7 Hot Technology Trends in 2014

It's a good time to be a technology investor. Over the past 12 months, tech stocks in the S&P 500 are up a scorching 25%. The coming year will feature no shortage of story lines with not only the emergence of technology trends such as "The Internet of Things," but also continuing advances in the mobile world, social networks, and media.

We've laid out a full look at technology in 2014 in the comprehensive infographic below. We've identified key technology trends for the coming year, and how they'll affect the world around us and investors. Not only that, but you'll get an update on trends from 2013 such as the continuing dominance of Apple  (NASDAQ: AAPL  ) across the technology world and declining PC sales.

The best part is that sections in the infographic are clickable and lead to more in-depth discussion. Find social particularly intriguing? Click on that section to get a longer discussion on trends this year. Want to learn more about media changes in the year ahead? Simply click on the link to learn more.

Also, make sure to check out our exclusive investor hub with David Gardner, the Fool's co-founder and best technology investor. In it, he provides not only discussion on some of his favorite trends for this year, but offers exclusive stock picks for 2014 and beyond. The site is only open for a limited time, so click here to access it before it's gone.

• Report this Comment On January 19, 2014, at 1:30 PM, FoolSolo wrote:

No offense intended, but is any of this new? This list seems far too generic and obvious.

Just about everyone who invest already knows Mobile is up, PCs are down, Wearables and the Internet of Everything (more meaningful than Internet of Things) are next big trends, connected cars (yawn) have been coming for a while. So what?

More helpful might be who will win, and more importantly, why, and in what time horizon. As well, who will lose?

No one has a crystal ball, I know, but I get just about all of this information already from several other sources, it's a very well covered industry. What does Motley Fool have to say or add that I can't get from Wired, Forbes, Gartner, Forrester, etc.?

• Report this Comment On January 20, 2014, at 11:29 AM, norm1834 wrote:

What are those tech companies positioned to replace cable? I listened for over 20 min. To a Fools Schpeel and they never came to the point. A come on, and I'm already a member. Disappointing

• Report this Comment On January 20, 2014, at 12:07 PM, CraigWPowell wrote:

2014 will be Apple's big year:

AAPL recently upgraded to buy and outperform by:

* UBS

** I KNOW FIRST SYSTEM

*** Robert W. Baird

IMO May be AAPL be down in short term but in long run it is a steal, time to load up at each dip.

Good Luck!

• Report this Comment On January 21, 2014, at 8:14 PM, albo wrote:

I too listened and watched David's talk and video l about the Small Cap Gem that was was at the Birth of the Interworld while we witness the Death of the WW Web.

His emphasis was the need to act now to get into this wonderful opportunity before everyone learns about it and before everyone jumps in. The promised report and Company name r was never sent to me and the only emails I have received since joining has only led me to other sales pitches. I feel that I have been a Fool taht was Fooled by the Fool, and am ready to cancel my nerw subscription membership..

• Report this Comment On January 22, 2014, at 5:24 PM, smartcop wrote:

I feel the same as albo, I have never in my 74 years on this planet, been bounced around like a rubber ball . This is like a carnival huckster saying "step right up and see the sword swallower put King Arthur's sword completely down his throat". I feel I've been had, shame on me.

• Report this Comment On January 22, 2014, at 6:05 PM, marichel wrote:

The super long, drawn out, go-on-forever, teaser sales pitch emails that MF sends are absolutely BOGUS. They disrespect the intelligence of their members and are really dragging down their brand.

• Report this Comment On January 22, 2014, at 6:21 PM, bwidner1 wrote:

I gave up after 15 min of empty talk.

• Report this Comment On January 22, 2014, at 6:25 PM, cmalek wrote:

@FoolSolo:

"What does Motley Fool have to say or add that I can't get from Wired, Forbes, Gartner, Forrester, etc.?"

Absolutely Nothing. Over the years MF has become just another investment site pitching same-old, same-old stuff that every other site like Cramer, InvestorPost and others pitch. Stick with Wired, Forbes, Gartner, et al. They probably have more and better info than MF.

• Report this Comment On January 22, 2014, at 7:11 PM, MikeinDenver wrote:

People still need PCs. They tanked thanks to the horrible OS that is Windows 8. If Microsoft releases something that people actually want or fixes Windows 8 to be more like 7 sales will pick up. The deathknell of the PC is quite premature.

• Report this Comment On January 22, 2014, at 7:39 PM, Seighor wrote:

I didn't watch. Agree with others... too much hype sending us in circles and too little meat in the sandwich. Renewal is coming up soon... questionable.

• Report this Comment On January 22, 2014, at 11:51 PM, KillerRabbit wrote:

As both a developer and gamer, I've heard this "death of the PC" line for many, many years (ad nauseum). Yet they're still here. While I agree that tablets are becoming more prevalent, there's still a need for PCs and laptops.

There's a recent article I read that included numbers on how many people owned PCs, tablets, and even smartphones. It was eye opening in how many people still don't have computers, tablets, or smartphones. We take it for granted, assume that everyone has the latest and greatest when in fact it's not the case. I wonder if we're making such a big to do over wearable devices when it's a very small segment that it affects.

• Report this Comment On January 23, 2014, at 5:51 AM, t0ndi wrote:

Amen to all of the comments regarding the Foolish run-around. I subscribe to two of the Fool's services, but I am questioning their value these days, and I am totally fed up with the hype. I won't listen to any-body's video pitch--if I can't read a transcript I am clicking on my way.

And yes, most of what I do read from the Fool these days is generic pap.

The old saying---"Fool me once, . . ."

• Report this Comment On January 23, 2014, at 8:19 AM, wink71 wrote:

Why pay got to stock gumshoe you fools!!

• Report this Comment On January 25, 2014, at 5:26 PM, Lori8002 wrote:

Yes I am the fool for signing up for this bogus supposedly newsletter. All I get are sales pitches!

• Report this Comment On January 30, 2014, at 12:45 AM, a1ien wrote:

I concur with the last three responses. This is bogus... the term Fool is used with intent...

• Report this Comment On February 06, 2014, at 5:15 PM, vidya50 wrote:

Gimmicks, Gimmicks, in spite of saying they are on the side of little investor. I too waste a lot of money listening to these infomercials. should stop my habit of being fooled.

DocumentId: 2799201, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 4/18/2014 3:07:58 PM