Should You Worry About Insider Selling at 3D Systems Corporation?

No one has profited as much from the meteoric rise of 3-D printing as 3D Systems (NYSE: DDD  ) chief executive Abraham Reichental. And in December he finally cashed in some of his winnings.

According to a Form 4 disclosure, Reichental sold 25,000 shares at a weighted average price of $80.91 for more than $2 million in gross proceeds -- an impressive haul but also nothing to be concerned about, Fool contributor Tim Beyers says in the following video.

Why not? Reichental only parted with just 1.5% of his position, which as of this writing includes more than 1.6 million shares. He also rarely sells. In fact, he sold just a week after collecting 125,000 new restricted shares that he could acquire for $1 apiece on or before Feb. 3. Add it up, Tim says, and you've nothing more than an executive enjoying a small portion of the fruits of his labor.

Do you agree? What are your favorite 3-D printing stocks? Please watch the video for Tim's full take and then leave a comment to let us know whether you would buy, sell, or short 3D Systems' stock at current prices.

The No. 1 Way to Lose Your Wealth Without Even Knowing It
You’ve fought hard to build wealth for you and your family. Yet one all-too-common pitfall could completely derail your dreams before you even know it. That's why a company The Economist hails as "an ethical oasis" has isolated five simple questions you must answer to ensure that your financial future is really secure.

Can you answer YES to all five of these eye-opening questions?
Click here to find out -- before it’s too late!

• Report this Comment On January 22, 2014, at 3:15 PM, ShineThroughMe wrote:

If I owned or worked for a profitable company I would be taking profits. Why deny that of others?

• Report this Comment On January 22, 2014, at 4:01 PM, vicmark wrote:

While 3D Systems has run up quite quickly, I think they are doing the rights things to keep expanding its brand. Don't forget 3D printing is still in its infancy. I like the stock very much. I think it has a great future and the coming years will bear fruit for the long-term investor.

• Report this Comment On January 23, 2014, at 2:11 PM, RuffPuff wrote:

I purchased at $76, as a very conservative investor I am on the fence as to buying or selling.

I will be watching comments and doing more research regards DDD.

• Report this Comment On January 23, 2014, at 4:21 PM, WoodyFingers wrote:

Everything Tim Beyers says in the video makes sense to me. I trust Motley Fool to help me separate my emotions from my investing moves (buying and selling.) Since I bought DDD 3/12/2013 at $32.50/share, I can live with a bit of volatility. Emotions... under control, I can even sleep at night with WPRT down 53.8% because Motley Fool can see farther into the future than I can. Now, if I would only take the time to learn all the material they offer!!!

• Report this Comment On January 23, 2014, at 4:30 PM, Sparticus501 wrote:

I am holding 95% of my shares for the long term, but recenlty sold 5% to take a nice profit. Unless there is some dramatic revelation (the chief executive selling off 1.5% is not that dramatic), I hold my shares for a very long time. If there is a significant dip and no changes in the fundamentals of the company, I will purchase more shares.