Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD’s Ratings Might Not Matter After All

Disney (NYSE: DIS  ) /ABC's Marvel's Agents of SHIELD continued its ratings slump with its most recent episode, "T.A.H.I.T.I.", although the episode was a considerable improvement over the earlier episodes of the uneven series.

"T.A.H.I.T.I." drew in a series low of 5.11 million viewers, earning a 1.7 rating among 18 to 49 year olds on Tuesday night. As expected, Comcast (NASDAQ: CMCSA  ) /NBC's The Voice and CBS' (NYSE: CBS  ) NCIS dominated the time slot, respectively drawing in 14.38 million and 17.68 million viewers. The Voice earned a 4.0 rating among 18 to 49 year olds, while NCIS earned a 2.4.

(Source: ABC.)

Agents of SHIELD is a key franchise for Disney for two reasons -- it is a standout performer among male viewers on the female-centric ABC network, which is best known for shows like Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, Revenge, Once Upon a Time, and Nashville, and it serves as a small-screen promotion for its blockbuster Marvel Cinematic Universe. It is also notably the first live-action sci-fi TV show besides Star Trek to take place in a continuous universe as its films.

A question of momentum
Agents of SHIELD co-creator Joss Whedon has received critical acclaim for writing and directing The Avengers, which grossed $1.5 billion on a production budget of $220 million, but he has had a spottier track record on television.

His two previous sci-fi efforts, Fox's (NASDAQ: FOX  ) Firefly and Dollhouse, respectively burned out after one and two seasons. Firefly got tripped up by episodes that were aired out of order, and Dollhouse gained momentum far too late in the second season, long after most viewers had lost interest in its "monster of the week" episodes.

Agents of SHIELD's writers seem to have learned from those mistakes, and the show has gained more momentum with serialized episodes starting with the tenth, "The Bridge," which tied together a lot of the loose ends from earlier episodes. The following three episodes -- "The Magical Place," "Seeds," and "T.R.A.C.K.S." -- finally advanced the storyline by expanding the Clairvoyant's storyline, Skye's origin, and the Deathlok project. Bill Paxton made his debut as Agent John Garrett, and Lady Sif (Jaimie Alexander, from the Thor films) will guest star on the show next week.

A rebranded serial format
ABC also notably rebranded the show as Agents of SHIELD: Uprising (the name of the current serialized story arc), and the show will ultimately tie in with the release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier on April 4.

However, the question is if the current hype and momentum can bring back viewers who were already let down twice by the show's lofty promises -- initially after Samuel L. Jackson and Cobie Smulders failed to return after their early cameos, and then again after the "Thor tie-in" was just a run-of-the-mill episode about an Asgardian weapon.

The good news is that ABC has apparently taken note of fan demands by bringing in Lady Sif for a full episode and introducing more recognizable characters from the Marvel universe -- such as Deathlok, John Garrett, and Victoria Hand -- to the show. The mysterious blue alien in "T.A.H.I.T.I." could also be a Kree, a race of militaristic aliens who could play a prominent role in Guardians of the Galaxy this summer.

Agents Victoria Hand and John Garrett. (Source: IGN)

Why SHIELD's ratings might not matter at all
Yet in the end, I suspect that Disney doesn't really care that much about Agents of SHIELD's week-to-week ratings when compared to The Voice and NCIS.

After all, Disney's broadcasting segment (which mainly consists of ABC) posted a 2% year-over-year decline in revenue and 32% drop in operating income last quarter. Disney's cable networks, which consist of ESPN, The Disney Channel, and A&E, are much more important to its overall business, accounting for 71% of Disney's Media Networks revenue and 88% of its operating income.

What matters to Disney is that Agents of SHIELD continues serving three roles -- the anchor, the glue, and the advertising machine for the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Agents of SHIELD needs to stay on the air as the anchor of the Marvel TV universe, since Agent Carter will arrive later this year, possibly followed by other Marvel spin-off shows. It needs to glue together the universe between Marvel film releases, just as Marvel comic books frequently reference and cross over with each other. Most importantly, it's important for Disney investors to realize that Agents of SHIELD is really just a weekly 43-minute commercial for its upcoming feature films.

That is, after all, where the real money is -- the three films that Disney has booked full profits for (The Avengers, Iron Man 3, and Thor: The Dark World) have already grossed $3.4 billion worldwide. Last quarter, revenue Disney's Studio Entertainment segment rose 23% year-over-year to $1.89 billion, thanks to Thor: The Dark World and Frozen

By comparison, revenue at Disney's broadcasting segment fell 2% year-over-year to $1.53 billion. However, ABC's minor slowdown could be easily offset by the upcoming Marvel releases of Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy later this year.

My final take
If Marvel continues expanding its TV universe on ABC with Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter, it can keep its film franchises fresh and relevant for fans -- a rare strength that many top film franchises lack.

What do you think, fellow Marvel fans? Is Agents of SHIELD winning you over with its "Uprising" story arc, or is it still the same old show just being pumped up with a lot more hype? Let me know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Welcome to Level 8
Want to profit from the explosive growth of the Marvel Cinematic Universe? The key for your future is to turn business insights into portfolio gold through smart and steady investing ... starting right now. Those who wait on the sidelines are missing out on huge gains and putting their financial futures in jeopardy. The Motley Fool is offering a new special report, an essential guide to investing, which includes access to top stocks to buy now. Click here to get your copy today -- it's absolutely free.

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 3:51 PM, JTRK wrote:

I like the show and will continue to watch it. The problem I see is it is up against NCIS the most popular show. I am assuming viewers 45 and older, if having only one choice, will watch NCIS. I have a TIVO unit so I can watch both. If Disney wants to improve ratings they need to go up against another show that is not near as popular. What this article says may be true. I hope the shows run for many more episodes.

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 4:02 PM, Buzzrammet wrote:

Another problem that drives me up a wall is that is ALWAYS being upended for another special, sports, news announcement, Justin Beaver just passed gas break ins etc.

You want to build a fan base have the damned show on EVERY WEEK, not just whenever it is convenient for the network.

And yeah we need more gee whizbang stuff. Waaaay to much talking and not enough action.

But otherwise I love the show.

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 4:13 PM, anth1225 wrote:

I like Agents and I'll keep watching it.

The last episode was really good and I'd like to see more action of a team effort, much like Mission Impossible.

They have both the tech skills and action skills to really sell it in this fashion.

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 4:13 PM, ablackfox wrote:

I, personally, absolutely LOVE Agents of Shield. It doesn't have all the blood, gore, sex and vile language that 90 percent of other shows currently on air have, and for that I am a massive fan and commend the production team!!!!! It is a show that my younger kids look forward to every week (almost) as much as I do, and one of the few that I approve of them watching with me!!!! The actors do an amazing job and the story line leaves it open for viewers to wonder and imagine what "could be" before revealing the actual answer..... which is what the comic books do to it's readers also. Every week, (or issue for the readers), reveals the answers to some questions and goes just a little more in depth on others but doesn't completely give away what's happening and allows viewers (and readers) to see if their predictions were right or leave them anxiously awaiting the next dose of enlightenment.... I look forward to watching every week and truly hope that it goes on for many, many seasons!!!!!!!

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 4:24 PM, smiling wrote:

My husband and I look forward to the episode every week.. just like we see the movies the weekend they come out...

I do wish there were more appearances from the actors in the movies.. or a tie in or two to the movies coming out...

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 4:27 PM, SnakeWoman22 wrote:

I like this show; I hope they don't cancel it. It could use a little more action for my taste-buds, however this show is suitable for most viewers including and especially youngsters for the time frame that it is aired. It is a nice sci-fi fantasy break from all of those docu-drama "realism shows" that just follow certain families around with cameras.

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 4:47 PM, macanoodough wrote:

Couldnt agree more with, or should I say, I fit the profile of the viewers he describes. I will watch, but will the lost viewers come back? I am a huge Marvel fan and will watch out of loyalty, but the show stinks on ice! I love Joss, Firefly I can watch over and over and Avengers is my favorite Marvel movie and I loved all the movies (except the last 2 X-men). But when I'm watching the same people have the same conversation they had last week about the same stuff, and the week before that, I get annoyed. Maybe that worked for Buffy, but Marvel is never going to be a "Girl's Brand". Woman may watch and enjoy, but your honey pot is 18-49 males. Less talky-talky more bang!

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 5:08 PM, BRaggles wrote:

I think S.H.I.E.L.D. sucks (The Avengers did too for that matter) and their sinking ratings are proving me right. Wasn't the X-Files Sci-Fi? Wasn't their movie within the TV show's universe?

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 6:21 PM, Scobe wrote:

AOS is a big disappointment. In the movies it is a powerful organization. In the show it is a typical nothing special with drab acting and poor writing. I hate to say it because I am a big fan of Marvel.

---Frank Scoblete author of "Confessions of a Wayward Catholic"

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 6:30 PM, digit69 wrote:

"It is also notably the first live-action sci-fi TV show besides Star Trek to take place in a continuous universe as its films."

Ummm, X-Files, anyone?

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 6:45 PM, DirigoMark wrote:

X-Files indeed, digit69, and the first, I believe, was Batman in 1966.

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 6:48 PM, holinesspreacher wrote:

I dont understand why the ratings for this show is so low and this show is bashed so much. It is an interesting show with good actors and if giving the correct chance I believe can grow into a phenom as it has the potential to have guest appearances over time of many Marvel heroes and villains as many worked with shield and against shield depending on the hero and situation at the time....

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 7:01 PM, msgsec74 wrote:

This article mentions "Firefly" and "Dollhouse" does anyone remember another little show Mr. Whedon put together called "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" ? If you did watch that show you would have noticed A.O.S. is progressing in THE EXACT SAME WAY !!!! There's a problem in every episode that everyone has to solve. But as the season progresses you start hearing about some big bad happing in the back ground. By the very end of the season they're facing that big bad directly. And "Buffy" ran for 7 years. Not to mention all the inappropriate humor. This is a great show.

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 7:01 PM, DeaconBlues117 wrote:

The X-Files movies came after the series, not concurrently - and there's some question as to whether they should be considered to be in the same universe, when one accounts for things that happened in the series that should have had a much greater impact on the movies.

The gap between also argues against this. One might as well propose Star Trek as a counterexample, even though it fails as an example for many of the same reasons.

And the 1966 Batman "movie" was really just a long TV-show episode, their typical two-parter filmed as one long ep. Not the same sort of thing at all.

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 7:09 PM, ariana wrote:

I love this show!

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 8:06 PM, mrwhooppee wrote:

I like the show

Hope it stays !

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 8:07 PM, SuntanIronMan wrote:

@BRaggles

Yep. There are a few examples like that of American live-action movies and TV series that take place in the same story universe while bring produced at the same time. Even more if you include American cartoon series. Even more if you include non-US movies/TV series.

Even when people say something incredibly specific like "S.H.I.E.L.D. is the first live-action American TV series to exist in the same story universe as multiple American live-action movies, where the movies came first, the TV show came later, and the TV show was bring broadcast while the movies were still being made." it still isn't so.

It doesn't happen very often, which makes Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. notable for attempting to do it today. But S.H.I.E.L.D. isn't the first as many people say for some reason (or second, in this case).

@DeaconBlues117

The first X-Files movie was filmed after season 4, with the actual story taking place sometime during season 5. It was the sequel that came out years after the series ended. I still haven't seen the second movie yet. Now that you bring it up, I kind of want to make time for it next weekend. I hear it isn't very good, but I think I'll give it a watch.

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 8:23 PM, Stealersky wrote:

It's funny, they make sure to mention Joss Whedon's two failures in Firefly ( which still has a cult following) and Dollhouse, but leaves out Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, which if I remember correctly were uhmmmmm huge hits. Way to pick and choose.

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 8:49 PM, Raven357 wrote:

I think the arthor kind of missed Stargate?

First a movie then a series and then 2 follow up movies not to mention a spin off Stargate Atlantis.

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 9:52 PM, jrbilli wrote:

Love AoS. But to the comments about the X-Files. The second movie had the disservice of opening on the same weekend as a little movie entitled The Dark Knight. It does follow continuity with the show, however, in that Mulder and Scully are still out of the FBI and Mulder has been in hiding. This is resolved before the case can begin. The first movie was filmed after Season Four, but its continuity falls between the events of the Season 5 finale and the Season 6 premier, when the movie initially aired. But where AoS highlights the movies, Fight the Future was meant to highlight the television show, and is referenced later in Season Eight by both Mulder and Scully.

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 11:12 PM, gege4220 wrote:

I love the show! It reminds me of a long comic book episode; those annuals I used to read as a kid. Now with the advance technology, the show can expand from child to adult levels of excitement. Now that we have had 14 episodes I just go back and look at each past episodes and connecting each individual storylines (Clairvoyant's, Skye's origin, and the Deathlok project) trying to come up with the REAL connections to the characters and stories.

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 11:21 PM, dtwilliamson wrote:

I'm a huge fan of AOS but i admit i am extremely disappointed with the way the show has been handled. The horrible Thor tie in. oh wow they picked up his mess and met another asgardian. LAME!! i hope they fix it and make it better.. oh and this reporter forgetting about Joss Whedons Buffy and Angel series shows me that he doesnt do his research. Epic FAIL. and i still watch my Firefly DVD's...

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 1:13 AM, KevCartwright wrote:

I love the show and for all the reasons cited in the article (anchor, glue and advertising) as well as it keeps us diehard Comic and Marvel fans engaged with current and new material. I do think it suffers from the NCIS effect as someone stated as well. Best thing I think it can do is just be what it is no apologies and do it right...meaning be true to the Marvel world. A few crossover movie character drive bys wouldn't hurt either.

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 1:48 AM, afroqueen wrote:

If you watched from the beginning (like I have) then you know that each episode builds upon the previous. They are plotting out a arc just like they do in the comics, most which btw come out ever month. So when I read something that insinuates that Marvel changed the series because of criticism and fan demand, I have to wonder if they even watched the show at all. Marvel had a plan for this show and they are executing it. For some it doesn't or didn't work...but for those of us who have stuck with the show, we see the progression in the episodes. What hurts the show, in my opinion, isn't the show itself but all the interruptions. No show can keep and grow a loyal fanbase when new episodes are only trickled out every few weeks.

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 3:56 AM, mimicject wrote:

uummmmm I liked this article until he started talking about previous shows he done. Because firefly and dollhouse were great shows. but if your going to talk about the past how can you not mention Buffy and Angle. love to watch. I know the point of him mentioning firefly and dollhouse, to point out supposed failing shows. and how they only went 1 or 2 season, but to be fair everyone has show or movies or album that don't catch the public eye.. So why mention them anyway..

Sorry about the spelling...

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 4:51 AM, Jeralrik wrote:

I really enjoy Agents of Shield but when it airs I'm unable to watch it, I wonder if this rating system takes into account fans that work second shift. I usually check it out later on Xfinity on Demand and can rewatch the previous episode's.

I enjoyed Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer and have them as a DVD set, Also Firefly I really really miss this show and have watched the movie several times.

Someone mentioned X-Files and Stargate and have thoroughly enjoyed both those series and have completed the collections on both those series and have rewatched them on numerous times.

I actually wished Joss Whedon had worked with Legend of the Seeker as that show was really getting good then ended after 2 seasons.

Marvel's Agents of Shield can only get better but I understand wanting to see a Super Hero from time to time to help the momentum of the series.

Be cool to see some of the lesser Super Heroes instead of the mainstream hero's like The Falcon, Emma Frost, Luke Cage and Iron Fist and other often forgotten heroes.

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 6:43 AM, phreejak wrote:

I quit watching about 6 episodes into the season and just watch Arrow now to get my superhero fix...

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 7:32 AM, Leonidas04 wrote:

Im really disappointed in the quality of this show. The real problems are the casting, writing, and uninteresting characters. Marvel made a huge mistake with casting. Joss Whedon does not write for AOS so I wont expect the "Whedoneque" touch. Remember this was the guy who really discoved Sarah Michelle Gellar, Nathan Fallon, David Boreanaz, and others who have had a very successfull TV/movie career after their respective shows ended. I dont see anyone on AOS having similar success. Unfortunately, ABC is finding out that casting, writing, and casting really matter in an environment where there is high quality high bar/critically acclaimed TV shows like Game of Thrones, Breaking BAd, Banshee, Blacklist, NCIS, True Detective, Sleepy Hollow, Person of Interest, Arrow and pretty much any show on USA. It seems like Marvel/Disney think fans want "more superheros from the movies" when all fans really want are compelling,interesting characters and stories. Disney needs to just look at a show on their network called Once Upon A Time which really hits out of the park with tone, family appear, and just the right amount of darkness.

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 8:03 AM, Droppo wrote:

I wonder how much better the show might get if Joss Whedon actually got more involved again. Like... maybe write and direct some episodes instead of just starting it up and letting it go to other people. Part of the interest in the show for some people was that it was being developed by Whedon. It smacks of Twin Peaks to me, where David Lynch and Mark Frost created the series, but it slowly lost direction and died while other people wrote and directed it in season two. It went from the number one rated show on tv to... cancelled.

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 8:25 AM, JustAGuyNamedJoe wrote:

I fear it will go the way of my favorite TV ever, Firefly, and bite the dust after one season. Of course, I was also a fan of the live action Tick show...and that got canned after only 9 episodes.

Agents of SHIELD is great stuff - cleverly written with lots of character development and plot layering. Too many people, I think, just want to see Thor hit things and Hulk smash. This show is mildly cerebral, very in depth and has a wonderful, compelling cast. Heck, it represents the first time I've ever paid for one and zeroes, too: I have a season pass to download all the eps on iTunes. I've never done that before.

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 8:39 AM, Readyhere wrote:

AOS is the only show I watch every week. I am not a science fiction fan at all, but I love this show. Go figure.

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 9:01 AM, ppocket119 wrote:

I stopped watching NCIS when Ziva left so that freed me up for SHIELD. My issue is that I keep forgetting that it is on and I end up missing the first half. If it were on at 9 pm I would be able to catch the whole thing each week.

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 9:57 AM, ehao wrote:

ABC needs to let it go. The movies stand well on there own for obvious reasons. Like many fans, I was looking forward to the show's premiere and like many fans, I was greatly disappointed. Why was I disappointed? Two words. Joss Whedon. Joss Whedon is trying to prove to himself or to the world that he is not a failure at tv. Avengers was not successful because of Joss Whedon. Avengers was successful because of Iron Man 1 and 2, Captain America, Hulk and Thor. They could have gotten Bill O'Reilly to write and direct Avengers and it still would have been a major success. Those hanging onto the show all agree with one thing, too much talking and not enough action. That's all Joss Whedon. With shows like Dexter and Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones, how can male audiences tune in to a family friendly show like AOS. The male audience for this show are gone for good. The only males probably still watching are the hard core Whedon fans. There's just not enough.

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 10:52 AM, zackshack wrote:

I like the show. Granted, it's not as exciting as the movies, but as a tie-in I think it works. I agree with most of the posts I have read....a little more action, less breaks between airings, ratings are poor due to the competition...but unlike, Fox, which cancelled "Firefly" before it had a chance, I am happy to see ABC/Disney standing behind it, even if it is a glorified ad for their feature films.

The current cycle, "Uprising", is getting better than the first part of the season. I think the actors are fine, even charming (talking to you Fitz-Simmons). We are finally getting some decent character development and good story lines. Keep on the fine path S.H.I.E.L.D.

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 11:54 AM, RBN10 wrote:

I love the show. The main issue I have is that there are SO many multiple week breaks between episodes. Even as a loyal "Marvel lover", I find myself losing interst because it has been 3 weeks since the last episode, and find out it'll be 2 more weeks till the next one.

The show itself is great, I like that it is set w/in the "Marvel Universe".

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 12:22 PM, Edge13 wrote:

"... It is also notably the first live-action sci-fi TV show besides Star Trek to take place in a continuous universe as its films..."

Ummm, what about the Stargate franchise?? 1994 movie followed by 3 TV spinoffs (SG-1, Atlantis, Universe, and 2 made for TV movies with the SG1 cast....

I'm sure there must be others....

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 12:29 PM, cmrk3 wrote:

I like shows where the main characters do not stay permanently dead. AOS is good at this.

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 2:38 PM, jbillz wrote:

Not a very smart move to put a good show up against ratings juggernauts.....You would think ABC/Disney would have more sense and put the show in a timeslot it can actually win!!!

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 6:32 PM, CapAmerica805 wrote:

I seem to remember the first season of all the Star Trek seasons sucking pretty bad but they ultimately got better.

Marvel has an ace they can always play by getting a movie star to come in for a 3 or 4 parter. Ratings are low? Call up Sam Jackson for a shared story line. Its sweeps week? Lets have Chris Evans do a small story line.

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 6:46 PM, msorrentino wrote:

I think the big problem for AoS is that a big part of its target audience does not use traditional TV services. I for example watch both Once Upon a Time and Agents of SHIELD on Hulu. However, since ABC has implemented an 8 day delay; I have to wait a whole week after the show airs on TV to watch the episodes. I can almost guarantee it, that if Disney had released the whole season on Netflix or Hulu about 2 weeks prior to the release of Captain America The Winter Soldier, the show would have been received much better. The characters are interesting as are the plots, the pacing is messed up.

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 8:07 PM, hjames wrote:

I watched this show for the first five episodes and gave it more of a chance than I would have given any other show simply because I love watch Marvel and Disney has done with their Marvel Universe adn I want it to keep up. But I simply couldnt take it anymore after episode 5. The show sucks point blank and I heard it did get alot better but I was done with it by then. I look at a show like Arrow which is about a comic book hero as well and see that this damn show is just way better than I thought it would be. Great complex characters, great story line and some pretty good action seens. I wonder why Marvel can't make SHIELD as good as DC has made Arrow. I mean whats going on here? It does feel like this show is just there to promote the Marvel movies like a big ass commercial and that is not what I want. I signed on to the Marvel channel on YouTube for that purpose I dont need this show for that. I am afraid to return to this show because it was so goddamn bad! Whats going on here?

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 9:42 PM, snm82 wrote:

The only serious problem with AOS is the timeslot. Choosing to go head to head with both the Voice and NCIS was suicidal for a show intended to be a tentpole for ABC. The stories have continued to grow and get more interesting. The acting is at least average. The characters make for a nice balance. What ABC did wrong was choosing Tuesdays at 7. Had they chosen Mondays or Thursdays they would have won the slot.

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 10:09 PM, Jackmck1 wrote:

SHIELD is the Deep Space Nine of the Marvel Universe. I enjoy this show immensely, Good story telling takes a while to build the front end - The First Act. Then things start happening.

Anyone complaining about scheduling are not up on current TV technology. I like both Shield and NCIS & I Use DVR's and FIOS On-demand to watch them all. I never watch real time anyway.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2014, at 12:31 AM, 3dpenguin wrote:

Joss got screwed by Fox in both cases. In the first case of Firefly Fox had no intentions on picking it up past the initial season, and once it became popular they held onto the rights like leaches to prevent him from taking it to Universal who was interested in giving it full consideration, Fox only agreed to make it because they wanted more Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. They then screwed him on Dollhouse by agreeing to produce the show and not giving it budget to be done properly. And Joss isn't the only person Fox had screwed in this manner, they did it to Chris Carter and Matt Groening over the years also, making production agreements just to extend contracts on a particular show.

As for SHIELD it has the problem with finding a fan base because Marvel fans are wanting super heroes and everybody else isn't sure what to make of it.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2014, at 12:58 AM, SuntanIronMan wrote:

@3dpenguin

Dollhouse didn't have a very good first season, but Fox still renewed it for a second. Fox didn't have to renew it for a second (and, if anything, they probably should have renewed The Sarah Connor Chronicles instead), but they did renew it. Fox gave the show a fair shot.

I wanted to like Dollhouse. I really enjoyed Buffy and Angel, liked Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men, and thought Firefly was okay. I know it is a popular thing to blame Fox for anything Whedon-related, but Dollhouse just wasn't a very good show.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2014, at 9:27 AM, decoren45 wrote:

I see Agents of shield as a big missed opportunity and the biggest problem is that it is treated like a commercial for the upcoming films. Its not a good stand alone show, I almost feel that show has a buffy the vampire slayer formula to it (a show i loved). It needs more edge and more bite, shield comes off as a "hokey" agencies unlike its dangerous film counterpart. I dont care about the cameos. I think agents of shield needs to find its own voice. Its can reference the films that its attached to but it needs to find more of its own footing without relying on the dust or the hype of its film counterparts. One of the main downfalls of the show I feel is the show's cast of characters and the luke warm story which was Coulsen's big secret. I feel the show should have bigger ideas. The show needs to be more sinister and the group has to be asked to do things in the name of shield or the greater good that might be against their personal moral code. I guess what I am saying is the show is playing it safe and too worried about tying in events from the movies than trying to be good in its own right. I think even 2 years to 3 years later looking back at this show it might even feel dated. My 2 cents. But, hey, what the hell do I know right?

• Report this Comment On March 14, 2014, at 6:36 PM, bdphoenix wrote:

I love this show!! And apparently, I am not the only one. I like the subtle tie-ins to the movies and that the writers are managing to keep the references straight as each new movie comes out (i.e., Lady Sif referencing that Thor had told her that Coulson was killed at the hands of Loki). I'd love to see more cameos (Fury and Lady Sif were awesome!). And I mean, one of the main movie icons...Thor, Loki, Stark.... Perhaps for ratings sweeps??