What Can Westport's Earnings Tell us About Clean Energy Fuels?

Westport Innovations (NASDAQ: WPRT  ) and Clean Energy Fuels  (NASDAQ: CLNE  )  are often talked about together. And while Westport Innovations is certainly relying on Clean Energy Fuels' "America's Natural Gas Highway" to make the shift from diesel to natural gas a viable choice for truckers, its diverse global opportunity means that it's less reliant on Clean Energy than Clean Energy is on Westport. 

And with Westport's earnings just having come out last week, there are a few hints that can help us see how things are playing out for Clean Energy, a little bit before its earnings come out this week. Let's take a look.

It actually goes back to Cummins
Cummins 
(NYSE: CMI  ) reported on October 28, and the overall reception wasn't positive, as the company cut its outlook. And while investors in Cummins should keep an eye on this, it's critical for those of us who are looking to Cummins' results for data about the natural gas truck market to dig in a little deeper, because its natural gas engine business -- specifically the Cummins-Westport (CWI) joint venture -- is actually performing well. CEO Thomas Linebarger, from the earnings call: 

"So we rolled out the full line in August with the higher ratings and in fact the acceptance has been good where again we're now engineered in with all the OEs in North America, in fact our sales are running a bit higher than our internal projections."

It's important to remember that Cummins is a very diversified engine maker, and while important, the North American heavy-duty truck market is just one part of its business. And while the company's outlook for the near term isn't great, this one segment is performing well. 

Westport confirms, adds color on Volvo
CWI's results for the quarter were strong, with total units sold up 52%, and revenue up an even stronger 70%. And this number -- revenue growing faster than units -- points squarely at the new 400hp engine, which is both the most expensive in the joint venture and the key engine for truckers, as being the source of growth. Additionally, we learned that the new engine that Westport is working with Volvo on won't be available until "late 2014," Per CEO David Demers on the Westport earnings call. 

But for Westport it is looking like China is a more significant opportunity. Its joint venture with Weichai Power is both larger ($373 million rev. YTD versus $200 million) and growing faster (126% YTD versus 29%.) And while margins are much slimmer at the Chinese JV, the scale alone could turn this venture into the bigger profit opportunity. Hence Westport being less reliant on Clean Energy's ANGH for success.

The other Westport announcement: How 900 becomes 37 million
Maybe the most positive news from Westport on earnings day, at least for Clean Energy investors, was the announcement that Universal LNG ordered 900 of the company's iCE PACK LNG tanks, which are pretty much guaranteed to feed CWI 12 liter engines, which means heavy-duty trucks. And with Clean Energy having by far the largest infrastructure, there's a better-than-average chance that it will get the fueling business. So how much of an impact on its business is 900 trucks?

Assuming that each truck uses an average of 15,000 gallons per year, and the retail price of the fuel is $2.80 per gallon (a 30% discount versus $4 diesel,) that's about $37 million per year in fuel sales, or roughly 10% of Clean Energy Fuels' total revenue for the past 12 months. 

Final thoughts
Westport's biggest opportunity may not be in North America in the long run, but the earnings release and iCE PACK announcement both bode well for Clean Energy Fuels, whose business is largely tied to North America for the foreseeable future. Most importantly? The information we can glean from other company's earning announcements is nice, but it's not enough to act on. Without having the full context of how these activities at its peers translate to results for Clean Energy, they can lead investors down false trails. Use them to inform your opinion, but not to make a decision. Because until we see exactly how these things really affect Clean Energy, it's just noise.

A hidden way to profit from the North American energy boom
Sometimes the best investment isn't the companies in the industry, but the ones that support it. Warren Buffett is so confident in one company's can't-live-without-it business model, he just loaded up on 8.8 million shares. An exclusive, brand-new Motley Fool report reveals the company we're calling OPEC's Worst Nightmare. Just click HERE to uncover the name of this industry-leading stock... and join Buffett in his quest for a veritable LANDSLIDE of profits!


Read/Post Comments (6) | Recommend This Article (4)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On November 04, 2013, at 4:39 PM, AZ53 wrote:

    Also noteworthy is the fact that Westport also has worked with Caterpillar for an lng locomotive which I believe is scheduled for delivery in December.

  • Report this Comment On November 05, 2013, at 10:14 AM, revjimbo wrote:

    CLNE's earnings are going to rock on Thursday. The dependency on WPRT that you speak of is more than moot, it's frankly ridiculous. WPRT is dependent on CLNE and not the other way around. CLNE will beat -.7 on Thursday, & the share price will lie comfortably in the 14.40 range as it climbs from here on out. The problem with the professional anal-yst writers is they "think too much" & miss the elephant standing in the room. CLNE is the AAPL of the new industrial energy complex. I've known this for 6 yrs. now & nothing can sway my confidence in a comfortable retirement courtesy of Boone & CLNE.

  • Report this Comment On November 05, 2013, at 1:14 PM, TMFVelvetHammer wrote:

    >>The dependency on WPRT that you speak of is more than moot, it's frankly ridiculous. WPRT is dependent on CLNE and not the other way around.<<

    revjimbo,

    I'd say that based on the fact that the majority of CLNE's business is from North American domestic refuse and bus fleets, which are *almost entirely* powered with Westport engines, the ANGH trucks being *almost entirely* powered by Westport engines, CLNE is quite dependent on Westport right now.

    But if you just look at the growth rates and revenue numbers in Westports earnings, both direct and JV sales, and you'll see that Westport is certainly less reliant on CLNE, just based on its growth in China with Weichai Westport. Toss in that Shell is also building out a lot of LNG stations for over-the-road, giving shippers multiple fueling options, and it's not, as you claim, ridiculous at all.

    I have a positive outlook of the company's future. If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't own shares. I'm just not ignoring the risks.

    -Jason Hall

  • Report this Comment On November 06, 2013, at 4:26 PM, rnewbie wrote:

    900 iCE PACK ULNG tanks + 900 x $32 K of CWI 12 liter engines amounts to cool ~> $30 M additional revenue for Wesport in next 2 years?

  • Report this Comment On November 07, 2013, at 2:17 PM, johnnysnutsack wrote:

    Motley Fools - such awful analysis that it makes my head spin. Here are ten stocks they pumped up over the last couple months - WPRT, IMMU, CLNE, WSTG, NVDA, ALLT, MRK, FSLR, ROC, and their big doozy - AMT. ZERO of these companies have experienced the same growth that basically every other stock on the markets have since July. Do the opposite. And they have amateur writers. This post probably wont see the light of the day because it speaks the truth.

  • Report this Comment On November 07, 2013, at 2:18 PM, johnnysnutsack wrote:

    @revjimbo - lol. wrong.

Add your comment.

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2711293, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 10/20/2014 5:53:03 PM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...


Advertisement