Watch stocks you care about
The single, easiest way to keep track of all the stocks that matter...
Your own personalized stock watchlist!
It's a 100% FREE Motley Fool service...
Kohl's (NYSE: KSS ) shares closed Thursday down more than 8% following a disappointing report for the third quarter of fiscal 2014. Comparable-store sales slipped nearly 2%, net income dropped 18% year over year, and the company lowered its earnings-per-share estimate for the year. The earnings press release was light on details, but the associated conference call had more meat.
It was a rough day for the retailer, as the report reflected a period of lighter shopper traffic. Investors are likely wondering whether Kohl's will be able to recover in the holiday quarter with fierce competition from the likes of Target (NYSE: TGT ) .
What were the three key takeaways from Kohl's third quarter?
1. New national brands announced
Kohl's has recently emphasized a focus on growing the presence of national brands appearing alongside private-label and store-exclusive brands. Its current national brands include Nike, Gloria Vanderbilt, and Carter's.
According to Kohl's conference call, national brands had higher comps than the other product types in the third quarter. These brands accounted for 47% of overall sales. So it's noteworthy that Kohl's has new projects ready to launch.
Spring 2014 will feature the launch of a new infant and young children's line that blends Kohl's existing Jumping Beans brand with Disney characters. The line will feature new style launches each season.
Fall will feature the launches of an IZOD menswear collection and a female-oriented Juicy Couture collection. The IZOD menswear collection will feature a range of sports and dress apparel that will include golf separates, suit separates, and dress shirts.
Juicy Couture and Kohl's will design store-exclusive apparel and accessories for women and girls. The line will include clothing, shoes, handbags, jewelry, and home decor.
2. Lower inventory levels
Kohl's admits to massively overstocking before last year's holiday shopping season. That excessive optimism led to painful merchandising margins and steep post-holiday markdowns.
The company has lower inventory levels on hand this year, balanced according to what's selling well. The inventory also isn't overly dependent on holiday-centric items, which must face markdowns directly after the holidays.
3. Fourth-quarter guidance
What does Kohl's forecast for the fourth quarter? Comps that are flat or down 2% and total sales down 2% to 4% -- both due to the shortened calendar in this year's quarter. Kohl's predicts diluted EPS between $1.59 and $1.74.
For the fiscal year, Kohl's lowered its 2014 EPS estimate from $4.15-$4.35 down to $4.08-$4.23.
Let time work its magic on your portfolio
Dividend stocks can make you rich. It's as simple as that. While they don't garner the notoriety of high-flying growth stocks, they're also less likely to crash and burn. And over the long term, the compounding effect of the quarterly payouts, as well as their growth, adds up faster than most investors imagine. With this in mind, our analysts sat down to identify the absolute best of the best when it comes to rock-solid dividend stocks, drawing up a list in this free report of nine that fit the bill. To discover the identities of these companies before the rest of the market catches on, you can download this valuable free report by simply clicking here now.