If This Wonder Woman Shows Up, ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Will Be a Billion-Dollar DC Movie

Each time I've written about the possibilities for Wonder Woman in a DC movie, readers' reaction comes back the same: make her strong and intimidating, every bit Superman's equal. Thanks to the new animated feature Justice League: War, we have a sense of what that might look like.

But don't take my word for it. See for yourself:

In Justice League: War, Diana comes off as the warrior princess some fans would love to see in a live-action film. Sources: Warner Animation, YouTube.

Amazon.com ranks the film 10th on its list of the best-selling "Action & Adventure" Blu-ray titles as of this writing, and that's despite mixed reviews, especially for how the film portrays Wonder Woman. As one reviewer said, "Green Lantern is irritatingly arrogant and Wonder Woman is a moron. I wanted to take the DVD out and snap it in two after the WW ice cream scene. Unfortunately I stuck with it and I wish I had those 80 minutes back."

Another wondered why it was necessary for Wonder Woman to "act like ... a man."

Ouch.

And yet you can also count me among those who isn't sure what to think of Justice League: War, which is based on the relaunched "New 52" interpretation of Time Warner's (NYSE: TWX  ) DC Comics characters. There's plenty of old-school comic book action (which I loved) but not a whole lot of character development (which I didn't). Mediocre sales from here wouldn't be surprising, which leaves investors with a troubling question.

What if, despite the comments we've seen here at Fool.com, fans don't want Gal Gadot bulking up to play a tough version of the Amazon Princess? What if they want Batman vs. Superman to concentrate almost entirely on DC's Big Two and leave the rest at the periphery?

I think that would be a huge mistake, especially when you consider that the second-biggest character in Marvel's box office history is Iron Man, a hero unknown to the public just a few years ago. (Spidey still ranks first, according to Box Office Mojo.)

What's more, I think there's ample evidence that audiences are hungry for Wonder Woman to be more than the female lead in the Justice League. Think of The Hunger Games series. Billions have gone to those films because they allow a tough heroine to shine. None -- not even Katniss -- come as tough as Diana.

So c'mon, Warner: Let Wonder Woman finally deliver the box office knockout punch we fans have been waiting decades to see.

Wonder Woman about to deliver a wallop to Darkseid in Justice League: War. Credit: Warner Bros.

Now it's your turn to weigh in, fellow fans. Did you see Justice League: War? What do you hope to see from Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman in the next big DC movie? Leave a comment in the box below to let us know where you stand.

Three superhero stocks your portfolio needs now
You know cable's going away. But do you know how to profit? There's $2.2 trillion out there to be had. Currently, cable grabs a big piece of it. That won't last. And when cable falters, three companies are poised to benefit. Click here for their names. Hint: They're not Netflix, Google, and Apple

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 11:20 AM, Avrice wrote:

I watched it with some friends , explained to them this is based on the new 52, we all loved it from start to finish. Wonder Woman was believable in that she wasn't all jacked up but damn was she packing a punch, and ready to battle at the draw of her sword!

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 11:21 AM, HenryHayne wrote:

I am not interested in a Wonder Woman as a bit part in the Batman Superman movies. I would be very interested in a movie of her own, and a cameo would be fine as a precursor to her own movie.

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 11:31 AM, unbound wrote:

The only problem i had with this is wonder woman was supposed to have the wisdom of athena. She displayed none if that in this. I do think uou can have both. The ww from the redone wonder woman was both aggressive and used wisdom.

The reality is most DCs characters were one dimensional until recently. The only exception being Batman

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 11:35 AM, kp22kc wrote:

Although I liked Justice League:War, I didn't like the look of either Wonder Woman or Superman. Wonder Woman should have her Eagle, stars and stripes outfit on and her hair was terrible. The voice was good though. Superman seemed way too young and green. The rest of the superheros were fine, but I really like the animation for the Justice League cartoon, the first couple of seasons. The rest with Unlimited were just too many superheros for my taste. I'm not a comic book reader so I'm just going by the movies and the series. I am anxious to see how they fit Wonder Woman into the Superman/Batman movie and I'm hoping Gadot does a good job. From the pictures I've seen she looks the part if she can bulk up a little bit. Not a lot, because Wonder Woman is not bulky, just a tall woman with amazing strength.

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 11:42 AM, TMFMileHigh wrote:

@unbound,

>>The only problem i had with this is wonder woman was supposed to have the wisdom of athena.

Good point. She was a terror in battle (as you expect) but not the wise leader you'd expect from a warrior imbued with godly wisdom.

Foolish best,

Tim

TMFMileHigh in CAPS and on the boards

@milehighfool on Twitter

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 11:49 AM, ZetaMale wrote:

The under lying current that we really have going on with this “wonder-womyn cartoon concept here is a false set of pretense. The article says: “If wonder woman shows up it’ll make BILLIONS and make her strong and intimidating, equal to Superman” There is an assumption that just because a “womyn” pops in, it will gross millions. Being a strong womyn is OK, BUT INTIMIDATING, come-on ! that is so un-female, true Manly Manful men do not want anything to do with a “intimidating Womyn” Matter of fact we leave them be, not because we’re afraid, because their a pain to deal with, we don’t waste our time on them. Equal to Superman, come on, that’s just another false pretense and the under lying current there is more feminist propaganda, mentally, emotionally, and physically men and womyn are total opposites, men are better at all things then womyn, the only thing a womyn can do that a man cannot is incubate life … WAKE UP PEOPLE and SEE THE REALITY OF IT.

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 11:53 AM, HerbieJPilato wrote:

Nay....this Wonder Woman is too mean....

Lynda Carter's WW from the first season of the original TV series (not the lame latter two years) is the essence of character.

Strong, but feminine.....

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 12:42 PM, naraz wrote:

i think the issue here is that many people dont read the comics to understand a lot of what went on recently with Warner/DC.

DC comics was completely rebooted with the exception of Batman/Green lantern. Majority of their histories were kept because of the larger storylines going on at the time.

batman is supposed to have had 10-15 years as a hero at this point, and this was after flash and Green lantern should have met. Cyborg just became who he was, and wonder woman and Superman were just getting aquanted with being hero's/Being in the U.S.

mind you i have not seen the movie yet. one part is because i was told they replaced Aquaman for Shazam aka Captain. marvel for those that remember the original name that they cannot use anymore.

the wonder woman used here isnt what is used in the comics and many people still try and hold onto what was in the past that they know and cherish.

Batman has never been the same in any iterations other than batman and batman returns.

Superman has had arguments left and right about christopher reeves time in the suit.

People need to let go, and experience the new telling of the "what if" that movie makers do. they dont wanna tell the same exact story as the last person.....wheres the creativity in that.

as for Gal Gadot. she needs to be imposing, and hard. or she isnt wonderwoman. you cannot make her the "typical" (i use that word lightly) heroin that have been portrayed in films.

Comparing the character to katniss from Hunger games is like someone comparing Wolverine to aquaman. Katniss isnt so outgoing in the film and most if it she is riding the wave of whats going on around her. while yes wonderwoman reacts the same way, she openly questions what is going on, and tries to resolve it, with force if required. Wonder woman was not in any form other than from the pre 80's a passive woman. she wont succeed if she is the linda carter wonder woman. why? Look at the guy who tried to replace christopher reeves in superman returns.

look at val kilmer, look at george clooney. people will continuously compare her to carter just like they did these men to kilmer or adam west.

and to what Zetamale said........hes a moron who doesnt know how to spell women...

wonder woman was an amazon.....is an amazon....a people in a female society that look down on males in the form of nothing required other than to procreate. Some amazons have respect for the males, but have no life requirement to need them.

as for equal to superman......she has in every incarnation been able to smack around the man of steel

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 1:16 PM, Philjimeneznyc wrote:

I always argue that the last thing you need is a course, tough, intimidating Wonder Woman. Batman is tough, course, intimidating. Wonder Woman is inspirational, transformational, fun -- more an adventurer than a warrior; someone who sees taking down a hydra as challenge, a competition, not a Spartan-like opportunity to shout Shakespearean pronouncements and kill something. When Wonder Woman walks in a room, you shouldn't fear her; you should be transformed by her -- she's the kind of personality that walks into a room and everyone, even the gods, swoon, because she embodies the greatest qualities of her goddesses Aphrodite, Athena, Artemis. She is not dour. She is not mean. She is not a female Batman. For most of their 70+ years, the Amazons of the DCU were primarily inventors, artisans, scientists, Olympic athletes, etc. who, isolated from the wars of our world, used "Amazon training" to constantly improve their minds and bodies. They believed in reformation, not murder. Wonder Woman is a symbol of those Amazons, and a metaphor for these ideas. Traditionally, Wonder Woman is smart, curious, impatient, fun-loving, kind, compassionate, intensely competitive -- and would never kill anything with a sword she could take down with her hands. That would be cheating, and where would be the fun/sport in that? I don't expect much more than a standard Sif-like warrior maid from this WW intro -- a safe but banal warrior princess from an already-seen mold -- but it would be very, very nice to be surprised.

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 1:33 PM, chicagorob wrote:

The "War" WW was too naive and simple, though her sense of justice and honor were well represented.

The problem is Gadot will not only have to bulk up a lot to come even close to WW's necessary physique, but she her voice will have to be altered or something. It's to light and softspoken.

Why did they insist on highering an almost anorexic model? Even her "bulking up" photo, released today, shows an over skinny little girl showing us her tiny muscles. I'm not looking for Gina Carano, mind you, but at least someone who looks like they have strength and has been in hand to hand combat would have been a much better choice.

Plus, Gadot looks like she's about 25 years younger than Affleck, which makes the Batman/WW relationship look kinda creepy.

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 2:14 PM, patsyleeoswald wrote:

they're just pandering to little girls by adding ww, willing to water down the story just to increase ticket sales.

snyder destroyed watchmen when he changed the ending. he made superman a killer. i feel sorry for the people who give him any more money.

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 2:27 PM, sadisticon wrote:

I like the movie. I also like HerbiJpilato's assessment of this Wonder Woman in contrast of Lynda Carter's first-season performance:"Nay....this Wonder Woman is too mean....

Strong, but feminine.....

With no swords....the true character of Wonder Woman Diana Prince would not maim any one in that way."

And yet I am ready to welcome a new interpretation of the character. I will always fondly remember Lynda Carter the way I fondly remember George Reeves' Superman; but it is time to move on. It is okay, to move on.

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 2:28 PM, mehranajaz wrote:

green lantern and batman were a**holes lol.

i thought the movie was great.....

but that was probably because i was incredibly high.

anyway i will watch the movie again sober and see the difference

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 2:49 PM, mcampbell8 wrote:

I am in the camp that believes DC should tread lightly in this area. There characters are not the type that have created the buzz that is typical in Marvel releases. What works for the comic books doesn't necesarily translate well into the movies.

I think DC would be better served to have someone like Jaimie Alexander play wonder woman.

DC should experiment with the Young Justice movie to see if they can develop the characters along with a good story and a decent amount of humor. No matter how they do it, competing with Marvel is going to be tough.

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 3:27 PM, collective03 wrote:

.....................I'm just waiting for a Sub Mariner movie.

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 3:57 PM, chrismcv wrote:

I actually have been promoting a better idea for a Hollywood movie based upon the character of The Atom from DC Comics with Jon Hamm as Dr. Ray Palmer and John Malkovich as Dr. Light:

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 4:02 PM, clusk wrote:

The only way this movie will have a billion dollars involved with it is if the budget to film it is that much. The only coming super hero movie that might be as horrible as this turkey is the new FF movie and it will bite for the same reason this one will casting choices that are stupid

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 5:10 PM, jameseey wrote:

I enjoyed Justice League: War and I liked Wonder Woman to a certain point. She was a lot like Thor in the movies - naive, otherworldly, egotistical, badass warrior - but with a kind of wacky (and usually unintentional) sense of humor. But I don't know if this would work for an entire movie because she's not relatable to either women or men. There has to be something that makes her "human". That's what Lynda Carter did so well in her portrayal - at least in the first season WW era episodes.

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 5:49 PM, nowandthenreader wrote:

justice league : war is garbage.

bad story

awful animation

poor voice talent

anothe miss for dc's hit & miss animated feature series.

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 6:08 PM, myadreplies wrote:

DC is screwing up Wonder Woman SO badly!! Although the Wonder Woman TV show from the 70's was full of cheese, Lynda Carter set some very high standards to fill.

I personally have tried to get my version of the correct type of Wonder Woman movie fans would be proud of.....but as usual, they REFUSE to hear anything from fans. Hell, I would even GIVE them the story if they would at least credit me.....but all offers have been refused.

And this is why DC/WB keeps losing money on anything new they do with Wonder Woman. They just refuse to listen or adapt.

As far as Gal Gadot is concerned....WRONG!!! WRONG!!! WRONG!!!

WRONG on SO many levels!!!! Wonder Girl....I can see that. Wonder WOMAN? NO WAY!!!!

Wish I had 200m to produce my Wonder Woman movie. I know it would be a fan hit, as well as a big money maker for the studio.

Oh well, their loss.

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 6:53 PM, BlackSuave wrote:

I have this very DVD in my hand, recently bought from the store, preparing to watch it. I already don't like that ticky tack outfit Wonder Woman is in, and I don't like that her eyes are big and beautiful that I've come to love for 100's of years. I don't like any iterations of Superman that makes him look like a teenager. I also don't like characters drawn to be skinny looking powerhouses, nor do I like it when they're drawn with -10% body fat. Find a good medium.

This Gadot kid has NO CHANCE to be a 'real' Wonder Woman, and should resign, as should Ben Affleck as Batman. I will grieve for the movie when it comes out.

I will go watch the DVD now.

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 7:17 PM, BlackSuave wrote:

Btw, Wonder Woman isn't even close to Superman's level. In fact, that is the most ridiculous assertion I've ever seen. There's Superman, an abnormally large gap, and then everyone else in the DC hero universe.

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 7:43 PM, myadreplies wrote:

Justice League War was horrible. Nothing but pure violence. Not even a story line. Geez, cant they think of anything NEW? Apparently not.

This Wonder Woman was HORRIBLE!! BAD voice, BAD attitude, BAD costume!!! NOTHING Wonder Woman-ish about her at all.

What was WRONG with Supermans face??? I like his costume, but something was DEFINITELY wrong with his face.

Shazam was pretty good though.

The rest were ok.

But this movie was just horrible. A rehash of old rehashed rehashes, that have been rehashed to death.

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 8:25 PM, BlackSuave wrote:

I want my $20 back.

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 8:28 PM, BlackSuave wrote:

Agree. Terrible. Everything was terrible, to the cornball 'acting' by the characters, the costumes, lack of a measurable storyline, and the fact that Darkseid was 17 feet tall and probably weighed 2,500lbs.

Seriously, I actually want my 20 bucks back.

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 8:36 PM, virgilcole wrote:

On the list of DC animated features, Justice League: War is at the bottom. It was just hideous.

The "JLA: Trapped in Time" video that was only released at Target was better.

Justice League: War took a New 52 story and tried to adapt it into an animated feature and failed miserably.

• Report this Comment On February 18, 2014, at 8:52 PM, SMP wrote:

Sorry.

The author of this article has only a few valid points. Sure the design of Wonder Woman in this Animated movie is passable. And she is presented as strong, and physically able, which was good. I also did not mind the re-design of the suit that much, and she still had most of the primary colors, and had the nice physique, great shoulders. But she was portrayed as very one dimensional and dumb. I have no idea why everyone in the Justice League:War feature had to be portrayed as cocky and or a jerk, except for Batman, that is, he was the one character with depth.

Also, I just saw a pic of Gal Gadot(cast as Wonder Woman) flexing, and someone needs to feed her a sandwich and show her some comic books. She looks like a little girl flexing. This is Wonder Woman, and she needs to really bring her game when she portrays Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman needs to be an Amazon, she needs size and mass. Gal Gadot just does not re-present Wonder Woman for me, and the stock holders of WB should be worried. because I think this rushed movie is set for failure.

I am disgusted by how the movie looks like so far. Marvel is stepping up there game, and DC/Warner Bros are falling behind.

• Report this Comment On February 19, 2014, at 2:02 AM, GREGalicious wrote:

I haven't yet watched the film but I am a little tired of the Wonder Woman complaints. Diana is the best and most trained fighter in the League and she should be tough. I love seeing her brawl.

I completely disagree with all this business about Lynda Carter's WW setting the bar too high. From the old reruns ive seen, her portrayal always seemed a underwhelming to me.

She was good but I hardly felt she was a match for Superman or Batman. I think praise should be given to Susan EIsenberg (who portrayed Diana on both Justice League and Justice League Unlimited). She is the one to beat.

• Report this Comment On February 19, 2014, at 2:22 AM, jjdjdj wrote:

Personally I am tired of the "I am woman hear me roar" I would never watch a stand alone Wonder Woman, Black Widow or Lady Sif movie..i see enough misandry and male bashing on regular TV..Law and Order SVU anyone?

• Report this Comment On February 19, 2014, at 5:34 AM, Imstable wrote:

Honestly I am a justice league fan and after watching the JLwar movie these are my heartfelt views,firstly green lanterns too much of a clown and talks just too much,he should have been given an aura of powerful hard hitting things to say instead of acting like a little kid who has just discovered he has super powers, his constant bickering with batman was now becoming irritating, at his first encounter with batman he should have maintained a mysterious persona for someone who has power levels like his as much as batman should have also portrayed a more grittier, darker version of batman who instilled a certain fear in the team because of his ability to pop out of the shadows with the element of surprise with the kind of like you don't know what I'm capable of doing attitude. Wonder woman's toughness now that I like except the ice-cream scene which made her look quite silly and the outfit I believe was smashingly good and her power levels awesomely done......

• Report this Comment On February 19, 2014, at 10:19 AM, kennyg123 wrote:

As a life-long DC comics fan and buyer of all their previous direct-to-video animations, I have to say this is probably the worst of the lot. Most of the characters were arrogant and unlikable, but they really blew it with Wonder Woman. Sure, she fought fiercely, but it wasn't tempered with any of the wisdom or restraint she usually displays. She was portrayed as a fool, and the costume wasn't even the same as the New 52 one. Not sure why they went with that look instead of the more traditional costume.

I also don't have a lot of warm fuzzies about Gal Gadot. She's pretty, but she doesn't seem to have the physicality needed for the role. I'm also not sure she has the acting chops to pull it off, given her like 5 lines in a franchise film. There were more obvious casting choices that would have been an easier sell.

I expect the Batman vs. Superman film to not happen as it's envisioned today. Bad casting choices (Affleck included) and too many characters forced in (this ruined films like Spider-Man 3) will make this collapse under its own weight before principal filming even begins. Cavill deserves a legitimate sequel to Man of Steel before he has to share the story and limelight with a Batman. Wonder Woman deserves her own feature film too.

With the crushing success of the Marvel films, the dismal failure of the Green Lantern film, and the mixed reception of Man of Steel, WB has their work cut out for them and cannot afford a misstep. My money's on Marvel for dominance at the box office for the foreseeable future.

• Report this Comment On February 19, 2014, at 11:58 AM, Dre24 wrote:

Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman is bigger than anything the Avengers has to offer. I'm sure most sane people would agree. We'll see if the unpopular castings end up failing. Gotta at least see a trailer first. As far as Wonder Woman goes. The Zack Snyder version of Wonder Woman will be a force to be reckoned with. Same thing with his Batman. His Superman even had some edge to him. The actors deliver the lines. The director's vision is what's MOST important.

• Report this Comment On February 19, 2014, at 1:30 PM, cazzie001 wrote:

Rosario Dawson should be cast as wonder woman. Have you seen her in the movie Trance. She would look awesome in a wonder woman costume. She is is shape and from her other movies, she would be able to act like a nerd and become wonder woman in an instant. And we need more diversity in comics. ROSARIO DAWSON FOR WONDER WOMAN!!! :-)

• Report this Comment On February 19, 2014, at 1:32 PM, cazzie001 wrote:

And i might add, Rosario Dawson looks like she could be from the amazon from her full nudity scene in Trance. I'm just saying.

• Report this Comment On February 19, 2014, at 3:34 PM, GJacksonEPI wrote:

Most don't realize that when William Moulton Marston first created Wonder Woman, she was meant to be every bit of Superman's equal as far as her strength and ability to fly goes. In fact, being of Amazonian desent, Diana of Themiscyra / Paradise Island was originally depicted as being and inch or so taller than Superman. There's an excellent example of this in the animated film, Justice League: The New Frontier (2008). Whereas Superman has his x-ray and laser heat vision, super cold breath, and super hearing along with a few other inborn abilities, Wonder Woman has her magic lasso, bracelets, and headband to compliment her natural abilities.

I think the reason they made Wonder Woman appear to be so naive in this latest movie is because it's supposed to be a prequel. She had just recently arrived in the USA, and was still gaining her bearings. In fact, all of the Justice League were just meeting for the first time in this film. However, if you followed the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited animated TV series, you would have seen what Wonder Woman truly brings to the round table. Her character in these two venues does possess the same strength and humanity, while still remaining oh so feminine, that Lynda Carter's portrayal so beautifully and elegantly captured.

The naivety shown in Justice League: War, will probably not translate well into the forthcoming Batman vs. Superman blockbuster if they decide to go that route, but the remaining qualities depicted in War will be an excellent complement to the film. Hopefully, the Wonder Woman they choose to introduce this time around is the savvy, seasoned, and strong Wonder Woman that her fans all know and love... G.

• Report this Comment On February 19, 2014, at 4:55 PM, GJacksonEPI wrote:

Oh yeah. And by the way, cazzie001, I'm a fan of Rosario Dawson as well, but Gal Gadot of the Fast & Furious movies (of whom I'm also a fan) has already been cast in the Wonder Woman role for Batman vs. Superman. Hope you're not too disappointed... :)

• Report this Comment On February 22, 2014, at 7:02 AM, Basset wrote:

She needs to lose the Dickie