10 Obamacare Facts You Need to Know After 4 Months

Following three years of planned implementation, Obamacare's state and federally run health exchanges have been open for business for four months as of today. The results, as you might imagine, have been mixed with the glitch-filled October and November months acting as a complete night-and-day to the robust enrollment figures we've witnessed since the start of December and through the entirety of January.

As you may have also suspected, these bifurcated results have also brought a number of wildly pessimistic and optimistic claims regarding Obamacare's future into the limelight. But, rather than stew on the countless opinions and prognostications associated with Obamacare, I prefer to instead dwell on the facts surrounding Obamacare's implementation in these early months.

Here are the 10 Obamacare facts that really matter after the first four months.

1. Obamacare enrollments have reached 3 million.
The most important figure that everyone is likely to focus on came in a blog post from the administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services last week, Marilyn Tavenner, that Obamacare enrollment has now reached 3 million. If you're going strictly by the Department of Health and Human Services estimates, Obamacare enrollments are still running behind schedule, as the agency had forecast 3.3 million enrollees by the end of December. However, momentum is currently undeniable with more than 2.6 million people signing up for health insurance between Dec. 1 and Jan. 24.

2. 6.3 million have been deemed eligible for Medicaid or CHIP coverage.
Also within Tavenner's post was the figure that between October and December 6.3 million people were deemed eligible to enroll in Medicaid or the Children's Health Insurance Program, or CHIP. One of the primary tenets of Obamacare was to bring access to health insurance to individuals who previously had no access or could not afford health insurance. With 6.3 million people enrolling, it would appear that this new law is accomplishing its goal of lessening the number of uninsured.

3. The U.S. uninsured rate dropped 1.2% ... in a month!
Based on a Gallup poll that has been conducted with some regularity since 2008, the percentage of U.S. uninsured dropped 1.2% in January to 16.1% from 17.3% in December. This marks the lowest uninsured level in three years, and is a marked decline from the 18.6% uninsured level reported just this past summer. However, I wouldn't suggest getting too lost in this figure, as it includes both the 3 million paying enrollees, and the 6.3 million government-sponsored enrollees, meaning an uninsured rate drop was expected. Whether Obamacare can continuously lower the uninsured rate over the long term is the real question left remaining.

4. Gold and platinum plans are selling poorly -- but that's OK.
According to mid-January data from the HHS, a majority of enrollees have chosen bronze (20%) or silver plans (60%) thus far and have primarily left gold (13%) or platinum (7%) level plans on the shelf -- and that's quite all right with the HHS and insurance companies! Just like purchasing any product in a retail environment, lower-priced items can have the beefiest margins. Selling plans with lower premiums that require higher out-of-pocket expenses by members for doctor visits, medication, and hospitalization, can actually result in fewer medical expenses for the insurer, as long as the consumer continues to pay their end of the bargain, that is!

5. Not enough young adults are signing up.
Also according to that HHS mid-January report, young adult enrollment, the key component that I've stated will determine the long-term success or failure of Obamacare, is running below projections. Through Dec. 28, 489,460, or 24%, of all enrollees were between the ages of 18 and 34.


Source: Centers of Medicare & Medicaid Services

The reason this age group is so crucial is that these individuals are often healthy, and their premiums are needed to help offset the higher costs associated with treating elderly and terminally ill patients. With the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act mandating broader health benefits for insurance plans, insurers can no longer deny coverage to patients with pre-existing conditions. This scenario makes the importance of young adults signing up paramount to Obamacare's success. 

6. Not all insurers are confident in the long-term success of Obamacare.
Just because Obamacare is the law of the land and is expected to bring potentially millions of new members into the fold, not all insurance companies are sold on its success. Aetna (NYSE: AET  ) CEO Mark Bertolini, who has been critical of the new health reform law in the past, spoke with CNBC last week and noted that a lack of early enrollment success and a shortage of young adults could cause his company to drop out of Obamacare completely based on the right scenario. Investors should take note of what the nation's largest insurers are saying but may also want to take Bertolini's gripe with a grain of salt, as Aetna decided not to participate in California or New York's individual health exchange, and thus far these have been two of the three best performing states with regard to enrollments.

Source: Hobvias Sudoneighm, Flickr.

7. Obamacare opposition is at an all-time high.
It pretty much doesn't matter which poll you look at -- the percentage of respondents who view Obamacare as unfavorable is at or near an all-time high. The January Kaiser Family Foundation poll showed that those who view Obamacare as unfavorable stood at 50%, the highest level since October 2011. A CNN/ORC International poll conducted in mid-December pointed to a record number unfavorable views of Obamacare with opposition to the law standing at 62%. In other words, select Americans may be signing up, but they may be doing so out of the necessity of Obamacare now being a law with an attached penalty for noncompliance, rather than by choice.

8. State exchange problems are back in the spotlight.
The Obamacare website, Healthcare.gov, may not be perfect -- there are still kinks to work out with regard to adding a baby to a family insurance plan -- but the "glitch spotlight" is actually back on state-run health exchanges such as those in Hawaii, Oregon, and Vermont. Vermont's exchange spends just as much time being upgraded as it does running, Oregon's exchange just went online recently, a few months late, and Hawaii, as of the end of December, was dead last in the nation in enrollments because of its glitch-filled exchange. Not surprisingly, CGI Group (NYSE: GIB  ) , the primary architect of Healthcare.gov, was also the contractor assigned to design Hawaii and Vermont's state-run exchanges.

9. CGI Group is out as Healthcare.gov's primary architect.
Given the aforementioned problems directly caused by CGI Group's source code, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services announced in mid-January that it will not reneCGI's contract which is set to expire on Feb. 28. Instead, the CMS announced that it had hired global IT-consulting company Accenture (NYSE: ACN  ) to fill the void. Accenture will inherit the day-to-day activities of Healthcare.gov's operations, and will be instrumental in implementing changes that will allow small businesses to be integrated into the website before open enrollment for 2015 starts on Nov. 15.

10. March 31 is the most important deadline.
Last, but certainly not of least importance by any means, is that the March 31 coverage cutoff remains the most important deadline on the horizon for Obamacare. Because the laws of the PPACA allow citizens to go without health insurance for up to three months in a year without fear of the individual mandate penalty, it's pretty conceivable that those who view Obamacare unfavorably, but don't want to pay the penalty, will wait until the end of March to fully enroll. Therefore, it's still plausible that Obamacare could hit the HHS target of 7 million enrollees, but we simply won't know until the mid-April update from the HHS.

Many Americans still don't understand how Obamacare will affect them-but you can learn its ins and outs in a matter of minutes, for free
Obamacare seems complex, but it doesn't have to be. In only minutes, you can learn the critical facts you need to know in a special free report called "Everything You Need to Know About Obamacare." This free guide contains the key information and money-making advice that every American must know. Please click here to access your free copy.


Read/Post Comments (61) | Recommend This Article (31)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 3:54 PM, Sara711 wrote:

    If this law is sooooo wonderful

    why is it so hard to sell?

    why did the Pres. have to LIE to get it passed?

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 4:13 PM, monikataylor31 wrote:

    i just feel that as country we need to get the jobs back here first . before getting health ins.

    because if you don't have away to pay for it , then how can you afford it. everything is going up rent goes up every year, gas is up, food is high, no one is keeping a job. unemployment is up. they say it down, but people unemployment is running out. that is way it looks like it is down. the rich is getting richer and the middle class in the new poor and the poor is the new homeless. if the congress had to live in our shoe with there pay, they would sing a different tune.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 4:14 PM, babywolf wrote:

    Well there really is one much more important fact that this article seems to overlook:

    How much of an increase did everyone else see in their health insurance costs who had insurance as a result of implementing Obamacare? I can say in my case it was a 200% increase, and I had a really good plan before all this. If I am anywhere near the norm, the majority of those with health insurance had their costs go up and usually with lowered benefits and that is reason for the poll numbers you mentioned.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 4:19 PM, Disgustedman wrote:

    3. The U.S. uninsured rate dropped 1.2% ... in a month!

    Considering that was mainly due to medicare enrollees being tossed out of their old plans...Yeah, great numbers if you want to have SOMETHING to believe in....Like that Obama hasn't really done anything but honk off most of the country.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 4:43 PM, wildgifts wrote:

    Why is it that no one has adjusted the 7 million target figure? After all, over 4 million people lost coverage AFTER the 7 million was put out as a goal. Shouldn't the goal now be 11 or 12 million? Of course, having 4 million plus people who had insurance (and therefore obviously wanted it all along anyway) cast adrift will make it a lot easier to get to 7, won't it? After all, polls (not the never-transparent Dept. of HHS) have shown that of the 3 million sign-ups, all of 11% didn't have coverage before.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 4:45 PM, scipiojr wrote:

    # 5 will improve as the fine increases and #7 will decrease as time goes on. Most of the opposition is from those who had preconceived biases or those who didn't understand the law. The latter are partly excused because the govt. did a lousy job of explaining the ACA and blew the opening.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 5:07 PM, warpig6558 wrote:

    I still don't get their math. They claim Obamacare enrollments have reached 3 million...OK fine(I don't believe it, but whatever) What about the 5-6 million that had coverage and lost it at the end of Dec.? So according to their enrollment figures, we must have 2-3 million more uninsured, but they claim The U.S. uninsured rate dropped 1.2% ... in a month!

    How can the uninsured rate drop when more people are uninsured?

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 5:42 PM, ferdiefor wrote:

    Media articles like these are deliberately misleading. It isn't up to the media to carry water for Obamacare. It is up to the liar in chief.

    The recession explains higher uninsured rate and lower utilization therefore lower price increases. Obama has been lying thru his teeth about all of these things hoping he could fool everyone one more time.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 5:43 PM, TimSchultze wrote:

    Why has Obamacare been so hard to sell? Because the anti-Obama folks have got themselves a billionaire funded "charity" network that pays for misinformation, which is all we've heard from the Big Business media since the Kochs guaranteed Ron Paul his laughably naive chance to run for president in exchange for taking the Tea Party name in 2010, which was used to bus in all those our-of-staters who disrupted town hall meetings. We've got a mis-information campaign that is well financed by the very people who have been rewarded by our economic recovery, and aren't willing to share it with the rest of us.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 5:44 PM, mdel11 wrote:

    No, I would say most of the opposition come from small business owners who have always made sure to have insurance, and who are now paying 120% more than last year for worse coverage and higher potential out of pocket exposure!

    Where is that in the list of things people should know?!

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 5:52 PM, PigletOctopi wrote:

    I am concerned that there is yet several more shoes to drop that will hurt us all: 1. after the 2014 election, the employer mandate will take effect and full time jobs will drop, 2. the impact this will have on our taxes, all of those taxes and tax increases haven't yet showed their ugly little faces yet and 3. See how high the penalty for not having health insurance increases year after year.

    I think the middle class is going to be redefined because of this law.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 5:55 PM, dragonsfly wrote:

    3. The U.S. uninsured rate dropped 1.2% ... in a month! "the percentage of U.S. uninsured dropped 1.2% in January to 16.1% from 17.3% in December. This marks the lowest uninsured level in three years, and is a marked decline from the 18.6% uninsured level reported just this past summer." Translation...Most people were unemployed AND uninsured, now they are just unemployed.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 5:56 PM, JePonce wrote:

    4 more facts you need to know.

    1. It is Obamatax, as defined by the Supreme Court.

    2. Democrats created the illusion it is about care to disguise its intent and to wrap it in a false cloak as a moral imperative.

    3. Every single soul that died last year whether or not they hade insurance, still died.

    4. Citizens taking advantage of Obamatax insurance will still die.

    And you can take that to the bank!

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 6:01 PM, thecarnivore123 wrote:

    The shameful thing is that the Motley Fool continues to promote this disastrous law, one of the few media outlets to try to pretend it doesn't suck. Cherry picking statistics isn't going to win you any friends or any credibility.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 6:01 PM, Ethanoldawg wrote:

    17 TRILLION in debt. If you take more from a lady than she willingly gives, it is called rape. What do we call what we are taking from our children. Will they be indentured servants, serfs or slaves to the ruling elite. I am thinking serfs or slaves, indentured servants can pay their way out.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 6:03 PM, JePonce wrote:

    Obamatax Insurance is the most complex process devised in the history of mankind. As evidence, 2,000+ pages of legislation, 1,000+ pages of implementing rules....and that is a bare-bones outline.

    The more complex the process, the more money lost to fraud.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 6:05 PM, JePonce wrote:

    Warning!

    Obamacare has given rise to a new potential threat of insurance fraud.

    Bogus insurance companies could develop into a cottage industry.

    Literature may come via U.S. mail or email.

    If a bogus insurance company is selected and you agree to premium payments by direct transfer of funds from your private bank account, you will wake up the next morning with no money left in your account.

    It cost my neighbor $2,314.23.

    To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 6:15 PM, silverdragon8448 wrote:

    If you are on the lowest plan and pay about 5,000 a year in insurance and the deductible is 6,000. You are out of pocket 11,000, If you saved the 11,000 after 10 years you would have 110,000 and in twenty years 220,000 and in 550,000 in 50 years. Then you can leave the US and be rich in another country.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 6:24 PM, james27613 wrote:

    Here is a fact, Obamacare is costing me at least 10 hours a week in lost part time wages.

    Plus the 15% 401k contributions that are not being deposited into my company 401k plan.

    I worked each week part time job 28-32 hours a week, since Obamacare the cut all part timers to 24 hours a week max.

    BTW the IRS and state I live in are not getting any income taxes or social security money from these lost wages.

    Thanks OBAMA, PELOSI and dummies in congress.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 6:43 PM, RsGoat wrote:

    How many have forgotten the the bureau of statistics is now under control of the Oval Office? Since all pertinent numbers for unemployment, uninsured, newly insured are now tallied by a group of people who work for the President why would they give him bad numbers? I could be wrong, but the appearance is still there and the numbers don’t match the story. We have over 250 thousand in Michigan alone that were dropped from policies in our little State. Our Media needs to do more home work on this.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 6:55 PM, PaulSell wrote:

    Actually the Republicans are now just waiting for Barry & Company to work the kinks out of his legacy legislation OB☭M☭C☭RE ●! After all this isn't Dear Leader's just shuck and jive stuff, this is about millions of peoples lives. When

    OB☭M☭C☭RE ● smoothes out with the millions of lives it has disrupted, the Republicans promised to get right on immigration. Barry was quoted as saying," When I go out and say the "You like it you can keep it 's...for years and still as recently as the SOTU, constantly fudge my numbers and get 4 Pnocchios from the Washington Post the next day, I JUST CAN NOT UNDERSTAND WHY "YOU PEOPLE" STILL DON'T BELIEVE MY SHUCK & JIVE ANYMORE? I know you're all struggling and I want you to just think back about Christmas. It cost you taxpayers $800,000 to bring my main squeeze "Snuff Lip" back from her extended stay in Hawaii. Now, for you millennials: Welcome to YOUR OB☭M☭C☭RE ●! The Liberals that now have to survive re-election with that albatross hanging around their socialist necks, STILL have to convince you soft headed millennials into another suicide vote for them again. Maybe we, Barry & Company, can chat up Pot Legalization, minimum wage increase, and Income Inequality, while still avoiding your chances at even getting a job, we Dems are just going to encourage you into believing that the lying Dems are actually going to make your lives so much better."

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 7:41 PM, Arzkid1945 wrote:

    Retired, healthcare cost went up 15% for insurance.Today working on taxes. I have too lose $2241.00 in my medical deductions because rate went from 7.5% to 10%. Example< if you had medical expenses of $10,000 and income of $100,000 at old rate (7.5%) you reduce your medical expense by $7,500 leaving you with a $2,500 deduction. New (10%) give you a $10,000 reduction then your deduction is ZERO.

    Where is my cost saving the President promised?

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 7:56 PM, cbj wrote:

    Why are so many people still loyal to Obama? Political loyalty is impossible to understand and is the reason for the rise of Dictators. I have heard people say this, “Obama has to disobey the constitution in order get things done.” They forget that the constitution was designed so that it WOULD be hard to get things done to protect us from dictators.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 8:13 PM, jimwolf511 wrote:

    If I were a young American man or woman and barely starting out in life in the work place, the last thing I would look forward to is another lifetime of taxes through the ACA (Obamacare).. They will be saddled for the rest of their lives paying for the elderly, poor and unemployed.. If they decide not to participate, it will fail and it will be back to search for what you need, at what you can afford and not what Obama tells you to pay for..

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 8:53 PM, DevonShire123 wrote:

    10 actual facts you need to know:

    1--it's DESIGNED to bankrupt you

    2--it's DESIGNED to provide precisely no actual care

    3--It's illegal

    4--It's part of United Nations Agenda 21

    5--It was deliberately designed to fail

    6--It's the Media's job to create fake debates in order to distract people from the truth

    7--You will lose your doctor. It's inevitable

    8--You have been scammed

    9--Socialized medicine doesn't work

    10--You are all doomed

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 8:55 PM, annorytaxpayer wrote:

    I'm not signing up for it, Just going to pay the $95 mandate penalty and save thousands on premiums.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 9:05 PM, juanhunglow wrote:

    number 3 is because of number 2. uninsured have fallen and Medicaid had expanded. oh and the poor get it for free.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 10:03 PM, rogerzjones wrote:

    bad article be a liberal pig.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 10:07 PM, cod1865 wrote:

    So 3.3 million signed up for Obama care , But 5 million lost their insurance because of Obama care, you know, The insurance that Obama said you could keep if you like it. And 6.3 million deemed eligible is just that they might be eligible but that does not mean they are insured . So where did the plus number come from for the people insured???

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 10:16 PM, FormerOncologist wrote:

    The law is designed to fail. Twenty five hundred pages in the PPACA bill and more than twenty-thousand rules in the law; most aimed directly at insurance company and physician compliance. As Senate Majority leader Reed and Vice President Biden said on the day President Obama signed this travesty of a mockery of a sham into law: "This is the first step toward a single payer system". That single payer is, of course, the United States Government. Once the Democrats gain control of all three branches of Government, then the Democrats, and only the Democrats can change Obamacare to a single payer system. Then the Democrats and only the Democrats will decide who does and who doesn't receive medical care. This is Obama's communist dream, to rid the United States of America, and the world of Capitalism, and those who support Capitalism (Dreams of My Father). I saw this coming, which is why I retired from medicine in December of 2009.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 11:16 PM, dolfan1 wrote:

    One VERY misleading statistic! The claim that not enough 18-34 year olds are signing up. The ACA allows most children to stay on their parent's insurance till age 26. That alone takes quite a bite out of that statistic. How many 18-26 year olds are covered under their parent's insurance that have NO reason to enroll? If you use the number from 26-34 year old, I'm sure the percentage of that group NOT enrolling will be much lower.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 11:31 PM, JADEKRAPE wrote:

    3 million enrolled....of which how many are actually new Medicaid recipiants, and how many are ENROLLED by have not yet paid; and what is the percentage of healthy young enrollees.

  • Report this Comment On February 01, 2014, at 11:55 PM, alexanderbanning wrote:

    My wife & are both 63. Blue Cross says our plan is no longer available.

    The "new" plan will cost more than triple our current cost.

    The "new" plan will have a deductible that is 4x our current deductible.

    The "new" plan does NOT include dental or vision...something we had before.

    The bronze plan more than double our current cost. The out of pocket and deductibles are ridiculous.

    Why are more people not screaming about this? Why is the media not screaming about this?

    AND ... we get FREE maternity visits to my doc!

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 12:00 AM, JuliaRM wrote:

    I'm astounded that there are so many people who feel they shouldn't have to have health insurance...

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 2:32 AM, swami242 wrote:

    Okay so what are we gonna do? This is hurting America !!!!! If Hillary gets in I will literally sell my business and move to Mexico because then I will have no hope left.

    I want to see what investors see happening when people pay through this year and then have nothing left to buy durable goods, gifts,food........ The future is BEAR country!!!!!

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 7:14 AM, Antietam wrote:

    Anything remotely positive about Obamacare is negated by Barry's established self-legislating modifications. Nothing, I repeat NOTHING, is dependable about acquiring this health-scare plan.

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 7:35 AM, jrosiak2 wrote:

    I've never heard so many whiners in my life. The way that I see it is that they don't want to have to pay for healthcare insurance and they're scared to death that their taxes might go up as the ACA becomes more widespread.

    Almost all this talk about how much their insurance is going to cost is pure bs spewed out by a bunch of folks who can't do basic math.

    We live in SC which is a red state. Even here there are ads on the radio about how much people are saving on healthcare insurance with the ACA.

    I suggest that all you whiners who say that you're going to move out of the US go right ahead and leave.

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 8:24 AM, PapaTom wrote:

    10 Facts you need to know about Obamacare:

    1. It was forced on the people by the will of the government.

    2. The people do not want it.

    3. It will either fail or collapse our economy as the burden to fund it grows.

    4. Your taxes WILL go up.

    5. Your premium WILL go up.

    6. You can NOT keep your current plan.

    7. You can NOT keep your current doctor.

    8. We were lied to from the beginning and the lying continues.

    9. The crossovers from public plans to medicare should not be factored into the equation.

    10. Welcome to the Union of Socialist America!

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 8:26 AM, gpo1913 wrote:

    "Obamacare enrollments are still running behind schedule, as the agency had forecast 3.3 million enrollees by the end of December. However, momentum is currently undeniable with more than 2.6 million people signing up for health insurance between Dec. 1 and Jan. 24."That hasn't even met the number or people who have lost their insurance (6.2 million) due to being FORCED to take things they don't need.

    This makes perfect sense, EXCHANGE " 6.3 million have been deemed eligible for Medicaid or CHIP coverage", who don't pay for 6.2 million who lost their insurance, who did pay. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTIRE?

    Another thing, a GOOD product shouldn't have to be FORCED on people to SURVIVE.

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 8:43 AM, gpo1913 wrote:

    jrosiak2, somebody is lying to you. How does people losing their personal insurance (6.2 MILLION) ,suited for them, paying more deductible (out of pocket, $5000 etc) and more premium with less coverage or coverage they don't need, CHEAPER?

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 8:56 AM, lindap wrote:

    jrosiak2- You say "there are ads on the radio about how much people are saving on healthcare insurance with the ACA". Really? Did you even consider 1) Why they need to advertise a produce that you must purchase or pay a fine? 2) That YOU are paying for those ads?

    Have you ever heard of subversion?

    Subversion refers to an attempt to transform the established social order and its structures of power, authority, and hierarchy. Subversion (Latin subvertere: overthrow) refers to a process by which the values and principles of a system in place, are contradicted or reversed *. More specifically, subversion can be described as an attack on the public morale and, “the will to resist intervention are the products of combined political and social or class loyalties which are usually attached to national symbols. Following penetration, and parallel with the forced disintegration of political and social institutions of the state, these loyalties may be detached and transferred to the political or ideological cause of the aggressor”.[1] Subversion is used as a tool to achieve political goals because it generally carries less risk, cost, and difficulty as opposed to open belligerency.

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 9:21 AM, bareassmeagain wrote:

    Just by pooling these comments it appears 92% appose Obama care.

    The purpus of todays media is to eliminate opposition of Obama. And these Yahoo hacks are leading the charge !

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 9:29 AM, sjcark wrote:

    "Enrolled in Obamacare" is a deceptive number that tells how many have subjected themselves to the lack of privacy and plugged their information into the healthcare website. It does not tell us how many have actually purchased and received coverage which, by the way, you can't do through the website. And yes, our whole company's insurance was terminated because of the law and we are unable to find an affordable replacement. Most of us qualify financially for the subsidy, but we are denied access because we MUST take the unaffordable option of enrolling under spouses who are not allowed to leave their plans to get the subsidy they qualify for financially.

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 9:43 AM, angelsgiggle wrote:

    I got onto the exchange and bought insurance (gold plan) so fast your head would spin. With United Health telling me my premiums would go to $630 a month because of all the people who DONT have insurance and file bankruptsy thereby raising hospital rates/insurance premiums.....I ran not walked into the governments new plans.

    I now have a $1750 deductible vs a $5000 deductible. I have a $284.84 monthly premium vs $630. I have a $5 copay instead of a $35 copay to see the doctor.

    I think insurance should be mandatory (just like car insurance) and you should not be admitted to a hospital or doctors office if you don't have an insurance card in your hand ....... it's stealing (and should be prosecuted as such) from the doctor, hospital, and the rest of the good and responsible Americans for people to be treated with no intent of paying or allowing them service and they file bankruptcy.....take their houses if need be...they had every opportunity to purchase insurance....even the bronze plans are better than nothing. These irresponsible people called their own shot so let sit home and nurse themselves. These ignorant people raise everyone else's rates and cost our country so much money.

    No problem turning them away....they didn't NEED insurance...remember?

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 9:56 AM, slik2o2 wrote:

    Why am I forced to have health insurance? Why do I have to pay a penalty fee for not having health insurance? Why do they have the right to force something like that on me and then penalize me with a fee if I don't comply?

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 9:58 AM, jasjfarrell wrote:

    The government should not be in the health insurance business. They can't run anything. Have signups actually paid a premium yet?

    All of your disposable income now goes for health insurance premiums.

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 10:20 AM, sabebrush6 wrote:

    #1. of that 3 million that signed up, almost no one has paid for anything.

    #2. The 6.3 million Medicaid enrollee's is the highest in history & will paid for by those being forced by the gov't to buy their own ins. also.

    #3. That 1.2% drop in uninsured rate is because of the Medicaid enrollee's.

    #4. The Gold and Platinum plans are soooo expensive with the copay, only the wealthy can afford them

    #5. Young adults have pretty much said screw Obamacare's UCA - Unaffordable Care Act.

    #6. Pretty much everyone thinks it's a joke. It's like a bad dream.

    #7. Almost everybody hates Obamacare just like they hated Lenin. Same/same.

    #8. State exchanges are a POS also. They have idiots working there with half of them criminal backgrounds.

    #9. The CGI Group is only the first to do a total collaps. More to come.

    #10. The PPUCA's floating deadlines is as bogus as the rest of his failures and Obama himself.

    #11. Even the Democrats are starting to turn on Obama & his UCA (Unafordable Care Act).

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 10:22 AM, SLTom992 wrote:

    And if there's no problems with this law how come every scam artist in the world is sending out these Obama-care emails with "Press Here" buttons to which you would hand over ALL of your personal information?

    Why are these people not being policed and jailed?

    Oh, that's right, there's no money for that.

    Or maybe those crooks aren't on welfare so we'll let them be.

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 10:51 AM, sogole wrote:

    Believe this will not end well.

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 11:13 AM, WordDog wrote:

    Obamacare is saving me quite a bit of money, plus the policy is somewhat better than the one I had before and has my primary-care physician in-network, which was not the case with my previous plan. Everyone's situation is going to be a little different, but I suspect mine is more typical than the horror stories that get all the attention. I've been buying my own insurance for years, and this is a significant improvement over the past -- at least, once they got the exchange problems straightened out.

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 11:15 AM, WordDog wrote:

    jasfarrell: I've paid two premiums now, both to a private insurance company. This isn't Medicare, which would be an example of the government being in the insurance business.

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 11:20 AM, WordDog wrote:

    sjclark: I can't think of anything I entered on the site that the government doesn't already know. Confused about your situation. It would cost you more to be included in your spouse's employer-sponsored plan than to buy an equivalent individual policy?

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 11:21 AM, tami4au wrote:

    Take out the numbers for medicaid qualifiers. 20 plus states opted out of it. People may qualify, but still have no access. They fall through all the cracks in this crazy law. Not enough income to pay for insurance even if they could get the subsidy. I live in a state that opted out of medicaid. In addition the state has cut funding for it. Only 2 companies are serving my state for insurance which greatly increaes the cost of insurance because there is no competition. This law is a joke and will do nothing but hurt this nation.

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 12:16 PM, PesoBob wrote:

    Question that need answering:

    1). If 50% to 70% percent of people are opposed to it why is it being implemented with out changes?

    2) why was it passed with out reading it and debating it?

    3) If it is the law of the land why are certainly groups being picked to receive advantages and others are not (such as union Cadillac plans)?

    4) Why was CGI a Canadien firm given the no bid contract while millions of Americans were unemployed?

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 12:29 PM, RickLV wrote:

    I have ONE FACT you need to know;

    socialism NEVER works. Democrats mandated Obamacare under IRS penalty because without young healthy people signing up, it CANNOT sustain itself. Relying on "other people's money" for your well being ALWAYS ENDS IN DISASTER.

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 12:34 PM, RickLV wrote:

    Democrats are IGNORANT DO-GOODERS. They act BEFORE they think, and their social justice policies usually end in disaster. Whether it's the electric car; mandated before it's viable, or Ebonics, welfare, affirmative action, Obamacare.. ALL FAILURES. Democrats do not understand how America functions.

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 12:42 PM, osirisjon wrote:

    @ angelsgiggle Hard to believe you can afford the 284.84 on your 20 hour a week JC Penney salary as you wrote in your other comments. A single parent person cannot afford Obama care premiums on 20 hour work weeks even @ $10 hr pay rate and pay for rent, utilities, car insur. food & gas and basic essentials. So, either you have a sugar daddy or you're telling some fairytale here. Also Obama care deductible depends on your age group and although I'm healthy and over 50 without any medical problems I still cannot afford the $5000. deductible for my age group in my state. They should prosecute people who live in America then and want Socialism,

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 2:08 PM, pallmall wrote:

    Like obummer its f-up !

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 2:12 PM, kmmalone wrote:

    What these comments tell me is... we need better public education. All the information on historical insurance costs are readily available on the web (AHIP Web Site). The average premium in 2009 for a family of 3 (all ages was) $6,328. For a couple 63 years old, the premium was $9,952. The cost of a family plan with a 1,000 deductible was $7,887. The comments stating that insurance costs have tripled etc...are just not credible.

    When comparing insurance plans you need to look at the actuarial value. here is a link:

    www.cms.gov/.../av-calculator-final.xlsm‎

    You can look at any policy and determines it value...in regards to what you pay for versus the insurance company etc.

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 2:12 PM, ISHKANOTA wrote:

    about the first 3 facts--

    3 miilion enrolled insurance companys reported 20 to 30 % have not paid.

    6.3 million for medicaid- most of these people were already elible 4 medicaid before obamacare

    uninsured rate dropped- maybe they should have counted the 6 million canceled plans into the equation- or actually got numbers from the insurance companys.

  • Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 2:35 PM, pallmall wrote:

    like Obama screwed up !

Add your comment.

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2817957, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 12/19/2014 3:10:47 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...


Advertisement