Obamacare Penalty Delay: Much Ado About $95?

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act's health-insurance exchanges have gotten under way, but things haven't gone as smoothly as many had hoped. Because of problems with the public getting access to exchange websites to apply for coverage, the Obama administration is considering delaying the implementation of penalties for not having qualify health insurance in place by March 31.

In the following video, Dan Caplinger, The Motley Fool's director of investment planning, discusses the possible delay in implementing Obamacare penalties. He notes that the Affordable Care Act allows people to have up to three months without coverage before penalties are imposed, and so one administration proposal would treat anyone who applied by March 31 as having satisfied the requirement even if the application process takes longer to implement. More importantly, though, Dan points out that the penalties set to take effect -- $95 or 1% of net income above the tax-filing threshold, whichever is greater -- are small enough not to make the delay a very big deal.

Dan concludes with a discussion of the eventual long-term effects of the difficulties in getting Obamacare up and running. Despite all the discussion of problems, several states have done a good job of getting their exchanges going. Xerox (NYSE: XRX  ) and Maximus (NYSE: MMS  ) have fared much better than their peers CGI Group and Quality Software Systems, and they could benefit from exchange success going forward. IT consultants IBM (NYSE: IBM  ) and Accenture (NYSE: ACN  ) can also expect to continue playing vital role. As Dan sees it, in the long run, worrying about whether a $95 penalty was or wasn't imposed will pale in significance to the overall impact of Obamacare.

You really can figure out Obamacare
Provisions like the penalty rules make Obamacare seem complex, but it doesn't have to be. In only minutes, you can learn the critical facts you need to know in a special free report called Everything You Need to Know About Obamacare. But don't hesitate; because it's not often that we release a FREE guide containing this much information and money-making advice. Please click here to access your free copy.


Read/Post Comments (41) | Recommend This Article (4)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 8:08 AM, tristinstone wrote:

    When A US president has to trick you into making this tax a law, then force you to sign up or get fined, then close down the Government just so he doesnt have to extend his opening date? then he extends it anyway because the whole thing is a typical Obama train wreck, Well come on America, havent we had enough of this con-artist sitting in our White house?

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 8:19 AM, Dull wrote:

    SPECIAL RULES.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law—

    ‘‘(A) WAIVER OF CRIMINAL PENALTIES.— In the case of any failure by a taxpayer to timely pay any penalty imposed by this section, such taxpayer shall not be subject to any criminal prosecution or penalty with respect to such failure.

    ‘‘(B) LIMITATIONS ON LIENS AND LEVIES.—The Secretary shall not—

    ‘‘(i) file notice of lien with respect to any property of a taxpayer by reason of any failure to pay the penalty imposed by this section, or

    ‘‘(ii) levy on any such property with respect to such failure.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 8:55 AM, Patastic wrote:

    It's a fine, but only a small fine...without any criminal penalties if you don't pay it....so, you see, it's really not all that bad. No, it's good. Honestly, don't look into the future...

    Give a mouse a cookie, he wants a glass of milk. Give the government a little control over yourself, you'll never get it back!

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 8:56 AM, fr8bil wrote:

    That $95 you so casually mention is OUR money, not the Governent's. A loss of $95 into Government coffers is the difference between making it or not for a week/month for a lot of families. The entire Obamacare disaster is nothing but blackmail (sorry for the pun !) to force an unwanted law down Citizen's throats. Just wait until dummies that voted Obama discover the fine for opting-out in 2016 will exceed $2000.00 and then listen to their screams.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 9:03 AM, drakeiverson wrote:

    Did anyone see the article that said (based on Pentagon info) it costs 2.1 MILLION dollars per soldier per year to be in Afghanistan?! That's 84 BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR the US is flushing down that sewer (and that's just ONE of MANY "sewers"). How much health insurance for struggling families do you think 84 BILLION DOLLARS could fund? The priorities in this country are RETARDED!

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 9:04 AM, wknightsav wrote:

    The highly touted $95 penalty is not the whole story. It's $95 or 1% of your total family income whichever is greater the 1st year. A family making $70,000 would face a penalty of $700.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 9:08 AM, jmc6237 wrote:

    Why should one pay a penalty for the gov mess?

    It can mean a weeks groceries to some people.

    The GOP asked for a delay and this pig-headed

    president refused causing a shut down

    Fire HHS secretary and her boss

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 9:13 AM, kurtdabear wrote:

    The $95 is the minimum. The actual penalty is 1% of your income, so unless you're making $9,500 a year or less, the $95 figure is just more Administration propaganda. And the penalties rise for the first several years of the program.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 9:14 AM, kurtdabear wrote:

    Sorry, wknightsav, missed your comment on the same point.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 9:18 AM, philkoprowski wrote:

    1% of 100,000 is 1,000 dollars. That isn't a small amount.

    The 95 would only apply to someone who makes 9,500 a year. If they make that much, they qualify for medicare.In fact, anyone making 15,000 or less qualifies for medicare.

    So the minimum penalty, unless you are too stupid to get something for free, is more like 160.

    And it goes to 2.5% of income by 2016. That makes the minimum 400 and the 100,000 is 2,500.

    All for not buying something you may not need or want.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 9:26 AM, JackTroy wrote:

    The product is good, really.

    The website has crashed because it's "popular" not "compulsory." (Just like the showers;-)

    It's going to be fixed by November 30th.

    Would we lie to you?

    Scratch that....

    Would we lie to you again?

    The beatings will stop when morale gets better after November 30th

    After November 30th you'll be able to keep your plan.

    Your doctor too, yes, that too.

    If you have any further questions you will be able to log on to healthcare.gov after November 30th or call 1-800-N-I-X-O-N-S-B-K

    Step away from the computer now

    We are here to help you.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 9:41 AM, ANKirkley wrote:

    I'm glad to see wknightsav is paying attention.

    So is kurtdabear.

    Apparently everyone else has got there head so far up Obama's bum that they can't see the light of day unless he opens his mouth. Read the fine print people.

    The fine is as follows according to Healthcare.gov:

    In 2014 - $95 for an individual (uninsured children is $47.50 per child) or 1% of family income, whichever is greater. The most a family would have to pay in 2014 is $285.

    In 2015 - 2% of family income or $325 per adult, whichever is greater.

    In 2016 - 2.5% of income or $695 per person, whichever is higher.

    So what does that really mean?

    2014 - My husband has insurance. Until 2 days ago I didn't. I couldn't afford the insurance through my work ($220 mo) or through the exchange. So - based on my JOINT income of nearly $60,000 a year - my fine would have been $600.00 because 1 of us doesn't have insurance. They say the most one family would pay is $285 - but I'll believe that when I see it.

    2015 - Assuming our JOINT income remains the same and I still didn't have insurance. I would then be facing a fine of $1200.

    2016 - Assuming our JOINT income remains the same and I still don't have insurance. I would then be facing a fine of $1500.

    "How exactly will the penalty be assessed? If you don’t have sufficient health coverage by the deadline, the “IRS will hold back the amount of the fee from any future tax refunds,” according to HealthCare.gov, the government’s marketplace website.

    But what if you don’t get a tax refund?

    Rush Limbaugh picked up on this subject on his show this week, telling listeners: “The only way that they can collect the penalty or the fine is by taking money from your refund. If you are not owed a refund, they cannot get money from you.”

    We asked Mark Luscombe, principal analyst at CCH Tax & Accounting North America, about that. Turns out Limbaugh is essentially right. If you don't get a refund next year, the “IRS could carry over the sum due and apply it against any refunds in future years. On a joint return, the penalty of one joint filer could be applied against the refund due to the other joint filer,” Luscombe says."

    The Obamacare Penalty: Yes, It Can Be Avoided

    By Lisa Scherzer

    DO. YOUR. RESEARCH. PEOPLE!!!!!

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 10:56 AM, glenns45 wrote:

    Obamadosen'tcare is designed to give the offshore corrupt mega Banks and insurance companies more of our money, NEW WORLD ORDER TYRANT!!!!

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 11:02 AM, Baxter1939 wrote:

    The penalty is in fact a TAX per the ruling of the US Supreme Court. The ACA, Obamacare, had some waivers of criminal penalties and limitations on liens and levies; however they are now in conflict with some IRS laws.

    .

    Which do you think will end up being applied when you owe a tax?

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 11:11 AM, True411 wrote:

    Just another example of the Fool taking inputs from dishonest liberals at face value without doing any fact checking.

    The penalty is not $95 dollars, it's $95 per person up to a maximum of $285 per family or 1% of family income, whichever is GREATER. The 1% is going to 2.5% by 2016, just over two years away.

    The average family earns about $51,000 per year. This year, the penalty is $510 for the average family. The penalty for the average family will grow to $1275 in two years.

    That's MUCH different than this dishonest Fool story claims. It takes about 5 minutes to look this stuff up. Why isn't the Fool spending 5 minutes to fact check their stories and analysis?????

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 11:29 AM, worldpatriot007 wrote:

    USA Far Right Wing created MANDATED INSURANCE at state levels, with auto insurance, which is now crap. Overinflated premiums and fees, coverages you cannot afford and disputes if you ever try and collect. The penalty here for not having this mandated rip-off is $700.00 and loss of driving priviledges for 18 months. Every young person needs to understand, if they get sick or injured, the Global Far Right and Left does not care, they will SECURITIZE MEDICAL DEBT in their names, sell them to whomever and use Check 21 2004 to go directly into their bank accounts, without warning to garnish those payments and send their accounts into default, not to mention reporting it against you. Before anyone considers repealing Obamacare, we need to repeal the SECURITIZATION ACT of 2002 ((insurance on debt)) and Check 21 2004 ((writing bad checks in your name with no habeas corpus)). Blaming Obamacare just means you are a political fanatic being lead around by the ticking of your ears.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 11:43 AM, berzerk32 wrote:

    I am 23, a college student. I have health insurance now, but over the summer I won't. I work part time for 5,000 a year. what do i do?

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 11:56 AM, Mjoiner wrote:

    Apparently the writer doesn't understand it isn't just about a $95 penalty. That penalty is for someone who makes very little money. I work for one of the nation's largest income tax prep companies, and the $95 penalty is the MINIMUM penalty. Our system calculates penalties, and a single person who had $30,000 in income would have to pay a penalty of over THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS. This single lady would not qualify for a subsidy and her estimated health insurance cost - based on her age - would cost her about $350 per MONTH. Her penalty would be almost $900 the next year.

    Why would any young, healthy person want to purchase health insurance when they can pay a "small" (I don't consider $300 small) tax penalty when a month's insurance premium would be about the same?

    Tax Penalty $300

    Year's ins. premiums $4200

    Nodummer care DEPENDS on millions of young and healthy people to sign up to make the law "affordable".

    Since people know they won't be turned down for insurance when they get sick or hurt why would they want to buy it?

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 11:56 AM, NoMoeMoney wrote:

    Funny how price differences are never takin into account? A family making $100,000 a year in an expensive city is different from a family making $100,000 in a cheap county?

    Telling people on fixed budgets to pay a large bill each month for health insurance they cannot afford is not going to happen. Epic Fail...

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 12:48 PM, starfish36 wrote:

    The people who get the penalty must want it. The President has said that fines will be delayed due to the delay in rolling out the ACA. People who think that they have control over their medical costs need a serious course in how insurance companies, hospitals and and pharmaceutical companies arrive at their fees and do their billing. You don't have freedom -- they do.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 1:23 PM, prginww wrote:

    the disgraceful failure obama and his ridiculous plan are not worth 95 cents together!

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 1:34 PM, ThreePines wrote:

    Much Ado About $95; yes.you make it sound like $95 is the same as $0.00

    The minimum total if 30,000,000 people cannot enroll by the deadline is $2.85 Billion.

    If it is really $285 then if 30,000,000 people cannot enroll by the deadline is $8.55 Billion.

    In the government's budget this is but a pin prick (using Pres. Obama's term).. In my budget it is approximately 18 earning lifetimes. No it is not zero $$ and it is a big deal to the average Joe. And it is outright theft.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 1:47 PM, rdmcdonald48 wrote:

    Kaplinger - you're an idiot!

    It's not $ 95.00 - it's 1% of your gross income. The law says $ 95.00 or 1% whichever is greater. So, it's $ 360.00 to someone on the bubble of qualifying for the subsidy.

    If you are an $ 8.50 per hour employee at 29 hours a week, for the year, you will pay a fine of $ 128.18.

    Even people on unemployment for 99 weeks will pay more that $ 95.00 because of the threshold.

    Now, the IRS will take it from your tax return, you will not have a choice. The only way you can not pay the $ is to not get a refund - period. How many people will be smart enough to think of the ways to avoid that and not owe the IRS money at the end of the year that they couldn't save on 29 hours a week?

    You guys who are finding ways of justifying this abhorrent law need your butts kicked up between your ears. That seems to be the only way to knock some sense into you Obama lovers. You're so in awe of him you cannot see what he's doing to this country, one day at a time.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 1:51 PM, perryj123 wrote:

    $96 is only for those who are making minimum wage. There is a formula the IRS uses to determine your fine. I thiink it is 1% of your income for the first 3 years.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 1:51 PM, marc wrote:

    The issue is NOT the $95 penalty. The issue is the millions of Americans who are losing their present health insurance plans as of January 1, 2014, because they are not ACA compliant and are therefore illegal; I am one of those people.

    For the same coverage, my premium next year will increase $45 per month, my copay will increase $20, my deductible will increase $2,500, and a new coinsurance of 10% will take effect.

    I will pay MORE both in premiums and out of pocket expenses in order to have health insurance and to access health care. I make $30,000-$40,000 annually and I live in the Northeast, so I did not need more expensive health insurance and out of pocket expenses.

    The Marxists always said that they would use the middle class to destroy the middle class. In a Marxist, collectivist, redistributionist, and centralized society, there are only the very rich (the government and its friends) and the very poor (the former middle class, the political opponents of the government, and the former poor who never received what they were promised). The ACA is just a Marxist redistributionist scheme, which takes health care dollars from those who were already insured and redistributes it to those who were not, regardless of whom this hurts.

    Marxism never works, but it always fools people anyway. Up to 16 million Americans will lose their present health insurance, mostly lower cost plans, with some limits on certain coverage, and be forced to either buy more expensive plans or to go without insurance and pay the $95 fine or 1% one's income, whichever is greater. Whether these people can afford to lose their coverage and buy more expensive coverage is immaterial to the Marxist redistributionist.

    The President promised that we would not lose our present plans if we liked them; he lied. His supporters, being Marxist ideologues, are infuriated when confronted with this fact. They are enraged when people tell the truth about losing their insurance. Just as all Marxists in history, they cannot stand to hear that their utopian ideas do not work, so they intimidate, censor, and demonize those who tell the truth about their failings.

    There are Democrats, independents, and Republicans losing their affordable health insurance plans. 1,200 waivers have been granted to labor unions so that they will not lose their affordable plans and have to buy more expensive ones. Even Congress and the Executive branch have demanded first exclusion from the ACA, and now inclusion with a 75% subsidy, so that their premiums will not increase. The average American will not receive anything close to a 75% subsidy.

    Members of the Executive and Legislative branches of the federal government admitted that the ACA would increase their health insurance and health care costs, so they gave themselves a greater subsidy than the average American in order to avoid those increases; THAT is the problem. The creators and administrators of the ACA do not want to pay the increased costs that the ACA imposes.

    For those who had affordable health insurance plans, the ACA increases their costs; it does not decrease them as predicted. The Marxists always said that they would use the middle class to destroy the middle class; the ACA is one step in that process. The Marxists will be the rich, the rest of Americans will live in varying degrees of poverty. The poor are easily controlled by the government, because they come to rely on the government for their very survival.

    The ACA was created to impoverish the average American, to make him or her more dependent upon the federal government, and to make him or her more easily controlled by that government. If the IRS was used to persecute political enemies, why could not the ACA eventually be used to do the same?

    The goal is to eventually have single payer health insurance, a government monopoly on health insurance, as exists in Canada (not the two tier system in Europe). When the government has a monopoly on health insurance and therefore controls the care that people receive (all care must receive "approval" from the single payer if the provider wants to be paid), then it will have the power to deny treatment to anyone that it wants to, whether by departmental guidelines or by individual choice by partisan bureaucrats that have access to peoples' voting, campaign donation, and internet records.

    Not possible? That is what was said before every modern dictator took power: Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Ho Chi Minh, Pol Pot, the Castros, and Chavez. No one ever knew how oppressive these men would be, until after they took power and it was too late. If the government has a single payer health insurance system and the power to grant health care, then it has the power to deny it.

    Government control of health insurance means that the government controls health care, and if it controls health care, then it controls the lives of all its citizens. The ACA is not about insuring the uninsured; it is about Marxist redistribution of resources and control of the population; THOSE are the real problems with the ACA, not the $95 penalty.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 1:56 PM, cc83 wrote:

    auto insurance is not mandatory you dont have to own a car!

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 1:56 PM, perryj123 wrote:

    Paying the fine is still cheaper because even when you can pay the premium, you won't be able to pay for the co-pay and deductible. $5,600 individual or $12,700 per family. Do the poor middle class have $12,700 a year to pay for the deductible??? I doubt it!!! If they couldn't, then who will pick up the bills? Everyone, of course.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 2:00 PM, perryj123 wrote:

    I thought Obamacare is FREE for all without co-pay and deductible. It's like putting everyone on medicaid. I found out last week that I cannot keep my current plan which I had for the last 3 years. Now, I must buy the more expensive plan that have coverages I don't need. This is totally communist.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 2:09 PM, perryj123 wrote:

    $288 or 1% of your income, which ever is greater for most middle class

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 2:11 PM, peckbill wrote:

    We need to begin putting out reliable and correct information on the federal medical care act. First, the name of the program is not ObamaCare; Obamacare is a political name given the program so the GOP and Democrats could remember what they were arguing about. President Obama should have nipped this in the butt right away, but something with his name on it got the best of him. The correct name is “The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act”, best known as the “ACA”. People do no not like nicknames for important programs and the less educated people do not understand the term. Second, there is no specific exemption for Muslims in the ACA; there are some allowable waivers for some church groups but each must be approved individually. Third, I support the ACA as it affords those without medical insurance the opportunity to seek and get much needed medical care. You folks that are rich and buy any medical insurance program you want, those of you with free medical insurance and those of you who are provided medical insurance through your employment help get medical care to everyone that need care. It is not Socialism; it is the American way. Fourth, the data input problems are usual problems associated with new computer monitored programs. Remember garbage in garbage out; you only get the quality you pay for or relative to the overall management of the program. In conclusion, let’s get behind the program and help Americans that need medical help. We will catch some of the crooks; some will figure to make big profits, i.e., politicians, hospitals, doctors, insurance companies and groups (like AIG whom we, the people, had to bail out because of bad investments), just everyday people who are looking to beat the system and make a little money and let us not forget the scam artists; but nothing is ever perfect. Individual cost for the medical coverage is the most misunderstood item at this time, but things will change as this factor is sorted and applied properly. You should not listen to rumors or assumptions about what an ACA plan will cost you; you need to go to the ACA site and compare costs with what you currently pay. There is a lot of negative advertisement out on the ACA cost for individuals and families; get the facts; go to the experts and get the truth. There still appears to be some unknown cost factors associated with age and current health insurance coverage. A delay of maybe three months might be appropriate, but what about those who expecting health care coverage because they have none and need it to survive. The ACA will provide medical care for pre-existing conditions for thousands of Americans and it will provide medical insurance to 15 million Americans that do not have medical insurance. As a result of the ACA hundreds of clinics have opened across the United States. The GOP/Tea Party members and lovers have resorted to outright lies and twisted truths concerning ACA; do not listen to them; talk to your friends and other people and tell them the advantage and truth about the ACA. Maybe implementation of the Medicaid portion might be appropriate for those poor people or those that cannot afford the cost at this time. It is apparent that some adjustments are needed, but the ACA intent and purpose is still a sound way to take care of America. The ACA cost may be less than you expected. Remember the GOP is still trying to take funds away from the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the GOP is really pushing negative ads and incomplete information with the intent of bringing the ACA down; a lot of the GOP rationale is that Obama is black and the racists in the GOP resents will do anything to discredit Obama. They use the “N: word behind his back and among themselves because they fear reprisals for the racists and bigots they really are. God help the GOP if and when a woman starts kicking their asses in 2016 to get things done; they will literally cry for their Mothers to help.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 3:45 PM, amx05462 wrote:

    i honestly have another concern. i was listening to a talk show the other night and they reported that in most states those who have been able to sign up so far have been a large percentage signing up for the medicade option . this is ofcourse free med care if your under a certain income level. if this plan is to succede they need paying customers. also as reported those who are looking into it who have a company insurance probram where they work are finding out that not only is obama care more costly up front but because they have a company sponsored health plan they do not qualify for any tax rebate to offset the cost. this i know because my company sent all employees a letter stating this. so thatall being said . the obama care plan unless changes is domed to fail.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 4:56 PM, tymajobano wrote:

    did anyone mention the deductible amounts?

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 6:00 PM, dellt wrote:

    The left are salivating over their communist transformation from a free capitalistic system into the next USSR.....way to go you bunch of commie loving freaks!

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 6:59 PM, pyramid31314 wrote:

    $95 a month is enough for anyone who cant afford to pay it. Just because you make less than $15k doesn't mean you qualify for medicare. I was turned down because I own a car which exceeds the allowable limit. Its a 2008 dodge ram its not like its a hummer! So I am stuck with either signing for Obamacare which I haven't been able to do since 10/1 because of website problems or pay $95 a month either which way I cant afford it.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 8:03 PM, doco177 wrote:

    Fathom The Hypocrisy Of A Government That Requires Every Citizen To Prove They Are Insured....But Not Everyone Must Prove They Are A Citizen.

    And Now, Any Of Those Who Refuse, Or Are Unable To Prove They Are Citizens Will Receive FREE Insurance Paid For By Those Who Are Forced To Buy Insurance Because They Are Citizens.

    Google "Obamacare Flowchart" at Intellectual Takeout to see a visualization of the convoluted, corrupt mess this thing really is

    Congress,Muslims, Amish, Native Americans are exempt from mandate and penalties under Obamacare that the rest of us have to pay.

    The govt becoming more involved in health care is the reason the costs have increased. So Govt creates a crisis, then provides a solution that comes at the expense of liberty and freedom, costs trillions, and by most accounts won't solve the problem but in fact make it far worse.Corruption, incompetence, disregard of the Constitution, and lying are integral to the way that this country is being run.

    Three years ago, Obama, Democrats, and his media lied to us about cutting the cost of health care, being able to keep our insurance, and not taxing the middle class. Today, those lies and what ObamaCare is and will do to the working and middle class are the biggest untold story in America.

    REFUSE and Repeal Obamacare...If only a mere 20% of the over 300 million population of the USA boycott Obamacare the government would be overwhelmed to even think they could penalize or mandate every citizen that refused to participate in the most corrupt and unlawful ways which it was passed that circumvented the constitution of the United States

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 8:26 PM, bs12dot34dot wrote:

    When the government first started the federal income tax it was only 1%. Look at it now.

    Once the government gets people to allow this kind of violation of rights, then the will keep increasing it until it goes to 25% of your income.

    Government to American citizens: You must now pay a tax to be alive. Failure to pay will label you a criminal and we can punish you as we see fit.

    We are monitoring your communications and anything you say will be used against you.

    Welcome to the new America - home of the cowards and land of the slaves.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 8:35 PM, SLTom992 wrote:

    ANKirkley - I think that you have a serious problem understanding what the tax from ACA is. The IRS DOES have the ability to access a fine directly against your income. And it also has the ability to fine you if your withholding is not at least equal to your tax due. This is why MOST people always withhold more than necessary to assure that they are not taxed AND fined.

    Since ACA is a tax due they can not only force you to pay that tax but they can also fine you for not paying it in the first place.

  • Report this Comment On October 26, 2013, at 8:38 PM, SLTom992 wrote:

    And the Department of Health intends to monitor EVERYONE'S twitter account. They will look for signs of depression and if they deem you to be depressed with force you to get treatment.

    The kind of government that Liberals have always dreamed of. Total government that forces the strong to support the weak by making every single one of you the weak.

  • Report this Comment On October 27, 2013, at 8:07 AM, benjonson wrote:

    Does this author have no common sense? How could Motley Fool allow such a stupid thesis to be published? Anyway, the penalty is greater than $95.00, and at least the author of this ridiculous piece knows that. The Motley Fool has hit a new low.

  • Report this Comment On October 31, 2013, at 12:17 PM, AuntJanie wrote:

    If you make $10 an hour, $95 is a lot of money!! And it is just plain wrong! But people voted for the great "O" so they deserve him I guess!

  • Report this Comment On December 23, 2013, at 7:50 AM, sineater2009 wrote:

    I am sure Black Satan will add even more to the penalty!!

Add your comment.

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2700156, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 10/21/2014 4:16:31 PM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...


Advertisement