How Captain America Will Save ‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’

Viewers shouldn't be surprised if most of the events leading up to Captain America: The Winter Soldier are either teased or revealed in Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Fool contributor Tim Beyers says in the following video.

We can't know for sure, of course. But in a recent interview with TV Guide, series star Clark Gregg was asked if he could envision a S.H.I.E.L.D. movie. His response? "Ask me again after I've seen Captain America 2."

The implication: Winter Soldier is, in a way, an expanded version of S.H.I.E.L.D., but featuring the agency's biggest characters (i.e., Cap, Black Widow, and Anthony Mackie's Falcon) and an even bigger conspiracy. Walt Disney (NYSE: DIS  ) investors should be excited by the prospect.

At the very least, Tim says, a close tie-in with Winter Soldier might help satisfy critics who say the show doesn't move fast enough or feature big enough elements of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It would also jibe with reports that Jaimie Alexander's Lady Sif from Thor: The Dark World is set to appear in a forthcoming episode.

In short, Tim says all signs point to a strong end to what's been a teeter-totter of a first season for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which has seen average viewership drift from 12.1 million for the pilot to a season-low 6.1 million for episode 10 ("The Bridge") and 6.6 million for episode 13 ("T.R.A.C.K.S.").

Now it's your turn to weigh in. How do you see Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. tying into Captain America: The Winter Soldier? Will it be as explicit as Tim expects? Please watch the video to get his full take and then leave a comment to let us know where you stand and whether you would buy, sell, or short Disney stock at current prices.

Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson and Brett Dalton as Agent Grant Ward. Credits: Marvel Studios and ABC Television.

How to be a couch potato hero
Want to figure out how to profit on business analysis like this? The key is to learn how to turn business insights into portfolio gold by taking your first steps as an investor. In our brand-new special report, "Your Essential Guide to Start Investing Today," The Motley Fool's personal finance experts show you how to get started, and even give you access to some stocks to buy first. Click here to get your copy today -- it's absolutely free.

• Report this Comment On February 15, 2014, at 9:24 AM, ABNMEDIC wrote:

Great I can't wait to see where all this will lead.

• Report this Comment On February 15, 2014, at 10:13 AM, PsiKick wrote:

I've given up on the series. I'll binge watch it someday if it actually survives and starts to tell a story.

• Report this Comment On February 15, 2014, at 6:10 PM, PAJohnDoe wrote:

Are "Arrow" and "SHIELD" the only two shows they talk about on this site? Also, I got to work on the Cap sequel myself as a SHIELD agent for a couple of days at the Triskelion/Cleveland Museum of Art that was mentioned a few episodes back. I was involved in a small action sequence and I'm crossing my fingers that I didn't get murdered on my first day of the job like I did when I was a Gotham cop a couple years back in "Dark Knight Rises"...

• Report this Comment On February 16, 2014, at 12:38 AM, nomad wrote:

The show is junk. Hoping the film will decimate the Avengers, and agents is cancelled. There's hope for a good SHIELD show: Peggy Carter.

• Report this Comment On February 16, 2014, at 12:38 AM, nomad wrote:

I meant decimate SHIELD, not the Avengers. D'oh.

• Report this Comment On February 16, 2014, at 3:12 PM, joecat12 wrote:

I'm a Marvel movie fan and have been following SHIELD all season. While sometimes slow, I haven't given up on it. I like your thought about the tie into Captain America: Winter Soldier. This could be the start of something big - crossing over TV with big time movies. It would give us a year round interest and make both the TV show and the movies more entertaining. Got my fingers crossed.

• Report this Comment On February 16, 2014, at 4:11 PM, RY33 wrote:

If they actually had a brain in their heads the entire first season of S.H.I.E.L.D would have been a story arc leading up to "Captain America: The Winter Soldier". Y'know, like we all wanted the series to be rather than a watered down "Man From U.N.C.L.E."

• Report this Comment On February 16, 2014, at 7:29 PM, ce2756 wrote:

Just got up to speed on agents of SHIELD. I thought the writers did an excellent job of introducing the characters and making them believable.

As for movie tie-ins, sure these things have to happen, but I really hope the writers keep investing their efforts in continuing to create believable characters in fantastic situations.

In the comics, SHIELD was always more interesting as background for a story. The cast and crew of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD have brought the agency into the spotlight, but the show will only survive if it is produced as a stand alone show, instead of an advertising venue for the movies.

• Report this Comment On February 16, 2014, at 7:51 PM, HerbieJPilato wrote:

And no one is still getting it:

We want to see the actual SUPERHEROES themselves on SHIELD.

No one cares about these agents.

They're just filler.

We want the real deal.

• Report this Comment On February 16, 2014, at 8:43 PM, msorrentino wrote:

HerbieJPilato, Except people knew going in that the series wasn't going to be about superheroes and ABC, Joss Whedon, Marvel and Disney all said exactly that. It is and will always be about the agents of SHIELD; the superheroes, at least the A-listers are reserved for movies. If people want superheroes Agents of SHIELD isn't the show for them. Agents of SHIELD is about the organization and the people (Coulson and company) who work for it. Now, they have started setting up heroes and villains within the show such as Graviton, Blizzard and Deathlok. However, those characters with the exception of perhaps Deathlok will most likely go on to assume their role within the MCU as the comic book counterparts. In other words, Graviton goes on to become a threat to the Avengers, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if he was part of the opening act of Avengers: Age of Ultron; while Blizzard goes on to become a recurring nuisance to Iron Man.