The PS4 Is Beating the Xbox One; Will This Continue?

With both the PS4 from Sony (NYSE: SNE  ) and the Xbox One from Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT  ) available for purchase, the next generation of console gaming has finally arrived. In a previous article I gave a few reasons why I thought the PlayStation 4 would ultimately prove victorious, with Sony besting Microsoft in the battle for the living room. While it's only been a few weeks, my initial impression is that Sony is on track to do just that.

A warm reception, and some issues
Both consoles received generally solid reviews from the big game and tech sites, and there's a nice list of critical and user reviews at engadget. The PlayStation 4 got a slightly higher average score than the Xbox One, 8.0 compared to 7.8, but it's not a big enough difference to draw any conclusions.

The PS4 launched at a price $200 lower than the PS3, as Sony has learned a lesson about keeping prices down. Reviewers noted its compact form factor, sleek design, and quietness; from a aesthetic perspective, it seems that Sony hit it out of the park. The OS on the PS4 is faster and more responsive, and the controller is a huge improvement over the PS3.

The Xbox One launched at $500, a full $100 more than the PS4, although it includes the Kinect motion capture system. The console is bigger than the PS4, with a boxy design that puts function ahead of form. The OS looks a lot like Windows 8 with tiles representing the various options, and the console can be voice controlled via the Kinect.

New consoles typically come with some technical issues, and the PS4 and Xbox One are no exceptions. Some PS4's had a damaged HDMI port, preventing the console from outputting an image to the screen. Heavy traffic during the the North American and European launches of the system caused the PlayStation network to go down, something that was especially frustrating because a downloaded patch was required to be able to use many of the features.

The Xbox One launch had issues as well. Faulty Blu-ray drives were reported by some users, making playing games impossible. To Microsoft's credit, the company is sending out replacement consoles immediately instead of waiting to receive the broken one. It seems that neither console had any widespread problems, with the major issues limited to a small number of customers. On Amazon, 22% of PS4 reviews were one-star, mostly due to hardware issues. The Xbox One had almost exactly the same percentage of one-star reviews, suggesting that neither console outdid the other in terms of technical problems.

Selling like hotcakes
Of course, the real measure of success is sales, and both the PS4 and Xbox One came out swinging. The PlayStation 4 launched one week earlier than the Xbox One, and Sony reported that it had sold one million consoles in the first 24 hours. When the Xbox One launched a week later, Microsoft also reported one million sales in the first day. The comparison isn't quite fair, however, because Microsoft's console launched in thirteen countries on day one while the PS4 only launched in two, the U.S. and Canada.

Sony later revealed that it had sold 2.1 million consoles through Dec. 1, two days after the separate European and Australian launches (with the number including 700,000 consoles from those two regions.) Microsoft launched in Australia and many major European nations on day one, so it appears that the PS4 is really outselling the Xbox One at this point. It bears mentioning that the PlayStation 4 won't launch in Japan, Sony's home market, until early 2014; Sony typically dominates Microsoft in the land of the rising sun, however.

Sony has set a goal of selling 3 million consoles by the end of the year, and 5 million consoles by the end of March 2014. It's looking like these estimates may end up being on the conservative side. While the Xbox One is certainly selling well, the first few weeks seem to point toward the PlayStation 4 being in higher demand. As of this writing, Amazon has the Xbox One in stock. No such luck for the PlayStation 4.

The bottom line
The PlayStation brand is extremely important to Sony, and the initial success of the PlayStation 4 is encouraging. The Xbox One's higher price, due to the forced inclusion of the Kinect, is likely turning gamers off from the console. While both consoles are selling well, the PlayStation 4 appears to be in the lead.

The future of entertainment begins now…
We're in the midst of an all-out $2.2 trillion media war that pits cable companies like Cox, Comcast, and Time Warner against technology giants like Apple, Google, and Netflix. The Motley Fool's shocking video presentation reveals the secret Steve Jobs took to his grave, and explains why the only real winners are these three lesser-known power players that film your favorite shows. Click here to watch today!


Read/Post Comments (29) | Recommend This Article (6)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 5:06 PM, pedaltank wrote:

    Here's the problem Microsoft encountered. While their system is good, and in many respect on par with the PS4, the terrible PR blunders they created right after E3 turned many people away from the system. Add the price and forced Kinect use and you have a recipe for disaster. People don't forget the bad quickly and their negligent attitude towards the consumer and their concerns caused a major stink in the gaming community.

    MS forgot that consumers control the industry and that they can dictate whether something succeeds or not. The only way they could of gotten away with the attitude they had is if they had the market corned and they didn't. The only thing that MS could hold over the consumers heads was exclusive titles and that just isn't enough for many.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 5:13 PM, mindriot wrote:

    pedaltank - I can agree with your statement to a point. But the fact is that the initial vision that Microsoft shared is what the future of console gaming will be. Always online is the way to go. You won't have to wait for updates as they will be updated when they become available. I also really liked the family share program that they had envisioned where you could share your game with up to 10 people regardless of if they were family or not. In reality as a 40 year old gamer I don't have 10 friends that are into gaming like I am and certainly not many that I would want to lend a physical disc to.

    Timothy Green - your comment on the fact that Microsoft and Sony launching in a different amount of countries bears no weight in the discussion. The fact is that a million units are a million units regardless of the fact of how they are allocated. If Microsoft made all of their units available in only North America they still would have sold the same amount and vice versa if Sony launched in 13 countries, they still would have sold the same amount. At this stage of the game consumers are eagerly waiting for these consoles and a million units would not have been enough to satiate the masses who wanted either console.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 6:02 PM, LucinaStar wrote:

    @mindriot : No it's not I remember having a long debate with a idiot who kept saying that physical discs will one day go away because "it's the future". He shut up when brought up CDs and the music industry and asked him why haven't they went to all digital yet when they're in a better position too?

    Do you people who spot this digital only future even factor in the internet as whole? You have download caps and yes caps are getting bigger but so are games.

    Can you imagine if you bought a new console late in its life span for cheap with plenty of games on the market and you wanted to buy 10 games for it but each of those 10 games took up 40 to 50 gigs worth space?

    Yeah, have fun downloading all that and wasting your cap limit. Then there's the fact that not every place has internet and not every place that has broadband. It's stupid business to want to lose out on lots of potential profits when you have the money to gain them.

    That whole not waiting for updates idea is already here. The ps3 has it and so does the ps4. It's called automatic updates. Guess what? I don't have to be connected to the internet to play my ps3 games.

    Also you must be gullible if you thought that family share plan was going to happen and be ok with developers. That's 10 sells they miss out on. You honestly think that would've been ok with them? When they're trying so hard to get rid of used games? Yeah ok.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 6:04 PM, LucinaStar wrote:

    @mindriot : No it's not I remember having a long debate with a idiot who kept saying that physical discs will one day go away because "it's the future". He shut up when brought up CDs and the music industry and asked him why haven't they went to all digital yet when they're in a better position too?

    Do you people who spot this digital only future even factor in the internet as whole? You have download caps and yes caps are getting bigger but so are games.

    Can you imagine if you bought a new console late in its life span for cheap with plenty of games on the market and you wanted to buy 10 games for it but each of those 10 games took up 40 to 50 gigs worth space?

    Yeah, have fun downloading all that and wasting your cap limit. Then there's the fact that not every place has internet and not every place that has broadband. It's stupid business to want to lose out on lots of potential profits when you have the money to gain them.

    That whole not waiting for updates idea is already here. The ps3 has it and so does the ps4. It's called automatic updates. Guess what? I don't have to be connected to the internet to play my ps3 games.

    Also you must be gullible if you thought that family share plan was going to happen and be ok with developers. That's 10 sells they miss out on. You honestly think that would've been ok with them? When they're trying so hard to get rid of used games? Yeah ok.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 6:11 PM, normgarry wrote:

    #1 Besides the fanboys and Forbes and Motley's Fool, I've NEVER seen this much RIDICULOUS conjecture during a video game generation and I've been in it since 1985.

    #2 NEITHER of these systems are "winning" anything. Take a look at the XBOX360 and PS3. They've both sold a reasonably similar number of consoles.

    80,000,000 as of October 13' for XBOX and 80,000,000 for PS3 as of November 13'.

    DO YOU UNDERSTAND???

    THEY'VE SOLD ROUGHLY THE SAME.

    #3 During Christmas the PS4 will be completely off shelves and very few XBOXOnes will be available either. KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS???

    It means that PS4 and XBOX have easily sold roughly 99% (or more) of their initial production.

    NOBODY is BEATING ANYBODY here.

    #4 The only thing that will make the difference in sales is EXCLUSIVES. HALO is stronger than any other Sony Franchise (by sales). Gran Turismo on PS2 has sold more, but Halo releases are MORE FREQUENT than GT releases.

    XBOX ONE's Gears of War and HALO will easily sell systems while PS3's exclusives will help sell it. Ultimately, most gamers will end up buying BOTH SYSTEMS (like I did) so they don't miss out on either.

    #5 I prefer my XBOX One to my PS4 because the controller feels better in my hands and the KINECT voice integration makes it more friendly to the living room. KINECT is a cool gimmick and visitors to my house learn to use it in just 2 MINUTES.

    The only thing scary is that when the system is in my bedroom, it "spotted" me and my girlfriend in bed and SIGNED US BOTH IN to XBOX LIVE lol.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 6:12 PM, LucinaStar wrote:

    @ mindriot: Also you're grasping at straws and over exaggerating how much people want the X1. Even my gamestop said they had more demand for the ps4 than the X1 and I rarely say that.

    Face it the X1 is not the big in demand with consumers right now. Gamers don't really want to have Kinect, the X1 is sightly less powerful, and it's $500 more. The multimedia features most gamers don't care about. I've seen many gamers claim they want a ps4 because it focuses on games more, not TV features.

    Amazon quickly sells out of ps4's in mere minutes while the x1 usually is in stock for days till they run out.

    Plus the ps4 outsold the X1 in Europe.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 6:14 PM, LucinaStar wrote:

    @mindriot : No it's not I remember having a long debate with a idiot who kept saying that physical discs will one day go away because "it's the future". He shut up when brought up CDs and the music industry and asked him why haven't they went to all digital yet when they're in a better position too?

    Do you people who spot this digital only future even factor in the internet as whole? You have download caps and yes caps are getting bigger but so are games.

    Can you imagine if you bought a new console late in its life span for cheap with plenty of games on the market and you wanted to buy 10 games for it but each of those 10 games took up 40 to 50 gigs worth space?

    Yeah, have fun downloading all that and wasting your cap limit. Then there's the fact that not every place has internet and not every place that has broadband. It's stupid business to want to lose out on lots of potential profits when you have the money to gain them.

    That whole not waiting for updates idea is already here. The ps3 has it and so does the ps4. It's called automatic updates. Guess what? I don't have to be connected to the internet to play my ps3 games.

    Also you must be gullible if you thought that family share plan was going to happen and be ok with developers. That's 10 sells they miss out on. You honestly think that would've been ok with them? When they're trying so hard to get rid of used games? Yeah ok.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 6:24 PM, LucinaStar wrote:

    @ normgarry The Gears of War franchise is not exclusive to Microsoft anymore and the creator said he won't promise that it will be exclusive t the X1.

    The 360 only sold 80 million in the US everywhere it hasn't. The ps3 has more global sales than the 360.

    The ps4 is selling out at a faster rate than the X1 FACT. The ps4 is winning.

    Halo didn't help the first Xbox so it's not guaranteed to help the X1 alone.

    Most gamers had only a ps2 and didn't mind missing out on Xbox exclusives, don't think they won't do the same this gen. 3rd party support is what matters and 3rd parties supported the ps2 more because it had more hardcore gamer support in terms of sales. 1st party exclusives don't mean anything.

    I don't understand why some gamers try to make excuses for MS and the X1. Trying to make it look like ps4 doesn't have any advantage. They're just as bad as apple fanboys. You may have both but you're trying to justify you dropping $500 on the X1.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 6:30 PM, mindriot wrote:

    @LucinaStar -

    First of all, did I ever say that going digital was the way to go? I don't believe I even once insinuated that. However, if XBL or PSN offered new game releases for $10 less than retail copies you bet people would be buying them in droves. Where do music CD's play into this conversation? Oh yeah, they don't.

    Do you even factor in that games are now mandatory installs on the system? What does that mean? It means regardless if you are buying a retail game with a 15 gig size or downloading it with a 15 gig size, it is still 15 gigs.

    Can you imagine buying a next gen console and 10 games to find out that it has pretty much extinguished all your hard drive space and you will have to delete an older game from your system to make room for a new one? Again, what is your point here?

    As far as internet goes. Of course not everywhere has great internet access. Did I say it did? I said the FUTURE. Do you have any reading comprehension at all?

    My PS3 doesn't automatically download updates. It lets me know that there is an update there and then I have to confirm to download it. And guess what? I don't have to be online to play my PS3, PS2, Xbox 360 or XBox One! Again, what is your point??

    Finally to address your last statement of stupidity--developers had no say in the family share initiative just like it has no say in the used game market. Would they prefer if everyone bought a copy of their game? Of course, but they can not control the fact of the matter which is whether or not you physically loan a copy or if your system allows you to share a copy it is still cutting into their profits. What MS was attempting was helping developers recoup lost sales by offering the trade feature which would allow you to sell a game to anyone ( a one-time only transaction) and the developer would get a percentage of that transaction. So yes, ideally developers would rather get say 30% of $60 than nothing.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 6:32 PM, mindriot wrote:

    @normgarry - I totally understand and are in agreement to you. My whole point was that a million units sold is a million units sold. If both companies have a million units to sell and they sell them it puts them on equal ground regardless of how many countries got it. If I bought a million PS4's myself it amounts to the same one millions as if a million individual buyers bought it.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 6:33 PM, LucinaStar wrote:

    @normgarry There is more demand you idiot. The ps4 sells out in minutes rater than days. They both are in demand but the ps4 sells out at a faster rate. They have had 2 restocks since after their launches for both.

    The ps4 restocks have sold out faster, don't you check amazon or other online stores? They even had restocks on Black Friday it was on the news.

    You don't have to pay for internet to be connected to play online games entirely. MMO are not tied to ps+/ Also I don't have for ps+ to go on Netflix, Hulu Youtube, or Crunchyroll unlike Gold. So you were saying?

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 6:36 PM, mindriot wrote:

    @LucinaStar - you are the one grasping at straws. Because your local Gamestop tells you that there particular store has more PS4 preferred buyers than the X1 means nothing. My local Gamestops tell me differently and I happen to be friends with one of the store managers so there is no reason he would lie to me on that.

    The fact is that not only did the XBox One outsell the PS4 in the US during the Black Friday debacle but the 360 did as well. How do you justify that??

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 6:39 PM, mindriot wrote:

    @LucinaStar - you better run on over to Amazon because the PS4 is in stock while the XBox One isn't!!! Derp

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 6:53 PM, LucinaStar wrote:

    @mindriot I saw you said FUTURE and that's exactly what I'm referring to. Where's your reading comprehension? You don't have to always say something to implie it. You're saying one day every place will have great internet to download 50gb for just one game. It will never happen. Period. And even if it did they won't get rid of physical format.

    The fact that with CDS you have buy the whole album (which is usually $15) while with digital songs you can pick and choice what songs you want for much less? Yet CDS still make a profit and haven't gone away even though they can now? Is it really that hard to figure out why I brought them up?

    You don't have to download the whole game on your system on the ps4. The installs are sorta like GTA 5 or Ni No Kuni.

    Yeah I can imagine that it would suck. Whats your point?

    Great for you that you don't have connect to the internet to play your games, the X1 was about that feature till consumers said no and they will continue to. Actually you have download a patch currently in order to have offline play X1 so that restriction is still in effect. What's your point?

    Go to your setting automatic downloads are right there, all ps3's have it, my god.

    LOL you really think developers had NO say what soever in MS family share plan? LOL omg!! They could up and leave and take their games only on the ps4 how's that for say!?

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 6:54 PM, quen wrote:

    im gay.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 6:55 PM, LucinaStar wrote:

    @mindriot really? last time I checked it wasn't.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 7:01 PM, LucinaStar wrote:

    @mindriot The guy who said the ps4 in more demand was the manger and I'm friends with him too. heve even gives me free items.

    Because the X1 had more copies than ps4 on Black Friday? Even though the ps4 sold out first because it had less? Just a thought.

    As for the 360 it was cheaper than ps3 on Black Friday ($100 for a 360 is a great deal) end of story.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 7:15 PM, LucinaStar wrote:

    @mindriot I have 3 gamestop all near me that in the exact same area one is the mall and 2 out side and only 4 minutes drive apart from each other. The all say the same thing with the ps4 sales.

    I'm friends with one of the mangers, he gives me free stuff and he wouldn't lie to me.

    The ps4 had less copies than the X1 on Black Friday. The ps4 still sold out first. The 360 was cheaper the 360 and had better bundles. Got anything else?

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 7:19 PM, PanzerWatts wrote:

    It's way to early to make a reliable prediction on the eventual results of this console generation. But if you were to make a prediction at this point, it looks like that both these consoles will be successful. It's quite likely that both companies will make a substantial return on their investment.

    This is a stock site. At the bottom line it's the effects on each companies stock price that matters.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 8:16 PM, mindriot wrote:

    Yes I do. The point is that both new systems had the same amount of units for sale. They both sold out of all their initial units and both companies are struggling to meet the demand of the consumer.

    My local Gamestop manager says the opposite of what you say in regards to the 6 stores in my immediate area. I guess that makes the argument a wash.

    Your argument on Black Friday is flawed. How do you know how many copies the PS4 had on stock compared to the XBox One? You don't. It is all conjecture on your point of what quantities were available.

    So what you are saying is that since there were no PS4's available on Black Friday (according to your theory) people were just plunking down their money on anything in a mad frantic attempt to just purchase something? No, I don't think so. The XBX1 and 360 kicked the PS4's ass!! You just can't bring yourself to accept the truth of the matter.

    It's fine though because I think that both the XBX1 and PS4 are going to do just fine and that certainly don't need blind enraged fanboys like yourself jumping to their defense and waving their flag.

    I happened to think the XBX1 was the better system and the one I wanted first. Am I going to get a PS4? Sure, but I am waiting until after the holidays and they become more readily available.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 8:37 PM, normgarry wrote:

    PS4 RESTOCKS are TRICKLING in while Amazon had XBOX in stock hours ago.

    Getting 10 PS4's at a time vs. getting 100 XBOXes at a time DOES NOT PROVE DEMAND IS STRONGER FOR PS4. The problem is the Demand has outstripped supply.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 9:05 PM, opticash wrote:

    All of this article is based upon speculation. Actually XBox crushed Sony during Black Friday and Monday due to the fact that Sony was lacking in inventory. So we really don't know the numbers. Microsoft sold 1 million the first day and probably added at least a million to that over Thanksgiving. Of course that is speculation as well, but at least as well-reasoned as the speculation of the author.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 9:06 PM, NickD wrote:

    The ps4 is a low end PC.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 10:19 PM, IIxCORRUPTEDxII wrote:

    SO why do people care which one out sell which? Let be honest for a minute... both systems are good, both have a following, but one is an upgrade from its previous system, and one not only upgraded but added a bunch of other things to there system... I think anyone that had both PS3 and 360 clearly sees that XBL is better... anyone that say "well PS4 is focused on games and Im a gamer so its better" I have a question for you..ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? I probably play more then you do.. you paid 400 for a newer faster stronger weak station..argue all you want, you bought a newer system and that's it..and they thanked you by maken you pay to play...X1 is for gamers... not gamers come home from school eat a snack and jump online..alot of us have family and work and are grown people..we like football, soccer or whatever sport it is we are into to..now I don't have to miss the when I want to play.. now my 6 year old can say xbox watch good luck Charlie and bamm its there.. now I can Skype while watchn a game and enhance my experience or friends from around the world can join us at superbowl parties and whatever else we are doing..have you see illumaroom?? goggle it..weakstation doesn't have that..with all this talk about hardware..lol and you still act like you don't see all that X1 can do.. your argument about "I don't want does things Im a gamer" is just u not want to say.. X1 is better... plain and simple.. so argue all you want... X1 offers more does more and is better... its the future... its no different then haters bashing Halo.. Halo advanced FPS, each and ever call of duty has added elements of halo, but cod kids bash Halo..lol one day people will start being more honest and stop acting like sheep

    weeeeaaakssstttaaaatiiiooonn

    (and yes I have both and the PS4 will be on ebay soon)

    :)

  • Report this Comment On December 08, 2013, at 3:32 AM, rav55 wrote:

    PS4 or XBOX who cares! AMD will net by the end of March over $1 billion in APU sales from both of them. Sony expects 5 million units by March and Microsoft will be right in there as well. At $125 or so per APU AMD is the really big winner here!

  • Report this Comment On December 08, 2013, at 9:29 AM, Batenzi wrote:

    The truth of the matter is, both consoles are "Winning". They are both selling out on consoles, and they will continue to do so for years to come. What this comes down to is a matter of opinion as to which console people prefer.

    I have been a Playstation owner for well over a decade, however I see the great advantages to owning the new Xbone with the way it integrates with all the electronics in my living room, that's pretty cool and will only get better as they work the bugs out. (My Brazilian wife won't use the voice itegration do to her accent) So, I bought both consoles and am no longer restricting myself to taking sides, ie. drinking the koolaid.

    To summarize, both companies win, the consumer wins, everybody wins. Go game and impatiently wait for the more next gen games to come out.

  • Report this Comment On December 08, 2013, at 2:21 PM, bluewolf wrote:

    While I enjoy my Xbox and have always thought it was a better multiplayer system I really like the attitude that Sony has towards its gammers vs Microsoft. Sony has taken the stand that it gives the consumer what they want where Microsoft is telling the consumer what they will get.

    Don't need a Kinec

    Don't want to be online all time.

    Don't limit me to bought/downloading games.

    I'll bite the bullet at sometime when the 'bugs' are more or less ironed out. Xbox controller is still superior, XboxLive is still better than Sony, and I'm looking forward to NFL on the Xbox

  • Report this Comment On December 09, 2013, at 12:57 AM, AcuraT wrote:

    I checked Amazon. There is a limited supply of Sony P4s from resellers - Amazon has no more units.

    For the Microsoft XBox 360, Amazon also does not have units but they refer to resellers who they are not associated with that may have units.

    It appears both systems have limited availablity.

  • Report this Comment On December 20, 2013, at 1:16 AM, falsejesus1987 wrote:

    Ok so I am a manager for a reputable Video Game Store. I am not going to say names do to my company's policy. Now I see you all post about how ps4 is out selling Xb1. That is not true, by any means. Do we sell out of ps4's faster? Yeah cause we only get 4-8 at a time. Microsoft on the other hand gives us any where from 14-28 at a time. Sony is a electronics manufacturer that makes ps4 in house, they should easily have more then Xb1. So what they are doing is what Nintendo does and it will end up back firing on them terribly. As of now we sell a lot more xb1 units vs. Ps4.

    Second Xb1 is not slightly less powerful they are about on par. Ps4 has ddr5 ram Xbox has ddr3 so there is a slight speed boost. Xb1 has the same processor and video card as ps4, Xbox over clocked them from what Sony has them at so there is a slight speed boost. Xbox one can bump no refreshing processes off on to the cloud Sony can't. Sony can let you play your whole game on the cloud if you want to buy the digital copy, but so can xbox. Sony used a tiny box which is why they have some overheat issues. Xbox used a big box with a fan that is as big as a quarter of the unit itself.

    Digital sales are the way of the future hense why my store can sell you the digital copy. If you don't believe me look at steam. Steam is roughly 85% of all pc game sales the reason why is you don't pay a distributor or a retailer and there us no cost to make the disc and box. My store on average sells 2 pc games a month which is normal even compared to the rest of the stores in my company. Disc media will eventually fade when the console company's learn to sell it at a discount. There are a lot of pc gamers out there but very few who buy games in store. Our steam card sales have been through the roof this holiday.

    Lastly this is to the one guy who thinks halo didn't help sell the original Xbox. I have absolutely no idea where you found your information but you could not be more wrong. Halo combat evolved was what got Xbox off the ground if it wasn't for halo Xbox would t be a name in the console war. 1st party exclusives aren't the most immportant part of what makes some one puck a system but they are deffinently a deciding factor for most. And gears of war is still exclusive to Xbox they own the rights they contract epic games to make it rather then an in house studio. And the creator cliff blezinski no longer works for epic and hasn't for about a year so how did you read about him commenting on a game he has nothing to do with now?

Add your comment.

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2751284, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 12/17/2014 9:32:31 PM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...


Advertisement