3 Reasons the PlayStation 4 Will Outsell the Xbox One

With the next generation of game consoles right around the corner, this holiday season will be very exciting for gamers. Sony (NYSE: SNE  ) is set to release the PlayStation 4 on Nov. 15, and Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT  ) will release the Xbox One on Nov. 22. Nintendo (NASDAQOTH: NTDOY  ) , which had the best-selling console last generation with the Wii, released the Wii U about a year ago.

With the Wii U doing poorly, the battle comes down to Sony and Microsoft. The PlayStation 4 has some serious advantages, and there's a good chance that Sony's console will see the most sales. Here are three reasons the PlayStation 4 will be the winner of this console generation.

1. The PS4 is more powerful.
On paper, the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One look very similar. Both run on processors and graphics chips from AMD, with the processor in each system having eight cores, and both systems have 8GB of RAM. However, it seems that the PlayStation 4 is actually quite a bit more powerful. One of the biggest games of the year, Call of Duty: Ghosts, is a launch title for both systems. The PlayStation 4 version will run at a resolution of 1080p, the same as almost all HDTVs these days, while the Xbox One version will only manage a resolution of 720p, less than half the pixels.

It turns out that the team making the game was unable to get the Xbox One to run at the higher resolution while maintaining the desired frame rate. This is troubling for the Xbox One. If the team behind a well-funded, triple-A title like Ghosts is having trouble with the console, then other cross-platform games may end up following suit. This could give the PS4 a serious edge.

To be fair, the Xbox One will upscale the lower resolution, so the visual differences may or may not be all that noticeable. The fact that the PS4 is more powerful means that games exclusive to Sony's console may outshine Xbox One exclusives, however.

2. It has more and better exclusive games.
While many popular games, like the Call of Duty series and Grand Theft Auto games, are released on both consoles, each console also has some exclusive games as well. Sony has a huge edge here, as it's acquired a roster of more than a dozen game studios pumping out PlayStation exclusives. Guerrilla Games is best known for the Killzone series, a series of solid first-person shooters. Media Molecule is behind the quirky LittleBigPlanet games, and Polyphony Digital is known for the Gran Turismo series. Naughty Dog is in a class of its own, responsible for the Uncharted series and the recent critically acclaimed The Last of Us. The three Uncharted games on the PS3 sold a total of about 17 million copies, and The Last of Us received a perfect score from gaming site IGN.

These are just a few of Sony's studios, with many more currently working on games for the PS4. Microsoft has exclusives of its own, but it can't match the depth and breadth of Sony's offerings. Sony has also put a big emphasis on indie games, making the PS4 very easy to develop for; this should mean that there are quite a few exclusives on the PlayStation Network as well. The bottom line is that Sony's roster of exclusive studios trumps Microsoft's, and both the quantity and quality of PS4 exclusives should surpass those for the Xbox One.

3. The PS4 is cheaper.
At launch, the PlayStation 4 will sell for $399 while the Xbox One will sell for $499. Sony made the mistake of pricing its previous console too high with the PS3 retailing for $599 at launch, and it's clear that the company doesn't want to make the same mistake again. The Xbox One does come with the Kinect motion controller, but forcing this on people may not be the best idea.

The price of both consoles will eventually decline, but for at least a while the PS4 will have a big advantage. New gamers will see the PS4 as a cheaper, more powerful console with better exclusives and without unnecessary peripherals.

Does Nintendo have a chance?
The Nintendo Wii sold well because it was inexpensive and was -up to the Wii that launched last year, has sold poorly thus far. The company was forced to cut the price in September; this led to more sales, but Nintendo is still losing money.

Nintendo has a roster of popular game characters like Mario and Zelda, but the console is generally aimed at a younger crowd. This may turn out to ultimately be beneficial for the company, but as of right now it's not working very well.

I doubt that the Wii U will outsell either the PS4 or the Xbox One, although it may begin to see some success at lower price points. It certainly won't be a repeat of the Wii, though.

The bottom line
Sony's PlayStation 4 has a lot of things going for it as we near the launch of the next generation of consoles. A more powerful system, better exclusives, and a lower price all point to the PS4 at least initially outselling the Xbox One. This is a marathon and not a sprint, but Sony currently seems to have everything going for it.

The battle lines have been drawn -- and you're part of the fight
As the console makers battle for consumers' bucks, there's another entertainment war being waged: a $2.2 trillion media war that pits cable companies like Cox, Comcast, and Time Warner against technology giants like Apple, Google, and Netflix. The Motley Fool's shocking video presentation explains why the only real winners are these three lesser-known power players that film your favorite shows. Click here to watch today!


Read/Post Comments (61) | Recommend This Article (12)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 8:41 AM, Jerry1m1martinez wrote:

    you really don't know much about gaming or hardware do you... first off on paper yes the ps4 is slightly more powerful,,, but from a developer standpoint they are the essentially the same machine. the only real difference will be seen only by first party exclusives because multiplatform games are developed around the lowest system first... second.microsoft has an edge when it comes to online performance... not only is xbl vastly Superior to psn and is constantly adding more servers but xbl also has azure cloud service which will free up a lot of possessing power allowing it to better focus on graphic fidelity/engine performance ect... 2nd you cant say that ps4 has the better exclusives that's pure conjecture... yes they have great exclusives no one deny s that but to say xbox doesnt is solely a matter of opinion.... plus bringing up ign's review score as your only source for the last of us is bs... it is a well known established fact that ign employees take bribes, granted the last of us is an excellent game... the whole call of duty debacle is in no way indicative of the ps4/xb1 power... the pc version should be the best looking out of them all but it is bug ridden and very crappy looking and thats not opinion. it takes at least a year for each new generation to hit its stride and truly show off what it can do.. not to mention that cod was developed on early incomplete versions of the systems and they stated they simply didn't have enough time to make it native 1080p across the board..last but not least the only true advantage that ps4 has over the xb1 is price.... after reading this article i really doubt the integrity of the author and wonder if he got paid to make ps4 look much better... and before some fool calls me a fanboy i am buying both systems

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 9:00 AM, puppybone69 wrote:

    SEGA!

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 9:04 AM, BuddhaDude wrote:

    I agree that on paper the PS4 is stronger, but so was the PS3 (although difficult to create games on) and the difference was negligible.

    Now here comes the disagreements. XBL was superior to PS3's PSN. That's a no-brainer since Sony decided to make PSN a free service unlike Microsoft, which charged a up to $60 a year for service. That's a lot of additional revenue that went toward servers. And now Sony plans on doing the same with the PS4.

    Exclusives are like night and day for the two systems. To say that Sony's console has the better variety of exclusives is not opinion or conjecture, however. Sony does not limit the playstation to just shooters. It ranges from the survival shooter The Last of Us to the bloody button-masher God of War. Compared to the xbox, which has shooter after shooter after shooter. Sure, it had it's glory moment with games like Fable but it was short lasted.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 9:28 AM, normgarry wrote:

    This is why financial sites SHOULD NOT FOLLOW THE GAMING WORLD.

    Xbox Exclusives far outself PS exclusives. The only exception was Gran Turismo on PS and PS2. Nothing on PS3 sells as well as HALO.

    They claimed PS3 was more powerful than 360. 360 has currently more units sold.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 9:30 AM, marquis wrote:

    ps4 and xbox 1 is foul for not letting the grand theft auto 5 play on their system.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 9:40 AM, ajac09 wrote:

    You know little about hardware please stop reviewing game systems. Difference between the 2 is so little it doesnt matter. 720p vs 1080p differences are almost nothing as well. Whats going to matter are the games. and honestly ps4 in my book doesnt warrant a purchase before xbox one.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 10:07 AM, sinyx wrote:

    The only reasons PS4 will out sell Xbox One are all due to public relations and bad business calls.

    The price is the best factor and that will impact many people's decisions. Sony learned from the PS3 early on and rather than play catch up this gen, they went to the drawing board and implemented all the ideas that devs and gamers complained about and came out swinging this time.

    The end result was all the features people wanted like chat and other social media, the ability to use pay services like Netflix for free while factoring in a cost for some online games with Play Station Plus, and giving the devs a system that is virtually identical to PC. Bottom line is that Sony listened and corrected their mistakes.

    Microsoft has failed with this because of the 360. Much like Sony thought with going from PS2 to PS3, that all the fans will follow regardless of how expensive or what we do Microsoft let their previous success cloud their judgement. Not taking into account that the PS4 will change the problems the PS3 had and that Sony has already started gaining ground even this gen, Microsoft just flat out said, "**** you, we'll do what we want."

    Kinect, for example, was a cool idea, but it tanked. Rather than let it die and become optional, they are making it integral to the console. Cool ideas and interesting features, but nobody wants it. Sony tried the Move, it went bust and they backed off.

    The bad business tactics that were forced on people showed that Microsoft doesn't care about the consumer or making a good product, just that they get your money. The "Red Ring of Death" is still an issue with many, and people are going into this with that in mind. Following on the heels of some sub par product receptions with Vista, Windows 8, and Windows Phones, its easy to see why people are done with Microsoft for awhile. At least till they get their act together.

    The games and power arguments are all dumb internet debates left over from a time long over. 2007 is gone, but people still don't want to move on. Nintendo, as much as I am a fan, needs to get over this weird controller, gimmicky BS and go back to the SNES thought process. Stop worrying about being unique and start competing.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 10:13 AM, CoodyB wrote:

    @normgarry

    'Xbox Exclusives far outself PS exclusives. The only exception was Gran Turismo on PS and PS2. Nothing on PS3 sells as well as HALO.'

    So what? More sales does NOT mean better quality. Sonys exclusives are leaps and bounds better than Microsofts AND Microsoft know it. Why else do you think they were scraming about investing $1B in them (Sony have invested as much and MORE since 2007 but have no need to shout about it, the games speak for themselves.

    'They claimed PS3 was more powerful than 360. 360 has currently more units sold.'

    PS3 IS more powerful, theres no CLAIM about it. Just compare PS3s exclusives to Xbox 360s. And I hate to be the one to tell you but PS3 has now sold MORE than the 360, even after the 360 being in sale a whole 14 months longer AND having an 8 million unit lead at its highest point.

    Why? Because Sony have wiped the floor with Microsoft AND Nintendo when it comes to exclusives for the last 4 years.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 10:14 AM, lordraptor1 wrote:

    sorry but who really gives a sheet? the truth of the matter is that anyone with half a brain still has E3 in their mind and how ms behaved towards their customer base 9 I know I do) and this has already cost MS sales and those that gave more serious thought would remember where ms said that the Kinect would be required and there was no way to change that or when they said there was no way to change the online connection every 24 hours, or you cant buy sell trade used games, again truth is that those who decide to go ahead and purchase an xboner may wake up one day to the pleasant surprise of ms flipping again to see the console don't work with out Kinect attached, or it is connecting online every 24 hours, or the used games you bought don't work, or even how you will find your systems hard drive filled with crap or games you were downloaded to the hard drive from the retail disk you bought and have no way to swap your hard drive.

    as such sony has clearly already won this time around.

    myself I cancelled my preorder for the ps4 and have no intention of getting either system simply because I don't care for the game linups of the consoles and im not forced into the companies policies via console.

    I instead am gonna stick with my tri-slied x58 rig which is still far superior hardware wise to any of these "next gen consoles" and I am also not forced to pay a online service fee via sony or ms to play my games online. only gamy I play or have ever played that required paying to play online was World of Warcraft, every other game I play online is free and I play trackmania, warhammer 40k, world of tanks and a few others that are really good games and don't require you to pay for playing it online.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 10:16 AM, BULLDOGG wrote:

    if you are a true gamer you will own both. both consoles have great exclusives.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 10:25 AM, CoodyB wrote:

    @DarthfaderZ

    'The exclusive titles held by Sony diminish every year'

    What when Sony has the biggest worldwide studio in gaming with more 1st party developers than ANYONE in gaming. Sonys exclusives are MILES ahead of Microsofts.

    'The Xbox one hardware has been improved spec wise since the launch information and the removal of the DRM mandate. Without the extra cloud computing, they beefed up the back end'

    They have SLIGHTLY improved the specs but the Xbox One STILL has an embargo in place preventing ANYBODY publishing ANY kinds of hands on reviews of it running. SCREAMS of FAIL.

    And this CLOUD that you Xbots are pinning all your hopes on? It will NOT allow improved graphics of games in real time. Even if it did it will introduce input lag and normal lag. Its just not possible.

    'Couple this with the fact their online gaming is consistently plagued by lag issues, and games are forced to be installed, sets up a system that ensures they will stay in second place again'

    First off, when PSN was free it ran PERFECTLY fine for me and MILLIONS of others, barring a few incidents but it was FREE. Second, yes we do have to have PS+ on PS4 but PS+ pays for itself with MULTPLE free AAA games every month across 3 consoles! Add to that the fact that PSN with Gaikai incorporated will be the FASTEST GAMING NETWPRK IN THE WORLD. Don't believe me? Look it up.

    Oh and maybe YOU should do some research? Yes Sony ARE 2nd place this gen but its Nintendo Wii in 1st place NOT the 360. PS3 has now sold MORE than the 360 even after being on sale 14 months less.

    Microsoft have NEVER sold more consoles than Sony and that wont change next gen either.

    Do you know Xbox 1 is BARELY inside Amazons top 50 best sellers of all of 2013? Guess where PS4 is? 3rd place, only behind GTAV on PS3/360.

    Your FAIL of a VCR console is BOMBING HARDER than you will EVER admit!

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 10:38 AM, LucinaStar wrote:

    @BuddhaDude Jerry1m1martinez: Your both wrong when comes to XBL. Microsoft never used the money they from their users for servers almost all of it went towards ADS, yes that's right ADS. The very thing that gamers hate on 360.

    They didn't even have dedicated servers for their own games "omg so they didn't have top of line servers all this time and I've been paying just to ADS on my 360" yes that's right you have. You're xbl servers are just as bad as PSN.

    The real culprit with PS3 speeds and connection was the connection chip inside for the ps3. It's cheap and very outdated and doesn't work well with a lot of routers.

    While the 360 wireless chip was much better. To prove this PSN is actully vastly superior in speed downloads and connection on the PSVITA than the PS3. Actually the PSVITA connection and speeds are exactly like xbl's.

    "first off on paper yes the ps4 is slightly more powerful,,, but from a developer standpoint they are the essentially the same machine. the only real difference will be seen only by first party exclusives because multiplatform games are developed around the lowest system first"

    LOL what a load of garbage this is! You apparently don't know much about gaming yourself. The ps3 was more powerful than the 360 and the 360 did get their version worked on first but not because it was weaker. It was because it was EASIER to develop for. The ps4 is more powerful and no for developers they aren't the SAME machine. Most likely they will develop games on the ps4 first.

    "second.microsoft has an edge when it comes to online performance... not only is xbl vastly Superior to psn and is constantly adding more servers but xbl also has azure cloud service which will free up a lot of possessing power allowing it to better focus on graphic fidelity/engine performance ect"

    Yet Forza 5 won't have weather effects and actually has less tracks and cars than the previous ones. If the cloud frees up SO MUCH space explain why they couldn't use up that space to add more content?

    "2nd you cant say that ps4 has the better exclusives that's pure conjecture... yes they have great exclusives no one deny s that but to say xbox doesnt is solely a matter of opinion"

    Umm ps3 right now has more and better exclusives and is continually getting more games. That's because Microsoft is focusing too much on Kinect games and very little on actually games that play with a controller. Sony has always had better games and exclusives than Microsoft that's a fact.

    Developers always develop more exclusive games for the console that sells the most units (and the ps3 on a worldwide scale has sold more units than the 360 which only sells well in the US). This is what happened with the ps2. I guarantee you that this gen will be just like the ps2 days for Sony when comes to developer support, since the ps4 will sell more units because it's cheaper, it's more powerful AND it's running with familiar PC hardware.

    "last but not least the only true advantage that ps4 has over the xb1 is price"

    Yep because games, hardware, indie support (outlast anyone) and ps plus being a great bargain all aren't big advantages.

    "after reading this article i really doubt the integrity of the author and wonder if he got paid to make ps4 look much better... and before some fool calls me a fanboy i am buying both systems"

    You don't have to get paid to make the ps4 look better since it really is just better. So because you're buying both systems that rules you out of being fanboy, hate to burst your bubble but it doesn't. You can still be very bias towards one console even with both systems.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 10:40 AM, bugmenot wrote:

    @DarthFaderZ

    Actually 720 is 2/3 of 1080 not 3/4. But in terms of resolution it is (720*1280) / (1080*1920) which makes 720p 44% of the size of 1080p.

    "And the PS4 is marginally cheaper". $500 / $400 = 125%. The author didn't try to determine which system is better, just with system would SELL better. A 25% difference is larger than most electronics clearance prices (definitely not just a marginal difference) and the console market is dictated by price advantages. This is a major reason the Wii outsold the 360 and PS3.

    So maybe you "incompetent and ignorant douche" need to finish middle school math before criticizing others.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 10:47 AM, Doughboys1991 wrote:

    This is bogus, I will have both systems but my initial purchase will be the Xbox one because of the initial exclusives, and the service is ready now. PS4 is not ready, everything is pushed to next year. As an owner of 360 and PS3 I like them both for different reasons. Graphically PS3,solo gaming PS3,

    social gaming 360, ease of use 360. I like them both for different reasons. At this point in time however, the One appears to be more of a finished product and has the better exclusives. Again AT THIS POINT IN TIME.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 10:48 AM, blazedmet wrote:

    Did the author read the recent revelation that the xbox 360 (and probably xbox one) version of Call of Duty: Ghosts reportedly has no issues in maintaining a steady 60 frames per second in game while the ps3 and ps4 versions has had numerous issues with frames per second wild fluctuations?

    Did the author realized that the upscaled graphics will not be noticeable by majority of the public?

    Did the author realize that these are initial game offerings that do not guarantee graphical advantages as was claimed in the xbox 360 vs ps3 as the development teams get a better understanding to program for specific set of hardware?

    Did the author state that the included kinect costs more than the 100 difference? Did the author state that the inclusion of the kinect unit was to promote development by the software companies (in reference to developmental failures of the xbox 360 kinect)?

    Initial offerings are not indicative of the software development in the future. Indie games will be big in PS4, but the overall quality of the games will not be that different.

    Did the author state the functionality that and the future illumiRoom projection systems will bring to the home entertainment system that is xbox one?

    Did the author state that Microsoft invested in over 10x number of servers for the new xbox one live? That's right.

    PS4 fanboi author needs to stop manipulating to get his point across.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 10:51 AM, ZanoHTTR wrote:

    Oh, so much misinformation in these comments...

    @Jerry1m1Martinez - Faulty logic abounds.

    1. How are they essentially the same machine when the majority of multi-plats have already stated that Xbox One is running on a lower resolution than PS4? Clearly, either the PS4 is more powerful or easier to code for since they were able to maximize performance for it easier. http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/05/call-of-duty-ghosts-mark-rubin...

    Using the PC version of COD as part of your argument is laughable. PC support of COD is non-existent and the sales for PC COD are minimal, which is why. COD is nowhere near the only one having these issues per above linked article.

    2. I agree that exclusives is a matter of opinion rather than fact because it depends upon which game(s) you like more.

    3. Current XBOX Live vs. PSN is a moot argument. Microsoft won this generation because they charged for their online service, as Sony will now be doing. How this will pan out on next gen is yet to be seen.

    @normgarry - there are a LOT of other reasons for this in current gen. Nobody is arguing that. Current gen was Sony's to lose after Microsoft's failures on the original Xbox, and Sony did a great job of mucking it up. They've resolved those issues for PS4 and all indications at this point are that up to this point PS4 is outpacing Xbox One for pre-sales. Xbox One made up some ground in October, but it looks like this was more due to PS4 being sold out everywhere whereas Xbox One pre-orders could still be put in in a lot of stores.

    http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251359/ps4-vs-xbox-one-us-pr...

    @DarthFaderZ - you should check your info before you call someone incompetent.

    1080p vs 720p is in fact over 2x.

    1080p = 1920x1080, or 2,073,600 pixels

    720p = 1280x720, or 921,600 pixels.

    2,073,600 / 921,600 = 2.25x the number of pixels.

    Who's incompetent again?

    PS4 = $399

    PS4 camera = $59.99 (http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Camera/dp/B00BGAA3S2)

    399 + 59.99 = 458.99

    Xbox One with camera = $499

    Same price indeed... simple math is hard.

    With regards to Xbox LIVE vs PSN, nobody is arguing that PSN was not as good as Xbox LIVE, but it was also free. PSN will no longer be free in future gen, so this is up in the air and comparing current gen online systems is an invalid argument - you're comparing apples to oranges. Yeah, they're both online services (fruits) but one is red (pay for service) and the other is orange (free).

    All of this doesn't even begin to touch on the missteps that Microsoft has taken in decision making that eerily mirror what Sony did with the PS3 that put them behind the game, but others have touched on that so I won't regurgitate.

    All of this is coming from someone that owned a PS1 and PS2 but switched to Xbox 360 in current gen and never bought a PS3 due to the poor decisions Sony made. What has transpired with future gen has brought me back onto the Sony side of things with the PS4.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 11:37 AM, FourChan wrote:

    First off, both systems have their strengths and weaknesses. Putting up a game that is multiplatform is hardly an argument for both systems. You can buy COD Ghosts on Xbox 360 and PS3 now. Next to that without having a 4K $3000 TV set you aren't going to notice that much of a difference between consoles. Secondly the Launch games of both consoles suck, PS4s being the worst with one good title and its exclusives are lacking as well. Xbox One has pretty good exclusives coming out without a lot of the rehashed games that PS4 is going to have. The PS4 may have a lot of exclusives but remember, quantity =/= quality. With games like Halo 5, and Titan Fall coming out, that doesn't leave much room for PS4. Plus this article is idiotic anyways, both consoles are SOLD out in retail stores everywhere. So whoever wrote this article is ignorant towards gaming all total.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 11:52 AM, Dante8488 wrote:

    What I find really funny is that most of the people crying and saying that the xbox one will be better are probably the same people who said they would not get one. Its so funny how right after E3 everyone cried and said OMG never getting the xbone......and then they change a couple things that should of been changed from the start and everyone is like OMG xbox for life!!!!!!! derppppppppp.....I will not lie I enjoy the ps way more than the xbox but it is pretty obvious which company is listening to the audience. Sony had this race won from day 1.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 12:35 PM, captAhab02 wrote:

    If u are a True gamer u get Either Xbox or ps4 and Wii U

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 1:08 PM, ShadowOfTheVoid wrote:

    The PS4 will outsell the XBO, but the author is wrong about at least one of his points: system specs. How powerful a system is has never been something that determines its commercial success. The Master System was more powerful than the NES yet the latter dominated the 8-bit era. The Neo Geo was more powerful than any 16-bit system but priced itself out of contention (as for the SNES vs. the Genesis, the former had better graphics abilities and more RAM, but the latter had a processor that was twice as fast, so which of the two was more powerful can be easily settled). The N64 was more powerful than the PS1, but Nintendo's decision to stick with cartridges lost them a lot of third-party support, and most gamers went with the PS1. The Xbox was the most powerful sixth-gen system but placed a distant second against the PS2, which was the weakest system of its generation. Finally, the PS3 was the most powerful console of this generation, yet the vastly less powerful Wii ended up being the clear sales leader. That the PS4 is likely going to be the sales leader in the coming generation has nothing to do with it being the most powerful system, and in fact it will be the first time the most powerful system "won."

    The PS4 will win for more prosaic reasons: price, games, release timing, and regional brand strength. Europe is "Sony Land" and Japan has rejected the Xbox brand entirely, so the PS4 will in all likelihood sweep both regions. That leaves North America as the only region the XBO has a chance of winning. However, the 360 did as well as it did because it released a year ahead of the PS3, cost less, had more games early in its life, and had a better online service. It was able to take the lead in the U.S., and the PS3 would never catch up.

    However, the PS4 costs less than the XBO, is releasing in the same month of the same year, and has just as good of a selection of games and an online service just as robust as what MS offers. Without any of the advantages its predecessor has, I doubt the XBO will be able to win even on its home turf. It'll be a lot closer here, and if and when it reaches price parity with the PS4 the two will probably be evenly matched, but Americans are very mercenary about their brand preferences, and there isn't any reason we should expect Xbox to once again beat PlayStation. Unless the XBO can somehow outsell the PS4 by a 2:1 margin in North America, it has no chance of winning the eighth generation. I'm thinking the most likely end result is that global sales favor the PS4 three-to-two.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 1:30 PM, bendriver wrote:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcIlafEHAcU

    Here you go...it explains why the ps4 is better

    1.faster and more bandwidth on the gddr5 ram

    2. ps4 runs 18 compute units vs xboxs 12

    3. ps4 has 1.84 teraflops vs xboxs 1.23 teraflops

    4. ps4 has less overhead on its OS compared to xbox

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 1:45 PM, Darkvoltinx wrote:

    clicked this thinking it was going to be a bias post and i was right. WHO THE HELL CARES WHAT PEOPLE PLAY! let people enjoy what they want

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 2:15 PM, Elias86 wrote:

    Well both are great machines! On paper the PS4 is slightly more powerful than the Xbox One.... PS3 was slightly more powerful than the Xbox 360 and the Xbox has crushed PS3 for the last 7 years. It seems that Yahoo media is hoping that Sony will crush Microsoft this time but I am going were the money is.....Microsoft. I'm positive that the Xbox one will have better support, better games, and a superior online experience (Xbox Live).

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 2:28 PM, kinghart01 wrote:

    What a moron the author is. Better exclusives? Are you kidding me? The fact that Titanfall is an X1/Microsoft PC exclusive should tell you that already, X1 has a foot up. Throw in games like Halo, Forza (which is absolutely better than GT), Project Spark, and Dead Rising, how the hell can you even say something like that?

    As for power, the 360 isn't as powerful as the PS3, yet out of the EXCLUSIVE games I have played on both (Resistance, Gears, Halo, Uncharted, GoW, ect) the 360 had the prettier looking games. Not to say the PS3 games weren't gorgeous either, but power doesn't mean much.

    Get out of Sony's pocket.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 2:44 PM, daleclone wrote:

    Why do any of you f@ck care. You all are fanboys of your favorite system. Both systems will survive and you all can keep hating each other like rival football teams. In the end if you don’t work for Sony or Microsoft why should you care? Nobody is taking money out of your pocket… Honestly I will buy both systems after they have been out for at least a year, because of the defective rate in both system is high historically. Blah blah blah. Nana nana boo boo…..

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 3:14 PM, Bill49601 wrote:

    First of all they ran an article last week saying how the XBO was going to outsell the PS4. Now its the complete opposite. The reason PS4 WILL outsell the XBO is very simply.....Microsoft has a very BAD reputation with their consoles. The 360 had a 62% fail rate. One poster on here said the 360's outsold the PS3....that's because people had to keep replacing their junk consoles because Microsoft had a useless warranty on a sub standard product. The new systems are both promising, but Microsoft did come out of the gate trying to screw their consumers by making the XBO not play used games without paying a fee, having to be connected 24/7, and not being able to swap games with friends because of the product key on the games were console specific. I repair game systems for a living and can tell you, Microsoft has a long way to go to repair their image with gamers who were screwed by the 360 fiasco.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 3:44 PM, cbrown1344 wrote:

    You also have to take into account the fact that XBOX users will not want to switch to PS because they are familiar with everything about the XBOX, the controls, the look etc. I have owned both ps3 and 360, even the little things like how the controller felt in my hands made the 360 a better system IMO.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 4:16 PM, captAhab02 wrote:

    Its not only about fanboys but Microsoft will shamelessly introduce stuff like having to pay for multiplayer and others will adopt it. They always have evil ideas. Its better for the sake of gamers if people avoid Microsoft.

    And yes Microsoft is always taking money out of your pocket.

    In the last terms of use Microsoft forced their customers to allow Microsoft to give your full information to other companies. Dont you think that Information is worth money?

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 4:18 PM, captAhab02 wrote:

    Ofc Microsoft is taking money out of everyones pocket. Just check their terms of use.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 4:23 PM, joeku wrote:

    idiotic articles like this is the reason why I don't visit fool.com anymore. you have no idea what you're talking about.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 4:45 PM, spinod wrote:

    Microsoft doesn't even want the Xbox anymore, why would anyone buy it?

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 5:45 PM, Stealth2k wrote:

    Idiot article.

    Power never determines sales

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 5:54 PM, scalan15 wrote:

    Sounds like a total Sony fanboy wrote this article. how in the hell do you think that the playstation has better exclusive games? Are you high? At launch the xbox has 13 exclusives to sony's 4. 2 names win this argument. Titanfall and Halo. enough said

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 6:28 PM, Elias86 wrote:

    Like I said, Yahoo and this article is so biased towards the new Sony console. I have no doubt that Microsoft will come out on top. I know Microsoft may seem to nickel and dime a lot of consumers but that money is put towards online performance, games, and support. Sony's online experience is no where near Xbox live. Support, games, and Xbox Live is what makes Microsoft come out on top of Sony. Really you get what you pay for. IMO I will go where the money is....Microsoft.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 7:19 PM, Cyberwolfman wrote:

    Reason 4: Trust. Microsoft burned the trust bridge at the original announcement of all the restrictions the XBox One was to have. Sure they made some of that up when most of those poor decisions were reversed but trust is hard to regain.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 7:35 PM, whowhowhoyou wrote:

    First off, buying the PS4.

    To counter,

    1.) Activision has already stated that the reason for the lower resolution is the fact that they didn't have as much hands on time with the physical Xbox One as they did the PS4.

    2.) Exclusives are personal taste. Some like Uncharted, some like Halo. I like pepperoni pizza, others like mushrooms on theirs.

    3.) Xbox comes with Kinect. Add the equivalent motion sensing device to the PS4 and the price evens out. Also, people tend to forget how much the PS3 first cost compared to the 360.

    Flip all these comments of yours, and you have he launch for the Xbox360 and PS3. The 360 smashed the PS3 in launch sales. PS3 survived though and thrived, didn't it? Only one major console has flopped, the Sega Dreamcast, and that was because Sega couldn't manage their company's money. The console was just a victim like the rest of the company's products.

    I'll predict PS4 will do better at launch because of an earlier launch date and articles like this. Xbox One will do fine at launch, and will eventually thrive.

    Most Sony supporters forget this is what happened to the current gen, just flipped now.

    Wait until Spring 2014 to judge. Too many launch titles for both are just ports from the PS3/360 versions.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 7:36 PM, whowhowhoyou wrote:

    Also, a lot of those "restrictions" people mention the XboxOne first had are praising the new Steam console for implementing all of those same things.

    Also, turns out both consoles will require you to connect to the internet just to use the console.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 8:44 PM, Bunnyking77 wrote:

    Americans are too stupid to buy a good product.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 9:03 PM, DjOuch wrote:

    THIS PHAKING WEBSITE IS BIASED ...HOW MUCH DOES SONY PAYS YOU PHAKING IDIOT

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 9:12 PM, cheaterfan2009 wrote:

    I think both consoles will do well.I feel that it be a dead heat.That will only be good for the gamers at large.The compatision will keep both companies working hard to maintain their following.When one runs away with the race they tend to slack of their game and they loose the drive to preform at peak levels.

    Look at the original Xbox against the PS2,The PS2 was the clear winner.Microsoft learned from that , that had to step up their game.Sony on the otherhand thought that they were so dominant in the field that they put out the PS3 at an outrageous price.Microsoft built a AAA gaming console and grew XBLA .Xbox 360 was the clear winner.Hell the PS2 was out selling the PS3 up until last year I personaly thought that Sony should have just built onto the PS2,that console was never brought to it's true peak.

    So now with both companies having been through this a few times ,I am looking forward to a long distance close race.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 10:09 PM, WOW wrote:

    ok I went from ps to xbox. I had a ps3 and changed over to 360. are you guys serious with this. First off the past gen, wii won hands down. sad I know but it was a blast. ps4 is more powerful but both are very close. the new ceo of mircosoft (whoever that is) will sell xbox. that will be the dumbest thing they do since that is what keeping them a float. Now @scalan15 halo doesn't come out for a while. I think next spring if not earlier like feb. both have 22games coming out at the same time both with the same amount of exclusives. I agree with whoever said it earlier. just get what you want and play it. im going back to ps4 because of my friends will be on there. Also the math doesn't equal up if you add the camera. its like 40 dollars cheaper. then add 60 bucks for your xbl and 50 to for psn and wow now its 50 dollars cheaper. so do the math before you talk. oh yea don't forget taxes since it cost more, your going to have more taxes. haha

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 10:45 PM, ovan01 wrote:

    First thought that entered my head as I read the articles title.. "OH NO THE FANBOYS ARE GONNA GO BAT NUTS CRAZY.. again.." well regardless I do agree with the author, currently the ps4 has an edge over "the one", but as he said, it is a marathon so who knows what's gonna happen 4 months after the release. As sad as I am that Dead Rising 3 in an xbox one exclusive T_T I'm looking forward to where the ps4 tech will lead the gamers of tomorrow... so yeah I'm getting a PS4!! :)

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 11:18 PM, jlenoconel wrote:

    Hopefully it will go PS4 > Wii U > Xbox One this generation. Microsoft deserve this lose this generation. Xbox One sucks. Every commercial on TV is advertising it more as a TV box. The PS4 is the real gamers choice, with the Wii U coming in 2nd.

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 11:19 PM, Jdzspace wrote:

    Wow.....I have been a gamer all my life. But so many of them are so full of crap it's ridiculous, have gamers as a whole lost all ability to be objective at all? I mean seriously?

    sure the power of the system historically hasn't meant a thing when it comes to sales (remember the 3DO, CDi and Jaguar?).

    but i see so much of the "xbox exclusives suck" countered with the "how can you say that box exclusives are clearly better".

    it's ridiculous, quality of games is subjective to the extreme. If you are a casual gamer and like shooters you'll go microsoft, you won't care about the strength or the exclusives.

    the online services can't be debated, PS4's service has yet to be determined. you can't compare PSN that is free to what the PS4 will run as a paid service. it's not apples to apples, and it's stupid to think that the PSN free will be exactly like PSN paid. that's just intellectually dishonest.

    what we can see CLEARLY is numbers when it comes to exclusives. Playstation has 45 exclusive titles coming out over the next 6 months ranging from platformers to shooters to RPGs to action adventure games, and a few niche titles (i.e. Knack).

    Mircrosoft really doesn't have much in the way of NEW exclusives. It has call of duty with mechs, and it has dead rising 4 and ryse, which nobody cares about on either end. they have nothing like what sony has in terms of exclusives in terms of variety of genres or just raw quantity.

    there is no debating that Sony wins the exclusive battle. because if your not a shooter fan than odds are your going to get the system that has great games in other genres, and that unquestionably Sony. It's not even a debate, you can look at games like God of War, Uncharted, the Last of Us, and niche titles like Beyond two souls and games like that.

    but at the end of the day Microsoft's PR nightmare will ultimately be the reason that Sony will sell more, all the other factors will just make the margin bigger than it would be if all things were equal. at the end of the day that will be the biggest reason though

  • Report this Comment On November 10, 2013, at 11:56 PM, philthymcnasty wrote:

    I do not know whats wrong with the Fool lately.

    Here is my take on the next generation:

    They ALL will sell poorly at first. The economy is bad right now, so fewer people have the disposable income to spend on new consoles.

    Then there is the declining cost of PCs, and the availability of cheap pc games. With services like steam and GOG selling games dirt cheap,

    So it all comes down to how the public likes the upcoming game releases. Considering that there are a lot of complaints about the AAA publishers, i do not think this next generation will be as spectacular as the previous ones, unless the industry changes its ways, within the next 2 years.

  • Report this Comment On November 11, 2013, at 12:17 AM, Heimdallr wrote:

    Sorry folks...PC still rules the gaming world

  • Report this Comment On November 11, 2013, at 12:21 AM, Heimdallr wrote:

    @philthymcnasty

    You pretty much nailed it!

  • Report this Comment On November 11, 2013, at 12:55 AM, Jdzspace wrote:

    @philthymcnasty hasn't nailed it at all. the PS4 already has a million units pre-sold and i know that Microsoft has at least half of that. So they will sell just fine.

    PC gamers are a niche group, much like console gamers are. basically if you are a console gamer, your a console gamer. You might have a PC, but the declining cost of PCs and PC games has nothing to do with whether or not you will get a next gen console or not.

    and if your a strict PC gamer, than the next gen (or any gen) consoles have nothing to do with you either.

    some PC gamers have consoles, most console gamers have PCs.

    but no console gamer will throw away something he's invested most of his life on to throw his eggs in the PC basket. so the cost of PCs have nothing to do with anything when it comes to the console world.

    they are a tertiary group (to console gamers) at best.

  • Report this Comment On November 11, 2013, at 3:50 AM, zip98053 wrote:

    OK, we get it. The Fool hates Microsoft and everything that it does. Now, can we get someone to do an objective review?

  • Report this Comment On November 11, 2013, at 7:51 AM, StruckX wrote:

    This author is all for the ps4 over the xbox.. your opinion is completely biased... you say that the graphics for CoD ghosts cannot be handled at 1080p on the xbox... but what happened with the ps3??

    A lot of the games that were released for the ps3 and xbox 360 consoles came out in a 1080p resolution. But! some of them only came out in a 720p top end for the ps3 and still 1080p for the xbox 360....

    I am willing to bet my money that this happens a lot with the next gen consoles as well. I will be buying both systems (Again as i did with the previous ones) and trying some of the same titles for each system. Last time i did this for the xbox and ps3, the xbox was all around superior gameplay, much smoother and much more enjoyable.

    The online experience of the xbox 360 was unmatched by the ps3. You cannot tell me that 10 dollars a month was worth not getting xbox live as opposed to PSN.. PSN is currently garbage, I would NEVER play anything on PSN that i could not already play on Live. Anyway, this author should be revoked from his duties.

  • Report this Comment On November 11, 2013, at 8:15 AM, soccerguy3114 wrote:

    This article was very one sided. When comparing xbox one and PS4 I would use past systems as the guide in consumer buying. XBL has been far superior which has helped xbox 360 out sell PS3. Do you think all those users of xbox 360 who play XBL will switch to the PS4? I am willing to bet most of the XBL COD players will choose to stay with xbox since they know what the network is like. Secondly the pricing point of $100 more is not a hurdle. From a marketing point, they are offer kinect, they sold more xbox 360's than PS3, and have a superior online gaming experience. Why wouldn't you charge more for that?

  • Report this Comment On November 11, 2013, at 8:29 AM, Jdzspace wrote:

    @soccerguy- there are a couple of things you are neglecting.

    comparing the PS3 and 360 performance to gauge this next gen doesn't' work for a couple of reasons.

    1. PS3 came out a year later than the 360 and was $200 more

    2. PS3 has as of now outsold the 360 worldwide and that has been the case all year

    so you can't really use the same comparison because the variables are VERY different. and even if you try to force it, it supports this article because the PS3 HAS outsold the 360 despite coming out a year earlier and costing $200 more at the time.

    so given the facts, why would anyone think that PS4 won't sell more? without even factoring in the PR nightmare that microsoft has brought on itself?

    that just makes sense, if you want to talk intelligently, at least take the time to gather the facts and variables of the situation your citing. otherwise the argument falls flat on it's face

  • Report this Comment On November 11, 2013, at 9:42 AM, DavidH35 wrote:

    Some of these comments from some of you supposed console experts is filled with so much ignorance that its hard to know where to begin, especially you blind microsoft fanboys who are clearly in denial.

    First off like it or not the PS4 from a hardware perspective is miles better than the xbox 1, there is a reason that Call of Duty Ghost runs at only 720P with the xbox 1 and full 1080P with the PS4. A similar scenario happened with BF4 as well so for those of you saying the only difference will be the exclusives you are very very wrong as the differences are already starting to show in the multiplatform games.

    To the guy who said there is hardly a diff between 720P and 1080P you are clearly delusional, there is a huge diff between the two! 1080P resolution produces around 50% more pixels on screen than last years underwhelming 720P resolution. That equates into a whole lot more detail on screen for the PS4.

    This is not last years comparison, the PS3 while marginally stronger than xbox was very difficult to program for. This time the PS4 uses pc like architecture which is extremely easy for developers to extract all the systems power.

  • Report this Comment On November 11, 2013, at 10:18 AM, seabee1 wrote:

    I remember hearing that the xbox1 wont play used games unless you pay for it. Is this still the case? I owed both 360 and ps3 and I enjoyed both but if I have to pay an extra fee for used games then I will be getting the ps4. Maybe down the road I'll get the xboxone.

  • Report this Comment On November 11, 2013, at 12:25 PM, p1t8u11 wrote:

    First of all this article is ridiculous and is obviously written by a Sony fanboy.

    Both consoles will be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Yes i am buying an Xbox One but not due to specs or games, but because i like it i have played both and yes i will be enjoying an Xbox one.

    The Sony fanboys in this forum are moaning only due to the fact they cannot afford the Xbox and feel they have to have a valid reason as to why they are not buying it.

  • Report this Comment On November 11, 2013, at 2:36 PM, whompwhomp wrote:

    Lets not forget SONYs new and improved Terms of Service!

    6.3. You must not lease, rent, sublicense, publish, modify, adapt, or translate any portion of the Software.

    7.1. You must not resell either Disc-based Software or Software Downloads, unless expressly authorised by us and, if the publisher is another company, additionally by the publisher.

  • Report this Comment On November 11, 2013, at 2:52 PM, stangace20 wrote:

    Am I the only one who thinks that all this arguing about which console is better when NEITHER ONE IS EVEN OUT YET is a complete waste of time?

    I mean you'll of course have fanboys fighting about it from day one. But when you're getting articles on them from a site that has NOTHING to do with video games, And show that by obviously going off whatever papers a certain gaming company has given them, don't you think it's getting a little out of hand as well?

    Especially if this site is anything like FORBES.COM....who also post articles like this. Cause it's proven that with them, when they post an article about the PS4's superiority it's almost guaranteed they'll be posting a contradicting article of why the XB1 is better than the PS4 about an hour later

    So again, this whole bickering over which on is better is STUPID and pointless until both consoles come out and we can get some first hand, real world, info and not just try an argue facts on a few biased press releases or articles from uniformed (but still paid) financial site writers.

  • Report this Comment On November 11, 2013, at 3:05 PM, Keegs79 wrote:

    I have to say that there are only two major reasons why people are picking up the system. The price and Microsoft's horrible PR.

    I will say though that people saying that power of the system isn't a factor in last generation needs to realize that the PS3 didn't utilize a lot of its power because it was a difficult system to develop for. It already shown an example of fixing that by not only having again the most powerful system but an extremely easy system to develop for.

    Second thing is people here are talking about exclusives on the 360 selling better. It would make since considering that there isn't a lot of exclusives in the first place. The PS3 had plenty of them and not everyone is going to get every single title and Sony took chances by making games that are not guaranteed blockbusters with games like Puppeteer, Heavy Rain, Journey, and so on.

    To me the dashboard has come extremely important in what it has and how you navigate. Sony has is catching up with XBL. I would say the most important thing is price for the average person.

  • Report this Comment On November 11, 2013, at 3:30 PM, BHGamer wrote:

    The end of Nintendo as a viable competitor in the HOME market is coming to an end. The Wii-U can't even compete with PS3 and 360, it has zero chance against the new systems and will not have the cross platform games unless those games are also made for PS3 and 360, that's the only chance it has, so the Wii-U will have to rely on first party. It's sad for a company that I have enjoyed since 1985, but hey, when you completely alienate your consumer base that has supported you through all those years, this is what you get.

  • Report this Comment On November 11, 2013, at 4:24 PM, gurthbrooks wrote:

    damn, I clicked this link and realized it was a fool.com reference, I should know better by now but look at me, I even went as far as writing this comment...shoot me : (

  • Report this Comment On November 11, 2013, at 5:12 PM, Poorgeniu5 wrote:

    Beware! Fanboys are trolling in the comment. Research the info to confirm.

Add your comment.

DocumentId: 2715983, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 8/1/2014 12:49:48 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...


Advertisement