AMC's The Walking Dead Needs To Fix These 3 Big Mistakes

After watching the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead's fourth season, I think it's safe to say that this isn't the same show that many of us fell in love with three years ago.

Considering that AMC (NASDAQ: AMCX  ) has already gone through three showrunners in four seasons, some creative inconsistencies were inevitable. The fourth season hasn't been terrible, but it also hasn't measured up to the brilliance of the first two, which were more tightly contained stories that moved the plot along much more quickly.

Source: Amc.com

Therefore, let's take a look at three big mistakes that The Walking Dead should fix to get back on track. (Spoilers ahead if you're not up to date on your viewing.)

Mistake #1: A longer season isn't necessarily a better one

In my opinion, the show's new format of splitting a 16-episode season into two 8-episode half-seasons, which started in Season 3, is a problem.

It could work if the two half-seasons had tighter and distinct storylines, but showrunners Glen Mazzara (Season 3) and Scott Gimple (Season 4) stretched out dull storylines with filler to artificially lengthen the seasons.

In Season 3, most of these filler storylines centered around Andrea's alliance with the villainous Governor. Andrea gets stuck between her loyalty to Rick's group and her feelings for the Governor, which ultimately results in a filler episode dedicated to the Governor chasing Andrea down like a cliche B horror movie villain.

The Governor plays hide and seek with Andrea in one of the worst filler episodes of Season 3. Source: Tv.com

Misfires like that continued into Season 4. Two episodes featuring the Governor, during which the writers hinted that he could redeem himself, were particularly problematic. Along with his new story, viewers were introduced to a new supporting cast of characters who foolishly proclaimed the Governor as their new leader.

Unfortunately, all of that character development was wasted, since the Governor revealed that he hadn't changed at all during the mid-season finale, resulting in a firefight that killed off most of the newly introduced cast. So what was the point of the two Governor episodes anyway, other than an obvious attempt to stall the storyline?

Mistake #2: Not making every character count

The first two seasons of The Walking Dead worked like clockwork thanks to a limited cast and excellent character development.

We saw what Rick and Shane were like before the zombie apocalypse and the tragic toll it took on their friendship. We see how times of crisis reveals people's true natures, and even though Shane was clearly destined to be Rick's nemesis, it was easy to empathize with him and see him as a victim of circumstance.

Meet Karen, a plot device who gets killed to make Tyrese angry. Source: Popcultureplayground.

When one of the group members died, it shocked audiences because these were characters that they had identified with. Unfortunately, since the show is about the zombie apocalypse, the group had to be culled as the series progressed.

The problem is that the writers have now killed off so many members of the original group that two things have happened -- viewers are numb to characters being killed off and they simply don't care anymore, because the newer characters simply aren't that interesting or fleshed out.

Season 4 kicks off with a bunch of new characters who are obviously introduced to be killed. Characters are also introduced as plot devices rather than people, such as Tyrese's girlfriend, Karen, and Beth's boyfriend, Zach, who simply get introduced and killed off to elicit emotional responses from their more important counterparts.

Piling on new characters not only steals screen time from the core cast that made the show great in the first place, but it also fragments the storyline so much that new characters are not adequately developed before meeting their grisly ends. It's a similar mistake that CBS (NYSE: CBS  ) Showtime's Dexter notably made and one that Breaking Bad deftly avoided by making every character count.

Mistake #3: Not enough quiet moments

Yet I think one of the biggest problems with The Walking Dead is that it's lost track of what made the show memorable in the first place -- its quiet moments, such as the conversation between Rick and Morgan during Season 3's critically acclaimed 12th episode, "Clear."

During that episode, Morgan sums up the theme of the comic and the show in one breath, stating, "See, 'cause people like you, the good people, they always die. And the bad people do, too. But the weak people, the people like me... we have inherited the earth."

In the world of The Walking Dead, the one constant is death. However, Rick is the protagonist because he wants his group to retain their humanity in an inhuman world. The greatest villain in post-apocalyptic Atlanta isn't a walker -- it's the base desire within humans that changes them into living monsters after society collapses.

Don't get me wrong -- this is a zombie show after all, but with more characters simply being introduced as fodder and elevated demand for more zombies and bigger battles, I feel that we'll see less of those quiet, character-defining moments in future episodes.

It's all about the money

Despite my creative criticisms of The Walking Dead, it all comes down to the money.

AMC is notorious for its penny-pinching ways, and has had plenty of widely publicized disputes with the showrunners of The Walking Dead, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad over budget and creative issues. However, these three top shows aren't cheap to make.

AMC show

Estimated cost per episode

The Walking Dead

$2.8 million

Mad Men

$3.0 million

Breaking Bad

$3.5 million

Source: Industry websites.

The popularity of these shows was the primary reason that AMC's revenue jumped 19% year-over-year to $395 million as its profit climbed 59% to $58 million last quarter. Since these three shows are AMC's primary pillars of revenue growth, the network is clearly worried about the eventual loss of these core franchises.

To deal with the end of Breaking Bad, AMC is launching a spin-off series called Better Call Saul. To keep Mad Men around for awhile longer, it is also splitting the final season into two parts in 2014 and 2015. Finally, to keep The Walking Dead undead magic alive for as long as possible, AMC is spinning off a new series that is rumored to be a prequel to the core franchise.

However, spinning off The Walking Dead could ultimately cheapen the original franchise, as CBS' CSI: NY and CSI: Miami did to the original CSI. I also think the new spinoff could ultimately suffer from unfavorable comparisons to the original show.

A final thought

More importantly, considering the three aforementioned mistakes that haven't been resolved with the original show, I don't believe that a new show, which is scheduled to debut in 2015, will fare any better.

What do you think, fellow Fools? Do you think that The Walking Dead needs to fix these problems to become a better show, or does its current formula work?

Millions of Americans have waited on the sidelines since the market meltdown in 2008 and 2009, too scared to invest and put their money at further risk. Yet those who've stayed out of the market have missed out on huge gains and put their financial futures in jeopardy. In our brand-new special report, "Your Essential Guide to Start Investing Today," The Motley Fool's personal finance experts show you why investing is so important and what you need to do to get started. Click here to get your copy today -- it's absolutely free.

• Report this Comment On December 03, 2013, at 12:11 PM, bikefella wrote:

The writer is totally on. The killing of Hershel was a mistake. Like Dale, he became the moral center of the show. We viewers invested time and energy getting to know him and care about him. Heck, in the episode before the odd "governor episodes" he almost singlehandedly saved everyone with his tea and advice.

It was a foolish, and stupid move that the writers will come to regret. It might make the writers feel mighty to come up with a way to kill off a major character, but I think it just showed lack of creativity. The killing did not even make sense. If the governor was going to kill anyone, it would have been Michonne. But no, she had to be kept alive to kill the governor, along with Lily. Silly, silly.

• Report this Comment On December 03, 2013, at 12:22 PM, prometti wrote:

Well first the Mid-Season finale started in season 2. Second, there are many character defining moments in season 4. The episodes with the governor was important and necessary. I hope that when Carol is brought back that we also get to see what happened with her after Rick kicked her from the group. You have no clue what you are writing about so you need to do a little more homework before you write a column on something.

• Report this Comment On December 03, 2013, at 12:32 PM, norm wrote:

To me, the main problem with the show is its total lack of focus. First, there was this mystery over who was feeding the walkers at the fence line, then everyone got sick, then the Governor appeared out of nowhere, then Carol was banished for killing two of the sick, then the assault on the prison took place. The plot lines have been all over the place and are never resolved. They haven't even bothered to fully integrate the new characters, like Tyrese, into the show. As the author noted, they seem to just add people to the show to have someone to kill off. They really need to improve the writing, or I really can't see this show lasting much more than another season or two.

• Report this Comment On December 03, 2013, at 12:50 PM, jxj72 wrote:

I think as the show has progressed, I myself as a viewer have had to do what these characters have had to do--learn how to not be so emotionally invested in other people. I know that is sad and cold, but I've been put in their shoes, and I think that is the brilliance of the show. As a human being, I wanted to look at the Governor and hold out hope that maybe he had changed, because you want to believe that people are inherently good. If it weren't for the 2-3 episodes that explored his character in more depth, I would not have developed that glimmer of hope. In earlier episodes, for instance when Andrea left him locked in the room with the walkers, I was sure he was a goner, and I didn't really have the same emotional reaction as I did this time. I've never watched a show, ever, where I have yelled at the tv screen "Kill that S.O.B, Rick, kill him!!"

• Report this Comment On December 03, 2013, at 1:26 PM, TMFSunLion wrote:

@prometti -- You missed the point. I said that season 3 was the first season to have 16 episodes, split into 2 eight episode half-seasons. Season 2 had 13 episodes. My argument is that longer seasons don't necessarily make for a better show.

• Report this Comment On December 03, 2013, at 2:07 PM, JorgeCruz wrote:

We can nitpick over the details, but it is hard to argue that the quality of the show has deteriorated. I think part of the problem lies in the source material- the comics get darker and more violent and it is difficult to follow that tone. I used to love this show because the interaction of the characters was so well drawn. But the last two seasons it has resorted to tv tricks and gimmicks- all the fake deaths and disappearances of characters only to have them reappear. Also, at some point you would hope that the people left would try to come up with a plan to move forward with their lives and not just barricade themselves in a prison. It is too dangerous to try and go to an island or somewhere more isolated, yet the show regularly has characters walk or drive out in the middle of nowhere if it fits the storyline.

• Report this Comment On December 03, 2013, at 2:19 PM, JustinCase wrote:

I don't mind the mid-season hiatus. In this show's case it is well-timed to avoid conflict with holidays, the NFL playoffs and especially the Super Bowl. It also reduces the scheduling gaps to a two month period and a six month period rather than a lengthy contiguous eight month period.

I only ever read the debut graphic novel - I am just not a fan of that medium - but I understand that the show and novel are somewhat closely aligned in terms of which characters are still alive in both with the notable exception of Andrea and the TV characters without novel counterparts such as Daryl, Beth and Sasha. And therein lies the problem for me. I've watched the show since the beginning and yes I understand it is apocalyptic and threat of both walkers and evil humans is ever present, but to have removed 70% of the characters from the first season in 35 episodes over three seasons must be some sort of record. Because flesh & blood actors are more visceral to most us than are illustrated characters in a book, it seems that decision makers of TWD are on very thin ice. People tune it to see the story, sure, but they also tune in to see the characters and like it or not the actors playing the characters. In this show's case it seems that each main character that has met his or her fate has been surprisingly emotional about it be it Sarah Wayne Callies or Laurie Holden or Scott Wilson.

Not sure what the solution is, but I can certainly imagine a world where this show doesn't exist in another couple of seasons if they continue trying to shock the audience with main character deaths particularly when they haven't properly developed the replacement characters before they too get eliminated.

• Report this Comment On December 03, 2013, at 3:16 PM, RebelRod wrote:

Sorry. Everyone deserves an opinion. Even me.

I loved the mid-season finale. I loved how it left the core characters splintering, all going in different directions.

Many questions, the most important one - where's Judith? What happened to Carol? Where did the bus go and who's on it? Much anticipation.

I love the guts of the show - the writers not being afraid of killing off main characters. I do agree with Scott Wilson though, when he stated, "when they called me to inform me I was being killed, I told him it would be a mistake" (I'm paraphrasing).

Herschel was the balance between both groups, the Governor and Rick's group. He helped to keep Rick from completely delving off into complete insanity, and it seemed as if, for at least a brief moment, while Herschel and The Governor were in the RV together, that The Governor even had some limited respect for him.

However, I do have faith in the writers, and I believe they have created an opportunity for themselves to expand on the current core characters; Rick, Carl, Carol, Maggie, Glenn, etc., taking us in a new direction. I have to admit, I was getting a little tired of the prison setting. It was time to move on.

• Report this Comment On December 03, 2013, at 4:16 PM, annabel wrote:

I'm confused about problem #3. I remember in season 2 on the farm, tons of people were complaining that the pace was too slow and boring and there wasn't enough action.

So, what is it? Too much? To little? I personally like some of both, but it seems like some people can't be pleased no matter what with this show.

• Report this Comment On December 03, 2013, at 5:04 PM, drew81111 wrote:

I agree with some of your points, but not all.

Are you kidding me about Season 2? Season 2 was by far the worst season of The Walking Dead. The entire visit to the farm was completely dull (until they had to leave).

Season 4 was going along great, until the two "governor episodes", which I totally agree were a waste.

However, having the comics of the The Walking Dead, it was necessary to have something to cause them to leave the prison. In the books the Woodbury v. Prison battle ends with basically where the show is now, so the issues about the flu and the governor were completely added.

I agree that killing off Herschel is a mistake..but perhaps this will force Rick into being a more responsible leader, since he no longer has Herschel's wise counsel to rely on.

I agree that more back stories would be nice, what did Tyrese do before the zombie apocolypse? How did he and Sasha survive before meeting up with Rick? What was the deal with Bob's previous 2 groups?

However, I disagree that all the plot lines need to be resolved so quickly...yes, someone was feeding the walkers, and we don't know who or why? Expect that will be revealed in the future, it's only mid-season.

Also, I believe that The Walking Dead spin-off that is mentioned is not a pre-quel, but rather an entirely different set of characters, in a different part of the country.

• Report this Comment On December 03, 2013, at 5:28 PM, Orpheus21 wrote:

I agree with one previous poster. It would have made way more sense for the Governor to kill Michonne rather than Hershal. I was watching this episode with my sister and she said the same thing. I told her well perhaps the Governor knew that Rick was more emotianlly connected to Hershall and the Gov wanted to hurt Rick more deeply but IDK. It didn't seem like great stratagy since Michonne is a bigger physical threat than the old man. I personally would have rather seen Michonne bite the dust than Hershal. I would have liked to see the Governor not die as well but I like to root for the villains.

• Report this Comment On December 03, 2013, at 7:00 PM, PegQ wrote:

I 100% agree with the writer of this article. I have been pondering my issues with TWD all season and more often than not, have walked away from most of the shows THIS season with various levels of disappointment. Obviously, there is a new show runner, bring back the original show runner, much better pace and story-telling. We watch the show for the character development and this season it is all over the place or non-existent. The 2 "governor" episodes were a waste. It is obvious to me, AMC is watching their pennies and shame on them, most popular cable TV show. If you want to masses to continue watching, invest in this show, quit cutting corners. I did not get a group vibe, this season, too many scenes with only 1-3 characters. Some of the main characters hardly had any significant air time. I used to love the show, but, am finding my zest for this show, waning. I just did not feel the cohesiveness as in past seasons.

• Report this Comment On December 03, 2013, at 8:14 PM, Gingerly wrote:

I agree with many of the points you made, Leo. My first comment after watching the mid-season finale was "they have to get a new show runner." You can only get hit repeatedly on the head with blood, guts, gore, hate, and violence, for so long. You need some humanity thrown in. I love the show, but I really love the human elements; love, caring, maybe even some, um, romance, those quiet moments. We need to see the reason that these people want to survive, and why they want to go on.

All I came away with at the end of this last episode is, why is anyone bothering to fight anymore? Time to give up, it's over. If I want to continue watching, I need to have some feeling of hope for the future of these characters. This episode was just too much doom and gloom for me!

• Report this Comment On December 03, 2013, at 8:37 PM, DocG1956 wrote:

I have just got to get my hands on the file cabinet that was causing auto rounds to bounce off...wow. Never scene so many bullet proof vehicles either. Another loss of reality for the series.

• Report this Comment On December 03, 2013, at 10:01 PM, KajaBlunder wrote:

I have mixed feelings about this article. Personally The Walking Dead is my favorite show on tv right now. The pilot was by far the best episode of the series, and possibly of any other show I have seen. I understand the frustrations with the character development of late and would like to get to know some of them more. Fans cried for more zombies so they got more.

It would have been nice to have the governor and prison storyline wrapped up in season 3. I think that they did a nice job of developing characters last season, such as Milton. They also have a way of making you cry for characters who you hated previous to their demise: Lori, Merle, and even Andrea. Loris last words to Carl and Ricks reaction were heartbreaking. A testement to the writing and the acting.

I feel that the mystery of the rats, Bob, and the voice on the radio will be revealed. Planting these seeds builds anticipation and the desire to see the next episodes. And in a chaotic world and less than an hour a week (stupid commercials) to tell a story it will take time. You didn't find out what the doctor at the CDC whispered to Rick until the end of season 2.

That's another thing, no where is safe. You get hopeful at each location, the seemingly calm atmosphere and possible answers just to have a new nemesis or disaster happen.

I don't feel too much is going on. Its a crazy world and I think it adds to the excitement of the show.

I hated seeing Hershal go and Scott Wilsons performance each week was wonderful. But its building the story and taking the remaining characters development down new roads. Hershal doesn't survive in the comics, either. I think many of the new characters (Lizzie, Bob, Tara Tyrese and Sasha) still have big things ahead. I look forward to it.

And there are plenty of "quiet" moments. Hershals speech on what you can choose, Carol and Lizzie, Rick and Carl, Maggie and Beth, Rick and Clara, 2 governor episodes, Hershals breakdown after the meds arrive, Michonne and Tyrese.. I could go on. They each are showing change in the characters which seems to be the theme this season.

• Report this Comment On December 03, 2013, at 10:02 PM, Quallow wrote:

TOTALLY DISAGREE! The mid season finally was one of the best episode yet! Loved it!

• Report this Comment On December 04, 2013, at 12:07 AM, rrt34cpr wrote:

I thought it was GENIUS the way they made you think the Governor was going to MAYBE redeem himself and then psyched everyone out by showing us how wasn't. The mid-season finale did NOT disappoint! Was an epic battle for the jail and both parties took a major hit. I was waiting for them to start moving on from the jail and now it looks like they HAVE to...Sweet! Going to be fun to see if they all meet back up somewhere since they were separated at the end....Love this show!

• Report this Comment On December 04, 2013, at 3:08 AM, janeth wrote:

I have mix feelings about this article.... In my opinion the show has wasted time with the governor ... those episodes were a waste of my time in this and last season. Andrea, Shane and Lori had to die and in my honest opinion those characters served their purpose and their lives were extended beyond their story line. It was time to let them go and koodos to the writers for killing them when they did. HOWEVER, Dale, Merryl and Hershel should have stayed alive a while longer. Dale and Merryl's death were epic but Hershel's death was senseless and it did not need to happen .... like everyone one else I believe that Michone should have been the one that should have died. I understand that the governor killed Hershel because his death was the one that penetrated everyone in more ways than one, Hershel's death will hurt and will change everyone in different ways. I think that Rick getting his butt kicked by the governor was ridiculous and it shouldn't have happened but maybe this will wake up Rick and make him be the leader he needs to be this woozie Rick needs to stop!. He needs to be strong and lead the group to victory. Carl is becoming a great man and it goes without saying that Daryl is a dream come true. Carol's lack of emotion and cold hardhearted disposition better lead to some spectacular scenes.

Well I have more to say but I think that I said my two cents in and I will leave it at that.

BTW if the Walking Dead writers read this .... let me tell you DO NOT KILL RICK, DARYL, CARL, GLENN OR MAGGIE put their lives at risk and make them sweat a little but keep them in the show ... and little azzkicker needs to live up to her name after all she is Rick's daughter or at least needs to be, she is Carl's little sister and with an uncle like Daryl ... well she has big shoes to fill ...

I will continue to be a devoted fan and look forward to many more seasons ... but if anything happens to the characters I previously mentioned I will bid you adieu

JaNeTh <3

• Report this Comment On December 04, 2013, at 5:58 AM, TMFSunLion wrote:

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

I agree that killing Hershel seemed like an illogical thing for the Governor to do when Michonne was the obvious choice. I get that they had to eventually kill him, since he already died in the comics, but a more sensible death would be for him to die during the flu outbreak in a more heroic fashion.

By themselves, the Governor episodes weren't bad -- they just didn't lead anywhere.

As for the second season, yes, there were dumb moments, like when Lori pointlessly flipped the car, but there were awesome moments too, like opening up the barn and finding Sophia inside, and Rick and Shane's final showdown.

Nothing the show has done since then has matched the intensity of those scenes.

They also need to keep developing the core characters. Daryl was a brilliant addition to the cast, since he didn't exist in the comics, and a lot of his appeal came from his development in season 2. Unfortunately, we haven't seen any more glimpses of that, and now he is just the resident badass with the crossbow.

On the plus size, I think that leaving the prison is a good thing in the long run, since being on the run like in season 1 was much more intense than staying put and planting vegetables. :)

• Report this Comment On December 04, 2013, at 9:53 AM, Charde wrote:

Yes, I pretty agree with this article. I've been a fan of the show from Day #1, but with slowly sinking expectations; and I think the best episode so far this season was the first one that focused on the Governor. It was a difficult episode to pull off because we've been taught to loathe the guy, and it was actually nuanced, textured, and believable that somehow he might come out of this.

But then he backslides. Why? "Because Evil." There was no real good explanation there, no painstaking shift to mirror what had happened before. He seemed to be doing well, and then, "Oh, ha ha, madeja look!" The whole mid-season cliffhanger was full of caricatures. it wasn't even believable that all these average folks would believe a guy who just showed up in their camp in recent times, after which all their leaders conveniently began to disappear, especially after it was pretty obvious Rick wasn't who the Governor made him out to be.

No, it seems like there are firm plot points stuck in the wall, and this last episode was just about reaching them. There is no real trust for the characters anymore, telling their own story.

Herschel's end is pretty similar. He was just another body to serve as a plot point. I agree with the thought that he should have died in the plague, saving Glenn's life and other lives; that would have made dramatic sense and done the character service. What happened at the cliffhanger was essentially false drama -- "let's kill off <so and so> so that the episode will seem really cool." And Michonne and Daryl pretty much have a free pass at the moment, because they are necessary to the plotlines AKA fighting the zombies + being fan faves and drawing viewers.

TBH, I can't read the comic. I've tried. I think it made a name for itself through the shock value and being over-the-top, but the character drama to me is very lacking; it works for some because it's a comic, but the production values of the TV show + the tone of the show needs more dramatic shaping and care over the character lines. I'd be happier if the comic creator did not contribute input to the TV show, aside from whatever material appears in the comics that can be used as building material for the show.

I also am tired of the constant "red-shirting." Some of that will happen in a show full of zombies, but at this point it's difficult to care about anyone, since they'll probably be dead in the most mundane ways after an episode or two. Again, what might pass for a particular audience in comics will not pass for a TV drama audience in a different medium.

I started blitzing through Breaking Bad on NetFlix this past weekend, and it's my current favorite show. I'm losing / lost my interest in TWD, which is disappointing because I really wanted to keep loving it.

The only positive shift now is that the setting is changing.

• Report this Comment On December 04, 2013, at 1:56 PM, TMFSunLion wrote:

@Charde -- Thanks for reading. I also enjoyed Breaking Bad more than The Walking Dead, for some of the same reasons.

I won't spoil Breaking Bad for you, but when you get to some of the big deaths later in the series, compare them to The Walking Dead's deaths. I think Breaking Bad handles them with much better.

• Report this Comment On December 04, 2013, at 3:45 PM, vegascali wrote:

You all really have no clue that this TV show follows a comic book and while it has some differences like Daryl and Andrea being dead, it still follows the basic plot line. For those of you "mad" about them killing off Hershal, so sorry, but he shouldn't have made it this long because he doesn't make it long in the comic book. Also, for those of you that are "losing interest" in the show, guess what, AMC doesn't care, cause the rest of us are still enjoying it and the ratings are still through the damn roof. If you really aren't interested in Walking Dead any more, then quit watching it and quit writing about it. Obviously all of you are still very interested in it, or you wouldn't be here writing about it and commenting on an article about it.

• Report this Comment On December 04, 2013, at 3:49 PM, Lynnm wrote:

These mistakes you speak of brought the show 12.1 million viewers in last Sunday's episode. The show can't stay with same formula over and over. It would get boring.

The beauty of the show is not knowing what will happen next or who will survive. The character of Herschel is a beloved one and people will miss him. But the show is moving on from the prison and the man is old and only has one leg. Keeping him alive hurts the credibility of the show when everyone is running for their lives. We all knew it would happen sometime.

And let's take a closer look at Season 1 and 2 that you want it to go back to. At times it was like watching a cheesy soap opera when we found out Shane was sleeping with Rick's wife and then her ultimate pregnancy. Shane and Lori being killed off the show made it better all around.

And your spill about AMC and money is wrong. AMC is rolling in the dough because of this show and it shows in the show. Special effects and makeup is better than most big budget movies.

• Report this Comment On December 04, 2013, at 3:54 PM, vegascali wrote:

And quit comparing Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead, they are two completely different types of shows. Breaking Bad was a completely new idea while Walking Dead is trying to follow a plot line that was already made back in 2003.

• Report this Comment On December 04, 2013, at 4:35 PM, HongDoo wrote:

i partialy agree. i thought the mid season finale was the best of the season, i thought the beginning of the season was slow up until they started showing the governor again, loved the last 3 episodes. the flu was a bit of a borefest. If they were just going to kill the governor off i think they should have done it last season it was kind of a waste of an investment to show two episodes then do it. killing herschel was a huge mistake as nobody has any ethics or moral center in the group. i was hoping the governor would redeem himself somewhat and be forced into a situation where he had to co-lead the group perhaps with the zombies reaching a peak and overswarming the prison. its always interesting to have deep villans that dynamics change, it would have been more interesting to see him have to work with rick and michone. for those who say that couldnt work, we've already seen it with daryl's brother who was complete scum until his final episodes. Personaly after hearing the rumor (and not seing any scene where daryl has zombie makeup yet) im hoping for time travel near the season finale. i also hope the zombies start to get fast and smarter as the show is getting a bit stale. slow zombies are very menacing unless they start swarming.

• Report this Comment On December 04, 2013, at 8:24 PM, derbyschafer wrote:

I look forward to the show every week and dvr each weeks episode and when you watch a couple of them back to back you see variety of things that lead up to the events that happen. Yes a lot of the comic readers know that this is based on that yet they have and at times have not followed the original story's from the comics. What this is really about and has still is it is about Rick and Carl more so than anyone else they are the stars and the next core is a four way tie between Daryl, Glen, Maggie and Michonne. Yet the reality in the world they live in is that like the Gov said back at the finale of season 3 "You Either Kill or die and if you die you still kill" It is a world when you basically need to be perfect because one mistake will cost you. Yet the ending the other night creates a lot of questions and that is what keeps a lot of people coming back. If it where entirely like the comics we "Comic Fans" would know everything however the twists and turns along with the changes creates new issues and new stories. A lot of the past may indeed catch up to all of the group and in that world where there really are no rules except staying alive. I hope this continues for a long time because it is fiction and a great story. I applaud them the writers and Kirkman for what they have done and what will happen. Stay tuned and see what happens I can't wait and am glad they are out of the Prison that creates a lot more plots and many questions to be answered at least temporary until the next problem occurs.

• Report this Comment On December 06, 2013, at 11:28 AM, TMFSunLion wrote:

@HongDoo -- Really? Time traveling, running zombies in the Walking Dead?!

No, zombies don't need to run. That looked pretty absurd in World War Z.

As for time travel... maybe Rick should travel back in time and keep thos silly AMC executives from firing Frank Darabont.

• Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 2:44 AM, WalkingDeadFan wrote:

I honestly didn't think of many of the problems you brought up while watching the show. I have always loved zombie movies, and when I found out about the walking dead I thought it was a cool Idea. A longer Zombie movie basically! I didn't start the show from the beginning (Watched the beginning later) but when they found the doctor and he explained how the walkers came back. I thought it was pretty cool and kept watching and instantly fell in love! Especially in season two when all the conflict with Shane and Rick came up. I thought that Lori being pregnant was a great add too. But I think the first big hit to me was when we found out about Sophia in the barn. I was so shocked and it was so sad. And then the season finale. Amazing, I was jumping off the couch freaking out!!! I was so excited for season three, which caught my attention even more. I couldn't wait for the next weeks episode, I don't remember being bored once. I got so addicted. The deaths I thought were shocking and emotional. Lori... She was my fav character and I almost cried when she got killed off. Her last words "Good bye my love" Were so choking to me. I was really bumbed when it came to an end, and had to wait for the next season. When it came on again, I was so relived to hear their voices again! I thought it was great from the beginning and havn't doubted it's excellence. True, I thought the Governors episodes weren't near as exciting, but I think it did have a point. It answered many of our questions. What happened to the governor and where is he? When will he come back? I actually found myself liking the guy for a minuet, and I knew it was wrong. I was excited for the big fight, and true, I am totally going to MISS MY MAN HERSHEL!!!! He was amazing, I love his quote where everything's a risk. When the sword came in, my jaw litterally dropped. I remember silently screaming no!!! And Maggie and Beth's reactions added to it and made me feel even sadder. I know we miss him and he was a great character, but people die. It's a zombie apocalypce. Not many main characters have died recently, so I don't get that point. But I do agree some of the smaller characters were pointless, like karen and zach. Boring. But There are still a bit of the main characters. Maggie, Glen, Rick, Carl, Carol's still alive as far as we know, now Judith, etc. And the newer characters like Tyrese are in the comics, and will probably be more explained later. I have loved the show and still do. I am interested in how they got separated, and glad there is a new setting now. I did agree on one thing. There are a lot of unsolved problems, I noticed it before. The person feeding rats, The voice on the radio (Want to see that!), whats going on with Bob, They had the flu thing, and now they are all separated. I forgot about some of the previous things until just recently. I get your opinions and why you might think that, but I still absolutely love this show. There may be a few problems, but no show is perfect. I loved this episode and thought it was great. He's the first main character to die in like forever. Since Lori. I would love to see the characters with more story though. Like about Michone, we never got to see why she reacted that way with the baby, and they said they would go into that. Fix that and I'll be more hooked than I am now. LOVE this show keep it going! :)