Burger King Hits McDonald's Where It Hurts

Source: Burger King.

We probably should have seen this coming. After all, for the last few months, Burger King Worldwide (NYSE: BKW  ) has taken its royal crown back amid strategic moves aimed directly at dethroning its larger rival McDonald's (NYSE: MCD  ) . The latest policy change from Burger King threatens a key McDonald's demographic as the Home of the Whopper ups the stakes.

McDonald's getting a bad run of cards
Domestic same-store sales growth for McDonald's has gone from bad to worse. This started right around the time Burger King began its one-on-one card game with the launch of Satisfries last September. The company boasts that the fries have "40% less fat [and] 30% fewer calories than the leading French fries." The leading French fries being the ones McDonald's serves, of course.

In that quarter of the launch, McDonald's domestic same-store sales were up a modest 0.7%, which isn't terrible considering the company's already massive size. From there, domestic same-store sales gained only 0.2% in October, and the tumble began in November with a 0.8% decline. In the fourth quarter, results dropped by 1.4%, which puts the December drop in the 1.5% to 2% range. In January, the downward momentum continued with a 3.3% plunge.

Source: Burger King.

Whopper-size bets
While McDonald's was busy dilly-dallying with apple slices and Mighty Wings that seemingly nobody really wants, Burger King saw McDonald's unattended Big Mac and raised it a Big King. The Big King looks and sounds like a Big Mac, with two patties, three buns, and special sauce. The company even pushes the comparison in its marketing.

Next, Burger King saw the McRib sandwich and raised it a $1 BK BBQ rib sandwich of its own, only at a fraction of the cost. This was no coincidence.

Burger King continues to place bets, eyeing a piece of McDonald's large bankroll. The company announced a partnership to quickly move into France for the first time, one of McDonald's most successful markets in Europe. Burger King's goal is to take 20% of the market as soon as possible there.

Burger King's chips continue to fly into the pot. It's launching more exotic coffees aimed at the McCafe. It brought on a spicy chicken sandwich similar to McDonald's spicy chicken sandwich. Then there's the redesigning, or reimaging, of restaurants that has been going on for quite some time already. Pop into a reimaged Burger King, and you'll probably notice it looks much like a reimaged McDonald's. You get the idea.

Burger King moves all-in
On March 4, Burger King announced that its Satisfries will now be the standard french fries with the Kid's Meal. Burger King says, "This reduced fat, reduced calorie menu item will provide children with a crinkle cut option that tastes so good, kids will never know they're lower-fat."

Chief Marketing Officer Eric Hirschhorn points out that kids are picky, but the Satisfries taste tests were a success. Parents get to reduce the fat and calories in their kids' diets while the kids don't have to sacrifice taste. It's a win for everybody.

Source: Burger King.

Recall that McDonald's felt a bit of the sting surrounding the negative publicity from the documentary Super Size Me. McDonald's has been often criticized for targeting children with unhealthy food. The child demographic has always been a decent chunk of its sales. Burger King's latest move to focus more on improving the health of kids but doing so in stealth mode potentially makes Burger King look better while giving McDonald's a fresh black eye.

Foolish final thoughts
There are two modes we've seen over the years in the burger wars: defensive and offensive. Look for McDonald's to respond in one way or the other; lately it has been in no mode at all, it seems, leaving the company wide open to sneak attacks by Burger King. For Burger King, I suspect we have yet to see the last of its introductions. Look for more to come as well as continued same-store sales improvements, and watch for more slippage of same-store sales by McDonald's.

Can you imagine investing in Burger King back when it had just a few restaurants?
Opportunities to get wealthy from a single early investment in companies like Burger King or McDonald's don't come around often, but they do exist -- and our chief technology officer believes he's found one. In this free report, Jeremy Phillips shares the single company that he believes could transform not only your portfolio, but your entire life. To learn the identity of this stock for free and see why Jeremy is putting more than $100,000 of his own money into it, all you have to do is click here now.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 10:36 AM, VegasSmitty wrote:

Colon cancer on a bun!

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 11:12 AM, MafiosoDon wrote:

Burger King can do all it wants with their menu, but until they put more emphasis on customer service they will never beat McDonalds. It has been many years since there was decent service in any Burger Kings anywhere.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 11:36 AM, ozzlefinch wrote:

I wish Burger King would bring back the onion rings. You know, the rings with onions in them. I got something off the menu last week that said "onion rings", but all I got was deep fried onion flavored bread rings. No onions.

And it would be nice if BK would bring back the flame broilers. The new restaurants in my area don't have one. They microwave the pre-cooked burger patty and throw it on a bun for you. At least they have the airbrushed grill stripes, but the flavor is gone.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 11:44 AM, SanPasqual wrote:

I won't shop BK for reason that they exploit low cost illegal immigrant laborers for their back room work, including food prep. McD's has a better record on this, but the food sucks ... hear that, Warren? I now go to In-And-Out ... you don't have to know Spanish to order a burger, and their menu, simple as it is, doesn't suck.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 11:49 AM, djconklin wrote:

Don't get too impressed with BK's strides. It took management 15 years to come up with one of my ideas that I tried to interest them in. At the rate they are going it will take 600 years for them to cover all the bases in my list.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 11:49 AM, firefly61 wrote:

Go Burger King! Eat McDonalds lunch! You have had the best burger all along and now your fries are at the top of the list. Your breakfast is even better. Hope you put em out of business.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 11:55 AM, bigfoot wrote:

That is too bad the new Burger Kings look like a new McDs on the inside because on the inside the new McDs suck.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 11:55 AM, bjriddle wrote:

Say what you want about Burger King, I love their food. The only bad thing I can say about them Is their soda cups. The ice melts to fast and the cups sweats and leaves water in your car cup holders, as for the onion rings I like them better than other fast food companies.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 11:58 AM, Wh01me wrote:

As A name recognized in most homes the anonymity of the internet allows for comments to be made and not reflected back to the individual or company.

Many of the above comments are obvious corporate reactions.

They are worthless as is mine and I am a world renowned chef.

Burger King has terrible customer service.

But, their food is hand over fist better tasting than McDonald's.

With that said, except in dire emergency one should not eat at either fast food destination.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:02 PM, frankoson wrote:

a friend and I went to Burger King and tried their big king although it looks like the big mac and has a similar taste it fall far short as the meat is about half the size as the big mac it doesn't even make it to the edge of the bun and its thin like a sheet of paper nice try burger king but you fell short again

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:05 PM, Sharona61bio wrote:

I would love to see McDonald's fall into the abyss. I haven't eaten there in years. Food is awful. I actually like the taste of Burger King and in my opinion, their fries are the best.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:10 PM, BigApple wrote:

The Whopper has always beat the BigMac. McDonald's has the frappe which is why I go there...just as good as a starbucks version for 1/3 the cost. None of it is health food so just don't go there a lot.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:14 PM, Vousdoo wrote:

I hadn't been to a BK in years. I used to love their flame broiled Whopper. Recently, I saw their ads for the Big King and thought I'd try it out since I enjoy a Big Mac from time to time.

I was sorely disappointed. The Big King was a mess, lettuce cut in all different sizes falling out the sides of the burger, the buns so uneven so it looked like a spread out deck of cards versus a stacked burger.

Won't go back. Sorry BK, you used to be great.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:14 PM, bigjohn327 wrote:

if the meat was half the size of the big mac...there would be zero as the big mac has almost no meat

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:16 PM, gccrowe1 wrote:

I heard that McDonald's has placed a time limit on eating. If nothing else brings them down this will.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:19 PM, dbm4624 wrote:

Love BK's '2 for $5' spicy chicken sandwiches; it's meant to be 'fast food' not 'healthy' and tastes great!!

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:19 PM, Pastblasting wrote:

Burger King has great food and ambiance. I've never had anyone at Burger King tell me it was time to go. I've never had anyone at any Burger King ask me if the dust flying in the air was bothering me. Never has a Burger King employee been anything other than friendly and helpful to me. Concerning these things at McDonald's; Don't know. I don't go there.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:25 PM, mugsy407 wrote:

McDonalds is cutting their own throats because of lousy service. They cannot get an order correct, get mad when you bring it to their attention.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:27 PM, Mo3 wrote:

14 years ago me and my buddy ate at Burger King and each got a burger. Days later I got really sick with what I thought was the flu. A week later finally went it and had something similar to E. Coli, the pictures of my colon and lower G.I. were disgusting, mucous and blood ulcers. Took something called pyramid medication, all seemed good. Until, I went through enormous long term stress 2 years later and ended up with what I thought once again was a bad flu. After another week of not being able to hold down anything, stuff passed through within seconds with violent stomach pains and cramping, etc. back in I went. Ulcerative Colitis. I think this is what I had since the beginning. Bad bacteria from a Burger King burger that pyramid meds helped but the storm was laying dormant. This gastro-intestinal thing is SOMETHING YOU DO NOT WANT! I got not just one but two blood ulcers from it. BTW.... My buddy got all the same thing I did. I have NEVER eaten Burger King again.

Like someone posted here, "Colon Cancer on a Bun!" And yes I am a prime candidate for colon cancer... Thanks Burger King. Perhaps you can pay for all my medical bills for the past years and my funeral if UC takes me.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:32 PM, marc61 wrote:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...If I was McDonalds I would say "Thanks for the compliment and I hope you continue to recognize we're number one!"

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:36 PM, Jheebo wrote:

Until BK gets rid of the steamer, where burgers and buns alike soak in water, they will never be able to give us a good sandwich like they did in the early days.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:38 PM, UncleBobLargo1 wrote:

What I hate about McDonalds: 1) They have cut back on several of there menu items and raised the prices of what they do have. 2) They offer more drink's than the average fast food buyer really wants. 3) They focus more on drive up customers and ignore the walk in customers. This said, I don't go to McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, KFC, Taco Bell or any other fast food places. Mass produced food just can't be good for a person.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:39 PM, bigalnc wrote:

The stock industry loves the emphemery of "same store sales" and other measures which supposedly measure stock value.

Yet in real life, even industry leaders suffer ups and downs that little effect the ACTUAL value of stock, and rather ONLY justifies the money shuffling upon which modern stock maneuvering depends.

There is nothing here for investors, EXCEPT those that play based on infinitesimally small margins - which excludes ALL but the mechanized, computerized "retail" investment houses.

Truth is McDonald's has proven over an exceptional period that it is industry leader for a reason, and hour by hour variations only play to those that amass wealth without regard to economic value, or real economic truth.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:39 PM, behramia1 wrote:

I love Burger King because food & price is right.I avoid McDonald charges are too high ,they hand the food like if they are feeding the Sparrows.Rip of prices at MacDonald that is why I prefer to go to Burger King even if I have to drive extra mile.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:40 PM, lone wrote:

b-k over Mcnasty's any day you can't pay me to eat there. they need to make something that tastes like food.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:41 PM, Sleepy2323 wrote:

Mcdonalds fries are definitely better tasting. If you really want a good burger you need to go to Hardee's and get one of their thick burgers. They are excellent.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:43 PM, unclesam328 wrote:

MY local BK has a problem with food quality. I have boycotted that store for 3 years. My McD has a problem with sanitation. Even the manager was scratching his head, handling money, and then handling food and drinks without washing their hands. I've been there only twice to try their coffee. Local food inspections are a farce. Even my Wendy's have served me really poor food. I have worked the food service industry. It is a simple fact that they are too lazy to follow the rules and procedures that they supposedly have been trained. The only fast food place I consistently get good food and service is Arby's.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:51 PM, rationalist wrote:

Neither one of them should count as food. McDonald's still uses pink slime in their burgers, so no thank you. I suppose they aren't all this way, but each BK I have been in over the past few years, the few times I have gone there, has been dirtier than the last. The McDonald's I have seen at least appear in good repair and clean from the outside. All the BKs looks like they are falling apart and haven't been cleaned in years.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:56 PM, quasimodo007 wrote:

what do expect from Mcdonalds who rob their Hourly workers.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:56 PM, xc4 wrote:

Leaving aside the question of the nutritional value of McDonalds food I suspect McDonalds problem isn't so much Burger King, although I do think Burger King has significantly improved their breakfast menu, as it is the value of what you get for what you pay. Put another way, McDonalds used to be a place you could get a quick meal at a very reasonable price. I do not believe that is any longer the case. Perhaps customer value has been replaced by shareholder value ie the stock price.

When you look at some of their offerings, it's almost laughable. Their 'dollar menu' items are worthless including the paper thin hamburger. Why bother? Their $3.00 fish sandwich isn't much better considering that only half a piece of cheese will completely overlap the miniature piece of fish and then of course there is the Big Mac which over the years has transformed itself into a Little Mac.

Over the last couple years I've come across quite a few people who have come to the same conclusion. Like me, McDonalds for them is no longer an option when looking for a quick bit to eat. I think your far better off skipping McDonalds, spending a buck or two more per person and getting some value for your money.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:59 PM, RudeKitty wrote:

I don't eat at either place; but think this is interesting because regardless the state I'm in, as I drive by Burger Kings, they are utterly empty. I look and see employee vehicles- none other. The parking lots are usually run down, the outside looks unwelcoming. They've got a good way to go before they have a long line again from the looks of things.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 12:59 PM, zorro6204 wrote:

I rarely eat that . . . poison . . . , but out of curiosity I tried the big king, and it was pretty good. But one thing was the same, BK drive up is sssslloowwww. They need to study what Wendy's is doing, because I think alien technology must be involved there, and I don't mean south of the border. How they can assemble an order that fast is beyond me.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 1:07 PM, jimatmad wrote:

They rebuilt the local McDonald's into primarily a drive-thru place.

The inside is just as large, but they rerouted the traffic and parking so you can't park by the door any more and walk in. You have to park half a parking lot away and dodge the drive-thru cars to get to the door.

I usually ask for something a little different so they can't just toss a 'heat lamp special' at me, and it's really a pain waiting in the car for a special order.

In addition, the only thing on the non-breakfast menu that was edible was the Chicken Strips. So, of course they stopped making those.

I stopped going.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 1:16 PM, DanLef wrote:

Burger King's burgers made us sick almost every time we ate there. I stopped eating at Burger Kings almost entirely except for their Ice Cream cones.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 1:24 PM, WalkingMan wrote:

Flame broiled is best. But, McD's sausage biscuit is pretty good! Not going to make much from my once or twice a year visit.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 1:27 PM, sabebrush6 wrote:

Mickey D's is sooooo yesterday.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 1:42 PM, cityperson wrote:

Both McD's fries and Burger King fires both taste terrable, by not using good oil as before instead of this PC oil.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 1:45 PM, flatbedbill wrote:

I used to go to McDonalds, Burger King, Arby's, etc. I don't patronize them anymore. Now I go to the "In 'N Out" franchise in Mill Valley off Hwy 101.

I got tired of having to constantly repeat my order,

only to find out that they still didn't get it right because nobody behind the counter or in the

prep area speaks or reads English. At "In 'N Out"

(almost next door to Micky Dee's) everybody speaks fluent English, and they don't skrew your

order up. Most important, their employees seem

happy. I understand that they make more dinero than the employee's of McDonalds, AND you

must speak ENGLISH to work there. It's like walking into paradise; it's actually refreshing not to have to repeat yourself over and over, and you can actually understand every word they say without trying to decipher it through a thick accent.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 1:46 PM, JoeGuy wrote:

i'll take mcd's over bk; but, I rarely eat there. I find steak and shake is your best value.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 1:47 PM, mandiloon wrote:

Funny thing happened the other day, Decided to stop at McDonalds. However, the two lines waiting for food at McDonalds stretched all the way across the parking lot which was also full of cars. Decided to leave and as I did so, I looked over at Burger King. I

1 car in the drive-thru and 3 cars in the parking lot. I guess Burger King has not gotten the word out as to how much better they were doing than McDonald's/

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 1:50 PM, dianrib wrote:

BK v Mc D's Not so much difference Most not all Mc D 's seem cleaner . McD fries are good when hot. Wendys food is a bit better .

. Steak & Shake $4.00 meals are best of all 3 .Many Local burgers joints are very good.

I prefer those.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 1:54 PM, Sabres452000 wrote:

BOTH MCDONALDS & BK are horrible. THEY USE CANCER causing agents in their breads, meats, fries and its ALL GMO--genetically modified organisms. Their soda's are full of high fructose corn syrup and aspartame, aculfame.... all GMO, cancer causers, & guaranteed to fatten you up. STOP EATING AT those places and that goes for Kentucky Fried Chicken, taco bell, wendy's, chucky cheese etc. STOP BEING SHEEP to the slaughter.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 1:56 PM, quacker wrote:

mcD's gives me gas and cramps i dont know what the stuff is made of but it aint food.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 2:01 PM, sapp7991 wrote:

I can't eat any of these fast food items. The food is full of fat, preservatives and who knows what else. I have been known to frequent Chipotle on a regular basis and sometime I will go to Jason Deli but other then that I tend to not eat out. Employees in fast food places are not taking pride in the work they do because it's a minimum wage job and they know it. It shows in the attitude of the service they give to the customers and it shows on the quality of food that is being served. Pay the people more, hire people that actually want to work and that actually care about the customers and then these businesses will see an increase in revenue.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 2:04 PM, queenBee14 wrote:

All posters here are headed for health headaches

if you are eating any one of these 'cardboard'

foods. They taste good because they

are loaded with sugar and fat. Wait till your

arteries clog up, then the fun begins. And their

health practices are dependent on cheap labor,

who could care less about washing their hands.

Who knows where their meat comes from. A $1

for a buger. Get real, probably the cheapest crap

on the planet.

If, IF I have to eat fast food, I will go to Jimmy Johns, or Chipolte'sm ir Subway(at least they verify their food suppliers).,

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 2:06 PM, fat2fit wrote:

These fast food company's just don't get it. Do they really think that we as consumers can be fooled by the foods they sell? THIS is what WE as CUSTOMERS really want.

1. Improved customer service, none of any of the employers have ever given us a smile.

2. Improvements in the drive-through, We should never have to get to our destinations only to find out that my bag of food has someone else's order in it or that it is missing items. Sheesh, this really gets my anger going.

3. Offer repeat customer's loyalty cards. I would be a very happy customer if I get to rack up reward points every time I spend my hard earned cash at these restaurants.

4. Improve the foods that are being served. I ordered a quarter pounder without cheese and holy Moses, it looked like it had been kitchen around the kitchen and it HAD cheese on it. Took it back after standing in line for 20 min and had them get me another without cheese, and the look I got was equivalent to "if looks could kill", and it took 15 min to get another.

5. Yes, Americans really do want to eat healthy but we cannot seem to give up the love of the French fry, I make mine at home with the Actifry by T-Fal and OMG, these are perfection without frying in nasty heart killing grease. All restaurants have the power to anti up the healthy foods but they choose to throw frozen fries into a grease pot that is days old and be happy about it.

I prefer Burger King over McDonalds simply because the food is better tasting and they are trying to finally get us eating healthy on the run.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 2:11 PM, Trent wrote:

Burger King must have kicked McDonalds in the McNuggets!

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 2:20 PM, lexxx wrote:

I order burgers at in-n-out; the menu is simple good and the employees all speak English. McDs and BK you have to speak spanish or they will not help you.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 2:22 PM, mbraxtonechols wrote:

Personally, I don't eat at any of these fast food restaurants, (ie, BK, McD's, Popeye's, KFC, etc., etc., etc.) As I am a diabetic, there's nothing healthy at any of them. Besides, even if I weren't diabetic...their food and customer service, leaves a lot to be desired. If I'm eating out...it's going to be at a really good restaurant; not at a chain restaurant.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 2:30 PM, nighthawk1 wrote:

All I know is my own opinion, and I have tasted the new fries from BK and they are 100 times better than any competitors and even better than their own original fries. As far as customer service goes, it all depends on where you live. Here in east tx McDs customer service is by far the worst and you can tell when you walk into a BK or a McDs around here. BK seems to be more of an upscale fast food establishment. McDs food just taste cheap. This is just a comparison between the 2. There are to many others to compare them all.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 2:31 PM, SelenaGomez wrote:

Bad service is bad service.

nasty food is nasty food

and

Unsanitary restaurants are unsanitary restaurants.

Give me a good wiener any day!

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 2:33 PM, SelenaGomez wrote:

I loves me a good wiener. No nasty burgerses or frieses for this wiener lover!

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 2:43 PM, airjackie wrote:

Next move is to allow Seniors all the time they need to eat as McDonald's limits the time to 30 minutes and then kicks Seniors out. Healthy foods are always the best choice anyway. Let the games begin.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 2:43 PM, Tailgunner33 wrote:

They all have their weak points and strong points. I usually go to McD's 'cause I take frequent road trips, and the interstates are lined with McD's franchises. BK had sorry coffee til about 15 years ago, but they changed to a coffee as good as MCD's (maybe a little better). I've never had a bad cup of coffee at any McD's anywhere in the country, any time of day or night. Service, cleanliness, etc, depend on local management more than anything. I've had good experiences at both, can't say I've ever been dissatisfied at either one.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 2:49 PM, verycold wrote:

I never eat at either place unless in an emergency situation like I am on the road and nothing else is open. I own a restaurant and I know the quality of food these fast food places use. Yuck. It is amusing how many post on here that they are not customers, and yet millions are lined up daily at these fast food places. The quality will continue to diminish because the food industry is under attack by the WH. BTW, the money is being made selling soft drinks, teas, etc. If nobody got a drink at any of these fast food places, but did eat there, the prices would be drastically adjusted upwards.

What i do think is ridiculous is to suggest that any customer of these chains thought they were buying food that was good for them. It is like the notion that people do not realize that soft drinks and cigs are bad for you. I don't care what the qualify of education, people know they just don't care.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 2:51 PM, fsox39 wrote:

Burger King vs McDonald's, well it's a toss up depending on where and when you make your purchase. I stopped going inside McDonald's [because I thought you would receive better and quicker service], then I got a GOOD LOOK at the cooks, the front employees falling all over each other, and the screaming and yelling, that I said "Heck with this", so whenever I go to McDonalds I stick to the drive through. As for Burger Kings ....... yep ..... they are coming up with some good "all-in-one Heart Attack Burgers" ........

and they taste pretty good, but I not going inside .... too afraid of what I might see?

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 2:55 PM, BobinTexas wrote:

The only thing I go to McD for is their breakfast. It is fast and reasonably tasty although it has too much fat. The big problem with BK in my area is that they have too few people working the stores. Lousy service is a killer for fast food places. When you go there, your aren't going for gourmet treats; you want to get in and out quickly. Indifferent employees make a huge difference.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 3:06 PM, PaleoMoxie wrote:

I've always preferred McDonald's over Burger King, but I don't eat at either now because I don't like how I feel afterwards. Would be interesting to see Burger King rule over McDonald's after McDonald's has been the empire for so long, but I don't see that happening.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 3:07 PM, johnnyrh wrote:

The "old" fast food chains(McD's, BK, and Wendy's) just plain suck. Over the years they have reduced their portion sizes, the buns are stale and fall apart, high in salt and fat.......and service generally is awful(3rd worlders).

Their lunch is being eaten by the "new guys on the block", In 'n Out, 5-Guys, Smash, etc. Better, fresher food, prepared fresh, larger portions.

It amazes me that the old chains aren't losing market share faster. People have far more fast dining choices today than they did 40-50 years ago.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 3:12 PM, oldpapajerry wrote:

I hadn't been in a Burger King for several years, mainly do to the poor quality, preferring Carl's Jr. or In and Out.

But two weeks ago I stopped in my local BK, and ordered the Wopper with cheese, it looked so good on the large picture on the window.

Because I was slightly disappointed with the product, I vowed never to go back.

But by Grand Son wanted to try their new fries and I thought that I would give it another try.

This time I used reverse psychology, when I ordered my Wopper, I asked that once it is assembled that they smash it down as far as they can, and to wait a few minutes to serve it to me, so that is is only luke warm.

The girl on the microphone was very polite and said that she could not serve it that way, because it would violate company policy.

I said, has the policy changed since last week?, because that is the way it was served then.

The Wopper did come out hot and was not smashed down.

It looked somewhat like the picture, but even McDonnalds has a hard time making the picture fit the food.

OPJ

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 3:20 PM, alparadise wrote:

Each one seems to do some things good in comparison to the others bad. BK has rotten coffee, McD's good. BK fires good, McD not some much. Etc, etc. This market goes up and down some but basically McDonalds is so big nothing can really challenge it. Others just fight for market share. BK has not been as good at taking other food trends and running with them (coffee, et al) and McDonalds pure size alone makes them able to control market forces.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 3:20 PM, Tyeward wrote:

If BK is gonna really hit where it really hurts, revamp the menu so that you have less chemical mess in the food and better more healthy choices. If you really want to hit Mac D´s, that´s the best way to do it.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 3:23 PM, m2dad wrote:

Remember when Burger King's advertising campaign was "Have it your way" ? It was essentially a campaign ridiculing McDonalds customer service in which requests for simple menu substitutions such as no mustard on a hamburger threw their whole system out of whack and would constitute up to a 10 minute wait.

These days Burger King employees don't seem to remember that ad campaign nor could care less. Burger King now stages their burgers like just about every body else. If you order a burger "Off the Broiler" (that is their own phrase to get a fresh patty cooked for your hamburger) they'll tell you your patty is just out of the broiler when in fact it has been staged in steam or water. How do you tell? Burgers not staged and right out of the broiler will still have the dark flame streaks on them, and the patty will be very hot. Staged patties are barely warm, overly soft and moist, and lack the intense char broil flavor of a "Off the Broiler" patty. Expect to wait about 5 mins if they truly make a fresh patty for you. Often, I will order "Off the Broiler" (it will show it even on the receipt) and in the time it takes me to drive from the outside speaker to the cashiers window with no cars in front of me, my order is waiting for me at the window. Apparently, they are able to defy the laws of physics.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 3:31 PM, Kummin wrote:

I can't remember the last time I was in a MickyDs or a Burger King.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 3:33 PM, lisamanv wrote:

I rarely eat fast food but BK is actually my favorite because of their grilled chicken sandwich. I order it without mayo though because they put way too much. Delicious.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 3:35 PM, mbjk1956 wrote:

Sorry but Burger King will NEVER cross my lips ever again. I have had food poisoning 4 times from 4 different locations in my life. I will not even trust a cup of coffee from there ever again. Long live McDonald's

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 3:45 PM, EW28 wrote:

Micky D's is finding out the hard way that customers don't like three things about their policies and procedures.

1) .25 cents for an extra condiment and .40 cents for a slice of cheese is RIDICULOUS! Why pay outrageous prices for things that should and could be absorbed in the already high price for their products? (Much like OBAMA-CARE, we pay too much for so little.)

2) A negative attitude, sloppy appearance and "suggestive selling" are TURN-OFFS to most if not all customers. (Customers aren't so STUPID that we need a pushy "used car salesman" that can't smile or dress themselves properly giving suggestions about anything! The president did this for the last 5 years and look at the mess we're in because of it.)

3) People trusted a CLOWN without any business experience or shared the same philosophy that once made a company great because they were promised that the "CHANGES" he made would be good for everyone. When those "changes" turn out to be lies and do more harm than good and he won't reverse course in order to salvage what he can in the best interest of the company, that CLOWN needs to be replaced. Until that happens, you can expect a KING to "out class" a CLOWN every time.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 3:47 PM, ladybug2014 wrote:

will be a long time before I eat at a Burger King again when you get a fresh bisquet with mold on it and management not seem to care. who need this not me

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 3:47 PM, uncoveror wrote:

There has never been a time when I liked the flavor of Burger King food better than McDonald's. I have also never felt sick after eating McDonald's nor have I read about an E coli outbreak from a McDonald's. I have been sick after eating Burger King, and have read about E coli outbreaks even after they changed meat suppliers.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 4:00 PM, Beezlebub wrote:

Any establishment that displays such an open contempt and disregard for customers has a very limited lifespan-Employing soup Nazis to evict customers when they go past 30 minutes is draconian and greedy-

At a McDonalds in Culpepper VA a WW2 veteran and his wife of 65 years were enjoying a quiet lunch in a vacant restaurant when a manager made them leave because they had gone past 30 minutes.This man and his wife were disrespected on so many levels yet the CORPORATE OFFICE of McDonald's only reply was to give them a coupon for free coffee.Is THIS the type of business that YOU want to support????

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 4:02 PM, klausmager wrote:

at the end of the day, it is junk food. All of it, there is no attempt to convey a nutritional balance with their menus. As more and more people wake up to what this does to their health, these concepts are all in trouble. To top it of, beef prices are going through the roof and will never come down again.

Great opportunity for local restaurants to provide a credible alternative, never been better to beat the chains at their game.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 4:16 PM, ferdiefor wrote:

I prefer to eat a much better hamburger at a brew house style restaurant and eat them less often.

Fast food is cheap food for the masses; nothing more and nothing much offered if you want to eat cheap food.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 4:22 PM, bothekla wrote:

so b.k. can only grow by imitating mcdonalds...hmmm. so i guess that means mcdonalds is still no. 1. i work at mcdonalds and know that their salaries depend on weather you work for a corporate store or for a franchise,and salaries at the franchises differ greatly. i know people who work for other fast food companies and salaries are about the same as mcdonalds. mcdonalds has introduced several new foods in the last year,and in this area anyway,the mighty wings are greatly popular. at any rate,i'm sure there is plenty of room for all the burger joints to live long and prosper

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 4:28 PM, fhorwah wrote:

I managed a Burger King in the early 80's and our goal was that from the time a person entered the store, they would have their order in 3 minutes.

Today; with McDonalds new number system, I find I have to wait 10 to 15 minutes to get a cup of coffee. I think McDonald's has the best coffee in town, but their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 4:32 PM, jcar01 wrote:

The problem that McDonald's has is that everyone has become aware of their FRANKENFOOD's that they try to pass off as healthy food like their chicken nuggets. People have analyzed these things and the toe lint on chickens has more chicken in it and less hazardous chemicals, etc. We don't want a damn laboratory experiment when we eat fast food. What happened to real quality hamburger meat fresh ground along with Non-GMO french fries fresh cut from REAL potatoes, etc. Cancer is on the rise in our nation due to the additives, preservatives and all the other junk that they put in processed and fast food.

Also, I assure you that most people don't know that their hamburger buns are made in Egypt when they eat at McDonald's. How safe is that? Couldn't some terrorist infiltrate the plant and poison millions of unsuspecting customers before everyone was aware of it?

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 4:35 PM, piggiewash wrote:

Talk about a kick to the old McNuggets! OOF!

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 4:35 PM, Alaine wrote:

Don't care what BK does.....you can't beat McDonald's french fries.......they are the best,,,,,,,,no one has to stupidly make them a daily routine.!!

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 4:35 PM, ukimok wrote:

At the end of the day there is a reason that BK is so much smaller. Simply copying everything your competitor does is NOT a business plan...its desperation. They have been doing this for years and all it ever nets them is a mere existence. From menu items to locations, to store remodels, its always the same. What McD needs to do is go back to focusing on customer service, menu simplicity and cleanliness while continuing to innovate as they always have. That's what leaders do.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 4:38 PM, freddiegofaster wrote:

The German versions of these U.S. based franchises have the right idea.....serve beer. The first one to do that in the U.S. will get more of my business.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 4:49 PM, uncensored wrote:

Most of the McDs in our area have obese managers and they are more managers than their employees. The majority of these managers can't even speak English. One thing that gets me is that they are just standing around doing nothing while there's only 1 cashier with a long line of customers waiting. In other words, these managers are getting paid more than their regular employees and the service is lousy. The price of the food is getting higher too. So it's not a surprise that McDs will soon go down the drain. I do not know the hiring process of McDs but I would fire the persons who hired this non-English speaking managers who are dead bodies in their jobs and get paid good money for it.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 4:59 PM, elputas wrote:

burger king is much better then McDonald's:..... burger king better taste and bigger. McDonald's is stingy and the worst employees in the whole industry. Burger king fried are excellent Burger King food & price is right. i will give strong points to burger king.Seniors all the time they need to eat as McDonald's limits the time to 20 minutes and then kicks Seniors out. McDonald's got no respect for seniors, i personally recommend seniors buy nothing to McDonald's. go to burger king they give you some love, care and attention. i'm fernando phone 6786124672

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 5:52 PM, mobadthangood wrote:

I don't understand why BK charges more for the Satisfries? They are nothing but "crinkle fries".

Why charge more for them?

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 6:02 PM, icandyinpa wrote:

Soo, let me get this straight. McDonald's sales are low and they appear to be headed into a downward spiral, Burger King seeing this trend decides to copy their food and remarket it? Hey Burger King, their sales are low because their food is crap! Get a clue!

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 6:03 PM, zrxman60 wrote:

I kinda prefer BK but I'm in the minority in my town, most of the time McDonalds is full of customers while BK just has one or two. Maybe that's the reason I like BK, because it's not so crowded..

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 6:17 PM, stephano01 wrote:

BK's fries are ok. McD's are best! But, the prices at McD's are getting ridiculous! And it seems they are always getting our order wrong @ the drive-thru!

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 6:18 PM, Fossilman01 wrote:

Burger King has the worst fries on the market-so blahhhhh!!!! Most of their burgers are garbage too! MC's hasn't any worries with BK!!

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 6:30 PM, Dewman8810 wrote:

Burger King will never be better than McDonald's because their service is terrible. Copying McDonald's is just showing they're still little brother. How many times have they changed their fries in the last 15 years? Now, they are bigger and you hardly get any at all in your order. The BK's by me are always empty, while the McD's are packed.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 6:40 PM, rickshelton53 wrote:

MCDONALDS

Is the place

For fast food ..not the best food ...

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 6:41 PM, rickshelton53 wrote:

Dairy Queen beats them both

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 6:50 PM, Paul52 wrote:

All these negative comments ...blah blah blah blah That's what they are saying. These fosts aren't forced on you ! You don't like them , DON'T FRICKEN EAT THEM ! BUT pls stop your DAMN WHINNING ! dang They whine it makes you fat, yea if your a pig and eat a lot ! They whine its unhealthy , well duh so is smoking cig., so is driving a car , so is breathing .. SO STOP .. They say BK service is bad , judging all by a couple places. LA, Detroit, Chicago ? well duh . MY store in Ark. was one of the BEST B.K. as far as Service. So stop your whinning

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 7:36 PM, drjekelmrhyde1 wrote:

Checkers is better

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 7:37 PM, bobl wrote:

I go in to my local McDonalds for their biscuit and gravy breakfast. It is pretty darn good. Don't know why all McDonalds don't have this product. That and their coffe, which is very good, are the only reasons I go there.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 7:45 PM, Monty4Watson wrote:

Hmm,,, Lets see now, McDonalds has 32,000 locations worldwide and Burger King about 12,000. Appears they have a way to go! Not sure where BK hurts it. Sounds like article was written by a BK PR personh

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 7:52 PM, tastin wrote:

Took my granddaughter to BK for Chicken Nuggets. Pulled out a feather, notified the co, got an apology letter from Tyson, with a coupon for more Chicken Nuggets, really? Decaf coffee was strong and bitter. Ice cream is Ice Slush. And No, I Do Not eat there any more.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 7:59 PM, MotleyT00L wrote:

You know where Burger King doesn't beat McDonalds? Share buybacks, dividends, p/e, EPS, free cash flow... Not saying they can't run a company, but they're nowhere near McDonalds.

On the other hand, maybe they can eat McDonalds lunch since they seem to have copied their menu.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 8:21 PM, lm1b2 wrote:

I never was a big fan of McDonalds but the truth is no matter what Burger King does,there food stinks ! At least McDonalds food is decent,but given a choice i would go to Wendy's LOL!

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 9:14 PM, IronWolf wrote:

Burger King has also dealt quite a blow to Mickey D's here in Kansas City, with the BK Whopper Bar, a place you can get a beer with that double whopper with cheese

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 9:16 PM, DJMedia wrote:

I agree with some of the comments I've read. The Bog Mac has turned into the Little Mac, for sure. I'd love to go to an In-N-Out Burger but those are on the west coast. I'm in Michigan :( I've been to a couple though and the burgers there are good; like smaller Red Robin Smilin' Burgers.

If McDonald's could keep their grease traps from stinking up the drive-thru, the fries (and nuggets) would be good. For some reason, McDonald's keeps making everything spicy. Not everyone likes burning their mouth on lunch or dinner. The Mighty Wings, Habanero Ranch...why? Hot mustard was good and spicy enough.

But there are a few things I like at McDonald's that I can't get better at Burger King. Like their frappes. I love the caramel frappe! Their apple pies are better. And the fish filet is good. I wish they'd offer an alternative to fries though, like onion rings. I haven't touched the apples since the recall.

Burger King has some things that are better too though. Their sundaes are the best. The ice cream they use is better than our local Dairy Queen. I like BK's onion rings but they don't like me. Always kills my stomach if I eat more than two. Whopper Jr. isn't bad. I think they have more substance than a McDonald's burger. The Satisfries are good when they're not mushy. I rather enjoyed the original BK fries (with ranch).

I don't care for the rib sandwich at either place, it's a texture thing. We usually eat Arby's when we aren't cooking at home though. Yes, it's OVERPRICED, but the french dip meal with poppers is so good! As for Taco Bell, the only thing I get there anymore is the Freeze. Typhoon, Baja Blast or the new energy Black Cherry one. The Dorito taco is okay though. We also have a KFC here that I've been looking into. They have a really good pot pie. But their Chicken Littles are so small that the twinkie sized bun holds no condiments.

Sorry this is so long, I'm really bored tonight, lol.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 9:17 PM, DJMedia wrote:

*Big Mac...

(Bog Mac, sheeesh!) lol

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 9:26 PM, blahblah2223 wrote:

ouch...but i agree! mcdonalds is awful!!! the new bacon clubhouse burger is HORRIBLE! WORST THAN A HAMBURGER.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 9:28 PM, ringranger1 wrote:

The real issue is that, in my area, Burger Kings (and there are 3 nearby) are almost always dirty, plus their food is even worse than McDonalds (except the new clubhouse burger, which is awful and expensive.)

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 9:35 PM, wil wrote:

Until Burger King learns to make a decent tasting cup of coffee, I'll go to McDonalds. BK coffee tastes like the coffee is from an instant or a coffee syrup. McDonalds' tastes like real coffee - and you can see the workers pour the ground coffee into the coffee maker.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 9:36 PM, tardisgurl4eva wrote:

I recently had the Big K burger at a BK in downtown Syracuse, NY. It was crap.

I bought two. One for there, and one to go.

The one I had there was Luke warm, and served on a bun that felt slightly stale. I asked for no pickles..and yes, I got pickles.

I was the ONLY customer in the indoor line, by the way. And there were hardly any cars at the drive-thru, and 7 people working behind the counter.

And, when I reminded the girl the other burger was "to go," (they both came on a tray), she made a mean face and practically threw an empty bag at me (probably because she was too lazy to actually do her effing job and just put the damn thing in the bag, like she's paid to do. which probably isn't all BK's fault. That's sort of typical of the type of worker one finds in Syracuse, in my experience.)

Thanks BK, but no thanks. I'll keep my allegiance to the Big Mac--which has always, always, come to me hot and fresh, for the past 40 years.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 9:47 PM, Diotallevi wrote:

Yeah and a Whopper has 20% more calories than a Big Mac. Newsflash: People that eat at McDonalds and Burger King don't care about calories or fat.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 10:17 PM, tribecalledmess wrote:

its a disgustingly simple fix for mickey dees .. get your asses out of the board meetings and go to the places in person ,, food is rather nasty and messy when it arrives ,, slathered in mayo and often overcooked... it never looks like the pictures,, people tend to be under trained and the service is poor,, terrible place to get a meal,, you stand in from and hear the food jockeys call out your meal.. unclassy all the way ,, gotten worse over the years .. and Burger King and Hardees has a right to kick dust in your faces,, their (Mickey Dees) sandwiches are tiny compared to everyone else,, and the commercials are ridiculously stupid,, actors dancing around a store for a really bad eating experience,,, One good thing is that the stores are clean,,, That's about all

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 10:27 PM, AmericanMan wrote:

Hey everybody, quit with the corporate hogwash and support your mom and pop local cafes and diners. Better food and they don't get involved with our masters in Washington D.C.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 10:38 PM, shotgunrosie wrote:

I recently went to McD's and ordered FF without salt and a fish sandwich. Mine were salty and hard as a rock..

I went to BK and ordered classic FF's no salt and a fish sandwich. Much better than McD's.

I've ordered a whopper, fries and drink.. cost over 7$. Are they kidding? I can go to sit down restaurant and for a few dollars more get a much better bigger burger that comes with fries.

I hadn't been to a Fast food place in years, and it will be years before I try again

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 10:39 PM, Jmsb526 wrote:

Isn't not like Burger King is #2 anymore anyway. Hasn't Wendy's been surpassing Burger King in sales for a while now, making Burger King the #3 fast-food restaurant?

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 10:50 PM, edmaster225 wrote:

lol,wendys is way better than both,but their marketing suks

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 11:04 PM, Valentine26 wrote:

Both suck. Dairy queen is still my favorite.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 11:06 PM, Valentine26 wrote:

Both suck i prefer dairy queen

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 11:14 PM, needlewings wrote:

There was a time when I liked Burger King much better when their burgers were flame broiled, but that has all changed. Miss the charbroiled flavor! The burgers aren't even that warm anymore. The King burger was a disappointment. I have to admit that the satisfries are good and the only thing that I will eat there any more. When I do fast food, I go to Wendy's for a chili , I go to DQ to pick up the best hamburger, then Burger King for the Satisfries. Yes, I do fast food hopping. lol At Micky D's, I would want a frappe' or their coffee. Other wise, I do Arby's all the way!

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 11:20 PM, toneii wrote:

Satisfries are the dumbest insult to a customer ever invented. They are an upsell from the regular fries. 40 cents more. The only difference is they have a crinkle cut. That's it. You've paid 40 cents for NOTHING, but to be treated like a fool. In fact, just to prove it to you, you'll get a few of the regular fries in you Satisfires, because they are cooked in the same oil.

The Burger King in my town is the only place in town that isn't nice. The people that eat there look like low lives and make you scared to ever go back.

• Report this Comment On March 16, 2014, at 11:37 PM, ScamuelJones wrote:

McDonald's kicks old people out of their places for lingering to eat and drink for thirty minutes as they did this week in Culpepper, VA. I don't believe Burger King has kicked anybody out for staying long! BK also honors their specials and coupons, and McDonalds lies about theirs and will NOT honor them! Case in point: McD. advertised a breakfast special nationwide on the Internet in June, 2013, and then they REFUSED to honor it the very next morning! I walked and have never been back and I will NEVER go back to these lying morons!

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 12:03 AM, McSamm wrote:

Not to mention that Mc D's kicked out a senior couple and swept dirt on their food.. Oh yea the couple was given 2 coupons for 2 small coffee after the story went out all over the web and a restaurant owner gave the couple a meal for life

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 8:47 AM, starflyer59 wrote:

Until they both lower prices I will not eat at either one. I haven't eaten at Burger King is almost 5 years.

Mcdonalds only once or twice because we were on vacation and the kids wanted to eat there.

It's just too expensive.

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 8:57 AM, Puma wrote:

All I know is, I looooove McD's Chicken McNuggets! May be pink slime, may be chicken parts, may be pigeon meat, but man oh man they taste good.

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 9:07 AM, getsickevrrytime wrote:

.......MCDONALDS BEEF PATTIES ARE ONLY 2% BEEF THE REST IS OVER 88% SILOWET, LIKE VAINS GRISOL ALL THE SLIMMY STUFF FROM FROM MEAT

.READ ON IT....THAT WHAT IVE READ ON LINE ..HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU THAT TAISTY FOOD AND A LITTLE WHILE LATER YOU FEEL SICK ,OR FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE A MC D HANGOVER......MASANTOS IS ALL IN MD........:(

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 9:09 AM, CALNNC wrote:

None of this product war will effect the continuing existence of either McD's or BK. It just makes their stock go up and down and gets a lot of free advertising through financial comments. This is just free enterprise going on. It seems McD is getting rid of their playgrounds, this may effect their bottom line more than their products because of Mom's who make a stop on the way home to let their kids burn off a little steam.

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 9:30 AM, BigMomma wrote:

McDonald took the liberal democratics approach, and made their meals smaller. I always see about 8-10 fries in the happy meals (what a waste of paper for several pieces of fries, so what the heak did they expect. I should be their CEO!

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 9:59 AM, robertwb63 wrote:

I don't care if its Burger or McDonalds or any other fast food place.....the food sucks at these places, has little nutritional value and not very good taste. I stopped eating this junk food years ago and I tried it again recently, nearly made me sick right there in the restaurant. I can't believe people really go to these places regularly...???

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 10:00 AM, SSBob wrote:

I logged on to the article out of curiosity but when I saw the comments, I had to think to myself; Thank God, thank God, my wife and I make an active effort to stay away from both BK and McDs. In fact, unlike 95% of Americans, we don't go to a rest. with a drive thru window. We haven't set foot in a McDonalds rest. in over 8 years and a BK in over 10. We don't do KFC or any other fast food joint, except Subway. The results are a family of 6 where no one is overweight, no one is on medication and healthy children. We'll make sweets at home but none of this pink slime crap.

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 10:06 AM, TEXIZZ wrote:

I like Burger King and McDonald's. I tried the Big King and can assure you that while it was tasty, it was nothing like a Big Mac! It was more like a Double BK Junior. When comparing the two, I would select a Big Mac.

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 10:28 AM, romans wrote:

we need this in Trinidad as well!!!

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 10:46 AM, Mix wrote:

I used to eat BK's original chicken sandwich all the time, back when they used to cut them in 1/2. The chic "patty" was really good. I recently got one and it has changed. It's like a weird sponge, funky tasting. Don't get it anymore. From BK I like the whopper. The only thing that makes it look big is the huge chunk of lettuce in the middle. I get one EVERY time I order a whopper. When I go to McDonalds, I get the $1 McChicken, add pickles. Best thing on the menu! Has a little spicy kick.

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 10:52 AM, Pilm wrote:

Last time I ate at a BK none of the 3 of us could eat even half our meal it was so awful. Hamburger was cold, fries were cold, coke was warm. My salad was wilted and growing never before seen bacterias. The tables and floors were dirty, as were the windows. It was my worst eating experience since Taco Bell!

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 10:58 AM, djconklin wrote:

>I won't shop BK for reason that they exploit low cost illegal immigrant laborers for their back room work, including food prep.

Just because they speak Spanish that is NOT proof that they are here illegally.

>Hamburger was cold, fries were cold, coke was warm.

I had a "cus"tomer who claimed that the sandwich was cold. The lettuce, cheese and pickles are cold, as are the condiments. The buns and meat are stored where it is nice and warm. There's no way that the pop could be warm, unless you asked for no ice on a hot day.

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 11:05 AM, nunur01 wrote:

they might as well change there name to mcdonalds since they're getting thing similar things to them

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 11:48 AM, Gary69 wrote:

Same old story. BK just cannot come up with an original idea. As always they just copy what McDonald's does and attach a different name to it. I do not know the dietary content of the fries from either company but Mickey D's still do it for me!

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 11:56 AM, MPA2000 wrote:

I don't see what all of the excitement is that the article is making this out to be?

BK is copying MCDs foods, so? That only shows they have no originality and I guess they can be called MCD #2 now.

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 12:13 PM, McDouble wrote:

I used to work at both places and I can tell you if u know what you like and order it like that it doesn't make me sick for example I prefer the mcdouble sub slivered onions instead of dehydes I went to bk and tried their dollar BBQ rib sandwich it lacked sauce they really shorten it and onion rings nasty at bk I didn't like bk king either the whopper is great if u eliminate ketchup pickles this is all just drama sparked by which competitor can get more business everyone will still order from where they want bk isn't the only place that makes it your way! I will always get my mcdouble before a big king at least it has flavor

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 12:19 PM, billj598 wrote:

Burger King is fully owned by the same Brazilian investment group that now owns Anheuser-Busch (Budweiser, Bud Light +others). 3G Capital is their name and their Principal is Brazilian born Swiss J.P. Lemann. If you want your food and beer dollars going to Brazil then be sure and buy from both of the above.

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 12:28 PM, McDouble wrote:

This is for Ssbob and others I used to eat subway now I have quit due to finding out they have chemicalsin their bread that is also put in tires to better their elasticity now since November I found out I may have cancer this is from the subs I used to buy every week for work they can't biopsy yet but after years of consuming subs I can say had I known that subway intentionally gave us chemicals I never would have eaten all those subs and if when my biopsy is performed and I have to take medicine the rest of my life I do plan on sueing for the damages subway is dead to me

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 12:44 PM, metalunan wrote:

Nice job with this article, Nickey. I was aware of McDonald's woes but not the reason for them. Although I have been known to eat at either place in a pinch, I was oblivious to the homefront attack by Burger King. Their satisfries, BK BBQ rib, and spicy chicken hold up well against the competition, but they fall short with the Big King. It's tasteless compared to the Big Mac, and the burger patties are just as small. Regardless, now I know why my inner fast food child has been whispering "lunch with the King" as of late.

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 12:50 PM, metalunan wrote:

It really isn't about Burger King copying McDonald's just for the sake of being like them. It's about business and corporate growth. It's about how to flourish in a floundering market. As long as it is done legally and ethically, should we all be so sour? I'm not a corporate flag waver for some Brazilian investment group and it is hard to get excited about fast food, but the BK marketing team is doing its job well.

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 1:22 PM, PEStudent wrote:

"The Big King looks and sounds like a Big Mac, with two patties, three buns, and special sauce. The company even pushes the comparison in its marketing."

If someone thinks they're copying the Big Mac, note that before the Big Mac, I was a high school teenager working the grill and making "Gino Giants" at one of the old "Gino's" fast-food restaurants in the Mid Atlantic Area. McD's copied the Giant. In Maryland Gino's were the only places in the 60's and early 70's you could get KFC - I cooked chicken, too.

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 1:43 PM, Starlord174 wrote:

When we eat at Burger King, I always specify the Classic fries, the so-called "Satisfries' left me colder than some of the fast food I have been served. Forty percent less fat and thirty percent fewer calories, but also 76% less taste, and taste is what I am looking for in my food. I much prefer Burger King to Mickey Dee's in the first place. I love the Whopper, and am underwhelmed by the Big Mac or Big King.

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 1:44 PM, dcoxbible1960 wrote:

I was a manager for BURGER KING for almost 20 years there food is good ,they just do'nt no how to treat employees are custermers . They talk to them like they not human ;some of the managers have no respect for others , they lie on each other ;exspecialy the district manager , you donot curse no one to get your point across . So no I will not eat there , and yes I am doing fine .

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 2:07 PM, udnhvalkycrkpipe wrote:

They have both fallen from glory. Back in the 70's it was a treat for my parents to take us to McDonalds on a Friday evening at the end of a school week. My parents said that I liked McDonald's fries so much that I would stuff them in my mouth and then shout "hot fries" after burning my jaws. Never stopped me from jamming them in.

My favorite was the Big Mac when it used to be big with real beef and full of flavor. As I entered my teens, I fell in love with the fish sandwich topped with real cheese (on real fillet of fish). I went back for the first time in 20 years last month and belched for two days. Haven't been back.

As for Burger King, back in the days you could drive down the street and see smoke from the flame-broiled burgers coming from the roof vents. The delicious aromas would make my Dad perform an illegal U-turn to get to those burgers. I never did like their fries and would always order the onion rings-back when the onions were so big I would take a bite and pull the onion out of the bread casing.

Those days are gone. It's definitely the emphasis on shareholder satisfaction combined with the lack of pride in producing a good produc that contributes to the poor quality. I doubt that BK's copycatting Mickey D's will be that significant on either company's bottom line in the long term.

Like a previous poster said: "They used to be great."

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 2:39 PM, RBN10 wrote:

The "satisfries" are terrible...anything w/ less fat is gonna taste worse than the one w/ more fat. McDonald's sales are down because they've raised prices. Nothing to do w/ BK. If you are worried about calories DON

T EAT FAST FOOD!!!

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 2:49 PM, DADEB wrote:

Does it really matter that the fries have less fat? The kids don't want to go to Burger King. They want to go where there is an indoor playground! And parents want to take them there so they can have a break. This is the only way Burger King is really going to bring in the business...

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 3:01 PM, nickeyfriedman wrote:

With 70% of the sales at the drive-thru, the food is more important than the playground.

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 4:32 PM, deneen wrote:

To be honest, back in the day McDonald's was the best until Burger King came out with their flame-broiled version of the Whopper. At that time, IMO the Whopper was by far bigger and better than the Big Mac. I personally never liked the 'special sauce." But over time, both places are nothing to brag home about. They both offer quick food...you just don't know what you're eating these days. It's better to take your $$$ and go to a buffet and get your money's worth where you'll get a nutritional meal (when better choices are made). Whether it's McD's, BK, Wendy's, Taco Bell, etc. for a quick great-tasting burger/fries, try Steak N Shake or Cookout. Now they offer quality burgers without all the hoopla...

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 4:50 PM, Koukla50 wrote:

I do like BK over McD's but I wish BK would melt the cheese on the burger instead of plopping a piece of cheese on it after it's done. When at the window the other day I actually asked the girl if she could ask the cook to please melt the cheese.

And they hardly ever give napkins unless you ask. You'd think they'd know that when you're getting a drippy cheeseburger and sticky CinnaBons! And does salt really cost that much that you have to ask for that too! Feels like an ala carte menu.

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 5:15 PM, syluba wrote:

Hadn't been to a BK in years, until recently in Boynton Beach, FL near I-95. Very friendly service, killer soda machine with incredible flavors and variations, many new tasty value menu items. The $1 rib sandwich with sweet pickles and fresh onions is fantastic. And staff came around to pick up trash! Only negative from our visits was the Wi-Fi was down two out of three days.

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 5:24 PM, Pimpdaddy wrote:

BK is the joint better service than Mickie-Dee's

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 5:26 PM, Pimpdaddy wrote:

When will MK-Dees they teach the counter person to COUNT the change if the cash regester stops working?

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 6:40 PM, mjeds wrote:

both places have garbage food so who cares?

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 7:59 PM, TColby wrote:

Their iced tea is still terrible.

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 8:32 PM, Patchess1964 wrote:

I always liked Burger king better.. Clowns I don't like... Everytime I order any sandwich from McDonald's they look like somebody sat on them just awful only thing I do like from them is the wings,,, They even mess up the original milkshake by putting whipcream and a cherry on it ewwwww....My Grandskids even choose's Burger King over McDonald's. That ought to tell people something!! Have a Nice Evening :)....

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2014, at 8:51 PM, mandalyn wrote:

The satifries may have less fat but the flavor goes down too. They taste like the ore ida fries you bake in the oven. I've never had the Big King but I would pay $6.00 for a McRib if the only other option was that gross rib thing Burger King serves. Neither one is high on my list of places to eat but I would choose McDonalds over BK unless I was getting the Whopper which no one can beat.

• Report this Comment On March 18, 2014, at 4:15 AM, Riggerwo wrote:

Fast food...I am so glad I do not eat this rubbish...blows my mind this stuff is still so popular...

• Report this Comment On March 18, 2014, at 7:18 AM, tabue wrote:

Until Burger King stops selling burgers that are grey on one side, they will never be a real threat to McDonalds. Take a bite out of a Quarter Pounder then a Whopper, no comparison.

• Report this Comment On March 18, 2014, at 8:26 AM, vikefan2009 wrote:

I wish these places had a second deep fryer with vegetable oil. I miss food with flavor. Todays fried food you have to put a ton of ketchup for flavor which I think it eliminates the calorie saving sh%%T anyway. These health nuts don't have taste buds.

• Report this Comment On March 18, 2014, at 11:58 AM, clutch58 wrote:

DQ, Hardees/Carls, Jr., and A+W-much better food.

• Report this Comment On March 18, 2014, at 12:08 PM, clutch58 wrote:

Judging from the comments-both BK and McD's have good points and bad points.