs. old...let me go one better....on the same day a Ferrari pulled to see it...a Lamborghini pulled up to see it AND the dealer took in a Bentley on trade for a new Stingray. Now you have to be blind not to see something has changed....OR just a hater.

Btw..I have owned many Porsches but I am having SO much fun with Corvettes now for considerably less money. What I find hilarious is that we sit here debating the prices of Corvettes and in the mean time Porsche is charging OVER 80 grand for moderately equipped Caymans !

Are you kidding me...and I don't here ONE person in the elitist coastal media question that EVER. Give me a break ! Look at the numbers ...Caymans and Boxsters ARE NOT SELLING period.

Talk to me in 10 months when Corvette has sold 25,000 cars in 10 months and as an American I'm d..amn proud !

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 11:11 AM, dcamanara wrote:

sorry..."hear" one person in the elitist media...I guess I can type when my blood pressure goes up ! lol

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 11:14 AM, dcamanara wrote:

Sorry "can't " type ! da...mn ! see what i mean

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 11:36 AM, mikem70 wrote:

Gee GM must of really blew it on the corvette... Sarcasm intended...

"DETROIT — GM has a six-day supply of the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, Edmunds learned on Monday, meaning that the car is virtually sold out at this point."

Some people should just stick to critiquing movies...

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 11:47 AM, RickyDR wrote:

Wow Love the comments. And I agree with others the author of this article is not bent toward Corvettes. I'm on of those 65 yr young hot roder"s. I still drive a C5 and love the car.

I think GM did a wonderful job on the C6 and the new C7's quality, dependability,drive ability plus the Look are totally styling in the right direction.

Maybe GM should keep making the smaller version like saturn did and Pontiac did at a much lower price with turbo's to attract the drifter type car owner to compete with wrx,honda,etc

. And for the much older guys in our group one 78 year old went out and bought a C6 ZO6, he can barely get in and out but say's once in the car he forgets about that, and says it is very comfortable. He Loves it. Another the guy in the group had a new Vette ordered and went and bought a new Jag instead. Go figure, he paid $20K more.

But on a whole the buz in the hod rod world is the NEW VETTE IS A HOT ITEM. The dealers make me mad because of their Additional Dealer Profit they tried this before and none of us bought from them, we just stayed away from those dealers. Their really shooting them selves in the foot when they pull that stuff off. WERE NOT THAT STUPID DEALERS!! BUT GM WE LOVE THE CAR!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!! YOUR THE BEST. That's why we use only GM motor's in all our old cars they work well.

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 12:54 PM, CluckChicken wrote:

How does one justify saying "GM didn't rethink the Corvette formula this time around" after spending several paragraphs comparing it to Porsche? Porsche hasn't changed their formula (or even look in the slightest) and that is great, but GM should be more like Porsche unless they already are and in that case they should change but still be the same.

Want to influence younger buyers get the car mags and shows to spend more time talking about the Corvette. This is the same problem the CTS has, the mags/shows love it when they compare it to the BMWs but then never talk about it again.

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 1:07 PM, dcamanara wrote:

Coulnd't agree more with Cluck below...the reason that these points about Porsche are not brought up is because the coastal elitist auto media are obsessed with Porsche and won't talk about it. Porsche takes ZERO chances in design every design cue is repeated in every car. But the self loathing American auto media is too distracted beating up it's own American cars over and over ....it really is a joke

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 3:26 PM, incepticon wrote:

Ultimately, money talks, and my fiancée, a successful 32 year old female software engineer, placed her order for a fully loaded Stingray. It'll be $73K of her hard earned money and she will pay for it in cash. It'll be her third car, after a 2006 Civic and a 1994 Cherokee. That money would have gone to a BRZ or a Cayman, so it says something that the Stingray won her vote.

Out here in Silicon Valley, I've seen several folks at companies like Facebook buying the new Stingray instead of the Tesla Model S. These are people who never would have purchased the previous C6 Vette, so Chevrolet is doing something right.

At least with younger folks in their 20's and 30's, the knife edged styling is resonating in a big way, so I respectfully suggest that the author of this article may be of the wrong generation to fully appreciate this car.

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 3:32 PM, incepticon wrote:

Another way to look at this is that Corvettes have been incredible values when you look at the way they balance raw performance, everyday usability, and fuel efficiency. However, the elephant in the room with the Corvette has always been refinement and interior quality.

The takes away all the "yeah, but" arguments because it is, for the first time, a very complete and very premium experience. For folks like us who spend a significant amount of time on building well thought out products, we sense kindred spirits on the Corvette team.

Time will tell whether or not this local effect I've seen results in a demographic shift, but initial signs are very promising.

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 3:46 PM, dcamanara wrote:

"Out here in Silicon Valley, I've seen several folks at companies like Facebook buying the new Stingray instead of the Tesla Model S"

Or at least until last week when the Tesla became

a "tree hugger's wet dream tinderbox of flames" ! LOL

God do I hate electric cars !

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 4:09 PM, incepticon wrote:

<- don't knock it until you try it. In terms of fires per mile driven, the Tesla is still ahead. Proof by example is not proof.

• Report this Comment On October 07, 2013, at 5:07 PM, dcamanara wrote:

What perfect timing ! Ladies and Gentleman !

I just got the new Car and Driver and guess what ....the Porschephiles at Car and Driver just picked the 68 grand Stingray over a 148 grand 911 S ! That is correct....the Corvette won.

Can you imagine a 148 grand 911 and the Vette still won. Indeed the game has changed

• Report this Comment On October 08, 2013, at 8:02 AM, CluckChicken wrote:

dcamanara - They picked the last Vette over the same year 911. The issues hasn't been that the Vette was getting beat by other cars, it is after they crown a GM car the winner there will be months of articles praising the 911, BMW, Honda, or whatever before you will see another one on the car that won the head to head. It becomes very difficult to change the image of something if all the media content is about everybody else.

• Report this Comment On October 08, 2013, at 11:04 AM, dcamanara wrote:

Cluck..you are so right. It's something I've already said...the coastal media is so in the tank for foreign cars it's disgusting. I personally think the media has no choice but to acknowledge how good this new Vette is and I just want to sit back and watch them twist in the wind trying to defend the completely obscene German prices. It's sad they have no appreciation for their country's cars when they do something right.

• Report this Comment On October 11, 2013, at 2:04 PM, cherie1022 wrote:

I was all excited about a new body style, I had a 1989 Corvette for 10 years and miss it a lot. So I was thinking of getting a 2014 as a retirement gift to myself at age 62. But I hate the tail lights. It looks like a Camaro--Corvettes have ROUND tail lights. Maybe I will think different when I see it in person--but I don't like it.

• Report this Comment On October 19, 2013, at 2:01 AM, mwislandhopper wrote:

I have always felt buy American and keep Americans working. I will not even drive a foreign rental car. I also have been a fan of the Corvettes since I was a kid. I lost interest in the Vettes in the 70s and 80s. In 2008 a friend purchased a new Vette and I was impressed and started following articles related. I took a test drive in a used 2010 Z06 but my wife was not interested. When I read an article stating the ZR1 was out performing the Ferraris of over 3 times the cost with a more reliable vehicIe I was impressed. I have also followed the LS engine line amazed at there performance, reliability and still getting reasonable mileage. My wife and I purchased the 2nd G4 Camaro convertible sold in San Diego North County as an investment. It has been trouble free and we love it. Then I seen the 2014 Corvette and I love it. I have been reading about it and been wanting one more and more.I feel Chevrolet has built the car of my dreams. I am considering selling the Camaro for a new Vette.

• Report this Comment On October 27, 2013, at 1:16 AM, Cayman2014 wrote:

Wait just a minute. I'm 66 yrs old and I could have purchased a 2014 Vette much cheaper than what I paid for my special order 2014 Cayman. Vettes are nice cars, but I like the 50's and 60's models over recent designs. The only problem is it is like the Mustang, a "me too" car because so many people own them. True, I'm old school and a complete test is a road track much like LeMans which tests both the endurance and skills of the driver and auto. Driving in a straight line 1/4 mile or an oval track has never appealed to me. From an Engr standpoint it doesn't get any better than mid engine Porsche's, the handling is the best I've ever experienced and their aren't enough adjectives to describe how great the PDK transmission performs. I've owned BMW's which performed as advertised - "the ultimate driving machine." But, the Cayman exceeded them all. Far too many Corvette owner's love to criticize foreign cars while never driving one - especially a Porsche. If Vettes are your thing, by all means buy one but not unfairly by criticizing other manufacturer's without any justification. My Cayman does turn heads because it is unique, excellent quality of materials used to manufacture and don't forget it was named by a 68 world wide experts (heavily U.S. weighted) as the world's greatest performance automobile. Just goes to show horsepower isn't everything unless only in America.

• Report this Comment On November 01, 2013, at 10:07 AM, Lancelot wrote:

Your article makes some good points but misses the point entirely in my opinion. I have owned every generation corvette with the exception of a C7 (which will change in the future). Did you ever wonder why the demographic in the age cohort of 61 is buying these cars? Back in the day, there was a car culture. Jan and Dan, the Beach Boys, and so many others wrote and sang about them. Today's marketing from automakers fails miserably to ignite the same level of passion (or much of any passion for that matter) with the younger generation. The problem is NOT in the styling of the C7. It is in the failure of the automakers to create a culture of passion around the fabulous offering of great sports and muscle cars that are being offered today, like they did back in the day when we were talking wild horses to describe mustang and "the wide track" to describe the GTO! Notably, despite the horsepower wars of the day, automakers still managed to sell their bread and butter grocery getters of which cars like Nova and Civic have in common, then and now: both great cars for their purpose. We need a return of the culture to keep the spirit alive. Hats off the to the C7 Corvette stylists who managed to keep their end of the bargain. The problem is not in design but in marketing.

My decision to drive a Corvette has nothing to do with status, arrogance, or any similar trait. I grew up on a home made go kart that I built and the feeling of passi

• Report this Comment On November 09, 2013, at 11:45 PM, CAvetteman wrote:

Obama says if you like your Corvette C7 you can keep it ... period!

If you like your Corvette service dealer you can keep them.... period!

oops. unless you have driven the C7 in the last 7 days then you have to give it up.

• Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 12:47 AM, CAvetteman wrote:

The author of the article lost his credibility with me in his first paragraph when he stated the new Corvette was lighter. This is not true. He did not do his research. It is true GM did many things to improve lighter weight components with carbon fiber and other carbon fiber shared composite materials but the weight of other engine and transmission technology has added weight. The end result is that the C7 weighs 100 lbs more than the C6. He should have known this.

With that said, the rest of his assessment was spot on. I agree totally with him about the missing generations not interested in owning a Vette. They want to read about them and see them on the road but it is not for them. They want cars with an inherent design flaw. That design flaw is called a back seat and it is a forever thing you can never get rid of. I am the typical C7 owner as of Oct 17, 2013 and yes I am the older guy at 64.

And for the record I have a friend that is a Porsche car salesman and he tells me that Porsche buyers and Porsche dealerships are frightened of this new C7.

• Report this Comment On November 16, 2013, at 4:44 PM, T0IV0 wrote:

1) Corvette is too big. They need to bring back the Solstice/Sky size 2-seater, but with power top, and bigger interior.

2) Corvette is too costly to maintain. Magnetic shocks, soon dual-clutch transmissions, tires that cost $1,000 EACH, injector service that will require the whole top side of the motor be removed for access. Body work looks to be over the top expensive, and with more and more texters and cell phone addicts on the road with me, inevitable.

3) Its day is past. I don't care about top speed, 200 mph is a joke. Why would I care about that? 300, 400 HP in a smaller car would more than satisfy my real-world stop-light bursts.

4) It is oriented towards males. They're ignoring half (actually more than half) the market.

5) It has a history of poseur owners, owners who race their wallets and not their abilities. It was created in an era of shade-tree mechanics and hot-rodders to allow those with more money than skill to keep up with the modded hemis and bosses. That poseur aura still lingers.

6) Not only the 20 somethings, but 40+ somethings really don't care about cars as much as they did in their younger days. Too locked down with emissions equipment and miles of wiring. Really don't see the point of the Corvette anymore.

• Report this Comment On December 01, 2013, at 4:21 AM, enzowho wrote:

I am on my 24th Corvette. I still have my first, a 1962 and my most recent, a 2013 Grand Sport convertible. I love the looks of both cars, especially the widebody on the GS. After 45 years of continuous Corvette ownership, I have mixed feelings about the C7 car. Seeing it in person made me like it more than in pictures. I am concerned about the large numbers of used 2014s for sale so soon after only 2 months of arriving at dealers. I am wondering if these new owners are disappointed with the C7 and what the disappointments are.

• Report this Comment On December 05, 2013, at 2:18 AM, makstone wrote:

I could't help but notice a couple of glaring issues with this article. First off, the author gives us an exact age figure when referring to Corvette buyers...but when referring to the same demographic referring to Porsche buyers, merely says that "plenty" of Porsche buyers are "in their forties". Secondly, the fact that the author compares the demographic for one model (Corvette) to an entire Porsche model line that includes the Panamera sedan, the Cayenne SUV, the Boxster and the Cayman automatically disqualifies that comparison. Lastly, according to Truecar, the average age of the Porsche 911, the Corvette's direct competitor...is in fact 51. Kind puts a different light on the article huh?

• Report this Comment On December 05, 2013, at 2:28 AM, makstone wrote:

It is way too early to determine what the true average age of the new Corvette buyer is going to be... it has only been in dealerships for a couple of months. The current average age figures are for the previous model that's 8 years old. Apples and oranges to say the least.

• Report this Comment On December 22, 2013, at 8:12 AM, Blkvett wrote:

I agree. I like the new stingray very much so, however I was driving down the road in my blk convertible c6 and I saw a red stingray on the side of me. End result I felt my c6, looked just as nice, and also kinda made me have a different outlook on trading mine for a faster vehicle that doesn't look any better in my eyes as I see more and more. Nice vehicle as I stated, I'm waiting to see end result of how the c7 pans out.

• Report this Comment On January 01, 2014, at 10:31 AM, Prefurbia wrote:

I had (have) a deposit on the new vette, but a month before my number came up I bought a used Aston Martin Vantage 2009 for $72000 with a two year factory warranty. Before ordering the Vette, I drove the Vantage to the dealer to test drive a C7, and on every level, the C7 failed to compare to the point I found little that would entice me to spend the extra for another toy to play with. The Aston for the same price (less actually) is elegance personified - the C7 seemed over the top transformers styling for video gamers, and plasticky. The technical advantage of the C7 certainly was not felt in the test drive, and even though the C7 would win in a race, it 'felt' slower and much less refined.

I did not order the C7, and may not have anyway because the styling turns me off- i'm 61, so at my age i hoped for a more refined design, like the old vettes. The chevy thing did not bother me as my son and i built two chevy powered Porsches.

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 4:39 PM, skahn wrote:

Well, let me say this. I have a Porsche 911 Targa, a Cadillac EXT, and 4 classic Trans Ams. I have had Ferraris and the such. I would never have thought about owning a corvette, until now.

I bought the C-7 coupe put 2500 miles on it, then just traded it in and was given the full MSRP that I paid for it, and bought the C-7 Convertible at MSRP. The car is so strong that the used one is selling for $4k more then when it was new and now with the milage on it.

Ever since I got the new Stingray I have not driven one of my other cars at all. The new Stingray is awesome, I have become the Banner Boy for the new Vette. It is just awesome!! Can't tell you how many Porsche, Ferrari, etc. drivers have pulled up and told me awesome car.

Like the posts earlier talking about Cadillacs demographics at present and what an awesome product they are putting out to a much younger consumer, the Corvette will as well.

I am taking delivery of a new 2015 Escalade this April. the vehicle is awesome as well.

Way to go GM!!

• Report this Comment On March 03, 2014, at 8:29 PM, kwethington1 wrote:

I asked about getting a Corvette with the dealer, one I have purchased from before. He said, I don't think I can get you one before next year. In addition, I read in the car magazine that GM board members are bragging that the factory expects to make 10k a car for the Corvette.

Build a base model that is back to the 3,000 lbs it needs to be, goes 0-60 in 4 seconds, 1/4 mile in 12 seconds or less, and costs the same as a Mustang GT, with the suspension, exhaust, and seat upgrade it needs. The author is right about the styling, overdone to the point it will soon be passé. Plus, Corvette is the only real American sports car, but is still can't see the writing on the wall when it is compared with other sports cars. They all have 4 years, 50 or 60k miles, or more full warranty, vice the 3 years, 36k. If in this century you can't build a car that you can't warranty for 100k and six years, stop trying.

You are not going to sell a sports car to a younger man when you tell him, there is an 11 month wait, and the best deal we can get you is, retail plus.

The dealers make 3k off the top, plus another 2k with their 3 percent MSRP, options included, hold back on the final, plus the dealer is getting another, $1000 dealer incentive for each sale, and the factory is bragging about making a profit of $10k a car.

Furthermore, the country of loaded with Corvettes from the past, used little and cared for a lot by people who only drove them on the weekend, if then. The 1990 high end Corvette with 20k is not hard to find and selling for the low 20s, with a top end of 190mph for the high end engines.

Personally, I would much prefer to have a Corvette over a new Mustang Gt or Camaro 1 or 1SS. If, for no other reason than the governors in these cars are set so low, it is an insult to compare them with any Corvette from the last ten even 20 years.

• Report this Comment On March 18, 2014, at 11:09 PM, Winter2014 wrote:

These writers need to get people riled up so people will read their article. I am 52 years old, just put in an order for 2014 stingray for $56,000. There is no way Big John has driven the new corvette, the reviews from everyone has been exceptional or WOW what a machine. The sales of the Vette have been twice what were planned by GM and it is a money maker.

Much of the younger generation are not into vehicles, they travel by mass transit or biking. This has all the car manufacturers worried for the future.

Going down the road the Vette gets the looks, heads turning, and thumbs up.

Sorry big John the Vette is a winner and your article is not.

• Report this Comment On March 24, 2014, at 10:16 PM, Cineluxe wrote:

My new C7 is my fifth Corvette. I traded in a 2013 Grand Sport. There is no comparison. The car handles beautifully and feels right. It fits. I've had several different sports cars over a lifetime, and even at the low point of the 70s (I had a 1974 Corvette), the marque has been the most fun to drive--and that's comparing Corvettes with a 928S I own. The Stingray offers seemingly endless power, seeming endless gears through which to shift. And when you're behind the wheel you know you are driving one of the world's great cars, as good as any vehicle produced anywhere. Styling is a matter of taste, but to this driver's eye, the C7 is nothing if it's not cool. And the detractors can make all sorts of snotty comments about the vents, yet how many cars have had phony events over the years? The vents on the new Corvette work! I've loved every Corvette I've owned, even when they cost me an arm and a leg. And this new one, the Stingray, is the best of the lot.

• Report this Comment On March 27, 2014, at 2:14 AM, enzowho wrote:

I am on my 24th corvette and have driven them for 46 years straight. I have yet to see one on the road. In November I attended an unveiling at a local dealership. I got caught up in the hype of buying another new car and picking out the color, options etc. Now, I have changed my mind. I don"t like the looks of the car. After sitting in one the seats feel like I'm sitting on a board. The car sits much too high to look good. There are only a few angles where the car looks good. There are only a couple of colors I like. It is hard to believe GM has sold 9000 plus cars. I really wish that I liked it. My 2013 Grand Sport convertible looks so much better. I think my next Corvette will possibly be a used Z06 or ZR1 from the C6 group unless they build a C7 in Atomic Orange.

• Report this Comment On April 24, 2014, at 1:18 PM, GBPforever wrote:

I have a different view on the new Stingray., having owned an Mitsubishi Evolution 7 and 8.5MR, Miatas, Saab turbos and an Infiniti G35. After selling my Evo, I was looking for another performance car.

The Porsche Boxster was the front-runner. Not the performance of the Evo but a great car none the less. I also looked at the C6 Z06 Corvette used or new.

At my previous company, we hired a machinist from the Corvette racing team. He suggested I wait for the C7 Corvette. Looking back, I am very glad I waited. So I have had a front row seat to the release and reception of the C7.

The technology and performance is world class. The pricing was aggressive on release. Yet this has been true for at least ten years for Corvette s. What has changed the most is that the interior is vastly improved especially the seats. The exterior is the first big change since the C4.

The other change from past generation is the reception by car enthusiasts. I have never seen the wide-spread interest in Corvette s that the C7 gets. Southern California is import car centric German and Japanese cars are the most common.

After starting a new job at a very young (as in age of the employees) company I notice half had C7 or C7 Z06 screen savers on their laptops. In the past I would have seen Ferrari, Porsche, and BMWs as screen savers. Many young professionals are aspiring to a Corvette now.

The other areas that this analysis misses is the close tie-ins with Corvette racing and the Corvette development team. Tadge and the team have made themselves available to Corvette owners for discussions and meets around the country. Today they are hosting a corvette Bash at the National Corvette Museum.

Chevy is one of the few companies that will honor the new car warrantee on the track.

Corvettes are not a cheap car but compared to Porsches, BMWs they are a great deal. Is a 911 worth $20K more?

• Report this Comment On May 26, 2014, at 3:28 PM, Scapman81 wrote:

I believe that Chevy is generating some serious buzz with this new Corvette. Review after review, the wide smiles of Corvette enthusiasts and obvious European panic/envy are sure signs of the Stingray revolution. I see that this post was dated October '13. Since then, 2014 C7 sales have increased 200% compared to 2013 C6 sales. Facts are facts.

I'm seeing a COMPLETE climate change in the attitudes of those once indifferent, or even opposed to, America's Sports Car. In addition to GM, I think we will start to see profit margins increase for chiropractors. This is due to the number of strained necks the car is producing as a consequence of its stunning design.

Much like modern Naval Corvettes, C7 Corvettes have developed to compete in all theaters of the modern market-share war. The original Vette's purpose was to be America's first sports car, and it would represent race oriented power and purity. It still holds true to this with 455 bhp to rear wheels produced by a traditional front mounted push-rod V8. A purist who claims a customer coup on Chevy because the C7's tail lights are no longer round is not a purist at all.

I also believe Chevy has succeeded in developing a product that will appeal to younger customers. I am 25, and I surround myself with people the same age. The consensus among friends is that this new Stingray is NASTY. Nasty good. And a young professional like me can get his hands on a brand new one. And he can order it just the way he wants, and pick it up from the factory it was made in, with his name engraved in the center console. She can then look at her boss' 911 and enjoy the silent triumph of a new generation. Her car looks better, costs half as much, and it's muscle will bite her if she let's it. No... You can't have a game of chess over a cup of tea around the corners in a corvette, but why the hell would you want to?

• Report this Comment On August 14, 2014, at 9:25 AM, lanwil39 wrote:

Im 45..I turned my C6 into a monstor..(800+ hp)..Can still be used as a daily driver, but dont pass too many Gas Stations...So since I messed this one up..I was waiting on the New more tamed one...I was never really a vette man...Still not..even though I own one..but this new one is kinda ugly to me...I can deal with the a front of it...but that rear looks as aweful as the price tag...No Way would I pay 65 grand for it...It will sell...(used) so if you just want one..just wait a yr or so...All the 1st buyers will be trading them in for something more comfortable...The vettes are just ok cars...just something to say you owned...My Infiniti G37s coupe is a much better car