The Long-Term Unemployment Crisis Is Out of Control

In his recent State of the Union address, President Obama underscored the plight of the long-term unemployed, entreating Congress to renew the now-expired emergency unemployment benefits that expired at the end of December. In addition, he has persuaded 300 large U.S. corporations to sign a pledge stating that they will not discriminate against the long-term unemployed in their hiring practices.

That's swell, but this issue can't be fixed quite so easily and is quickly reaching crisis proportions. As time goes on, the stigma of being without a job for more than 27 weeks is affecting more people, creating a vast pool of former workers that seem to have become "unemployable."

Kiss of death
While it's unclear why people who have experienced unemployment for more than six months have become workplace pariahs, what is clear is that this problem is growing. A recent CareerBuilder study of 300 people unemployed for at least 12 months found that 30% said that they had not had a job interview in that span of time. It's not for lack of trying: 44% said they search for work daily, while 43% look each week.

Of the 10.4 million unemployed people in December, 3.9 million are categorized as long-term unemployed. That's nearly 38% of the total, and 15 states have percentages well above that ratio. Disturbingly, the majority of the long-term jobless come from the wholesale and retail trade -- which, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, added an average of 32,000 jobs per month in 2013. By comparison, the expanding health-care sector added a measly 17,000 monthly jobs to the economy last year.

Far-reaching effects
The immediate effects of long-term unemployment are personal, and harsh. Of those responding to the CareerBuilder study, 25% reported not having enough money to buy food, and an equal proportion said their situation has added undue stress to their personal relationships. Ten percent acknowledged losing their home because of their lack of employment.

The long-term unemployed are unable to contribute to the economy, which is undoubtedly slowing the nation's recovery from the Great Recession. For example, the recent expiration of extended jobless benefits -- in which 1.3 million people were dropped from the unemployment rolls -- is said to have already cost state economies $1.76 billion. The horizon looks equally cloudy, as people without income obviously won't be investing for their future, or the future of their children.

What can be done?
Long-term unemployment is a complicated issue and will likely need multiple endeavors to make a dent in the problem. Reviving the emergency benefits program will help in the short term, but more permanent fixes are needed.

In his address to the nation, President Obama spoke about the Joining Forces program, which has prompted companies to train or hire hundreds of thousands of veterans. Additionally, Vice President Joe Biden has been charged with reforming job training programs for young people -- many of whom also number among the long-term unemployed.

A dedicated program in each state just for those who have faced joblessness for six months or more could also provide a boost. Forty-five percent of the respondents in the CareerBuilder survey felt that their job skills needed updating -- particularly technology skills, where 56% admitted feeling rusty.

Most problems respond best when tackled head-on. Why should long-term unemployment be any different?

Looking to secure your own future?
Whether saving through an employer or on your own, the best investment strategy is to buy shares in solid businesses and keep them for the long term. In the special free report "3 Stocks That Will Help You Retire Rich," The Motley Fool shares investment ideas and strategies that could help you build wealth for years to come. Click here to grab your free copy today.

• Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 10:56 PM, oldmutt1949 wrote:

Maybe if we stopped the war on business with all the class action law suits and stiffing regulatory policies more people would be willing to invest their money, intellectual properties and work the 80 to 100 hours a week to create profitable enterprises and hire the unemployed.

It's easy to talk about income distribution but what about equality in contribution of the above?

• Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 10:59 PM, kgc3a wrote:

Obama wants to solve the long term unemployed problem and raise minimum wage. I don't think those two things are compatible. If you raise minimum wage, employers will be more selective and don't want to take a chance on someone who is a long term unemployed. It will also cause employers to hire fewer employees.

• Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 11:02 PM, mmajikk wrote:

The inevitable downward spiral for millions of American's who have found themselves out of work out of no fault of their own is in absolute free fall. Last May I found myself applying for unemployment benefits having been fired by Zion Lutheran Church of New Hartford out of retaliation for bringing to their attention a legitimate concern that while I was hired as a part time Sexton, I was not being paid adequately for the actual role and position that was required., but I was required to be the Building and Grounds Supervisor. Zion Lutheran fought my claim for six months by providing false and misleading information to the NYS Dept of Labor. I was rejected in my initial bid, so I had to get a lawyer just to fight for what I am entitled. Lawyer, Jay Williams III takes on the case pro bono and makes me feel like I have a chance. We lose our appeal and I'm ready to give up. My lawyer sends in another appeal and on December 12, 2013, six months after my initial claim I am finally approved. Since it has been six months, I receive my yearly limit of 26 weeks. I'm happy as can be although I shouldn't have had to wait or to pay a lawyer to get what I was entitled to all along. My lawyer avoids telling me that they can still appeal the appeal and it can be reversed again. Now, two months after my claim was approved, Zion Lutheran is still finding ways to appeal my case and turn it into endless litigation and yesterday my lawyer sends me a bill for $1500, the case is still open and very vulnerable to reversal since NYS and all state governments are manipulating the system to keep and to push people on unemployment into endless debt. The lawyer will end up taking everything or NYS will want it back. Our own government and legal system is preying upon and the jobless.

• Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 11:04 PM, mmajikk wrote:

The inevitable downward spiral for millions of American's who have found themselves out of work out of no fault of their own is in absolute free fall. Last May I found myself applying for unemployment benefits having been fired by Zion Lutheran Church of New Hartford out of retaliation for bringing to their attention a legitimate concern that while I was hired as a part time Sexton, I was not being paid adequately for the actual role and position of Building and Grounds Supervisor. Zion Lutheran fought my claim for six months by providing false and misleading information to the NYS Dept of Labor. I was rejected in my initial bid, so I had to get a lawyer just to fight for what I am entitled. Lawyer, Jay Williams III takes on the case pro bono and makes me feel like I have a chance. We lose our appeal and I'm ready to give up. My lawyer sends in another appeal and on December 12, 2013, six months after my initial claim I am finally approved. Since it has been six months, I receive my yearly limit of 26 weeks. I'm happy as can be although I shouldn't have had to wait or to pay a lawyer to get what I was entitled to all along. My lawyer avoids telling me that they can still appeal the appeal and it can be reversed again. Now, two months after my claim was approved, Zion Lutheran is still finding ways to appeal my case and turn it into endless litigation and yesterday my lawyer sends me a bill for $1500, the case is still open and very vulnerable to reversal since NYS and all state governments are manipulating the system to keep and to push people on unemployment into endless debt. The lawyer will end up taking everything or NYS will want it back. Our own government and legal system is preying upon and the jobless.

• Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 11:12 PM, kennyhobo wrote:

Until the mainstream news media holds Democrats accountable for their incompetent economic policy, the poor and the middle class will suffer. What more proof is needed than 5 years of failure? 5 years of corruption?

• Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 11:16 PM, geno9292 wrote:

Pass all the laws you want companies don't listen to them because you can't prove crap. Like age discrimination, they don't have to hire you if they don't want and you can't prove it. The feeling is if your unemployed that long there must be a reason. As far as training, it better be for a simple trade that one can switch to and learn fast. People need jobs now. More technical training which takes longer will get you nowhere because in these areas companies want experience. We are only kidding ourselves if we think everyone is going to retool themselves into a highly skilled job and make the big bucks. It just isn't reality.

• Report this Comment On February 02, 2014, at 11:35 PM, Jasaus wrote:

How soon you forget it was republican policies that got us into this mess to begin with.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 12:12 AM, Bethh137 wrote:

Let's get real - no mater what Obama has these companies sign regarding discrimination against the older and long-term unemployed, it's not going to help. You must prove the discrimination, which is next to impossible. All the hiring manager has to say is that "we found a candidate more suited for the position and our working environment".

And the reason is NOT unclear, as this article states. Employers don't want to hire anybody who has been out of work for an extended period of time because they feel that a) there must be a reason nobody else wanted them, or that b) they must've been milking the unemployment benefits as long as they could. Whether either of these reasons are true or not, you're considered a liability to them.

That said, you need to be ready to completely restructure your life now. Learn a new trade in a marketable field (leave the useless Liberal Arts degrees and Medical Assisting certificate programs alone - that's where everybody is going and there are not enough decent jobs there either, trust me). Or, suck it up and accept that you will have to settle for lower wages and standard of living in a lesser job than what you had before. It's reality now.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 12:19 AM, PEGformula wrote:

The answers are on the 40-page site: proposedsolutions. The longer Congress and the president ignore what has been given to them over three years ago will just make it worse. The Federal Reserve was allowed to ruin us immensely and these two branches of government allowed it. It may require the public to push the solutions onto them as they seem to not want to do what is required for economic prosperity.

Read and study the site then push it on your FAILED, OVERPAID leaders before it's too late.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 12:43 AM, wheaton200320 wrote:

I just want to say that I see 25-30 people come in to my office a day that are on unemployment. I offer them a job and they never show up the next day. Every once in a while I will get someone back and they will end up staying. You see I run a door to door marketing company in Ohio, now I don't sell anything we simply train people to help people save money on their bills and we get paid by companies to do so. My average rep makes 1200-1500 per week, but for some reason these people do not want to stay. Lately people who come in for interviews have been asking me to sign a paper saying they came in for an interview. I found out that, they need that paper to stay on unemployment. I have the ability to hire the entire state of Ohio's unemployed, and have offered jobs to over 400 people all of whom have turned it down. So blame people for being lazy not that fact that their are no jobs out there. I know for a fact that there are over 150 door to door marketing companies that pay more than unemployment but people are just scared to take the step. What do you guys think?

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 1:20 AM, 1kenodave1 wrote:

The republicans answer is to abolish the minimum wage which will take many out of the unemployed. The problem is they will be working for subservient wages. The new indentured servants.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 1:22 AM, NotSoSirius wrote:

As an employer, I can tell you why I won't hire anyone that's long term unemployed. My reasoning is this, I know there are PLENTY of jobs out there that pay $9 to $10 per hour. At least that's the case in the city where I live. When someone choose to take the $300/week in unemployment benefit for the 99 weeks that Obama is giving out, it tells me they are ok with taking advantage of others and that they are lazier than others who are working at service related jobs that easily pay them $300 to $400 a week. So if I ever see a person that have a gap in employment for longer than 26 weeks, I toss their application/resume into the trash can. Remember that when you feel you are too good for a $9 or $10/hour job that you are willing to take advantage of other hardworking people by staying on unemployment for extended period of time.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 1:24 AM, oneofthemasses wrote:

Welcome to free trade. Ross Perot warned us we would lose jobs over seas. We can't compete with slave wages and no corporate taxes. Throw in wacko environmentalism, over the top regulations Constant attacks on our resource developments. The fact globalist elitist have openly stated they want to crash us in order to bring in a new world order sends chills down my spine. To fix it we need to end the federal reserve and have our government run it. Arrest and kick out the corrupt. Reset the regulations that prevented this problem in the first place. Has this been done before? Remember Iceland. They are recovering vary well.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 1:35 AM, Lauren1961 wrote:

This issue becomes an insidious cycle for Americans. First you're out of work due to lack of available jobs, and then when things change, you apply for one to only be viewed as a "risk" because you've been out of work for too long. That's a real self-esteem booster, isn't it? I don't think keeping people on unemployment benefits for long periods of time is the answer. Our government needs to offer some type of incentive to employers to bring these people back on to the labor force. Workshops to help give these people an upper hand in submitting resumes to cover the long absence would help also.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 2:42 AM, StockBeast wrote:

Did Amanda Alix never study history? It took 13 years to fully recover from the last worldwide banking depression ... 13 years .. and we had higher than normal unemployment for 11 of those 13 years ..

People learned from the 1920-30s recover .. we made ii back faster now .. We cut it from 11 to 5 .. for a worldwide banking depression ..

Sure it is not full employment of 5% .. but the expected recovery time is not over .. the timeline said 2018 at the earliest for 5% full employment ..

We will get there but we can't snap our fingers and make the time go faster .. so we don't feel the pain of the 2008 banking depression .. that is little kid thinking ...

We've regain most of what we lost .. however we haven't seen new industry growth to warrant hiring the mid level white collar jobs yet .. that comes with NEW GROWTH which was not expected begin until 2017 .. then 5% full employment again 18 months after that ..

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 3:26 AM, RMengineer wrote:

Jassaus - Really? Republican policies? I was not aware that the "home ownership for everyone" that led _directly_ to the real-estate crash.Was a republican program? As I understand it, Barney Frank and Chris Dodd - _architects_ of the program of mortgage securitization at Fannie and Freddie were Democrats. And there were plenty of people who _warned_ that would cause exactly what happened.

geno9292 - as for training - what _matters_ is that it is training for the skills for jobs that _actually exist_. Any training given for non-existent jobs is pointless. That is, you have to look at the kinds of jobs that exist, look at the skills and training required to be qualified to do those jobs - THAT is the training that has to be given. And it takes what it takes. You say people need jobs now and they don't have time to wait for training programs that take a long period of time? What is that's what it takes? What good would it do to say "well, we don't have time to train people for the jobs that exist so in the interest of time we'll provide training for jobs that don't exist" How exactly would that be helpful? Just saying - the training has to be for jobs that exist and it takes what it takes time-wise.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 3:51 AM, denise48 wrote:

It would help if companies would be open to transform a person's education to a versatile way of using their existing education and experience and reinventing oneself, such as with an AA degree in Human Health Services to apply to a preschool teaching position without having to get that extra education. This is of course one example, but if say one would be qualified in teaching English lit but would like to instead teach History, I believe that they should qualify without having to go back to school.

I have eight years of college after high school and cannot find a place that it would fit or accepted for various reasons. If I were to continue my education I would add to my school debt which I have not been able to pay off without working. Some flexibility would be so appreciated.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 4:43 AM, SCDuffer wrote:

In the past, companies would hire individual's from other professional backgrounds. An unemployed worker could change careers and still find a good job. That rarely happens, today. Even if the unemployed return to college, HR will tell them they have no experience in that job. They aren't given a chance to show what they know, or the work they can do. This has led to the long-term unemployment crisis. Personnel Managers, 30 years ago, thought outside the box. Today's HR wants a textbook example for every position ... only specific degrees ... experience specific to that job, etc. That may be necessary for a few things, but NOT all!

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 5:12 AM, IndVoter008 wrote:

The responsibility of the U.S. Congress and the White House, both Republicans and Democrats, in protecting the country is not limited to the defense from foreign military and terrorists aggression. They are also responsible for maintaining the economic superiority of the United States of America which they failed miserably. They allowed themselves to be bought by Corporate America and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce lock, stock and barrel who then dictated the trade policy of the U.S.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce dictates the trade policy of the U.S. with only corporate profit in mind with total disregard in maintaining the economic and military superiority of the U.S.A. Corporate America and the Chamber gave away the economic, research, technological and manufacturing advantage of the country mostly to Communist China. Advantages with multiple applications; commercial, space and military. To boot Corporate America provided training of Chinese engineers and technicians high-tech training in electronics, aerospace, heavy equipment, etc. The catalyst of these is the U.S. Congress' recognition of Communist China as a Permanent Normal Trade Relation (PNTR CC) nation in 2000 signed by then president Clinton. PNTR CC is not a free trade agreement but a unilateral action by the U.S. Congress without reciprocation from the Communist Chinese.

NAFTA and other free trade agreements and the U.S. Congress' recognition as PNTR CC drastically lowering import tariffs from 46% to 6% on Chinese made consumer goods. PNTR CC allowed Corporate America and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce to move manufacturing and supply chain operation to Communist China and export the finished goods back to the U.S. at a very low import tax creating massive unemployment in the U.S. I know that Clinton signed PNTR CC but the U.S. Congress is responsible for the country's trade policy and they are responsible in ratifying trade agreements.

One of the major negative effects of outsourcing of manufacturing and supply chain jobs to Communist China is the massive budget deficit at the Federal, State and Local governments. Outsourcing gutted the import, individual and business tax base. Coupled that with the three tax cuts and two unfunded wars here we are with about 17 trillion dollars in budget deficit and drastically reduced funding of Social Security and Medicare.

Corporate America and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce with the help of the U.S. Congress, White House and the American people are instrumental in the build-up of the Communist Chinese military and space program both in terms of funds and technology.

Economic and manufacturing superiority are the prerequisites to military superiority, guess what that foretells.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 5:29 AM, hollywoodlafl wrote:

I thought by raising the M/W and forcing business to cover their employees with O'Bummer Unaffordable health care, would put a MAJOR DENT in this (supposed) recovery.

I don't live in the richest of neighborhoods, but I'm seeing a lot of desperation here. Crime is on the rise, meaning that people are becoming desperate.

There are very slim pickings for jobs, in the Ft. Myers area. People where I live are trying to live day by day.

If we don't put our politicians feet to the fire, EXAMPLE: "WAR CRIMES" by elected officials in the Bush administration; getting us into this bogus war on LIES, and having "NO-BID Contracts" so you can profit from a war using your previous employer, "Halliburton" and reaping the rewards, off of our dead soldiers backs, will continue.

Banks nearly CRIPPLED the US & World markets, due to Corruption.

Corruption will be the undoings of Capitalism.

Remember that.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 6:42 AM, Ostrowsr wrote:

It ain't rocket science, but you would think it was. Give a man a job with dignity and the means to buy a small starter home where he can feel safe.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 7:04 AM, PastToTheFuture wrote:

Interesting in so many ways... Including that the Fool and others are taking notice of this fairly promptly and recognizing the problem. The comments are thoughtful, except for a couple political shills.

I notice that though the article says the problem is most pronounced in wholesale and retail trade, no one mentions online sales as a problem.

Now I could say that the problem is automation as the internet is the biggest piece of automation that exists currently, but that might obscure the real problem. So what is the problem? ... Oh yah, it's going to get worse. I read elsewhere that we are going to lose 280 million white collar jobs in the next decade to office automation. Maybe that's drastic, but it shows a direction and it ain't good. Manufacturing is moving to America...Good. Because automation is making it cheaper than Asian labor... Bad. So is that problem automation? Hey, you can replace a person with a machine. Whoops, that shows that automation is not the only problem, the social contract is broken when an employee is no longer needed...

Well, really automation is only one problem, though one of the toughest to solve. What is the problem? An employee sees it one way, an employer sees it another. A Politician sees it one way, an economist, entrapenuer, preacher, scientist, teacher, parent and child all see it another. It is change, but how can all these views of change be brought together so that it can be understood as one problem to solve? If I can find a publisher, I'll tell Y'all

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 7:51 AM, patsaxon wrote:

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 7:54 AM, PEGformula wrote:

Go read the 40-page site: proposedsolutons and start doing something about it. Posting here alone is ineffective.

Push Congress and the president to take the steps required to promote economic prosperity.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 8:50 AM, Cody700 wrote:

Are all of the Obama supporters ready to admit that he does NOT have a clue what he is doing? If you can't see it by now, there is little to no hope for you. Obama is NOT qualified to be POTUS, and his record clearly exposes this.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 8:53 AM, MariliiMarilii wrote:

One person posted that he/she could hire the whole state of Ohio if folks want to do door to door sales.

With crime on the rise, door to door sales, especially for women, seems dangerous. I know a lot of people who would never do it because anyone could grab you, sic a dog on you, etc.

You could disappear without a trace. You're unprotected and at the mercy of the person who opens the door to see what you want.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 9:32 AM, bobthegoodone wrote:

Seems to me all these free trade agreements , like NAFTA have sucked millions of jobs out of this country , the lack of enforcement of our current immigration laws has done the rest . NO ONE IN CONGRESS GIVES A DAMN ABOUT THE AMERICAN PUBLIC , THEIR MASTERS BIG BUSINESS OWN THEM

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 9:37 AM, marke54805 wrote:

Invest in people, not paper. (shut the markets down for 10 years or more - everybody take yer momey and go home!)

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 9:39 AM, marke54805 wrote:

Invest in people, not paper. (shut the markets down for 10 years or more - everybody take yer money and go home!)

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 10:12 AM, rangerchuck wrote:

Businesses are not stupid. Profits and efficiency are up, cost are down. They are learning to make thing and to do things with less people. The present tax and regulation climate are such that business do not want to add full time people. The problem is the government not business.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 10:15 AM, Cerberus82 wrote:

Get rid of the illegal immigrants no matter what we have to do! Stop selling our country to foreign bodies! Stop paying foreigners to come here to "learn"! Stop treating the American people like a pile of dog crap being scraped off of a shoe!!!

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 10:22 AM, rreinhard wrote:

Some of these comments are a real hoot. I really like the door to door sales position that states that they could hire all the unemployed in Ohio.

First, going door to door means that you are selling something, which is hard if the people you are selling to don't have money to begin with.

Second, randomly knocking on some strangers door, particularity in Ohio, seems like a really bad idea.

Third, of course there would be no way to develop a budget as your weekly earnings would fluctuate radically dependent on you commission rate.

Job security, well forget about that, as the competition in more affluent communities would be cut throat.

Recently I interviewed for a job, door to door, selling cutlery. The first thing they required was to approach every person you knew and attempt to get them to purchase new kitchen ware. This would be after you were forced to purchase your initial starter package of cutlery. Next, you were expected to obtain 2 to 3 names of people from every person you attempted to sell these products to, and then phone these new folks to setup appointments to try to get them to purchase your products.

No products were being created, and all your pay was dependent on marking up items that you had already purchased. That's really building up a sustainable economy (not).

Now lets look at selling insurance, another door to door operation.

First, the company requires you to attend their training and certifying license course, which you are expected to pay for up front.

Next, you get to cold call people in an attempt to get them to purchase life, health, home owners insurance or what ever.

Again, consistent pay, not so much. Producing a tangible product, again not. Pyramid scheme, you bet.

If this is the direction of the new economy, well things don't look to good (that means really, really bad).

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 10:44 AM, nels59 wrote:

I have been out of work for 5 years, I'm dead as far as "Real Stats" go according to the U.S. Government except of course when they want un-paid taxes, then I'm alive and well, the REAL Un-employment rate is still around 20% and they know it but continue to give out false figures. Only interviews I have got is to meet their "Tax-Break" for interviewing people over 50 by big companies like Macy's/Wal-Mart etc...When my dad dies I have to go into a bank and pretend to rob it for I can go to jail to get shelter and get feed, but I'm white will that count as a real stat.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 11:13 AM, SLTom992 wrote:

On the one hand the government tells us that unemployment is falling. On the other hand we're being told that there are more unemployed than at any time since the great depression.

And we're not supposed to reach the conclusion that the government is lying through it's teeth.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 11:22 AM, whatnow wrote:

for all of you "so called" employers offering 9 dollars an hour. would you seriously work for that when unemployment pays more? 0 wear and tear on your car, 0 traffic hassles, and more money?

Get a clue

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 11:34 AM, pensive wrote:

Some people think that you should take whatever job you can - even if it pays $10 an hour or even minimum wage. Just imagine a typical American family with, say, two kids, and a mortgage to pay. Let's say your still employed spouse makes about $32,000 (about the average over age 25 with an AA degree). When you add the cost of living in the U.S. - $58,000 according to one stat - consisting of two parents and three kids, it's barely enough to get by. If you live in an area with a higher cost of living, good luck getting by - unless you're blessed with a very supportive (and charitable) extended family who can help you financially through the tough times. I suppose you could also get by with food stamps - which would again put you in the government dole. So...it's not always simple or easy to "just get any job." Now, I'm not saying taking minimum wage or some other unappealing job is not worth it for some; it's just not for everyone. Everyone's circumstance is different; but you can't judge people negatively just because they refuse to take a certain one. And if you think taking a $10 an hour job is better than going on unemployment, then maybe you should try living it out for a year.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 11:53 AM, Polivares wrote:

I will make it short to read!

There are jobs out there!

A person needs to reinvent themselves to change careers! I did! A person must have a great resume! Going to a college for training at 45 years or 55 is okay! I am 66 years old and working! I have a BA, MA, K-12 teaching Credentials, Have been trained in acting , Voice Over Acting, music writing and screenwriting...I still have more on my resume...By the way I have three different kinds of resumes depending on the jobs I am seeking. You can find a job!

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 11:58 AM, southernstar09 wrote:

Try 34 months.. Two interviews in this time frame. And THE MAGIC 6.7%, WOW, EVERYBODY KNOWS THE NUMBERS DO NOT COUNT EVERYBODY INVOLVED, TRY LITTLE OVER 20% UMEMPLOYMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS A LOT WORSE THAN ANYONE WANTS OR CARES TO ADMIT. UNITED STATES WORSE ENEMIES COULD NOT DO A BETTER JOB!!!!!!!

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 12:53 PM, utkinpol wrote:

Obama`s regime is built on multiple levels of lies.

I live in a mostly blue collar 'hood. 6.7% unemployment? What about 50%? People are trying to survive in this 'made in China' world but what are they supposed to do?

Administration will continue to push for South America treaties to move as many jobs out of USA as possible. They do not care and are not interested to know what does it do to a local workforce. Their political actions are controlled by those who financed their campaigns and they will continue to push in that direction until USA gets bankrupt.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 12:57 PM, Albert0Knox wrote:

Remember when everybody was saying "paradigm shift?" Well, it happened. my company today does far more business with few additional employees. We have all learned efficiencies. The bottom line is that business does not need as many employees as we used to.

Remember when people said "Income inequality will lead to a shrinking middle class?" They were right. the momentum of the market for labor has changed and a long bull market continues. Nobody owes you a job. Obama can't invent a job for you. Those who sit and wait for something to come along are not people I or anyone else wants to hire.

Remember when people said "Trickle down economics will raise workers standard of living?" I'm afraid that one turned out not to be true.. If you aren't an entrepreneur or weren't born into wealth you can expect to live a life less better off than your parents. Sorry, but you voted for it. votes have consequences.

So welcome to the new normal. If things are to get better for you it is because you did it yourself.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 1:00 PM, Michaelnel4449 wrote:

Let me see now.... every living President supports NAFTA and with the help of the US Congress they have moved MILLIONS of jobs out of the USA to countries that pay a fraction of our minimum wage. Many of these same politicians have tried to KILL worker's unions here at home and to this day fight an increase in minimum wage. Many or most of these same politicians receive huge amounts of money to keep those changes in place as it increases their profits by the millions each year. So for the last 30-40 yrs our own government with the help and money provided by big business and corporations, they have made sure the poor and middle class lose more and more over time.

I have to wonder who our real enemies are?

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 2:40 PM, StockBeast wrote:

RMengineer ...

You are DEAD WRONG .. the mortgage crisis did NOT cause the economy to turn south .. the deregulation of the DERIVATIVE market did ..

1) Dodd and Frank based their opinions on what the Bush appointed Fannie-Freddie special regulator told them

2) Republicans controlled both houses of congress (2001-2007) and the presidency (2001-2009) when the mortgage crisis happened

Even if they raised a concern Dodd and Frank they could not have done anything themselves.

Republicans who lead all of the oversight committees .. you know .. the committees that would have looked into this S .. Republicans would have had to do something about Fannie-Freddie but they didn't ... why? the Bush specially appointed Fannie-Freddie regulator said everything was fine ..

3) The govt could have absorbed the mortgage crisis as they did in the early 1990s .. it was only about 200 billion ..

4) What president loosened the lending rules to allow interest only loans? BUSH ...

5) The deregulation of the derivative market caused a worldwide banking depression when the banks could not cover their positions ..

Who deregulated the derivative market? Former Texas republican Phil Gramm PhD Economics .. that's who ..

Good ole Phil was owned by the banks .. so much so that he would not bring the CFMA to the floor for a vote in the Senate if he did not have an amendment that banned the govt from regulating the derivative market ..

Your Fox News Plantation propaganda has been crushed ..

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 2:44 PM, StockBeast wrote:

Fox News Plantation ...

the REAL unemployment rate Is 6.7% .. DEAL

The fact is that were are in only year 5 of a 10 year recovery process from a worldwide banking depression ..

Grow the F#$#$ Up .. you can't snap your fingers to make it go away .. it took 13 years in the 1920-30s

Bush should have told you this in late 2008 .. but he wasn't man enough

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 3:02 PM, yakimaland wrote:

THIS IS THE ANSWER::::::

Get rid of the Federal Reserve that is draining the country in interest payments. Print U.S. notes that are back by silver. take the interest and pay down the debit. Then start building schools, hospital, roads, trains systems, and have a good alternative power program.

Don't believe this is the answer. Kennedy was that last person to try to get rid of the Federal Reserve. Look up excutive order 11110 read it. We all know what happen to him. Also go to;

Arron Russo;s Freedom to fascism part 1 on You Tube.

The Federal Reserve actof 1913 was passed on Christmas Break when sentors were home with their families. Willson made speach 6 years later aplogizing for his mistake. "I am a man of great duress, I have ruined my nation signed it over to a small group of domonent men" That was his first sentence.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 3:13 PM, Wendyb wrote:

Regarding the gentleman who posted that he sees 25-30 people a day in Ohio and they don't want his jobs. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. People don't want your jobs because they are door to door sales jobs where you are expected to work 11-12 hour days, 6 days a week in all sorts of weather and are only paid on commission. In addition, if this is the company I believe it to be, an energy company, they have been investigated and gotten into trouble in other states, including NY and Michigan for fraudulent sales practices and overcharging customers. They have an F rating with the BBB. They tell you the job is one thing and then when you show up for their "interview" you find out what it really is. If it was everything you claim people would be knocking your door down to work there.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 3:15 PM, redhead55 wrote:

when I read the comment by not so Sirius, my first thought is what an ass!! and who would want to work for him anyway?? with an attitude like that im surprised that anyone would. if by the Grace of God you live to be "our" age then you will see the light. I really hope you lose your job and lose everything you have and I hope you run into an asHhole such as yourself when you do lose everything. May God have mercy on your soul.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 4:38 PM, 12know wrote:

NotSoSirius, I have a real issue with you. I've been out of work for nearly five years, have pursued all avenues of finding work, and still there is nothing available to me. I'm even willing to work a job that will only last a week. Still nothing. How DARE you imply that I am not interested in working! Living in the Silicon Valley, a wage of $9 or $10 an hour is not going to help pay the rent or buy groceries. The average one bedroom apartment goes for $1550/month. How does one survive on $9 an hour and be able to pay that amount for rent, along with paying for utilities and groceries? Redhead55, I'm so with you on your comment. You tell it like it is.

• Report this Comment On February 03, 2014, at 5:01 PM, tritan74 wrote:

I hate to keep repeating myself but Obama is not the entire problem. Both the house and senate are using the unemployment extension as a personal tool to get the subsidies the Republicans want and the raises at our expense everyone else wants. And no matter what anyone says the House and senate are playing this as an ill played violin while hurting all Americans!!!

• Report this Comment On February 04, 2014, at 12:06 PM, Animal wrote:

patsaxon wrote "I think unemployment as well as welfare should be done away, in order to make people go to work. There are many jobs available as there is no excuse for not working. America does not need free loaders and there is no need to waiting in between jobs just to get a better job."

Many jobs available? WHERE??

Do away with welfare? Does that include the subsidies we give Big Oil, Big Agriculture, and the defense industry? How about the no-bid contractors we give military contractors like Halliburton?

• Report this Comment On February 05, 2014, at 6:06 PM, WyattJunker wrote:

Obamacare. Remove the 30 hour employer mandate and I'll think about hiring more workers.

Keep it in place, and I'll continue putting my money elsewhere.

And California was even more genius. They're raising the min wage AT THE SAME TIME the Obamacare mandate rolls out. Two whammies.

I employ 115 employees. I may be forced to shrink it to under 100.

Gee, thanks Obama and Jerry Brown. You're geniuses!

• Report this Comment On February 05, 2014, at 6:07 PM, williambonney wrote:

Where has Obama been these last five years???

Now he wants to tackle unemployment?

Obama Care will make more people unemployable and raising the minimum wages will also.

Either he is lost or a fool or it is intentional!!!

• Report this Comment On February 05, 2014, at 6:13 PM, agwisreal wrote:

To a considerable extent, employment has become a game of musical chairs. Unless policies are put in place that are favorable to hiring, or at least not so very unfavorable, the chairs will continue to slip away.

And then we wonder why so many people have been left standing for so long.

• Report this Comment On February 05, 2014, at 7:37 PM, Tiingall wrote:

I think StockBeast and Yakimaland nailed it.

The combination of European bankers owning the right to control the production and supply of money in the USA, working in combination with the repeal of laws designed to prevent the sort of criminal corruption that is now rife in the banking and finance industry, combined to drive the nails into the coffin of the US economy.

That the European banking families are willing to use assassins to protect their power is made clear in the following article. http://www.iamthewitness.com/books/Andrew.Carrington.Hitchco... It's long bit worth the read if you are interested to understand that money and economic cycles are not controlled by our governments, but by these faceless owners of the Bank of England and the Federal Reserve. Their criminal behaviour is the foundation of "The International" movie. That they could have been responsible for Kennedy's assassination seems completely plausible, since he threatened their domination.

This is what the third president of the USA said about the topic:

“I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.”

Unemployment in the USA is not expected to reach pre 2008 levels until at least 2020.

There have been numerous MF reports confirming that the vast majority of income growth in the last 20 to 30 years has gone into the hands of the richest 1% of the population. These few people have a very limited total demand for cars, travel, food, TVs, mobile phones and all the other consumer goods which generate employment. So the rebound of production, commercial activity and with it unemployment, from recent recessions is getting longer and longer with each successive event, because fewer people have a reasonable amount of money to spend to drive demand.

The corruption of the banking and finance industry has helped create this inequitable distribution of income, so now even the wealthy get minimal return on their money. Because far fewer lower and middle class people now have sufficient money to buy homes, cars, TVs etc.

We do live in an interdependent economy, society and world. When one group gets too greedy the entire system collapses. Everyone suffers, but some will suffer a lot more.

• Report this Comment On February 06, 2014, at 11:36 AM, observerbob2013 wrote:

The only answer to longterm unemployment is the proose jobsvision of realistic training coupled with serious job seeking help.

Most long term unemployed have little chance of employment without industry based and supported training schemes which actually train people for real jobs and then help them to get those jobs.

It is very easy for those of us who have the strength and self reliance to be investors to look at these people as undeserving but in fact many simply do not have the strength to redesign their lives after a company re-sizes (lovely word) or chooses to use overseas call centres, production centres, etc.

• Report this Comment On February 06, 2014, at 7:07 PM, Tiingall wrote:

Unemployment schemes, retraining schemes, unemployment benefits etc are all just like putting plasters on a rampant skin infection. They may be valiant attempts to treat the symptoms but not actually address the cause of the disease.

Until the cause of the disease is addressed, the problems will keep re-occurring.

Look at the youtube item to which Yakimaland referred: Arron Russo;s Freedom to fascism part 1. Apart from the question of whether the Federal Government has the legal right to levy income tax, the frightening revelation is that most of the tax money collected is spent on paying back the national debt; repaying money (cash) borrowed from the private banking families which actually own the Federal Reserve and who legally have the right to print and supply US dollars. Like they own the Bank of London and have the same rights:

"I care not what puppet is placed upon the throne of England to rule the Empire on which the sun never sets. The man who controls Britain's money supply controls the British Empire, and I control the British money supply." Nathan Rothschilds

Until this festering and all consuming disease is cut out and removed - along with the bankers' "right" to operate banking as a corrupt and criminal gambling business for their personal financial benefit (remember, only the house wins in the long-run with gambling) - we can all expect continuing roller coaster boom and bust cycles - created by the private owners of the Bank of England and the Federal Reserve - so they can gain great benefit by getting everyone - governments, businesses and private individuals - into more debt.

The 100 year pattern is that recessions are becoming deeper and lasting much longer as the bankers successfully shift the world's wealth into the hands of fewer people. "The world’s 85 richest individuals now own as much as the poorest half of the 7 billion global population, according to a report released by Oxfam" (Time Business and Money), two Mondays ago, for the recent World Economic Forum in Davos.

The capitalist paradigm has been successfully hijacked by the European banking families to help create an idealogical hegemony that has guaranteed their world financial dominance, and created the economic ruin which now precipitates unemployment, social unrest, sectarian killing, resource wars and all manner of human suffering.

These are precisely the consequences which Jefferson predicted almost 200 years ago and which Wilson guaranteed for all Americans (and the rest of the world) in 1913 and which Kennedy very possibly died trying to reverse in 1963.

Search for and read the article - History of the Money Changers.

Read this article about an amazing number of unexpected deaths of people in government planning to take back ownership of the Federal Reserve: http://rense.com/general86/pres.htm

Until this disease is eliminated, all Americans - and the rest of the world - can expect lots more of the same problems now faced in the World Financial Collapse.

And the evidence of recent history suggests this will get worse with each successive recession/depression, because the vast majority of people in the world will have progressively less and less spending power to create a demand driven recovery by purchasing consumer goods.

Any amount of debate or legislation regarding unemployment benefits, special programmes, re-training and stimulus packages will be simply band-aids hiding a massive, self-destructive, festering boil that is spreading from limb to limb.

The disease must be fixed, not the symptoms treated. Once the disease of private foreign ownership of the Federal Reserve is removed, the economic symptoms will largely disappear.

The long-term unemployment crisis will remain out of control until ownership of the money supply - in the USA and the UK - is returned to the people.

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 9:27 PM, StockBeast wrote:

Anti-Federal Reserve IDIOTS ... good god you conspiracy nutters need mental help

• Report this Comment On June 30, 2014, at 12:27 AM, Gaki wrote:

I was laid off 9/20/13 filed for benefits 10/13113. Drew 26 weeks and that was it. I have run completely out of $$. Will not be able to pay the rent or other bills starting now!! Bright spot is that I have accepted a job offer $4 an hr less than I have made in years starting 7/14/14. Problem::: I will not.have gas or food money and 1st paycheck will not be until end of July. My government has let me down. We need the retroactive unemployment extension passed now!!!! I did everything right. It took me from Mar to June trying for my new position and did not give up which paid off.