Why Windows 8.1 With Bing Is a Win for Microsoft

There's been a lot of speculation lately that Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT  ) may have two new versions of Windows 8 in the pipeline: a low-cost version and a free version bundled with Bing. However, these two might actually be one and the same. Reports are now emerging that these two rumors will actually be the same thing, a new version of Windows 8 with an inexpensive licensing fee that will be heavily bundled with Bing, and will be targeting lower-cost devices. The goal of the new release will be to drive usage of Bing, OneDrive and other Microsoft services.

In this segment from Friday's Tech Teardown, Motley Fool tech and telecom bureau chief Evan Niu discusses what this will mean for PC vendors, for consumers, and for Microsoft. Evan notes that after the rise of iOS and Android, which both use completely different pricing strategies to Microsoft, Microsoft's pricing power has been somewhat damaged. Evan then looks at the new low cost pricing strategy, and compares it to the old model of charging $50 licensing fees.

So if PCs are in trouble, where is computing going next?
If you thought the iPod, the iPhone, and the iPad were amazing, just wait until you see this. One hundred of Apple's top engineers are busy building one in a secret lab. And an ABI Research report predicts 485 million of them could be sold over the next decade. But you can invest in it right now... for just a fraction of the price of AAPL stock. Click here to get the full story in this eye-opening new report.

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 5:42 PM, rcmpvern wrote:

A pig.

Now with Bing!

Sounds like a winner for sure, Fool.

• Report this Comment On March 09, 2014, at 10:46 PM, gowanz wrote:

While Windows 8.1 may be a "winner" for Microsoft, I believe it can only claim that accolade if it is both efficient and easy to use for the customer. I mho it is difficult to use and synchronise as it was intended. If each copy comes with a specialist technician it may be a winner. I have been a fan of computers since 1975, but I find that Win 8 or 8.1 is difficult to use. It could do with being more customer friendly for the average user.

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 5:45 AM, Lyle1969 wrote:

Win 8.1 is a difficult transition, in my experience.

But once accustomed to it, it seems like a decent product. Especially because of security issues, I've made the painful transition to 8.1.

I think in the long run it will pay off, although Bing is still junk. Fortunately, it works well with Chrome.

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 2:33 PM, cjaying wrote:

Hmmm....I have not found the switch to Win 8 and then 8.1 to be one bit painful. Guess I like "junk" because Bing is a much better experience than Google. Switched sometime ago and I've never looked back or given one moment of thought to returning. Love Bing!!!

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 9:39 PM, adlskfj wrote:

If you buy a touchscreen, it's a WINNER! I have more devices on which to load Windows 8, with no limits on how powerful the device can be: Hybrids, High Compute Power tablets, LCP tablets, Laptops and Desktops. I own more Windows devices than ever before. With the Desktop & Snap an App program views, I can simultaneously watch multiple video feeds, or watch a video, while reading/ monitoring multiple information sources ON A TABLET! And, I can set my other apps to notify me when new info is available! Now I can keep some apps Snapped, while other programs are loaded on my Desktop view. It's easy to toggle between the two different program views; no more rearranging my windows. No other operating system has 2 different program views. And, I can add my Desktop view to Snap an App. My devices fill both entertainment and business needs. My old devices can't come close to matching the functionality or the speed of the multi-window information access on Windows 8.1. Learn it and LOVE it!

• Report this Comment On March 10, 2014, at 11:02 PM, techy46 wrote:

It's quite amusing how Windows 8 proves one thing, how uninformed most users are about how to actually adapt, set up and use a real operating system. I guess that's why Apple (easy) and Google (free) products are so popular. Windows 8 is easy to use if you have a touch screen device. If you don't have a touch screen then set it up to boot to the Desktop by default. I having used all of Microsoft's OS find it's best to NOT upgrade a device purchase with one OS to a newer OS. That also holds true for Windows XP, 7 and 8.